Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers too overpowered

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jul 30, 2015 wrote:
"but you cannot have a full proof strategy to counter it"

Well no kiddin'! There shouldn't be a "full proof" strategy to counter anything! Are you saying that Fog is overpowered because you haven't found a strategy that lets you beat it every stinkin' time? (Which you implied by complaining that there was no "full proof strategy" to counter it).

I almost defeated a swashbuckler with my Buccaneer, BUCCANEER of all classes. The only reason I lost was because Leviathan's Call was/is glitched and it wouldn't let me use it! Even then, I killed all his companions and got him down to half health.

There should be no full proof strategies to counter anything. The reason Zeal was overpowered is because it made your companions virtually untouchable + never missing for 10 ROUNDS! Add that to Espirit de Corps and you're guaranteed not to get hit by epic talents for 5 full turns. Thankfully that's not a problem anymore though.

I think the biggest reason swashbucklers are dominating PvP is because everyone's bought the notion that they're unstoppable. If you go into the battle thinking, "Great, another swashbuckler. Here I go to lose..." then you've already lost.

I've been developing 2 strategies to counter fog on my buccaneer. 1 has yet to be tested while the other WOULD HAVE WON had Leviathan's Call not been glitched. (Ratbeard, please fix that!)
Well again, there are strategies to counter it but its not going to work every time because nothing can consistently stop black fog, And no there isn't a 100% working strategy for everything, but at least while countering other powers you had a much higher chance of actually succeeding

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Masonpeev on Jul 30, 2015 wrote:
Well again, there are strategies to counter it but its not going to work every time because nothing can consistently stop black fog, And no there isn't a 100% working strategy for everything, but at least while countering other powers you had a much higher chance of actually succeeding
I hear what your saying bro. But I don't think they can conceivable turn down fog or cloaking without shafting the bucklers in return. The ONLY THING that I can think of that would be fair would be to fix it so that using poison...namely assassin fog or assassin mist...ALSO breaks their cloak.

As it stands a swashbuckler can safely poison from the shadows while continuing to remain hidden. Even though that poison does more damage after 5 rounds than a muskets bombs OR a witches mojo storm. Lets compare those 2 for a second. If a witch does mojo storm while cloaked not only does it not get a boost because it is built on spell power but it DOES break the cloak as well. Same with the muskets bombs. And yet poison which lasts 5 rounds and does MORE damage than either of those and is also spell based just like those, does not break the fog. This doesn't seem fair.

Especially since Assassin mist stops healing. So bucklers can short out a players ability to recover even before the real damage is done. Mr. Ratbeard can you consider adding this in? It would be a very easy fix too. All they would need to do is make the poison like the fire elf moves from wizard101. Give the poison a tiny bit of "starting damage" and then have it do its 185+ damage for 5 rounds after that. This would ensure the cloak breaks and force bucklers to make a choice between staying hidden or casting poison. It wouldn't change things a ton either. It would just give schools like privateers ONE extra window in which to get in an extra hit or heal...rather than being wiped out with no chance of recovery.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
Masonpeev on Jul 30, 2015 wrote:
"nothing can consistently stop black fog,"

This is basically the same thing as "there's no full proof strategy against black fog." rephrasing it doesn't change anything.

Is there a consistent strategy to stop Zeal (if you're not a buccaneer)? Is there any consistent strategy to counter Purge Magic? Is there any consistent counter to Highland Charge? Is there any consistent counter to the massively damaging Musketeer AoE's? What about Focus Fire? Shadow Step?

There are no consistent strategies to counter any of the most powerful class powers. You need to have malleable strategies. Be flexible in PvP and adapt to how things play out. That is the only way you will be a successful PvP'er.

Ensign
Jul 07, 2012
Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jul 31, 2015 wrote:

This is basically the same thing as "there's no full proof strategy against black fog." rephrasing it doesn't change anything.

Is there a consistent strategy to stop Zeal (if you're not a buccaneer)? Is there any consistent strategy to counter Purge Magic? Is there any consistent counter to Highland Charge? Is there any consistent counter to the massively damaging Musketeer AoE's? What about Focus Fire? Shadow Step?

There are no consistent strategies to counter any of the most powerful class powers. You need to have malleable strategies. Be flexible in PvP and adapt to how things play out. That is the only way you will be a successful PvP'er.
Is there a consistent strategy to stop:
Zeal: Purge Magic, Fog and Wait it out, Zeal itself,
Purge Magic: Run out of the zone. Also, Purge Magic has the weakness of it taking away the casters buffs as well.
Highland Charge: Hold the Line, Moo Manchu's Robe, Scorpion Swarm, Gracie's Golum, Stygian Chorus (this is the only 1 I couldn't really find a way to counter that well besides that robe)
ShadowStep: The Mighty Charge Line + Fast, Sniper Shot, MournSong, Gunnery Line, Shadow Step itself
Focus Fire: Dispel Magic (maybe, not sure), Run Away, ShadowStep, Walk in _____ or Black Fog
Musketeer Bombs: Walk around them. Alert. (They don't do that much damage unless you start bouncing around
Just to add in a couple:
Reckless Frenzy: Zeal & co, Brutal Charge Line, Buccaneer's Strike Lvl 2, Repel Boarders 3 & co
Stygian Chorus: Just about anything (lol, these things are almost pointless)
Valor's Fortress: Purge, Fog and Wait it out
Mojo Storm: Scatter Companion, High resist, WitchHunter (to a degree), Evil Eye Line
MournSong/Sniper Shot: Hide, Rally Line, get out of Line of sight, Evil Eye Line/Musketeer's Mettle Rank 2
Poison: Dispel Magic, Scatter Companions,

Consistant doesn't mean fool proof, it means that it will work most of the time, or at least a good portion of the time. Now, I don't PvP that much, so I may be corrected for some of these, but these all seem like pretty good counters to me.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Thomas Sunhammer on Jul 30, 2015 wrote:
I hear what your saying bro. But I don't think they can conceivable turn down fog or cloaking without shafting the bucklers in return. The ONLY THING that I can think of that would be fair would be to fix it so that using poison...namely assassin fog or assassin mist...ALSO breaks their cloak.

As it stands a swashbuckler can safely poison from the shadows while continuing to remain hidden. Even though that poison does more damage after 5 rounds than a muskets bombs OR a witches mojo storm. Lets compare those 2 for a second. If a witch does mojo storm while cloaked not only does it not get a boost because it is built on spell power but it DOES break the cloak as well. Same with the muskets bombs. And yet poison which lasts 5 rounds and does MORE damage than either of those and is also spell based just like those, does not break the fog. This doesn't seem fair.

Especially since Assassin mist stops healing. So bucklers can short out a players ability to recover even before the real damage is done. Mr. Ratbeard can you consider adding this in? It would be a very easy fix too. All they would need to do is make the poison like the fire elf moves from wizard101. Give the poison a tiny bit of "starting damage" and then have it do its 185+ damage for 5 rounds after that. This would ensure the cloak breaks and force bucklers to make a choice between staying hidden or casting poison. It wouldn't change things a ton either. It would just give schools like privateers ONE extra window in which to get in an extra hit or heal...rather than being wiped out with no chance of recovery.
That could work too

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014

No but countering the strategy all swashbucklers use with black fog is much harder then countering anything from the other classes, besides maybe zeal

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Masonpeev on Jul 31, 2015 wrote:
No but countering the strategy all swashbucklers use with black fog is much harder then countering anything from the other classes, besides maybe zeal
I would put Battle Zeal ahead of Black Fog for sure because it can affect more team members and it lasts for 3 rounds. The hidden aspect of Fog might last for 5 rounds, but the damage is a one time thing. Beating a decent Witch or Musket without Fog is very hard and the Buckler would lose many more of these battles than they would ever win. Privateers used to be impossible for Bucklers to beat. If the new pvp rules go live and remain unchanged, then Bucklers can compete against Privateers with some confidence finally. Fog basically defines the Buckler class and if it were removed or nerfed it would be the end of that classes ability to be competitive. It can't be altered unless something else is added. Personally, I would hate to see Fog changed at all, but if it were, perhaps something like a hide/debuff could be added. Bucklers can't dodge or hit characters most of the time when they have Battle Zeal on their side and when a Privateers crew starts hitting critical after critical it can end the match very quickly. On their way across the board to attack ranged units, the Buckler's opponents have time to use buffs and shields. I've had crew members wiped out in a single round by Chantal when she goes on an agility buff induced Burst Fire rampage. Throw in the damage she does to others nearby with her Double Taps and soon your down to just you and one other crew member...unless your pirate was the one Chantal took out first. For those who say that a 'really good' Buckler can get by without Fog I would reply with this...yes they can, but they would have to get very lucky or be facing a less experienced opponent or both. Also, to make Bucklers so difficult to win with unless you're a pro would alienate players from wanting to play the class and cause an imbalance in the game. When I play one of my other characters/classes, I have to worry much less about certain powers coming up and can easily change strategy mid-match. This is next to impossible to do with Bucklers.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
Voodoo Cornelius on Jul 31, 2015 wrote:
Is there a consistent strategy to stop:
Zeal: Purge Magic, Fog and Wait it out, Zeal itself,
Purge Magic: Run out of the zone. Also, Purge Magic has the weakness of it taking away the casters buffs as well.
Highland Charge: Hold the Line, Moo Manchu's Robe, Scorpion Swarm, Gracie's Golum, Stygian Chorus (this is the only 1 I couldn't really find a way to counter that well besides that robe)
ShadowStep: The Mighty Charge Line + Fast, Sniper Shot, MournSong, Gunnery Line, Shadow Step itself
Focus Fire: Dispel Magic (maybe, not sure), Run Away, ShadowStep, Walk in _____ or Black Fog
Musketeer Bombs: Walk around them. Alert. (They don't do that much damage unless you start bouncing around
Just to add in a couple:
Reckless Frenzy: Zeal & co, Brutal Charge Line, Buccaneer's Strike Lvl 2, Repel Boarders 3 & co
Stygian Chorus: Just about anything (lol, these things are almost pointless)
Valor's Fortress: Purge, Fog and Wait it out
Mojo Storm: Scatter Companion, High resist, WitchHunter (to a degree), Evil Eye Line
MournSong/Sniper Shot: Hide, Rally Line, get out of Line of sight, Evil Eye Line/Musketeer's Mettle Rank 2
Poison: Dispel Magic, Scatter Companions,

Consistant doesn't mean fool proof, it means that it will work most of the time, or at least a good portion of the time. Now, I don't PvP that much, so I may be corrected for some of these, but these all seem like pretty good counters to me.
As it's been made out to seem by others, a "consistent strategy" has to be foolproof.

While we're add it lets list of some counters to Black Fog, shall we?

Hide in Shadows (protects your pirate), Valor's Fort spamming or Zeal just before they attack (For all you privateers out there), Summons spamming (Terror Cotta Troupe + Scorpion Swarm), bomb/trap spamming (musketeer's tactic seems to work fairly well), Shadow Step when they get near (Also pirate only), Fog itself, Valor's Shield + Levy's Call (buccaneer geared counter for pirate only), or just use companions with LOTS of health and buff their agility to stop relentless spams.

None of them are foolproof but each of them will work to an extent. If there was a "consistent" strategy to use against Fog, everyone would use it and then where would we be? Stuck with another useless Swashbuckler power like Gallant Defense. Plus if the strategy worked on Fog you could bet it'd work on the other hides too, and then all the hide line of powers would be, again, useless, cause everyone would use it.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013

zeal- move back its 3 rounds, purge it

purge magic- move back its 3 spaces, also removes casters buff so just kill the caster then, bring your own purge magic

highlands charge- zeal, fog, knockback bombs, hide in a corner

musket aoes- pop a fort, dont get in range

focus fire- its one round for 25% damage, its not even that good i never use this

shadowstep- your own shadowstep, purge magic, any shield literally any shield

fog-corner and let 2 of your guys die? some bombs they take half damage from? your own vicious(oh wait you cant reduce em), zeal doesnt stop critical hits and reduces

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Ratbeard on Jul 28, 2015 wrote:
Privateers especially who are completely built on being able to over stack and buff up their companions REALLY got the shaft with this new rule.

I'm in the process of dialing back the defense stacking now, and I would not be surprised if it was gone completely before we go to Live.
I'm confused, does this mean we will be allowed to shield stack now?

Developer
Masonpeev on Aug 2, 2015 wrote:
I'm confused, does this mean we will be allowed to shield stack now?
Yep.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Ratbeard on Aug 3, 2015 wrote:
Yep.
Will it be coming this test realm? or did it already come and i never noticed?

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
zuto4011a on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
lets use the american voting system, the electoral college votes on the president, the electors usually vote on what they're state says however in the past some electers have gone against this, the founding fathers made it this way because the minority was smarter and better, if thats the case in p101 which it is then yes the minority should be listened to, btw that 50m was also including wiz, this game has 10m maybe, that super mojo was completely lucked based and rarely happens, the bad idea of ki for the complete freeze first turn also assisted that, again with the musket its simply the map, there used to be cover but now there isnt, until cover maps are made there isnt a way to stop this, that isnt a power problem its a map problem, the whole not showing thing is kinda dumb, ki really should make it so your first power always appears first turn, it does get truly annoying when its your last first page power to show, for muskets use a sacrifice, have another buckler take the damage then have your team run in through the gap, but without cover this is a new problem, with cover you could hide behind a pillar to avoid damage while waiting out bombs, bombs used to be skillfulish, requiring the best bomb to only be used once its too costly to not charge such as having 2 whales might, 1 levy, 1 fort, and a krakens coil on, a for would be forced to charge then or run the risk of being horribly outmatched with buffs later, my solution for your witch and musket problem is to have the old map thrown into the map rotation, after all it is the map that many got used too and overall the most balanced map and most dynamic, you are correct in saying that the majority should have a voice, but if this was an opera and that voice wasnt the strongest or best would that voice be the lead voice?
Lets not do it the way the forefathers did. This is a 'for profit' venture. The last thing anyone would want to do is base their business model on the U.S. government lol. I understand where you're coming from...you know better than the rest of us and the elite should tell us all what's good for us lol. In cases like this, the majority rules with their dollars and if you alienate a source of revenue, what are you left with? In the words of our dear friend, Mister Spock...'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few'. As a blood thirsty pvp enthusiast and master tactician, you of all people should understand that. Also...who listens to opera? Geez. No wonder you're always so angry. Try some top 40 once in a while. Besides, what good is that lead voice if it doesn't have the rest of the voices and musicians backing it up? It would just be some woman wearing a Viking helmet, standing there screaming at us with her lead voice. Most people that do that get institutionalized...just saying :D

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
I still do not understand why KI is allowing things such as the moo manchu robe and black fog when there are so many message boards posts and angry players that seek to get rid of these things, although now there are "counters" to black fog such as first strike 3, this just means that we cannot use hide against a swashbuckler anymore and that they will not attack the person with first strike 3, also, I do thank ratbeard for bringing back the defensive stacking but this also just means that swashbucklers can shield stack as well while in fog/hide. Eric stormbringer himself, A SWASHBUCKLER, was talking about counters to black fog, and one of them that he mentioned seemed very nice, repel borders 3 activating hide, this will finally be an effective counter AND will fix the problem of privateer companions being "weak" since most of them can train repel borders this will suddenly make them more useful then they previously were.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Masonpeev on Aug 15, 2015 wrote:
I still do not understand why KI is allowing things such as the moo manchu robe and black fog when there are so many message boards posts and angry players that seek to get rid of these things, although now there are "counters" to black fog such as first strike 3, this just means that we cannot use hide against a swashbuckler anymore and that they will not attack the person with first strike 3, also, I do thank ratbeard for bringing back the defensive stacking but this also just means that swashbucklers can shield stack as well while in fog/hide. Eric stormbringer himself, A SWASHBUCKLER, was talking about counters to black fog, and one of them that he mentioned seemed very nice, repel borders 3 activating hide, this will finally be an effective counter AND will fix the problem of privateer companions being "weak" since most of them can train repel borders this will suddenly make them more useful then they previously were.
Repel boarders to counter fog is a really bad idea. Basically it renders melee units with repel boarders 3 COMPLETE IMMUNITY to melee midden players, let alone over watch... basically forcing the buckler to use ranged companions that will still hit you hidden because repel boarders/over watch won't work on them. Honestly, I'm fine with hidden the way it is right now. The ONLY thing I think should change is the ability for bucklers to use purge magic while in the shadows. That seems a bit unfair that I lose all my shields yet the swashbuckler can't be hit by my buccaneer until he or she strikes first. Other than that, I'm fine with the hidden mechanic right now.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Masonpeev on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
I have been facing some serious difficulties in this test realm as a buccaneer doing PvP. First of all, we now cannot shield stack which puts a huge huge hole in our defense, and on top of that we can't debuff stack either, which is also a key part of our strategy. This has come for me to say that buccaneer is extremely weak whereas swashbuckler has turned into a no brainer class, all they have to do is go into black fog, (which is still 2x for 5 round when it should be 1.5x for 5 rounds) then apply a curse onto you and your companions, and then all 4 people on the opposing side will just take down your captain, and then they can just easily destroy your companions. Some people may say that you can counter this by going into hidden yourself but if you do this then what the swashbuckler is going to do is kill off your companions, then its 1 vs 4, how is this fair? Not to mention this also destroys privateers because they also, again, shield stack so that they can defend themselves against swashbucklers, but now, there is absolutely no way of defense against this extremely overpowered class
Ya know...I admit that Fog is powerful. It should be. It's the Swashbuckler's signature power. However, the constant complaining is getting old. Anyone who says there is no counter to Fog is wrong and not trying hard enough. I have a counter that my Buck uses and it makes my whole team immune to the damage aspect of Black Fog. It even punishes the Buckler for using Fog. It is an easy counter and if you haven't figured it out yet, then that just goes to further illustrate my point that people are spending to much time complaining and not enough time trying new strategies.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Spiral Cowboy on Aug 16, 2015 wrote:
Ya know...I admit that Fog is powerful. It should be. It's the Swashbuckler's signature power. However, the constant complaining is getting old. Anyone who says there is no counter to Fog is wrong and not trying hard enough. I have a counter that my Buck uses and it makes my whole team immune to the damage aspect of Black Fog. It even punishes the Buckler for using Fog. It is an easy counter and if you haven't figured it out yet, then that just goes to further illustrate my point that people are spending to much time complaining and not enough time trying new strategies.
No, there are counters now but nothing consistent as the swashbuckler can still easily shut down 1.5-2 companions in fog, the only counter is getting a full first strike 3 team, but this is just ridiculous for a buccaneer because then we cannot buff up or use companions who can charge

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Masonpeev on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
No, there are counters now but nothing consistent as the swashbuckler can still easily shut down 1.5-2 companions in fog, the only counter is getting a full first strike 3 team, but this is just ridiculous for a buccaneer because then we cannot buff up or use companions who can charge
Train Ratbeard in FS3, hold the line 2 or 3, repel boarders ( which now comes with a de-buff, ugh ). Ratbeard's a buck, he can take advantage of removing hide and use your strength buffs as well. Kobe is a strong companion for bucks, train him also in FS3.
If you choose not to use the new ways to remove hide, then you'll continue to lose "consistently".

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
anecorbie on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
Train Ratbeard in FS3, hold the line 2 or 3, repel boarders ( which now comes with a de-buff, ugh ). Ratbeard's a buck, he can take advantage of removing hide and use your strength buffs as well. Kobe is a strong companion for bucks, train him also in FS3.
If you choose not to use the new ways to remove hide, then you'll continue to lose "consistently".
Kobe and ratbeard, that also completely messes up another side of what i'm doing, and then what about my 3d companion? he'll just get charged, kobe is a swashbuckler, I am a buccaneer, so he's not that good for me. Ratbeard is ok but I have other companions that would be better suited, and why is it that I need to make such huge sacrifices just to barely win against one class and the swashbuckler can just go with his regular strategy? how is that fair

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Masonpeev on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
Kobe and ratbeard, that also completely messes up another side of what i'm doing, and then what about my 3d companion? he'll just get charged, kobe is a swashbuckler, I am a buccaneer, so he's not that good for me. Ratbeard is ok but I have other companions that would be better suited, and why is it that I need to make such huge sacrifices just to barely win against one class and the swashbuckler can just go with his regular strategy? how is that fair
I don't go with a "regular strategy", I have to adjust and be flexible, I have to be able to fight Musketeers, Witchdoctors, Privateers and Buccaneers and none of these require a set strategy. Oh yes and I also have to be prepared for another Swashbuckler.
FYI, Kobe is tough, a great companion for a Buck and he can face other SBs. Ratbeard and KI has given viable tools to battle BF. As I maintain and always will, if you don't take advantage of tools don't expect KI to just give you a victory.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
ShadowStrikerV2 on Aug 1, 2015 wrote:
As it's been made out to seem by others, a "consistent strategy" has to be foolproof.

While we're add it lets list of some counters to Black Fog, shall we?

Hide in Shadows (protects your pirate), Valor's Fort spamming or Zeal just before they attack (For all you privateers out there), Summons spamming (Terror Cotta Troupe + Scorpion Swarm), bomb/trap spamming (musketeer's tactic seems to work fairly well), Shadow Step when they get near (Also pirate only), Fog itself, Valor's Shield + Levy's Call (buccaneer geared counter for pirate only), or just use companions with LOTS of health and buff their agility to stop relentless spams.

None of them are foolproof but each of them will work to an extent. If there was a "consistent" strategy to use against Fog, everyone would use it and then where would we be? Stuck with another useless Swashbuckler power like Gallant Defense. Plus if the strategy worked on Fog you could bet it'd work on the other hides too, and then all the hide line of powers would be, again, useless, cause everyone would use it.
Can us buccaneers borrow your gallant defense? :D

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
anecorbie on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
I don't go with a "regular strategy", I have to adjust and be flexible, I have to be able to fight Musketeers, Witchdoctors, Privateers and Buccaneers and none of these require a set strategy. Oh yes and I also have to be prepared for another Swashbuckler.
FYI, Kobe is tough, a great companion for a Buck and he can face other SBs. Ratbeard and KI has given viable tools to battle BF. As I maintain and always will, if you don't take advantage of tools don't expect KI to just give you a victory.
The "tools" require me to sacrifice other major things

Developer
Masonpeev on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:
The "tools" require me to sacrifice other major things
Yes. Yes they do.

To repeat:

Countering the swashbuckler's specific, intended class design requires planning in advance, it requires sacrifice, it requires successful execution, and it sometimes requires the luck of the draw. If you're looking for "consistency" that would in any way obviate those requirements, you're on the wrong track.

Buccaneers are probably the best suited class for dealing with swashbucklers. So "Bucc Up!"

You're not getting a nerf to Black Fog, you're not getting a "direct counter," you're not getting consistency-- in short, you're not going to be handed an easy win.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Ratbeard on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:
Yes. Yes they do.

To repeat:

Countering the swashbuckler's specific, intended class design requires planning in advance, it requires sacrifice, it requires successful execution, and it sometimes requires the luck of the draw. If you're looking for "consistency" that would in any way obviate those requirements, you're on the wrong track.

Buccaneers are probably the best suited class for dealing with swashbucklers. So "Bucc Up!"

You're not getting a nerf to Black Fog, you're not getting a "direct counter," you're not getting consistency-- in short, you're not going to be handed an easy win.
If I don't get handed an easy win then why do they get to have an easy win? and yes thats true now that we can shield stack (which i'm very thankful for) we CAN counter them, but they can still easily destroy our companions within the first 3 rounds and then hide again while applying poisons which go past our buccaneer shields