Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers too overpowered

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
spiritrules101 on Sep 17, 2015 wrote:
Trying not to be rude at all, I want any single counter to those other than Black Fog, and from you. From your speech, I can tell that you were using them. Please remember that it's not nice to have a VERY luck depending and extremely time consuming advantage, and many people don't have those two. Now it should all be fair play, everyone can use Old Scratch for instance.
So true

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2015
Masonpeev on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
At higher ranks not only swashbucklers have moo robes, EVERYONE has moo robes (except me)
i don't have moo robes

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
mario king on Sep 20, 2015 wrote:
i don't have moo robes
I didn't literally mean "EVERYONE" I just meant 90% of the people at higher ranks used that robe

Ensign
Feb 18, 2013
Ratbeard on Jul 27, 2015 wrote:
Well from facing 20 swashbucklers out of 30 ranked pvp matches which should already send a message they all use black fog within the first 2 turns

No, it really doesn't send any message at all for any class to use the best version they have of the best power they have. That is not an "alarm bells" situation.

Swashbucklers have a very limited set of powers and those powers are limited to a very specific kind of play.

Swashbucklers hide, they poison, and they backstab-- with just a couple of other things thrown in for variety.

It really should not come as a surprise to see swashbucklers, both the inexperienced and the experienced alike, playing to their obvious strengths.
You know Ratbeard, I agree. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. I'm a clear example. I've won some, I've lost some in PvP, but the most important thing: I had fun.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Hello everyone,

I did a little test yesterday. I played with my high level Swashbuckler. I am an inexperienced player when it comes to swash, I don't have proper gear nor I understand companions usage in PvP.. But my matches were SO much easier then with my Witchdoctor, who I pay the best and strategize much better then with Swash.

I mean, all I had to do is use black fog, boost and attack. I am charging with everything I have, I am even stepping on the traps. I managed to cripple the enemy with one blow so hard that there is no going back for opponent, and all that within first 2-3 rounds. Now that we are revealed, all my companions dies, since they were already at half health bcs of traps, big guns and so on, and I am really damaged, on red health sometimes too..

All I had to do at this point is hide, heal, shield, and attack again. Done! Playing with swash is really really easy. I thought that I am mistaken and that Swashes need some kind of strategie, but I just proved myself wrong.

No frustrations, not hard matches, people even flee after my first attack. I guess it is really the age of Swashes.

I like playing with my witch, but I had few battles against swashes where surviving is not possible. I think I will just enjoy with my Swash for the time being till something changes in favor towards other classes.

Hidden really solves everything. It gives me chance to revive till opponent is unable to hit me or do anything that will change the course of the match.

Sincerely,
Greedy Duncan

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Duncan StormThief on Sep 21, 2015 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I did a little test yesterday. I played with my high level Swashbuckler. I am an inexperienced player when it comes to swash, I don't have proper gear nor I understand companions usage in PvP.. But my matches were SO much easier then with my Witchdoctor, who I pay the best and strategize much better then with Swash.

I mean, all I had to do is use black fog, boost and attack. I am charging with everything I have, I am even stepping on the traps. I managed to cripple the enemy with one blow so hard that there is no going back for opponent, and all that within first 2-3 rounds. Now that we are revealed, all my companions dies, since they were already at half health bcs of traps, big guns and so on, and I am really damaged, on red health sometimes too..

All I had to do at this point is hide, heal, shield, and attack again. Done! Playing with swash is really really easy. I thought that I am mistaken and that Swashes need some kind of strategie, but I just proved myself wrong.

No frustrations, not hard matches, people even flee after my first attack. I guess it is really the age of Swashes.

I like playing with my witch, but I had few battles against swashes where surviving is not possible. I think I will just enjoy with my Swash for the time being till something changes in favor towards other classes.

Hidden really solves everything. It gives me chance to revive till opponent is unable to hit me or do anything that will change the course of the match.

Sincerely,
Greedy Duncan
Shame to have lost one of the few other Witchdoctors ranked Hero or higher last season. Hope you enjoy your time with the Buckler class and I assure you that you will make it to the place your Witch was, if not higher, with much less effort.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Alex Hawkins on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
Shame to have lost one of the few other Witchdoctors ranked Hero or higher last season. Hope you enjoy your time with the Buckler class and I assure you that you will make it to the place your Witch was, if not higher, with much less effort.
Thank you for your kind words.

Even if I like how easy it is with Swash, I think I prefer challenge with my Witch.

My goal is to reach champion with my Witch this season too. I would feel bad if I didn't try to get Fall PvP Champion Badge. My summer one is looking good on me.

Further more I want to try lower lvl PvP with my Privy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hello everyone,

Sincerely,
Greedy Duncan
You were playing at Contender Level, a few days after the new season reset. All former summer champions had already progressed to the higher levels if you had met them, the story would have been different, what matches you got were with the barely competent.
For example I was matched with a musketeer. When I saw this, I began preparing my Musket strategy. Then I saw his companions: El Toro Hawkules and Monkey King! ( not a single musket! ) Then I saw that he was equipped with a slashy/stabby combo! ( really? yes, really! )
that's when I just forted Nausica, El Toro buff, Fan buff. Then next round fogged. He didn't barricade or place bombs or traps. This was the fastest, easiest match I've had. and if I was using Swash for the first time ( like you ) it would have convinced me that swash is easy and doesn't require strategy.
To what you said about swash being easy -"BULL!" We require just as much strategy as any class!
Why is there such a double standard being shown among PVP competitors? If a SB wins a match, it's no big deal "They have fog" but when a Buck or any other class wins, well, "That's superior strategy"
All this Swashbuckler hating and disrespect is getting old.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
anecorbie on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
You were playing at Contender Level, a few days after the new season reset. All former summer champions had already progressed to the higher levels if you had met them, the story would have been different, what matches you got were with the barely competent.
For example I was matched with a musketeer. When I saw this, I began preparing my Musket strategy. Then I saw his companions: El Toro Hawkules and Monkey King! ( not a single musket! ) Then I saw that he was equipped with a slashy/stabby combo! ( really? yes, really! )
that's when I just forted Nausica, El Toro buff, Fan buff. Then next round fogged. He didn't barricade or place bombs or traps. This was the fastest, easiest match I've had. and if I was using Swash for the first time ( like you ) it would have convinced me that swash is easy and doesn't require strategy.
To what you said about swash being easy -"BULL!" We require just as much strategy as any class!
Why is there such a double standard being shown among PVP competitors? If a SB wins a match, it's no big deal "They have fog" but when a Buck or any other class wins, well, "That's superior strategy"
It was the first night of fall season.

I am not new at Ranked PvP so I am pretty capable of distinguishing between serious players and unexperiencing ones.

I am sry that you felt disrespected, that wasn't my intention.

I was dealing with traps, bombs, big guns, even black fog. But overcoming these obstacles was really an easy task. My comps are nowhere prepared or trained well for PvP, and again, black fog + critical strike is all I need.

I will try to work on my gear now and companions and see how it looks to play with fully prepared Swash.

I was making a comparison from solely my experience between Swash and Witch. Playing with Swash requires far less work and strategizing. No matter what I do, hidden is always around as a safe escape till I get back in game.

If you have high level Witch by any chance, try it out and see the difference. First thing you will notice is that you require low level gear in order to acquire much needed protection. All Swash need is acquired in AQ or Tower of Moo Manchu.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Hello everyone,

Sincerely,
Greedy Duncan
And then swashbucklers say that there is actual strategy in their technique, which in reality, there isn't. I have noticed that yes buccaneer can be more destructive at times but the moves are much more obvious for swashbuckler then any other class. Playing as Buccaneer/Musketeer/Witchdoctor/Privateer even if you're stronger then the class you're facing you have to have perfect or close to perfect positioning to win the match and if you mess up it could cost you the game. As a swashbuckler these issues are much less relevant because even if you mess up you can just hide and heal the next turn, no harm done

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Swashbucklers require much less strategy then any class, and close to every Champion in game says it. And I did a few ranked matches and at the "contender level" all I face is champion swashbucklers so explain that

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Masonpeev on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
Swashbucklers require much less strategy then any class, and close to every Champion in game says it. And I did a few ranked matches and at the "contender level" all I face is champion swashbucklers so explain that
This last comment just proves my previous statement of a severe prejudice, disrespect and hatred to my class.
Which champion swashbucklers are saying it requires less strategy? I wonder if Quick Harry Abbott would agree?. Or other SB champions I know personally?
It takes less strategy IMO, to be a Privateer or Buccaneer- buff, shield and charge.
Explaining who you get matched with isn't my department, save that question for Ratbeard.

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
*Sighs* I have a max buckler (my main is a musket) and reading topics like this is the reason why I stay away from PvP

I am glad to know that the black fog won't be nerfed though.

Slick Tabitha Silver, 65 Musketeer
Witty Hazel Jackson, 65 Swashbuckler
Crazy Grace Kidd, 24 Buccaneer

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
Masonpeev on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
And then swashbucklers say that there is actual strategy in their technique, which in reality, there isn't. I have noticed that yes buccaneer can be more destructive at times but the moves are much more obvious for swashbuckler then any other class. Playing as Buccaneer/Musketeer/Witchdoctor/Privateer even if you're stronger then the class you're facing you have to have perfect or close to perfect positioning to win the match and if you mess up it could cost you the game. As a swashbuckler these issues are much less relevant because even if you mess up you can just hide and heal the next turn, no harm done
Tell me more about my lack of strategy.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
This last comment just proves my previous statement of a severe prejudice, disrespect and hatred to my class.
Which champion swashbucklers are saying it requires less strategy? I wonder if Quick Harry Abbott would agree?. Or other SB champions I know personally?
It takes less strategy IMO, to be a Privateer or Buccaneer- buff, shield and charge.
Explaining who you get matched with isn't my department, save that question for Ratbeard.
Of course the swashbuckler champions wouldn't agree, they're swashbucklers lol, but Reckless Christopher agrees and Fiery Zane Newell agrees. And its only the first few moves that may seem obvious to you, buff shield charge works vs witchdoctors and privateers. I wouldn't be able to charge a swashbuckler because by then they'd be in fog and i'd have wasted my buffs. So all of this is out of the question vs a buckler or maybe buck, the late game requires intense strategy and planning as a buccaneer or any other class. If as a swashbuckler you mess up all you have to do is hide heal then curse us so we can't heal and assasin. simple. Best buccaneer and musketeer agree with me so you now have 2 of the best of each class agreeing and another buccaneer champion along with who knows how many other people.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
FairLady1882 on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
*Sighs* I have a max buckler (my main is a musket) and reading topics like this is the reason why I stay away from PvP

I am glad to know that the black fog won't be nerfed though.

Fog isn't really the issue anymore, now this has just become a chat room of speculation over swashbuckler pretty much

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
Masonpeev on Sep 23, 2015 wrote:
Of course the swashbuckler champions wouldn't agree, they're swashbucklers lol, but Reckless Christopher agrees and Fiery Zane Newell agrees. And its only the first few moves that may seem obvious to you, buff shield charge works vs witchdoctors and privateers. I wouldn't be able to charge a swashbuckler because by then they'd be in fog and i'd have wasted my buffs. So all of this is out of the question vs a buckler or maybe buck, the late game requires intense strategy and planning as a buccaneer or any other class. If as a swashbuckler you mess up all you have to do is hide heal then curse us so we can't heal and assasin. simple. Best buccaneer and musketeer agree with me so you now have 2 of the best of each class agreeing and another buccaneer champion along with who knows how many other people.
Chris is one of my best friends in game and I know for a fact that he thinks bucklers are easy to fight he has told me. And Zane is also one of my good friends and buckler is not a easy class for him I keep telling him to get otter but he won't listen x x Any way as buckler is prob at most 2d best maybe 3d because a musket that uses old scratch and then uses his mojo buff uses an aoe hit can do 2000 damage that's the same as an hide assassin but to a group. But buckler is no longer the most op class so many things to wreck bucklers these days

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
the midnightpirate on Sep 23, 2015 wrote:
Chris is one of my best friends in game and I know for a fact that he thinks bucklers are easy to fight he has told me. And Zane is also one of my good friends and buckler is not a easy class for him I keep telling him to get otter but he won't listen x x Any way as buckler is prob at most 2d best maybe 3d because a musket that uses old scratch and then uses his mojo buff uses an aoe hit can do 2000 damage that's the same as an hide assassin but to a group. But buckler is no longer the most op class so many things to wreck bucklers these days
I'll have to agree with Harry here. As I found out in the summer with my Buck, and I am finding out with my Privy this season so far, Swashbucklers are not "overpowered" anymore. I still think Purge should remove hidden, but aside from that the complains that lead to this threat being started (main Black Fog) have been dealt with already with changes to first strike 3, buff to scent and buff to raise barricade.

The way I see it now, there is only one class that is really weak at the moment and that is Witchdoctor. The other classes Privateers, Musketeers, Swashbucklers and Buccaneers can all take games off of one another and are reasonably balanced. Perhaps one has a small edge over the other, but that's the nature of PvP games.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
EXCUSE ME? Privateer takes less strategy then swashbuckler? HAHAHA NO why dont you try to get a privy to champ? then you can tell me they require less strategy then black fog, fan buff, fort, charge

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Chris says that because he has a full first strike 3 team

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Alex Hawkins on Sep 23, 2015 wrote:
I'll have to agree with Harry here. As I found out in the summer with my Buck, and I am finding out with my Privy this season so far, Swashbucklers are not "overpowered" anymore. I still think Purge should remove hidden, but aside from that the complains that lead to this threat being started (main Black Fog) have been dealt with already with changes to first strike 3, buff to scent and buff to raise barricade.

The way I see it now, there is only one class that is really weak at the moment and that is Witchdoctor. The other classes Privateers, Musketeers, Swashbucklers and Buccaneers can all take games off of one another and are reasonably balanced. Perhaps one has a small edge over the other, but that's the nature of PvP games.
Look at the date of this post, I know black fog isn't an issue anymore

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
Chris says that because he has a full first strike 3 team
Maybe you should do the same and don't say but I can't because I am poor because it only takes 10$ just do what most of the people do and go out and earn it

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Sep 23, 2015 wrote:
EXCUSE ME? Privateer takes less strategy then swashbuckler? HAHAHA NO why dont you try to get a privy to champ? then you can tell me they require less strategy then black fog, fan buff, fort, charge
Oh, sorry there, Robert. But now you've had just a little taste of what I'm going through.
"Swashbuckler is easy."
"Swashbuckler doesn't need much strategy"
"Nerf Hide, nerf poison, nerf, nerf nerf."

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
Fog isn't really the issue anymore, now this has just become a chat room of speculation over swashbuckler pretty much
I know that it isn't an issue anymore. I'm just expressing my relief that it won't be nerfed. I've been following the thread, so I'm aware of the buckler speculation going on.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Maybe you should do the same and don't say but I can't because I am poor because it only takes 10$ just do what most of the people do and go out and earn it
The point is that i'd be setting for one class which means my team would be way less effective towards other classes which I also commonly face , and his strategy requires a 12k scrip banner which fyi isn't that easy to get