Privateers overpowered in a team fight?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
zuto4011a on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
would you people please stop complaining about my tactics and just buy the companions! btw ruthless kayla davis managed to beat me
I wish it were that simple, but i can't "buy" nausica because i live in the UK and i can't go all the way to the US just to get a game card. And either way, money is money, if you're implying that i should buy companions to win, then that's horrible advice. Are you encouraging a "Pay to win" game? I hope not, that's an outrageous idea.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
94
zuto4011a on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
would you people please stop complaining about my tactics and just buy the companions! btw ruthless kayla davis managed to beat me
Some people just don't have the money...

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
Anyway I find nausica bad just wait for zeena and I hate her sounds when she shoots an arrow its annoying just use bonnie Anne or someother musketeers I would rather spend money on membership then companions
Have to admit I did buy the monquistador crossbowmen and monquistador explorer when I still was learning the game because the explorer has no epics and crossbowmen only gets return fire which I think is the worst with no other epics but perfect with burst fire 2

Lieutenant
Jul 15, 2013
122
I honestly agree that musketeers are more powerful in PvP so are privateers are too I have to ask my bro who is lvl 43 to sometimes help me in Aquila those dang increased critical work so well but other than that musketeers work great than soloists :p

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
I don't need help much but I do have some friends that are great and have completed the game sometimes he follows me everywhere with his aquila galleon and helps with bosses

Ensign
Dec 22, 2012
35
Well we know that Musketeers are powerhouses in PvP. Trapping, putting up spikes, hitting more than one people at once, that can drive the Minotaur 3 times crazy!!!
Swashbucklers can be decent foes if they have appropriate protection.
Buccaneers ... I really don't know what to say. But they run into battles and get themselves killed ... a lot. Witches, they are strong, especially to melee classes because of the ability to slow, teleport, summon people, and an uncanny ability to miss a lot. Plus Leviathan Call doesn't matter to them
Privateers, all they do is buff. I hope they remember that they do run out eventually. I got to witness

Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
960
I'm tired of people always saying to nerf something when they find a challenge. C'mon people create strategies and work together. Most importantly if your crew isn't trained don't blame the other player for your loss at pvp. Every class is different with different strengths and abilities if you lose against them you need to develop something different. No battle is impossible.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
DuranteRamses87 on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
I'm tired of people always saying to nerf something when they find a challenge. C'mon people create strategies and work together. Most importantly if your crew isn't trained don't blame the other player for your loss at pvp. Every class is different with different strengths and abilities if you lose against them you need to develop something different. No battle is impossible.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Very well said and I highly second your opinion.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
324
basically, here is how this thread goes ( like most other arguments spawned about this): non privs. are angry because in a team fight, privs. are basically god. then privs. get angry and point out that without the buffs they would be useless. now look, in a team fight, there is no denying that privs. are WAY too much. the simplest solution to me is to simply shorten the length of the buffs. if that could happen, then privs. would be easier to fight, without actually becoming that much weaker. i know that alot of privs. thinkeveryone else just needs to be better, but there is no denying that privs. are just too much.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Blixet on Feb 26, 2014 wrote:
basically, here is how this thread goes ( like most other arguments spawned about this): non privs. are angry because in a team fight, privs. are basically god. then privs. get angry and point out that without the buffs they would be useless. now look, in a team fight, there is no denying that privs. are WAY too much. the simplest solution to me is to simply shorten the length of the buffs. if that could happen, then privs. would be easier to fight, without actually becoming that much weaker. i know that alot of privs. thinkeveryone else just needs to be better, but there is no denying that privs. are just too much.
But when fighting PvE those buffs will save your tush and are very much needed. Please guys think about the game when you want to rearrange things to make PvP easier. The whole point of the game is to defeat the enemy and all the strengths and weaknesses of all the classes balance out and cover each other brilliantly.

Ensign
Feb 08, 2014
23
I don't mind their healing as there are ways to counter it. (poison,curse,etc) and when you think about the buffs well powers never miss and as the ranged classes have more powers than the meele ones they can do that better. Another thing is their accuracy, again you can outlast it like if your a witch doctor use charm for a round and watch them attack eachother. A swash buckler can just hide himself and a buccaneer can tank through it. Musketeers can lay traps to delay and privateers can use their own buffs.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
324
Ultimatemagic1 on Mar 1, 2014 wrote:
I don't mind their healing as there are ways to counter it. (poison,curse,etc) and when you think about the buffs well powers never miss and as the ranged classes have more powers than the meele ones they can do that better. Another thing is their accuracy, again you can outlast it like if your a witch doctor use charm for a round and watch them attack eachother. A swash buckler can just hide himself and a buccaneer can tank through it. Musketeers can lay traps to delay and privateers can use their own buffs.
ideally yes, but curse (for swashes) seems to not work. swashes can also get hit by AoEs.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
324
seasnake on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
Also keep in mind that privateers lack their own attacks and rely upon equipment cards quite a lot without having any special attacks such as first strike, reposte, or anything good like that. In other words they are supposed to take an advantage in a team fight or else they would be a useless class as they lack frills and attacks of their own.
that would be true, if their buffs didn't apply to them as well. i spend a good long time getting gear from the bazzar and farming enemies to increase my swashes dodge and attack, and in one 3 moves, a maxed priv can not only double his accuracy, but that of his entire team, and add 75% dodge as well. not to mention, they get a more versatile crew to select from, more "frills" than i can get even though i am a swash, AND heals aplenty. the idea that privateers aren't overpowered is honestly laughable. i am working on one now, am around level 40 in mooshu, and am having a MUCH easier time because of the buffs and heals that gurantee that other classes cannot compare.

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
177
If I was a P101 lead developer, I would either

1. Put a cap on all the stat booster abilities (if there is one) to 100%

or

2. Lower the longevity of to six turns, not ten.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
94
CoolRebon on Mar 4, 2014 wrote:
If I was a P101 lead developer, I would either

1. Put a cap on all the stat booster abilities (if there is one) to 100%

or

2. Lower the longevity of to six turns, not ten.
Those would both work just fine. I don't get why they don't though. I heard that Swashes were nerfed cause people complained about them. Why nerf the Swash and not the Priv? Ether KI is playing favorites with the classes or they just can't make up their minds...
Btw if a max Priv and a max of any other class are doing a 1v1 and both are of equal skill, and none of them have any no auction equipment on, the Priv will win. Their buffs are just too long and too powerful when they're stacked.
Also on a side note: I'd like to suggest that KI either nerf the musketeer companions or make non-ranged companions more resistant, cause there are some people who can't use their favorite companions in PvP because Muskets just knock them out too quickly.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
233
Just remember: If KI nerfed Privateers just to equal the odds in PVP, that wouldn't be very fair to those whom don't choose to PVP at all. It's an unfair downgrade to those who don't PVP, like myself. If anything, KI should make certain rules in PVP to limit some advantages and create an equal challenge. So don't assume because Privateers are strong, they all PVP so therefore they should all be nerfed because not all Privateers PVP.

Captain
Feb 02, 2013
721
there is a reason KI hasn't nerfed privy

Muskets- do you know how annoying it is to get trapped behind a wall of bombs and traps as your zeal goes to waste

Witchdoctor- purge, storm, reaver, all powerful game changing attacks

Swashbuckler- incredible attack damage and using the group hidden and spreading your companions out takes multiple turns to take out by which point your close enough to hit and do double damage
and your curse is really annoying

Buck- lots of accuracy debuffs and tanking

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ShadowStrikerV2 on Mar 7, 2014 wrote:
Those would both work just fine. I don't get why they don't though. I heard that Swashes were nerfed cause people complained about them. Why nerf the Swash and not the Priv? Ether KI is playing favorites with the classes or they just can't make up their minds...
Btw if a max Priv and a max of any other class are doing a 1v1 and both are of equal skill, and none of them have any no auction equipment on, the Priv will win. Their buffs are just too long and too powerful when they're stacked.
Also on a side note: I'd like to suggest that KI either nerf the musketeer companions or make non-ranged companions more resistant, cause there are some people who can't use their favorite companions in PvP because Muskets just knock them out too quickly.
I think that a lot of this nerfing stuff is just urban legends. I don't recall anyone getting nerfed. Some skills were temporally pulled to work out bugs that were causing more problems and unfairness with the bugged part only. They were not pulled to nerf as the main skill is going to be returned once the problems are solved. A lot of time had been put into the planning and balancing of the classes and a few player complaints are not going to change that.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
94
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 8, 2014 wrote:
I think that a lot of this nerfing stuff is just urban legends. I don't recall anyone getting nerfed. Some skills were temporally pulled to work out bugs that were causing more problems and unfairness with the bugged part only. They were not pulled to nerf as the main skill is going to be returned once the problems are solved. A lot of time had been put into the planning and balancing of the classes and a few player complaints are not going to change that.
I know for a fact they have made it harder for Swash to get the damage we used to be able to get. Then hidden powers used to stack with each other before the Aquila/Marleybone update. I'd be able to use both of my hiding powers at the same time. Now it just wastes a turn when you try to stack them. I'm not sure if this is just a glitch but it does indeed depower us. I'm not sure if this other instance is true because I hadn't started playing till Swashes had been supposedly nerfed, but Assassins Srike (along with the others in it's line of powers) used to stack with hidden. Them both multiplying each other.
And hiding is next to useless in PvP now. Everyone has AoE attacks now. I'm not sure if this is true but I have heard that the opposing team isn't supposed to be able to see you when you're hidden. If that's the case then I want it fixed, but if not then hiding is just a joke in PvP. Useless.
And Zuto, you've admitted to me, in-game, that your class is OP, so stop trying to defend it. I've recently made a Privy class just to see and EVERYTHING is much easier than with any other class (and I do have all other classes at level 30 or higher.)
And don't go crying about Musket's traps. You've gotten past all of mine easily without trouble at all. And Dodge/Accuracy debuffs are nothing to Priv. All Privy's Accuracy/Dodge buffs directly counter them AND up the rest of your team's stats. And Buck tanking isn't that much to you because Privy has two critical buffs for their WHOLE TEAM. Tell me how that's fair. With Witches the only real thing you can complain about them is their Purge. And for it not being fair to Priv in regular gameplay if they were nerfed. That's a lie. They'd do just fine with less time on their Accuracy/Dodge buffs because they can end the fight before those buffs are even close to being used up. And everyone knows that in a "fair" PvP match, the team with the extra Privy wins. It's not that way with any other class. A team with more Swashes is just as likely to win as a team with more Muskets.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
149
ShadowStrikerV2 on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
I know for a fact they have made it harder for Swash to get the damage we used to be able to get. Then hidden powers used to stack with each other before the Aquila/Marleybone update. I'd be able to use both of my hiding powers at the same time. Now it just wastes a turn when you try to stack them. I'm not sure if this is just a glitch but it does indeed depower us. I'm not sure if this other instance is true because I hadn't started playing till Swashes had been supposedly nerfed, but Assassins Srike (along with the others in it's line of powers) used to stack with hidden. Them both multiplying each other.
And hiding is next to useless in PvP now. Everyone has AoE attacks now. I'm not sure if this is true but I have heard that the opposing team isn't supposed to be able to see you when you're hidden. If that's the case then I want it fixed, but if not then hiding is just a joke in PvP. Useless.
And Zuto, you've admitted to me, in-game, that your class is OP, so stop trying to defend it. I've recently made a Privy class just to see and EVERYTHING is much easier than with any other class (and I do have all other classes at level 30 or higher.)
And don't go crying about Musket's traps. You've gotten past all of mine easily without trouble at all. And Dodge/Accuracy debuffs are nothing to Priv. All Privy's Accuracy/Dodge buffs directly counter them AND up the rest of your team's stats. And Buck tanking isn't that much to you because Privy has two critical buffs for their WHOLE TEAM. Tell me how that's fair. With Witches the only real thing you can complain about them is their Purge. And for it not being fair to Priv in regular gameplay if they were nerfed. That's a lie. They'd do just fine with less time on their Accuracy/Dodge buffs because they can end the fight before those buffs are even close to being used up. And everyone knows that in a "fair" PvP match, the team with the extra Privy wins. It's not that way with any other class. A team with more Swashes is just as likely to win as a team with more Muskets.
Stacking hidden is clearly overpowering. How much damage does a level 65 Swashbuckler usually have? Let's just say 300 for an example. 300 x 3(Assassin's Strike)= 900 base damage x 2 = 1,800 base damage x 2= 3,600. You really think that's at all fair?

Don't start with the whole hidden is useless in PvP, because that couldn't be farther from the truth. Try staying out of the opponent's range and going for a hidden attack, it does work. For your whole defense with tanking and critical buffs, Swashbucklers have their own critical buffs as well. At most an Epic critical will do x2 damage, halved to x1 with a -50% fort, -50% again with Levy, and so on. Criticals don't break through defensive buffs.

The Privateer class isn't overpowered. The buff system in the game does need to be looked at, that I will not deny. Stacking is a huge problem and while they tried to solve the problem with Purge Magic, it's definitely not enough.

None of the classes are underpowered, but they are strategies that are definitely unfair to certain classes. Buccaneer tanking is a huge issue for Swashbucklers, Musketeers, and Witchdoctors. True Grit is a problem for Musketeers. The main issue with these things are tanking which prevent the opponent from dealing much damage at all, while the tanked unit wrecks the opposing team. It definitely needs to be addressed and hopefully it will be.

Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
Lucas Walker on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
Stacking hidden is clearly overpowering. How much damage does a level 65 Swashbuckler usually have? Let's just say 300 for an example. 300 x 3(Assassin's Strike)= 900 base damage x 2 = 1,800 base damage x 2= 3,600. You really think that's at all fair?

Don't start with the whole hidden is useless in PvP, because that couldn't be farther from the truth. Try staying out of the opponent's range and going for a hidden attack, it does work. For your whole defense with tanking and critical buffs, Swashbucklers have their own critical buffs as well. At most an Epic critical will do x2 damage, halved to x1 with a -50% fort, -50% again with Levy, and so on. Criticals don't break through defensive buffs.

The Privateer class isn't overpowered. The buff system in the game does need to be looked at, that I will not deny. Stacking is a huge problem and while they tried to solve the problem with Purge Magic, it's definitely not enough.

None of the classes are underpowered, but they are strategies that are definitely unfair to certain classes. Buccaneer tanking is a huge issue for Swashbucklers, Musketeers, and Witchdoctors. True Grit is a problem for Musketeers. The main issue with these things are tanking which prevent the opponent from dealing much damage at all, while the tanked unit wrecks the opposing team. It definitely needs to be addressed and hopefully it will be.
They should just stop stacking of all similar spells together. A privateer should definitely not stack accuracy and dodge buffs. And it won't even bother those who don't PvP. The truth is you can easily survive with just a battle zeal. Stacking 100% acc and dodge makes the game way too easy and unchallenging, and yeah the rest of just survive with a meek El toro buff, and we still find it normal and not too hard.

The next issue is defence buffs. I say Levi's should stack so buccaneers have a chance, but not valors armour or fortresses.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
846
Quick Mycin Ashbur... on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
Ok, so me and friend organized a 4v4 last night choosing our own friends. I rounded up a all privateer team, while he brought a wd,( witch doctor ) swashbuckler, himself a musketeer, and a privateer. ( were all lvl 50 ) We dominated the match. It was no challenge, we buffed our companions to the sky. The one privateer on there team just could not compete with us.

Thats when the arguing started. My friend dared to say "privateers need to be extremley nerfed". He even went so far preach his opinion on why KI should change something about privateers buffs in 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 combat specificly.We argued the entire match, of course we won, but he made excused about how "your barrage spells are overpowered, its infinite range can hit us at the beggining of the match"! I responded saying "with there weak damage, its completely fair". He complained about our critical buff as well, and our absorb spell. He did have some good points though. An all privateer team is fierce.

The only drawback to an all privateer team is its damage. Although we have buffs, we sadly have no direct damage buffs. ( critical buff doesnt count cause its not a direct damage buff, and i'm not gonna count the will buff ) It would be nice to have a, say, plus 25% glove fist damage for 5 turns to all companions close to you. That would be a great series.

Anyway, I think a all privateer team is overpowered at all. We are basically short 4 people cause we dont attack. But I know in the future, people are going it complain about us. People complained about life wizards in w101, I'm sure it wont be any different here. I just hope KI doesnt look to close into the nerf button.

On a side note, What class do you think is at the top of the food chain in pvp?

1.Musketeers. There obstacles are annoying, and they can trap you in bombs. And KI said they might make them invisible.....can you imagine? There range poweres are nothing but good, They deserve the nuber 1 spot.

2. Swashbucklers. There damage is just so much. There low health and armor/ resistance makes them very easy to kill though.

3.Privateers. There not the best in a 1v1, so i put them here. Our buffs are nothing but amazing, but have easily exploited weaknesses. Kill, one companion, we just lost 1/3 of our damage dealing.

4.Witchdoctors. Witch doctors are good and all, but i seem to defeat them easily. I usually just go full on attack on there avatar, and thats that. It might be cause i'm privateer, I need to do more research on this school.

5. Buccaneers. You guessed it, buccaneers. I could right an entire post about why there at the bottom of the food chain. They have VERY exploit-able weaknesses make them easily defeated. It would help if that had an aoe, I have some good ideas for them that I might post in A later topic.

My $800,000,000, Quick mycin ashburn.
I think buccaneers are pretty good. Although we may have a few weaknesses at least we can take a hit (unlike swashbucklers). We can have heavy armor (unlike most classes except privateers) that means we can take off most damage. We have high health to so it's going to take some time to take us down and we can just give the damage back to you and maybe stun you leavening all your repo and whatever useless. And I could also right a entire post why we don't deserve to be at the bottom but I think that would just be to rude. And I am just truly offended that you just make it seem obvious we should be at the bottom and telling everyone that it's just perfect. I have a buccaneer and most of you know his name, and for me he is beast. I have had swashbucklers telling me I am boss ( I guarantee you no lie) also Have damage reduce spells that take off allot of damage. We can also get pretty good gear to, get the right gear and boom we are better then ever. We also can give pretty good damage. Again right gear and weapon and we be like a combo of And .i personally don't to pvp because I like to focus on questing, farming and helping friends through battles and dungeons.its just what I do. To make a long post short, don't underestimate us. We can turn the tide of the battle if we know how to use our PC.

- Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
94
Lucas Walker on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
Stacking hidden is clearly overpowering. How much damage does a level 65 Swashbuckler usually have? Let's just say 300 for an example. 300 x 3(Assassin's Strike)= 900 base damage x 2 = 1,800 base damage x 2= 3,600. You really think that's at all fair?

Don't start with the whole hidden is useless in PvP, because that couldn't be farther from the truth. Try staying out of the opponent's range and going for a hidden attack, it does work. For your whole defense with tanking and critical buffs, Swashbucklers have their own critical buffs as well. At most an Epic critical will do x2 damage, halved to x1 with a -50% fort, -50% again with Levy, and so on. Criticals don't break through defensive buffs.

The Privateer class isn't overpowered. The buff system in the game does need to be looked at, that I will not deny. Stacking is a huge problem and while they tried to solve the problem with Purge Magic, it's definitely not enough.

None of the classes are underpowered, but they are strategies that are definitely unfair to certain classes. Buccaneer tanking is a huge issue for Swashbucklers, Musketeers, and Witchdoctors. True Grit is a problem for Musketeers. The main issue with these things are tanking which prevent the opponent from dealing much damage at all, while the tanked unit wrecks the opposing team. It definitely needs to be addressed and hopefully it will be.
Correction: hidden does not fully stack with Assassin's Strike. It goes from 300 to 900 with Assassin's, then hidden only multiplies the base attack power (300) so that's 600. 600+900=1,500. If we could stack hidden we'd get another 600, not 3,000. (or your 3,600) You evidently don't get how the Swash class works.
And as for hidden being useless in PvP, that's true. Privy bombs have unlimited range, Musket bombs traps have incredible range and so do Witches mojo blast. Not to mention almost everyone uses Zeena and her Rain of Fire trap ability. which takes unhides anyone who's even text to it. Hidden is completely useless now in PvP. There are almost no end to the ways you can take a Swash's hidden from them. Hiding is completely and totally useless.
As to the comparison of a Swash's crit buff and a Privy's, there are 2 major differences that go IN FAVOR of Privy. 1- Privy crits last MUCH longer. 2- Privy crits affect their ENTIRE TEAM. The only other difference and the only difference in favor of Swash (and it's a very small difference) is that both crits go for +2 crit chance.
As for the tanking that I can do, that's almost completely negated by the Privy's crit buff. I know that Levy and Fort reduce attacks to -50% but with the privy crit buff (that makes EVERY companion epic very often when they're both stacked) that's completely negated because an epic doubles damage dealt. Also keep in mind the Swash's extra small serving of health making it still fairly easy to take him out.
Overall, a Privy has NO WEAKNESS. And nobody tell me "Oh but we have such low damage dealing ability" that's bull. With your new adding damage by use of will plus your crits PLUS your dodge/accuracy buff. With all those you deal MORE than enough damage. (Caps are not meant to be yelling just emphasizing my point. I do not wish to offend anyone.)

Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
ShadowStrikerV2 on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
Correction: hidden does not fully stack with Assassin's Strike. It goes from 300 to 900 with Assassin's, then hidden only multiplies the base attack power (300) so that's 600. 600+900=1,500. If we could stack hidden we'd get another 600, not 3,000. (or your 3,600) You evidently don't get how the Swash class works.
And as for hidden being useless in PvP, that's true. Privy bombs have unlimited range, Musket bombs traps have incredible range and so do Witches mojo blast. Not to mention almost everyone uses Zeena and her Rain of Fire trap ability. which takes unhides anyone who's even text to it. Hidden is completely useless now in PvP. There are almost no end to the ways you can take a Swash's hidden from them. Hiding is completely and totally useless.
As to the comparison of a Swash's crit buff and a Privy's, there are 2 major differences that go IN FAVOR of Privy. 1- Privy crits last MUCH longer. 2- Privy crits affect their ENTIRE TEAM. The only other difference and the only difference in favor of Swash (and it's a very small difference) is that both crits go for +2 crit chance.
As for the tanking that I can do, that's almost completely negated by the Privy's crit buff. I know that Levy and Fort reduce attacks to -50% but with the privy crit buff (that makes EVERY companion epic very often when they're both stacked) that's completely negated because an epic doubles damage dealt. Also keep in mind the Swash's extra small serving of health making it still fairly easy to take him out.
Overall, a Privy has NO WEAKNESS. And nobody tell me "Oh but we have such low damage dealing ability" that's bull. With your new adding damage by use of will plus your crits PLUS your dodge/accuracy buff. With all those you deal MORE than enough damage. (Caps are not meant to be yelling just emphasizing my point. I do not wish to offend anyone.)
You forgot to add the 5 assassins strikes on top of the death dealing damage they already have. A normal privy can be beaten, however those that farm are a nightmare. Once a privy uses his complete and LONG-LASTING (i am tempted to stay eternal, but that's too far) buffs and weapons, they can:

1.) Have more DAMAGE (2 long lasting crit buffs, even more than a swash's crit buff, and 1-5 assassin strikes and the most damage dealing weapons) AND DODGE (due to acc/dodge stacking buffs) than a swashbuckler.
2.) Have more ACCURACY than a musketeer (due to stacking acc/dodge buffs)
3.) Have more DEFENSE and ARMOR than a buccaneer, due to valor's fortress stacking with a spirit shield
4.) Have more WILL than a witchdoctor, thus giving them the chance to specialize in melee, staffy and buffy play style.
5.) Have dangerous group heals.
6.) Tend to make any companion deadlier. Let me use Nausica as an example. Firstly the privateer will give her the usual dose of 2 valor's fortress and one spirit shield, making her virtually immune to damage. They can do this to any companion, however as I stated before I am using Nausica. Then after that they will add the accuracy and dodge buffs, to ensure Nausica wont be hit by anything (save powers) and that Nausica will always hit. Then they add their +2 critical buff. This gives a super critical card the same power as an epic critical card, thus for a privy Nausica will have 3 epic hits (and 2 extra charges, also at epic hit). And wait, it does not end there! Nausica is not the only one buffed... toro and bonnie are as well. OK then the next thing that happens is that I hopelessly die after a 2000 damage dealing assassin strike, but right before that I almost made Nausica fall (however an epic heal changed that).

I really dont want to see a privy nerfed but I want the rest of us to be equally feared and respected in the spar chamber. Long story short... we are the occasional 2 inch garden lizard, whilst a privateer is Smaug the magnificent. The problem in an all privateer team is that this privateer decided to bring his privy friends along to fight, so Godzilla, King Kong and the Hulk turned up.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
149
ShadowStrikerV2 on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
Correction: hidden does not fully stack with Assassin's Strike. It goes from 300 to 900 with Assassin's, then hidden only multiplies the base attack power (300) so that's 600. 600+900=1,500. If we could stack hidden we'd get another 600, not 3,000. (or your 3,600) You evidently don't get how the Swash class works.
And as for hidden being useless in PvP, that's true. Privy bombs have unlimited range, Musket bombs traps have incredible range and so do Witches mojo blast. Not to mention almost everyone uses Zeena and her Rain of Fire trap ability. which takes unhides anyone who's even text to it. Hidden is completely useless now in PvP. There are almost no end to the ways you can take a Swash's hidden from them. Hiding is completely and totally useless.
As to the comparison of a Swash's crit buff and a Privy's, there are 2 major differences that go IN FAVOR of Privy. 1- Privy crits last MUCH longer. 2- Privy crits affect their ENTIRE TEAM. The only other difference and the only difference in favor of Swash (and it's a very small difference) is that both crits go for +2 crit chance.
As for the tanking that I can do, that's almost completely negated by the Privy's crit buff. I know that Levy and Fort reduce attacks to -50% but with the privy crit buff (that makes EVERY companion epic very often when they're both stacked) that's completely negated because an epic doubles damage dealt. Also keep in mind the Swash's extra small serving of health making it still fairly easy to take him out.
Overall, a Privy has NO WEAKNESS. And nobody tell me "Oh but we have such low damage dealing ability" that's bull. With your new adding damage by use of will plus your crits PLUS your dodge/accuracy buff. With all those you deal MORE than enough damage. (Caps are not meant to be yelling just emphasizing my point. I do not wish to offend anyone.)
I know how the Swashbuckler class works, but excuse me for making a mistake on a class that I don't use often.

Like I said before, Hidden does work in PvP, you just don't know how to use it. Black Fog takes one round to execute, you use it when the effected allies can attack that same round. LEARN HOW TO STAY OUT OF RANGE, AND YOU WON'T LOSE YOUR HIDDEN. Yeah, Privateers have an infinite range artillery series, but more often than not they only use the first two and that's early on in the match. The weakest one is usually near the end of their Power line-up. Zeena's flames aren't hard to counter either, if your opponent is hiding behind flames or other floor hazards, that's a signal that they can't play offensively at that moment. Use that to your advantage and dish out damage, with or without hidden. Critical buffs are still very useful.

A friend of mine has this amazing hidden hit-and-run tactic he uses against Witchdoctors and Privateers. Works like magic.

I never compared Swashbuckler Critical buffs to Privateer ones, you're doing that now.

Again with criticals going through defensive buffs, that's not true. If you're going into PvP matches without things like Leviathan's Call or Valor's Fortress, then you deserve to get pummeled. Criticals will not break through a protection, they'll deal a bit more damage, but not break through the protection. Learn how criticals works before spewing nonsense.

Swashbucklers can get 3 more Assassin's Strike outside of the trained one, each of which are obviously very useful. Privateers have no weakness you say? Low base Agility Vs. a high-damaging High base Agility Swashbuckler. Companions with Burst Fire. But wait, "there's Battle Zeal and Espirit De Corps," there's also Bonnie Anne's Scatterblast, Subodai's debuff, Goronado's Debuff, if you really wanna lower their dodge, Musketeer strafes are available to Swashbucklers so use a Shooty/Stabby weapon.

I'm sure a lot of you guys complaining about how Privateers are overpowered are the ones running around with lousy Epics and talents on their companions, and likely aren't running the necessary gear to survive in PvP. Everyone wants to be a Swashbuckler, but very few of you actually know how to use the class effectively.

Privateers can be overpowering, very true. If you're prepared, you keep calm, and take advantage of clear weak points then you'll be fine.