Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateers overpowered in a team fight?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Okay, so I see 2 sides to this argument. One being Privateers have too many good powers. Another being Privateers being weak. So for the first side. As someone mentioned although I cannot recall the name, someone was talking about your "average Privateer". It depends what you mean by that. Average as in just cruising along the game? Or average as in one who puts effort into their Privateer? It's all on how you look at it.

Privateers not being very strong? You seem to forget every class is equal. What hurt me the most was seeing your list on the order of strength per class. Perhaps you put some classes over others because you don't see their full potential? Buccaneers are certainly not the weakest of the classes, nor are they the strongest. I guess it's all based on opinion, but since we're all posting our opinions, I'd have to say all the classes tie together. Pvp does not entirely determine the strength of each class. That is like having a level 1 Musket fight a level 40 swashbuckler and determining that Swashbucklers are the better class. Like someone else mentioned, it is all based on strategy. I'll give a little insight into the secret performance of the core stats (Will, Strength, Agility). In case some of you did not know, these stats not only help with your damage (Believe it or not!) they also help with relentless, mojo echo, and burst fire, as well as the activation of criticals. There's a little tip for ya. Anyways, saying Privateers are not strong damage wise is very foolish to say as with saying they are overpowered. If there is anything else you guys have to argue back, don't hesitate to state it :)

Petty Officer
Jun 10, 2013
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jul 16, 2013 wrote:
I honestly don't care about privateers healing, its all good, i just think their accuracy and dodge buffs are a little too much. I mean, seriously, you don't need attack powers when when all your companions are hitting everything and dodging everything. and in 1v1 privateers are just a bit annoyingly hard to kill, but in a multi fight, like 4v4 or even just a 2v2 the team with the privateer is gonna win, no contest, someone please tell me if they've seen a 3v3 or 2v2 where the team with the privateer lost?
I am a privateer who lost 3v3. Course, the opposing team had a privateer. And there levels were 13, 59, and 64 against our 5, 39(me), and 32.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
here's my two cents got a problem with privateers, just become one

Petty Officer
Feb 29, 2012
Quick Mycin Ashbur... on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
Ok, so me and friend organized a 4v4 last night choosing our own friends. I rounded up a all privateer team, while he brought a wd,( witch doctor ) swashbuckler, himself a musketeer, and a privateer. ( were all lvl 50 ) We dominated the match. It was no challenge, we buffed our companions to the sky. The one privateer on there team just could not compete with us.

Thats when the arguing started. My friend dared to say "privateers need to be extremley nerfed". He even went so far preach his opinion on why KI should change something about privateers buffs in 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 combat specificly.We argued the entire match, of course we won, but he made excused about how "your barrage spells are overpowered, its infinite range can hit us at the beggining of the match"! I responded saying "with there weak damage, its completely fair". He complained about our critical buff as well, and our absorb spell. He did have some good points though. An all privateer team is fierce.

The only drawback to an all privateer team is its damage. Although we have buffs, we sadly have no direct damage buffs. ( critical buff doesnt count cause its not a direct damage buff, and i'm not gonna count the will buff ) It would be nice to have a, say, plus 25% glove fist damage for 5 turns to all companions close to you. That would be a great series.

Anyway, I think a all privateer team is overpowered at all. We are basically short 4 people cause we dont attack. But I know in the future, people are going it complain about us. People complained about life wizards in w101, I'm sure it wont be any different here. I just hope KI doesnt look to close into the nerf button.

On a side note, What class do you think is at the top of the food chain in pvp?

1.Musketeers. There obstacles are annoying, and they can trap you in bombs. And KI said they might make them invisible.....can you imagine? There range poweres are nothing but good, They deserve the nuber 1 spot.

2. Swashbucklers. There damage is just so much. There low health and armor/ resistance makes them very easy to kill though.

3.Privateers. There not the best in a 1v1, so i put them here. Our buffs are nothing but amazing, but have easily exploited weaknesses. Kill, one companion, we just lost 1/3 of our damage dealing.

4.Witchdoctors. Witch doctors are good and all, but i seem to defeat them easily. I usually just go full on attack on there avatar, and thats that. It might be cause i'm privateer, I need to do more research on this school.

5. Buccaneers. You guessed it, buccaneers. I could right an entire post about why there at the bottom of the food chain. They have VERY exploit-able weaknesses make them easily defeated. It would help if that had an aoe, I have some good ideas for them that I might post in A later topic.

My $800,000,000, Quick mycin ashburn.
Thanks for saying that are at the top of the chain. Anyways, I think that this is the food chain:
1. Well, . The obstacles are annoying. KI's going to make the traps and bombs INVISIBLE?! Then I could kill everybody.
2. : Like you said: they do a lot of damage but they die quickly.
3.: The fizzling weakens their power. I think ghostwail is really good.
4. : The Healing and the Buffs are very good so that's why there not 5th place
5. : I don't have to say anything.
Noble John Parker, Level 23 Musketeer, commonly seen with my Chicken Ranger, my Martin Valvida from the crown shop and my Bison Scout.

Ensign
Jan 08, 2013
Ok, so me and friend organized a 4v4 last night choosing our own friends. I rounded up a all privateer team, while he brought a wd,( witch doctor ) swashbuckler, himself a musketeer, and a privateer. ( were all lvl 50 ) We dominated the match. It was no challenge, we buffed our companions to the sky. The one privateer on there team just could not compete with us.

Thats when the arguing started. My friend dared to say "privateers need to be extremley nerfed". He even went so far preach his opinion on why KI should change something about privateers buffs in 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 combat specificly.We argued the entire match, of course we won, but he made excused about how "your barrage spells are overpowered, its infinite range can hit us at the beggining of the match"! I responded saying "with there weak damage, its completely fair". He complained about our critical buff as well, and our absorb spell. He did have some good points though. An all privateer team is fierce.

The only drawback to an all privateer team is its damage. Although we have buffs, we sadly have no direct damage buffs. ( critical buff doesnt count cause its not a direct damage buff, and i'm not gonna count the will buff ) It would be nice to have a, say, plus 25% glove fist damage for 5 turns to all companions close to you. That would be a great series.

Anyway, I think a all privateer team is overpowered at all. We are basically short 4 people cause we dont attack. But I know in the future, people are going it complain about us. People complained about life wizards in w101, I'm sure it wont be any different here. I just hope KI doesnt look to close into the nerf button.

1.Musketeers. There obstacles are annoying, and they can trap you in bombs. And KI said they might make them invisible.....can you imagine? There range poweres are nothing but good, They deserve the nuber 1 spot.

2. Swashbucklers. There damage is just so much. There low health and armor/ resistance makes them very easy to kill though.

3.Privateers. There not the best in a 1v1, so i put them here. Our buffs are nothing but amazing, but have easily exploited weaknesses. Kill, one companion, we just lost 1/3 of our damage dealing.

4.Witchdoctors. Witch doctors are good and all, but i seem to defeat them easily. I usually just go full on attack on there avatar, and thats that. It might be cause i'm privateer, I need to do more research on this school.

5. Buccaneers. You guessed it, buccaneers. I could right an entire post about why there at the bottom of the food chain. They have VERY exploit-able weaknesses make them easily defeated. It would help if that had an aoe, I have some good ideas for them that I might post in A later topic.

woah woah woah, you say bucks are the worst? haha yeah right, we are amazing. yes I think musketeers are awesome I used to have a max one but bucks the worst? no no no! if you have the right gear and weapon, you don't even need to use buffs (like me). I could 1v1 anyone, anytime and have a great match with them. I would usually barely pull it off, or lose by a hair.

quick mycin ashburn, I totally don't agree. and I also don't see any invisible musketeers.

Dark Tristan Noble lvl 65

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
enemy of the state on Sep 5, 2013 wrote:
woah woah woah, you say bucks are the worst? haha yeah right, we are amazing. yes I think musketeers are awesome I used to have a max one but bucks the worst? no no no! if you have the right gear and weapon, you don't even need to use buffs (like me). I could 1v1 anyone, anytime and have a great match with them. I would usually barely pull it off, or lose by a hair.

quick mycin ashburn, I totally don't agree. and I also don't see any invisible musketeers.

Dark Tristan Noble lvl 65
Look at the date he posted that. Buccaneers were at the bottom at that time.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Lucas Walker on Sep 6, 2013 wrote:
Look at the date he posted that. Buccaneers were at the bottom at that time.
No class was really "bottom" at any time. Every class is balanced. The results of PVP do not determine which class is stronger, nor do they determine which one is weaker. How effective a class is is determined by how well of a strategic person you truly are at mind.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Gruesome Richard on Sep 8, 2013 wrote:
No class was really "bottom" at any time. Every class is balanced. The results of PVP do not determine which class is stronger, nor do they determine which one is weaker. How effective a class is is determined by how well of a strategic person you truly are at mind.
I wasn't referring to PvP don't make assumptions. Before the update that made Frenzy (Turn the Tide) better and upgraded Levithan's Call, the class was lacking a bit. Afterwards they were a lot better in both PvP and PvE. Anyways, the topic is about Privateers, not Buccaneers, so I'd like to show the OP some respect and stay on topic.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Lucas Walker on Sep 8, 2013 wrote:
I wasn't referring to PvP don't make assumptions. Before the update that made Frenzy (Turn the Tide) better and upgraded Levithan's Call, the class was lacking a bit. Afterwards they were a lot better in both PvP and PvE. Anyways, the topic is about Privateers, not Buccaneers, so I'd like to show the OP some respect and stay on topic.
Well, ya didnt refer to privateers either in your previous comment, so that was kinda a hypocritical statement from ya. Usually people label strengths of classes due to PVP, so by the majority of arguments I've seen on these boards, it was just a habit of assuming another one of those people, so my condolences for misinterpreting what you said . Either way, I cant say bucks were lacking. Privateers, on the other hand, have gotten a ton new useful powers that have some hidden mechanics to them. Keep it up KI!

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Gruesome Richard on Sep 9, 2013 wrote:
Well, ya didnt refer to privateers either in your previous comment, so that was kinda a hypocritical statement from ya. Usually people label strengths of classes due to PVP, so by the majority of arguments I've seen on these boards, it was just a habit of assuming another one of those people, so my condolences for misinterpreting what you said . Either way, I cant say bucks were lacking. Privateers, on the other hand, have gotten a ton new useful powers that have some hidden mechanics to them. Keep it up KI!
Not really hypocritical, seeing that I had asked to return to the actual discussion after getting off-topic.

Anyways, I don't think Privateers are necessarily balanced PvP wise. Along with Musketeers, they're a lot more balanced than the other three classes. One big problem I'm seeing now is that people aren't willing to have anything nerfed. The term "OP" is thrown around so much that when something actually is "OP," the community won't be willing to get it in line. Buffing IMO, is a lot worse than nerfing, but it seems they're rarely going to nerf when an issue does occur and will wait till the next major update to buff whatever has fallen "UP."

The feedback and thoughts on the whole "Buffing, rather than nerfing" strategy is something they really need to look at. That's what will definitely prevent threads like these in the future.

Developer
Lucas Walker on Sep 10, 2013 wrote:
Not really hypocritical, seeing that I had asked to return to the actual discussion after getting off-topic.

Anyways, I don't think Privateers are necessarily balanced PvP wise. Along with Musketeers, they're a lot more balanced than the other three classes. One big problem I'm seeing now is that people aren't willing to have anything nerfed. The term "OP" is thrown around so much that when something actually is "OP," the community won't be willing to get it in line. Buffing IMO, is a lot worse than nerfing, but it seems they're rarely going to nerf when an issue does occur and will wait till the next major update to buff whatever has fallen "UP."

The feedback and thoughts on the whole "Buffing, rather than nerfing" strategy is something they really need to look at. That's what will definitely prevent threads like these in the future.
We will nerf when it's warranted.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009

I just quit playing a game with extreme prejudice cause all the game did was nerf one class after another and if you were foolish enough to play the weakest class the game continued to nerf that class the hardest to make it completely unplayable in either PvE or PvP. I'm against nerfing just about anything as long as it isn't insanely overpowered and I think KingsIsle is wise in buffing classes to make things more fair rather than nerfing them (players like being added to and hate being taken away from). I'm still upset over the nerfs KingsIsle did to the pet armadillo, needed or not it has left a permanent stain upon my game happiness and I still want the armadillo restored back to its former strength.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

"The feedback and thoughts on the whole 'Buffing rather than nerfing' strategy is something they really need to look at. That's what will definitely prevent threads like this in the future."

That is a nice sentiment but I don't think that will work either. There are whiners that will complain unfairness when ever they are beaten not matter what. Not that I am saying the posters here are doing by any means. I just mean that no matter what KingsIsle does, people are gonna complain.
They nerf when it's needed, as is their right. After all they Are the game designers and it is what they do best. Just let them do their job and adjust your play style to match the well thought out challenges that they have presented us. They don't make these nerf or buffing changes lightly. I am sure they have thought it through many deeper levels than we are even aware of. They are the experts, we are the players that they work and sweat over, trying to please us. Let's just give credit where it is due and by all means let them know how we feel and what is bugging us. But let them decide what to do about it. They are the pros.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
"The feedback and thoughts on the whole 'Buffing rather than nerfing' strategy is something they really need to look at. That's what will definitely prevent threads like this in the future."

That is a nice sentiment but I don't think that will work either. There are whiners that will complain unfairness when ever they are beaten not matter what. Not that I am saying the posters here are doing by any means. I just mean that no matter what KingsIsle does, people are gonna complain.
They nerf when it's needed, as is their right. After all they Are the game designers and it is what they do best. Just let them do their job and adjust your play style to match the well thought out challenges that they have presented us. They don't make these nerf or buffing changes lightly. I am sure they have thought it through many deeper levels than we are even aware of. They are the experts, we are the players that they work and sweat over, trying to please us. Let's just give credit where it is due and by all means let them know how we feel and what is bugging us. But let them decide what to do about it. They are the pros.
Wizards101 keeps well balanced PvP wise, the weakest classes often become the strongest and nerfing is kept at a minimum and when players are nerfed they hold grudges for a very long time. Nerfing wild bolt lead to years of severe forum complaints from a bevy of players. Don't nerf what isn't broken, and its usually best to add to and buff as players don't complain as much then unless stupid stuff like making one character class immune or nearly immune to another is allowed to happen.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
seasnake on Sep 14, 2013 wrote:
Wizards101 keeps well balanced PvP wise, the weakest classes often become the strongest and nerfing is kept at a minimum and when players are nerfed they hold grudges for a very long time. Nerfing wild bolt lead to years of severe forum complaints from a bevy of players. Don't nerf what isn't broken, and its usually best to add to and buff as players don't complain as much then unless stupid stuff like making one character class immune or nearly immune to another is allowed to happen.
The only way I can really respond would be to say instead of just clicking on the quote button, please read it again and give it a chance to absorb. I don't think you allowed any of it to germinate. But that is just my humble opinion.

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
Show some love for the Buccaneers! Fearless Nathan Strong

Ensign
Mar 30, 2010
PRIVATEERJACK10 on Aug 7, 2013 wrote:
Thanks for saying that are at the top of the chain. Anyways, I think that this is the food chain:
1. Well, . The obstacles are annoying. KI's going to make the traps and bombs INVISIBLE?! Then I could kill everybody.
2. : Like you said: they do a lot of damage but they die quickly.
3.: The fizzling weakens their power. I think ghostwail is really good.
4. : The Healing and the Buffs are very good so that's why there not 5th place
5. : I don't have to say anything.
Noble John Parker, Level 23 Musketeer, commonly seen with my Chicken Ranger, my Martin Valvida from the crown shop and my Bison Scout.
Ok your completley wrong buccaneers can easily woop musketeers.
i dont know if you have seen the update but Leviathan's Call can block 50% of shooty weopons and reckless frenzy has you beat, musketeers are complete bait for that
My food chain
1.buccaneers we have defenses agiants most classes now and reckless frenzy is over powerd when combined with Leviathan's Call.
2.swashbucklers they do scary damage but have weak health and armor,luck
3.priveteers. have so many buffs which can make them very powerfull
4.musketeers I like threre abilitys but i feel are weak to to many classes like.

5witchdocters. like them think there really strong but id play wizard101 if i wanted to use spells

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
fireblade745 on Sep 18, 2013 wrote:
Ok your completley wrong buccaneers can easily woop musketeers.
i dont know if you have seen the update but Leviathan's Call can block 50% of shooty weopons and reckless frenzy has you beat, musketeers are complete bait for that
My food chain
1.buccaneers we have defenses agiants most classes now and reckless frenzy is over powerd when combined with Leviathan's Call.
2.swashbucklers they do scary damage but have weak health and armor,luck
3.priveteers. have so many buffs which can make them very powerfull
4.musketeers I like threre abilitys but i feel are weak to to many classes like.

5witchdocters. like them think there really strong but id play wizard101 if i wanted to use spells
*******OFF TOPIC WARNING*******

Here comes the ranking again... Some people tend to put their own class above others because they seem to miss the views of others. Now, if you have made a level 65 of each pirate, then I can definitely understand where you're coming from, but if you seem to focus on one class, it is in nature you will be biased on your class, at least, for a good majority of people.

Here's how I see your ranking: Bucks are the best of all the classes, and witchdoctors are the worst. It is opinion on your ranking, but each class has their own benefits. Bucks cannot block witchdoctor damage with their defenses, and witchdoctors do not have a lot of armor. Either way, ranking classes is usually based on how you look at their powers and their usefulness. So there is no real ranking for the classes. Only opinions.

Now back to topic...
@Chrissy, I completely agree with what you said, the Developers can nerf if they need to. It is a way to surprise the so called "weaker" classes with new powers, such as buccaneer's Reckless Frenzy power. Privateers do have a bit of an advantage with PvE, with their buffs, but I'm definitely positive KI has got some wicked new powers and talents for the other classes that Privateers will not be able to get. Just remember, no game is ever perfect. KI will get the classes in their equal states soon, especially with all the feedback they are getting from the players. Hopefully, we'll see some changes in the next update

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
Darth JT on Feb 8, 2013 wrote:
Okay, I have not been posting much lately and I have missed many posts, sorry for that.

Yes, I would say you made a typo, it happens, but to still state that Privateers do the lowest damage? Where is your evidence of that? Because they dont get automatic epic talents?

Do you know, that privateers can get a weapon that does the most damage of any weapon in the game?
Privateers can get the most and best attack cards.
Privateers have the most Accuracy/Dodge boosts to ensure you and your companions hit your targets and dodge attacks.

On top of that, Privateers have the most and best heals in the game, for single heals and group heals.

I am sure you realize this is the spar chamber and if you or anyone is interested in PVP, to be good or excel at something, it takes time, effort, dedication. You can not seriously think you can just go in and simply be the best there is, can you?

As with anything, if you are not prepared, you are already defeated.
So by what you are saying, Privateers have the best of almost everything? By the way witch one do you like more? Pirate101 or Wizard101? I got tried of Wizard101, so here I am!

-65 and 2 weeks into it(4-5 levels a day). It's so fun!

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009

Why does everyone complain about this?
First we should not be nerfed, we are meant for extreme tactical conquest so those who think we are over powered guess again. We are powerful for armies, even more so when all the PC are privateers.

My food chain I see as this:

1. Privateer, not because of class pride but of
our weaponry versatility and bombs and etc. etc. etc.

2. Musketeers, the snipers and quick draws are
commonly powerful and useful for ranged support and trapping prey

3. Swashbucklers/Witchdoctors, both are very powerful and can easily take advantage of weaknesses.

4. Buccaneers/Witchdoctors, both however display weaknesses that can be taken advantage of.

P.S. Au'revoir mon (Ami/amie)

{Ami means male friend and amie means female friend.}

Ensign
Aug 19, 2013
not all swashbucklers have low health and swashbuckler speed is what help us bucklers if you cant hit then you cant touch this dananana bana bana cant touch this

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Bloody Wolf Ashbur... on Oct 12, 2013 wrote:
not all swashbucklers have low health and swashbuckler speed is what help us bucklers if you cant hit then you cant touch this dananana bana bana cant touch this
Well ya won't be saying that once a Privateer uses a Battle Zeal. Hehe

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Darth JT on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
Privateers can get 3, count them, 3 assassins strike cards on their gear, if they so choose. Now, mind you, Assassins strike is 3x damage + bleeding. Does that sound like low damage?

Privateers also have the best Healing in the game, they have an abundance of healing cards for single and group heals, of which no other class can even come close.

However, Privateers do not get any epic talents, such as riposte, blade storm, vengeance, etc. So, they can buff, heal, or just do a 1 hit wonder.

No, Privateers are not overpowered in a team fight, nor are they underpowered. People throw that term Overpowered around way too much without any factual information to prove it.
i hate to perpetuate something that is becoming such a controversial point, but i feel my input may be worthwhile.

im a maxed swashbuckler, so i will use myself as an example, although i'm not the only that faces this problem. so, here goes: privateer is, without a doubt, in the hands of a competent person, overpowered. i'm not saying if you lose as a privateer your incompetent, just that you haven't realized what its all about. privateer can heal (hugely) defend (hugely) boost accuracy and dodge (vastly) and critical rates as well. (i don't know to what extent). plus, they have epic gear, which often makes up for there lacking in regular stats and abilities, not to mention a noticeably wider variety of companions to choose from. this makes a foursome of privateers, with good companions, at a high enough level, almost indomitable. on another note, and i am just speaking for swashbucklers now, not all of our abilities work 100% of the time. heck, the third tier of poison is no different from the second, and gambit of steel is indistinguishable from dance of steel. what im saying is that maybe privateers base stats can be boosted, and their abilities toned down a little, eh?

- Matthew Walker, level 65

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Blixet on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
i hate to perpetuate something that is becoming such a controversial point, but i feel my input may be worthwhile.

im a maxed swashbuckler, so i will use myself as an example, although i'm not the only that faces this problem. so, here goes: privateer is, without a doubt, in the hands of a competent person, overpowered. i'm not saying if you lose as a privateer your incompetent, just that you haven't realized what its all about. privateer can heal (hugely) defend (hugely) boost accuracy and dodge (vastly) and critical rates as well. (i don't know to what extent). plus, they have epic gear, which often makes up for there lacking in regular stats and abilities, not to mention a noticeably wider variety of companions to choose from. this makes a foursome of privateers, with good companions, at a high enough level, almost indomitable. on another note, and i am just speaking for swashbucklers now, not all of our abilities work 100% of the time. heck, the third tier of poison is no different from the second, and gambit of steel is indistinguishable from dance of steel. what im saying is that maybe privateers base stats can be boosted, and their abilities toned down a little, eh?

- Matthew Walker, level 65
I agree with ya, for the powers that Privy have on their choosing. However, having their abilities toned down is also kinda unfair to the Privy. I'm not saying that the grounds are even with other classes in terms of PVP, but perhaps instead of toning down the Privy, they can boost up other classes such as yours. Perhaps they can make it so the later versions of poison do double damage and reduce enemy damage or make another gambit of steel version do double damage and increase your critical? Just suggestions they might be taking to consideration. Of course, this topic mostly lays around Privy in pvp, so I cant use PvE into this topic entirely, but toning Privy down would hurt them with their progress in PvE. Perhaps restrictions in PvP, like what they have been trying on wizard101 test?

Just my own thoughts from a

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Bloody Wolf Ashbur... on Oct 12, 2013 wrote:
May be a little late to reply, but yo're right. It's just a common weakness I've seen amongst many.

Listed it because it is fairly normal.