Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Nefarious Tower - Party anyone?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
hmm . . . i just realized that i never did the moo manchu sidequests when i played on my first three pirates. . .
i will do those soon. but, i have to ask, were there any other sidequests we needed to do? i am kind of a scumbag about quests, i only do the ones that have heavy rewards XD

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 1, 2014 wrote:
1) Gauntlets are optional content, and they are designed for Group play. That means that we designers have free rein to make them quite difficult, indeed.

I have been doing (mostly) solo play during testing, and I've never completed it. You can complete *parts* of it, maybe even *most* of it, and there's good loot to be had along the way, but I think actually beating the entire thing solo is out of the question (at least until the level cap goes up...)

You might be able to beat it solo by throwing around lots of doubloons and maybe hiring some henchmen along the way, but that is not the intent, and I am not encouraging that-- just trying to answer the question honestly.

Maybe I'll try that today and report back.

2) Sure, there's some new and interesting loot on the mobs, and on the sub-bosses, plus lots of multiplayer chests, and there's some custom boss loot that, quite frankly, is absolutely amazing. (Not power-wise, necessarily-- although it is that-- but just in terms of cool factor.)

Now I'll hit SUBMIT and see how much of my spoilers Jack lets through.
"I have been doing (mostly) solo play during testing, and I've never completed it......You might be able to beat it solo by throwing around lots of doubloons....."

So, in your recent testing while solo, were you using a lot of doubloons? Just wondering because that will help gauge, even more so, just how difficult the dungeon is.....not that just the fact that one of the designers just said "I think actually beating the entire thing solo is out of the question", isn't already a testament to the struggle that lies before us.

I have never done or seen the gauntlet style dungeon like the one in W101, so I was curious about something regarding this one. Are there any penalties involved in lost battles in this tower, like there are during normal gameplay. Is it "what happens in Nefawious Towah, stays in Nefawious Towah?". Meaning if we loose some or all of our companions, we surely won't have to pay to get them back, will we? OOOH, this is becoming more exciting for me every minute! I have no ideas how these gauntlets work but I can't wait to give it a hardy try!

I have also always been curious as to if you, being a designer, always have unlimited access to all of the doubloons and best gear at all times, without farming? Or do you sometimes (or most times) acquire your gear and doubloons the "old fashion way" just like us players? In essence do you often "play" the game from our perspective or due to time and work constraints, do you only have time to "play" in the realm of developing and testing?

I am sure for the purposes of testing system dynamics you may want to actually farm to test out the drop rates and loot tables- although I would guess that other KI staff may do this. Or do you also have programs or systems in place that can simulate those sort of things? I could likewise imagine that when it comes to testing new things such as this gauntlet, that you would want everything at your disposal immediately for both the purposes of bug testing and gauging overall playability and difficulty.

Any insight would be appreciated but I understand if you can't answer these or at least all of these. And if we can't get any reveal on your pirate name, can we at least learn your class? Also, to better help gauge the nefawiousness of the Towah!

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on Aug 3, 2014 wrote:
This is just too funny, Ratbeard! I don't think I am going to forget Bacon Ignited Lotion any time soon (hmm, sounds like Inoshishi Bandits with fire!) Well, I must join in the silliness, so rearranging the letters I get a couple instructive messages:
Linni, Good Bet in Coat

Tie Boat, Cloon; Dining

a couple of warnings:

Looting Can Bite Dion

whoever Dion is. And:

Nile Toad in Cot. Boing!

But no, these wouldn't be phrases we are looking for, surely. So how about a name: Good Colin Nabinitet!
Are you sure about that? Those phrases seem to make sense to me.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Blixet on Aug 4, 2014 wrote:
hmm . . . i just realized that i never did the moo manchu sidequests when i played on my first three pirates. . .
i will do those soon. but, i have to ask, were there any other sidequests we needed to do? i am kind of a scumbag about quests, i only do the ones that have heavy rewards XD
Side quests sometimes have a way of giving you an extra 'surprise'. I am a BIG believer in doing all the side quests I can. If you finish the Moo Manchu quest string you get a pet!

Developer
So, in your recent testing while solo, were you using a lot of doubloons?

I don't use doubloons while testing.

Are there any penalties involved in lost battles in this tower, like there are during normal gameplay?

Of course. If you lose companions in here (and you will) they'll be wounded and go on Bed Rest.

Is it "what happens in Nefawious Towah, stays in Nefawious Towah?".

Nice try!

I have also always been curious as to if you, being a designer, always have unlimited access to all of the doubloons and best gear at all times, without farming? Or do you sometimes (or most times) acquire your gear and doubloons the "old fashion way" just like us players? In essence do you often "play" the game from our perspective or due to time and work constraints, do you only have time to "play" in the realm of developing and testing?

When I am testing internally, I have access to all sorts of special commands to grant myself levels, gold, powers, talents, gear, companions, turn off aggro, teleport to anywhere I want to go, spawn mobs anywhere i want-- pretty much anything you can imagine.

My live account does not have access to any special commands like that.

Nevertheless, whether I am playing on the live servers or testing internally, I keep my "main" character as close to "natural" as I can, so that I can experience the game the way most players do.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Ratbeard on Aug 4, 2014 wrote:

Are there any penalties involved in lost battles in this tower, like there are during normal gameplay?

Of course. If you lose companions in here (and you will) they'll be wounded and go on Bed Rest.

Nice try!

When I am testing internally, I have access to all sorts of special commands to grant myself levels, gold, powers, talents, gear, companions, turn off aggro, teleport to anywhere I want to go, spawn mobs anywhere i want-- pretty much anything you can imagine.

Nevertheless, whether I am playing on the live servers or testing internally, I keep my "main" character as close to "natural" as I can, so that I can experience the game the way most players do.
"When I am testing internally, I have access to all sorts of special commands to grant myself levels, gold, powers, talents, gear, companions, turn off aggro, teleport to anywhere I want to go, spawn mobs anywhere i want-- pretty much anything you can imagine."

I want to be able to do all that!! Sounds like you're the Ultimate Pirate Master, Ratbeard!

Ensign
Jun 16, 2014
anecorbie on Jun 24, 2014 wrote:
I know, it's probably too early to talk about a farming party for The Nefarious Tower, but I'm just so eager to see what's inside! So, I'm suggesting that all the Message Board Marauders get together the day it opens.
Date : to be announced in the newsletter
Time: 8 P.M. central time zone
Realm: Vadima
we get together and either stagger our entry or change realms, if you want to take part, you must restrain yourself and NOT go in before anyone else, no peeking in other words.
Is anyone interested?
Dude I'm always up for a party. I have parties in my pirate101 place every weekend. XD

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011

Nice try!

You should totally make a way for us to do that... maybe a special, expensive gift card that lets you unlock a super test realm? Nah, probably not, that would make the source code a bit more open than it needs to be. I read the thing about adding mods to the game, which was a bad idea (sorry person), and then it might make it too easy to hack into the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Nice try!

*Drools* Can I come play at your house someday?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Nice try!

Thank you for all of the answers and insight, Ratbeard. I had a feeling you didn't use doubloons, but I also had a feeling that if I implied you did, then I just might get a definitive response.

Now my "final" question........................................................need an intern or apprentice? {Ratorical question}

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012

Nice try!

and what do you "main" as? many of us marauders know that mew is selectively a musketeer, which class do you like to play as best?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
I know this is kinda random.I know someone alread did ''Friends from the Other Side'',but Omar(the Undead Obeah) and I tweaked it just a little bit.I think you'll like what happened to Bishop and Phule entered my Hoodoo Emporium...

Don't you disrespect me, Metal Man!
Don't you derogate or deride!
You're in my world now
not your world!
And I got friends on the Other Side!

He's got friends on the Other Side...

(that's an echo Phule. Just a little something we have here in Scrimshaw. A little parlor trick. Don't worry!)

Sit down at my table.
Put your primary cog at ease.
If you relax, it will enable me to do
Anything I please.
I can read your Future!
I can change it around some too!
I look deep into your heart and soul

(you do have a soul, don't you Bishop?No?Thought so...)

Make you wildest dreams come true!

I got Voodoo,
I got Hoodoo,
I got things I Haven't even tried!

He's got Friends on the Other Side!

The cards!The cards!The cards are gonna tell.
The past,the present and the future as well...

Now you Bishop are from across the skies,
You come from two long lines of factory ties.
You're lifestyle's high!
But your funds are low.....
You need to capture a certain pirate who's plundered some dough.

Now on you metal man,I don't wanna waste much time,
You've been pushed around all your life...er...existence.
You've been pushed around by your builder,and your designer and your engineer
And if you had gotten that upgrade you'd be pushed around by the mechanic.

But in your future, the Phule I see
Is exactly the Clockwork you always wanted to be!
Shake my hand.
C'mon Boys!
Wont you shake
A poor Witchdoctor's Hand?

Are you ready!Are you ready!

Can you feel it,you're changin',yer chanin'alright!I hope you're satisfied...

But if you ain't,don't blame me,you can blame my friends on the Ooooooother Siiiiiiiiiiiiiideeeeeeeeeee

Turns out I wrote the same verse twice,so I do have enough space.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Now,we haven't really been doing to many songs by the enemies in the Tower.And Doctor noh is kinda monstrously deformed,so...I guess Moo Manchu could sing this song...

Moo Manchu:The world is cruel
The world is wicked
It's I alone whom you can trust in the whole of Mooshu!
I am your only friend
I who keep you, teach you, feed you, dress you
I who look upon you without fear
How can I protect you, goat, unless you
Always stay in here
Away in here,

Moo Manchu:You are deformed.

Doctor Noh: I am deformed

Moo Manchu:And you are ugly

Doctor Noh:And I am ugly

Moo Manchu:And these are crimes
For which the world
Shows little pity
You do not comprehend

Doctor Noh: You are my one defender

Moo Manchu: Out there they'll revile you

As a monster

Dr.Noh: I am a monster

Moo Manchu: Out there they will hate
And scorn and jeer

Moo Manchu: Why invite their calumny

And consternation?
Stay in here
Be faithful to me...

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Ooo,and Avery's Court has a belltower,remember?

Mickey:Morning in Skull Island, the city awakes
To the bells of Avery's Court
The swashbuckler fences,the witchdoctor brew
To the bells of Avery's Court

To the big bells as loud as the thunder
To the little bells soft as a psalm
And some say the soul of the city's
The toll of the bells
The bells of Avery's Court...

Sorry,I can't go very far here,lack of creativity.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012

Nice try!

Ratbeard Almighty!

Anyways,this is all extremely useful and I am immeasurably thankful for your help,and anyone else',because I'm sure I'm gonna have to come back.

Wow,a gauntlet?!?!?!That means that if I enter alone,flee/get defeated,when I enter the sigil again,I'l have to do it all over again.Wow.

Okay,guys,please stick close to me!Please!Please!Please!

Okay,as for you guys at Kingsisle,take your time,I still got 12 levels to go through until I am level 65...and I'm gonna need some time to get there.Oh and som time to farm for useful stuff.

OKay,Moo Manhu,will indeed give me his wand in this tower.

Aynways,I'm sure you certainly enjoyed going through the tower.We're gonna have fun.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You know I think I'll leave Esperanza at home. I'll bring either Marian Kidd or Black Morgan Moon .
You guys decide!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
The Hoodoo Master on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
I know this is kinda random.I know someone alread did ''Friends from the Other Side'',but Omar(the Undead Obeah) and I tweaked it just a little bit.I think you'll like what happened to Bishop and Phule entered my Hoodoo Emporium...

Don't you disrespect me, Metal Man!
Don't you derogate or deride!
You're in my world now
not your world!

He's got friends on the Other Side...

(that's an echo Phule. Just a little something we have here in Scrimshaw. A little parlor trick. Don't worry!)

Sit down at my table.
Put your primary cog at ease.
If you relax, it will enable me to do
Anything I please.
I can read your Future!
I can change it around some too!
I look deep into your heart and soul

(you do have a soul, don't you Bishop?No?Thought so...)

Make you wildest dreams come true!

I got Voodoo,
I got Hoodoo,
I got things I Haven't even tried!

He's got Friends on the Other Side!

The cards!The cards!The cards are gonna tell.
The past,the present and the future as well...

Now you Bishop are from across the skies,
You come from two long lines of factory ties.
You're lifestyle's high!
But your funds are low.....
You need to capture a certain pirate who's plundered some dough.

Now on you metal man,I don't wanna waste much time,
You've been pushed around all your life...er...existence.
You've been pushed around by your builder,and your designer and your engineer
And if you had gotten that upgrade you'd be pushed around by the mechanic.

But in your future, the Phule I see
Is exactly the Clockwork you always wanted to be!
Shake my hand.
C'mon Boys!
Wont you shake
A poor Witchdoctor's Hand?

Can you feel it,you're changin',yer chanin'alright!I hope you're satisfied...

But if you ain't,don't blame me,you can blame my friends on the Ooooooother Siiiiiiiiiiiiiideeeeeeeeeee

Turns out I wrote the same verse twice,so I do have enough space.
That was fantastic!!! *Thwump* and I'm on the ground again, laughing my head off. jhnok (My cat stepped on my keyboard LOL!) Anyways, that's one Disney song I've always liked for some weird reason, and now it's even better.

It's the next chapter
the ultimate goal
Ready for battle
brave and bold
I know we're gonna make it
We will find a way

Oh, oh
we've come so far
we've fought so hard
to get where we are
Oh, oh
we belong together
it's always you and me
Pokémon!

Ugh, sorry. That's been stuck in my head for a week. At least it isn't the original Pokémon theme song. That one is a lot more annoying.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Old Scratch:
Dere you see him, standing dere across the way,
He don't got a lot to say...

Moo Manchu
( Don't bet on that, Skeletor! )

Old Scratch
But dere's someting about him.
And you don't know why but you're willin' to try,
You gotta Beat de Boss!

Crew Chorus:
Sha la la la, don't look now,
Here comes that Mad Cow,
Better beat that boss,
Sha la la la,
My oh my we're gonna die,
She's gonna miss that boss!

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
OKay,can you guys repeat the party details?

Did we find a better time?

Anyways,Ratbeard,don't release this tower in the next three weeks,need to level up,after I get back from vacation.

Developer
Blixet on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
and what do you "main" as? many of us marauders know that mew is selectively a musketeer, which class do you like to play as best?
I don't really have a favorite, since I spend my time trying to make sure the play experience is Wahoo! for everybody-- and yet balanced.

I try to keep current on whichever class seems to be the most favorite and least favorite among players at any given time...

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Ratbeard on Aug 6, 2014 wrote:
I don't really have a favorite, since I spend my time trying to make sure the play experience is Wahoo! for everybody-- and yet balanced.

I try to keep current on whichever class seems to be the most favorite and least favorite among players at any given time...
I just like being a Swashbuckler. We get poison and invisibility. So much fun! I always like to imagine the look on an enemy's face when I come out of nowhere...

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Ratbeard on Aug 6, 2014 wrote:

So Privateer, you mean?Just kidding... sort of. Wait, no, I meant Privateer for most favorite, not least favorite- ugh, now I've confused myself.

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
Can't wait to play in this tower! I think we are gonna have some fun..

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Woah, Anecorbie, you understand how many comments this post has?

Anyways, who says we should have a test realm party first?

Petty Officer
Jun 17, 2013