Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Speculations on the Armada

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Daring Destiny Dov... on Aug 4, 2014 wrote:
Dame would be the privateer. She is wearing a dress! A dress!! Do you expect her to be bouncing around all light on her feet with that huge metal dress? And we have never seen her yet, and she sits on a throne. This shows the fact that she is important, i believe she is a privateer, a commander of the armadas operation, kanes second in command. I think phule is the swashbuckler. He would be able to move around lightly, and he looked as if he was about to do a triple black flip when we saw him in the tomb of marco pollo. He seems more like swashbuckler material. And i believe kane is a combo of all the classes. He was called: "stronger faster and smarter than any living being, so i think we are dealing with a full on master of everything! Or perhaps dame is the real threat, and she is just using kane as a cover....
The dress is not metal, it is probably velvet, oh or silk! It is entirely possible to fight in a dress, I've done this, plus dancing vigorous dances in full Elizabethan rig! You can check out such dances on You-tube.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
winter goddess on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Hate to bust your bubble, but I'm positive your wrong on who's 'G'. We are talking about someone referred as the Toymaker. I was thinking that 'G' is really that guy that made Pinocchio seeing Valencia does portray the Renaissance age of Italy. What was that name? ......... Geppetto?
Do you really think that Galileo would use the term 'Toymaker" when signing the coded messages? Or wouldn't he use his REAL name to such an important message? Come on, Geppetto? Forget the Disney movie, have you read Pinnochio? Geppetto wasn't even a toymaker, he was a carpenter who happened to have a spare piece of wood laying about.
A GENIUS created Kane, and that's not Geppetto. ( Plus, you can't say 'Geppetto' in game; but you can say Galileo! And this name is not available for players, pets or ships ).
Gallileo fits Italian Renaissance Valencia much better than Pinnochio since the book was based in 1800s Italy.
Take also into consideration that the KI developers enjoy 70s rock and then you have that interesting line from Bohemian Rhapsody
Galileo,
Galileo,
Galileo, piccolo!

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
darkdoombro345 on Jul 25, 2014 wrote:
Well, yeah, he doesn't need a wife, but come on. She's a powerful woman-like figure within the elite court who has a throne to the right of Kane's own. While not necessarily his wife, she's most certainly the second in command, perhaps, even, behind the inner workings of the mysterious elite court, the top. Titles mean nothing.
Perhaps 'G' is Galileo, but that might just mean the armada has put his work to use (battle Angel's wings). But I don't think he's the toymaker... no, no, I feel like the toymaker is somebody very different... not that I have any ideas or theories who *hides papers behind back*.
I have seen a lot of people putting emphasis on the fact that the female elite is seated on a throne next to Kane. Many people are assuming that this means that Dame must be either Kane's wife, or his second command.
But simply having her seated does not indicate her position in the court.

Kane's court, from their clothing is clearly modeled after a 17th to 18th century court. In family and court portraites made during the 17th and 18th century, it is simply a custom of have the women in the portrait seated. Usually the seated women are surrounded by the men who may be seated or standing, and possibly any children who are also usually standing. I'd say, that in the portrait we are shown of Kane's court, Dame is sitting next to Kane, not because she is his wife or second in command, but because she is female.

I hope that this link is approved, (if it doesn't, my name on Pirate101Central is also CdeWinter)

I have even made an album on my page on Pirate101Central that illustrates a few 17th century and 18th century family and group portraits that support this idea.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Daring Destiny Dov... on Aug 4, 2014 wrote:
Dame would be the privateer. She is wearing a dress! A dress!! Do you expect her to be bouncing around all light on her feet with that huge metal dress? And we have never seen her yet, and she sits on a throne. This shows the fact that she is important, i believe she is a privateer, a commander of the armadas operation, kanes second in command. I think phule is the swashbuckler. He would be able to move around lightly, and he looked as if he was about to do a triple black flip when we saw him in the tomb of marco pollo. He seems more like swashbuckler material. And i believe kane is a combo of all the classes. He was called: "stronger faster and smarter than any living being, so i think we are dealing with a full on master of everything! Or perhaps dame is the real threat, and she is just using kane as a cover....
Well, that is an interesting idea, Daring Destiny, that her dress would be made of metal. Certainly a possibility, and I never thought of it. Though I am guessing that like the other Armada, she is clothed in fine materials. Deacon's gentleman's suit puts me in mind of fine broadcloth (in 18th C. terms a fine wool material, strong and light, of exceptional quality) with lace at his neck-stock and shirt cuffs (and this being the Age of Pirates, all handmade lace, of course, very valuable and costly). The artistic texture of Rooke's gentleman's suit (under his armor) made me think it was made of velvet, with gold cord trim. And I notice that certain of the rank & file Armada, like snipers, have some pretty neat fabric adornments, like fringe.

So what of the Lady Elite? Just seeing her picture briefly in the Armada puppet show makes it difficult to make a firm assessment, but I think she is wearing an 18th C. lady's riding outfit (or possibly a related garment which I just can't think of the name of right now, sorry). Such a garment would be really the 18th C. elite idea of "active wear". So while she may indeed be a privateer instead of a swashbuckler, her clothing would not discount the latter. I'm sure she would be very dangerous in a ball gown, but a riding outfit would give her the equivalent of Age of Pirates' sportswear for women... even better equipped fashion-wise than Mustang Sally, and Mustang Sally is not impeded at all by her gown.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2011
anecorbie on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Do you really think that Galileo would use the term 'Toymaker" when signing the coded messages? Or wouldn't he use his REAL name to such an important message? Come on, Geppetto? Forget the Disney movie, have you read Pinnochio? Geppetto wasn't even a toymaker, he was a carpenter who happened to have a spare piece of wood laying about.
A GENIUS created Kane, and that's not Geppetto. ( Plus, you can't say 'Geppetto' in game; but you can say Galileo! And this name is not available for players, pets or ships ).
Gallileo fits Italian Renaissance Valencia much better than Pinnochio since the book was based in 1800s Italy.
Take also into consideration that the KI developers enjoy 70s rock and then you have that interesting line from Bohemian Rhapsody
Galileo,
Galileo,
Galileo, piccolo!
Have you forget that KI don't always uses the original names of anyone no matter how historical they are and such? chances are KI have a different name to call Galileo for copyrights purposes (i.e. Long ranger=Lone ranger, Bonnie Anne= Anne Bonnie?). Plus I got the toymaker idea because that's what the Armada called him. Chances are the creater was some combination of Geppetto and Da Vinci (or Da Finci as KI called him) who started out as a toymaker and the Armada was based off an improvement of his original project which was a toy (and that 'Kane' was his Pinnochio). I mean, not every genius was very well known before people discovered his/her talent in the future; they have to start from somewhere.

Also, never heard of Bohemian Rhapsody

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
winter goddess on Aug 6, 2014 wrote:
Have you forget that KI don't always uses the original names of anyone no matter how historical they are and such? chances are KI have a different name to call Galileo for copyrights purposes (i.e. Long ranger=Lone ranger, Bonnie Anne= Anne Bonnie?). Plus I got the toymaker idea because that's what the Armada called him. Chances are the creater was some combination of Geppetto and Da Vinci (or Da Finci as KI called him) who started out as a toymaker and the Armada was based off an improvement of his original project which was a toy (and that 'Kane' was his Pinnochio). I mean, not every genius was very well known before people discovered his/her talent in the future; they have to start from somewhere.

Well currently we can say the name Galileo within the confined of filtered chat. But after an extensive search of the game, I found that there are no NPC's named Galileo. Nor can Galileo be used by a pet, player, or ship. This means that unlike Geppeto, Galileo is an unused name that is included in Pirate's filtered chat. So the KI devs must have added that name to the list for a reason, but have also left the name unused.

Now, does anyone remember what the name of the toymaker in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was? Although, I still say that the toymaker is Galileo, and will continue to do so until proven incorrect.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
winter goddess on Aug 6, 2014 wrote:

There is no need for KI to fear using Galileo's name for fear infringing on copywrite ( since he's been dead for over 300 years ) They use variants on names to create a pun and to invoke an historical figure. They are also using the name of Cagliostro. I'ld be interested to see if the game's Cagliostro reflects the historical one. If Ki used Geppetto as a name, they might run into danger with a copywrite from Disney.
Your ignorance of Bohemian Rhapsody saddens me
It's Free Ranger ( and yes there's a copywrite attached to the Lone Ranger )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Aug 6, 2014 wrote:
Well currently we can say the name Galileo within the confined of filtered chat. But after an extensive search of the game, I found that there are no NPC's named Galileo. Nor can Galileo be used by a pet, player, or ship. This means that unlike Geppeto, Galileo is an unused name that is included in Pirate's filtered chat. So the KI devs must have added that name to the list for a reason, but have also left the name unused.

Now, does anyone remember what the name of the toymaker in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was? Although, I still say that the toymaker is Galileo, and will continue to do so until proven incorrect.
It was Professor Potts ( I think ) I don't remember his first name.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
anecorbie on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
It was Professor Potts ( I think ) I don't remember his first name.
I think Professor Potts was the the inventor played by Dick Van Dyke who created Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, (the car). I was thinking of the toymaker in the village that had banned all children.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
I think Professor Potts was the the inventor played by Dick Van Dyke who created Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, (the car). I was thinking of the toymaker in the village that had banned all children.
Yes. I see. That character was played by Benny Hill, I believe.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

Ok, I just checked this on-line, the characters 'name' is...... the toymaker!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

According to the script & credits he is just know as "Toymaker" Hmmm....

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Does anyone remember the side quest in Puerto Mico where we help a monkey recover toy soldiers from the Marleybone ships? His comment that his toys were so authentic that they are use in planning battles has popped into my head recently.
So here's a speculation on the mysterious 'Toymaker'. Could the 'Toymaker' be responsible for those toy soldiers and is he smuggling them into Puerto Mico? He is in hiding in Valencia but if he's with the Resistance, why didn't he tell them about Kane's weakness? I can see two reasons: he fears that there's a traitor in the Resistance or the obvious answer - he's not hiding with the Resistance for the same reason. As if trying to find him needed to get even more complicated!

Things we know about the 'Toymaker': He constructed the clockwork birds, these birds are very well made. They include a secret code using Aquilan Linear B. The code is signed 'G'
What we know about the man who made Kane and the Clockworks: He is a Valencian and a genius.
Is there evidence for two people connected with the construction of the Armada and the clockwork birds? No.
Therefore 'Toymaker' and 'G' are the same person to construct the Armada and the clockwork birds with that all-important message. And 'G' is Galileo, historically a genius, and Italian.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
anecorbie on Aug 10, 2014 wrote:
Does anyone remember the side quest in Puerto Mico where we help a monkey recover toy soldiers from the Marleybone ships? His comment that his toys were so authentic that they are use in planning battles has popped into my head recently.
So here's a speculation on the mysterious 'Toymaker'. Could the 'Toymaker' be responsible for those toy soldiers and is he smuggling them into Puerto Mico? He is in hiding in Valencia but if he's with the Resistance, why didn't he tell them about Kane's weakness? I can see two reasons: he fears that there's a traitor in the Resistance or the obvious answer - he's not hiding with the Resistance for the same reason. As if trying to find him needed to get even more complicated!

Things we know about the 'Toymaker': He constructed the clockwork birds, these birds are very well made. They include a secret code using Aquilan Linear B. The code is signed 'G'
What we know about the man who made Kane and the Clockworks: He is a Valencian and a genius.
Is there evidence for two people connected with the construction of the Armada and the clockwork birds? No.
Therefore 'Toymaker' and 'G' are the same person to construct the Armada and the clockwork birds with that all-important message. And 'G' is Galileo, historically a genius, and Italian.
Very Nice Esmeralda, if I could yar that twice I would.

I agree completely with Esmeralda's concept, it's a very nice parsimonious thought. It is much simpler to have a single Valencian genius who created both the Armada, and the clockwork birds, and is now gone into hiding somewhere in the spiral, rather than having two separate Valencian Geniuses who work on very similar projects, and who are both being hunted by the Armada. Why have two characters, when one is enough?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Aug 10, 2014 wrote:
Very Nice Esmeralda, if I could yar that twice I would.

I agree completely with Esmeralda's concept, it's a very nice parsimonious thought. It is much simpler to have a single Valencian genius who created both the Armada, and the clockwork birds, and is now gone into hiding somewhere in the spiral, rather than having two separate Valencian Geniuses who work on very similar projects, and who are both being hunted by the Armada. Why have two characters, when one is enough?
Esmeralda is a lovely name, unfortunately , I'm Esperanza ( I know, it's very close! )

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
I think Kane is a privateer but when we fight him he can also use other classes techniques, with 'Lady Elite' I don't really know if it is her confirmed name or what because Desdemona seems like a name that might be her. I do think she is probably a swashbuckler but there is a possibility that it is our characters' mother. Phule seems to be like a Two-Faced Jester and considering he has a wand I think he is a witchdoctor and hope to fight him in the upcoming worlds.
Happy Pirating,
Brave Bradley Barclay
Loyal Luis Laveer
Charming Chris Collins

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ninja Phoenix123 on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
I think Kane is a privateer but when we fight him he can also use other classes techniques, with 'Lady Elite' I don't really know if it is her confirmed name or what because Desdemona seems like a name that might be her. I do think she is probably a swashbuckler but there is a possibility that it is our characters' mother. Phule seems to be like a Two-Faced Jester and considering he has a wand I think he is a witchdoctor and hope to fight him in the upcoming worlds.
Happy Pirating,
Brave Bradley Barclay
Loyal Luis Laveer
Charming Chris Collins
Happy pirating to you, also, Brave Bradley, and welcome!

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Happy Pirating,
Brave Bradley Barclay
Loyal Luis Laveer
Charming Chris Collins
Gah! My character has a clockwork for a mom? But then who's in the picture...

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Happy Pirating,
Brave Bradley Barclay
Loyal Luis Laveer
Charming Chris Collins
Greetings, Monsieur Bradley and friends... yes the idea that 'Desdemona' may be the Lady Elite's name has come up before, and certainly is a possibility. After all, in the story of Othello, Desdemona loves the Venetian general Othello, rejecting as a husband the nobleman her father would prefer her to marry. And since Kane is a Valencian general (chief Admiral, really), and there is a Lady in his court, and the court is known to be devoted to Kane, this does provide some circumstancial evidence for the Lady Elite to be Desdemona.

Only, I don't think so. And for that, I don't have even any circumstancial evidence, just a gut feeling (which of course could be entirely wrong ). First, if the Lady Elite were to love someone, even if it is the logical choice of Kane, it would soften her personality, and create a sense of sympathy. And I must confess, I really hope that isn't the case, partly because it follows a common old female villain stereotype and, ugh, I've had to deal with enough stereotyping in my real life to hope that new literature doesn't follow those patterns necessarily. Also, I don't want to feel sympathy for her. I want her to be formidable and scary!

Second, although we have seen that the Elites are capable of hate (a whole lot of it), from Blind Mew's hints that he has dropped it seems that they are likely incapable of love.

Third, there is -for me- the character of Desdemona herself. In Shakespeare's play, Desdemona is a pure-hearted innocent, a woman of courage who defies her powerful father to marry the man she loves. And then, she pays for her bravery and devotion by being murdered by the one she loves best. Not a satisfying end for her, from my point of view, even if she gets to sing a really good song first (The Willow Song). But here we are, in the Spiral, where all sorts of personages, historical and fictional, are re-invented. Perhaps instead of being the hapless daughter of a (Venetian) senator, Desdemona is a senator herself. Perhaps, like her literary counterpart, she is torn between the choice of two men, one she is expected to marry and one whom she loves. Perhaps the man she loves is disgraced because of the Armada, and we must set that right... (eh, just wild imagination at work...)

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Happy Pirating,
Brave Bradley Barclay
Loyal Luis Laveer
Charming Chris Collins
Muppets not puppets...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Aug 20, 2014 wrote:
Greetings, Monsieur Bradley and friends... yes the idea that 'Desdemona' may be the Lady Elite's name has come up before, and certainly is a possibility. After all, in the story of Othello, Desdemona loves the Venetian general Othello, rejecting as a husband the nobleman her father would prefer her to marry. And since Kane is a Valencian general (chief Admiral, really), and there is a Lady in his court, and the court is known to be devoted to Kane, this does provide some circumstancial evidence for the Lady Elite to be Desdemona.

Only, I don't think so. And for that, I don't have even any circumstancial evidence, just a gut feeling (which of course could be entirely wrong ). First, if the Lady Elite were to love someone, even if it is the logical choice of Kane, it would soften her personality, and create a sense of sympathy. And I must confess, I really hope that isn't the case, partly because it follows a common old female villain stereotype and, ugh, I've had to deal with enough stereotyping in my real life to hope that new literature doesn't follow those patterns necessarily. Also, I don't want to feel sympathy for her. I want her to be formidable and scary!

Second, although we have seen that the Elites are capable of hate (a whole lot of it), from Blind Mew's hints that he has dropped it seems that they are likely incapable of love.

Third, there is -for me- the character of Desdemona herself. In Shakespeare's play, Desdemona is a pure-hearted innocent, a woman of courage who defies her powerful father to marry the man she loves. And then, she pays for her bravery and devotion by being murdered by the one she loves best. Not a satisfying end for her, from my point of view, even if she gets to sing a really good song first (The Willow Song). But here we are, in the Spiral, where all sorts of personages, historical and fictional, are re-invented. Perhaps instead of being the hapless daughter of a (Venetian) senator, Desdemona is a senator herself. Perhaps, like her literary counterpart, she is torn between the choice of two men, one she is expected to marry and one whom she loves. Perhaps the man she loves is disgraced because of the Armada, and we must set that right... (eh, just wild imagination at work...)
I'm really not ready to discuss Desdemona; as, like you, I don't believe she is the Lady/Dame. "Your fate hinges on Desdemona, win her love" to paraphrase Apollo. Personally, I think she has been embittered against fate ( ? ) or pirates. Perhaps her love was killed in the war?
Ahh, that lovely song!
"The poor fool sat sighing,
By a sycamore tree,
Sing all a green willow..."

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
darkdoombro345 on Aug 20, 2014 wrote:
Muppets not puppets...
Muppets are soft, cuddly bundles, not hard, oily machines that try to blast you. ( I hope you're not serious about this ). Armada are actually automata ( or robots ), since they've "got no strings".

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Aug 20, 2014 wrote:

Excellent reply I do agree with the whole love thing, and Happy pirating back to you anecorbie.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 20, 2014 wrote:
Gah! My character has a clockwork for a mom? But then who's in the picture...
I'm not saying our mother is the clockwork but is wearing the disguise, it would be horrible to have a heartless woman as a mother.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
anecorbie on Aug 20, 2014 wrote:
Muppets are soft, cuddly bundles, not hard, oily machines that try to blast you. ( I hope you're not serious about this ). Armada are actually automata ( or robots ), since they've "got no strings".
I'm gonna quit saying muppets not puppets- my sense of humor is too evolved for this establishment. Good day!