Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Speculations on the Armada

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9755
Captain Blaze Hunt... on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
Also, anecorbie, take a look and see what the clockworks look like. Don't they already resemble that of 19th century royalty? But maybe Lady Elite isn't a queen. It could be very well that she is Kane's sister
They're costumed in mid 18th century clothes, I don't see the "royalty" part; certainly upper-class nobility.
But both Kane and Rooke affect the military style of that time, although Kane is more early 19th century ( 1800 - 1815, exactly the time of the Napoleonic Wars ).
Bishop is more mage/mad scientist in appearance.
Phule is wearing a traditional jester's costume.
I've stated many speculations regarding the Lady Elite; that she's most likely a swashbuckler ( the Battle Angels are female and swashbucklers ) & that in the chess game reference in P101 that she represents the Knight.
As to her function in Kane's Court, I don't believe that she's second in command, but a subordinate like the other Elites ( and we know that Rooke referred to Deacon as a "brother" ).
Just because the only female piece in chess is the Queen, and we have a single female in the court, that doesn't make her a "queen".
The most important piece on the chess board is the King, check mating him ends the game, but the King is also rather passive; so couldn't Kane also be the "queen"? After all, we're told how he is "faster, stronger and smarter than any living being" and wouldn't that include the Elites?
So if he's faster, etc. than they, then he's also more powerful than any clockwork, including the Lady Elite.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
950
anecorbie on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
WHY does everyone ( except a few ) automatically assume she's his wife simply because she's female and sitting near him?
WHAT does an automaton need a wife for? Why can't people accept that a female may be just an employee or part of an organization without "shipping" her?
Gosh golly, it's the 21st century, yet some player's mindsets are still in the 19th century when it comes to women in jobs or any organization!
Maybe it's my art background ( of which Art History is a basic course that must be taken ) but I can't count the number of paintings I've seen where the adult women ( & a few adolescents ) were All siting down, with no actual relationship to the gentlemen in the picture ( & half of which were standing )! I'll bet most players would assume that if the woman is sitting down and the man is standing, it would indicate that the woman was more important. HAH!
Sorry, but I'm soooo tired of players assuming a relationship between the Lady Elite and Kane. She's just as much an Elite as Phule or Bishop, she has her purpose in Kane's Court ( whatever it is ) and she's not his wife or a Queen!
But, hey, at least you think she's evil and not a potential ally or might be "sympathetic" to us.
I know I've said this before, but I completely, absolutly, agree with Anecorbie on this point.
There is no reason at all for thinking that the female elite must be Kane's wife/sister simply because she's female and seated. I too have pointed out that historicle group paintings frequently had women sitting.

As for the female elite's clothing, Anne Radcliffe has pointed out that the clockwork appears to be wearing a typical hunting outfit, which while still being "lady like" allows for greater freedom of movement. Now, perhaps its because I'm military, and I work with some very nice women who can also be very dangerous people, but I still view the female elite as a very dangerous clockwork. When we meet her, she will not be sympathetic to us, she won't be switching to our side, or telling a story of how Kane forced her to be evil. When we meet the female elite, I'd say beware, she may not be the strongest, fastest, or smartest clockwork, but I have a feeling she will still be the most dangerous.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
anecorbie on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
They're costumed in mid 18th century clothes, I don't see the "royalty" part; certainly upper-class nobility.
But both Kane and Rooke affect the military style of that time, although Kane is more early 19th century ( 1800 - 1815, exactly the time of the Napoleonic Wars ).
Bishop is more mage/mad scientist in appearance.
Phule is wearing a traditional jester's costume.
I've stated many speculations regarding the Lady Elite; that she's most likely a swashbuckler ( the Battle Angels are female and swashbucklers ) & that in the chess game reference in P101 that she represents the Knight.
As to her function in Kane's Court, I don't believe that she's second in command, but a subordinate like the other Elites ( and we know that Rooke referred to Deacon as a "brother" ).
Just because the only female piece in chess is the Queen, and we have a single female in the court, that doesn't make her a "queen".
The most important piece on the chess board is the King, check mating him ends the game, but the King is also rather passive; so couldn't Kane also be the "queen"? After all, we're told how he is "faster, stronger and smarter than any living being" and wouldn't that include the Elites?
So if he's faster, etc. than they, then he's also more powerful than any clockwork, including the Lady Elite.
Well I said she was using him for his power because she might or might not be his wife and she might be using him but she's the real power behind the throne. It would be cool if that was the case at least.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
1196
CdeWinter on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
I know I've said this before, but I completely, absolutly, agree with Anecorbie on this point.
There is no reason at all for thinking that the female elite must be Kane's wife/sister simply because she's female and seated. I too have pointed out that historicle group paintings frequently had women sitting.

As for the female elite's clothing, Anne Radcliffe has pointed out that the clockwork appears to be wearing a typical hunting outfit, which while still being "lady like" allows for greater freedom of movement. Now, perhaps its because I'm military, and I work with some very nice women who can also be very dangerous people, but I still view the female elite as a very dangerous clockwork. When we meet her, she will not be sympathetic to us, she won't be switching to our side, or telling a story of how Kane forced her to be evil. When we meet the female elite, I'd say beware, she may not be the strongest, fastest, or smartest clockwork, but I have a feeling she will still be the most dangerous.
We've discussed this at length before, but I completely agree with you, CdeWinter (and Esperanza). Mind you, my observation is based on a brief image of the lady Elite in the puppet show, but to me it looks like she is wearing a riding habit or a 'Brunswick', both of which would serve as 'active wear' for upper class women in the 18th C.

And yes, I have a very bad feeling about her as well - well, bad in that I expect her to be very, very dangerous (and I sincerely look forward to that! ). Players already regard her with confusion based on seeing her portrait in the puppet show, I would expect her to be making full use of her charming appearance (indeed have already done so in Valencia). She might, though, try to enlist our sympathy and pretend she is on our side. In which case, you should be clasping your hands to your head as you stare at the computer and cry to your character: "No! Don't do it! It's a trap!"

As the saying goes, 'appearances can be deceiving'. But is she more better or important than Kane? I highly doubt it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9755
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 2, 2016 wrote:
We've discussed this at length before, but I completely agree with you, CdeWinter (and Esperanza). Mind you, my observation is based on a brief image of the lady Elite in the puppet show, but to me it looks like she is wearing a riding habit or a 'Brunswick', both of which would serve as 'active wear' for upper class women in the 18th C.

And yes, I have a very bad feeling about her as well - well, bad in that I expect her to be very, very dangerous (and I sincerely look forward to that! ). Players already regard her with confusion based on seeing her portrait in the puppet show, I would expect her to be making full use of her charming appearance (indeed have already done so in Valencia). She might, though, try to enlist our sympathy and pretend she is on our side. In which case, you should be clasping your hands to your head as you stare at the computer and cry to your character: "No! Don't do it! It's a trap!"

As the saying goes, 'appearances can be deceiving'. But is she more better or important than Kane? I highly doubt it.
I'm hoping that the KI writers aren't going to let us be "phuled" into thinking that either the Lady or Phule could be potential allies or switch to our side.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Ok if they are ruling Valencia then it is to say they are in charge. Usually people who are in charge can be seated. Also if its a "court" it would make sense the most important would be seated. She seems to be wearing a masquerade ball mask but she does not have wings like the angels. She must be able to get around somehow perhaps she can teleport. She must be able to summon the angels somehow... I would go so far as to say she is in charge of the armada's battle attack strategies. I would put Kane as in the privateer role being in charge of its defense. That is why they both share the seated position. Swashbucklers and Privateers balance each other.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9755
DuranteRamses87 on Apr 4, 2016 wrote:
Ok if they are ruling Valencia then it is to say they are in charge. Usually people who are in charge can be seated. Also if its a "court" it would make sense the most important would be seated. She seems to be wearing a masquerade ball mask but she does not have wings like the angels. She must be able to get around somehow perhaps she can teleport. She must be able to summon the angels somehow... I would go so far as to say she is in charge of the armada's battle attack strategies. I would put Kane as in the privateer role being in charge of its defense. That is why they both share the seated position. Swashbucklers and Privateers balance each other.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
But Avery has a "court" also. I think the KI artist was echoing the conventions of 18th - 19th century portraiture in the picture of Kane's Court.
Now as to the movement of the Lady, what's wrong with her walking? Or even running? Jumping is a swashbuckler talent and I can cover a great distance using it. I'm sure that's possible even in her gown/riding habit.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
anecorbie on Apr 4, 2016 wrote:
But Avery has a "court" also. I think the KI artist was echoing the conventions of 18th - 19th century portraiture in the picture of Kane's Court.
Now as to the movement of the Lady, what's wrong with her walking? Or even running? Jumping is a swashbuckler talent and I can cover a great distance using it. I'm sure that's possible even in her gown/riding habit.
There is more than one type of court. Court can mean a big circular room with lawyers and defendants and all that stuff while the other court is like a courtyard. Captain Avery is trying to get the more infamous pirates to help run skull island so his court wouldn't be very strong at the moment.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
BTW this was not an attempt to derail the conversation so pls keep talking about the armada.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 2, 2016 wrote:
We've discussed this at length before, but I completely agree with you, CdeWinter (and Esperanza). Mind you, my observation is based on a brief image of the lady Elite in the puppet show, but to me it looks like she is wearing a riding habit or a 'Brunswick', both of which would serve as 'active wear' for upper class women in the 18th C.

And yes, I have a very bad feeling about her as well - well, bad in that I expect her to be very, very dangerous (and I sincerely look forward to that! ). Players already regard her with confusion based on seeing her portrait in the puppet show, I would expect her to be making full use of her charming appearance (indeed have already done so in Valencia). She might, though, try to enlist our sympathy and pretend she is on our side. In which case, you should be clasping your hands to your head as you stare at the computer and cry to your character: "No! Don't do it! It's a trap!"

As the saying goes, 'appearances can be deceiving'. But is she more better or important than Kane? I highly doubt it.
"I would expect her to be making full use of her charming appearance"
KI gives Queen Charming Gaze rank 3

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
1196
witchdoctor daruis on Apr 5, 2016 wrote:
"I would expect her to be making full use of her charming appearance"
KI gives Queen Charming Gaze rank 3
Yep, Daruis, you got my point... though I would not expect Charming gaze rank 3 - the reason being that for story quests in Pirate101 the developers make a point of not making them intensely hard. Challenging, yes (that is a great part of the fun), but when main line quests ended up being considered too hard (original Stormzilla, anyone?) they have been carefully modified.

Moo's Tower, however, is not a main line quest, so some exceptionally challenging villains can be on hand... like dear Faye of the Nefarious 5, who has a habit of convincing me -temporarily- that she is my best friend ever. That being said, I would not be surprised to see the female elite have some sort of 'charm' as part of her arsenal. That sort of characteristic, after all, has been often part of the weapons used by dangerous female villains in classical fiction.

But would Kane have 'charm' as part of his arsenal? The point could be argued that if the lady elite has it, then Kane could have it as well, as it seems that the various elites have characteristics directly derived from Kane. Conversely, it could be argued that Kane, who shows every indication of desiring to rule the denizens of the Spiral through maximum force, would have no use for using charm. Still, there is Kane's original function to be considered: designed to be the Admiral of Valencian naval forces, would he have been designed to be functional for negotiating peace treaties as well?

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
Yep, Daruis, you got my point... though I would not expect Charming gaze rank 3 - the reason being that for story quests in Pirate101 the developers make a point of not making them intensely hard. Challenging, yes (that is a great part of the fun), but when main line quests ended up being considered too hard (original Stormzilla, anyone?) they have been carefully modified.

Moo's Tower, however, is not a main line quest, so some exceptionally challenging villains can be on hand... like dear Faye of the Nefarious 5, who has a habit of convincing me -temporarily- that she is my best friend ever. That being said, I would not be surprised to see the female elite have some sort of 'charm' as part of her arsenal. That sort of characteristic, after all, has been often part of the weapons used by dangerous female villains in classical fiction.

But would Kane have 'charm' as part of his arsenal? The point could be argued that if the lady elite has it, then Kane could have it as well, as it seems that the various elites have characteristics directly derived from Kane. Conversely, it could be argued that Kane, who shows every indication of desiring to rule the denizens of the Spiral through maximum force, would have no use for using charm. Still, there is Kane's original function to be considered: designed to be the Admiral of Valencian naval forces, would he have been designed to be functional for negotiating peace treaties as well?
Of course, I'm sure she wouldn't be too overpowered, don't forget we would be getting more powers too

Anyway I would like to design my own epic charming gaze 3

Charming Gaze 3:60% chance to charm unit for 1 turn, 30%chance to charm unit for 2 turns when unit is let go of charm, the unit gains 25% bonus attack power against the charmer, the effect could be called, Rage.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
Bishop's design is based off the black death plague so is it possible that he will have a hand in doing some devastating damage widespread to another realm?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9755
Pirate101 fan on Apr 13, 2016 wrote:
Bishop's design is based off the black death plague so is it possible that he will have a hand in doing some devastating damage widespread to another realm?
Yes, Bishop's mask is based on the mask doctors wore during the plague/Black Death. Is it possible that he'll have a hand in doing devastating damage widespread to another realm? What do you think he's been doing? Knitting doilies? Wasn't Beachhead devastating enough? ( My apologies if you haven't been to Marleybone yet. )

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
anecorbie on Apr 13, 2016 wrote:
Yes, Bishop's mask is based on the mask doctors wore during the plague/Black Death. Is it possible that he'll have a hand in doing devastating damage widespread to another realm? What do you think he's been doing? Knitting doilies? Wasn't Beachhead devastating enough? ( My apologies if you haven't been to Marleybone yet. )
I think he has far more potential then failing to protect the armada's equivalent of the death star. I think he will be much more of a threat when he finishes aquiring those upgrades that he's been getting. After that I bet he'll be a power house simular to rooke and will be more capable of destroying a large area while we are absent.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
anecorbie on Apr 13, 2016 wrote:
Yes, Bishop's mask is based on the mask doctors wore during the plague/Black Death. Is it possible that he'll have a hand in doing devastating damage widespread to another realm? What do you think he's been doing? Knitting doilies? Wasn't Beachhead devastating enough? ( My apologies if you haven't been to Marleybone yet. )
Next time we fight him he has to have some sort of plaguing attack

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9755
witchdoctor daruis on Apr 14, 2016 wrote:
Next time we fight him he has to have some sort of plaguing attack
Just because he's wearing a plague mask, doesn't mean he should have a plague attack. Let's just wait and see what KI has done.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
anecorbie on Apr 4, 2016 wrote:
But Avery has a "court" also. I think the KI artist was echoing the conventions of 18th - 19th century portraiture in the picture of Kane's Court.
Now as to the movement of the Lady, what's wrong with her walking? Or even running? Jumping is a swashbuckler talent and I can cover a great distance using it. I'm sure that's possible even in her gown/riding habit.
Because she travels through the void!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9755
DuranteRamses87 on Apr 14, 2016 wrote:
Because she travels through the void!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Well, we don't know what's under that skirt, she could have a pair of rocket- boosted skates on her feet.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
433
anecorbie on Apr 14, 2016 wrote:
Well, we don't know what's under that skirt, she could have a pair of rocket- boosted skates on her feet.
Or maybe she has wings like her battle angels.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
433
I know this is highly unlikely, but perhaps, we don't win. The armada doesn't either, though. Both Avery's pirate haven and Kane's empire re destroyed. Think about it. We want the freedom to do whatever we want, they want complete control. Neither is a feasible or smart plan. This is unlike KI and it would put them in a place where they can't continue with another story arc very easily, but I do feel it is the MOST LIKELY situation, if it were real.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
Fearless Finnagan on Apr 15, 2016 wrote:
I know this is highly unlikely, but perhaps, we don't win. The armada doesn't either, though. Both Avery's pirate haven and Kane's empire re destroyed. Think about it. We want the freedom to do whatever we want, they want complete control. Neither is a feasible or smart plan. This is unlike KI and it would put them in a place where they can't continue with another story arc very easily, but I do feel it is the MOST LIKELY situation, if it were real.
Well they would have to deny us the access of the main hub of the game.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
anecorbie on Apr 14, 2016 wrote:
Well, we don't know what's under that skirt, she could have a pair of rocket- boosted skates on her feet.
I'm sorry I can't continue this one.........I'm not going there.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Fearless Finnagan on Apr 15, 2016 wrote:
Or maybe she has wings like her battle angels.
or like the Tonberry in Final Fantasy she slowly walks up to you......and DOINK! Kills you in a one shot with a chef's knife.....lol

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

There's SAND on my boots!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9755
Fearless Finnagan on Apr 15, 2016 wrote:
I know this is highly unlikely, but perhaps, we don't win. The armada doesn't either, though. Both Avery's pirate haven and Kane's empire re destroyed. Think about it. We want the freedom to do whatever we want, they want complete control. Neither is a feasible or smart plan. This is unlike KI and it would put them in a place where they can't continue with another story arc very easily, but I do feel it is the MOST LIKELY situation, if it were real.
This solution seems very unsatisfying & anti-climatic; we must have a resolution to this conflict. I remember reading a suggestion from a poster that we should enter a dungeon, try to fight Kane and get our tushies handed to us on a platter - Kane then has us captured, then we must fight our way out of prison ( this is a awesome idea & 'escape from prison' would work well in the pirates story frame. )