Coming Spring Sneak Peek

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
177
I'm pretty excited beefing up my pets to lean mean fighting machines.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
224
I just looked, and I saw a flamingo or ostrich by the pirate in the Temple of Fire. And Xol Amul... sounds Aztecan! And Bestia... the dock there matches the one in Avery's Court! That must mean the floating island is Bestia! Oh, so exciting!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Ratbeard on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
There are not enough YARs in the world for Valkoor.
Wow, thank you Ratbeard- I absolutely appreciate you not only thinking that, but actually taking the time to post it means a whole lot. Seriously...a lot. Thanks again!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Golden Guardian on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
My very friendly Armadillo (Admiral Chucklesworth) has been practicing singing somehow ever since he heard about the Arrmadisco. Ever since then I always hear him sing: "they see me rolling"... . He even has his own dance routine and plans to to roll across skull island to celebrate the opening of the updated Court. Any other strange armadillo behavior pirates?
Well, Golden Guardian- it's quite embarrassing...but ol' Gus was at it again. This time actually at the new ARMADISCO, on the dance floor- singing to Valkoor, with total disregard for a pirate's sense of pride. Picture Valkoor's embarrassment as Sir Gus belted out this disco blast from the past, if you will....

At first I was alone,
no one by my side.
Kept rolled up in a ball,
as I tried so hard to hide.
But I loosened up my armored shell,
and thought how the Armada did you wrong.
You're a pirate who's strong,
And I know right where I belong.
And now Kane's back,
trying to hold you down.
As I Hustle across this dance floor,
just know that we are honor bound.
Oh, I should have learned to whistle,
But I'll just tell everyone Ahoy!
Hot dang I love to Disco,
Kane you can wait...cause right now it's Van McCoy!
GO on Kane GO, you won't get too far.
Pirate if you're with me,
well then just let out a YARRR!
Wasn't Kane the one who hurt me, hung me out to dry.
Did he think I'd shrivel?
Did he think I'd just roll right up and die?
Oh no...no I
I just split my shell,
But as long as I stay in a ball,
no one will ever tell.
I've got way too much pride,
but the Disco's burnin' deep inside.
Oooh, time to slide.
I WILL SURVIVE...Hee, Hee
As you can imagine, it will be a quite a long time before Valkoor can show his face again in Avery's Court. I think Sir Gus is taking this ARMADISCO thing a bit too far.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
I hear my little 'dillo in the shower offering up this little semi-disco ditty.......

"Well, you can tell by the way I use my roll,
I'm a pirate's pet- no time to fret,
Music loud and armor on, I've been known to roll
Since I was born.
Kane can try to run away.
But we'll find him any way.
After I- cut my rug
I'll go relentless on that thug.
Whether you're a 'dillo or soft as a pillow,
You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Lovin' me some disco, and crackers from Nabisco.
And I'm stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha stayin' aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!


Now...Riposte


What can I say, Sir Gus loves himself some disco.
ROFLMTO. Oh Every time I think you have reached the depths of hilarity you go and zing me with another wonderful chuckle worthy addition that has me snicker spittin' one more time. Oh Goodness that was funny and I absolutely sang that in my head as I read it. Even seeing Armadillos rolling down the sidewalk taking turns advancing to imitate the walking boots.

Lieutenant
Apr 30, 2011
106
Hi Chrissy, forgive me for changing the subject. Heh. *Clears throat*
Do you have a level 65 Privateer, too? I think I met you in Skull Island Skyway on a Privateer last night.
Jacob Level 65
Jacob Rakes Level 44
Jacob Rakes Level 31
Jacob Level 5

Developer
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
ROFLMTO. Oh Every time I think you have reached the depths of hilarity you go and zing me with another wonderful chuckle worthy addition that has me snicker spittin' one more time. Oh Goodness that was funny and I absolutely sang that in my head as I read it. Even seeing Armadillos rolling down the sidewalk taking turns advancing to imitate the walking boots.
Thank you Chrissy, I can always count on you to appreciate my dry and somewhat strange sense of humor. Sorry, if your screen got an iced coffee shower again. And you are so right, it is a catchy tune for sure and I love your imagery of the 'dillos on the sidewalk imitating the boots...I wasn't even picturing the video at the time- but now I sure am.

Developer
thatonevalenciansw... on Mar 23, 2014 wrote:
im guessing it's the next chapter do to blind mew stating that the next chapter isnt a valencia one it's actually a skull island one.
I said that?

Developer
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
I hear my little 'dillo in the shower offering up this little semi-disco ditty.......

"Well, you can tell by the way I use my roll,
I'm a pirate's pet- no time to fret,
Music loud and armor on, I've been known to roll
Since I was born.
Kane can try to run away.
But we'll find him any way.
After I- cut my rug
I'll go relentless on that thug.
Whether you're a 'dillo or soft as a pillow,
You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Lovin' me some disco, and crackers from Nabisco.
And I'm stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha stayin' aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!


Now...Riposte


What can I say, Sir Gus loves himself some disco.
Wow. Whatever inspired that, you need to bottle it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Beautifulmonkey on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Hi Chrissy, forgive me for changing the subject. Heh. *Clears throat*
Do you have a level 65 Privateer, too? I think I met you in Skull Island Skyway on a Privateer last night.
Jacob Level 65
Jacob Rakes Level 44
Jacob Rakes Level 31
Jacob Level 5
I sure do. That would be Fair Christian Nightingale

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Blind Mew on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Wow. Whatever inspired that, you need to bottle it.
Well thank you Blind Mew...uh, that is unless by bottle it you meant put a cork in it! Right now I just have it in a Tupperware container, but one of those cheap ones you get from store bought lunch meat- so needless to say, some escapes every now and again.

oh, and Ratbeard....some ABBA coming right up, Sir Gus was just saving the best for last!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Well thank you Blind Mew...uh, that is unless by bottle it you meant put a cork in it! Right now I just have it in a Tupperware container, but one of those cheap ones you get from store bought lunch meat- so needless to say, some escapes every now and again.

oh, and Ratbeard....some ABBA coming right up, Sir Gus was just saving the best for last!
* Sets ice coffee down and pushes it as far away from computer as possible and settles down to wait. *

Ensign
Mar 15, 2012
19
I cant wait any longer I saw the sneak peak and I think there will be new worlds.But I dont think the new worlds will be Polaris or Darkmoor like I ask the shipyards to add them.Well we will just have to wait and see.

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
140
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
* Sets ice coffee down and pushes it as far away from computer as possible and settles down to wait. *
the poem isn't going to end well so forget i was ever here

Petty Officer
Dec 21, 2008
50
I'm really worried about the pets - the training portion. If it's anything like Wizard101, it's going to be a major issue. Ratbeard already stated that they made a big difference for him while playing... and he's a developer.

My concern is that they are going to take too long or be too difficult or time-consuming to train and involve "pay-to-win" type mega snacks, just like Wizard. We know that they'll be a necessity, especially in PvP. The question is how much work it'll require to train, morph, train, morph, and work on getting six perfect talents instead of Wizard's five. The best thing Pirate101 can do is A) maintain the subtly of pets (which it sounds like it out of the question) or B) make pets simple enough to train that everyone can obtain what's considered to be a perfect pet in a much more realistic amount of time.

Pirate hasn't disappointed at all so far, they've always gone above and beyond! Here's hoping this update is just the same.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Ratbeard on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Another solid effort.

Now: Where's my ABBA?
Ok Ratbeard- first let me start by saying that ABBA was a bit harder than I thought...a little trickier lyrically and following along with ABBA's delivery- absolutely love the songs though. So...

Valkoor recovered from his moment of sheer embarrassment at the paws of his armadillo verde, Sir Gus. To his surprise, upon entering the brilliant, light and smoke filled ARMADISCO, he was a bit shocked to see ol' Gus strutting his disco stuff as he tried to woo a cute little Girlmadillo with more of his fine disco delivery and sweet moves.

"We can dance, we can roll, spinning the rest of our lives
Be my boo, hear my plea, dig in the dirt with me
Friday night at the Armadisco
I shined my scutes and I'm good to go
Where we can roll to and fro...letting our tails swing
Maybe even count our rings.
Watch the Spiral just roll on by
Floor is ours, so let's just jive
No sign of Kane, yeah everything is fine
And the beat is relentless
And girl, you really are the best
You're my Dancing Queen, verde means green, you're every 'dillo's dream
Disco Queen, nearly blinding me, with your armor's sheen
We can roll, my ball of fun, my round 'little armored one'
See that nose, girl of my dreams, diggin' my 'Dillo Queen"
Feeling that things would never quite be the same, Valkoor left the Disco and Gus with the thought that he just lost his pet, battle mate and friend- all 'rolled up' into one. The weight he felt on his heart was just too heavy and when he let out a deep sigh it took the form of yet another Disco(?) Ditty. (Here is some complimentary Blondie-Heart of Glass for you Ratbeard).

Once I had a pet...and it's name was Guuuuus
But now a new girl has come between us
We had a good thing...but now I fiiiiiind
My little 'dillo, done left me behind
We fought in battles...and it was diviiiiiine
With 2 epics, that little guy shined
He saw the real me...though he's nearly bliiiiiiind
Mucho Riposte, and Relentless time
In my dreams
I see his shell spinning and I'm feeling fine
Armor so impressive, nothing quite like it's shine
I have tried equipping, but it's just not good
Discoing like you do
Once I had pet, he spun so faaaaast
He just broke my heart of glass
Seems like the Disco, has made him bliiiiiind
Guess it may be Bestia time


Well, looks like some much needed pet retraining is in order for that Sir Gus...the ARMADISCO has just torn him and Valkoor apart.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5494
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Well thank you Blind Mew...uh, that is unless by bottle it you meant put a cork in it! Right now I just have it in a Tupperware container, but one of those cheap ones you get from store bought lunch meat- so needless to say, some escapes every now and again.

oh, and Ratbeard....some ABBA coming right up, Sir Gus was just saving the best for last!
Actually, I think he means you should bottle it and sell it ( like Yum ) It would be an excellent vintage - light and amusing, if a little dry....

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
anecorbie on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
Actually, I think he means you should bottle it and sell it ( like Yum ) It would be an excellent vintage - light and amusing, if a little dry....
...just the way I like my Yum, too. Thank you anecorbie- and yes, my response to the fine Mr. Mew was just another example of my dryness wanting to come out to play. I was just thrilled to see a response from Blind Mew period!

Developer
Swordroll on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
I'm really worried about the pets - the training portion. If it's anything like Wizard101, it's going to be a major issue. Ratbeard already stated that they made a big difference for him while playing... and he's a developer.

My concern is that they are going to take too long or be too difficult or time-consuming to train and involve "pay-to-win" type mega snacks, just like Wizard. We know that they'll be a necessity, especially in PvP. The question is how much work it'll require to train, morph, train, morph, and work on getting six perfect talents instead of Wizard's five. The best thing Pirate101 can do is A) maintain the subtly of pets (which it sounds like it out of the question) or B) make pets simple enough to train that everyone can obtain what's considered to be a perfect pet in a much more realistic amount of time.

Pirate hasn't disappointed at all so far, they've always gone above and beyond! Here's hoping this update is just the same.
Too difficult or time consuming to train: A couple of mouse clicks every few minutes to set your pet on their training task; and because the training time increases as the pet levels, eventually it will be a couple of mouse clicks every play session.

Too expensive to train: I didn't use any crowns packs training my pet (that was the point of my test, actually)-- just the snacks that were available on the pavilion vendor. You can get more snacks and gear from pet matches (for free), and you can get even more snacks and gear by sending your companions out to get it (also free).

A necessity in PvP: Look-- if you guys want PvP to be a part of this game, then you should expect that all other parts of the game are going to be part of PvP, and that includes Pets. Just as PvP includes questing and farming for good loot.

Everything rolls together and feeds back into other systems, so the more you invest in the game, the more you will get out of all parts of the game. Hypothetically speaking, when Crafting comes to P101, you should fully expect that to affect PvP, too. For that matter, when ranked PvP arrives, you should expect that to affect pets, questing, and crafting. You should not expect balkanization of systems.

It should be easy to build the perfect pet: No, it shouldn't. It should be hard to build the perfect pet, so that somebody who goes to the trouble of building a perfect pet is rewarded for their hard work. I would rather reward someone for hard work with a great pet, than make it simple for everyone to have a "subtle" (read: ineffectual) pet.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
Ok Ratbeard- first let me start by saying that ABBA was a bit harder than I thought...a little trickier lyrically and following along with ABBA's delivery- absolutely love the songs though. So...

Valkoor recovered from his moment of sheer embarrassment at the paws of his armadillo verde, Sir Gus. To his surprise, upon entering the brilliant, light and smoke filled ARMADISCO, he was a bit shocked to see ol' Gus strutting his disco stuff as he tried to woo a cute little Girlmadillo with more of his fine disco delivery and sweet moves.

"We can dance, we can roll, spinning the rest of our lives
Be my boo, hear my plea, dig in the dirt with me
Friday night at the Armadisco
I shined my scutes and I'm good to go
Where we can roll to and fro...letting our tails swing
Maybe even count our rings.
Watch the Spiral just roll on by
Floor is ours, so let's just jive
No sign of Kane, yeah everything is fine
And the beat is relentless
And girl, you really are the best
You're my Dancing Queen, verde means green, you're every 'dillo's dream
Disco Queen, nearly blinding me, with your armor's sheen
We can roll, my ball of fun, my round 'little armored one'
See that nose, girl of my dreams, diggin' my 'Dillo Queen"
Feeling that things would never quite be the same, Valkoor left the Disco and Gus with the thought that he just lost his pet, battle mate and friend- all 'rolled up' into one. The weight he felt on his heart was just too heavy and when he let out a deep sigh it took the form of yet another Disco(?) Ditty. (Here is some complimentary Blondie-Heart of Glass for you Ratbeard).

Once I had a pet...and it's name was Guuuuus
But now a new girl has come between us
We had a good thing...but now I fiiiiiind
My little 'dillo, done left me behind
We fought in battles...and it was diviiiiiine
With 2 epics, that little guy shined
He saw the real me...though he's nearly bliiiiiiind
Mucho Riposte, and Relentless time
In my dreams
I see his shell spinning and I'm feeling fine
Armor so impressive, nothing quite like it's shine
I have tried equipping, but it's just not good
Discoing like you do
Once I had pet, he spun so faaaaast
He just broke my heart of glass
Seems like the Disco, has made him bliiiiiind
Guess it may be Bestia time


Well, looks like some much needed pet retraining is in order for that Sir Gus...the ARMADISCO has just torn him and Valkoor apart.
OH MY GOODNESS Valkoor your genius just never stops. That was beyond amazing. I actually had the foresight to have You Tube up and running and I had the song queued up and ready so I had the "original" music playing as I sang your lyrics and it was just FLAWLESS I had to stop once in a while to just laugh and laugh. You have an gift that would give Dr.Zeppers and his videos a run for his yum if you had a singing voice and video equipment. If you don't then I HIGHlY suggest a collaboration. That was brilliant and beyond amazing and I am so grateful I made sure the ice coffee was out of reach. That was just so fun that I have to do it again. You are a true shining star Valkoor. Let nothing or no challenge allow it to dim. *Bows to deeply and with great respect.* Yes bottle that stuff and you will make a fortune handing it out that will make El Dorado look like something behind Oz's curtain.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Ratbeard on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
Too difficult or time consuming to train: A couple of mouse clicks every few minutes to set your pet on their training task; and because the training time increases as the pet levels, eventually it will be a couple of mouse clicks every play session.

Too expensive to train: I didn't use any crowns packs training my pet (that was the point of my test, actually)-- just the snacks that were available on the pavilion vendor. You can get more snacks and gear from pet matches (for free), and you can get even more snacks and gear by sending your companions out to get it (also free).

A necessity in PvP: Look-- if you guys want PvP to be a part of this game, then you should expect that all other parts of the game are going to be part of PvP, and that includes Pets. Just as PvP includes questing and farming for good loot.

Everything rolls together and feeds back into other systems, so the more you invest in the game, the more you will get out of all parts of the game. Hypothetically speaking, when Crafting comes to P101, you should fully expect that to affect PvP, too. For that matter, when ranked PvP arrives, you should expect that to affect pets, questing, and crafting. You should not expect balkanization of systems.

It should be easy to build the perfect pet: No, it shouldn't. It should be hard to build the perfect pet, so that somebody who goes to the trouble of building a perfect pet is rewarded for their hard work. I would rather reward someone for hard work with a great pet, than make it simple for everyone to have a "subtle" (read: ineffectual) pet.
"No, it shouldn't. It should be hard to build the perfect pet, so that somebody who goes to the trouble of building a perfect pet is rewarded for their hard work. I would rather reward someone for hard work with a great pet, than make it simple for everyone to have a "subtle" (read: ineffectual) pet."
Hardy Yar here Ratbeard. I couldn't agree with you more here. So many want the good stuff handed to them without putting any effort in to get it. They expect it to theirs just because. I remember, growing up that if I wanted something beyond a need I had to go do some unpleasant jobs to earn the money and THEN get my item. I totally appreciated the goodie because I worked hard for it and I earned it with my sweat and toil. It is the very reason that I will unfriend someone that keeps insist that I help them through the game with stuff that is easily soloed. I give teaching tips for them to help them do it themselves but all they want is for me to go get a higher pirate so they can get through faster. I feel I am doing them a disservice by allowing them to stay weak and not learning the concepts you get by learning HOW to defeat the bosses, not to stand by and let someone else do the work for them. Great stats and stuff comes from hard work and learning how to do it well, not having the game nurffed so that all can have the same thing. If I see someone with something cool I ask them how the did it and I then go try it myself. Learning to do it well is what makes us stronger and able to help others learn too. Well Played Ratbeard. *Bows to with great respect*

Ensign
Jan 12, 2013
2
For pirates who have already gotten past skull island and farther how will this update affect us quest wise and new companion wise

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1876
Blind Mew on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
I said that?
I don't think you really said that.

I'm willing to think that there's going to be a usual round of intro adventures before we undergo our visit to Valencia in the next major story Book. Is it me, or are these adventures before heading to the next major Book getting slightly longer?

If memory serves well, Wizard101 started pre-major adventures beginning with Avalon, and that hasn't been stopping since, because many players liked it.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
738
I think I found a connection O.O

The pic of Ratbeard in what looks to be a ship appears to be the "Maria Celestia" from the sneak peek page.