Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

FYI My ten-year-old daughter says

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Not to be the sexist pig here, but aren't there slightly more important things than a contraversal issue?
And what is the problem? There aren't much female companions, but the ones that we do have are used constantly. Bonnie anne, Zeena and Nausica are the top pvp companions. And they're all female.
No point complaining about quantity when you have good quality.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on Dec 14, 2013 wrote:
Not to be the sexist pig here, but aren't there slightly more important things than a contraversal issue?
And what is the problem? There aren't much female companions, but the ones that we do have are used constantly. Bonnie anne, Zeena and Nausica are the top pvp companions. And they're all female.
No point complaining about quantity when you have good quality.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Not to worry, this is an old thread and comments have calmed down considerably with the addition of several lady pirate companions that can kick tush with grace and style.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 15, 2013 wrote:
Not to worry, this is an old thread and comments have calmed down considerably with the addition of several lady pirate companions that can kick tush with grace and style.
i thought you could you could decline companions

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
i thought you could you could decline companions
You can decline the quest that will get you the companion if it is a side quest. If the companion comes as part of the main quest line then having them as a part of your crew is needed for the story.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
You can decline the quest that will get you the companion if it is a side quest. If the companion comes as part of the main quest line then having them as a part of your crew is needed for the story.
oh well they need to bring back actually declining companions cause i remember having the option to decline the guy who joins my crew during the tutorial

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 19, 2013 wrote:
oh well they need to bring back actually declining companions cause i remember having the option to decline the guy who joins my crew during the tutorial
I am just curious as to why you would want to decline a main storyline companion? Having different companions is what keeps you on your toes and keeps the game interesting. If I always had the same companions the battles would get boring really fast. Plus with some bosses, having the option to select from a higher pool allows me to custom design my strategy against the boss fights where you get to choose who fights with you.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 19, 2013 wrote:
I am just curious as to why you would want to decline a main storyline companion? Having different companions is what keeps you on your toes and keeps the game interesting. If I always had the same companions the battles would get boring really fast. Plus with some bosses, having the option to select from a higher pool allows me to custom design my strategy against the boss fights where you get to choose who fights with you.
their class may not fit your strategy also to save companion training points or their look might disturb you honestly if his daughter had declined all male companions have declined all male companions she wouldn't need a lot of female companions to guarantee them in combat and she would not need to spend that many companion training points to keep them all leveled

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 21, 2013 wrote:
their class may not fit your strategy also to save companion training points or their look might disturb you honestly if his daughter had declined all male companions have declined all male companions she wouldn't need a lot of female companions to guarantee them in combat and she would not need to spend that many companion training points to keep them all leveled
There are companions that are part of the storyline and cannot be declined. They speak throughout the game and it would not make sense to have a companion giving your pirate clues or advice that you do not have. This is why you cannot decline them. Besides they can really kick some royal tush .

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 21, 2013 wrote:
There are companions that are part of the storyline and cannot be declined. They speak throughout the game and it would not make sense to have a companion giving your pirate clues or advice that you do not have. This is why you cannot decline them. Besides they can really kick some royal tush .
well i was perfectly happy when i only had a couple companions and one did most the hints that way i knew some random companion wasn't going to mess up my strategy.

i will not consider playing the game again until i can decline companions whoever they are and i can turn story recap off.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 22, 2013 wrote:
well i was perfectly happy when i only had a couple companions and one did most the hints that way i knew some random companion wasn't going to mess up my strategy.

i will not consider playing the game again until i can decline companions whoever they are and i can turn story recap off.
You do realize that the enemies in higher levels are very different than in lower ones? Having the wrong class fight them could cause you to lose the fight. Having lots of companions allows you to stack the deck, in a matter of speaking to help insure you get the right type for some mob fights. When fighting satyrs you do not want your witchdoctors showing up and the only way to help insure that is to put them way back in the crew roster. It's not fool proof, as those one percenters manage to slip in at the worse times but even then I don't mind it. It just keeps me on my toes. It is rare enough though that stacking your roster is a smart move depending on who you are about to fight. Those extra companions and their variety really make the game fun.

Developer

As regards declining Companions: your memory is incorrect. You can skip the Tutorial, but even if you do you get your MooShu companion immediately after. Even if we were going to let you decline main line companions, we'd never let you decline that one - how else could we teach you how to use them?

As for random companions ruining your strategy, sleep tokens and roster placement allow you to mitigate that. We are also exploring many other options. Would you play again if you could guarantee certain companions won't show up?

If I may ask, what's your beef with story recap? The recaps don't last more than 30 seconds...

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 23, 2013 wrote:
You do realize that the enemies in higher levels are very different than in lower ones? Having the wrong class fight them could cause you to lose the fight. Having lots of companions allows you to stack the deck, in a matter of speaking to help insure you get the right type for some mob fights. When fighting satyrs you do not want your witchdoctors showing up and the only way to help insure that is to put them way back in the crew roster. It's not fool proof, as those one percenters manage to slip in at the worse times but even then I don't mind it. It just keeps me on my toes. It is rare enough though that stacking your roster is a smart move depending on who you are about to fight. Those extra companions and their variety really make the game fun.
you realize in many battles you do not get to choose the companions by your side and the randomization can kill you?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Wow, I find it rather disappointing and surprising that you would be willing to stop playing such an amazing game just because you get too many companions and can't decline them. Like Chrissy has stated, too many companions doesn't have to be a negative. Granted there are many times I would like to bench a few more of my companions but I never have wished they weren't there at all. To each their own and you certainly have a right to your opinion but maybe you should try broadening your horizons a bit and take Chrissy's advice.

To follow up with her point- as the game progresses the enemies get much harder and you must learn to use more strategies in order to be successful. Having just a handful of companions when you are level 65 would more than likely make things pretty rough for your pirate and all but cripple your effectiveness in battle. The ability to employ different strategies by using various companions in battle can not only make the game easier, but also much more enjoyable.

Even though there are only 5 classes, each companion within those respective classes possesses a different set of epic talents, powers, talents and set of stats. So you may have 10 different witchdoctors but they will all differ a bit in what they have to offer in battle. Along with each one will come some advantages and drawbacks for each one. Out of the 10 witchdoctors maybe only 2 will be the best option for a particular battle. This can be said for all the classes. To have a larger pool of companions to aid you in battle can make life as a pirate much easier.

The keys to having a large number of companions is training them properly, ordering them effectively, selecting the best options for battle, using them on the battle board strategically and managing your companion training points to get the biggest bang for your buck.

At least give the new members of your crew a chance before you give up on this incredible game. You would be missing out on so much the game has to offer.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Blind Mew on Dec 23, 2013 wrote:
As regards declining Companions: your memory is incorrect. You can skip the Tutorial, but even if you do you get your MooShu companion immediately after. Even if we were going to let you decline main line companions, we'd never let you decline that one - how else could we teach you how to use them?

As for random companions ruining your strategy, sleep tokens and roster placement allow you to mitigate that. We are also exploring many other options. Would you play again if you could guarantee certain companions won't show up?

If I may ask, what's your beef with story recap? The recaps don't last more than 30 seconds...
Well said Blind Mew....well said.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 24, 2013 wrote:
you realize in many battles you do not get to choose the companions by your side and the randomization can kill you?
Of course I realize that. If you would so kindly re read what I said it states that by stacking the order of your companions can really reduce the chances of getting the wrong one. Chance will play a factor here but not enough to cause you to lose the fight. I can work quite well with the current system but at the same time I welcome changes that can make it better. For example maybe having a smaller pool for the game to select a random companion from. Like having the first page be the 'Hot Seats' and you could place and remove companions in there so that the selection can still be random yet you will not get someone that will really handicap you. Getting a witchdoctor in a satyr fight is a great example. That would solve a lot of the problems but I do not know what changes are being worked on, I only know that the genius' at KI are working on it. Those are only my take on the problem but I will be the first to state that I am no programer and there may be many valid reasons that my ideas would not work.
Having these little chinks in the armor just make the game interesting and keeps the challenge aspect going for me. It is never enough of a burr to tempt me to stop playing. The positive benefits of this game way outnumber the chinks.
And as I said before, if the recaps really annoy you, just turn off the sound for 30 seconds and have some fun. Don't cut off your game just to spite your recap .

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
Of course I realize that. If you would so kindly re read what I said it states that by stacking the order of your companions can really reduce the chances of getting the wrong one. Chance will play a factor here but not enough to cause you to lose the fight. I can work quite well with the current system but at the same time I welcome changes that can make it better. For example maybe having a smaller pool for the game to select a random companion from. Like having the first page be the 'Hot Seats' and you could place and remove companions in there so that the selection can still be random yet you will not get someone that will really handicap you. Getting a witchdoctor in a satyr fight is a great example. That would solve a lot of the problems but I do not know what changes are being worked on, I only know that the genius' at KI are working on it. Those are only my take on the problem but I will be the first to state that I am no programer and there may be many valid reasons that my ideas would not work.
Having these little chinks in the armor just make the game interesting and keeps the challenge aspect going for me. It is never enough of a burr to tempt me to stop playing. The positive benefits of this game way outnumber the chinks.
And as I said before, if the recaps really annoy you, just turn off the sound for 30 seconds and have some fun. Don't cut off your game just to spite your recap .
Well said Chrissy.....well said!

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
critical blizzard on Dec 24, 2013 wrote:
But that's whats fun in the game. Or perhaps "challenging" suits the situation more. If you got the best companions every battle, where's the fun in that? You'd blaze through the story better. To make the game more challenging, it forces you to level all your companions equally or else one wrong companion thats level 9 facing level 62 Lastrogeans in Aquila means certain doom. What sort of game would it be if you got what you want, when you want and how you want it?
But by all means, don't just quit the game because of something as insignificant as this! The battles that are random aren't the hardest ones, since that would be unfair. In the hard battles, you CAN choose your companions, so the less intense battles don't kill you instantly if you get one slightly low leveled companions.
Good luck in the future!
Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 54

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
i'm not going to settle for that there use to be a red decline button and a green accept button when a storyline companion offered to join your crew and that was one of the few things i liked about this game but you guys seem to like it gone i'm guessing this is only the opinion of people who don't really like the poorly designed gameplay of pirate101 so kingsisle isn't going to change it back when the people who like the game don't want it

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
critical blizzard on Dec 27, 2013 wrote:
i'm not going to settle for that there use to be a red decline button and a green accept button when a storyline companion offered to join your crew and that was one of the few things i liked about this game but you guys seem to like it gone i'm guessing this is only the opinion of people who don't really like the poorly designed gameplay of pirate101 so kingsisle isn't going to change it back when the people who like the game don't want it
In my opinion, the issue is not about who likes what or doesn't like what. Clearly, as with many aspects of the game, there are going to be players who embrace having to accept all companions, those who oppose having to select yar and are 'forced' to accept them, and those who are indifferent without really paying any mind to it at all. With any game and all things in life, you simply can't please every single individual. Kingsisle has developed an amazing game trying to appeal to the masses but there are also technological and software issues that come into play. They have to attempt to balance so many various aspects and intricacies in developing and producing this incredible game. They have to make it enjoyable and appealing to as many people as possible while still holding true to the visions and dreams they had in the creative process. Having to maintain integrity to there visions, programming and to there loyal fans is, I can only imagine, an overwhelmingly daunting task.

Think about it, they allow their players to provide input, suggestions and opinions, and in many cases implement changes to accommodate their fans wishes. You don't get that with so many games out there. They allow your voice to be heard and they actually listen- providing expert answers as to why they can or can not do certain things in the realm of the game. It is a great thing and perhaps imperative for the developers (regarding feedback) for you to be able to voice your opinion.

Like I said, to me it is not an issue of 'I like this and I don't like that' because KI needs that input from it's players to continue to mold the game into what they envisioned and still maintain integrity of course in order to produce the best game possible. For me, the bigger concern is that you would be willing to give up on a game because you are unhappy with one small aspect of the game. I am sure that every single person who plays pirate101 has at least one thing that they aren't too fond of and would like to see changed. But to just throw in the towel because you don't get your way on one particular thing is pretty drastic. Some things are just part of the game and we have to accept that. KI has been more than gracious.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Perhaps you didn't read far enough back. Ratbeard himself has informed you that your memory is incorrect. What you are remembering is the red decline button of the tutorial, not the companion. That companion could not be declined there because the game had to teach you how to use your companion. We all remember things wrong. It happens. Nothing to be upset about and no shame in admitting it. We are human, we do things like that. But when a designer of the game has informed you of a fact of the game mechanics, you would be very wise to believe them.
Also, there is no need to be quite so harsh. There may be aspects of the game you don't like and that is your right and prerogative but there is no need to resort to bashing the game and saying it's poorly designed just because you are not getting your way. Just because over 5 million players do not agree with you does not lessen your opinion, it is yours. Let's just keep it friendly and realize that to agree to disagree without lashing out is a good resolution. OK

Community Leader
I have played this game through closed Beta. If you saw images reflecting companions you can decline, then you saw screenshots from early early development stages. In which case they obviously saw a flaw in that reasoning and changed it (well before public release).

You could never decline a storyline companion.
You can decline a quest that gives a side quest companion, but you cannot decline a companion.

Just because one person (you) doesn't like it doesn't mean its poorly designed.
Personally I think that the issue your complaining about is one of the best DESIGNED aspects of the game! Keeps me interested.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Dr Zeppers on Dec 27, 2013 wrote:
I have played this game through closed Beta. If you saw images reflecting companions you can decline, then you saw screenshots from early early development stages. In which case they obviously saw a flaw in that reasoning and changed it (well before public release).

You could never decline a storyline companion.
You can decline a quest that gives a side quest companion, but you cannot decline a companion.

Just because one person (you) doesn't like it doesn't mean its poorly designed.
Personally I think that the issue your complaining about is one of the best DESIGNED aspects of the game! Keeps me interested.
zeppers your confused i am the one person who doesn't like not having an option to decline companions. i am one of many who KNOWS this game is poorly designed.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
critical blizzard on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
zeppers your confused i am the one person who doesn't like not having an option to decline companions. i am one of many who KNOWS this game is poorly designed.
I am beginning to see more and more that perhaps you are just a pot stirrer and just feed off of trying to get under people's skin. Clearly your responses are expressed through emotion and do not derive from a well thought out constructive standpoint. Everyone needs constructive criticism but to just say I am not getting what I want so this game stinks does not provide a legitimate argument or helpful feedback to the developers. If you view the game as poorly designed as you say why would you bother to play it all? In my opinion, you don't think the game is as poorly designed as you stated because changing just 1 or 2 aspects of the game wouldn't change your mind in thinking so negatively about it. Trying to get your way by threatening to quit playing is not the best way to voice your opinion. In an earlier post you said "i will not consider playing the game again until i can decline companions whoever they are and i can turn story recap off".

That is clearly a defensive, threatening posture to take- stating that if I don't get my way I refuse to play. You by no means are the only person playing this game- what you want changed, many people love. That goes for everything in the game. Everyone who plays has parts of the game they like and some they are not fond of and many disagree on what those parts are. It is a bit selfish to refuse to play because they don't change what you want and meanwhile you are not giving any thought to many of your fellow pirates who love that aspect of the game. We all have to work together constructively to provide valuable feedback to KingsIsle so they can make changes or adjustments (or just stand put if they choose to- after all, the game is a product of their visions, dreams and hard word) to provide the best game possible.

Furthermore, this game is in no way poorly designed. Maybe there are bits and pieces that could be tweaked here and there but that is part of developing, programming and producing the game. That is why they have updates- they have seen what works and what might need that tweaking or just isn't working the way they envisioned it. There is no way to get it 100% right the first time when you are providing a game to millions of players, all having there own opinions. To me they did pretty dang good from the start and they just continue to update and tweak the game in a positive direction.

By no means is the game as a whole poorly designed. I am sure there are many players who stand behind this statement and Kingsisle and Pirate101.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
I didn't see one thing she said that was wrong. What confusion are you talking about? We are all well aware that you want to be able to decline the main storyline companions. That is what the whole point of this little side jaunt is about. I see no confusion. Please explain.
Obviously you have an issue with absorbing facts. Three people have just very kindly tried to show you that just because you are not getting your way does not equal that the game is poorly designed. Just because there is something you do not like does not equate the game is not well built. No game can please everyone. We have tried to show you that the game designers have bent over backwards to incorporate different things the players request. It is not statistically possible to please each and every player. Because of that impossibility to make it perfect for everyone does not automatically equal a poor game. You may not like a couple of aspects, that is your right but bashing the whole game because you do not see it as perfect seems a bit narrow minded. Besides you are stating your opinion. That is not something that can be proven as a fact. Your using of all caps for the word "Knows" implies you are trying to say your opinion is fact. It is only one view from one person. Over 5 million people just happen to disagree with you. I know that might does not make right but bashing the design of a well made game (which is proved by its success) because you do not see it as perfect for you seems a bit mean. A well designed game pleases the masses and is financially successful. I think they have proven that quite soundly.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
P.S. My mistake and I humbly apologize. It was Blind Mew that corrected Critical Blizzard's memory, not Ratbeard. If it is possible to edit this and correct it I humbly ask for this. Otherwise my profound apologies to Blind Mew for getting the name wrong and to Ratbeard for misquoting him. I should have slowed down and checked my facts. I will chose to do so in the future. I ask forgiveness to the parties I have misrepresented.