FYI My ten-year-old daughter says

AuthorMessage
Developer
Talkin The Plank on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
She wasn't "nerfed" but she does seem a bit weaker than she should be just because you don't get to select any epics for her or many talents compared to, say, Monkey King. Neither here nor there, but thought I'd chime in.
That's one way to look at it, I guess.

On the other hand, she's a cat ninja.

As these types of companions go, I'd rather have a cool cat ninja in my party than some random Monquistador.

We don't, as a general rule, create promotion ranks for villains. What you see is what you get. So our choice is to give you cool villains as soon as the story allows (Fin, Froggo Villa, the Cat Ninja), and then get around to their promotion ranks and extra animations and custom powers when we have the workflow bandwidth to do it.

We need concept artists to figure out what the next promotion should look like, and then a modeler takes that concept art and creates the new tiers, and then an animation artist creates new animations, and then some devious rat decides if the character should have a custom power (like teleporting...) and then that concept goes back to animation and then to particle artists who create the pops and zaps and bangs, and let's not forget the sound crew... and then finally we'll get the companion combat-ready with all the level, stats, and talent data that she needs.

Even if we don't have a concrete plan to add any tiers to a villain, we would rather give you access to the villain as soon as it makes sense with the story. Our writing staff is awesome-- but we would much rather they were writing new stuff for you guys, so we have to strike while the iron is hot if we're going to smoothly integrate these companions into your crew through the quest dialog.

If the Cat Ninja had the power level of a Tier 2 or Tier 3 promotion as soon as you picked her up, then there would be nowhere for her to go if we ever decided to give you additional promotion ranks.

It might help if you looked at these villain companions and said, "Wow! This cat ninja has tons of room for improvement!"

Because that's how I see all our little creations.

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
145
Thomas Stormweaver on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
that there aren't enough female companions, either who join on their own or who you can purchase. She would like to have like 12 females so she can expect an all female lineup during her fights.

She likes buccaneers and swashbucklers and is about half-way through Cool Ranch.
They could add a female cow companion like Moolinda Wu in W101.
Bristly Kevin

Ensign
Oct 17, 2012
38
I agree i am a lvl 50 and have two girl companions. Bonnie anne and the cat ninja.

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
145
stormy hunter zest on Feb 11, 2013 wrote:
I agree i am a lvl 50 and have two girl companions. Bonnie anne and the cat ninja.
Really? I am only a Lvl 43 and have 4 female companions: Sarah Steele, Bonnie Anne, Nurse Quinn, and Mustang Sally.
Bristly Kevin

Bosun
May 06, 2009
372
Ratbeard on Feb 10, 2013 wrote:
That's one way to look at it, I guess.

On the other hand, she's a cat ninja.

As these types of companions go, I'd rather have a cool cat ninja in my party than some random Monquistador.

We don't, as a general rule, create promotion ranks for villains. What you see is what you get. So our choice is to give you cool villains as soon as the story allows (Fin, Froggo Villa, the Cat Ninja), and then get around to their promotion ranks and extra animations and custom powers when we have the workflow bandwidth to do it.

We need concept artists to figure out what the next promotion should look like, and then a modeler takes that concept art and creates the new tiers, and then an animation artist creates new animations, and then some devious rat decides if the character should have a custom power (like teleporting...) and then that concept goes back to animation and then to particle artists who create the pops and zaps and bangs, and let's not forget the sound crew... and then finally we'll get the companion combat-ready with all the level, stats, and talent data that she needs.

Even if we don't have a concrete plan to add any tiers to a villain, we would rather give you access to the villain as soon as it makes sense with the story. Our writing staff is awesome-- but we would much rather they were writing new stuff for you guys, so we have to strike while the iron is hot if we're going to smoothly integrate these companions into your crew through the quest dialog.

If the Cat Ninja had the power level of a Tier 2 or Tier 3 promotion as soon as you picked her up, then there would be nowhere for her to go if we ever decided to give you additional promotion ranks.

It might help if you looked at these villain companions and said, "Wow! This cat ninja has tons of room for improvement!"

Because that's how I see all our little creations.
So, Ratbeard, how does a Companion typically come along when things are all in Alpha as of new content? Do they start off with the Artists just doing doodles of what they think would make an awesome companion, its a group discussion of the whole office, or is it the writers who strictly need an X, Y, and Z companion as the story goes along? And why are they as they are, ex: Bonnie Ann being a fox, Wing Chun a crane, Sarah Steele a mouse etc., etc.(not that I don't like them cause Sarah Steele is boss, just curious)?

And will we see promotional or side Companions who don't do much for the story or do not currently have a large number of promotions get updated, such as Cat Pirate, Monkey King, Mustang Sally, Ninga Pig Companion, Crazy Monquistador bowman, Water Mole Slingman, Chicken Miner, etc.?

Cunning Finnigan Sharp
Level 17 Swashbuckler

Ensign
Dec 21, 2009
8
I have to say not surprise, as a player of their other game, females get the short end of the stick everytime. Example, (as far as there other game, still kind of new on pirates), halloween costumes: guys get a cool, detailed skeletion costume, and females get this genertic witch costume; bundle pack: in one the guys get the post popular arena gear, and the girls get stuck with the second best, sorry not every female wants to be a princess.. just saying. Thats just some of the differents I have seen, I play with a very good guy friend in real life, and the over the years of playing it seems there is a tad different in normal pve game play, seems it is bit harder on the guys, not much but over time u can see it. KI needs more female options when they are making stuff for their games.

Ensign
Nov 26, 2012
17
I think that it wouldn't be a horrid idea to add more females, and I say go ahead and do it. But I do not think it is necessary to have an all female line up... Think about it, your companions are your crew members.. I would assume that not everyone on a crew would be of the same gender. I am not trying to bring in real life aspects this discussion, seeing as this is a game and most certainly is not a real life scenario. (In the real world.. There wouldn't be all that many female pirates in all honesty. But that is beside the point!) I think that yes, the game should add more females. But I also do not think they should refrain from adding more males (I myself prefer male companions, but would GLADLY take a good female companion.. I am not opposed to it! It would be a kind of.. hey, brush it off my shoulder thing and move on really.)

I would like to note that I am male, and that I don't mind using female characters. Heck, my brother has female pirates (not companions. He just wanted to even things out a bit and not have to focus on a bunch of dudes on his loading screen was his reasoning.)

In the end! I am for it. I'd appreciate a bit more equality when it comes to the companion's gender. But at the same time, I don't think it is a do or die huge deal situation here.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
273
Magistermundisum on Nov 17, 2012 wrote:
Is the Cat Ninja male or female?
Female

And I guess a few more females wouldn't hurt but think about pets. My armadillo is a girl

Team Armadillo!!!!


Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
154
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
You know, I understood all the words you wrote there, but taken as a whole none of what you said makes any sense. How is wanting to see a fair gender balance over all (and an all-girl team personally) discrimination?

While I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, the message you've just sent to a 10-year-old is essentially, "Be grateful you got Bonnie Anne and get over it."

As a grown woman, I agree with the girl here. More female NPCs, please. We're over half the population in the real world, so it stands to reason that we should be more than 5 of the companion compliment in the Spiral.

Bonnie Anne
Sarah Steele
Lucy Sterling
Calamity Jane Canary
Nurse Quinn Medicine Chicken

That's all I've seen so far. And no, I don't count Nikita. A pink non-sentient doesn't cut it, thanks.
and mustang sally and shako neko and i dont think Nikita is a girl
Brave Kyle Quarter level 43

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Eccentric Stephani... on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
I have to say not surprise, as a player of their other game, females get the short end of the stick everytime. Example, (as far as there other game, still kind of new on pirates), halloween costumes: guys get a cool, detailed skeletion costume, and females get this genertic witch costume; bundle pack: in one the guys get the post popular arena gear, and the girls get stuck with the second best, sorry not every female wants to be a princess.. just saying. Thats just some of the differents I have seen, I play with a very good guy friend in real life, and the over the years of playing it seems there is a tad different in normal pve game play, seems it is bit harder on the guys, not much but over time u can see it. KI needs more female options when they are making stuff for their games.
I agree wholeheartedly. I farmed for quite a while getting a Halloween costume hoping or something different that what was offered for sale and was crushed to see the cool skeleton costumes the guys got and all I could get was a ugly witches costume. I mean, I was already a witch (wizard), why would I want to wear the ugly stereotyped version of a witch? It was SO unfair. I also agree with the princess thing. Yes its fun and cool to be a princess but it should not be the only option. Please hear us at KI, we ladies are quite good at role play and would really appreciate some options for our imaginations. But not to really be completely negative, some of the pirate outfits or us ladies are really beautiful, although I am not fond of the outfits that look exactly like the guys except for a few curves. We lady pirates are different from the guys and are proud of it. I don't want to look like a red light pirate but looking totally feminine is wonderful.

Ensign
Jun 10, 2011
13
657Melody on Nov 15, 2012 wrote:
maybe if KI adds griseleim(probably spelled that wrong) put a girl raven.

I know its cruel thet there are many girls playing pirate101 and very few girl companions.

I would like more girl companions.

level10
level14
level9
level10
level3
level4
I think we need more girl compainions too. abiut the grizzleheim thing, I wanted a female bear valiarkie.

Merciless Jack Silver Lv. 43 the Frozenwarrior

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
218
i know this seems like a crazy idea and im sure it wont happen because it would mean changing a lot of things, but how about choosing the gender of the companion every time one joins in? ... or something...

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2009
98
A way to have all girls in pvp (and they also do lots of damage) is to have Sarah Steele, Bonnie Anne, and the Cat Ninja.

Mustang Sally also works but she ain't as good as El Toro (in my opinion).

- Noble Mistydove

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
218
how about a female bunny? all the girls would fall in love with her!

Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
154
BrynnerOfReign on Nov 19, 2012 wrote:
Definitely female, although abilities are seriously lacking. The best thing she does is stand there and lick her hand. LOL
LOL i know that is so funny she licks her cloths! it makes her like like a cute little kitten but dot say that she might kick you in the face

Petty Officer
Dec 09, 2012
53
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 15, 2012 wrote:
Right! I forgot Mustang Sally. The gypsy I haven't seen though, she's not on any of my crews as yet.

I was thinking of it last night, running the different peoples of the spiral through my head and I realized that so far, I can't recall ever seeing a female crane, duck or goose, pig, guinea pig or sheep. Goats, yes. Cows, yes. Horses and monkeys, yes. None of the bison so far have been female.

There have been no male mice however, but then, the only mice at all so far are Sarah and Lucy. Except for the real estate agent in Wizard, I can't remember seeing any female cats, but in Pirate cats are pretty rare so far.

Hmm... I know I'm missing some.
Mustang Gypsy, also known as Nadya, the mustang gypsy, is a buccaneer only companion. If you are not a buccaneer, you do not have access to that companion.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
215
i agree there should be more girl companions

Quiet Edward DevereauxWitchdoctor lvl 50

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
The First Swashbuc... on Apr 9, 2013 wrote:
LOL i know that is so funny she licks her cloths! it makes her like like a cute little kitten but dot say that she might kick you in the face
she pretty darn worthless, i dont think there any swash in the game she can match

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
One-Eyed Jack on Dec 14, 2012 wrote:
We're definitely listening! More female companions will continue to be added to the game through expansions and other means.
I'm glad you're listening to much requests!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
Ratbeard on Feb 10, 2013 wrote:
That's one way to look at it, I guess.

On the other hand, she's a cat ninja.

As these types of companions go, I'd rather have a cool cat ninja in my party than some random Monquistador.

We don't, as a general rule, create promotion ranks for villains. What you see is what you get. So our choice is to give you cool villains as soon as the story allows (Fin, Froggo Villa, the Cat Ninja), and then get around to their promotion ranks and extra animations and custom powers when we have the workflow bandwidth to do it.

We need concept artists to figure out what the next promotion should look like, and then a modeler takes that concept art and creates the new tiers, and then an animation artist creates new animations, and then some devious rat decides if the character should have a custom power (like teleporting...) and then that concept goes back to animation and then to particle artists who create the pops and zaps and bangs, and let's not forget the sound crew... and then finally we'll get the companion combat-ready with all the level, stats, and talent data that she needs.

Even if we don't have a concrete plan to add any tiers to a villain, we would rather give you access to the villain as soon as it makes sense with the story. Our writing staff is awesome-- but we would much rather they were writing new stuff for you guys, so we have to strike while the iron is hot if we're going to smoothly integrate these companions into your crew through the quest dialog.

If the Cat Ninja had the power level of a Tier 2 or Tier 3 promotion as soon as you picked her up, then there would be nowhere for her to go if we ever decided to give you additional promotion ranks.

It might help if you looked at these villain companions and said, "Wow! This cat ninja has tons of room for improvement!"

Because that's how I see all our little creations.
Nice elaboration of how companion promotions are made, Ratbeard!

Community Leader
I was glad to see the inclusion of Gracie Conrad as a new female companion for all pirate in Marleybone. Keep up the good work, KI!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
184
I'd enjoy a redhead siren named Ariel. In a Mermaid bundle! with flounder! This just writes itself, kids!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
Talkin The Plank on May 28, 2013 wrote:
I was glad to see the inclusion of Gracie Conrad as a new female companion for all pirate in Marleybone. Keep up the good work, KI!
Gracie Conrad is an amazing companion, and I like it! I must let you know that Kingsisle won't stop there, as she is the first of the new female companions added to the game so far, so there's bound to be more of them really soon as the game updates.

Ensign
Feb 02, 2010
18
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
You know, I understood all the words you wrote there, but taken as a whole none of what you said makes any sense. How is wanting to see a fair gender balance over all (and an all-girl team personally) discrimination?

While I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, the message you've just sent to a 10-year-old is essentially, "Be grateful you got Bonnie Anne and get over it."

As a grown woman, I agree with the girl here. More female NPCs, please. We're over half the population in the real world, so it stands to reason that we should be more than 5 of the companion compliment in the Spiral.

Bonnie Anne
Sarah Steele
Lucy Sterling
Calamity Jane Canary
Nurse Quinn Medicine Chicken

That's all I've seen so far. And no, I don't count Nikita. A pink non-sentient doesn't cut it, thanks.
Ermm there's also

Mustang sally
shekuro neko (however you spell her name)
gracie conrad (even though i know this is WAY late to what your talking about :P
but those are also there.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
215
and dont forget about gracie conrad zeena jane canary