FYI My ten-year-old daughter says

AuthorMessage
Administrator
As a reminder to those on this thread, let's remember to be kind to each other while debating issues. No personal attacks please.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Women are just as fierce as men are, can be just as devastating, and just as fun to play.

I have a girl pirate, she is now a level 43 SwashBuckler, yes, I would like more powerful girl companions.

So far, Bonnie Anne and Sarah Steele are the best female companions in the game.

The ninja cat could have been awesome, but they nerfed her, why? no idea!

I guess we could not have female characters surpass or be as good as El Toro, the Monkey King, Kobe YoJimbo and Kan Po.

I think some of the female companions should be beefed up some... And some new ones added!

Just my thoughts

DarthJT

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
37
Sneaky George Quar... on Dec 30, 2012 wrote:
if you want girls so badly, you can come up with a few
If you check the last entry on page one you'll find a short list of potentially appropriate women pirate from history.

That list is not even close to complete, and only includes women from history. If you add women from fiction and literature you would have a very long list.
And since several companion names are not drawn from history or fiction (there never was a samurai name kobe yojimbo. Kobe is a type of beef from japan for those who didn't already know.) so there is a pretty much unlimited supply of potential female companions.

Ensign
Apr 26, 2010
39
Shiruku Neko didn't get nerfed, as far as I know. I have her on my lvl 50 Privateer. Unless she was nerfed in the past three days (which is possible), I don't think she has been. She is given from a side quest given in Subata Temple, called The Silk One.

Community Leader
Charles the Healer on Jan 3, 2013 wrote:
Shiruku Neko didn't get nerfed, as far as I know. I have her on my lvl 50 Privateer. Unless she was nerfed in the past three days (which is possible), I don't think she has been. She is given from a side quest given in Subata Temple, called The Silk One.
She wasn't "nerfed" but she does seem a bit weaker than she should be just because you don't get to select any epics for her or many talents compared to, say, Monkey King. Neither here nor there, but thought I'd chime in.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Charles the Healer on Jan 3, 2013 wrote:
Shiruku Neko didn't get nerfed, as far as I know. I have her on my lvl 50 Privateer. Unless she was nerfed in the past three days (which is possible), I don't think she has been. She is given from a side quest given in Subata Temple, called The Silk One.
Oh pardon me, I keep forgetting, not everyone here was in Beta.

Community Leader
Speed Switch on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
just remember that KI has alot of people to work on this stuff
They have a lot of staff that work on the game overall.
The number of staff they have is irrelevant to the discussion.

If your suggesting they should make this a priority, and drop other projects, then I think your not being realistic.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Apr 26, 2010
39
Oh. Thanks, Talkin The Plank! Shiruku Neko is a good companion, even without your choice of epics. She makes my second slot on my top row. (might make first, if not for Handsome Dan) whoops sorry, getting sidetracked from the main topic of this, well, topic. In short, I agree there should be more female npcs and companions. I'm not a girl, but things should be more fair and accurately reflective of Kingsisle's group of players. I hope I have not offended anyone (this thread seems to be rather touchy) and I hope that this not-very-original post on this thread will help something! (Idk what)

Ensign
Jun 14, 2009
12
ravenshoal on Nov 19, 2012 wrote:
Why is it that every message board has someone like "Luvas"? People post and there is always someone who jumps in and wants to slam or antagonize. Really? Is that necessary? Why take things so seriously? This is just a game and anyone who jumps at the chance to put down, nay say, argue, slam or antagonize obviously has issues. Well I say... get over yourself. If you don't have something helpful, informative or constructive then don't post. This is not a place to take out your personal issues. You may be 20, but you are acting like a spoiled child.
But aren't you doing the same thing.
It was just a question from a mother of a ten year old girl and from what I have been reading some of the posters have blown it way out of proportion. Yes, KI does need to have more female compainions and if the little girl wants an all girl team, there is nothing wrong with that, the same with a boy wanting an all guy team. This is just a game, something to have fun with family and friends. Just let it go. Sheeesh!

Ensign
Apr 10, 2009
49
I kinda agree, the only two times we see female companions are in Cool Ranch and Skull Island. (I have no problem with not seeing female companions in or from Monquista, Valencia, Marleybone or Mooshu as I know you guys are trying to keep up with historical references) When new worlds are introduce, please bring out more female companions.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Dr Zeppers on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
They have a lot of staff that work on the game overall.
The number of staff they have is irrelevant to the discussion.

If your suggesting they should make this a priority, and drop other projects, then I think your not being realistic.
oooh OFxSaint .... i TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU! and anyone else who thinks it shouldnt be a priority i' just saying that they could mke more, and as i have already said, i appreciate KI for what they have been doing(although i personlly think they've been ignoring me) and i do NOT think that should be a priority

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
37
OK, so let's see if I have the basic arguments right here.

Against, we have: "There were no chick pirates in history so there shouldn't be any in the game" (which I think is incorrect on several levels.)
"Chicks aren't important enough to make an extra effort for because that'll slow other things down."
and of course the ever popular, "But dudes rule!!"

For: "Women and girls are a significant market and a game that gets and holds their interest can't help but make more money."
"The game is based in a fantasy world that does not share earths history so that even if the 'There were no women pirates' argument was remotely accurate it would still be invalid."
"The game designers are adding things all the time, so adding female companions should not cause any significant delays in other materials being released."
And of course the extension of point 2, "In today's world women are generally believed to have rights equal to men's (there are of course a number of places where this isn't true, but most European based cultures have accepted women as equals), so they should have equal representation, or at least closer to equal representation in the game.

Did I miss anything? Because it seems like an awful lot of words have been used up for a relatively few arguments.

Ensign
Feb 13, 2009
29
Speed Switch on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
There are no companions in W101!
Actually, there are, but those are one fight only and not what I was refering to. I meant more characterwise and such, there were no obvious gender preferences.

Community Leader
zenkidkailen on Jan 7, 2013 wrote:
OK, so let's see if I have the basic arguments right here.

Against, we have: "There were no chick pirates in history so there shouldn't be any in the game" (which I think is incorrect on several levels.)
"Chicks aren't important enough to make an extra effort for because that'll slow other things down."
and of course the ever popular, "But dudes rule!!"

For: "Women and girls are a significant market and a game that gets and holds their interest can't help but make more money."
"The game is based in a fantasy world that does not share earths history so that even if the 'There were no women pirates' argument was remotely accurate it would still be invalid."
"The game designers are adding things all the time, so adding female companions should not cause any significant delays in other materials being released."
And of course the extension of point 2, "In today's world women are generally believed to have rights equal to men's (there are of course a number of places where this isn't true, but most European based cultures have accepted women as equals), so they should have equal representation, or at least closer to equal representation in the game.

Did I miss anything? Because it seems like an awful lot of words have been used up for a relatively few arguments.
Well, everyone seems to have missed the fact that KI has already acknowledged the issue, and said they would be adding more as they add additional/future content.

Ratbeard (Developer) posted... "Yes! We need more!"

One-Eyed Jack (Administrator) posted... "We're definitely listening! More female companions will continue to be added to the game through expansions and other means."

I think the rest is just chit-chat... rather moot considering KI has already acknowledged the issue.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
I would love to see more female companions as well.

Rather than historical context, take the game world context and look at how many up-and-coming young pirates (the players' characters) are female... lots. Half? Quite possibly. That would imply that in the Spiral female pirates should not be unusual.

I was fully expecting to see a female samurai cow named Moo Lan...

Incidentally I think my witchdoctor's helephant companion is female. Just something about that pink jogging outfit she's wearing. Of course, all of Brynn's companions are in pink, so who knows? I have wondered about that batacuda, but none of the crew want to get close enough to find out. Nasty temper, there.

-Michael

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
zenkidkailen on Jan 7, 2013 wrote:
OK, so let's see if I have the basic arguments right here.

Against, we have: "There were no chick pirates in history so there shouldn't be any in the game" (which I think is incorrect on several levels.)
"Chicks aren't important enough to make an extra effort for because that'll slow other things down."
and of course the ever popular, "But dudes rule!!"

For: "Women and girls are a significant market and a game that gets and holds their interest can't help but make more money."
"The game is based in a fantasy world that does not share earths history so that even if the 'There were no women pirates' argument was remotely accurate it would still be invalid."
"The game designers are adding things all the time, so adding female companions should not cause any significant delays in other materials being released."
And of course the extension of point 2, "In today's world women are generally believed to have rights equal to men's (there are of course a number of places where this isn't true, but most European based cultures have accepted women as equals), so they should have equal representation, or at least closer to equal representation in the game.

Did I miss anything? Because it seems like an awful lot of words have been used up for a relatively few arguments.
ok i'm gonna stop posting on this topic right here and now, or else i'm gonna get aggresive

Ensign
Aug 09, 2011
2
ki should add one of the girl unicorne fencer people as a companion. RAINBOW!!!

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
149
Shiruku Neko hasn't been touched at all. Regardless I do think she is an amazing companion, despite us not being able to train her.

Just a general statement. Can we use more female companions in the game? Of course, but honestly it isn't that big an issue.

Like One Eyed Jack said, no personal attacks. Especially over something as petty as this. Who cares about genders? As long as they get the job done, it's not a big deal.

We've got female companions like my favorite companion, Lucy Sterling, that are certainly powerhouses in PvE and PvP.

If you're going to insult someone because of something like this you need to take a break a calm down.

Lucas Walker Sky Commander Musketeer

Ensign
Apr 27, 2012
5
i have an idea for a female companion!

A witchdoctor rabbit, all class get in the next world (Marleybone, aquilla, darkmoor, IDK) where we need to save her familly, who was kidnapped by a evil BAT! when she tell her story, it joins to our crew!

Level 18
level 50

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
"...we need to save her familly, who was kidnapped by a evil BAT! when she tell her story, it joins to our crew!"

What, the bat? I could probably find a use for a bat with advanced kidnapping skills, at that.

Seriously, though, a female rabbit witchdoctor could be fun.

-Michael

Bosun
May 06, 2009
372
Indigo Ring on Jan 10, 2013 wrote:
I would love to see more female companions as well.

Rather than historical context, take the game world context and look at how many up-and-coming young pirates (the players' characters) are female... lots. Half? Quite possibly. That would imply that in the Spiral female pirates should not be unusual.

I was fully expecting to see a female samurai cow named Moo Lan...

Incidentally I think my witchdoctor's helephant companion is female. Just something about that pink jogging outfit she's wearing. Of course, all of Brynn's companions are in pink, so who knows? I have wondered about that batacuda, but none of the crew want to get close enough to find out. Nasty temper, there.

-Michael
I love that Moo Lan idea! Maybe down the road she can be added. That would be lovely.

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
30
My biggest head scratcher in all this is why we only get to choose human. Everything we come across is an animal of sorts for the most part besides rescuing the girl for her horse husband. I would've loved to be a girl mouse corsair or guinea pig instead :(.

Ensign
Nov 05, 2012
46
Lucas Walker on Jan 27, 2013 wrote:
Shiruku Neko hasn't been touched at all. Regardless I do think she is an amazing companion, despite us not being able to train her.

Just a general statement. Can we use more female companions in the game? Of course, but honestly it isn't that big an issue.

Like One Eyed Jack said, no personal attacks. Especially over something as petty as this. Who cares about genders? As long as they get the job done, it's not a big deal.

We've got female companions like my favorite companion, Lucy Sterling, that are certainly powerhouses in PvE and PvP.

If you're going to insult someone because of something like this you need to take a break a calm down.

Lucas Walker Sky Commander Musketeer
Hey, that's my favorite companion too! long live Lucy Sterling

Stormy Wolf Gordon level 50

Ensign
Jun 11, 2011
9
Thomas Stormweaver on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
that there aren't enough female companions, either who join on their own or who you can purchase. She would like to have like 12 females so she can expect an all female lineup during her fights.

She likes buccaneers and swashbucklers and is about half-way through Cool Ranch.
If anything, I'd like to see some cat and maybe some more dog companions being able for you to take along the main quest line-if that made any sense. I mean companions that you find along the main quest line. I like Lucky Jack, but if there was a cat companion, or maybe even a raven companion like "Talkin the Plank" said before.

Ensign
May 25, 2012
2
Magistermundisum on Nov 17, 2012 wrote:
Is the Cat Ninja male or female?
wow, of course its a female. Lol
Lvl. 50 Charming Daniel Strong
Lvl. 22 Gruesome Daniel
(more, but those are my mains)