FYI My ten-year-old daughter says

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
206
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 18, 2012 wrote:
I've never seen the cat ninja in the game, but if the picture of Shiruku Neko is anything to go by, she looks female.
Shiruku is in fact female. You can tell by her look and voice (provided to actually listen to the voice-overs that is).

Petty Officer
Dec 16, 2009
60
Is my Batacuda companion (not pet) a male or female?

Friendly Justin Everhart - Level 17

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
210
Magistermundisum on Nov 17, 2012 wrote:
Is the Cat Ninja male or female?
Definitely female, although abilities are seriously lacking. The best thing she does is stand there and lick her hand. LOL

Ensign
Oct 23, 2012
14
Why is it that every message board has someone like "Luvas"? People post and there is always someone who jumps in and wants to slam or antagonize. Really? Is that necessary? Why take things so seriously? This is just a game and anyone who jumps at the chance to put down, nay say, argue, slam or antagonize obviously has issues. Well I say... get over yourself. If you don't have something helpful, informative or constructive then don't post. This is not a place to take out your personal issues. You may be 20, but you are acting like a spoiled child.

Community Leader
SchicksalBestimmun... on Nov 19, 2012 wrote:
Is my Batacuda companion (not pet) a male or female?

Friendly Justin Everhart - Level 17
It's not specified for most of the animal companions and we don't get to name them. So, I guess it's up to you to decide for your own crew.

Ensign
Oct 16, 2012
23
I'm a girl,and i'm okay with alot of male companions,though it WOULD be a bit cool if we had more female companions.

Girl power

Ensign
Sep 12, 2009
31
Let me tell you something.

In the world of pirates... There hasnt been much girls in pirate crews. Its mostly boys.
So, the admins cannot add too much girls. that would just ruin it.

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
37
jordan35884 on Nov 22, 2012 wrote:
Let me tell you something.

In the world of pirates... There hasnt been much girls in pirate crews. Its mostly boys.
So, the admins cannot add too much girls. that would just ruin it.
There have probably been a lot more then you think, Anne Bonney and Mary read were both on the same pirate ship. there is a wiki list of known women in piracy that goes clear back to 600 bc.
And through out history there have been women who posed as men to join the various military services of their country.
So there could be thousands and thousands of women pirates who just never had their cover blown.

As for ruining the game, I don't see how it would ruin anything. Girls playing the game isn't ruining anything, so how could girls on crews ruin anything?

Ensign
Jun 04, 2008
7
I'm not sure why people keep bringing up the "in real life" argument about the male-female ratio of pirates. This is purely a fictional setting which can have any ratio the developers please. It doesn't have to align with any sort of history. You don't see many flying whales, talking cats and dogs, undead or sentient clockworks in real life, either. So, why not more female pirates?

Lieutenant
Feb 01, 2011
110
Lol, people are really trying to connect this game to the 'real' world of pirates to justify lack of females?

Uh, there weren't a lot of pig, monkey, cow, shark or chicken pirates 'historically' either! Ships didn't fly 'historically', nor did they jump through storms to different worlds floating in space. Guns didn't shoot electricity, there were no magical healing yum fruit...heck, there was no magic. I could go on and on, but I think (or at least hope) you get the point.

Trust me...a purely realistic pirate game wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
Hmm, Galliard1.

Everything fantasy is based on some kind of truth or fact, or or story that was based on some kind of truth or fact. Even if it were pure fantasy, there will always be something that ties something on some kind of truth.

That is just how the human mind works. So by going back and comparing it to history simply demonstrates how frivolous this whole "lack of females" post is and therefore becomes a perfect justification. That is just how it is, and there I can comfortably use the expression which I normally hate "It is how it is."

It would be like me commenting on the lack of males if the whole situation were the other way around. In which case, I can guarrantee that there would have been at least one response that would justify that based on historical information.

Captain
May 27, 2009
530
I don't think asking for gender equality among our companion crew is out of line --especially those that are for purchase in the Crown Shop, if certain players feel uncomfortable with female companions, they can opt not to purchase those.

Community Leader
Shiningfantasia on Nov 23, 2012 wrote:
Hmm, Galliard1.

Everything fantasy is based on some kind of truth or fact, or or story that was based on some kind of truth or fact. Even if it were pure fantasy, there will always be something that ties something on some kind of truth.

That is just how the human mind works. So by going back and comparing it to history simply demonstrates how frivolous this whole "lack of females" post is and therefore becomes a perfect justification. That is just how it is, and there I can comfortably use the expression which I normally hate "It is how it is."

It would be like me commenting on the lack of males if the whole situation were the other way around. In which case, I can guarrantee that there would have been at least one response that would justify that based on historical information.
I dispute that.

First, human truth and historical fact are not the same thing. Human truth is about human nature, while historical fact is about what's happened during the course our history as a species. Human nature changes as we change and history generally* reflects that.

As for your assertion that this discussion is (and, by extension, your implication those that seek gender balance are) frivolous, I say that is complete and utter nonsense. You are using spurious "history" to defend what is, in the 21st century, a completely indefensible position. But this isn't history. No one is trying to recast the Trafalgar action in their own image.

Your other assertion that it would be just as ridiculous for you to complain about a lack of males in a reversed situation, is laughable. Either you're arguing from historical fact or you're arguing from a hypothetical position. You can't have it both ways.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but fantasy or history, this game exists in the here and now. In the here and now, girls and women make up a significant percentage of this game's customer base. (I'd go so far as to say at least half.) Those two facts alone make it necessary (not to mention good business policy) to reflect said customer base in one's product.

*Historical accounts are often wildly inaccurate based on the bias of the historians of the time. It's only human nature, after all.

Lieutenant
Feb 01, 2011
110
I was going to respond, but Mythspent Youth said it better than I could.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 24, 2012 wrote:
I dispute that.

First, human truth and historical fact are not the same thing. Human truth is about human nature, while historical fact is about what's happened during the course our history as a species. Human nature changes as we change and history generally* reflects that.

As for your assertion that this discussion is (and, by extension, your implication those that seek gender balance are) frivolous, I say that is complete and utter nonsense. You are using spurious "history" to defend what is, in the 21st century, a completely indefensible position. But this isn't history. No one is trying to recast the Trafalgar action in their own image.

Your other assertion that it would be just as ridiculous for you to complain about a lack of males in a reversed situation, is laughable. Either you're arguing from historical fact or you're arguing from a hypothetical position. You can't have it both ways.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but fantasy or history, this game exists in the here and now. In the here and now, girls and women make up a significant percentage of this game's customer base. (I'd go so far as to say at least half.) Those two facts alone make it necessary (not to mention good business policy) to reflect said customer base in one's product.

*Historical accounts are often wildly inaccurate based on the bias of the historians of the time. It's only human nature, after all.
I say that is splitting hairs. In a more condensed nutshell, the developers made this game that way, and I highly doubt they were being genderists. If they made the game that way, then that is how the game is. That is just how it is.

As for human nature and historical fact, I am not sure the point came across that I was trying to make. It is human nature to BASE fantasy/fiction on something that has some kind of truth to it, in one way or another, because they is how the human mind tends to work.

Ok, let us say the developers did NOT make the majority of characters male because of the past historical timeline. That still does not change the fact that players generating an issue about the developer's intentional or unintentional male dominated pirate game is ... Well, frivolous.

But it is a perfectly legal opinion, and a good subject nontheless, and I simply participated in this little discussion by adding my thoughts, that is all. I am not trying to lecture, teach, educate, convert, or make players see it all my way. I simply said what I thought about it.

Community Leader
"If they made the game that way, then that is how the game is. That is just how it is."

This seems to be the main point of your argument, but if that were the case and if KI felt that way then the threads, "Commonly Requested Additions to Pirate101" and "Do you have an idea?" (created by KI themselves) would not exist.

No one is trying to rewrite, say, Treasure Island to add more female characters (or, for that matter, anthropomorphised barnyard animal characters). Treasure Island is a book and while it lives and breaths in the minds of its readers, it doesn't change on the page.

But Pirate101 isn't a book. It's an MMORPG, by it's very nature a living, evolving thing. Unlike books, or historical accounts, MMOs are an ongoing collaborative endeavor between game company and players. This isn't just the house that KI built, it's the house that we are building with them. It's a mutually beneficial alliance, they give us a game world and we help shape it so that others might want to play here too.

Look, I'm not trying to lecture either, but I want you to think about what you're arguing for. Gender is a hot-button issue and a lot of people just don't get what the fuss is about. I understand that. But for a moment, think about how your argument might stand if this were any other issue. If those of us that want to see ourselves more fully represented were arguing from a racial or religious standpoint, (if that were a factor in-game) would you call the argument frivolous then? Seriously?

Community Leader
You know, I think I've said all that I can in this thread. Please, continue to discuss and even disagree, but for me to say anymore would just be arguing down a rabbit hole.

Pax.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
Crazy talk lol. I would not call it arguing. I'd call this a friendly little banter and an interesting discussion. If it came down a rabbit hole, that simply means we are really having fun. Unlike some other 'debate' banter, we are not trying to look down on each other.

Unless it involved discrimination, I honestly would not care about what religion/political values were involved.

I still wished Disney would remake book 1 of the narnia chronicles into a movie ... that would have been so awesome. I bet that is why they never did, because of just that. Religion. Unfortunately, the human race seems to want to chop each others' heads off because of thoughts and beliefs.

The Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe movie made me read the entire audio book line of the Chronicles of Narnia. That is how I finally learned how the witch became to be, how Narnia came to be. And I loved it!

Supposedly, back in 2008, it was said that "The Silver Chair" would come out sometime in 2012, but I have yet to see the previews of it. Depending on how Disney creates the film, that movie could be absolutely epic!

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
16
It seems to me that Swashbucklers end up with more female companions. You might want to suggest that your daughter make one of those. My Swashbuckler often ends up with an all girl team in fights.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2012
2
I agree, KI, when you get the chance, add more female companions please!

Perhaps a cat girl swashbuckler like the captain in Treasure Planet?

Ensign
Oct 11, 2012
22
i agree we really do need more girl companions cause really boys are even with girls nobody is better than someone ( not saying i am a girl ) but yea we should have half girl companions and half boy ones

lvl twenty five

lvl six lvl elevenlvl two lvl ten

Ensign
Feb 18, 2011
25
okay,my lvl 14 swashbuckler only has ,like,2 girl companions.Bonnie Anne and Sarah Steele.I am not going to take sides.I am going to give you my thoughts.
so,I am a girl.more girl companions would be nice.most pirates in books,movies,and other things are boys.But,
I disagree with mackanzy2002. Also,this is kinda more of a discussion then a fight.Hey,Maybe we could have a companion contest!Players could draw and name there own companion(s)!Maybe that's the answer!Then we would have some new companions and more girl companions!Whether or not that stops the discussion,it's a pretty good idea!right?

-lilahprincess024

Ensign
Dec 08, 2011
4
Yes yes yes -- Definitely need more female characters and companions!

Ensign
Feb 18, 2011
25
DaniJH on Dec 1, 2012 wrote:
Yes yes yes -- Definitely need more female characters and companions!
more girl characters-disagree

more girl companions-agree!

I think we have enough girl characters
-lvl 14

Ensign
Feb 18, 2011
25
amareyn on Nov 22, 2012 wrote:
I'm not sure why people keep bringing up the "in real life" argument about the male-female ratio of pirates. This is purely a fictional setting which can have any ratio the developers please. It doesn't have to align with any sort of history. You don't see many flying whales, talking cats and dogs, undead or sentient clockworks in real life, either. So, why not more female pirates?
I agree