Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirates Helping Pirates, (PHP)

AuthorMessage
First Mate
May 01, 2012
The Message Board Search feature can be a little tricky when trying to search for a specific author and/or responder. Not only do you have to put in the author's name (in Search by Author), make sure you check the Include Message Body box. This will get not only the threads he/she authored, it will also get you the responses they made to any threads.

You can also search for specific Key Words. Make sure you check the Include Message Body box unless you are certain the Key Word will be in the header for the message you are trying to find.

Now you only get 2 pages of data, so I recommend selecting a specific time period in Search Posts by Time (if you know the time period), a specific Message Board (like A Pirate's Life or any of the others), and Order by Message Date from newest to oldest (if you want to see the most recent posts first),

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Jan 26, 2014 wrote:
The Message Board Search feature can be a little tricky when trying to search for a specific author and/or responder. Not only do you have to put in the author's name (in Search by Author), make sure you check the Include Message Body box. This will get not only the threads he/she authored, it will also get you the responses they made to any threads.

You can also search for specific Key Words. Make sure you check the Include Message Body box unless you are certain the Key Word will be in the header for the message you are trying to find.

Now you only get 2 pages of data, so I recommend selecting a specific time period in Search Posts by Time (if you know the time period), a specific Message Board (like A Pirate's Life or any of the others), and Order by Message Date from newest to oldest (if you want to see the most recent posts first),
Thanks for the tip SlightlyMadWizard- especially about the searching in a specific time period. I hadn't thought about that when I've searched for a fellow boarder's threads/posts. I would get the 2 pages and I knew that they had way more posts than that.

So, thank you very much for the tip- I will give a try at this very instant.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
BATTLE MOVEMENT TIP- Enemies with Hold the Line

This tip is on how to advance and/or attack an enemy with the epic talent Hold the Line (multiple ranks). This tip is geared to a battle crew with all melee fighters. If you notice an enemy has say, Hold the Line-rank 3- it's important to know what this means and how to position your crew for attack. For those that don't know, the epic talent Hold the Line halts the attackers advancement when the attacker enters a tile that is adjacent to the enemy. (Note-it also reduces attacker's dodge). Rank 3 means that this epic talent can be triggered 3 times to 3 different crew members, in a given round.

It is important to know this so that you can plan your melee fighters advancement accordingly. You do not want to send your first crew member (your pirate) to attack on the opposite side of the enemy with the arrow traveling through multiple squares adjacent to that enemy. Your pirate will be stopped at the first tile adjacent to the enemy that the pirate passes into. If you had selected your next crew member to attack in that same tile (that your pirate got stopped in), it will not be able to move to that tile and will forfeit it's turn.

That is why it is wise to set your crew up to form a 'crew pathway or bridge'- as I like to call it. This works great if your entire crew is on the same side of the enemy with only one route to get around to surround and attack the targeted enemy. You can select your crew in order to approach the enemy going through the closest adjacent tile to that enemy. Your pirate moves first and will attack after being halted by the enemy's Hold the Line, then the next companion will follow the same path, passing through your pirate's tile to next available tile, adjacent to enemy. Your next companion can then pass through the two of them, settling into the next tile surrounded the enemy. Same with last companion (if applicable). By doing this you are able to surround and attack the enemy without any crew member's turn being forfeited by the Hold the Line talent causing a previous crew member to stop short, in a tile another member was assigned to.

Of course every battle scenario is different, but when there is a limited approach or path to surround and attack an enemy with Hold the Line, use this tip to get the most out of your melee crew's attacks.

I also almost forgot to add that you are of course at the mercy of the dreaded predetermined blue path arrow, so that will influence available routes. But when able to, use the above tips to send your melee crew to surround an enemy with Hold the LIne.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:

This tip is on how to advance and/or attack an enemy with the epic talent Hold the Line (multiple ranks). This tip is geared to a battle crew with all melee fighters. If you notice an enemy has say, Hold the Line-rank 3- it's important to know what this means and how to position your crew for attack. For those that don't know, the epic talent Hold the Line halts the attackers advancement when the attacker enters a tile that is adjacent to the enemy. (Note-it also reduces attacker's dodge). Rank 3 means that this epic talent can be triggered 3 times to 3 different crew members, in a given round.

It is important to know this so that you can plan your melee fighters advancement accordingly. You do not want to send your first crew member (your pirate) to attack on the opposite side of the enemy with the arrow traveling through multiple squares adjacent to that enemy. Your pirate will be stopped at the first tile adjacent to the enemy that the pirate passes into. If you had selected your next crew member to attack in that same tile (that your pirate got stopped in), it will not be able to move to that tile and will forfeit it's turn.

That is why it is wise to set your crew up to form a 'crew pathway or bridge'- as I like to call it. This works great if your entire crew is on the same side of the enemy with only one route to get around to surround and attack the targeted enemy. You can select your crew in order to approach the enemy going through the closest adjacent tile to that enemy. Your pirate moves first and will attack after being halted by the enemy's Hold the Line, then the next companion will follow the same path, passing through your pirate's tile to next available tile, adjacent to enemy. Your next companion can then pass through the two of them, settling into the next tile surrounded the enemy. Same with last companion (if applicable). By doing this you are able to surround and attack the enemy without any crew member's turn being forfeited by the Hold the Line talent causing a previous crew member to stop short, in a tile another member was assigned to.

Of course every battle scenario is different, but when there is a limited approach or path to surround and attack an enemy with Hold the Line, use this tip to get the most out of your melee crew's attacks.

I also almost forgot to add that you are of course at the mercy of the dreaded predetermined blue path arrow, so that will influence available routes. But when able to, use the above tips to send your melee crew to surround an enemy with Hold the LIne.
Wonderful tip. I am one of those that learned that the hard way. I would get all geared and buffed up to whomp on several baddies at once and was left with just flailing around on only one. I have also had had companions forfeit their turns to their detriment. Giving up a chance to do damage can cause serious consequences in Marleybone and Aquila.
Yup, ya gotta slow down and actually LOOK at the nature of the beasts you are going to attack and then learn to think FAST on your feet. Yea it's tough but it sure makes us better players.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I have a tip for you Witchdoctors. When using Charm on an enemy, even though the game lets you target someone for a hit even after a charm hit has been ordered for them, don't give in to the temptation. Once the charm is placed, any hits that have been ordered on that guy are instantly forfeited and those companions will pass on their turn.
The first time I used Charm, after I told the game to schedule the hit, I thought that since it still let me target that enemy that I could do it. Nope, its the 'Charmers Folly'. Once those Cupid hearts float all crew members see them as one of their own.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012

To add to that, never use an attack like Dance of Steel, Gambit or Steel or the flower poison attacks. (Names fail me now.)

If you run up to enemies and try to get in the center and get held up by someone with Hold the Line you'll begin the attack where you have been stopped, thus not being able to attack as many enemies as you want to. Try to take a look at enemies powers before running up to them. It will save you a world of trouble. (I should commit this to memory myself. At least I bit the bullet and want nautical XP farming. I'm now a Commodore! And not completely underleveled in terms of Nautical Level. )

First Mate
May 01, 2012

Great tips Valkoor.

In addition, when you know you are going to be stopped by an enemy with Hold the Line talent, why not attack the guy who stopped you or another enemy adjacent to the square you were stopped on? That way, even though you are stopped, you will still do some damage. The only reason you might not want to do this that I can think of is if the enemy you would attack has Vengeance Strike and you are low on Hit Points.

That last reason also applies when you will be attacking an enemy who can hit you back. For example, when my Bonnie Anne is low on Hit Points and I can't heal her immediately, I don't attack any shooters with her. I wait for them to attack her so she still gets in her shot with return fire. This way, less damage is done to her since she is only hit once during the turn and not twice or three times and, hopefully in the upcoming turn, I will get a heal and be able to heal her.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
Wonderful tip. I am one of those that learned that the hard way. I would get all geared and buffed up to whomp on several baddies at once and was left with just flailing around on only one. I have also had had companions forfeit their turns to their detriment. Giving up a chance to do damage can cause serious consequences in Marleybone and Aquila.
Yup, ya gotta slow down and actually LOOK at the nature of the beasts you are going to attack and then learn to think FAST on your feet. Yea it's tough but it sure makes us better players.
You are right about that Chrissy, there are so many enemies when you get to those two worlds that have multiple ranks of Hold the Line- especially in Aquila. Seems like almost every enemy melee fighter in Aquila has multiple ranks of that epic talent. I think all of these enemies have rank2- Ophidian Warriors, Eagle Shades, Centurions, Cyclops, Harpies and Laestrygonean Warriors. Plus there are many with rank1 and this doesn't even take into account all the bosses with at least rank2. Needless to say, lots of line holding and advancement halting going on. And in many cases as you pointed out, you can't afford for even one crew member to forfeit their turn.

Like you said it is important to not only look at what epic talents they have but also the rank. Many times I just saw an enemy with Hold the Line and didn't pay much attention to the rank. Then I was a bit baffled at why 2 or 3 of my crew members were halted in the same turn by the same enemy. That little number next to the talent is almost as important as knowing the talent itself. But, as you also noted- paying attention and planning a proper strategy will surely lead to greater success and victory in battle.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
I have a tip for you Witchdoctors. When using Charm on an enemy, even though the game lets you target someone for a hit even after a charm hit has been ordered for them, don't give in to the temptation. Once the charm is placed, any hits that have been ordered on that guy are instantly forfeited and those companions will pass on their turn.
The first time I used Charm, after I told the game to schedule the hit, I thought that since it still let me target that enemy that I could do it. Nope, its the 'Charmers Folly'. Once those Cupid hearts float all crew members see them as one of their own.
That is a nice tip to know Chrissy. You would think that once you selected to Charm an enemy, the game wouldn't even allow the rest of your companions to target an attack on that same companion. When I get started on my Witchdoctor pirate, I will be sure to make a mental note of this. Thanks for the heads up.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Scarlet Freeman on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
To add to that, never use an attack like Dance of Steel, Gambit or Steel or the flower poison attacks. (Names fail me now.)

If you run up to enemies and try to get in the center and get held up by someone with Hold the Line you'll begin the attack where you have been stopped, thus not being able to attack as many enemies as you want to. Try to take a look at enemies powers before running up to them. It will save you a world of trouble. (I should commit this to memory myself. At least I bit the bullet and want nautical XP farming. I'm now a Commodore! And not completely underleveled in terms of Nautical Level. )
Great addition Scarlet.

You are absolutely right in saying that what was thought to be a well planned attack on multiple enemies with Dance of Steel, Assassin's Mist or Assassin's Gloom, can be foiled by just one enemy with the epic talent Hold the Line. I had an instance in battle in Aquila where I was excited beyond belief because I was about to use Assassin's Gloom on 7 enemies at once. I was licking my chops at the thought of seeing all of those poisonous plants rise from the ground- I was picturing something like straight out of Little Shop of Horrors. But the route I chose made me pass right next to one of the enemies who, you guessed it, had that blasted Hold the Line. Needless to say, I was a bit dejected when only one measly plant came out to play.

That is why I now always try to incorporate using poisoning powers on my last turn of hiding- after buffing on the other turns. Unless of course I have a high damage dealing power such as Assassin's Strike, Back Stab or Sneak Attack available to further multiply the damage dealt out.

Great job by the way, on rising to the Nautical rank of Commodore. Give yourself a pat on the back for following your own great advice. And thanks for the additional input and tip too.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Jan 30, 2014 wrote:
Great tips Valkoor.

In addition, when you know you are going to be stopped by an enemy with Hold the Line talent, why not attack the guy who stopped you or another enemy adjacent to the square you were stopped on? That way, even though you are stopped, you will still do some damage. The only reason you might not want to do this that I can think of is if the enemy you would attack has Vengeance Strike and you are low on Hit Points.

That last reason also applies when you will be attacking an enemy who can hit you back. For example, when my Bonnie Anne is low on Hit Points and I can't heal her immediately, I don't attack any shooters with her. I wait for them to attack her so she still gets in her shot with return fire. This way, less damage is done to her since she is only hit once during the turn and not twice or three times and, hopefully in the upcoming turn, I will get a heal and be able to heal her.
So very true SlightlyMadWizard. I was intending to actually make it clear in the tip that you should actually be selecting each crew member to attack the enemy in that same turn, as you plan your crew's advancement pathway to surround the enemy. So you are 100% correct in noting to not let the advancement plan go to waste by not attacking as you move and get halted.

Also good point about being cautious if the enemy has Vengeance Strike, although if you are attacking with a high powered Swashbuckler with really high dodge, you may want to trigger that Vengeance Strike in the very good chance of your Swashbuckler blocking the Vengeance Strike and delivering their most powerful attack- Riposte. But it is wise, like you said, to use caution if your pirate or companions are nearly out of health. Same, with the Bonnie tip- be careful when low on health.

I guess you can say that the Hold the Line tip was a general battle tip, as the particular battle scenario will depict what tactics you employ. After all, I have yet to see any two battles that play out the exact same way. So using whatever strategy that best suits the battle conditions is always a wise choice to make.

Thanks once again for the added tips and info!

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
how to find your posts
first you make a post
second you go to updated topics
third you go to read new topics for new topics
how to solo the game
first you
go do side quests and main quest
second train your companions to your level and promote them train
have fun in the spiral

First Mate
May 01, 2012
If you are using the Skull Button in the lower left to get to Skull Island, you should notice that it changes to a Sword when you arrive at Skull Island. This Sword Button will allow you to return to where you came from as long as you stay in Avery's Court, most of Skull Island, or Skull Island docks. Don't enter any areas continuing the story except the shops, Avery's Office, and, I think, the Water Mole Village as this will change the Sword back to the Skull. Then you have to get back to where you were the hard way (ship or transportalator) unless you have a friend back where you were that you could teleport to. If you do have a friend back there, ask them to stay there until you come back to them - DON'T say something like brb (be right back) since that could mean you are afk (away from keyboard) or something else. This lets them know that you will be back and not to continue the story until you get back. Just don't be gone too long or they might go on without you!

First Mate
May 01, 2012
Be warned, if you have your Backpack, Bank, and/or Shared Bank arranged a certain way, the game can, without warning, rearrange it. This has happened sporadically to me in all 3 locations. I know this because I arrange my Bank with my Pirate's special equipment first (except powers) and regular equipment second. Within those two, I sort by level. I use my Bank for my Pirate's special equipment with powers sorted by level. The main thing I store in my Shared Bank is some of the Naval equipment and weapons that I have.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
Don't teleport to a person without asking. If that person is in a battle, you will probably be added to the battle and you'd better be able to keep up your end of the fighting if you want to remain “Friends” with that person. A few days ago a level 15 Pirate teleported into a fight I was having in Marleybone. Needless to say, he/she got killed fairly quickly. He/she then asked for healing. Now, I am not about to waste a Heal on them when they will only get killed in the next attack. Also, more enemies were added to the fight when he/she teleported in which made the fight much harder and, I felt, it was already hard enough. Needless to say this person is not on my Friend List any longer.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
krokotopia pirate on Jan 30, 2014 wrote:
how to find your posts
first you make a post
how to solo the game
first you
have fun in the spiral
Thank you for the added tips krokotopia pirate!

Good tips on how to find your posts, I just wanted to point out that you can also click on the Green Watch Topic button as you are typing your post, before hitting submit, and/or whenever you are reading a thread topic that you want to keep track of. Thanks to the wonderful crew at Kingsisle, we can now watch 50 topics- so finding your post in a given topic/thread is that much easier. Just click the green check mark/Watched Topics Link and...voila, all the threads/topics (well at least 50 of them) that you were so fond of, magically appear before your eyes. In addition you can also use the Magnifying Glass/Search link and enter your username (or other poster's) and find 2 pages of topics/threads/posts of yours or whomever you searched. Using SlightlyMadWizard's tip several posts above, about applying different search variables can really help you narrow down what you may be searching for.

Also, in regards to how to solo the game- that tip you gave pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

Thank you very much for the input, and Smooth Sailing to you in the Spiral as well.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
Don't teleport to a person without asking. If that person is in a battle, you will probably be added to the battle and you'd better be able to keep up your end of the fighting if you want to remain “Friends” with that person. A few days ago a level 15 Pirate teleported into a fight I was having in Marleybone. Needless to say, he/she got killed fairly quickly. He/she then asked for healing. Now, I am not about to waste a Heal on them when they will only get killed in the next attack. Also, more enemies were added to the fight when he/she teleported in which made the fight much harder and, I felt, it was already hard enough. Needless to say this person is not on my Friend List any longer.
Great tips once again SlightlyMadWizard!

I especially like this one because I too have been faced with additional, tough enemies when a much lower level pirate teleported to me without asking or me knowing. I was engaged in battle in Marleybone (in one of the warehouses-I think) as well and a level 12 or so popped in adding 2 more enemies. Then a friend on his list decided to join him, in which 1 more enemy joined the battle. As with your experience, their pirates were done after one strike from the enemy. Then came the multiple, I need healing chats which, also like you- I thought there is no way I can use my healing on them. I was about to wrap up an intense battle with a victory and was now faced with 3 extra, full health enemies when my crew had already sustained a good bit of damage. Luckily, I had all of my healing powers left and received a number of critical strikes- so I was barely able to squeak out a victory.

Moral of the story for all those reading- just send out a polite menu or text chat asking someone if you can teleport to them. If they are in elbows deep against some tough enemies, it will put a big time strain on them if your pirate and crew are well below them in level. Most pirates that I have come across will politely ask you to wait a few minutes so they can wrap up the battle and then will welcome your teleporting. Although once teleporting to them, you should still ask to join them in any future battles.

Also, great tip about having a friend 'hold or mark your spot' for you if you have to teleport elsewhere. If you have a friend kind enough to do so, it is a great way to get back to where you were without worrying about wandering outside of the 'return to previous location zone'.

Great tips and wise advise SlightlyMadWizard, thanks again for sharing!

Ensign
Jul 21, 2013
MOVEMENT TIP...

If your hands get tired of pressing keys, you know that you can auto-run, as stated earlier in this thread, but did you know that if you hold down the right click, you can move the mouse to change the direction your pirate is facing? Also, if you hold down the left click as well as the right click, your pirate will also start running!

Also, you can use this for another thing. This isn't really a tip, it's just a neat thing to do.(and it can also help you to get some better screen shots.)

If you back up towards the camera without holding the left or right mouse buttons, the camera will go in front of your pirate, and then you can hold down the right click, and the camera will still stay in front of your pirate, and you can move around in first person!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
krokotopia pirate on Jan 30, 2014 wrote:
how to find your posts
first you make a post
how to solo the game
first you
have fun in the spiral
Welcome to PHP Rebecca. I have been waiting for you to start posting here. You are always telling me all your great tips and you tell me you have so many more and that you just love helping others. This thread has you written all over it. Please bloom to your fullest here. Your battle experience is valuable and we will be all the wiser for it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
I forgot to add this tip and thought that it may help you with the problem you had.

I saw your other thread/post about this very same thing and added it there as well. I figured it would be a good tip for others out there as well, who occasionally want some privacy and have experienced the same issue that you and I have.

TELEPORTING TIP- Preventing Un-Asked Teleports From Friends

One option that can help prevent this from happening is by changing your in game Privacy Options. To do this go to the Options (gear) Tab at the top of the page. When the game options tab comes up, select the one that resembles a key- Privacy Options. Under this tab you can toggle on/off whether you wish to receive friend teleports. You can also toggle whether you want to receive new friend requests, group invites and whether you home is limited to friends or if any and all pirates out there have access to your home.

With the Receive Friend Teleports set to off, none of your friends can teleport to you. They still know that you are logged on/playing and can view you on their Friend's List, so they can still send you a text or menu chat asking if they can teleport to you or you can ask them if they want to teleport to you. So, the friends that you do want to teleport can, by you switching the Receive Friend Teleport option to Allow. Once they teleport to you, you can switch it back to Block to prevent unwanted and unasked teleports from occurring.

This may seem like a pain for some of your good friends that you actually want to teleport to you, but it only takes a chat from them (or you) to let you know that they want to teleport to you and within mere seconds you can toggle the Receive Friend Teleports option on and then back off. It will prevent the even bigger pain of what happened to you in your post from happening again. This is one way you can be in control of which friends you want to allow to teleport to you and which ones you wish to block. Geesh, that sounds awfully rude but it is just in regards to the problem that is being discussed.

So please remember, this is not about being rude or necessarily choosing or secluding certain friends. This tip is merely about preventing an uninvited low level friend from teleporting when you are fighting high level enemies. Actually, the same can beside about a lower level not wanting a higher level to teleport uninvited and steel their thunder by wiping the board clean of enemies. Like Chrissy said, many times when you are lower level you want that sense of accomplishment and to feel the thrill of victory. Sometimes you don't want someone else to come in unannounced and take that away from you.

Just be careful if you choose to Block teleports as a low level, because if you are taking a whooping in battle and need assistance from a higher level (or any level friend), you will not be able to change the Option back in the middle of the battle.

Hope this helps!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I have a tip about something that I just found out about.
I have a young swashbuckler in Tumbleweed and for the first time I tried to stack my poison attacks. To my shock they will not stack. It just makes a weird noise then essentially passes your turn. This makes it really hard if you are fighting with another swashbuckler as you must now really pay attention to who got poisoned by who. If you try to use yours after the other Swashy has already poisoned, it REALLY limits what you can do. As this is a new revelation for me I am going to try to do a poison when only some of my targets have already been poisoned and some are not. I want to see what happens. I just learned the hard way that if I poison then have my Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah make the same move on the same targets, his play forfeits. I thought it was a glitch until I tried to poison a group of trapped baddies that still had poison on them and I learned my lesson well. Swashbucklers be warned, having all that poison at your disposal isn't as powerful as you think.
I do hope that maybe when Ratbeard has time he can explain to us why it is this way or maybe they can allow us to stack them. But I am more than willing to bow to whatever reasons they have for limiting us this way although I really hope the reasons are good ones so this particular yucky medicine can be swallowed with minimal twisted faces.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
This is a tip mostly for Privateers but it is useful for anyone who is going to use a buff. This works for any buff but I am specifically focusing this towards critical boosts.
Don't use a critical buff right away. You and most of your companions have at least a couple of guaranteed critical strikes in your arsenal of hits so you know that your first few hits WILL hit as aimed and will probably go critical. If you boost critical right away you are wasting the first few turns because they would have gone critical anyway.
Wait until those hits are used up and by all means wait until the enemy is almost upon you. Perhaps remembering that old adage of (Wait until you can see the whites of their eyes!) to help you to time it better. Making that critical boost a bit later means that it will still be helping you out later in the fight when you are using your lower hits and those critical boosts will make all the difference and make a lower hit really do some serious damage.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ninja pirate on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
MOVEMENT TIP...

If your hands get tired of pressing keys, you know that you can auto-run, as stated earlier in this thread, but did you know that if you hold down the right click, you can move the mouse to change the direction your pirate is facing? Also, if you hold down the left click as well as the right click, your pirate will also start running!

Also, you can use this for another thing. This isn't really a tip, it's just a neat thing to do.(and it can also help you to get some better screen shots.)

If you back up towards the camera without holding the left or right mouse buttons, the camera will go in front of your pirate, and then you can hold down the right click, and the camera will still stay in front of your pirate, and you can move around in first person!
OH Yes great tips. With me being a known shutterbug I was THRILLED when someone showed me that "Put the camera in front of you" tip. You can get some amazing closeups and great scenic shots without your pirate standing in the way. This is very useful if you want to get a few shots of your friends and you won't have to worry about where to put your pirate to get them in the center of the shot. Just get behind the camera and then use the arrows to swing the camera around to just the right angle AND you can use your scroll wheel to zoom in and out too. Oh man, Ninja Pirate, You may have started me on a roll that can't be stopped, lol. Fantastic tip. This was my most influential screenshot tip I ever learned with the exception of using Control-G to clear all the graphics from the screen to get a clean shot. I am positive that you have just made many an upcoming shutterbug's day.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
ninja pirate on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
MOVEMENT TIP...

That's a great bit of advice ninja pirate. Using the mouse to auto-run is something I was not aware of and it seems like a great tip. Especially for someone like me that at times has a baby in one arm who's watching my pirate run rampant all over the spiral- what can I say they are already living the pirate's life.

As for the camera trick, that is a great tip for getting some great screenshots. I just recently began my ventures in pirate101 photography and have been using lots of the screenshots to update the pirate101 wiki on central. The tip that you speak of comes in so handy for getting some really good up close and isolated pictures of companions, gear, enemies and beautiful landscape. I use it a lot when trying to get good gear pictures to upload to the wiki. Just like you said, I back up to an object until the camera moves into 'first person' mode and then click and hold the mouse button. I then swing the angle around until it would be facing my pirate. Once ready, I repeatedly unclick and click the button again until I get the desired distance I want for the close up screenshot of the various gear.

Plus moving around in first person is pretty neat. Thanks for sharing the awesome camera tip and trick!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
I have a tip about something that I just found out about.
I have a young swashbuckler in Tumbleweed and for the first time I tried to stack my poison attacks. To my shock they will not stack. It just makes a weird noise then essentially passes your turn. This makes it really hard if you are fighting with another swashbuckler as you must now really pay attention to who got poisoned by who. If you try to use yours after the other Swashy has already poisoned, it REALLY limits what you can do. As this is a new revelation for me I am going to try to do a poison when only some of my targets have already been poisoned and some are not. I want to see what happens. I just learned the hard way that if I poison then have my Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah make the same move on the same targets, his play forfeits. I thought it was a glitch until I tried to poison a group of trapped baddies that still had poison on them and I learned my lesson well. Swashbucklers be warned, having all that poison at your disposal isn't as powerful as you think.
I do hope that maybe when Ratbeard has time he can explain to us why it is this way or maybe they can allow us to stack them. But I am more than willing to bow to whatever reasons they have for limiting us this way although I really hope the reasons are good ones so this particular yucky medicine can be swallowed with minimal twisted faces.
I too made the mistake a while back about having multiple poisoning powers high up in my power listing and thinking that I could stack them. That was until, I believe it may have been SlightlyMadWizard, who posted that the poison power effects and the bleeding effects from some powers indeed do not stack. But the point you bring up about being in battle with other Swashbucklers or any other class that has gear equipped with poison is an excellent one. If someone else who is in battle with you isn't aware of this fact or knows but just happens to use the power on the same turn, a very important strategic and good secondary damage power just goes to waste.

It seems that maybe something could or should be changed in regards to this because like you noted, having two poison powers in your arsenal but having to wait 3 or 5 turns to use the next one, to avoid the other going to waste, just seems to be drastically limiting your usage of these powers in battle.

I'm thinking that maybe KIs reason for doing this (and it is purely speculative), was to prevent people from loading their pirate's gear with the poisoning powers, thus possibly dealing thousands of damage points of health to many targets for several rounds. I know that my buccaneer pirate has at least three pieces of gear with the various levels of poison attached to them. There are times when the poison deals 200-300 points of damage per turn. If I used all three powers in consecutive turns I could possibly do close to 1000 damage to 3, 4 or even 6 or 7 enemies for 3 -5 rounds. Even at just 200 per turn on 5 enemies, that is 1000 damage points ever round for up to possibly 5 rounds, while still being able to carry out other powerful buffs or attacks.

Now I for one would love that kind of behind the scenes damage being dealt to my pirate's enemies, but maybe KI thought that allowing that would easily create an unfair, unbalanced battle strategy and make it too easy. Just my two scents though. I too would love to hear what the mighty and wise Ratbeard has to say in regards to this. So, oh great Bearded Rat...if you would be so kind as to indulge us.