Pirates Helping Pirates, (PHP)

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
privateerking on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
try and farm sato for his shades they give shadow step then once the enemy is next to you trying to kill you cutting off your teams heals and support you use it and your on the other side of the board ( privateer helpful tip)

farm rook to get his gun it gives an abilitie called knockback it might save you sometimes( musketeer tip)

farm water guardian he gives assassin strike ring and necklace with the card ( swashbucklers, )

witchdoctor sry i dont have a tip for you your already as good as you can be in pvp ( my opinion)

witty logan quick level 65 privateer

witty logan quick level 25 witchdoctor and for you people wondering why they have same name is because then my friends can find me easier

"may your light shine bright within us"
Thank you for the great tips privateerking and welcome to the thread. We appreciate you sharing any helpful strategies, advice and tips with your fellow pirate community. Those are great tips on some great really great gear and the Black Rain Shades from Sato are a great piece of gear to have. Shadow Step can definitely be very resourceful in battle. Even though it is a one time use, it can get you out of a sticky situation and allow your pirate to regroup and get back to buffing, healing or shielding.

Thanks again for the great input.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Gruesome Richard on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
This tip mainly applies to Privateers. Thanks to a certain someone for the words of inspiration by the way
Sorry if some of this stuff has already been explained in another thread , but assuming that those who read this awesome thread are thinking of a Privateer Pirate, here's my 2 cents for the day:

While Privateers possessing a good combination of Strength and Will is very smart, I began a different strategy of mine. My Privateer has begun using a Slashy/Staffy combo, considering that his Will is very high. With this, you can take the advantage of Melee strikes ( ie: Assassin Strike, Back Stab, etc. ) while also, if you acquire such a gear, using a Great Juju power to increase your Will.
Here are my suggestions on gear if you plan on trying this strategy out:
NOTE: The following gear are no auction and Privateer only
(Oh man, researching the items made me realize the large sheer amount of items with powers, so I shortened them to what I would suggest for this strategy)
  • The Konsha Kote robe (Lvl 40+ with Great Juju) which is dropped by the infamous Doctor Noh in Khotan Skyway
  • The Protector Boots (Lvl 55+ with Great Juju) which are dropped by some boss in Aquila ( So sorry I don't know the source, I have the boots, but I do not know which boss dropped them. If someone can find who drops it, I would greatly appreciate it. I expect the boss' level range to be between 55-59)
  • The Dragon's Jade charm (Lvl 45+ with Assassin's Strike) which is dropped by the Fire and Water Guardians as well as Shang Hong. (Personally, I suggest the Water Guardian, he has rare loot for all class of pirates)
  • The Exorcists Ring (Pretty scary name ) (Lvl 45+ with another Assassin's Strike) which is dropped by the Water Guardian and Lo Pan.
  • The Kannushi's Beacon (Level 45+ with, well, you should know by now) which currently is not in the P101 Wiki (or I overlooked it ) but I can confirm to you now it is also dropped by the Water Guardian.
To ( man this is long ) be continued...
What a fantastic post with incredible tips. Great Juju is one of my favorite things to have for all my pirates because it will help anyone on my crew and gives them JUST what they need and if I have a friend close enough to 'Catch a chicken' they get just what they need even if they have switched weapons. To have such a game plan to get them is indeed a treasure worthy of burying and making an awesome map to tear into pieces.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
krokotopia pirate on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
How to get nick dead eye on Defeated
First you look for the golden walk in darkness
Second discard powers like gallant defense
Then use shadow dance
Finally use the new attack like the sneak attack
He was dead on my swashbuckler .
Guide to getting a mini game
First farm:Johnny Ringo(Clark's house)
Second:monkey king side chamber in The world before marleybone
How to get max gold
First you farm the bosses you have access to
Since I have access to almost all the bosses excluding side quests bosses for me
So I farm rookie or friar sand
Then I collect chests in the highest world I am in which is aq
Or go to farming events or farm ships
That's it for now
Good tips here and I have used some of these very concepts too.
With the exception of discarding Gallant Defense. IF I am in a situation where a very high damage dealing companion is getting picked on by the baddies, AND I have plenty of life to spare, I just love having this option. It will make the baddies nearby focus their attacks on me, who has enough life to absorb the damage, thus leaving my high damage dealer safe to continue to devastate the bad guys and win the battle for me. I also put on the 50% block or one of the Valor's armor's first, then any damage I take on is very minimal. So by shielding myself then taking the blows for my tough guy, I win the fight easily.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
Great tip privateerking. I believe that charm or necklace you are referring to is called Igneous Fangs with the power Stygian Chorus. Ebon also drops a totem called Caustic Fangs with the same power that may be more suited for witchdoctors, because the stat boosts are for +6 will and +7 damage. Although the charm gives +8 dodge and +8 damage, so those are good stat boosts universally for all the classes. I believe there are 2 more totems from Ebon that have that same power (Stygian Chorus)- Blighted Fangs and Voltaic Fangs.

Nice tip that can surely help out a witchdoctor that enjoys summoning! Lot's of extra minions to deal and absorb attacks on the battle field. Just watch out on a small battle board- because with 5 extra minions it can get a bit crowded, thus limiting your crew movement options.

I so would like the ability to have control over those summoned minions' (and pet's) movements. But for a witchdoctor or ranged fighter, having to move and find an available tile isn't really an issue for the most part.

Thanks for the tip.
Fantastic additional info here. I love having so much intel of the good bosses. This thread will sure make us pirates a mighty force to be reckoned with.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
Thanks, Chrissy for the info, I had forgotten to respond to you about this- as my little rascals have been occupying me and my time more and more these days (I do love every minute of it though).

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong or that it wasn't a bug, so it is nice to know that I am not the only one that this happens too. I guess I have to just be a bit more patient when trying to get a great screenshot. As far as using Ctrl-G to get screenshots in ship battle- that takes a little bit of getting used to when first attempting, at least it has for me. Like you said, I get too focused on trying to get the right angle and time the ship power attack just right and then next thing you know I have forgotten to heal. I am getting the hang of it now though. So, have you been fortunate, or unfortunate enough, to get a shot of your own ship sinking?

Thanks again for the screenshot tips, Chrissy!
Lol, Actually no, as my camera gets dragged down with my ship and I am 'Poofed' to the life fountain too quickly. The closest I have come is to get the shot of the proverbial cannon ball as it sails through the air towards me. (Cannon ball can be whatever creature they are using against my ship at the moment) I see that impressive whatever rearing back to pummel me and then it all goes dark. . *Dries off lense and tries again*

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 8, 2014 wrote:
Lol, Actually no, as my camera gets dragged down with my ship and I am 'Poofed' to the life fountain too quickly. The closest I have come is to get the shot of the proverbial cannon ball as it sails through the air towards me. (Cannon ball can be whatever creature they are using against my ship at the moment) I see that impressive whatever rearing back to pummel me and then it all goes dark. . *Dries off lense and tries again*
I rather like your tenacity. Let 'em have it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 8, 2014 wrote:
I rather like your tenacity. Let 'em have it.
*Smartly salutes* Yes Sir Professor Sir OK crew we have our orders. Let's go sink some more Skullduggerites.

Bosun
May 01, 2012
396
During the Quest Bronco Busting, I had to fight three spiders all by myself (well, me and my pet). What I had to do (especially with my Witchdoctor) was to use gear that increased my health, the weapon I was using, and abilities (such as spells for Witchdoctor - especially the AOE ones - area of effect). I then repositioned my powers putting most of my damage spells first along with one or two (you won't have time to use any more) healing spells. During the fight, if it cannot be used to damage the enemy, increase the damage you do or decrease the damage they do, DISCARD IT (except for the good 1 to 2 healing spells) by right clicking on it! Also, before the fight, put your pet as First Mate to have a better chance for it to appear with you. I agree that the pets usually don't help that much, but at worst, it will take some of the attacks that would have come your way. Of course, after this fight was over, I had to reposition all the Powers back the way I wanted them for normal fights and also change my First Mate.

Bosun
May 01, 2012
396
This should be something that is obvious, but I need to be reminded of it from time to time. The weapon you are using should be bolstered by the equipment you have on. If your weapon gives bonuses for Strength, use equipment that raises your Strength. If your weapon gives bonuses for Agility, use equipment that raises your Agility. If your weapon gives bonuses for Will, use equipment that raises your Will. USE ONLY weapons that give bonuses for your best two statistics. Ie If you are a Buccaneer, your main abilities are Strength and Agility, Privateers – Will and Strength, Swashbucklers – Agility and Strength, Musketeers – Agility and Will, and Witchdoctors – Will and Agility.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
SlightlyMadWizard on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
During the Quest Bronco Busting, I had to fight three spiders all by myself (well, me and my pet). What I had to do (especially with my Witchdoctor) was to use gear that increased my health, the weapon I was using, and abilities (such as spells for Witchdoctor - especially the AOE ones - area of effect). I then repositioned my powers putting most of my damage spells first along with one or two (you won't have time to use any more) healing spells. During the fight, if it cannot be used to damage the enemy, increase the damage you do or decrease the damage they do, DISCARD IT (except for the good 1 to 2 healing spells) by right clicking on it! Also, before the fight, put your pet as First Mate to have a better chance for it to appear with you. I agree that the pets usually don't help that much, but at worst, it will take some of the attacks that would have come your way. Of course, after this fight was over, I had to reposition all the Powers back the way I wanted them for normal fights and also change my First Mate.
This is really good stuff except I am confused about putting your pet as first mate. From what I understand about the game I don't think you can do that. Your pet has a 50% of joining you in battle and there is nothing you can do to change that. It happens or it doesn't.

One other tip for Witchdoctors in this fight. Release your minions. Every minion you set out will take damage for you and can chip away at their life for you. So boost your will with a Juju or two to increase the level of said minions and turn 'em lose on those spiders. They will be true life savers for you.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2013
39
If you are Buccaneer class like I am, you get a series of moves that will increase the number of spaces you can move. If you are another class but still want to use this, you can offer a few training points to my old pal Mordekai. I suggest if you get into a ship battle, I prefer to use these moves to get to the opponent's ship and push the enemy back into there own territory, thus activating the Pirate ability if you have it, usually for the duration of the battle. (Sorry if anyone posted this before me, I didn't really focus on the replies.)

Leo, Lvl 59

Bosun
May 01, 2012
396
Golden Guardian on Feb 3, 2014 wrote:
You should not always neglect your companions critical hits. If they have a mega critical card, a plus 1 critical from enduring discipline will convert that mega into an epic hit. Now I know most companions already have an epic hit, but some are still stuck in super or mega like Hawkules.

A great tip for swashbucklers:
You most probably have Sarah Steele, and now with her upgrade she could be more deadly than toro! You should hide her, give her her own critical boost, and send her charging with her mega hit swashbuckler stab move. The thing you will find is that she now does an epic hit, instead of a mega hit! Can be applied to any companion who posses a super/mega hit and a critical boost.

Bonus mystery tip:
Stacking critical powers may create what I call a legendary hit. As you already know, a +1 enduring discipline will convert a mega into an epic hit. However it converts an epic hit into an... AWESOME EPIC HIT! Me and my friends find that if we stack criticals, we can do 4000+ damage! This is because after applying a total of +4 critical chance, a hit if epic will now display as an epic hit with epic + 4 critical!
One disadvantage to hiding Sarah Steele is that you must make sure that her Repel Boarders talent can't be triggered after you hide her or she will not be hidden when you plan to use her Swashbuckler Stab move. The only way I can think to do this is to have her surrounded by enemies and then hide her.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
1190
A while ago Golden Guardian asked for some suggestions for witchdoctors fighting Ophidian Flame Dancers. I'm sure he is now practiced at defeating that foe, but having now encountered them myself with my witchdoctor, Anneke, I noticed some practical ways of fighting. I'm sure others have said much the same, so I hope I don't repeat their useful tips too much:

-- first, just like anytime you fight witchdoctors (Tengu, Satyrs, etc.), spread out. Don't stand in a line, cluster, or on the diagonal with your companions. Witchdoctors are much more likely to target multiple people that way (because they are sensible! Just like you!)

-- You can target a distant enemy with a spell; they will be too far away to counter with 'Witch Hunter'

-- You can target a group of nearby enemies with an area spell without getting blasted back, just make sure that the center square is empty, not focused on an enemy. Of course, you will likely not get all the enemies you would like to target, but it does work better this way than having each of them come back at you.

-- If you have a weapon other than simply a staff, use it - spark gun for shooty/staffy, blade for stabby/staffy, etc. If you have cards of attack from the other schools (eg. Swashbuckler, Musketeer, Buccaneer) your witchdoctor foes will not counter them... until you do mojo echo of course, but that's okay. No one expects to go into a fight and not get clobbered, at least a little!

And I do love the looks and costumes of those Ophidian Flame Dancers! But I suppose that is a topic for another thread...

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
Here's a tip for new players:

Don't be someone your not. If your a Swashbuckler then don't try to get the armor or health stat on your gear. Stick with the stats your supposed to have. If your a privateer then don't worry about getting high damage gear. Stick with your class weapon. A buccaneer shouldn't have a weapon that doesn't use strength, Musketeers shouldn't have blades etc. Keep true to yourself and you will be fine.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2012
80
As a level 65 musketeer i have noticed that a way to win (for musketeers) easily is in the first few moves in a battle don't move. What you want to do is put all of your bomb traps early in your abilities list so that they show up early in the battle. Then by not moving you or your companions you can lure enemies into traps you lay before them. This only works if you move no one forward, unless you have "Walk in Shadows" or something like that, because it will force the enemy to advance so they can get into range to attack. This may have already been stated in the eleven plus pages prior, but i just wanted to share this with the new musketeers because this idea really helped me through the game.

Bloody Cyrus Killerny 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Anne Radcliffe on Feb 16, 2014 wrote:
A while ago Golden Guardian asked for some suggestions for witchdoctors fighting Ophidian Flame Dancers. I'm sure he is now practiced at defeating that foe, but having now encountered them myself with my witchdoctor, Anneke, I noticed some practical ways of fighting. I'm sure others have said much the same, so I hope I don't repeat their useful tips too much:

-- first, just like anytime you fight witchdoctors (Tengu, Satyrs, etc.), spread out. Don't stand in a line, cluster, or on the diagonal with your companions. Witchdoctors are much more likely to target multiple people that way (because they are sensible! Just like you!)

-- You can target a distant enemy with a spell; they will be too far away to counter with 'Witch Hunter'

-- You can target a group of nearby enemies with an area spell without getting blasted back, just make sure that the center square is empty, not focused on an enemy. Of course, you will likely not get all the enemies you would like to target, but it does work better this way than having each of them come back at you.

-- If you have a weapon other than simply a staff, use it - spark gun for shooty/staffy, blade for stabby/staffy, etc. If you have cards of attack from the other schools (eg. Swashbuckler, Musketeer, Buccaneer) your witchdoctor foes will not counter them... until you do mojo echo of course, but that's okay. No one expects to go into a fight and not get clobbered, at least a little!

And I do love the looks and costumes of those Ophidian Flame Dancers! But I suppose that is a topic for another thread...
Great stuff Anne. I am gonna make sure to re read this when my Witchdoctor, Merciful Chrissy gets that far. She is still taking her time in Marleybone but knows what is ahead of her from the chatter from my Musketeer and Privateer. Thank you for the valuable tips.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
cutlessclark on Feb 16, 2014 wrote:
As a level 65 musketeer i have noticed that a way to win (for musketeers) easily is in the first few moves in a battle don't move. What you want to do is put all of your bomb traps early in your abilities list so that they show up early in the battle. Then by not moving you or your companions you can lure enemies into traps you lay before them. This only works if you move no one forward, unless you have "Walk in Shadows" or something like that, because it will force the enemy to advance so they can get into range to attack. This may have already been stated in the eleven plus pages prior, but i just wanted to share this with the new musketeers because this idea really helped me through the game.

Bloody Cyrus Killerny 65
I am in total agreement with this tip. I have even learned to put them out even before buffing myself to make them stronger. If they are shooters then they won't move much and once they get into range they just stand there and your bombs are just sitting there looking awesome. Time matters when they are going to move in fast. I have though, in occasion with fighting shooters is to do a tactical retreat. They have to follow you to stay in range and they will then walk right into your waiting bombs and traps. So once they stop and begin firing Fill up the gaps with many layers of bombs and traps them back away. They will then stumble right into your carefully laid minefield and you may just finish a few of them off this way.

When fighting melee fighters, go ahead and fill up the area around you with bombs and traps. They move around you a lot while trying to hit you and having to go through another bomb just to reach you is very beneficial to us.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
SlightlyMadWizard on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
This should be something that is obvious, but I need to be reminded of it from time to time. The weapon you are using should be bolstered by the equipment you have on. If your weapon gives bonuses for Strength, use equipment that raises your Strength. If your weapon gives bonuses for Agility, use equipment that raises your Agility. If your weapon gives bonuses for Will, use equipment that raises your Will. USE ONLY weapons that give bonuses for your best two statistics. Ie If you are a Buccaneer, your main abilities are Strength and Agility, Privateers – Will and Strength, Swashbucklers – Agility and Strength, Musketeers – Agility and Will, and Witchdoctors – Will and Agility.
Great tips SlightlyMadWizard!

The tip about having a pet equipped for the spider fight, is a good one- extra damage and can draw attacks away from you. I too am a bit curious as to the meaning of putting your pet as first mate. I didn't know you could do that, unless maybe you were referring to changing the game option of having your pet be your follower. If so, I didn't realize that if you did this, that it would increase the chances of the pet showing up in battle. Like Chrissy, I thought it was always just a 50% chance of whether the pet showed up or not.

As far as the weapon tip, that's some good advice to equip one that is boosted by equipment that raises your pirate's class primary stat and that your weapon is boosted by. One other note is to make sure you take into account what skills you have used training points on, especially from other classes. If you trained in Slashy Weapons rank 1 & 2 it would be more advantageous to use a Slashy Weapon than a Smashy of the same damage range if you have not trained in Smashy weapons. Both are boosted by strength, but the Slashy training will give the weapon +8 damage (+2 from rank 1, +6 from rank 2).

Again great tips, and thanks for sharing!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
This is really good stuff except I am confused about putting your pet as first mate. From what I understand about the game I don't think you can do that. Your pet has a 50% of joining you in battle and there is nothing you can do to change that. It happens or it doesn't.

One other tip for Witchdoctors in this fight. Release your minions. Every minion you set out will take damage for you and can chip away at their life for you. So boost your will with a Juju or two to increase the level of said minions and turn 'em lose on those spiders. They will be true life savers for you.
Excellent additional tip Chrissy!

I can't wait to progress my Witchdoctor to this point of the main quest, just so I can get some revenge on those spiders for picking on my lonely ol' pirate. And great advice on using Juju to increase the minion's level, since I have not played as a Witchdoctor (only created) I was not aware that increased will would actually increase the level of your minions- and now that you mentioned it, it makes perfect sense. So thank you for the lesson.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Buccaneer Supreme on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
If you are Buccaneer class like I am, you get a series of moves that will increase the number of spaces you can move. If you are another class but still want to use this, you can offer a few training points to my old pal Mordekai. I suggest if you get into a ship battle, I prefer to use these moves to get to the opponent's ship and push the enemy back into there own territory, thus activating the Pirate ability if you have it, usually for the duration of the battle. (Sorry if anyone posted this before me, I didn't really focus on the replies.)

Leo, Lvl 59
Welcome to the PHP thread Leo and thank you for the tip!

That is great advice to try to get aboard the enemy's ship as quickly as possible in order to make use of the Pirate ability. Any advantage in battle is great to have and the Pirate Talent boosts of extra damage and extra accuracy (with Pirate ranks 2 & 3) are extremely valuable in battle. I am not sure if it had been previously mentioned before, but even if it had- it is still a great reminder and tip to keep in mind.

Thanks again for the input and the great tip.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Anne Radcliffe on Feb 16, 2014 wrote:
A while ago Golden Guardian asked for some suggestions for witchdoctors fighting Ophidian Flame Dancers. I'm sure he is now practiced at defeating that foe, but having now encountered them myself with my witchdoctor, Anneke, I noticed some practical ways of fighting. I'm sure others have said much the same, so I hope I don't repeat their useful tips too much:

-- first, just like anytime you fight witchdoctors (Tengu, Satyrs, etc.), spread out. Don't stand in a line, cluster, or on the diagonal with your companions. Witchdoctors are much more likely to target multiple people that way (because they are sensible! Just like you!)

-- You can target a distant enemy with a spell; they will be too far away to counter with 'Witch Hunter'

-- You can target a group of nearby enemies with an area spell without getting blasted back, just make sure that the center square is empty, not focused on an enemy. Of course, you will likely not get all the enemies you would like to target, but it does work better this way than having each of them come back at you.

-- If you have a weapon other than simply a staff, use it - spark gun for shooty/staffy, blade for stabby/staffy, etc. If you have cards of attack from the other schools (eg. Swashbuckler, Musketeer, Buccaneer) your witchdoctor foes will not counter them... until you do mojo echo of course, but that's okay. No one expects to go into a fight and not get clobbered, at least a little!

And I do love the looks and costumes of those Ophidian Flame Dancers! But I suppose that is a topic for another thread...
Thanks for the fantastic Witchdoctor tips Anne.

Not long ago, my Buccaneer pirate battled many of those Ophidian Flame Dancers and the whole time I thought, man this has got to be tough if you are a Witchdoctor. With all of the Witch Hunter and other Epic Talents they possess, I could only imagine them being a tough foe for a Witchdoctor to deal with.

Like Chrissy, I too will be referring to this post when I get my Witchdoctor up and rolling. Those tips and strategies are sure to make it much easier to deal with the Scaly, Slithering Serpent Sorceresses.

Thanks again for the great and wise tips...and yeah, now that you mentioned those costumes are pretty nifty looking.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Duke of Westminste... on Feb 16, 2014 wrote:
Here's a tip for new players:

Don't be someone your not. If your a Swashbuckler then don't try to get the armor or health stat on your gear. Stick with the stats your supposed to have. If your a privateer then don't worry about getting high damage gear. Stick with your class weapon. A buccaneer shouldn't have a weapon that doesn't use strength, Musketeers shouldn't have blades etc. Keep true to yourself and you will be fine.
Great input and advice Duke of Westminster.

I agree that utilizing the skill set, primary attributes and advantages that each particular class possess is a vital key to success in the Spiral. I also believe that adding a piece of gear tailored to another class can be beneficial (especially for some of their powers) on occasion. Like when my buccaneer is battling lots of high level Witchdoctor enemies, sometimes I equip some of my extra gear with large boosts in resistance and health. My pirate will still have pretty high armor but will now be better equipped to bear the brunt of the Witchdoctor's magical arsenal of attacks.

But in general, you are absolutely wise to suggest to use and enhance what gifts, talents, attributes and abilities that your pirate's class will benefit most from.

Thank you for the great advice, tips and stopping in to provide some input.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
cutlessclark on Feb 16, 2014 wrote:
As a level 65 musketeer i have noticed that a way to win (for musketeers) easily is in the first few moves in a battle don't move. What you want to do is put all of your bomb traps early in your abilities list so that they show up early in the battle. Then by not moving you or your companions you can lure enemies into traps you lay before them. This only works if you move no one forward, unless you have "Walk in Shadows" or something like that, because it will force the enemy to advance so they can get into range to attack. This may have already been stated in the eleven plus pages prior, but i just wanted to share this with the new musketeers because this idea really helped me through the game.

Bloody Cyrus Killerny 65
Thank you for the super tips cutlessclark/Cyrus and welcome to the PHP thread.

Fantastic strategy as far as deploying and making use of a Musketeers many traps and bombs in the first stages of a battle. Like both you and Chrissy said, the enemy will have to get close enough in order for your crew to be in striking damage or range. Therefore they will have to pass through the deadly traps and warzone you have placed in front of them- lots of extra damage done to them, all before they even reach your crew.

I think waiting and holding back is a great strategy to use regardless of the class. It allows for buffing/shielding/hiding and using the strategy you presented for Musketeers. For the melee classes it is great too, because you can avoid taking damage in possibly the first couple turns, and then have the entire crew available to take on one enemy and kindly escort them from the battle before they even had a chance to inflict damage. Also, often when you send your companions out in the first turn, you expose one of them to attacks from multiple enemies- as he/she will be the focal point of attacks since that crew member will be the only one in range of their attacks. I think being patient and letting the enemy come to you is a great strategy and will allow both your traps/bombs and buffs to work for you and to your advantage.

Thank you so much for your input and for the great tips.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
I am in total agreement with this tip. I have even learned to put them out even before buffing myself to make them stronger. If they are shooters then they won't move much and once they get into range they just stand there and your bombs are just sitting there looking awesome. Time matters when they are going to move in fast. I have though, in occasion with fighting shooters is to do a tactical retreat. They have to follow you to stay in range and they will then walk right into your waiting bombs and traps. So once they stop and begin firing Fill up the gaps with many layers of bombs and traps them back away. They will then stumble right into your carefully laid minefield and you may just finish a few of them off this way.

When fighting melee fighters, go ahead and fill up the area around you with bombs and traps. They move around you a lot while trying to hit you and having to go through another bomb just to reach you is very beneficial to us.
Excellent follow up and additional advice Chrissy. I agree 110%- let the bombs and traps work for you and weaken the enemy as they approach and try to get to you. Forcing the enemy to come after you and pass through your bombs/traps is a nice strategy indeed. Thank you for the extra tidbits.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 18, 2014 wrote:
Thank you for the super tips cutlessclark/Cyrus and welcome to the PHP thread.

Fantastic strategy as far as deploying and making use of a Musketeers many traps and bombs in the first stages of a battle. Like both you and Chrissy said, the enemy will have to get close enough in order for your crew to be in striking damage or range. Therefore they will have to pass through the deadly traps and warzone you have placed in front of them- lots of extra damage done to them, all before they even reach your crew.

I think waiting and holding back is a great strategy to use regardless of the class. It allows for buffing/shielding/hiding and using the strategy you presented for Musketeers. For the melee classes it is great too, because you can avoid taking damage in possibly the first couple turns, and then have the entire crew available to take on one enemy and kindly escort them from the battle before they even had a chance to inflict damage. Also, often when you send your companions out in the first turn, you expose one of them to attacks from multiple enemies- as he/she will be the focal point of attacks since that crew member will be the only one in range of their attacks. I think being patient and letting the enemy come to you is a great strategy and will allow both your traps/bombs and buffs to work for you and to your advantage.

Thank you so much for your input and for the great tips.
Lol..."Kindly escort them from the battlefield before they even had a chance to inflict damage" I just love how you put that. The poor poor enemy, they got all geared up to fight me and my crew and I just mopped up the floor with them before they even got to aim their weapon. That is not only a fantastic thing to happen it is also so kind to consider the feelings of the baddy that was oh so wanting to send my head to rocking. An act that so illustrates the heart of the virtuous pirate.