Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirates Helping Pirates, (PHP)

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
anecorbie on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
I don't know if anyone has covered this yet or not, but I have a strategy to defeat Scylla in Aquila - The ship I used at the time was a Marleybone galleon, I did have Crown shop gear on it as I recall Wheel of the Jade emperor, That Sea serpent horn, and armor. Step 1 make sure your mojo is full, 2. have at least one friend on board to take care of Scylla's traps and spawns. 3. only use the mojo when your ships health is at that last 300 pts. 4. JUST KEEP BLASTIN"!!!
i used the AQ galleon to take care of that thing...due to your ship being lvl 65 it had a huge advantage for the accuracy/dodge ratings on the ship...and for the tokens, i just had a noob friend port and deal with them.....noobs FTW :D

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
TheDragonspyrePira... on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
8 say hello to my little friend(s) get friends, it's the best and easiest way to win, it got me through the game.
9 (meant to be said In a pirate terminator voice) I'll be back - _ - -- if you want to win farm for good gear, or try your luck in the bazaar, (funny story I got that ultra rare snake hat from Pariss and accidentally sold it because I thought it was ugly XD)
10 get up stand up, fight for your right... To not Die! (beastie boys Easter egg, except it's "to party") sometimes your going to have to fight. And if it's an important one use a mojo, which brings me to my next one
11 if you like mojo juice, and fighting in the rain ... (Said in surfer voice) use it wisely man. (Another song Easter egg but forgot band) only use mojo if your best companions are dead, only then.
12 life ain't rainbows and my little pony, it's cuts bruises and yum yum... Lots of yum yum. Instead of using a mojo when your not near a life fountain if there's yum yum around go for it.
13 major Payne (it's a movie if your old enough to see it go. But it's a bit inappropriate, speaking of which a Teacher showed it us in school.) get good armor (I mean the blue shield and mojo one) you can indeed take some major pain.
14 if you can fight, mess with the bull, you get hamburgers. Practice fighting, learn different styles, a good way to do this is pvp, learn other pirates styles and try them, who knows, they could save you.
15 wax on wax off (original karate kid) again do pvp stuff that seems like fun (or just a old mans chores) can teach you stuff.
16 I not know how to spel. Stay in school kids, that is probably the best thing to do and can literally save your life. ( I'm a nerd but I'm a terrible speller. And I'm most nerdy in English, you should also see my handwriting... It's well TERRIBLE!
17 keep your friends close and your enemy's farther away. (Here I put some common wisdom out to light.) basically when you keep your friends with you at all times (especially the higher lvl ones like me (which my friends take advantage of) your a better fighter and pretty much unstoppable to almost any boss or dungeon.
18 cut of one head, (Chicago accent) fogget about it. For the hydra it's easier with friends and you only have to go for one color head at a time. Again running out of room. I won't be posting as often (if at all) but I'll still post here, I love to help you guys so I'll see you later (it took me a long time since I had to think of these jokes)

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer
Just delightful stuff here. Your jokes, eggs and puns are brilliant. I think my favorite was the Pina Colada song. I always loved that song as it is so romantic. A marriage almost gone wrong but soulmates will always attract. Wonderful memories of singing that lovely song. Thank you. Great tips and I am now singing. You can't beat that.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
You crack me up Jack- I like your style.

Thanks for the laughs. I love all of the Easter eggs and pop culture references. I also like the fact that you are a self labeled nerd and not afraid to let it be known...Say it Loud, and Say it Proud. Some of the nicest and most inspiring people are 'nerds', and many of my good friends are. I, myself am only about 23/32nds nerd, on my mother's side (nearly removed), but I often wish I was more.

Oh, and I also believe that in reference to #10, that is also a Bob Marley ( & The Wailers) reference to his early 70s song Get Up, Stand Up, with the lyrics "Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights." And if I am not mistaken, #11 could be a reference to the late 70s Rupert Holmes song, Escape (aka- the Pina Colada song) with the lyrics "If you like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain. It has been used in a lot of movies- even Shrek. But I could be wrong as to it being the song you are referencing.

Your clever and very funny intros to your tips almost made me forget about the great tips themselves. Best tip of all "Stay in school kids..."- great advice Jack. And yeah, I can't believe a teacher showed that movie in school- I have seen it and seen the video games as well, and they are definitely not school appropriate viewing material.

Again, thanks for all the great, funny tips (which I could imagine you put a lot of time and effort into) and happy to hear that you are going to make some stops in the thread to provide more in the future.
The beastie boys did a spin off of the fight for your right by adding there own stuff to it. I heard it on one of there CDs and your right about the piña colada song. And that movie is a great movie, my favorite part is either the booth man in the closet or the little engine that could.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Wow, I wish I had known that when I first fought Scylla! I did solo it and it took me 6 times before I got past the Scylla spawn ( I'm very stubborn ) and this was before the Henchman option! My other pirates had less of a nightmare when fighting Scylla. Thanks for the welcome!
You are quite welcome! I think a lot of players weren't aware that you could take a break and recoup during the Scylla fight. I am pretty sure that great and oh so useful tip is in here in the PHP thread somewhere, along with other Scylla tips. It would be nice if threads could be organized after they start accumulating a lot of posts, that way anyone looking for a specific tip could better locate it. Or if you could conduct a search just within a particular thread, that would be helpful too. I think you can narrow your search within a specific message board main topic, but just not narrow it down to a specific thread search. That would help, especially in a case were someone was just looking for tips on defeating Scylla. But you can still use the search option with 'defeating Scylla' or 'Scylla tips' used as key words and then select include message body. The search results will then find any post within a thread that has those key words in contained within (up to 50 results).

I am glad to see that your determination and tenacity paid off and your pirates were all able to best Scylla.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
TheDragonspyrePira... on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
The beastie boys did a spin off of the fight for your right by adding there own stuff to it. I heard it on one of there CDs and your right about the piña colada song. And that movie is a great movie, my favorite part is either the booth man in the closet or the little engine that could.
I meant boogy man (dang spell check)

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
TheDragonspyrePira... on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Oh, I hear you Jack. I grew up as a teen in the late 80s and 90s and I am oh so familiar with the Beastie Boys and their music...brings back some fond memories in fact. And you are absolutely right, Shrek is a movie that anyone can enjoy and appreciate- from kid to kid at heart of all ages. All of the Shrek movies get Two Ogre Thumbs up from me and my family. When my son was 2 1/2 - 3 he couldn't get enough of Shrek, in fact he was Shrek for his 2nd Halloween and he still loves watching all of them. Oh, and by the way I enjoyed your Styx (Mr. Roboto) reference too...another one that brings back some great memories. Keep up the great tips and thanks again for the super funny tidbits included with them.

Ensign
Mar 05, 2010
hi guys i really need help im a level 24 swash
and i REALLY REALLY want a dog companion super bad btw did i mention i want a dog companion

Sarcastic Octavio Armstrong
reply a.s.a.p please

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
lucas1200 on Apr 9, 2014 wrote:
hi guys i really need help im a level 24 swash
and i REALLY REALLY want a dog companion super bad btw did i mention i want a dog companion

Sarcastic Octavio Armstrong
reply a.s.a.p please
Hi Octavio. Welcome to the message boards and to the PHP thread. I have some great news for you. When you get to Marleybone you will get your dog. You will get Lt Springer a dog Captain for your crew. This guide shows you what companions you will get as you level up.

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
Fort Bassett:
For. 2 people you should let the high character do it and

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
krokotopia pirate on Apr 16, 2014 wrote:
Fort Bassett:
For. 2 people you should let the high character do it and
Hello Rebecca, I think something may have happened to the rest of your post and tip, perhaps. I would really love to hear the possible rest of your tip for Fort Bassett.

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
I mean go into all the fights first for round1
Then you come in on round3
To avoid adding a extra enemy
Tips try to defeat all enemies for every fight
For the commander Davis fight:there are 2 defeat all enemies goal then defeat commander Davis and then that fight is over
Another tip:try to use barrels at the enemy far away from your pirate so enemy loses health then you try to train gunnery so you could knock down some enemies health in the start middle or end of every fight
The last fight use buffs and powers to defeat one enemy that is the last goal and then that is the last fight of the dungeon.
-how to start every fight most of every fight
There is a line up that helps me win almost every fight
It is called
Pirate-duckling/bait
All you have to do is put your pirate in the back
Put the duckling in front 2 spaces and putthe bait to the front
And then defeat enemies
This might work anywhere
But mostly

Skull island, the monkey world,Valencia and cool ranch

-how. To save gold first you level up then you get training tomes but with the new update in the test. Realm you can get them in the next update but giving your companions that don't help you preferred get you gold,ship exp,loot and pet loot and more,

-to buy stuff that you no longer need all you do is stitch the look and if you don't like it unstitch
You won't lose the gear unless you trash it your bank is full
When your bank is full you lose additional items

-

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
an apple a day keeps the armada away ;) lvl up and get that exp bar overflowing, keeps you able to take on the baddies easy as pi (not pie but pi, it's funny because pi is very complex and pretty dang hard to understand)
Every body likes waffles! I know I keep on urging you guys to get friends (not saying you don't have any) but there really important, be funny laugh allot and be social.
Big sword tiny body. Weapons are very important you can little armor and yet survive with a good weapon, check the bazaar often
Stand by me. (I like the pie eating contest part) when your with friends it's important to buff them so they fight better
Life is like a chest of loot, never know what your going to get, I actually found rubbing your tummy and paging your head helps, I got Da claw (off to a better life outside the machine) by waiting over buster crabs chest, first try, (wasn't even farming though, Same with the snake hat)
My my miss American pie pulled my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry the good old boys were drinking yum and rye saying this'll be the day I survive: there's a companion quest in the isle of doom, at the end activate the gate ASAP the watermoles help allot
We're not going to take it, NO we're not going to take it, we're not going to take it ANYMORE! If people are trash talking you in pvp, shut them up and use all you got on them, sometimes people need what they deserve

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Well this is embarrassing, I promise a lot of pvp tips/posts and then I take a long break from Pirate101. Anyhow here's one of the posts I promised, since I've been looking around lately. This is a strategy guide for buccaneers, since a lot of people have been saying they deserve more love. First off I myself do not have a max buccaneer, so I apologize in advance if I say something that doesn't even exist or is dumb for a buccaneer or something along those lines, BUT I have studied all the classes for awhile. First off this depends on your capabilities of a move pool, for example do you have bonus gear with bonus powers and such. BUT if you're capable of the set I'm coming up with that's great. First off, assassin's strike is a mandatory duh kind of statement, so I kind of want to go away from mainstream. A lot of people don't look at buccaneers and think the word "tank," more of a used word for privateers right? Well buccaneers are basically when you break them down is what happens when you cross swashbuckler with privateer, they're balanced in both regards, so take advantage of that regard if you haven't taken notice. In terms of farmed gear, balance between assassin's strike and shield spells, i.e. valor's fort, valor's armor, etc. Then in stats accuracy and damage are priority, so you can contradict 2 things: the swashbuckler>buccaneer stereotype and those lovely buffs from privateers, because dodge is what they both rely on more or less. And for defensive stats, don't go for armor, go for health and dodge. Thing is health is technically a resistant to both magic/electric AND melee, but you can lean in any direction. But if you got the health boost as a passive boost at the start, then go NUTS on the health gear instead of armor/resist. That 10% can build up A LOT. For companions, as always, it varies. I, myself, would use of course bonnie anne with burst fire 2 and quick draw 2. And yes you read correct. NO OVERWATCH. And now I'm running out of characters.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
krokotopia pirate on Apr 18, 2014 wrote:
I mean go into all the fights first for round1
Then you come in on round3
To avoid adding a extra enemy
Tips try to defeat all enemies for every fight
For the commander Davis fight:there are 2 defeat all enemies goal then defeat commander Davis and then that fight is over
Another tip:try to use barrels at the enemy far away from your pirate so enemy loses health then you try to train gunnery so you could knock down some enemies health in the start middle or end of every fight
The last fight use buffs and powers to defeat one enemy that is the last goal and then that is the last fight of the dungeon.
-how to start every fight most of every fight
There is a line up that helps me win almost every fight
It is called
Pirate-duckling/bait
All you have to do is put your pirate in the back
Put the duckling in front 2 spaces and putthe bait to the front
And then defeat enemies
This might work anywhere
But mostly

Skull island, the monkey world,Valencia and cool ranch

-how. To save gold first you level up then you get training tomes but with the new update in the test. Realm you can get them in the next update but giving your companions that don't help you preferred get you gold,ship exp,loot and pet loot and more,

-to buy stuff that you no longer need all you do is stitch the look and if you don't like it unstitch
You won't lose the gear unless you trash it your bank is full
When your bank is full you lose additional items

-
Thanks for all of the great tips Rebecca!

The tip about waiting to come in until round 3 to avoid adding the extra enemies is an excellent one. The ability to add an extra pirate and possibly crew member, without having to face additional enemies, is very invaluable. It just might help someone get past a rough spot in the game.

And the Fort Bassett tips surely could help a fellow pirate know what enemies and types of battles to expect, thus making it a much easier time for them. It has been a while since I have done that dungeon but I do remember trying to make use of those explosive barrels to damage some of those distant enemies. Any additional damage, is more than welcome in a battle.

Also, like you referred to, it is wise to keep an eye on your backpack and bank levels. I have had a couple of instances while farming where I lost track of how full my pack was and lost some items because my bank was already full. Knowing what you have, how much space you have in all of your 'storage areas' is important to make sure you can keep the goodies coming in. Also, don't forget to use those 'extra' pirates and extra ships(whether low level or ones already maxed) to store some of you gear to make room for your current pirate. Having a possible, five extra packs, banks and numerous ships can surely allow you to accumulate more great gear.

Thanks again for your input and nice tips, Rebecca!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
TheDragonspyrePira... on Apr 20, 2014 wrote:
an apple a day keeps the armada away ;) lvl up and get that exp bar overflowing, keeps you able to take on the baddies easy as pi (not pie but pi, it's funny because pi is very complex and pretty dang hard to understand)
Every body likes waffles! I know I keep on urging you guys to get friends (not saying you don't have any) but there really important, be funny laugh allot and be social.
Big sword tiny body. Weapons are very important you can little armor and yet survive with a good weapon, check the bazaar often
Stand by me. (I like the pie eating contest part) when your with friends it's important to buff them so they fight better
Life is like a chest of loot, never know what your going to get, I actually found rubbing your tummy and paging your head helps, I got Da claw (off to a better life outside the machine) by waiting over buster crabs chest, first try, (wasn't even farming though, Same with the snake hat)
My my miss American pie pulled my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry the good old boys were drinking yum and rye saying this'll be the day I survive: there's a companion quest in the isle of doom, at the end activate the gate ASAP the watermoles help allot
We're not going to take it, NO we're not going to take it, we're not going to take it ANYMORE! If people are trash talking you in pvp, shut them up and use all you got on them, sometimes people need what they deserve

Thanks Jack, for the humor and for the great tips!

You stated before that you were pretty young, but man oh man do you have a plethora of classic movies, music and entertainment that you reference and quote from. From Donkey in Shrek, to Stand by Me, to Forrest Gump, to Don McLean, to Twisted Sister...HOLY Guacamole, you must be much wiser than your years, that's for sure. I love seeing youth that has an appreciation for art, music and entertainment that has come before them- and you seem to have just that.

And your tips are excellent ones to boot! Leveling up both Pirate XP and Nautical XP is so very wise. With a higher level, your pirate will not only acquire more health and companion training points, but will also gain access to new powers and epic talents (possibly even some from the other trainers). And with all of the Ship Battling quests out there, keeping that Naut. XP up is crucial to not having to pull your hair out due to frustrations over defeating and collecting from higher level ships.

Oh, and buffing your friends and battle comrades is definitely a great tip as well. When with friends it is important to not think of your pirate and your crew as individuals and separate from the larger crew assembled by all of the pirates in combat. Boosting and buffing your battle mates can only tilt the fight even more in your favor.

Tehehaha...love the Da Claw joke- man those games can be addictive (just ask my son) and most of the time you end up spending 237 times what it would cost to buy the prizes outright. I also remember that watermole quest and yeah, they do help out quite a bit- if only for the reason that they can draw the enemies attacks towards them, thus limiting the damage your crew takes (plus any extra damages afforded to the enemy are a welcomed addition indeed)

Finally, I don't do any PvP- but you are right, some people just need to be put in their place when they are the type that try to get under your skin. Beating them at their own game is one sure fire way to steal their thunder...their pride...and their booty.

Thanks again for the super tips and for adding some more laughs as well.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DuncanRoland The E... on Apr 21, 2014 wrote:
Well this is embarrassing, I promise a lot of pvp tips/posts and then I take a long break from Pirate101. Anyhow here's one of the posts I promised, since I've been looking around lately. This is a strategy guide for buccaneers, since a lot of people have been saying they deserve more love. First off I myself do not have a max buccaneer, so I apologize in advance if I say something that doesn't even exist or is dumb for a buccaneer or something along those lines, BUT I have studied all the classes for awhile. First off this depends on your capabilities of a move pool, for example do you have bonus gear with bonus powers and such. BUT if you're capable of the set I'm coming up with that's great. First off, assassin's strike is a mandatory duh kind of statement, so I kind of want to go away from mainstream. A lot of people don't look at buccaneers and think the word "tank," more of a used word for privateers right? Well buccaneers are basically when you break them down is what happens when you cross swashbuckler with privateer, they're balanced in both regards, so take advantage of that regard if you haven't taken notice. In terms of farmed gear, balance between assassin's strike and shield spells, i.e. valor's fort, valor's armor, etc. Then in stats accuracy and damage are priority, so you can contradict 2 things: the swashbuckler>buccaneer stereotype and those lovely buffs from privateers, because dodge is what they both rely on more or less. And for defensive stats, don't go for armor, go for health and dodge. Thing is health is technically a resistant to both magic/electric AND melee, but you can lean in any direction. But if you got the health boost as a passive boost at the start, then go NUTS on the health gear instead of armor/resist. That 10% can build up A LOT. For companions, as always, it varies. I, myself, would use of course bonnie anne with burst fire 2 and quick draw 2. And yes you read correct. NO OVERWATCH. And now I'm running out of characters.
No need to be embarrassed DuncanRoland and no worries at all. Sometimes breaks are needed and besides, the thread will be here waiting for any great tips players have to offer when they get the time...and the players looking for the tips as well.

Thanks for sharing you tips and 'guidelines' for success as a Buccaneer. My only maxed pirate is a Buccaneer and in fact I probably have spent 95.875% of my time playing P101 as a Bucc (calculated via highly scientific algorithms, of course). I actually implement and agree with a lot of your strategies, as well as use other ones too.

I agree with you completely that a Buccaneer is somewhat of a blending of a swashbuckler and a defensive buffing Privateer. I carry around gear for my Bucc. with 3 Assassin's Strikes, 4 Valor's Fortress, and 5 Levi's Calls (including my Bucc. one through training), along with other great powers. Now, for PvE there is absolutely no need for me to equip a set of gear with 4 Valor's Fortress, but mixing them up comes in quite handy. Throwing in Hidden(s) with the Assassin's Strikes, can really do some major damage and allow you to buff without fear of being damaged in return.

Also like you noted, accuracy is a must- I think for any class, increasing your hit success is very crucial indeed. Having a high dodge stat (I supplement mine with gear) can be very valuable as well, especially against those insane damage dealing Swashbucklers and their blasted Ripostes. Getting hit by a Swash, and having your 4 vengeance strikes kick in and miss, can surely ruin your Bucc's day. That is one time when I am happy to not strike back. Also, I wanted to note that for a Bucc. don't underestimate the importance of these powers:

Vicious Charge (multiple available)- w/ +50% Damage/-50% Accuracy to enemy for 10 rounds (w/ Glancing)
Brutal Charge (mult. available)- w/ +25% Damage/-50% Accuracy to enemy for 5 rounds (w/ Glancing)
Brutal Strike (Bucc. only)- w/ +25% Damage/-50% Accuracy to enemy for 1 round

Even though those powers are not as high damaging as Assassin's strike, that decrease in the enemies' Accuracy comes in big time handy. That is why I often use multiples of these powers in succession early in the battle (even before my Assassin's Strikes) to try to help make the enemy miss and hopefully avoid my own damage.

Nice tip with the Health being, in essence, a form of armor against all classes. There's no such thing as having too much health, at least in my opinion.

Thanks again for the great and helpful tips DuncanRoland. Be sure to keep them coming- because we all need all the help we can get out there in the Spiral.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
I remember Robert admitting a couple of months ago that as a high level pirate he still had level 5 gear
So I guess it's my turn-sigh-here goes,I am a level 17 witchdoctor,but my firstmate is .....a batacuda.That's right,when I'm not there I let a fish steer my ship....butin all fainess he is pretty awesome(he's never died,he got close today but was saved by Chrissy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
No need to be embarrassed DuncanRoland and no worries at all. Sometimes breaks are needed and besides, the thread will be here waiting for any great tips players have to offer when they get the time...and the players looking for the tips as well.

Thanks for sharing you tips and 'guidelines' for success as a Buccaneer. My only maxed pirate is a Buccaneer and in fact I probably have spent 95.875% of my time playing P101 as a Bucc (calculated via highly scientific algorithms, of course). I actually implement and agree with a lot of your strategies, as well as use other ones too.

I agree with you completely that a Buccaneer is somewhat of a blending of a swashbuckler and a defensive buffing Privateer. I carry around gear for my Bucc. with 3 Assassin's Strikes, 4 Valor's Fortress, and 5 Levi's Calls (including my Bucc. one through training), along with other great powers. Now, for PvE there is absolutely no need for me to equip a set of gear with 4 Valor's Fortress, but mixing them up comes in quite handy. Throwing in Hidden(s) with the Assassin's Strikes, can really do some major damage and allow you to buff without fear of being damaged in return.

Also like you noted, accuracy is a must- I think for any class, increasing your hit success is very crucial indeed. Having a high dodge stat (I supplement mine with gear) can be very valuable as well, especially against those insane damage dealing Swashbucklers and their blasted Ripostes. Getting hit by a Swash, and having your 4 vengeance strikes kick in and miss, can surely ruin your Bucc's day. That is one time when I am happy to not strike back. Also, I wanted to note that for a Bucc. don't underestimate the importance of these powers:

Vicious Charge (multiple available)- w/ +50% Damage/-50% Accuracy to enemy for 10 rounds (w/ Glancing)
Brutal Charge (mult. available)- w/ +25% Damage/-50% Accuracy to enemy for 5 rounds (w/ Glancing)
Brutal Strike (Bucc. only)- w/ +25% Damage/-50% Accuracy to enemy for 1 round

Even though those powers are not as high damaging as Assassin's strike, that decrease in the enemies' Accuracy comes in big time handy. That is why I often use multiples of these powers in succession early in the battle (even before my Assassin's Strikes) to try to help make the enemy miss and hopefully avoid my own damage.

Nice tip with the Health being, in essence, a form of armor against all classes. There's no such thing as having too much health, at least in my opinion.

Thanks again for the great and helpful tips DuncanRoland. Be sure to keep them coming- because we all need all the help we can get out there in the Spiral.
Now tell me why many players underestimate the power of a buccaneer? as you amply demonstrated a Bucc is not to be laughed off! In fact a bucc with Highland call and a levi and Reckless Frenzy can be a nightmare to face ( I know, he took out Bonnie and Zeena in one round )!

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Now to post a strategy guide for Swashbucklers, although I already posted one on another forum, I'll just sort of re-post it here: I myself am a max Swashbuckler as previously said, and I go a LITTLE weird in terms of Swashbucklers. Of course the obvious things are for the traditional swashbucklers: Get a bunch of assassin strike gear and vicious charge gear (I don't), use all musketeers (Which I do not do also, both zeena and bonnie aren't really a good filling of companions, one of the 2 is just fine) And just attack whatever (I notice it way too much and it costs them a game more often than not.) Well I act differently in many ways. First off, I am moreover with more structure, and I will tell you how: My companion set is Bonnie, El Toro, and Hawkules, in that order. Yup, no Zeena and Nausica. But not because I wanted to be not mainstream, I have a few reasons: Toro's espirit privateer buff. El toro is a blessing to anyone who isn't a privateer and uses melee. And bonnie has a reduce dodge blast power, which many people ignore for some reason... And with my call to arms accuracy boost, hawk pretty much knocks everything around with tier 2 vengeance strike & relentless. I of course wait until the opponent gets within range (in houses that means right away) and I use toro and my buff, and use bonnie's shot when I believe the most folks possible are in range. Bonnie has quick draw 2 and burst fire 2, yup, no overwatch, as mentioned in my last post and I ran out of lovely characters to type. quick draw allows her to win every gun fight between the big 3 overused muskets. Must I say who? And el toro is debatable on epics, but I use relentless 2 and riposte 2 to assist in Hawkules's quest to knock everything around. Now for myself: I got elusive, along with gear with a lot of dodge, and some damage. Now I just stand back the first few rounds and use poison on the first round sometimes because the opponent is bunched up. Now I'm running out of characters again. Lovely.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
Now tell me why many players underestimate the power of a buccaneer? as you amply demonstrated a Bucc is not to be laughed off! In fact a bucc with Highland call and a levi and Reckless Frenzy can be a nightmare to face ( I know, he took out Bonnie and Zeena in one round )!
WoW One round to take out B & Z- that's EPICALLY impressive. I agree Esperanza that you can't underestimate a Buccaneer or any class for that matter. Any class with a capable player behind the helm, plus the right gear/powers and strategies, can be a formidable opponent. Like you said, if a Buccaneer protects himself first, via Levi's/Valor's Fortress/Valor's Armor, uses Highland Charge and then Reckless- that is just one strategy that can lead to a Bucc's success in battle, even when thought to be 'outgunned'.

I actually really like the class despite often being seen as not so desirable by many other players. You have no idea how many times I have come across another maxed player (usually a swashbuckler or privateer) and they give me the EMOTE laugh, or this one that I have heard and read ample times, "A Buccaneer, seriously?", followed by "So, sorry for you dude!" Those are the times that I wish I was more into PvP just to maybe have the last laugh, but PvP just isn't for me- even if I thought I could beat the best of the best (which I am not actually saying). Nope, still not for me.

But I am a big fan of heavy duty melee warriors throughout history, so that is what drew me to the class in the first place. As a buccaneer you can acquire high health, high armor, decent dodge and accuracy, pretty high damage, countless offensive & defensive powers and take advantage of the bonuses from some of the hardest hitting weapons in the game, not to mention some of the best armor as well.

But, I am a firm believer that overall it is absolutely more about the player behind the pirate, employing proper strategies, equipping the right gear w/powers, proper training, using companions effectively and understanding the ins and outs of the battle and damage systems- more so than it is about the class itself. OH, knowledge of epic talents and a full comprehension of how epic chains work and how they can be countered, helps a lot too.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DuncanRoland The E... on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
Now to post a strategy guide for Swashbucklers, although I already posted one on another forum, I'll just sort of re-post it here: I myself am a max Swashbuckler as previously said, and I go a LITTLE weird in terms of Swashbucklers. Of course the obvious things are for the traditional swashbucklers: Get a bunch of assassin strike gear and vicious charge gear (I don't), use all musketeers (Which I do not do also, both zeena and bonnie aren't really a good filling of companions, one of the 2 is just fine) And just attack whatever (I notice it way too much and it costs them a game more often than not.) Well I act differently in many ways. First off, I am moreover with more structure, and I will tell you how: My companion set is Bonnie, El Toro, and Hawkules, in that order. Yup, no Zeena and Nausica. But not because I wanted to be not mainstream, I have a few reasons: Toro's espirit privateer buff. El toro is a blessing to anyone who isn't a privateer and uses melee. And bonnie has a reduce dodge blast power, which many people ignore for some reason... And with my call to arms accuracy boost, hawk pretty much knocks everything around with tier 2 vengeance strike & relentless. I of course wait until the opponent gets within range (in houses that means right away) and I use toro and my buff, and use bonnie's shot when I believe the most folks possible are in range. Bonnie has quick draw 2 and burst fire 2, yup, no overwatch, as mentioned in my last post and I ran out of lovely characters to type. quick draw allows her to win every gun fight between the big 3 overused muskets. Must I say who? And el toro is debatable on epics, but I use relentless 2 and riposte 2 to assist in Hawkules's quest to knock everything around. Now for myself: I got elusive, along with gear with a lot of dodge, and some damage. Now I just stand back the first few rounds and use poison on the first round sometimes because the opponent is bunched up. Now I'm running out of characters again. Lovely.
Great tips Duncan. Might I give you a little one? Quote your last post in your posts here. If you are quoting someone you get an extra 1000 characters.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DuncanRoland The E... on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
Just a quick helpful (hopefully) tip DuncanRoland. If you quote a post (your last one or whomever's) you will get 1000 more characters to add to your post. Not Quoting = 2000 characters, Quoting = 3000. It helps a lot when you have a lot to share in your post. Just thought it might help, if you were not already aware.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:
Just a quick helpful (hopefully) tip DuncanRoland. If you quote a post (your last one or whomever's) you will get 1000 more characters to add to your post. Not Quoting = 2000 characters, Quoting = 3000. It helps a lot when you have a lot to share in your post. Just thought it might help, if you were not already aware.
Well I didn't know, so thank both you and Chrissy the Blesser, I'm going to look around a bit for the other classes due to the fact I haven't seen them in action much, and knowing that quoting is much more useful than it sounds, I'm gonna do that all the time now. Again, thank you both.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DuncanRoland The E... on Apr 24, 2014 wrote:
Well I didn't know, so thank both you and Chrissy the Blesser, I'm going to look around a bit for the other classes due to the fact I haven't seen them in action much, and knowing that quoting is much more useful than it sounds, I'm gonna do that all the time now. Again, thank you both.
You are more than welcome, that's what we be here for. Keep the great tips and strategies coming, however big or small they seem to be.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 24, 2014 wrote:
You are more than welcome, that's what we be here for. Keep the great tips and strategies coming, however big or small they seem to be.
Well. This is somewhat of an advanced strategy. And is hard to explain. But ill try my best. Ok there are some annoying talents out there. (Owatch. Hold the line. etc...) But there is a way around them. If an ally is on a space in front of you where the ability would trigger. if you run THOUGH THEM to your desired space. You will IGNORE the trigger that hapens when you move into the enemy's epic talent space. Example. Hold the line wil not trigger if you run through an ally. Regardless if you move into another space with them. But note this ignore factor only applies to powers that WOULD AFFECT you in that specific area. If you get caught by someone else. Well thats a differnt story. But thought i would might as well share my info with everyone :D

like i said. I apologize if this was confusing. It is hard to explain. And best way is to SHOW instead if talking bout it. If you need a demonstration. Just give me a few days in advance to meet when and where. Ill do my best to help you out. :D