Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirates Helping Pirates, (PHP)

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Quick Pearl on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
Crossfire works the same way with Flanking. Yes, even though two characters with Crossfire are long ranged, they must be adjacent to the enemy... which I don't see a point in if the units are ranged. /:
Thank you Pearl for that info on Crossfire...I had wondered at what range it would activate and it does seem strange that both ranged crew members actually have to be adjacent to the enemy. Come to think of it, the whole idea of Crossfire seems a bit strange to me. I know that I for one, would not like to be standing directly across from someone firing a gun at an object in between the two of us. Unless of course it's the Sharpshooting Foxy Lady- she would never miss her mark.

Flanking- with melee weapons being used, now that I can totally understand.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Logan Sharp on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:
well, the spacing on this things off :(

anyway, the point is, to make an X with your companions surrounding the enemy
That's OK, we got your very good point. I too have tried posted things, trying to show a bit of a diagram or hoping they would be presented a certain way, only to be surprised by what actually showed up when it posted. But, making an X, like you said, is a great and easy way to put it. So, thank you for the extra info and description.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
secret counters?

hello everyone, now in MOST CASES this is the best way to effectively battle against enemies
enemy class >>> what you should use against that class
it works very well, because it seems like these classes COUNTER certain ones, shown below

(numbers refer to lower context)
Musketeer >>>Buccaneer, 1
Swashbuckler >>> Musketeer, 2
Buccaneer >>> Swashbuckler, 3
Privateer >>> really has no counter, 4
Witchdoctor >>> Musketeer, 5

1, how do you counter someone with a lot of accuracy? take it away of course, Bucks have strikes that reduce the accuracy of muskets, aka their lifeline in battle. because everyone knows, a poor accuracy musketeer, is a dead one.

2, look at number 1, but change accuracy to DODGE, muskets can remove 25/50/75% of someones dodge just with a single attack...yuck if your a SB and rely on dodges to keep you alive

3, bucks don't pay that much attention to having accuracy/dodge (remember, GENERALIZED) which means swashbucklers with riposte and high dodge just hammer these people

4, the privateer, i really cant seem to put a counter on these guys, their balanced overall, healing properties, buffs, to me, they counter no one, and have no counter

5, Muskets can rest easy fighting one of these. Just out range them, and since they have to be NEXT to you to activate their 2x and 3x powers, just run away again (note muskets PLEASE get fast ability from the SB trainer at least once to make this very effective)

where am i getting this knowledge?
allow me to introduce myself:
Logan Sharp, lvl 65 SB
Clever Logan Strong, lvl 65 MK
Silent Logan Emmet, lvl 65 PT

the answer is playing a lot and learning about how the game works :)

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Gruesome Richard on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
To now continue...

Now, to apply this meaning to the description, if your Will damage or bonus, however you'd like to call it, is 20, that means that Fighting Fervor will add 20 damage to your hit. And with Tower of Iron Will, this would add 20 Armor and Resistance to your stats, from what I've experienced. This is where Juju comes to play. Great Juju buffs your Will up by 100% of your BASE Will, assuming your Privateer is level 65, that number would be 70. Now, your Will is 170, increasing your Will bonus by 14, totaling 34 Will Bonus. *insert lines 1-3 here*. And VOILA! A seemingly complicated yet visually simple strategy that can happen in simply 2 turns :)

I apologize for the Privateer-Centered post, I seem to have mastered that class above all else, despite my first pirate being a Buccaneer, but if you guys would like, I can also try to make another strategy to try and test out for your pirates *to all whom read this post*.

* The only thing Fear does is hold you back*
*That, or your overly-protective whom is deathly afraid of you getting injured... Love you mom *

Cunning Ronan Vane
Buffing ( Probably has been discussed already )

Now, for those whom are experienced, this seems like a simple topic, but I have seen many Privateers as high as the 50's whom never touch their useful buffs.

Buffing is perhaps 30% of the battle. For Privateers, it's arguably 90% ish. Buffs can easily tilt the battle to your advantage if used correctly and with strategy. There are tons of buffs in the games, and I'll review over the ones I know of.

Offensive Buffs
These buffs are the ones that many Pirates use near the beginning of battle. These include buffs that increase your damage output as well as slightly reduce the enemy's damage output, depending on the buff and their class. Let's take my favorite buff, Great Juju, for example. This buff increases the stat of use of any surrounding companions/allies/pets. If a companion like Bonnie Anne were to be next to you, her Agility stat will be affected by this buff, increasing her Base Agility by 100%, thus increasing her damage output and possibly help her resist damage from enemies, again depending on their class. There are some exceptions to class and stat increased. From my experience, Lucky Jack Russell uses Strength for his weapon, not Will, presumably from the fact he uses a "strengthy" looking weapon. I know the Marleybone Swordsman companion (Don't remember the name) also uses Strength, despite being a Privateer companion. Many other buffs also don't require your companions/friends/allies/pets. Buffs that fall into this category are those that only buff one Core stat such as Whale's Might which buffs Strength only to those whom use Strength.

Defensive Buffs
These buffs are definitely ones you'll want to have laying around. These buffs are what help you and your team to help resist damage. These are definitely buffs you'll want to use against tough enemies whom you know will deal some serious damage. The most prominent ones are the powers from both the Buccaneers and the Privateers. Buccaneers get a series of defensive powers to help defend their title, The Tank of the Pirates, the most prominent being Leviathan's Call. ( All of their defensive powers can be given via rare no auction gear drops ) this power halves the incoming damage from Guns and Melee, but not from Magic. Useful when fighting Zeena and her comrades, or Rooke and his intimidating crew! Privateers also have 3 defensive buffs, but 2 of those 3 are definitely the most useful: Valor's Fortress and Valor Shield. Valor's Fortress halves all incoming damage from almost every power ( I believe Witchdoctor powers are the exception, but I am not too sure ). Valor's Shield Absorbs 5x the max damage of the enemy. Ie: Enemy has 150-230 damage Range. Valor's Shield absorbs 1150 damage + extra from Will. Pretty handy, eh?

"Luck" based buffs
This is where all the Privateer buffs can go into, as well as the Swashbuckler's Critical Chance increase buffs as well. These buffs are handy to use, but not a 100% guarantee to be successful...

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Gruesome Richard on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
To now continue...

Now, to apply this meaning to the description, if your Will damage or bonus, however you'd like to call it, is 20, that means that Fighting Fervor will add 20 damage to your hit. And with Tower of Iron Will, this would add 20 Armor and Resistance to your stats, from what I've experienced. This is where Juju comes to play. Great Juju buffs your Will up by 100% of your BASE Will, assuming your Privateer is level 65, that number would be 70. Now, your Will is 170, increasing your Will bonus by 14, totaling 34 Will Bonus. *insert lines 1-3 here*. And VOILA! A seemingly complicated yet visually simple strategy that can happen in simply 2 turns :)

I apologize for the Privateer-Centered post, I seem to have mastered that class above all else, despite my first pirate being a Buccaneer, but if you guys would like, I can also try to make another strategy to try and test out for your pirates *to all whom read this post*.

* The only thing Fear does is hold you back*
*That, or your overly-protective whom is deathly afraid of you getting injured... Love you mom *

Cunning Ronan Vane
continuing...

To explain a bit further, say a Privateer uses Discipline, a +2 critical increase buff. It's nice to have a buff like that, but in the end, it all boils down to luck. It's not a guarantee that you will successfully critical each time, but it's still a very handy buff to use. Another example is Battle Zeal. Battle Zeal increases you and your companions Accuracy & Dodge by 50% of your & your companions Base dodge, respectively. Once again, nice to have a nice buff like that, but it still boils down to luck. You may dodge more and hit more, but you most likely won't land every hit or dodge every hit. But these buffs are very nice to have, because it's always fun to play around with luck.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Gruesome Richard on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:

Now, for those whom are experienced, this seems like a simple topic, but I have seen many Privateers as high as the 50's whom never touch their useful buffs.

Buffing is perhaps 30% of the battle. For Privateers, it's arguably 90% ish. Buffs can easily tilt the battle to your advantage if used correctly and with strategy. There are tons of buffs in the games, and I'll review over the ones I know of.

Offensive Buffs
These buffs are the ones that many Pirates use near the beginning of battle. These include buffs that increase your damage output as well as slightly reduce the enemy's damage output, depending on the buff and their class. Let's take my favorite buff, Great Juju, for example. This buff increases the stat of use of any surrounding companions/allies/pets. If a companion like Bonnie Anne were to be next to you, her Agility stat will be affected by this buff, increasing her Base Agility by 100%, thus increasing her damage output and possibly help her resist damage from enemies, again depending on their class. There are some exceptions to class and stat increased. From my experience, Lucky Jack Russell uses Strength for his weapon, not Will, presumably from the fact he uses a "strengthy" looking weapon. I know the Marleybone Swordsman companion (Don't remember the name) also uses Strength, despite being a Privateer companion. Many other buffs also don't require your companions/friends/allies/pets. Buffs that fall into this category are those that only buff one Core stat such as Whale's Might which buffs Strength only to those whom use Strength.

Defensive Buffs
These buffs are definitely ones you'll want to have laying around. These buffs are what help you and your team to help resist damage. These are definitely buffs you'll want to use against tough enemies whom you know will deal some serious damage. The most prominent ones are the powers from both the Buccaneers and the Privateers. Buccaneers get a series of defensive powers to help defend their title, The Tank of the Pirates, the most prominent being Leviathan's Call. ( All of their defensive powers can be given via rare no auction gear drops ) this power halves the incoming damage from Guns and Melee, but not from Magic. Useful when fighting Zeena and her comrades, or Rooke and his intimidating crew! Privateers also have 3 defensive buffs, but 2 of those 3 are definitely the most useful: Valor's Fortress and Valor Shield. Valor's Fortress halves all incoming damage from almost every power ( I believe Witchdoctor powers are the exception, but I am not too sure ). Valor's Shield Absorbs 5x the max damage of the enemy. Ie: Enemy has 150-230 damage Range. Valor's Shield absorbs 1150 damage + extra from Will. Pretty handy, eh?

"Luck" based buffs
This is where all the Privateer buffs can go into, as well as the Swashbuckler's Critical Chance increase buffs as well. These buffs are handy to use, but not a 100% guarantee to be successful...
Whoops! Forgot a line in the Offensive Buffs section.

Many other buffs also don't require your companions/friends/allies/pets to be right next to you. Those affected outside the range are only those whom use strength.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
I got convinced to come here and contribute to the message board, so I'll post strategies for PvP for separate classes. I notice the majority of these strategies and therefore are not my own but do work. Also I'll give strategies I use myself in the game or random PvP's... OR ones that would be worth experimenting with for the
right people (Basically not me.) So expect posts. A LOT OF 'EM. and I get involved in my posts...
If that's a bad thing. So my posts may cause your brain to fizz out after reading for an hour. (Not really.)
But kinda like this one. AND THIS IS JUST AN INTRODUCTION!

Skinny Duncan Roland LVL 65 Swashbuckler. (Is known to run around in Black & White...)
Endgamer

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Logan Sharp on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
secret counters?

hello everyone, now in MOST CASES this is the best way to effectively battle against enemies
enemy class >>> what you should use against that class
it works very well, because it seems like these classes COUNTER certain ones, shown below

(numbers refer to lower context)
Musketeer >>>Buccaneer, 1
Swashbuckler >>> Musketeer, 2
Buccaneer >>> Swashbuckler, 3
Privateer >>> really has no counter, 4
Witchdoctor >>> Musketeer, 5

1, how do you counter someone with a lot of accuracy? take it away of course, Bucks have strikes that reduce the accuracy of muskets, aka their lifeline in battle. because everyone knows, a poor accuracy musketeer, is a dead one.

2, look at number 1, but change accuracy to DODGE, muskets can remove 25/50/75% of someones dodge just with a single attack...yuck if your a SB and rely on dodges to keep you alive

3, bucks don't pay that much attention to having accuracy/dodge (remember, GENERALIZED) which means swashbucklers with riposte and high dodge just hammer these people

4, the privateer, i really cant seem to put a counter on these guys, their balanced overall, healing properties, buffs, to me, they counter no one, and have no counter

5, Muskets can rest easy fighting one of these. Just out range them, and since they have to be NEXT to you to activate their 2x and 3x powers, just run away again (note muskets PLEASE get fast ability from the SB trainer at least once to make this very effective)

where am i getting this knowledge?
allow me to introduce myself:
Logan Sharp, lvl 65 SB
Clever Logan Strong, lvl 65 MK
Silent Logan Emmet, lvl 65 PT

the answer is playing a lot and learning about how the game works :)
Thanks for the excellent tips on countering the specific P101 classes, Logan. Those are very good strategies and tips that can definitely serve as a guideline for those looking for an edge against a certain class. Like you stated, these are general strategies that can be followed and can of course be altered or 'tweaked' depending on what an opponent is equipped with and trained in.

For example- I have a max . that has extra sets of gear for better dealing with certain classes. One set I use to equip my with very high accuracy and dodge gear against a , to help stand a better chance. The high accuracy will make it more likely that your strikes will hit, thus avoiding those high damaging Ripostes. The high dodge will help (or is supposed to) prevent the from stringing together successful chains of Riposte and preventing triggering your own 's chain of vengeance strikes from kicking in to trigger those Ripostes. Vengeance strikes can be a s worst enemy against a . So, if you can boost your acc.&dodge and decrease the 's accuracy in any way possible, you may prevent the from landing in the first place and triggering a chain. That is why KI gave s powers like Brutal Charge, Brutal Strike and Vicious Charge which increase your damage output and at the same time decrease a target's accuracy. If your has gear with those extra powers and high accuracy and high dodge, it can help a lot against s. The only problem is you are playing with fire because two of those powers give you glancing blows which are just another chance for the to dodge and inflict major damage with a Riposte.

But as good as a is at dodging, they can't dodge a Power, and if you are equipped with plenty of Vicious and Brutal Charges, you will greatly decrease their accuracy and add some oomph to your own s attacks. Adding a huge boost in accuracy and dodge to your 's gear will help immensely. If you add to that, say...El Toro's Espirit de Corp w/ accuracy buff and increased dodge (or any other Accuracy buff like Call to Arms) and Bonnie Anne's Scatterblast, with decreased dodge then it can help negate a advantages over a . In essence if you avoid triggering long chains and make it a one hit, per turn, per side- then you stand a better chance. Sure a does higher damage but a usually has much higher health and armor (which brings those damage #s down). So, while the actual damage #s may be greater for the , the ratio aspect in regards to health #s and armor can even it out. Factoring in all of the above can truly even out the odds that much more.

Again, this is just one example where gear, training and companion usage (w/ powers) can greatly influence and possibly negate any advantage the other counter class has to offer. KI has done a great job making powers and gear available to all classes. With experimenting and strategy, just about any class can counter the other ones.

But again, your general guidelines are spot on and are great tips to keep in mind.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Gruesome Richard on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:

Offensive Buffs

Defensive Buffs

"Luck" based buffs
Excellent tips and explanation of the different categories of Buffs, Gruesome Richard. Very well thought out, well delivered and well done. Just wanted to say great job and thanks for providing the great and very thorough info.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DuncanRoland The E... on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
I got convinced to come here and contribute to the message board, so I'll post strategies for PvP for separate classes. I notice the majority of these strategies and therefore are not my own but do work. Also I'll give strategies I use myself in the game or random PvP's... OR ones that would be worth experimenting with for the
right people (Basically not me.) So expect posts. A LOT OF 'EM. and I get involved in my posts...
If that's a bad thing. So my posts may cause your brain to fizz out after reading for an hour. (Not really.)
But kinda like this one. AND THIS IS JUST AN INTRODUCTION!

Skinny Duncan Roland LVL 65 Swashbuckler. (Is known to run around in Black & White...)
Endgamer
Glad to have you aboard the PHP Thread, Duncan...and welcome.

PvP related strategies and tips are more than welcome and encouraged, so we are glad you decided to come and offer yours. I don't do a lot of PvP, but so many out there do and they deserve to have the best tips and strategies made available to them. Any tip that helps out a fellow pirate is very well received by all of us here.

And don't worry about providing too many posts...the more the merrier! Same goes for getting too involved or descriptive with your posts, we have a pretty smart and well educated band of pirates on the boards- so, I think their brains won't do an Old Scratch. It's never a bad thing to provide helpful, detailed and involved tips and strategies.

So again, welcome and thank you, Duncan and we look forward to your input.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
Thanks for the excellent tips on countering the specific P101 classes, Logan. Those are very good strategies and tips that can definitely serve as a guideline for those looking for an edge against a certain class. Like you stated, these are general strategies that can be followed and can of course be altered or 'tweaked' depending on what an opponent is equipped with and trained in.

For example- I have a max . that has extra sets of gear for better dealing with certain classes. One set I use to equip my with very high accuracy and dodge gear against a , to help stand a better chance. The high accuracy will make it more likely that your strikes will hit, thus avoiding those high damaging Ripostes. The high dodge will help (or is supposed to) prevent the from stringing together successful chains of Riposte and preventing triggering your own 's chain of vengeance strikes from kicking in to trigger those Ripostes. Vengeance strikes can be a s worst enemy against a . So, if you can boost your acc.&dodge and decrease the 's accuracy in any way possible, you may prevent the from landing in the first place and triggering a chain. That is why KI gave s powers like Brutal Charge, Brutal Strike and Vicious Charge which increase your damage output and at the same time decrease a target's accuracy. If your has gear with those extra powers and high accuracy and high dodge, it can help a lot against s. The only problem is you are playing with fire because two of those powers give you glancing blows which are just another chance for the to dodge and inflict major damage with a Riposte.

But as good as a is at dodging, they can't dodge a Power, and if you are equipped with plenty of Vicious and Brutal Charges, you will greatly decrease their accuracy and add some oomph to your own s attacks. Adding a huge boost in accuracy and dodge to your 's gear will help immensely. If you add to that, say...El Toro's Espirit de Corp w/ accuracy buff and increased dodge (or any other Accuracy buff like Call to Arms) and Bonnie Anne's Scatterblast, with decreased dodge then it can help negate a advantages over a . In essence if you avoid triggering long chains and make it a one hit, per turn, per side- then you stand a better chance. Sure a does higher damage but a usually has much higher health and armor (which brings those damage #s down). So, while the actual damage #s may be greater for the , the ratio aspect in regards to health #s and armor can even it out. Factoring in all of the above can truly even out the odds that much more.

Again, this is just one example where gear, training and companion usage (w/ powers) can greatly influence and possibly negate any advantage the other counter class has to offer. KI has done a great job making powers and gear available to all classes. With experimenting and strategy, just about any class can counter the other ones.

But again, your general guidelines are spot on and are great tips to keep in mind.
Thanks for the positive feedback Valk. I understand how hard it is at times for pirates to beat certain classes and such. I'll admit i was one of those pirates at a time until a max helped me out and told me to look for certain weaknesses in other classes. So ever since then I've noticed all the strengths and weaknesses for classes and changed gear/companions accordingly. Note: this works VERY WELL for story line questing, PVP is another story because the PLAYERS personality comes into play... But mainly for story line. Since your enemy cant change who they are because its pre set. This gives you a major advantage over certain classes like buccaneers to decide that swashbucklers are best to go toe2toe with them. And likewise for any other classes. But most of my posts are to help other pirates who are stuck in story line mode and need an edge over their opponents. I'll try to add a lot more info to this matter. But please let me know if i can help in any way about the game. Whether its questions or general feedback. I love strategy games and always try to find a weak spot in the enemy and expose it as much as possible.

With that said. Just let me know if your having trouble with anything and ill do my best to give feedback.
Thanks everyone. And smooth sailing me hearties!

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
Battle strategies
Here are my key strategies to success. Brought to you in my version of funny.

1 survival of the fittest aka don't eat chips while in battle; go for the guy with the lowest health. Powers play a important role in this like if has repo or vengeance strike Ect Ect Ect See num two
2 I shoot you and you we'll... Just get shot. If you have a musketeer companion make them go for the enemy's with the powers (see above)
3 the one guy wonder; go for the same guy who has the lowest health. It makes it go faster and leaving more time in your pocket, treasure chest backpack whatever. Just know you have more time.
4 don't beat a dead (red sash) horse; if a guys going to die don't stack all your attacks on him, just leave one or two on for good measure.
5 ITS A MIRACLE! ... Ohhh or not; If a friend or companions about to die heal them. Unless it's not worth it and there just going to die on the next round or two.
6 EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC... Dang out of epics :( ; use your guaranteed hits wisely. Use them on bosses and people with high health. Not ones with high yellow or red.
7 I'm batman; surprise attacks are key. Use walk in shadows then leap out and attack (Like batman)
More on the way I'm running out of room. Till next time

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
TheDragonspyrePira... on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
Battle strategies

1 survival of the fittest aka don't eat chips while in battle; go for the guy with the lowest health. Powers play a important role in this like if has repo or vengeance strike Ect Ect Ect See num two
2 I shoot you and you we'll... Just get shot. If you have a musketeer companion make them go for the enemy's with the powers (see above)
3 the one guy wonder; go for the same guy who has the lowest health. It makes it go faster and leaving more time in your pocket, treasure chest backpack whatever. Just know you have more time.
4 don't beat a dead (red sash) horse; if a guys going to die don't stack all your attacks on him, just leave one or two on for good measure.
5 ITS A MIRACLE! ... Ohhh or not; If a friend or companions about to die heal them. Unless it's not worth it and there just going to die on the next round or two.
6 EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC... Dang out of epics :( ; use your guaranteed hits wisely. Use them on bosses and people with high health. Not ones with high yellow or red.
7 I'm batman; surprise attacks are key. Use walk in shadows then leap out and attack (Like batman)

I love your style. I learn so much from you or I am nodding in agreement with shared strategies and then you make me giggle at the same time. Delightfully fun yet wise reading. Well done sir.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Battle strategies

Hello Jack and welcome to the PHP thread.

Thanks for the great tips and for adding a much needed funny spin on them- that version of funny was right up my alley. So that's why I kept struggling in battle and my crew was so sluggish....it was those darn chips this whole time!

Great tips with #s 1&2- use a class of companion that can't trigger the targets epic talents. An attacking Musketeer won't trigger a melee targets first strike, repel boarders, riposte, vengeance strike, relentless, possibly second chance etc. And vice versa- a melee unit with those talents won't trigger a ranged fighter's equivalent talents (quick draw, overwatch (if already adjacent or hidden), quick adjust, true grit, burst fire, etc. and witchdoctor's equivs.

Another nice tip with #4- Only using 1 or 2 on a nearly 'dead' enemy is all you need. Hopefully the 1st member finishes them and if not the 2nd surely should. One thing I try to keep in mind is to get the most out of finish off an enemy. If possible, always try to use a crew member with a 'bonus' attack via an epic talent. If you have melee fighters and can attack the nearly dead target and still be adjacent to another enemy, try to use a melee fighter with blade storm. If 2 or more crew members have blade storm, try to use one that also has relentless and second chance talents. That way if the 1st attack misses, you get second chance- and with a successful finishing blow you will get blade storm and then possible relentless to boot. Or if you hit and finish with the 1st strike you will get blade storm, maybe relentless- if that is blocked or dodge, than your second chance will kick in. There are multiple ways for the chains to carry out, but the point is to get the most out of your crew and their talents and chain together as many 'bonus' strikes as possible from those epic talents. And the same can be said for finishing an enemy with your ranged fighters possessing double tap/quick adjust/burst fire or Mojo Rising/Jobu's Ruse/Mojo Echo- get the most out of those epic talents and extra attacks as possible.

And for #5, I agree completely. It is so easy to get a companion back after a battle, that most of the time it isn't really worth using a healing power that your pirate could use- and like you said, especially if the chances are high that the companion is not going to make it much longer anyways. This is especially true if you are in a long dungeon with multiple battles. Your pirate needs to finish the dungeon at all costs and more than likely, even if you have to 'sacrifice' a companion, you have other powerful, highly capable companions to help out in the next battle...or a pretty, shiny blue bottle waiting.

Lastly in regards to #7- LOVE the Batman reference. Very cool

Again, thank you very much for providing these great tips and for your valuable (and funny) input- we certainly appreciate it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Just a little tip to hopefully help some from loosing their minds

Ok, so this is just something that may seem pretty obvious. But, that being said, I admit that I made this mistake before. Most players by now have at least a few maxed pirates (even a max one for every class) and are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new content, world(s) and to see and try all that KI has shown to us in the recent sneak peaks. But, there are some (like myself) that haven't been playing P101 for as long or just don't have enough time to have every class maxed out- so this may affect them more.

You may have a lower level or even mid level pirate made and realize, 'you know what- I think I'll start over with a new pirate'. This is especially true if you are fairly new to P101 and start to learn the game and think that it would be beneficial to delete and start over with your increased knowledge of the game. Just remember this. Before you delete that pirate, make sure to place any desirable pirate gear, pets, mounts, and/or ship gear into your shared bank- or you will loose it when you delete the pirate. This includes transferring the contents of your bank into your shared bank and going through all of your pirate's ships and unequipping all of your ship gear.

I made this mistake once with a pirate that hadn't gotten too far into the game- I think maybe a level 9 or so. But, my max pirate had farmed for him and provided him some great starter gear. This included full sets of gear and jewelry, all with powers- for starter level, 5+ and 15+. I wasn't thinking and I typed in that YOHOHO! and as soon as I entered the game with my new pirate, I realized what I had done and that my new pirate would be looking at an empty bank and shared bank. I probably could have contacted support but I just sucked it up and farmed again.

So, be careful when deleting a pirate that has progressed even a little bit into the game. You could be deleting of some decent starter gear without realizing it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This is not a battle oriented tip, more like over - all game play tip: I've noticed many new players who say " I won't do that side quest because : not enough exp / gold, no companion or pet reward. I strongly encourage everyone to do side quests. You get more from them than you realize; more exp. more gold and sometimes drops like gear and pets. My SB did the "Making Tracks" side quest for Mr. Smiley in Marleybone; The one where you have to go allll the way back to Cool Ranch. Guess what I received as a drop, a crown shop item! Yes, I am now the proud owner of a Wind - Jammer Tavern game! So don't discount side quests if the reward isn't obvious!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I don't know if anyone has covered this yet or not, but I have a strategy to defeat Scylla in Aquila - The ship I used at the time was a Marleybone galleon, I did have Crown shop gear on it as I recall Wheel of the Jade emperor, That Sea serpent horn, and armor. Step 1 make sure your mojo is full, 2. have at least one friend on board to take care of Scylla's traps and spawns. 3. only use the mojo when your ships health is at that last 300 pts. 4. JUST KEEP BLASTIN"!!!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
This is not a battle oriented tip, more like over - all game play tip: I've noticed many new players who say " I won't do that side quest because : not enough exp / gold, no companion or pet reward. I strongly encourage everyone to do side quests. You get more from them than you realize; more exp. more gold and sometimes drops like gear and pets. My SB did the "Making Tracks" side quest for Mr. Smiley in Marleybone; The one where you have to go allll the way back to Cool Ranch. Guess what I received as a drop, a crown shop item! Yes, I am now the proud owner of a Wind - Jammer Tavern game! So don't discount side quests if the reward isn't obvious!
Thank you, anecorbie, for the joining the thread and providing a great tip. I couldn't agree more. You can often be pleasantly surprised by an 'extra, unexpected reward' that comes from doing those side quests. You may just stumble across some of the items you are speaking of. I too have been the recipient of a few bonus prizes just because I chose to venture of the beaten track. I believe that I may have gotten Wind Jammer while in the midst of side questing. Or you may even get that piece of gear with a certain power attached, that you have been desperately searching for- all by accident.

That also brings up the point, don't overlook farming an early game boss if you are looking for a pet, mini game or some nice home decor. I farmed Fin Dorsal in Gullet with my max Buccaneer, and within maybe a 1 1/2 - 2 hour time frame, my pirate received a couple of pets (orchid chameleons), a mini game (Coin Drop), some really nice housing items and full sets of level 5+ gear all with powers for my other up and coming pirates...I know I am a bit slow. Not a bad start for my young pirates beginning their adventures in the Spiral.

In addition, like you hinted at- often the initial XP or gold rewards for a side quest my be pretty meager but, it may lead to a couple of extra side quests with greater XP rewards...or even a nice little Imperial Lion Pet (hint, hint- MooShu Mystic).

So, again I agree that those side quests can be much more rewarding than they first appear to be. Not to mention they can bump your pirates level up a couple notches (especially early on) and your companions in the process- possibly making a rough go of things, just a tad bit easier.

Thank you very much for the tip and input, and again welcome to the PHP thread.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
I don't know if anyone has covered this yet or not, but I have a strategy to defeat Scylla in Aquila - The ship I used at the time was a Marleybone galleon, I did have Crown shop gear on it as I recall Wheel of the Jade emperor, That Sea serpent horn, and armor. Step 1 make sure your mojo is full, 2. have at least one friend on board to take care of Scylla's traps and spawns. 3. only use the mojo when your ships health is at that last 300 pts. 4. JUST KEEP BLASTIN"!!!
Oooh, you are right about those traps! Having someone there to CLEAR THE DECKS, makes things so much easier. It can make the difference between a relatively easy Scylla battle and a near nightmare. And if you are going at it solo, just make sure to take a break after destroying the 1st and 3rd head if you need to. Just retreat to where Scylla can't reach you with attacks, anchor your ship, hit TAB, clear the tokens, heal your ship and jump right back in with a 'brand new' ship- Scylla will be there waiting for you, minus a head of course.

Thank you for another great tip.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 28, 2014 wrote:
Oooh, you are right about those traps! Having someone there to CLEAR THE DECKS, makes things so much easier. It can make the difference between a relatively easy Scylla battle and a near nightmare. And if you are going at it solo, just make sure to take a break after destroying the 1st and 3rd head if you need to. Just retreat to where Scylla can't reach you with attacks, anchor your ship, hit TAB, clear the tokens, heal your ship and jump right back in with a 'brand new' ship- Scylla will be there waiting for you, minus a head of course.

Thank you for another great tip.
Wow, I wish I had known that when I first fought Scylla! I did solo it and it took me 6 times before I got past the Scylla spawn ( I'm very stubborn ) and this was before the Henchman option! My other pirates had less of a nightmare when fighting Scylla. Thanks for the welcome!

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
Battle strategies

8 say hello to my little friend(s) get friends, it's the best and easiest way to win, it got me through the game.
9 (meant to be said In a pirate terminator voice) I'll be back - _ - -- if you want to win farm for good gear, or try your luck in the bazaar, (funny story I got that ultra rare snake hat from Pariss and accidentally sold it because I thought it was ugly XD)
10 get up stand up, fight for your right... To not Die! (beastie boys Easter egg, except it's "to party") sometimes your going to have to fight. And if it's an important one use a mojo, which brings me to my next one
11 if you like mojo juice, and fighting in the rain ... (Said in surfer voice) use it wisely man. (Another song Easter egg but forgot band) only use mojo if your best companions are dead, only then.
12 life ain't rainbows and my little pony, it's cuts bruises and yum yum... Lots of yum yum. Instead of using a mojo when your not near a life fountain if there's yum yum around go for it.
13 major Payne (it's a movie if your old enough to see it go. But it's a bit inappropriate, speaking of which a Teacher showed it us in school.) get good armor (I mean the blue shield and mojo one) you can indeed take some major pain.
14 if you can fight, mess with the bull, you get hamburgers. Practice fighting, learn different styles, a good way to do this is pvp, learn other pirates styles and try them, who knows, they could save you.
15 wax on wax off (original karate kid) again do pvp stuff that seems like fun (or just a old mans chores) can teach you stuff.
16 I not know how to spel. Stay in school kids, that is probably the best thing to do and can literally save your life. ( I'm a nerd but I'm a terrible speller. And I'm most nerdy in English, you should also see my handwriting... It's well TERRIBLE!
17 keep your friends close and your enemy's farther away. (Here I put some common wisdom out to light.) basically when you keep your friends with you at all times (especially the higher lvl ones like me (which my friends take advantage of) your a better fighter and pretty much unstoppable to almost any boss or dungeon.
18 cut of one head, (Chicago accent) fogget about it. For the hydra it's easier with friends and you only have to go for one color head at a time. Again running out of room. I won't be posting as often (if at all) but I'll still post here, I love to help you guys so I'll see you later (it took me a long time since I had to think of these jokes)

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
PRIVATEER TIP: You can go three ways: Strength, Agility, or Will. I suggest Strength and Will. Strength for your weapons, Will for your heals and powers. That's how I set up my Privateer, going in Buccaneer, Swash for hide, and WD for Up to Juju.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Priceless advice and I your easter eggs, Sparticus32!

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
TheDragonspyrePira... on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
8 say hello to my little friend(s) get friends, it's the best and easiest way to win, it got me through the game.
9 (meant to be said In a pirate terminator voice) I'll be back - _ - -- if you want to win farm for good gear, or try your luck in the bazaar, (funny story I got that ultra rare snake hat from Pariss and accidentally sold it because I thought it was ugly XD)
10 get up stand up, fight for your right... To not Die! (beastie boys Easter egg, except it's "to party") sometimes your going to have to fight. And if it's an important one use a mojo, which brings me to my next one
11 if you like mojo juice, and fighting in the rain ... (Said in surfer voice) use it wisely man. (Another song Easter egg but forgot band) only use mojo if your best companions are dead, only then.
12 life ain't rainbows and my little pony, it's cuts bruises and yum yum... Lots of yum yum. Instead of using a mojo when your not near a life fountain if there's yum yum around go for it.
13 major Payne (it's a movie if your old enough to see it go. But it's a bit inappropriate, speaking of which a Teacher showed it us in school.) get good armor (I mean the blue shield and mojo one) you can indeed take some major pain.
14 if you can fight, mess with the bull, you get hamburgers. Practice fighting, learn different styles, a good way to do this is pvp, learn other pirates styles and try them, who knows, they could save you.
15 wax on wax off (original karate kid) again do pvp stuff that seems like fun (or just a old mans chores) can teach you stuff.
16 I not know how to spel. Stay in school kids, that is probably the best thing to do and can literally save your life. ( I'm a nerd but I'm a terrible speller. And I'm most nerdy in English, you should also see my handwriting... It's well TERRIBLE!
17 keep your friends close and your enemy's farther away. (Here I put some common wisdom out to light.) basically when you keep your friends with you at all times (especially the higher lvl ones like me (which my friends take advantage of) your a better fighter and pretty much unstoppable to almost any boss or dungeon.
18 cut of one head, (Chicago accent) fogget about it. For the hydra it's easier with friends and you only have to go for one color head at a time. Again running out of room. I won't be posting as often (if at all) but I'll still post here, I love to help you guys so I'll see you later (it took me a long time since I had to think of these jokes)

19 are we men or mice? Ooh ooh if were mice can I be Sarah Steele? This one is for swashbucklers you may just want to work on dodgy but also work on health and armor. Armor can help you take some of that damage off if they hit you and health can keep you in longer.
20 no domo aregoto for you mr roboto. Taunts can help boost moral, (for me at least) when I start taunting an enemy (ex armada see above) it some how boosts by adrenalin and get me in the zone. And I just like to taunt my enemy's. It sometimes makes me laugh.
21 I... Will... Destroy... You...ALL! Reckless frenzy works better in groups. You won't go from one place to another so go in the middle of a bunch of enemy's, however only do this if there low lvl. If not go into a group of two or three.
22 who are you? I'm your worst nightmare, here's my business card. (Batman except for the last part) get know don't just hide in the shadows, like I said the more friends you have the better time you have.
23 Every body was Kung fu fighting, clicking done as fast as lightning (Kung fu panda except changed a little) some people hate it when you let the timer run out. Don't do this unless you have to ( I hate it because I'm timed
25 jake! What time is it? Time to take a break. (Adventure time.) don't spend all day on here it can have some nasty side affects (I get sick o*~*o puke face.)

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
TheDragonspyrePira... on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:

You crack me up Jack- I like your style.

Thanks for the laughs. I love all of the Easter eggs and pop culture references. I also like the fact that you are a self labeled nerd and not afraid to let it be known...Say it Loud, and Say it Proud. Some of the nicest and most inspiring people are 'nerds', and many of my good friends are. I, myself am only about 23/32nds nerd, on my mother's side (nearly removed), but I often wish I was more.

Oh, and I also believe that in reference to #10, that is also a Bob Marley ( & The Wailers) reference to his early 70s song Get Up, Stand Up, with the lyrics "Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights." And if I am not mistaken, #11 could be a reference to the late 70s Rupert Holmes song, Escape (aka- the Pina Colada song) with the lyrics "If you like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain. It has been used in a lot of movies- even Shrek. But I could be wrong as to it being the song you are referencing.

Your clever and very funny intros to your tips almost made me forget about the great tips themselves. Best tip of all "Stay in school kids..."- great advice Jack. And yeah, I can't believe a teacher showed that movie in school- I have seen it and seen the video games as well, and they are definitely not school appropriate viewing material.

Again, thanks for all the great, funny tips (which I could imagine you put a lot of time and effort into) and happy to hear that you are going to make some stops in the thread to provide more in the future.