Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ze Spiral Cousine: What's on the Menu?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
Is it Odd at a Cool Ranch restaurant that I saw Kobe Yojimbo enjoying a burger?

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Frozenmuskets on Jun 20, 2013 wrote:
lol cannibalism

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Ahhhh! Kobe! Mooshu disapproves!

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
My crew has an awkward perception when it comes to cooking, for most of them have had some, interesting is the best way to put it, experiences. Ratbeard feels uncomfortable and skeptical around cheese, ever since the time Catbeard pranked him (and I think we all know what the prank was). my Inoshishi members refuse to go into Cool Ranch, for Bacon is common in all diets there. And for the strangest reason, Caractacus and Pepe deTouru will not go within three yards of butter sauce. Its hard to cook for my a crew of about 70, but one thing they can all agree on for any meal is Valencian pizza cooked by Gaspard de Vole, Iago, and Ridolfo. I may have to take dangerous smuggling missions to get the sauce and toppings, but I would rather go through that then have a cranky, hungry team.

Ensign
Nov 06, 2012
El Toro: Kobe! How could you eat one of our own?!
Kobe: Eat or be eaten, my friend.
It's a "Bull eat bull" world out there.

Ensign
Oct 01, 2010
Oops, sorry about that guys. Apparently Kobe enjoys the taste of Buffaloon Burgers as much as I do. But to be honest, Buffaloons aren't really bulls at all like Kobe. Hey bartender! Some more ketchup over here for these burgers, and some yum for me and my crew!

See ye all around the Spiral and Skyways:
Humble Jack Jackson, lvl 38 Buccaneer
Wordy Paul Jackson, lvl 9 Witchdoctor
Quick Aedan Jackson, lvl 9 Swashbuckler
Loyal Oran Jackson, lvl 9 Privateer
Connor Jackson, lvl 9 Musketeer

Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
I asked Kobe why he ate it. He replied, "The Bison eat the Buffaloon, and so am I. It's very good." Glad he's not in my crew...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Lol It was prob a buffalo burger or perhaps a veggie burger?. Hmm Frogleg burger?. Ohh ohh I got it, Stripped buffaloon burger .

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
-eats bacon and gets attacked by ninja pigs- AHHHHH!! What the heck?! This is turkey bacon!

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
i think kobe has Bovine spongiform encephalopathy or mad cow disease
WHAT WE GONNA DO NOW?!(we got a red spy on are tail)
subodai:put down kobe perhaps i got the gun.
me:idk

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:
-eats bacon and gets attacked by ninja pigs- AHHHHH!! What the heck?! This is turkey bacon!
x Wild Bill Peacock scowls x Ahem, That wouldn't have been any cousin's of mine now would it?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
I think the question of eating meat in the Spiral first would be handled very much as in C.S. Lewis' _Narnia_: ordinary farm animals or wild ones normally eaten are eaten without qualms; but the eating of any intelligent ones is considered horrible cannibalism (like when the Giants do so).

Second, whether or not your companions (or you, perhaps?) eat meat would depend on background. For instance, historically in England, having meat available for dinner was considered a big deal (and in the 18th C., a meal is often called being 'at meat', in the hopes your meal contained it), so Marleyboneans can be expected to follow this tradition in their meals. Notice all the people native to Marleybone and its environs are carnivores: Dogs, Cats, Foxes, Frogs, so this supposition fits very well. MooShu, on the other hand with its long influence of the Muddha would likely share Asian Buddhist influences of vegetarianism. And this fits well with the MooShu population of Horses, Cows, Sheep, Goats, and Pigs. Is the digestion of the intelligent Horses, Sheep, etc. like that of ordinary ones? That is an open question. Probably at least somewhat different, otherwise our human characters would find little to eat in taverns and homes of the locals (including some pirates' foster parents). I suspect though, that though Kobe might have tried a hamburger in Cool Ranch out of curiosity, it probably did not agree with his digestion.

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 23, 2013 wrote:
x Wild Bill Peacock scowls x Ahem, That wouldn't have been any cousin's of mine now would it?
-gets attacked by Captain Fowl and Bill- AHHHHH!!! Get 'em off me!

Mormo is holding a video camera and watching, "Mormo found video camera! And just in time!"

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 23, 2013 wrote:
I think the question of eating meat in the Spiral first would be handled very much as in C.S. Lewis' _Narnia_: ordinary farm animals or wild ones normally eaten are eaten without qualms; but the eating of any intelligent ones is considered horrible cannibalism (like when the Giants do so).

Second, whether or not your companions (or you, perhaps?) eat meat would depend on background. For instance, historically in England, having meat available for dinner was considered a big deal (and in the 18th C., a meal is often called being 'at meat', in the hopes your meal contained it), so Marleyboneans can be expected to follow this tradition in their meals. Notice all the people native to Marleybone and its environs are carnivores: Dogs, Cats, Foxes, Frogs, so this supposition fits very well. MooShu, on the other hand with its long influence of the Muddha would likely share Asian Buddhist influences of vegetarianism. And this fits well with the MooShu population of Horses, Cows, Sheep, Goats, and Pigs. Is the digestion of the intelligent Horses, Sheep, etc. like that of ordinary ones? That is an open question. Probably at least somewhat different, otherwise our human characters would find little to eat in taverns and homes of the locals (including some pirates' foster parents). I suspect though, that though Kobe might have tried a hamburger in Cool Ranch out of curiosity, it probably did not agree with his digestion.

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
I just wanted to say that frogs are insectivores, and pigs are actually omnivores, given the chance they will eat meat.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
When I arrived in Marleybone I grinned. I could smell the fresh air. Well it did smell like wet dog but that doesnt matter. I grew up there. When I took a sip of tea from a warehouse my parents took me to I went craaaazy. I went to a fine establishment the next day, and found out why my parents always cooked me dinner at home. I ordered something that sounded good. When i put it in my mouth, well lets just say I didnt swallow. All of my crew smiled nervously at me, except for Gracie who was eating the dog food right up. Ratbeard finally said, "This is disgusting captain!!!" I nodded my head. I was still listening to the sound of music. And Gracie chowing down her food....
I went to skull island and bought tons of Yum products. Mostly bread and drink, a bit of fruit. I also got a few fish for catbeard, The watermoles were kind enough to give them to me, because i was so kind to them. I am happy to say the Aquilan food was much better. Normal food. And it wasn't meant for dogs.... Oh and one last thing. I was at the hotel in Aquila and catbeard said, "Boy am I hungry." He was looking at ratbeard... Lesson of the day. DONT eat Marleybone delicacies.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:
I just wanted to say that frogs are insectivores, and pigs are actually omnivores, given the chance they will eat meat.
[Very good point, Mademoiselle Scarlet, and indeed many herbivores will sometimes act as scavengers or even predators, a behavior which seems to net more nutrients for them. But I was simply speaking as a gloss, general observation, for purposes of fantasy comparison. And considering their size, our Frog friends in Marleybone & Skull Island would have to eat a LOT of insects if that was their sole diet, don't you think?. ]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Perfect solution Anne with the Narnia reference. If they do not have the deep magic and the ability to talk and think then it is not an issue to eat them.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:
[Very good point, Mademoiselle Scarlet, and indeed many herbivores will sometimes act as scavengers or even predators, a behavior which seems to net more nutrients for them. But I was simply speaking as a gloss, general observation, for purposes of fantasy comparison. And considering their size, our Frog friends in Marleybone & Skull Island would have to eat a LOT of insects if that was their sole diet, don't you think?. ]
The quantity of insects would have to depend on the size of the insect, those wasps in Cool Ranch are huge.

Petty Officer
Jan 01, 2013
I personally come from Krokotopia. There the have a delicious cake which is really bread with honey (you can't tell the difference). They also serve figs, Yum-Yum fruit, and tasty beef. I was disappointed when I came to Skull Island. Growing up in Krokotopia I had heard legends about the great Skull Island, with tasty delicacies found nowhere else in the spiral. When I got there I found nothing but chum, fried batacuda, a mystery fish stew, and more chum. I will be speaking with Capt. Avery about this.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Lily Evans on Jun 27, 2013 wrote:
I personally come from Krokotopia. There the have a delicious cake which is really bread with honey (you can't tell the difference). They also serve figs, Yum-Yum fruit, and tasty beef. I was disappointed when I came to Skull Island. Growing up in Krokotopia I had heard legends about the great Skull Island, with tasty delicacies found nowhere else in the spiral. When I got there I found nothing but chum, fried batacuda, a mystery fish stew, and more chum. I will be speaking with Capt. Avery about this.
Ohhh She's Good . I am totally looking forward to the stuff you are gonna come up with Lily. Nice name by the way. Beloved book character, well beloved character's mom?

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Recently, on a travel to Aquila with Chrissy, once we finished up in the Coliseum I dropped by the Golden Bough to see if they had any tea I could purchase. Well, they had more than that!

Tsai tou Vounou, an Aquilan tea made from dried leaves and flowers of the Sideritis plant, translates as Aquilan Mountain Tea. It was sweet, but had some sour tastes to it, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Of course, the plant used to make it is apparently found on the hills of Achaea, so I'm making a stop there soon...

The Aquilans had deep fried peppers, which I wasn't too fond of, but Tyson seemed to enjoy them so I bought a package for him. Aparikit, (pronounced a-parakeet if you get what I'm aiming at saying) was a personal favorite of mine, actually.

But my favorites were the hawklavas and the yogurt with honey and walnuts... But they also had some tasty looking "honey macaroons" that I was sure to buy.

The Aquilans also have a specialty in olives, which they say one of the Immortals created. I don't believe them though, but I didn't say it aloud...

According to the Aquilan archer on my good friend Jacob's crew mentioned to me that most Aquilans use grains, meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and honey in their food. Sounds good to me.

Ciao!

Ensign
Jul 21, 2012
Talking about our culinary journey's, are we? Somebody fetch me some yum and I'll tell my story. How bout a crumpet too? Telling about my journey will sure work up my appetite.

Skull Island was the place to get yum, despite the fact it was smuggled in by the shipload. Everything yum was sold there. Other than that, there's not much else that appeals to anyone's taste buds. I once had some linguini in Flotsam, and I could have eaten it all day. At least, that was before Ratbeard told me about the state of their kitchens. The Plantains in the jungle of doom were very good too. It seems like there's a conspiracy about them.

Monquista had mostly banana related foods, so Monkey King loved visiting the place. If you want a tortilla, the only place to get a great one is in Monquista. The whole crew loved the banana cream pie I made for desert.

Valencia has lots of grain and pastas here. Milo loves the spaghetti here, and always wants to stop by for a bite to eat. Sarah seems to enjoy the freshly cooked bread more than most on my crew.

Cool Ranch. Now that is a place to get a meal. I could eat the buffaloon burgers every day if I could.
Lots of great burritos and chicken here. There's also a small variety of vegetables too here. Lettuce, and pinstriped tomatoes are plentiful .

Mooshu is a world of exotic food. I stopped by a tavern many times just to eat that delicious succulent koi fish sushi. The shuvhu tea here is delicious, despite the fact its made form the fruit of the Black Lotus trees.
Kirin meat is rare, but if my crew gets it, not one scrap will be left behind.

I hear form Bonnie Anne that Marylebone has lots of cheeses and cakes, I think I'll swing by there on the way to Aquila.

My culinary journey will continue,

Cunning Orion Moon

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
storm1012d on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
Talking about our culinary journey's, are we? Somebody fetch me some yum and I'll tell my story. How bout a crumpet too? Telling about my journey will sure work up my appetite.

Skull Island was the place to get yum, despite the fact it was smuggled in by the shipload. Everything yum was sold there. Other than that, there's not much else that appeals to anyone's taste buds. I once had some linguini in Flotsam, and I could have eaten it all day. At least, that was before Ratbeard told me about the state of their kitchens. The Plantains in the jungle of doom were very good too. It seems like there's a conspiracy about them.

Monquista had mostly banana related foods, so Monkey King loved visiting the place. If you want a tortilla, the only place to get a great one is in Monquista. The whole crew loved the banana cream pie I made for desert.

Valencia has lots of grain and pastas here. Milo loves the spaghetti here, and always wants to stop by for a bite to eat. Sarah seems to enjoy the freshly cooked bread more than most on my crew.

Cool Ranch. Now that is a place to get a meal. I could eat the buffaloon burgers every day if I could.
Lots of great burritos and chicken here. There's also a small variety of vegetables too here. Lettuce, and pinstriped tomatoes are plentiful .

Mooshu is a world of exotic food. I stopped by a tavern many times just to eat that delicious succulent koi fish sushi. The shuvhu tea here is delicious, despite the fact its made form the fruit of the Black Lotus trees.
Kirin meat is rare, but if my crew gets it, not one scrap will be left behind.

I hear form Bonnie Anne that Marylebone has lots of cheeses and cakes, I think I'll swing by there on the way to Aquila.

My culinary journey will continue,

Cunning Orion Moon
-places a bottle of Yum and a crumpet, as well as a cheesecake- Ah, shuvhu tea? Never heard of it, but I need to go pick up some! Need to expand the horizons of tea.

Ciao!

Ensign
Jul 21, 2012
Shuvhu tea, delicious. Its very hard to get, because every time the fruit is harvested, there's lots of angry monks chasing after you. However, its worth it.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
I've been searching the Spiral for days for a nice plate, but I've been buying some expired yum and some moldy yum bread at a vendor in Scrimshaw. I have found a black market Monquistador who sold some bottles of Ramsey's Special Yum Delicacy for 15 gold a bottle, but he was arrested by the Monquisition as the goods were contraband.
I've found Ryan the Relentless, who sells Yum-A-Nade at Skull Island, but I personally prefer regular Yum.
I got to Monquista and smuggled potato pie and Monquista's Explosion(best Yum ever!) back to skull island. Yum!(I don't mean the drink, I mean the adjective.)
I went to Aquila and found a vendor who sold...Hippopotamus Stew? No thanks, I prefer this nice Trojan Soup, the nicest meal in the spiral, which is made from...Snake Brain?(barfs.)
I'll update this when I find some new food.