Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirates Helping Pirates, (PHP)

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
This is a tip mostly for Privateers but it is useful for anyone who is going to use a buff. This works for any buff but I am specifically focusing this towards critical boosts.
Don't use a critical buff right away. You and most of your companions have at least a couple of guaranteed critical strikes in your arsenal of hits so you know that your first few hits WILL hit as aimed and will probably go critical. If you boost critical right away you are wasting the first few turns because they would have gone critical anyway.
Wait until those hits are used up and by all means wait until the enemy is almost upon you. Perhaps remembering that old adage of (Wait until you can see the whites of their eyes!) to help you to time it better. Making that critical boost a bit later means that it will still be helping you out later in the fight when you are using your lower hits and those critical boosts will make all the difference and make a lower hit really do some serious damage.
That's a fabulous tip Chrissy.

In general it seems that most people want to boost or buff right out the gates- I know I usually do. But you bring up an excellent point that if you have those guaranteed critical strikes available to your pirate and companions in the form of powers, it would be wise to use the powers first due to the fact that they are already guaranteed and the buffing/boosting can be used afterwards to possibly critical normal attacks.

That is a great tip- so thank you.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
OH Yes great tips. With me being a known shutterbug I was THRILLED when someone showed me that "Put the camera in front of you" tip. You can get some amazing closeups and great scenic shots without your pirate standing in the way. This is very useful if you want to get a few shots of your friends and you won't have to worry about where to put your pirate to get them in the center of the shot. Just get behind the camera and then use the arrows to swing the camera around to just the right angle AND you can use your scroll wheel to zoom in and out too. Oh man, Ninja Pirate, You may have started me on a roll that can't be stopped, lol. Fantastic tip. This was my most influential screenshot tip I ever learned with the exception of using Control-G to clear all the graphics from the screen to get a clean shot. I am positive that you have just made many an upcoming shutterbug's day.
Hey Chrissy, I had a question about the Control-G usage. Have you ever used it right before battle and not been able to see your crew or the battle board at all once drawn in. I was trying to get a great shot in Achaea of an Eagle Stone cliff, the one with the waterfall coming from it. I hit Ctrl-G and kept backing up to get a better shot, when I went to far and was drawn into battle against Satyrs. All I could see was the aerial view of the battle screen but without my crew, the enemies or the battle board. I tried hitting Ctrl-G and various other buttons including escape but nothing would get me out of this view. I had to finally hit the windows button and close and reopen the game.

I tried it out and every time I hit Ctrl-G before entering battle this same thing happens. I was wondering if this has ever happened to you and if so what do you do to fix it or get around it. I know you are the Screenshot Siren and well versed in this department. So any help with this would be greatly appreciated by me.

Thanks

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
How to finish the buck broncos dungeon
First :you avoid all the unesscary fights
Second:you go to equip a pet for the spider fight
Third:you do ranged attacks In order to get buck bronco.
How to solo the duck of death
First you defeat all the enemies In the battle
Second:defeat the duck of death and get all the barrels collect your chests and you are done
Tip make sure you train and choose your best companions for the fight.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
SlightlyMadWizard on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
If you are using the Skull Button in the lower left to get to Skull Island, you should notice that it changes to a Sword when you arrive at Skull Island. This Sword Button will allow you to return to where you came from as long as you stay in Avery's Court, most of Skull Island, or Skull Island docks. Don't enter any areas continuing the story except the shops, Avery's Office, and, I think, the Water Mole Village as this will change the Sword back to the Skull. Then you have to get back to where you were the hard way (ship or transportalator) unless you have a friend back where you were that you could teleport to. If you do have a friend back there, ask them to stay there until you come back to them - DON'T say something like brb (be right back) since that could mean you are afk (away from keyboard) or something else. This lets them know that you will be back and not to continue the story until you get back. Just don't be gone too long or they might go on without you!
Another reason to go to Skull Island is to restore health to knocked out Companions (using the Life Fountain) and quickly regain your Health by going to Ryan's Yum-n-Ade Stand in Skull Island Town across from the Kraken Skulls Tavern. For 100 Gold, your Health will be totally replenished. And then you can port back to where you were (as long as you weren't behind a Sigil) and continue on with the quest.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
I have a tip about something that I just found out about.
I have a young swashbuckler in Tumbleweed and for the first time I tried to stack my poison attacks. To my shock they will not stack. It just makes a weird noise then essentially passes your turn. This makes it really hard if you are fighting with another swashbuckler as you must now really pay attention to who got poisoned by who. If you try to use yours after the other Swashy has already poisoned, it REALLY limits what you can do. As this is a new revelation for me I am going to try to do a poison when only some of my targets have already been poisoned and some are not. I want to see what happens. I just learned the hard way that if I poison then have my Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah make the same move on the same targets, his play forfeits. I thought it was a glitch until I tried to poison a group of trapped baddies that still had poison on them and I learned my lesson well. Swashbucklers be warned, having all that poison at your disposal isn't as powerful as you think.
I do hope that maybe when Ratbeard has time he can explain to us why it is this way or maybe they can allow us to stack them. But I am more than willing to bow to whatever reasons they have for limiting us this way although I really hope the reasons are good ones so this particular yucky medicine can be swallowed with minimal twisted faces.
Chrissy, you also can't stack Bleeding on an enemy. I think the reason is that, until the Poison wears off or the Bleeding stops, that enemy cannot be Poisoned or damaged by the Bleeding. Only when the Poison or Bleeding indicator is gone from that opponent can you do further damage by Bleeding or Poisoning. Since Bleeding usually accompanies an attack, the attack will still do damage but it won't increase the amount of Bleeding. You can combine the two attacks (Poison and Bleeding) on one enemy and both will work correctly.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
This is a tip mostly for Privateers but it is useful for anyone who is going to use a buff. This works for any buff but I am specifically focusing this towards critical boosts.
Don't use a critical buff right away. You and most of your companions have at least a couple of guaranteed critical strikes in your arsenal of hits so you know that your first few hits WILL hit as aimed and will probably go critical. If you boost critical right away you are wasting the first few turns because they would have gone critical anyway.
Wait until those hits are used up and by all means wait until the enemy is almost upon you. Perhaps remembering that old adage of (Wait until you can see the whites of their eyes!) to help you to time it better. Making that critical boost a bit later means that it will still be helping you out later in the fight when you are using your lower hits and those critical boosts will make all the difference and make a lower hit really do some serious damage.
As I understand it, the Critical Strikes that either you or your Companions get are random. If you are using Powers (either yours or your Companions), the character using the Power cannot get a Critical Strike unless the Power used is a Critical Strike. For that reason, I use the Increase Criticals Power after most of the Powers have been used by my Companions or I am planning on not using any of those Powers (except mine) while the Increase Criticals is active.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
BLUE YUM-YUM POTION Tip: Blue Yum-Yum Potions are very helpful since they restore your Health, your Companion's Health, and your currently equipped ship's Health. If your Blue Yum-Yum Potions (lower left corner of the Window if you have any) are full, the potion display will be a light Blue (at least on my computer). When you use one potion, the potion count is reduced by 1 and the Yum-Yum Potion display should be Black with the lower number. At the moment, it remains Blue with the lower number like you can't fill it any more. But that isn't true as you will find out when you get the next floating Blue Yum-Yum Potion. So you need to remember what your maximum number of Blue Yum-Yum Potions is to make sure you know when to go after floating Blue Yum-Yum Potions.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
HEALING SHIP Tip: If your ship is damaged and you are about to land your ship at a dock, use the ship healing power. This will allow your timer for the healing power to be counting down while you are docked and doing things on land. When you next board your ship, you should be ready to heal your ship again (unless you didn't do anything but get back on the ship after docking).

First Mate
May 01, 2012
LOWER LEFT BUTTONS Tip

The Skull Button in the lower left corner of the window was mentioned earlier.

The Life Fountain Button in the lower left corner takes you to the last Life Fountain you are bound to. To make sure you are going to the right Life Fountain, hover the cursor over the Button and it will display which Life Fountain you will go to if you press the Life Fountain Button.

The Go Home Button in the lower left corner takes you to the house you have equipped or, if you are already at your house or don't have one, it takes you to your Bunkhouse.

The Map Button in the lower left corner displays the map of where you are at. The Yellow Arrowhead on the map is where you are located. The tip of the Arrowhead shows the direction you are now facing in.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 1, 2014 wrote:
Hey Chrissy, I had a question about the Control-G usage. Have you ever used it right before battle and not been able to see your crew or the battle board at all once drawn in. I was trying to get a great shot in Achaea of an Eagle Stone cliff, the one with the waterfall coming from it. I hit Ctrl-G and kept backing up to get a better shot, when I went to far and was drawn into battle against Satyrs. All I could see was the aerial view of the battle screen but without my crew, the enemies or the battle board. I tried hitting Ctrl-G and various other buttons including escape but nothing would get me out of this view. I had to finally hit the windows button and close and reopen the game.

I tried it out and every time I hit Ctrl-G before entering battle this same thing happens. I was wondering if this has ever happened to you and if so what do you do to fix it or get around it. I know you are the Screenshot Siren and well versed in this department. So any help with this would be greatly appreciated by me.

Thanks
"The Screenshot Siren" LOL You sure come up with some wonderful nicknames that just warm the barnacles of my heart. Yup I have come up with that very same problem. I have not figured a way out of it. All you can do is exit the game unless you want to just sit and watch your crew get decimated. I will admit that they can do better than expected with just their triggered hits but the handicap is just too much for them and it is way too cruel to watch. I too have to close the game to get out of it and do be careful with that too for once I didn't come back at the closest life fountain, I was back in the battle with 1 life. I took up the gauntlet for that particular fight and actually won but it was one of those really hard won victories that makes ya whoop for joy.
I have gotten around it by sneaking up to my photographical target inch by inch in regular screen mode and I do all my maneuvering Then I do Ctrl G and get the shot without moving. This has saved my tush many times as I have unintentionally 'crossed that line' and had to fight a battle and was Oh so glad I wasn't in a clean screen mode. My heart always goes in my throat if something moves while I am hitting Ctrl G and I need to readjust. I am convinced that I am playing Russian Roulette with the camera to get the shot back.

I also use Ctrl G to get great ship battle shots too and I have noticed that you cannot use the keypad to order more hits while in clean screen mode either, so I have to be careful to not get too absorbed in trying for that perfect close up and then get the opportunity to photograph my own ship sinking.

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
Here's a few guides I use all the time, don't know why I didn't post these sooner.

Ancient Training Tome Locations

Prospector Zeke's Quests for Practice Points:
Funky Bunch
Gypsy Kings
Seagulls
Dixie Chicks
Shonen Knives
Rolling Stones
Eagles

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ok, so I thought I would get into the action of posting guides from the other approved sites that you can provide links to here on the boards. There are so many great guides out there that so many wonderful and talented pirates and sites have provided to help us other pirates out. So, here are few more for you.

All of these guides come from duelist101.

Pirate101 Skills List- A great guide that shows all of the class skills available in Pirate101.
Guide for choosing where you were born- Explains what's gained stat wise and the benefits of each option when you answer the question "Who raised ye, then? Where'd ye grow up?", when creating a new pirate.
Guide explaining Power Purge Magic- Explains the effective use of this power and how handy it can be in PvP.
Guide to countering Nausica in PvP- Explains effective ways to try to counter and possibly deal with the Nausica in PvP battle.
Companion Training Tips- A little guide with advice on how to effectively train your companions.
Ratbeard's Explanation for Valor's Armor- Guide with info on what the power Valor's Armor does and what it means.
Ratbeard Explains Accuracy and Dodge- Ratbeard's explanation of how these stats work.
Ratbeard Explains Stats and what the affect- His explanation of how some of the stats figure into battle.
Pirate Weaponry Part 1- First part of guide describing the different weapon types and how damage is defined using them.
Pirate Weaponry Part 2- Second part of weaponry guide.
Reckless Frenzy Tips- Tips on how and when to use the Buccaneer Power Reckless Frenzy

And guides for all the classes in Pirate101. These guides are more tailored towards PvP but will help in your travels in the Spiral as well.

Buccaneer Guide
Musketeer Guide
Privateer Guide
Swashbuckler Guide
Witchdoctor Guide

Now most of these class guides are a little older and don't take into account some of the updates, but they give great general and starter information on the different classes.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
These guides come from the Mercenaries for Hire site

Managing your companions- guide on basic companion management through the companion page (U)
Epic talents- guide with info on what the various different epic talents mean.
Musketeers- guide to being a musketeer.
Buccaneers- great guide to buccaneer life and strategies.
Swashbucklers- small guide to spiral life as swashbuckler.
Witchdoctors- guide to being a witchdoctor.
Privateers- guide to being a privateer.
Counter Companions- small guide explaining what counter talents are and how to use them to train a counter companion to have in combat.
Guide to Defeating Bishop- tips, strategies and info on fighting and beating Bishop.

And some great guides from p101central.

Character Creation- Guide on helping you with first choices in creating a pirate and game basics.
Screenshot Guide- Guide to taking screenshots and creating albums, uploading pictures and using pictures in posts/threads on pirate101central. You have to register to create albums but it is free and fun to be a member.
Skull Island storyline quests- Guide listing Skull Island storyline quests to start the game. It appears that all worlds will eventually be covered in the future to provide full linear storyline progression.
Chain Theory- Guide illustrating epic talents and how you can trigger long epic chains with them.
Micromania- Guide and tips on being a buccaneer and understanding game mechanics in regards to unit types, target, triggering chains and counting damage in battle.
Practice Points and Skill Sequence Guide- Guide "lists the unique sequence of talents and power so you can better decide how to spend your Practice Points."
Defeating the Hydra- Guide to defeating the Hydra boss in Aquila.
Guide to Ship Combat- Name says it all.
Marleybone Turret Farming- Farming turrets for ship gear.

There are various other guides on pirate101central so check it out. Hope some of these help.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Wicked Victor Arms... on Feb 2, 2014 wrote:
Here's a few guides I use all the time, don't know why I didn't post these sooner.

Ancient Training Tome Locations

Prospector Zeke's Quests for Practice Points:
Funky Bunch
Gypsy Kings
Seagulls
Dixie Chicks
Shonen Knives
Rolling Stones
Eagles
Thank you, thank you- Victor. These guides come in so handy to locate all the numerous Zeke 'special requests' scavenger hunt items. And the extra training tomes can surely help save a large amount of gold. Thanks for finding and sharing these guides.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
krokotopia pirate on Feb 1, 2014 wrote:
How to finish the buck broncos dungeon
First :you avoid all the unesscary fights
Second:you go to equip a pet for the spider fight
Third:you do ranged attacks In order to get buck bronco.
How to solo the duck of death
First you defeat all the enemies In the battle
Second:defeat the duck of death and get all the barrels collect your chests and you are done
Tip make sure you train and choose your best companions for the fight.
Thank you krokotopia pirate. The tip about having a pet equipped for the spider fight is a great one. Having that little pet there to deal a little extra damage or at least draw attacks from the spider can come in handy for your pirate, especially since your pirate is in all alone against those spiders.

Thank you for sharing the great tips!

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
You should not always neglect your companions critical hits. If they have a mega critical card, a plus 1 critical from enduring discipline will convert that mega into an epic hit. Now I know most companions already have an epic hit, but some are still stuck in super or mega like Hawkules.

A great tip for swashbucklers:
You most probably have Sarah Steele, and now with her upgrade she could be more deadly than toro! You should hide her, give her her own critical boost, and send her charging with her mega hit swashbuckler stab move. The thing you will find is that she now does an epic hit, instead of a mega hit! Can be applied to any companion who posses a super/mega hit and a critical boost.

Bonus mystery tip:
Stacking critical powers may create what I call a legendary hit. As you already know, a +1 enduring discipline will convert a mega into an epic hit. However it converts an epic hit into an... AWESOME EPIC HIT! Me and my friends find that if we stack criticals, we can do 4000+ damage! This is because after applying a total of +4 critical chance, a hit if epic will now display as an epic hit with epic + 4 critical!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Feb 1, 2014 wrote:
As I understand it, the Critical Strikes that either you or your Companions get are random. If you are using Powers (either yours or your Companions), the character using the Power cannot get a Critical Strike unless the Power used is a Critical Strike. For that reason, I use the Increase Criticals Power after most of the Powers have been used by my Companions or I am planning on not using any of those Powers (except mine) while the Increase Criticals is active.
Actually, SlightlyMadWizard, you can get critical strikes on powers that are not shown to be critical strike powers. I have many times received super, mega and epic hits on the following powers: Assassin's Strike, Back Stab, Vicious Strike, Brutal Charge, Mighty Charge, Sneak Attack and a few other melee ones. They are all guaranteed strikes but none of them are shown as critical (super, mega, or epic). Under normal usage, these attacks are performed with just standard, non-critical attacks. The difference is that the critical strike cards are guaranteed to critical strike for their respective listed rank- normal (no +#) = Super, +2 = Mega, +3 = Epic. You can critical on none critical powers it is just not a guarantee. I was farming Pariss and Hykssoss in Aquila just yesterday, and using Assassin's Strike, while hidden, my pirate received an epic critical strike. I lost track of the damage done but 2 #s were over 700, 2 over 500 and the other 3 (I think it's three) were all over 300- that is with my pirate being a Buccaneer. All I know is that Hykssoss starts with about 4100 Health and after the attack, Hykssoss only had about 350 Health left. I can only imagine the amount of damage a swashbuckler would deal out in that scenario.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Feb 1, 2014 wrote:
LOWER LEFT BUTTONS Tip

The Skull Button in the lower left corner of the window was mentioned earlier.

The Life Fountain Button in the lower left corner takes you to the last Life Fountain you are bound to. To make sure you are going to the right Life Fountain, hover the cursor over the Button and it will display which Life Fountain you will go to if you press the Life Fountain Button.

The Go Home Button in the lower left corner takes you to the house you have equipped or, if you are already at your house or don't have one, it takes you to your Bunkhouse.

The Map Button in the lower left corner displays the map of where you are at. The Yellow Arrowhead on the map is where you are located. The tip of the Arrowhead shows the direction you are now facing in.
Thanks SlightlyMadWizard for all of these tips. They are all great especially for those just starting out in the Spiral. I am glad that you provided them, because even the most basic tips or info can help someone who is new to the game. There are a lot of younger pirates that play the game and at first there is a lot to learn. Kingsisle has done a great job simplifying movement, combat and interacting with on screen tabs and icons. But even still, for some of the younger pirates it can take a while to understand how all of the shortcuts, icons and other various aspects of the game work.

So thanks for providing some of those tips and info that will surely go to helping out our fellow pirates.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Golden Guardian on Feb 3, 2014 wrote:
You should not always neglect your companions critical hits. If they have a mega critical card, a plus 1 critical from enduring discipline will convert that mega into an epic hit. Now I know most companions already have an epic hit, but some are still stuck in super or mega like Hawkules.

You most probably have Sarah Steele, and now with her upgrade she could be more deadly than toro! You should hide her, give her her own critical boost, and send her charging with her mega hit swashbuckler stab move. The thing you will find is that she now does an epic hit, instead of a mega hit! Can be applied to any companion who posses a super/mega hit and a critical boost.

Bonus mystery tip:
Stacking critical powers may create what I call a legendary hit. As you already know, a +1 enduring discipline will convert a mega into an epic hit. However it converts an epic hit into an... AWESOME EPIC HIT! Me and my friends find that if we stack criticals, we can do 4000+ damage! This is because after applying a total of +4 critical chance, a hit if epic will now display as an epic hit with epic + 4 critical!
Point taken and I understand totally. Trust me, once I start using the criticals I stack them like a busboy. Excellent advice.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Golden Guardian on Feb 3, 2014 wrote:

Bonus mystery tip:
Thanks for the added tips Golden Guardian. I just started my first Swashbuckler and can't wait to use some of the tips you added for Sarah Steel and the other companions with a super/mega hit and critical boost. Nice tip too about the "Bonus mystery tip". An awesome epic hit sounds well...just awesome...and epic. So let the stacking begin.

You can also accomplish damage of that magnitude by using hiding power, a stat buff and then Assassin's Strike- that is if you are lucky enough to have it go epic, as it is not guaranteed. But my Buccaneer has received epic on Assassin's Strike after hiding and dealt about 3750 damage- without any stacking involved. I can only imagine what a high powered swash with a high level weapon and critical stacking could do after going Epic on Assassin's Strike after Hiding or if the stacking you are describing was employed.

Thanks again!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
BATTLE TIP- Finishing an Enemy

When in battle with multiple enemies and there's an enemy that's very low on health, it's wise to get the most out of attacking and finishing off the enemy with low health. Choosing the right crew member to deliver the finishing blow is important to finishing the enemy and to maxing out damage against an additional enemy. There are 3 categories of Epic Talents that come in very handy and can get the most out of finishing off an enemy. The talents are listed in this order: Melee, Ranged Weapon and Ranged Magical

Bonus attack when defeating an enemy- Blade Storm, Double Tap and Mojo Rising. These abilities are guaranteed to trigger after defeating an enemy, providing the additional enemy is within range. For melee fighters, the next enemy has to be adjacent to that fighter possessing Blade Storm- so position is critical for getting the extra attack.

Bonus attacks if you hit- Relentless, Burst Fire and Mojo Echo. These attacks come in handy when you are not sure if your initial attack will finish off the nearly defeated enemy. If triggered and successful (they are not guaranteed to trigger), the second attack should be enough to do the job. Or if 1st attack does defeat the enemy and your pirate/companion are in range to successfully execute Blade Storm, Double Tap or Mojo Rising, then you may get your additional attacks on the new enemy.

Bonus attack if you miss- Second Chance, Quick Adjust and Jobu's Ruse. These Epic talents give your fighter a 2nd attack if the 1st attack misses. I believe these are also guaranteed to trigger if 1st attack misses. Comes in handy if enemy is low and your first attack misses, thus giving you another try.

Having all three types of these Epic Talents are great for finishing an enemy off that's low on health. If you attack and miss you get the 2nd chance attack. If that attack connects and finishes off enemy, then you get bonus attack on additional enemy (if in range) and possibly the extra attack(s) for successful hits as well. There are many combinations of how scenarios will play out when defeating an enemy while possessing combos of these Epic Talents.

You might attack and miss, get Second Chance- finishing enemy and then get Blade Storm and maybe Relentless against the next enemy. (or the other class equivalents of these powers).

Or maybe attack and hit, need Burst Fire to finish enemy and then get Double Tap and possibly additional Burst Fires (if Rank 2 or 3)

Possibly attack and hit, defeat enemy and get mojo rising against new enemy, followed by possibly missing with Mojo Echo and then getting Jobu's Ruse, with another Mojo Echo chance (if you have Rank 2 or 3).

As you can see there are lots of ways that combinations of these 3 types of Epic Talents are very effective at maxing out potentially maxing out damage when using an attacker to target and defeat an enemy.

Hope this helps!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SKYWAY TIP- Smoother Sailing

Often when sailing you, will wish to venture out of the skylanes to cut down on travel time. The problem of course, is that you put your self at risk of running into the many creatures that litter the skyways (and not to mention the endless enemy ships). Even if you are easily able to defeat these creatures, it can still be a pain to have to fight the battle- especially in regards to the amount of time it eats up. Sure, you could always flee, but then you would have to start your journey back at who knows where. And besides no pirate could face their crew if they were to flee a battle ...there's no honor or glory in that, right? These are just a couple of little tips to help avoid all those pesky skyway creatures that seem to pop up out of nowhere.

There are certain sails that, when equipped on your magnificent vessels, will obstruct your view as you traverse the many skyways. When these sails are equipped it is very hard to see a skyway creature that pops up directly in front of your ship. Without even knowing you can be drawn into battle.

One way to help with this is to sail in a slight 'zig-zag' motion, moving slightly left to right to always have a view of what is in front of you. Now your crew may get a bit nauseous but it will help you avoid those creatures that sneak up on you.

Another option is to change the viewing angle when you sail. Click and hold the left button on the mouse and just slightly move it left, right, up or down to get a good view of what is directly in front of your ship. Plus you get some great views of the skyway!

Hope this helps

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
GUIDE FOR HIGH LEVEL WEAPONS IN PIRATE101 (Through Aquila Storyline)

I posted this guide on another thread but thought that it would be good to add it here too. These are some options on great high-end weapons w/ links to them and drop sources from pirate101 central wiki.

Shooty Weapon (includes all shooty class combinations)

Firebird Set- 150-250 and +14 Armor boost. Best shooty weapon- includes nice looking shield. Dropped by Grohl
Dragoon Autocannon- 134-224 base damage has power Megablast. Dropped by Rooke

MELEE WEAPONS W/ BONUS DAMAGE FROM STRENGTH

(2 categories)

High damage + Stat Bonus
Praetorian Spear - 167-279 base damage and +15% Armor Penetration. Best melee weapon based on damage boost from strength. Drop by Antinous
Antinous' Shield- 145-241 base damage and +14 Armor boost. Dropped by Antinous
Ettin's Pauldron- 145-241 base damage and +14 Armor boost. Dropped by Khagan
Coetls' Needles- 151-251 base damage, + 7 Armor and +10% Armor Penetration. Received from (good luck) Tribal Crew Pack

Highest Damage Only
Hykssoss' Falchion- 167-279 base damage. Dropped by Hykssoss
Sword of Talos- 167-279 base damage. Dropped by Talos
Hammer of Anax- 167-279 base damage. Dropped by Anax
Axe of the Minotaur Lords- 167-279 base damage. Dropped by Pholcos
Trident- 165-275 base damage. Dropped by Captain Pluton

MELEE WEAPONS W/ BONUS DAMAGE FROM AGILITY

Blades of Shade- 160-266 (magical damage), +7 Armor, +20% Armor Penetration. Dropped by Cadmus
Pugio Brace- 158-263 base damage. Dropped by Captain Spartacos
Azure Serpent Shards- 151-251 base damage and +30% Armor Penetration. Received (good luck) from Tribal Crew Pack

STAFFY WEAPONS (includes all staffy weapons w/ damage bonus from will)

Medea's Crook- 137-229 base damage. Dropped by Medea
Chimera Staff- 135-225 base damage. Dropped byAtropos
Manticore Cudgel- 135-225 base damage. Dropped by Atropos and Zeena
Chimeric Brace- 135-225 base damage. Dropped by Atropos and Talthybius
Tartarus Set- 135-225 base damage. Dropped by Zeena

Hope this helps!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
BATTLE TIP- Letting Poison and Bleeding do the dirty work

Ok so here are a couple of tips for any pirate out there for Swashbucklers or any other pirates that have gear with poisoning and bleeding powers.

First as SlightlyMadWizard mentioned before, neither of these secondary, 'behind the scenes' damages are stackable. But you can 'stack' one of each type of power on the same enemy. If you do this I would first use a hiding power if available, then buff with whatever accuracy boosts you have & shielding (or other buffs) until you have one turn of hiding left. Use highest level bleeding, whilst still hidden, and target an enemy that is in the center of a group of enemies or have your pirate end up in a tile that is adjacent to as many enemies as possible- you will do massive amounts of damage to that enemy and inflict bleeding. On the next turn use your poisoning power, assuming and hoping that their are still multiple enemies adjacent to your pirate, in order to get the most out of the 3 or 5 rounds of 'extra' damage. Many times the secondary damage will finish off a couple of low health enemies in the coming rounds. And having both bleeding and poison on the same enemy early on is almost like having an extra companion for 3-5 rounds. This leads to the next tip in regards to these two types of powers.

Damage dealt from poisoning and bleeding is put into play after your crew's turn in battle and before the enemies' turn. That's fairly common knowledge, but for some this may be something they weren't aware of. This bit of knowledge will, and should, influence who you should attack in the current round. If your poisoning or bleeding reliably deals 180+ damage you don't have to worry about wasting an attack on an enemy with 175 health left- thus freeing a crew member to attack another enemy. The poison or bleeding will finish them off before the enemy gets a turn. So pay close attention to exactly how much damage is being dished out by your poisoning and bleeding powers and use those numbers effectively to your advantage.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
TEENY, TINY TIP

This is just a little tip, or actually advice, involving the use of any of the shielding or blocking damage powers that show weapon icons on the bottom of the cards. These include Leviathan's Call, Kraken's Lament and Triton's song. As I mentioned before, if you notice on the bottom of these cards are icons of different 'weapon types' that the shielding and damage blocking are effective against. These symbols don't mean that the enemy actually has to be using one of the types of weapons shown on the card. The melee weapon icons on the cards just imply that the shielding/blocking damage will take effect against any melee attacks (and ranged too for Leviathan's Call). So they are effective to use against melee creatures using claws, teeth, tentacles, beaks, heavy hides and hooves (Bumbaloons), stingers, wings, shells and more, as well.

I say this because I must confess that earlier in my Spiral adventures I thought they only worked against those particular types of weapons, so I didn't bother using them in battle against creatures. I know, I know- silly me. But now I know and as Joe always says....."Knowing is half the battle".