Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirates Helping Pirates, (PHP)

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
Lol, love the imagery of that moment- after we are done singing your clever little pirate tune (which was brilliant by the way), perhaps we could all join in with We Are the World or better yet We Are the Spiral.
Lol, Now I Really can't stop laughing. Very clever.
And I thank you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
BOSS BATTLE TIP- Diskylos

I came across a thread where a fellow pirate was talking about the challenges of fighting Diskylos in Aquila due to his insanely high health. There were some great tips on how to defeat this ferocious bi-cranial canine. I have been farming Diskylos for a few days and wanted to offer up my own personal strategies.

1st off, companion selection (this is an epic battle) is crucial to your pirate's success. After trying several combinations my suggestions for companions are as follows:

• El Toro
  • Kobe Yojimbo
  • Either Sarah Steele (I have Lucy Sterling from crown shop)
  • or the Eagle Hoplite.
As you know all of these companions are swashbucklers which is the key. Now, for me all of these companion's are at least level 65 and all of them have the following epic talents:
  • First strike or repel boarders (Kobe FSx2)
  • Riposte x 2 (El Toro x3)
  • Relentless
In addition they are all fully trained in dodge, accuracy and rough.

These talents are extremely useful and key to an easy battle against Diskylos as he is equipped with follow through x3- allowing him to attack up to four extra times if successful, blade storm x3, and riposte.

For 1st turn, I hide and buff my crew and use El Toro's accuracy buffing power. Diskylos can move nearly clear across the board so I leave my companions put for the 1st turn. Next few turns I continue to buff and attack with all 3 companions. Diskylos almost never connects with his attacks and when he does it is only once or twice. Their riposte, relentless, first strikes and repel boarders kick in just about every turn- dealing massive amounts of damage. When he dodges, his riposte attack often misses and my companions' riposte kick in. No matter who he attacks, their first strikes and repel boarders kick in along with the relentless.

Needless to say it is a brutally quick battle even with all of his health because he rarely hits my companions due to there dodge and usually lasts between 3 to 5 turns of attacks (w/ passing on first).
"Bi-Cranial Canine" Very clever. I love it.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
Lol Oh you make me feel so normal. I am constantly facepalming for doing that very same thing.
I'm not the only one who does it then? Thank goodness!

As for that fight, unfortunately Bonnie Anne did not make it through no matter how much my Witchdoctor tried to help. I can, at least, say that I managed to prevent Lucky Jack Russell from following Bonnie Anne.

Before I forget what I wanted to say though, let me deliver the battle tip I was planning on giving.

Don't forget to look at the battle objective. Sometimes you only need to defeat one enemy to win, or sometimes you just need to activate or get near a certain object. It saves a lot of time if you read the objective before the battle.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Scarlet Freeman on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:

As for that fight, unfortunately Bonnie Anne did not make it through no matter how much my Witchdoctor tried to help. I can, at least, say that I managed to prevent Lucky Jack Russell from following Bonnie Anne.

Before I forget what I wanted to say though, let me deliver the battle tip I was planning on giving.

Don't forget to look at the battle objective. Sometimes you only need to defeat one enemy to win, or sometimes you just need to activate or get near a certain object. It saves a lot of time if you read the objective before the battle.
Yup that is another facepalming issue that I am guilty of, until my blushing reflex finally taught me to pay attention. I can't tell you how many times I was fighting merrily away and suddenly the battle was over when I thought it shouldn't have been and I am standing there sputtering "What just happened?" Then I hurriedly collect my chests and then because I am so curious I waited until no one was looking and I would go back and re-do that fight and lo and behold I could have made things much simpler and quicker just by reading the directions, lol.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Quick Pearl on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
About the Note/Advice section, I don't believe it's possible to power level with NXP.

I once took my little brother to Marleybone (who was trying to complete Cool Ranch at the time) to fight Armada ships and help him gain nautical XP while still letting me get nautical XP. (I had already beat Aquila, and I had the Marleybone Galleon at the time, so I was trying to get the Aquilan ships.) After each battle, my little brother got the same nautical XP that he would get from fighting Cool Ranch ships (about 294), and I got the same nautical XP that I would get from fighting the Armada ships in Marleybone (around 413 I believe).

Moral of the story folks, don't try to power level your nautical XP. It won't work, the system won't allow it!

~Quick Pearl
Thank you very much Quick Pearl for the info.

I did not realize that you couldn't power level nautical XP. For some reason I thought it was possible. I guess I thought you could for a couple reasons.

I see a lot of max level people (in game and here on the boards) asking for someone in Aquila to friend one of their lower level pirates so they can nautical farm in Aquila- even though they themselves are only in, for example, Monquista or Cool Ranch. I would have thought that if there was no difference in XP gained from defeating Aquilan ships versus high level ships from their current world- that they would just ask for help farming in their current world.

I also see Cool Ranch and Mooshu ships farming regularly in Aquila and they always chat about how fast their nautical levels are going up, gaining lots of NXP per ship. So this lead me to believe that it was at least possible to attempt power leveling NXP.

I guess I was mistaken about being able to. So I do appreciate your correcting me on this matter.

Thanks Again!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Scarlet Freeman on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:

Such a good tip about battle objectives Scarlet

Nothing to add, as you covered it superbly. Just wanted to say it was a good one especially for those just getting started. Thank you Scarlet

First Mate
May 01, 2012
Scarlet Freeman on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
Boarding Tip (Or perhaps just a general battle tip.)
When boarding, I usually find my ship laden with traps after doing my best to avoid it. I find that these become very cumbersome when in your battle. My first and foremost piece of advice would be to get rid of those nasty fire and trap tokens on your ships if possible, however, if not possible and you're stuck between them, I'd like to add one more thing.

If you're in a bottleneck situation and you can only move your ranged fighter or melee fighter up with you or ahead of you, always choose to move the melee fighter. Remember that ranged fighters have a longer range and thus can hit enemies that are further away. Also, they're kind of squishy in hand-to-hand combat. Your melee fighters aren't as squishy and they can take a bit more damage and dish it out faster if you're facing other melee fighters.

I just want other pirates to avoid the inconvenience that has proven a problem to me many times. (And no matter how much it happens I never seem to learn. Happened to me a few minutes ago and the first person I moved forward was Bonnie Anne. That was a rough battle. )
Before destroying Fire Traps, look to see if they can be used against the enemies by placing your group where the enemy has to be affected by them. This can be done even if you have to retreat a bit. I like to retreat so there is one square separating me and the trap. That way the enemy is almost always affected by trap when they attack me. This also works for Lightning Traps where the enemy has to go through them to get to you. I only destroy traps when I can't use them and the trap will affect me for more than one or two turns.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
The only time I advance long-ranged fighters is when they can't attack the enemy. Most of the time, I setup my players so that, when the enemy comes to me, they first face my melee units and my long-range fighters can easily attack them.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
The only time I advance long-ranged fighters is when they can't attack the enemy. Most of the time, I setup my players so that, when the enemy comes to me, they first face my melee units and my long-range fighters can easily attack them.
Both of these are excellent tips SlightlyMadWizard.

As you stated, in many cases leaving the traps can be a good and wise strategy. Especially if there are some enemy musketeers are on the board or if you are close enough to melee enemies and 'box' them in to where they can't or won't move to attack you from a different angle. For some reason the enemies aren't wise enough to realize that they are taking damage and will not move as they continue turn after turn to 'harm themselves'. Many times enemy musketeers that members of your crew are in range of, will settle in next to a trap and as long as you don't move out of their range- they will continue to take the abuse.

Also, good idea in keeping ranged fighters out of harms way and letting melee fighters go in first. This protects them and allows your more powerful (swashbucklers) and hardy (buccaneers) melee fighters to deal and take most of the damage, while your ranged fighters reign terror from a safe distance.

Great addition to the thread and thank you for the input.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
GENERAL/BATTLE TIP- Increased Gear Drop Chances (plus GOLD)

This tip is just about maximizing your chances of getting more gear drops from battles. It is often very rewarding to play the game solo and gain that sense of accomplishment from defeating tough enemies and bosses. One of the problems with going solo all the time is that you are decreasing your chances at getting better, higher end, and more rare gear for your pirate. Not to mention you are also missing out on loads of gold in the process.

Many higher level and maxed players often have 'farming parties' or frequently work together with a few of their friends to do battles and fight bosses. There is a another reason for doing this, besides just wanting to hang out and chat with a couple of pirate pals.

As many of you know (and for those that don't), almost every time someone joins you in battle more enemies will appear on the battle board. There are some times when this doesn't hold true but for the sake of the tip we'll just say if you start a new battle and 2 or 3 friends immediately join you there will be more enemies on the board, than if you soloed the battle. This leads to the following scenario.

More Pirates = More Enemies = More Chests + More Gold
(or as it is more commonly referred to GGGE- Great Gear and Gold Equation) ok, so I made that up just now.

In general when there are more enemies on the board, upon defeat they will leave more gold, more chests and especially in boss instances- a greater chance of obtaining rare gear. You have a better chance of being dropped something great, if there are 11 or 12+ chests after fighting with other pirates, than if there are only 3 or 4 chests after fighting solo.

Even if you only do this in some boss dungeons you will drastically increase your gold and improve your chances of getting great, rare gear. So grab a couple fellow pirates and go beat up on some baddies.

NOTE- Some bosses are 'one chest only bosses'- for example Diskylos & Lo Pan.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Before destroying Fire Traps, look to see if they can be used against the enemies by placing your group where the enemy has to be affected by them. This can be done even if you have to retreat a bit. I like to retreat so there is one square separating me and the trap. That way the enemy is almost always affected by trap when they attack me. This also works for Lightning Traps where the enemy has to go through them to get to you. I only destroy traps when I can't use them and the trap will affect me for more than one or two turns.
OH, I wasn't aware that traps on my ship would harm the other guys too. Guess I never thought about it and assumed that they were like traps that I set. Good call. Thanks.

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
I'm not sure if this will be helpful but when you are fighting Lo Pan in mooshu at the temple of the west wind, make sure to go for the skeleton minions as well as lo pan. Once you get him to about half he will flee and then you will have to beat the skeleton minions then he will come back. Lol just make sure to go for both of them
Cunning Tara Painer
Silent Maricela Quietly
Practical Jenna Mainstay

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
pirate1234241 on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
I'm not sure if this will be helpful but when you are fighting Lo Pan in mooshu at the temple of the west wind, make sure to go for the skeleton minions as well as lo pan. Once you get him to about half he will flee and then you will have to beat the skeleton minions then he will come back. Lol just make sure to go for both of them
Cunning Tara Painer
Silent Maricela Quietly
Practical Jenna Mainstay
Great tip pirate1234241 and welcome to the thread.

That is a great tip. This is one of those battles where you can go for the boss or the minions but there is somewhat of an order to it. As you stated the first part of the battle all you need to do is concentrate on getting Lo Pan's health into the yellow and possibly take out a skeleton or two in the process. Once he is gone the first time, finish off his minions and he will come back supposedly stronger than ever (he just can't get enough punishment I guess). Then just wipe the board clean of him and any leftover baddies and after that you get an amazing, astonishing and incredible......one chest dropped. He does have some pretty good gear though and his hat is quite stylish might I add.

Thanks again for your great tip and hope to hear more tips from you in the future. Good luck

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
BATTLE TIP- Pay Attention to #s

This is a basic tip more geared to those just starting out in the spiral. The tip is about paying close attention to, and mentally recording the amount of damage your crew deals in battle. This includes paying full attention to each attacking power your pirate uses and the damage your companions do. Early on it is easy to get into the habit of admiring your crews cool moves. Often you can become a pirate just merely watching the show instead of actually taking notes on the specific amount of damage dealt.

Paying extreme attention to the actual #s that pop up on the screen can make a huge difference in battle and can help you decide which companion to attack with or which of your pirate's powers to use. By taking notice of these #s you can make more efficient decisions on the battle board. So many times it is easy just to have a companion attack an enemy just because he is adjacent to the enemy on the board. This may not be the best option.

For example, there is a targeted enemy who has 50 health points left. You have a swashbuckler companion adjacent to that enemy that typically deals 125-150 damage with an ordinary attack. Meanwhile, your pirate is a few tiles away, adjacent to a different enemy, but still within striking distance of the first targeted enemy and has a critical strike that averages 60-75 damage. Also, note that the other enemy on the board has around 200 health and is within striking range of both your pirate and your companion. In the early stages of the game, it is easy to get in the habit of simply attacking a target with whichever crewmember is closest to an enemy.

In this example, by doing this you would be wasting valuable damage points. Even though your pirate is further away, the fact that his/her attack does just enough damage to take out the enemy makes it the better choice. Your companion would then be freed up to attack the enemy with 200 health (leaving the enemy with possibly 50 health left) and would keep from wasting up to 100 pts of damage had he/she attacked the enemy with 50 health left.

If you went with, the attacking with the closest crewmember choice, the swashbuckler would attack the 50 health enemy and waste up to 100 pts damage. Your pirate would attack the 200 health enemy and do say 75 damage, leaving 125 health for the enemy. In the first scenario you defeat 1 enemy and leave the other with 50 health, in the second scenario you defeat 1 enemy and leave the other with 125 health. As your pirate levels these differences can make a huge difference in battle against more formidable foes.

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
Such a good tip about battle objectives Scarlet

Nothing to add, as you covered it superbly. Just wanted to say it was a good one especially for those just getting started. Thank you Scarlet
I was fighting Moo Manshu in Mooshu, today. About halfway through the flight, I realized I only had to defeat him! Hahaha there were so many enemies in the battle board and I did not understand why they kept coming. In the end, I lost all of my companions in that fight and I had to defeat him by myself!! As a Privateer, I'm naturally bad at hand to hand combat. I won though!!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DrParrot on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
I was fighting Moo Manshu in Mooshu, today. About halfway through the flight, I realized I only had to defeat him! Hahaha there were so many enemies in the battle board and I did not understand why they kept coming. In the end, I lost all of my companions in that fight and I had to defeat him by myself!! As a Privateer, I'm naturally bad at hand to hand combat. I won though!!
That's pretty funny, because when I fought him, I also never looked at the battle objectives. Just kept trudging along wondering the same thing as you- man, where are they all coming from? I finally wised up and went in full blast against Moo Manchu and finished him off. Good thing you were able to do the same and come out victorious. That is definitely a case in point of why glancing in the upper, left hand corner of the screen is a good thing to do before each battle- something I occasionally forget to do. Glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks for sharing, it gave me a laugh- thinking back to my own absent mindedness when I fought the Moo!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
BATTLE TIP- Pay Attention to #s

This is a basic tip more geared to those just starting out in the spiral. The tip is about paying close attention to, and mentally recording the amount of damage your crew deals in battle. This includes paying full attention to each attacking power your pirate uses and the damage your companions do. Early on it is easy to get into the habit of admiring your crews cool moves. Often you can become a pirate just merely watching the show instead of actually taking notes on the specific amount of damage dealt.

Paying extreme attention to the actual #s that pop up on the screen can make a huge difference in battle and can help you decide which companion to attack with or which of your pirate's powers to use. By taking notice of these #s you can make more efficient decisions on the battle board. So many times it is easy just to have a companion attack an enemy just because he is adjacent to the enemy on the board. This may not be the best option.

For example, there is a targeted enemy who has 50 health points left. You have a swashbuckler companion adjacent to that enemy that typically deals 125-150 damage with an ordinary attack. Meanwhile, your pirate is a few tiles away, adjacent to a different enemy, but still within striking distance of the first targeted enemy and has a critical strike that averages 60-75 damage. Also, note that the other enemy on the board has around 200 health and is within striking range of both your pirate and your companion. In the early stages of the game, it is easy to get in the habit of simply attacking a target with whichever crewmember is closest to an enemy.

In this example, by doing this you would be wasting valuable damage points. Even though your pirate is further away, the fact that his/her attack does just enough damage to take out the enemy makes it the better choice. Your companion would then be freed up to attack the enemy with 200 health (leaving the enemy with possibly 50 health left) and would keep from wasting up to 100 pts of damage had he/she attacked the enemy with 50 health left.

If you went with, the attacking with the closest crewmember choice, the swashbuckler would attack the 50 health enemy and waste up to 100 pts damage. Your pirate would attack the 200 health enemy and do say 75 damage, leaving 125 health for the enemy. In the first scenario you defeat 1 enemy and leave the other with 50 health, in the second scenario you defeat 1 enemy and leave the other with 125 health. As your pirate levels these differences can make a huge difference in battle against more formidable foes.
More great stuff from the Tipster King. It made me think of something that will help this tip line of thought too. If you have a Melee companion that has Double Tap or it's equivalent, make sure when you are attacking someone that they will likely finish off, chose what side of the square they attack from. By simply having them attack from the bottom instead of from the left means they are also standing beside another bad guy and then they have someone to double tap onto. If they are alone when the bad guy goes down, that wonderful epic is wasted because your companion isn't near someone. With someone like Bonnie Anne, it isn't much of an issue because she can reach so many, besides she is ranged. It's when your companion moves and hits in the same round that this comes into play.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
GENERAL TIP- What Is Farming?

It dawned on me the other day while chatting in game with a level 5 musketeer- in Avery's Court, that not everyone out there is familiar with the term farming. To seasoned pirate captains farming is common knowledge and probably thought of as something everyone is aware of. However, after my chat with this (new to pirate101 and KI games all together) pirate it was apparent that some new players don't know what the term means. Farming has been mentioned in the tips in this thread and throughout the boards, but (at least on this thread) farming has not been defined. So I thought it would be good to add it.

BOSS FARMING

Boss farming is when you just repeatedly battle the same boss (whether in dungeon, cave, or on ship) over and over in hopes of getting good or rare gear drops. And in many cases unique gear that the boss has equipped. Simply put, you do the battle repetitively until you get the rare gear you are looking for or are satisfied with the other gear you have received. If you farm in groups, the chances of getting the high end, rare gear are greater- with more chests being added to the mix.

NAUTICAL FARMING

Engaging in ship battles, usually in groups with fellow pirates, with enemy ships to gain Nautical XP, gold or ship gear drops. Many times, due to the amount of allied ships, you can defeat much higher level ships and watch your Nautical XP soar- gaining Nautical levels in the process of course.

GOLD FARMING

This kind of farming goes hand-in-hand with the other two, in that farming, whether it be bosses or ships, will grant your pirate loads of gold in the process and some unwanted gear to sell for gold. Often you do this specifically with the intentions of getting gold or gear to sell and aren't necessarily trying to acquire a particular piece of gear. Comes in mighty handy for those essential and increasingly costly companion points. You can also farm the many spawning chests, creating a circuit in some locations, in order to acquire more gold for your pirate.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Tip for the Parrot Island quest:
For those of you that are doing the quests in Port Regal one of them is to fetch some Totems, Charms and Tribal Ink from some water moles on Parrot Island. Most just rush in and start battles with those pesky moles and then frantically try to nab stuff while invisible until those roaming water moles tag you again and you start the process over again.
If you can be a bit patient you can do the entire quest without one fight.
When you first get on the island sneak up to the totem pole on the right and inch in until you see the "Select 'x' to get totem". (See a screen shot of the spot you need to be in by clicking here.) Hit the x and just stand there. They will respawn every 30 seconds so by just standing there you can collect all 8. Then inch in a bit further and you can reach the "Select 'x' to get charm" spot. Again just wait and collect all 8. I know that those 30 second intervals can seem like forever but you can keep your mind busy by studying the pattern of the guys running in a circle.
Once you have your first two items, back up a bit and wait for a clear spot in the runners. The two water moles that appear to guard those totem poles won't touch you when you dart through right between them. Go through the middle of the path and make a quick right at the waterfall and get along the cliff. Then run to the end of the cliff and go around to that little spot at the end. If you look on the map you are at the end of the green area, right under the 'd' of the word Parrot Island. (See map shot showing where to stand.) There is a tribal ink pot right there so just stand there until you collect all 8. Once you have them all just click on the ship button right next to the skull that takes you back to Skull Island. This will take you directly to your ship with out having to dodge anyone and risking a battle.
Now I have no idea if these guys drop anything good, if they do then by all means fight them. If you don't have to then be sneaky.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
Oh, yeah! I had quite forgotten about that. I have to say that that's an excellent tips. It gets free damage points and has saved my hide more times than I care to count.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
OH, I wasn't aware that traps on my ship would harm the other guys too. Guess I never thought about it and assumed that they were like traps that I set. Good call. Thanks.
The only traps I know of that also harm the enemy are Fire, Lightning, and Powder Kegs. If there are any more, I would definitely like to know!

First Mate
May 01, 2012
If you are not able to unequip items from your ship, check to make sure your Backpack is not full since the unequiped item goes into your Backpack. If you try to unequip ship items and your Backpack is full, you are not allowed to unequip the item by double clicking on it and the background of the equip-hand is brown or gray indicating that you can't use it. There is NO error message shown except for when you put the cursor over the equip-hand. The error message says “You can't unequip this right now.” which doesn't really explain why you are not able to unequip that item.

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
Congrats in making it into the newsletter!! that is not an easy thing to do, but you did it Kudos to you!
Oh and nice tips by the way.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
More great stuff from the Tipster King. It made me think of something that will help this tip line of thought too. If you have a Melee companion that has Double Tap or it's equivalent, make sure when you are attacking someone that they will likely finish off, chose what side of the square they attack from. By simply having them attack from the bottom instead of from the left means they are also standing beside another bad guy and then they have someone to double tap onto. If they are alone when the bad guy goes down, that wonderful epic is wasted because your companion isn't near someone. With someone like Bonnie Anne, it isn't much of an issue because she can reach so many, besides she is ranged. It's when your companion moves and hits in the same round that this comes into play.
Thank you Chrissy...Tipster King...lol. Isn't that the Monkey King- oh wait that's Trickster. You guys and gals are the kings and queens of the tips. I just provide mainly general, beginner tips for pirates new to the waters and the spiral. All of you who know the ins-and-outs of the game, provide the great strategies and tips.

Great tip about attack placement. This is a great example of why knowing, not only what powers/talents your pirate has- but what they actually do, is very valuable. While using a low level melee power is great for finishing off an enemy (because it is a guaranteed hit), it is very wise, as you pointed out, to get the most of that guaranteed strike. Getting that great new glancing blow or blade storm against an additional adjacent enemy only adds to survival chances in battle. Positioning and attacking direction are essential to maximizing your pirate's powers and there effectiveness in battle. Epic talents are there for a reason, so using them wisely can mean the difference between victory and defeat. I certainly prefer victory, hence my board name!

Thanks again, Chrissy- great pickup and tip.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
pirate101 lover on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
Congrats in making it into the newsletter!! that is not an easy thing to do, but you did it Kudos to you!
Oh and nice tips by the way.
Thank you so much pirate101 lover. Very kind words- everyone on this thread deserves the Kudos and a pat on the back for their great contributions. It is an honor to be mentioned in the newsletter and to post with all of you fellow pirate friends.

Thank you again. And keep the superb tips coming!