Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Make pets cap at pirates level

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
I have seen level 10 pirates with level 70 pets, not really a problem but this makes combat a bit silly and it doesn't challenge the player in low levels, I simply suggest that the pets cap at level 10, so you can still train your pet up to max level and when in battle it will have all of its talents and grants for your pirate but the pet itself in combat will only be level 10 and will hit as hard as a level10, just a little something to make the game better.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 26, 2017 wrote:
I have seen level 10 pirates with level 70 pets, not really a problem but this makes combat a bit silly and it doesn't challenge the player in low levels, I simply suggest that the pets cap at level 10, so you can still train your pet up to max level and when in battle it will have all of its talents and grants for your pirate but the pet itself in combat will only be level 10 and will hit as hard as a level10, just a little something to make the game better.
When you decide to enter the battle with Fin Dorsal for just a bit of fun, and you see a Level 3 pirate's Clockwork Spider shred Fin in one round XD

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
No offense, but I don't like this idea. Not trying to be mean. If they listened to your idea it would mean Level 10 pirates could not have hybrid pets.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
The number one reason people level up pets...

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jan 26, 2017 wrote:
No offense, but I don't like this idea. Not trying to be mean. If they listened to your idea it would mean Level 10 pirates could not have hybrid pets.
A level 10 could only have a max level pet if they had a max level account so you just use that to make hybrids

Also Willowydream, I personally level up pets for the grants, I would rather have a level 1 pet with bad grants (I know it's impossible but you get the idea) over a max lvl pet with awful grants

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
It would also mean that pets could not be traded between pirates. Suppose you had a level 70 pirate who had a level 70 pet? You would not be able to put that pet in a shared bank lest some other pirate with a lower level take it out and use it. Having it go down to the level of the pirate would complicate coding something fierce.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
That would mean you'd need to be level 30 to ever morph. Not good.

So what if someone's pet is 7x their level if it's not affecting their enjoyment of the game? Some folks would prefer to cakewalk through the game (I don't know why, but some people don't handle their pirates being KO'd well). Unless they're part of your battle, let 'em play the game the way they like. If you're adventuring with them and it bothers you, I guess you could ask them to either use a less powerful pet or to unequip the one they have.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
A level 10 could only have a max level pet if they had a max level account so you just use that to make hybrids

Also Willowydream, I personally level up pets for the grants, I would rather have a level 1 pet with bad grants (I know it's impossible but you get the idea) over a max lvl pet with awful grants
Exactly what I said - you level up the pets PAST THE LEVEL OF YOUR PIRATE because they are so helpful in battle. If a pet had all the grants you ever wanted but couldn't level it past 10, you'd never see them. I know you meant to contradict me, but leveling up is the only way to see if you've got those awesome grants.

It would NOT be more fun to limit pets' usefulness at all.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You do realize that the chance of a pet appearing in battle is low? ( Unless that pet has the loyal talent and even then its like 25% chance ).
Why not let the super pets take the heat off the pirates who want to use them? It's uproariously funny to see a pet stomp the boss.
Soon enough those levels even up.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Ok so I think everyone has got the idea wrong so I will try to rephrase a little more clearly and I will see what you guys think about it

The idea is that the pets level only caps in battle so if your for example a level 10 with a level 56 pet, the pet will be level 10 in battle.

You can still use your pet to morph and it will be level 56

You can still train your pet past your pirates level to whatever level past level 56 you desire

You can still use the pets grants and talents in battle which you achieved from training the pet

The only thing that would change is that they aren't doing 300 damage a hit and knocking out way too much health of the enemies whilst being practically immortal with 2000 health and an insane amount of dodge

People shouldn't have super pets like that on battles, there is no challenge and I feel like it loses the authenticity of the game

And super pets help people finish the game a lot faster than usual, then we get more impatient players waiting and whining for a new update

By doing this the storyline is stretched out from nothing so that the game is longer to complete

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I presently have all my <70 pirates with =70 pets. The pets are extremely useful early in the game, but by the time they get to Cool Ranch they are not as useful. By the time you get to Mooshu, they are about the same as a pet of the same level as the pirate.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 28, 2017 wrote:
Ok so I think everyone has got the idea wrong so I will try to rephrase a little more clearly and I will see what you guys think about it

The idea is that the pets level only caps in battle so if your for example a level 10 with a level 56 pet, the pet will be level 10 in battle.

You can still train your pet past your pirates level to whatever level past level 56 you desire

You can still use the pets grants and talents in battle which you achieved from training the pet

The only thing that would change is that they aren't doing 300 damage a hit and knocking out way too much health of the enemies whilst being practically immortal with 2000 health and an insane amount of dodge

People shouldn't have super pets like that on battles, there is no challenge and I feel like it loses the authenticity of the game

And super pets help people finish the game a lot faster than usual, then we get more impatient players waiting and whining for a new update

By doing this the storyline is stretched out from nothing so that the game is longer to complete
My privateer has had my swashbuckler's reject dragon since she was a level 10. The dragon is maxed, with some pretty useful grants that have saved my pirate's life a couple of times. You're suggesting that pets show up in every single battle; Sparky hasn't had the mind to show up in a battle for a long time, so nothing he's doing is speeding me through the game. Another thing to note is the damage cap on enemies - I'm pretty sure my dragon can't one-shot anything except for a troggy or a cutthroat on Skull Island. It sure as heck isn't letting me speed through the game or giving me a huge advantage. More often than not, the AI puts him in the way of a companion so they can't attack!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 28, 2017 wrote:

That would be too complicated - changing levels like that back and forth from peace to battle. What about pets in the middle of training? You know we can use our pet in battle and still be training them.
Pets don't have that much of an impact on a pirate's progress through the game, there would be no slow-down by limiting a pet's level.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012

sorry but think of the nooblets that are just starting out, still shy not wanting to ask for help for fear they'll be rudely rejected or just pride makes them want to figure it out.. but they bought this beautiful pet(or got as a gift etc) and quick-train it(only so far before it gets kinda expensive), and the pet actually saves them.. its a wonderful empowering feeling.. grants are lovely but a true nooblet who doesnt have a max thinks "o goodie another card" whereas if the pet either draws aggro away, heals, buffs or hits? its O: my pet is so amazing.. ty ty pet!

also there are a few of us that have made battle pets on purpose.. example my swashbuckler's verdant owl took down an entire herd of bumbleloon after my crew was dead and all i could do was hide and pray for a doubloon heal.. I was a solo player and if my level 56 owl hadnt chained and killed i'd have had a very long sail back.. i sadly disagree with this idea for all of the reasons others stated as well as the fact it seems too controlling of a player's style of play, especially if they're a solo player..

if i may ask, do you remember the first time you fell in love with P101 pets? its fine to answer this by degrees, as in initially, then i decided, then this happened, now i prefer...

i do understand wanting a challenge for myself, but why wishing things were more difficult for lowbies?

stormy jen silver

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
But what if a Level 10 had no other pirate, then they could not have hybrid pets under your idea.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
stormyjensilverdra... on Jan 31, 2017 wrote:
sorry but think of the nooblets that are just starting out, still shy not wanting to ask for help for fear they'll be rudely rejected or just pride makes them want to figure it out.. but they bought this beautiful pet(or got as a gift etc) and quick-train it(only so far before it gets kinda expensive), and the pet actually saves them.. its a wonderful empowering feeling.. grants are lovely but a true nooblet who doesnt have a max thinks "o goodie another card" whereas if the pet either draws aggro away, heals, buffs or hits? its O: my pet is so amazing.. ty ty pet!

also there are a few of us that have made battle pets on purpose.. example my swashbuckler's verdant owl took down an entire herd of bumbleloon after my crew was dead and all i could do was hide and pray for a doubloon heal.. I was a solo player and if my level 56 owl hadnt chained and killed i'd have had a very long sail back.. i sadly disagree with this idea for all of the reasons others stated as well as the fact it seems too controlling of a player's style of play, especially if they're a solo player..

if i may ask, do you remember the first time you fell in love with P101 pets? its fine to answer this by degrees, as in initially, then i decided, then this happened, now i prefer...

i do understand wanting a challenge for myself, but why wishing things were more difficult for lowbies?

stormy jen silver
You shouldn't be able to hide and let your super pet do the work for you, then the challenge of the battle has just plain disappeared, it's not a play style, it's a major convenience which needs to be removed

Having super pets shouldn't be a playstyle in my opinion so it should be restricted, we just have to make them a fair fight for the enemies is all

I personally have never really fell in love with pets (not yet) just like them for their grants

Pirates now have a much easier challenge than what they did before, with extra epics for their companions, doubloons, the team up feature, their extra grants from pets too!

Pets can still be helpful but it's taken to an extreme and it's misused by players who are simply cruising through the game.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
witchdoctor daruis on Feb 1, 2017 wrote:
You shouldn't be able to hide and let your super pet do the work for you, then the challenge of the battle has just plain disappeared, it's not a play style, it's a major convenience which needs to be removed

Having super pets shouldn't be a playstyle in my opinion so it should be restricted, we just have to make them a fair fight for the enemies is all

I personally have never really fell in love with pets (not yet) just like them for their grants

Pirates now have a much easier challenge than what they did before, with extra epics for their companions, doubloons, the team up feature, their extra grants from pets too!

Pets can still be helpful but it's taken to an extreme and it's misused by players who are simply cruising through the game.
Maybe don't worry so much about what other players are doing that doesn't affect your own game play?

Unless their pets are doing something that interferes with your own pirate and crew (can't think what that might be...), just ignore it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

1. I don't see pirates "cruising through the game" due to pets.
2. The "super" pet phenomenon doesn't last, by the time players reach MooShu that level 70 pet isn't as useful.
3. Pets don't always show up.
Any way, Jen just quoted one example of how useful pets can be for a struggling low level pirate. What if her pet hadn't showed? I'm willing to bet she would have beaten them, but what about that Health Doubloon? Should she have access to that? Wouldn't a doubloon make the battle easier? According to you that should be removed as well.
On another note, you could say this about every piece of boss gear ( like Captain Blood's Jacket ) that it's making the game too easy and boss gear should be nerfed or banned from the pirates using them.
Why does it matter to you that players now have it easier ( and are they? I can point to many posts where the pirate is completely destroyed by the enemy and not one says "if only my pet showed, it wouldn't have happened, lol ) or a few who are "misusing the system"?
Pets used to level with us, they were also mainly useless in battle. ( If not a stumbling block to strategy. )
Let it go - stop trying to control how others choose to play. ( Unless they are actually breaking KI rules and they're not. )

Captain
Sep 19, 2012

pets are much more than fancy pieces of gear.. its one reason why Pirate101 pets are special, and unlike companions might even show back up in a long grueling battle..

i dont use miracle mitch and though my pets have saved me hassle tears and frustration OCCASIONALLY throughout my questing, after nine hours of straight playing(not just whisking through main quests either) its a lovely feeling not to feel bored or that this game is about "the grind" I have died like everyone else and also i don't get irate when a plan fails, however i am appreciative like no other when my pet luckily shows up and helps out.. more often than not i realize i end up learning from it.. wow that was close and phew i'll morph a pet that has a heal card next time, or i'll wait until i have a companion awake with a heal.. etc Either way I feel that pets are more than just a useful tool or accessory to store grants, and if your system was to be put in play, i feel this would the game become less fun. Also please note that to be fair to your suggestion some grants would and should be removed from your pet at time of a level 20 pirate entering a fight thus you'd have 1 power and one talent extra only.. not only would the coding become a nightmare for developers(imo a waste of their time too) it would then matter the ORDER in which your pet manifested its desired traits.. this isn't wizard101 this is pirate101 wherein a pet is more like your greatest ally than a hat.

All this being said, I think this topic should be moved to the Circus Maximus section of the boards.. Normally all posts and ideas, suggestions that are even slightly linked to pets are best posted there.. Because pets are so popular and widely discussed :) they have their own special section.

stormy jen silver

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Honestly Witchdoctor Daruis, what you're proposing sounds like a step back in time, and not for the better.

I don't know how long you've been playing Pirate101 for, however back when the game was first released pets played exactly as you describe (minus the levelling system). Pets were cool then, but realistically they were nothing more than an aesthetically pleasing piece of eye candy, hence the pet overhaul update.

You say that the game isn't challenging when a pet swoops into battle and mops the floor with the enemy, however I don't think you realise or appreciate why that pet exists for that player. That player not only wants the pet to be OP, they spent days, if not months sourcing the powers/talents on that pet, grinding endless piles of gold to breed and train that pet, as well as its parents, its grand parents and so on. In extreme cases actual currency went into crowns to speed up the process. And all for the purpose of having that cute little Bunnycorn turn into Terry Crews with devastatingly awesome effect.

If you don't like the concept of having OP pets join you in battle, then by all means good for you. That's your opinion and you have the right to express it. Worst case scenario there are plenty of other realms for you to play in. However asking KingsIsle to remove the pet overhaul update would be a twisted stab in the back by them that would make a lot of players angry for having wasted so much of their time and money on what is (in my opinion) the hardest challenge this game has to offer, in terms of research, power grinding, resource accumulation and management, social skills (those who spend time in the morphing tent know what I mean) and patience.

I mean no disrespect with this post, merely to offer you some insight from the other side of the coin.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
If you don't want pets higher than your pirate to appear in battle, don't equip them. That is your business.

What I do with my pirates and their pets is my business. We don't need KI to force everyone to conform with what your idea is challenging/fun/fair is, not when you can address that concern for yourself. You should play the game in a way that is most enjoyable for you, and I will play the game the way I find it most enjoyable for me.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
Why is this a topic t last time I checked you couldn't level your pet past your own level and same for companions. One time I made a new char just to avoid people who want to morph their garbage pets with mine and I couldn't do it because none of my pets were high enough level because I want high enough either.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirate101 fan on Feb 9, 2017 wrote:
Why is this a topic t last time I checked you couldn't level your pet past your own level and same for companions. One time I made a new char just to avoid people who want to morph their garbage pets with mine and I couldn't do it because none of my pets were high enough level because I want high enough either.
You can now train your pets beyond your level ( unless you are at max level. ) Companions when recruited will be at least 1 level higher than you, even if you're at max.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Pirate101 fan on Feb 9, 2017 wrote:
I believe you've been mis-informed about the nature of pets. Please read the following update notes:

https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/update_notes/may11

Although I do agree, this thread should be locked, as the response has been quite negative, with more than one person taking the suggestion a bit too personally.

Lieutenant
Oct 26, 2013
anecorbie on Feb 1, 2017 wrote:
1. I don't see pirates "cruising through the game" due to pets.
2. The "super" pet phenomenon doesn't last, by the time players reach MooShu that level 70 pet isn't as useful.
3. Pets don't always show up.
Any way, Jen just quoted one example of how useful pets can be for a struggling low level pirate. What if her pet hadn't showed? I'm willing to bet she would have beaten them, but what about that Health Doubloon? Should she have access to that? Wouldn't a doubloon make the battle easier? According to you that should be removed as well.
On another note, you could say this about every piece of boss gear ( like Captain Blood's Jacket ) that it's making the game too easy and boss gear should be nerfed or banned from the pirates using them.
Why does it matter to you that players now have it easier ( and are they? I can point to many posts where the pirate is completely destroyed by the enemy and not one says "if only my pet showed, it wouldn't have happened, lol ) or a few who are "misusing the system"?
Pets used to level with us, they were also mainly useless in battle. ( If not a stumbling block to strategy. )
Let it go - stop trying to control how others choose to play. ( Unless they are actually breaking KI rules and they're not. )
No need to be a jerk. Everyone has their opinion, and I agree that pets ruin the beginning of the game, but most people with high level pets have a max and don't want to bother with the beginning, I soloed most of the game with a witch before certain nerfs. And a musket in mooshu after. I got into pets after beating kane. Many people who don't have membership morph a pet from finn or another free boss then spend all their time leveling and begging for morphs (this doesn't happen as often as it used to but I still see it) this is used to waste time until they can get membership and they unknowingly ruin the game for themselves.