Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Thoughts About the New Update and Bug Fixes

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 01, 2017
Overall, I think the major parts of the update was a step in the right direction to say the least.

Boss/Side Story Content
They gave us exactly what they said they would, a boss with some side story content. They could definitely expand the storyline in the future. It was decent, a little on the short side, but it's a stepping stone to what could be a side world.

PvP
They added the champion weapons like we have been asking. It alleviates the incentivization of PvP. However, I suggest the entire PvP system still needs to be audited with all of the various bugs and broken aspects in PvP such as RNG, in addition to the ranked queue making it difficult to reach champion without boosting. Like said many times before, side systems like spectating and other inclusive features might help, but PvP and matchmaking is still in a weird spot with the meta not having changed for quite some time, almost to the point of stagnation.

QOL/Bug fixes
They said they would fix some bugs and they did, and in turn I think it made me a little more optimistic about the game. There are still many more bugs mentioned before and quality of life additions that need to be implemented, however.

What are ye thoughts on the new update?

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
RobotPirate30 on Jun 9, 2021 wrote:
Overall, I think the major parts of the update was a step in the right direction to say the least.

Boss/Side Story Content
They gave us exactly what they said they would, a boss with some side story content. They could definitely expand the storyline in the future. It was decent, a little on the short side, but it's a stepping stone to what could be a side world.

PvP
They added the champion weapons like we have been asking. It alleviates the incentivization of PvP. However, I suggest the entire PvP system still needs to be audited with all of the various bugs and broken aspects in PvP such as RNG, in addition to the ranked queue making it difficult to reach champion without boosting. Like said many times before, side systems like spectating and other inclusive features might help, but PvP and matchmaking is still in a weird spot with the meta not having changed for quite some time, almost to the point of stagnation.

QOL/Bug fixes
They said they would fix some bugs and they did, and in turn I think it made me a little more optimistic about the game. There are still many more bugs mentioned before and quality of life additions that need to be implemented, however.

My thoughts are that this is a step in the right direction. They're fixed some longstanding bugs and issues and have actually added new content, nether of which has happened in two years time. Not to mention, there is a "To be continued..." thrown in an the end of the new quests, which brings me hope that we will slowly fall into a regular update schedule again. I don't know if this would even have been possible without Gamigo's support, so I'm looking forward to the future of Pirate101 now.

This is a move that enables our hopes for the future, and should eventually result in even more coming.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

Boss/Side Story Content

PvP

QOL/Bug fixes

I enjoyed it very much, the witchdoctor beast companions have received an update allowing you to give an extra epic and talents (appreciated).
Which specific bugs have been addressed?

Ensign
Aug 23, 2016
Considering this update was done by the Wizard101's development team in their spare time, I AM IMPRESSED.

This bodes well for the future of P101 as the NEW KI has yet to hire a P101 team.

I have yet to hear any negative remarks about the new content.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009

Boss/Side Story Content

PvP

QOL/Bug fixes

It's nice to see another update. I thought the dungeon was pretty fun and CRUSH-tacian is one of my favorite NPC names in the game. Hopefully, this weekend, I'll get more time to farm and see what equipment gets dropped from the dungeon.

I thought the vultures coming back was an interesting choice as minions. I did like that some of the musketeers have Repel Borders. That was a fun touch to make the enemies a little trickier to deal with.

I appreciate giving the animal companions some more epics/talents/powers. I've never played a Witchdoctor, but they always caught me as rather underwhelming in terms of power.

Bug fixes are always appreciated. Also, I am a VERY big fan that they "increased the variety of cheeses offered in the Crown Shop". THIS is the quality of life I subscribe for.

Ultimately, I'm excited to see what we get for more updates. It would be REALLY cool to see a story hint some time this year. But we'll see how it plays out.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl 70

Ensign
Jun 16, 2011
Companions:
- Black Annie and Blightbeard companions now recruit at exact player level
- Added Soul Shroud to Charred Privateer's epic table
- Replaced a dupe talent on Charred Shaman with Bloodsucker rank 3 on all promo tiers
- Added a proper talent selection at level 32 for Giordano Bravo
- Added new housing items and pet snacks to Blightbeard's loot table
- Players can no longer purchase the Yuletide pack if they have already received the companions
- Some animal companions have been buffed with a new power in their repertoire
- (not in patch notes) Carcarius Grimtooth has a new power: Ravenous Fervor, which is a version of Fighting Fervor that only applies to animals.
- (not in patch notes) MINOTAUR SPEEDUP GLITCH WAS NOT PATCHED!
Adventures:
- Fixed the quest helper arrow in the quest "Yak Where We Belong"
- THE ULYSSES SOFTLOCK GLITCH ("Bring Me My Bow!" Quest Softlock) IS NO MORE
- Party Barge quests are now correctly identified as side quests
- (not in patch notes) Firstmate's Boon's effect was halved
- (not in patch notes) Blast of Discord's description was changed
- (not in patch notes) Stormgate to Aquila in Valencia's Aragon Skyway (Valencia 1 Skyway) was changed to Stormgate to Krokotopia
- (not in patch notes) OLD SCRATCH AND BLOOD FLAMES WERE NOT NERFED!
Items and Crown Shop:
- CHAMPION WEAPONS ARE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AGAIN!
- Increased the variety of cheeses that are offered in the Crown Shop
- Housing item "All That and a Mooda" is now sellable
- Added level requirements to all Dark Sea gear
- Updated the "Scavenging" loot tables for Valencia 2
- (not in patch notes) CABIN GLITCH WAS NOT PATCHED!
Graphics and Audio:
- Fixed an issue preventing Trusty Flint Locke from displaying the right variety of wares
- Fixed an animation issue when switching between mounts
- Updated the chat word list to include more in-game terms
Here's the patch notes: https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/update_notes/june2021
Feel free to tell me what else you find that was not mentioned!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Anecorbie, there is now a link to update notes you can click when loading pirate. It lists the bugs fixed.

I am pleased to see this update. Haven't had a chance to run the new Adventure yet - hopefully later today.

-Michael

Admiral
May 30, 2010

Boss/Side Story Content

PvP

QOL/Bug fixes

Given how long we've waited and how much smoke they've blown at us in the past, I'm not ready to be even cautiously optimistic, but at least they've acknowledged that they do have another game besides W101. I'm afraid that it's going to be a case of too little, too late to save the game, but that was a choice that KI made. They can't even argue that they didn't know; we've been pointing out that we need more content to hold onto the pirates that remain and to lure old pirates back for how long now? And how can anyone in good conscience invite someone to start a cool new game knowing they'll be spinning their wheels after they hit Valencia 2?

I'm happy we got something, but I'm going to stick with a wait and see attitude until they do a bit more to show their attitude toward Pirate has changed for the better.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009

Boss/Side Story Content

PvP

QOL/Bug fixes

I enjoyed the new side story content. It was short, just a single dungeon, but it was something.
I liked the level of difficulty, it was a series of challenging fights, without being that level of Valencia II annoying.

And...I'm guessing from the 80/90's wrestling references that we have Blind Mew writing the side the content?
If so, it's great to see new story written by Mew, if it was somebody other than Blind Mew, it was still some good puns and references.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jun 15, 2021 wrote:
Given how long we've waited and how much smoke they've blown at us in the past, I'm not ready to be even cautiously optimistic, but at least they've acknowledged that they do have another game besides W101. I'm afraid that it's going to be a case of too little, too late to save the game, but that was a choice that KI made. They can't even argue that they didn't know; we've been pointing out that we need more content to hold onto the pirates that remain and to lure old pirates back for how long now? And how can anyone in good conscience invite someone to start a cool new game knowing they'll be spinning their wheels after they hit Valencia 2?

I'm happy we got something, but I'm going to stick with a wait and see attitude until they do a bit more to show their attitude toward Pirate has changed for the better.
I agree completely.

I was hoping that the "new side content" would be something ALL pirates could enjoy, like Crafting or Fishing - not yet another combat-oriented, max-level quest line. It was nice, but it was short, and didn't really introduce anything new. I haven't gotten a single new item - and apparently there is only the one weapon, which was bugged and unable to be equipped at Level 70. Even the Scavenging upgrade to include Valencia 2 gear isn't quite right, as we're getting a lot of the common non-class-specific gear from it.

I say, enough with towers and gauntlets and key bosses - how about something new for SHIPS? Ships are so important for Pirates, and one of the ways that make this game different from Wizard101 even more than actual combat.

[like a ship icon for here?]

Administrator
Thanks all for the feedback on the update! We're glad that it hit a lot of the points you were hoping would be resolved or covered, and most importantly that the new content is fun!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Dutch Windmill on Jun 14, 2021 wrote:
Companions:
- Black Annie and Blightbeard companions now recruit at exact player level
- Added Soul Shroud to Charred Privateer's epic table
- Replaced a dupe talent on Charred Shaman with Bloodsucker rank 3 on all promo tiers
- Added a proper talent selection at level 32 for Giordano Bravo
- Added new housing items and pet snacks to Blightbeard's loot table
- Players can no longer purchase the Yuletide pack if they have already received the companions
- Some animal companions have been buffed with a new power in their repertoire
- (not in patch notes) Carcarius Grimtooth has a new power: Ravenous Fervor, which is a version of Fighting Fervor that only applies to animals.
- (not in patch notes) MINOTAUR SPEEDUP GLITCH WAS NOT PATCHED!
Adventures:
- Fixed the quest helper arrow in the quest "Yak Where We Belong"
- THE ULYSSES SOFTLOCK GLITCH ("Bring Me My Bow!" Quest Softlock) IS NO MORE
- Party Barge quests are now correctly identified as side quests
- (not in patch notes) Firstmate's Boon's effect was halved
- (not in patch notes) Blast of Discord's description was changed
- (not in patch notes) Stormgate to Aquila in Valencia's Aragon Skyway (Valencia 1 Skyway) was changed to Stormgate to Krokotopia
- (not in patch notes) OLD SCRATCH AND BLOOD FLAMES WERE NOT NERFED!
Items and Crown Shop:
- CHAMPION WEAPONS ARE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AGAIN!
- Increased the variety of cheeses that are offered in the Crown Shop
- Housing item "All That and a Mooda" is now sellable
- Added level requirements to all Dark Sea gear
- Updated the "Scavenging" loot tables for Valencia 2
- (not in patch notes) CABIN GLITCH WAS NOT PATCHED!
Graphics and Audio:
- Fixed an issue preventing Trusty Flint Locke from displaying the right variety of wares
- Fixed an animation issue when switching between mounts
- Updated the chat word list to include more in-game terms
Here's the patch notes: https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/update_notes/june2021
Feel free to tell me what else you find that was not mentioned!
Thank you for taking the time to list them all (especially the ones not in the update notes).

Developer
CdeWinter on Jun 15, 2021 wrote:
I enjoyed the new side story content. It was short, just a single dungeon, but it was something.
I liked the level of difficulty, it was a series of challenging fights, without being that level of Valencia II annoying.

And...I'm guessing from the 80/90's wrestling references that we have Blind Mew writing the side the content?
If so, it's great to see new story written by Mew, if it was somebody other than Blind Mew, it was still some good puns and references.
80s/90s... am I that old? If it's a 20th century reference it must be me? You wound me...

In point of fact, I did do the final quest writing, but it was very much a team effort from the writing staff - I had to lean on my writers for the wrestling references because I was just never that into wrestling. We brainstormed the basic plot as a group, then I wrote the quests and there was a rapid fire review and polish phase.

It was nice writing for Pirate again. Glad to hear everyone enjoyed the story!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Blind Mew on Jun 16, 2021 wrote:
80s/90s... am I that old? If it's a 20th century reference it must be me? You wound me...

In point of fact, I did do the final quest writing, but it was very much a team effort from the writing staff - I had to lean on my writers for the wrestling references because I was just never that into wrestling. We brainstormed the basic plot as a group, then I wrote the quests and there was a rapid fire review and polish phase.

Well, I'm that old and I barely got some of the references (although having brothers helped) How is Fliehr pronounced?

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015

Oh, you! So glad to see your presence again!

What I like is the fact that you clearly plan to expand on this. Else, why would there be a "To Be Continued" at the end of the quest? I eagerly anticipate any possible continuation of this story.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Halloween Chick on Jun 16, 2021 wrote:
I agree completely.

I was hoping that the "new side content" would be something ALL pirates could enjoy, like Crafting or Fishing - not yet another combat-oriented, max-level quest line. It was nice, but it was short, and didn't really introduce anything new. I haven't gotten a single new item - and apparently there is only the one weapon, which was bugged and unable to be equipped at Level 70. Even the Scavenging upgrade to include Valencia 2 gear isn't quite right, as we're getting a lot of the common non-class-specific gear from it.

I say, enough with towers and gauntlets and key bosses - how about something new for SHIPS? Ships are so important for Pirates, and one of the ways that make this game different from Wizard101 even more than actual combat.

[like a ship icon for here?]
Yes, compared to what we might have received, this update is small and exclusive. But, I feel that anything story wise is a benefit to the players/fans of Pirate101. There is more a majority of max-level pirates enjoying the challenge and an intriguing quest.
BTW, the weapon is now at an appropriate level.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009

Hey I'm that old too.

But, I'm sorry I thought I had remembered you posting that 80/90's wrestling was one of your things. Perhaps it was somebody else.

It was more the story and the blatant use of awesomely fun puns that made us think of your writing style anyways.

Ensign
May 21, 2012

Was more expecting of a hint on when's Part 2 is going to arrive, but I'm actually more thankful to see your return on the forums. Welcome back and thanks for the new sidequest. Hopefully we'll get to see more activity from you and the rest of the old Pirate team on the forums like the old days. Anything you can answer regarding the new Stormgate to Krokotopia that appeared in Aragon or if Sinbad's quest has anything to do with such thing in a future update?

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 17, 2021 wrote:
Well, I'm that old and I barely got some of the references (although having brothers helped) How is Fliehr pronounced?
Similar to Flair. It's the wrestler, Ric Flair's real last name. The name that clued me into the references was Rowdy Ratty Piper/ Rowdy Rodney Piper.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Jun 18, 2021 wrote:
Similar to Flair. It's the wrestler, Ric Flair's real last name. The name that clued me into the references was Rowdy Ratty Piper/ Rowdy Rodney Piper.
Yeah, that was the one reference I did get. (So who represents Hulk Hogan and The Rock?)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

I'm enjoying this new side quest so much that I'm going through the dungeon (repeatedly) simply to laugh at the dialogue. Excellent job to you and the team!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

I hope you have the time to answer this question:
As I recall Mirage in W101, Sinbad was a cat (or qhat) similar to Calico Jake but Alboni claims that Sinbad is a Tiger; while the Crush-Tacian says he's a cat. So, is he a cat or a tiger (or "would that be telling")?

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 28, 2021 wrote:
I hope you have the time to answer this question:
As I recall Mirage in W101, Sinbad was a cat (or qhat) similar to Calico Jake but Alboni claims that Sinbad is a Tiger; while the Crush-Tacian says he's a cat. So, is he a cat or a tiger (or "would that be telling")?
I know this isn't an answer.
But perhaps Sinbad is a cat, but his crew spreads the rumour that he's a tiger.
Sinbad is the epitome of exaggerated sea tales. Even in the Arabian Nights, Sinbad came across as an old salt, just telling tall tales of the sea.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
CdeWinter on Jun 29, 2021 wrote:
I know this isn't an answer.
But perhaps Sinbad is a cat, but his crew spreads the rumour that he's a tiger.
Sinbad is the epitome of exaggerated sea tales. Even in the Arabian Nights, Sinbad came across as an old salt, just telling tall tales of the sea.
Sinbad has already appeared in Wizard101. He's not necessarily a tiger, but rather has the appearance of a Quat from Mirage. He has the appearance of a tabby cat. And yes, he does possess incredible bravado.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Lookit Light on Jun 30, 2021 wrote:
Sinbad has already appeared in Wizard101. He's not necessarily a tiger, but rather has the appearance of a Quat from Mirage. He has the appearance of a tabby cat. And yes, he does possess incredible bravado.
Aren't a tiger and a cat are distant cousins? So the references could both be appropriate and interchangeable, either a compliment or a slight, depending on who is saying which?