Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pop culture reference No. 1

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 01, 2011
Hiya people! this is a pop culture reference board, here pirates are free to talk about the names of people in p101 and say who they relate to, my first on is.... eep-ok-ork-ah-ah he is from a old timey jetsons song and one of the funniest references i can think of! oh well Have Fun Pirates!

Fearless Caleb Hawkins, a die hard buccaneer

Community Leader
The first one I really laughed at (and this was early in the game, so that's a good sign) was when I realized, upon meeting him, who Fin Dorsal was supposed to be. The name didn't jump out as super obvious, so until you fight him, you don't notice the reference. Nice work, KI!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
Well, my daughter and I both think that Jonah Town seems a lot like Cabot Cove Maine ("Murder She Wrote").

Ensign
Nov 04, 2010
I love the one where you "save" Ratbeard. The boss you have to beat has the name Chumbawumba, which is the name of a band. Your companions say part of the lyrics to one of their the song too. You also can get a badge called "Tubthumping" which is the name of the song. That reference made my day! I tell you, Pirate101 is one of my favorite games of all time!

Clever Cole,

Say hi if you ever see me in the Spiral!

Ensign
May 17, 2011
pop culture reference #2: THE FUNKY BUNCH

-Dark Amber
(Yep, I forgot the name of the dude who is with the funky bunch (and therefore the monkey that has the same name), but still an awesome little easter egg!)

Community Leader
laulenak on Nov 9, 2012 wrote:
pop culture reference #2: THE FUNKY BUNCH

-Dark Amber
(Yep, I forgot the name of the dude who is with the funky bunch (and therefore the monkey that has the same name), but still an awesome little easter egg!)
Maquis Marque / "Marky" Mark Wahlberg

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
May 17, 2011
Talkin The Plank on Nov 9, 2012 wrote:
thank you.

-Dark Amber

Ensign
Dec 11, 2010
There are so many refernces...its awesome. One of my favorites is the sheriff in Coopers, Rooster Cogburn. Its the name of a John Wayne movie.

Administrator
cps2001 on Nov 9, 2012 wrote:
I love the one where you "save" Ratbeard. The boss you have to beat has the name Chumbawumba, which is the name of a band. Your companions say part of the lyrics to one of their the song too. You also can get a badge called "Tubthumping" which is the name of the song. That reference made my day! I tell you, Pirate101 is one of my favorite games of all time!

Clever Cole,

Say hi if you ever see me in the Spiral!
This is definitely one of my favorites in the game too.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Oct 24, 2012
I love all of the monkeys! Gortez, Donkey Hotay, Pancho Sanza. Hilarious!

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
Most of the ones that hit me are in Cool Ranch and some in Mooshu, for instance Josey Quails referring to the Clint Eastwood movie 'The Outlaw Josie Wales'. The duck with no name, The man with no name was another Eastwood character. Libirdy Valence, from a really old western, 'The man who shot Liberty Valence',
The Free Ranger and Tonka, obviously the Lone Ranger and Tonto. Nathen Birdette, refers to the bad guy in a John Wayne movie, El Toro is obviously Zorro.
in Mooshu Motimori is an obvious reference to Iron Chef Morimoto
I do kind of wish that they'd added Calamity to Jane Canary's name, and of course I'd be surprised if anyone missed Bonnie Anne being a reference to the pirate Anne Bonney.

There are a lot more that have made me laugh, but I think I've sucked up enough space here for now.

Community Leader
I haven't gotten a quest from him yet, but in the Santa Pollo tavern I spotted a brown-coated chicken named Captain Reynolds that I'm hoping is just the first in a string of Firefly jokes. Three of my five pirates are named after the same show - privateer Malcolm, red-headed swashbuckler Saffron, and Zoe my Browncoat muskateer.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
My favourite so far the Monty Python reference during Gespard's fist promotion quest. "Nobody expects the Monquisition!"

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Ruby Blades on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
Well, my daughter and I both think that Jonah Town seems a lot like Cabot Cove Maine ("Murder She Wrote").

No it's based on the Bible Story Jonah in a funny way.

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
Sniper Rose on Nov 13, 2012 wrote:
No it's based on the Bible Story Jonah in a funny way.
If you listen to the voices of the characters, they sound very much like the characters in the old TV show "Murder She Wrote," Doc Haslet, and Sheriff Tupper, and even the elderly woman in the tavern could be a spin on Jessica Fletcher (though she hasn't said anything yet). The story itself may be a bible story, but the characters remind me and my daughter of Cabot Cove.

Ensign
Dec 11, 2010
In Santo Pollo's tavern I ran into the Dos Amigos et Uno....The Three Amigos. I was expecting a quest to find the invisable swordsman. I almost spit coffee onto my screen when talking to them they stopped playing music and did the 3 amigos salute. LOL

Ensign
Jan 28, 2009
One of my favorites was Bonne Annes promotion, the Gal with the Golden Gun. The Man with the Golden Gun. That made my day!

Also, Iron Monkey(From the WIng Chun companion promotion for me) was actulally the name of a real 1993 film.

Ensign
May 01, 2012
Diegokid on Nov 18, 2012 wrote:
In Santo Pollo's tavern I ran into the Dos Amigos et Uno....The Three Amigos. I was expecting a quest to find the invisable swordsman. I almost spit coffee onto my screen when talking to them they stopped playing music and did the 3 amigos salute. LOL
lol , now I am going to have to play some more , just to see that :)

Ensign
May 01, 2012
Oh and just got done with the whole Gortez mission...

The quest "The Heart of Darkness" was the name of the documentary for Apocalypse Now , Hopper the frog , is Dennis Hopper in that movie , Gortez is Marlon Brando's Character , and says a few lines similar to the movie , "The aura....The aura" lol

Community Leader
Diegokid on Nov 18, 2012 wrote:
SPOILER ALERT! Once you get the Amigo's outfit put together, there is a quest to go to the sing for the musical cactus and summon the invisivle swordsman. Don't know how this turns out as I haven't done it yet, but thought you'd want to know

Ensign
Jan 17, 2010
I was listening to my wife talk loudly about something in the room (probably about how I play Pirate101 too much) when I initiated my fight with Chumbawumba. My first thought was, obviously, "I get knocked down", so I guess this guy will keep getting up again."

Imagine my surprise when things took an immediate left turn and he said his first words "Gugu! Goonigugu!"

I literally spit coke on my screen, I was holding my stomach and fell out of my chair. Thinking I had lost my mind, I had to slow down to explain to her that it's a nonsensical phrase the Eddie Murphey worked into his Raw act back in the 80's. I guess the fact that I was expecting music references, it caught me off guard.

Fantastic work because it was followed up by the entire crew's conversation about getting back up again.

Ensign
Jan 28, 2009
I can't believe I forgot this! The Rat Pack! Sammy Davis, Sammy Davies(I think that was the enemy name..), and I do think there was a Dean Martin reference as well. Not sure if there was one involving Frank Sinatra, though. That was a good one.

Ensign
Jun 05, 2008
frankie blue-eyes and peter law as part of the rat pack to

Manny, Mo, and Jack all the way at the start of the Ratbeard arc (Pep boys mascots)

Petty Officer
Dec 16, 2009
Talkin The Plank on Nov 9, 2012 wrote:
I thought it as Marquis Mark.

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
Geographic Muskete... on Nov 20, 2012 wrote:
I can't believe I forgot this! The Rat Pack! Sammy Davis, Sammy Davies(I think that was the enemy name..), and I do think there was a Dean Martin reference as well. Not sure if there was one involving Frank Sinatra, though. That was a good one.
yes there was, the rat pack mains are Sammy Davies, Martin Dean, And Frankie Blue Eyes. Each of them makes at least one reference to their own music.