Pop culture reference No. 1

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
165
I like the Duck of Death name. Duke of Death, Duck of Death. It made me laugh.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
133
And I wouldve gotten away with it too if it weren't for you medaling pirates. Anyone ever seen Scooby Doo?

Ensign
Dec 17, 2012
8
Tyson in cool ranch the Chicken boxer. Named from Iron Mike Tyson and a brand of store bought chicken. Hattori Hamzu in mooshu the name of a famous sword maker Hatori Hanzo. Coinsidentally making a samarai sword for buccaneers.

Ensign
Dec 30, 2011
37
Mogatu the water mole said..."Hold the Line!...water mole guards always on time"... anyone remember the group Toto? hold the line...love isnt always on time?

Ensign
Jun 06, 2012
8
Joe 101 on Jan 23, 2013 wrote:
I have one, too! Nanu Nanu, my watermole spearman. Nanu Nanu was how Robin Williams, while in a TV show (which the name slips my mind) of when he was an alien, greeted. More thought from Cautious Joseph :-)
He was Mork on Mork & Mindy. That show... was so good.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2012
8
Charlie Keaton and Buster Chaplin are two wharf rats you fight in a quest. They are parodies of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, silent film stars.

Ensign
Nov 27, 2009
4
In order to defeat General Tso you must threaten his chicken.

Coffee came out of my nose on that one.

There is a Jorge el Curioso (Curious George) that made me laugh also.

I love all of the pop culture and historical references.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2012
8
Ensign
Jun 06, 2012
8
Christopher Clark and Meriwether Clark are Christopher Columbus, William Clark, and Meriwether Lewis.

Hidden Valley Ranch is a parody of Hidden Valley ranch dressing.

In Cool Ranch, there is a chicken named Amy Oakley. This is a parody of Annie Oakley.

Petty Officer
May 22, 2011
86
I have no idea why nobody guessed this, but skull island is like the carribean and america. Since Marleybone is obviously England, it has a claimed area there. Same with Monquista being Spain. Also, the Monquistition (or Cool Ranch) obviously is Mexico. Since the Monquisition is fighting against the king and queen, you can see why I think they represent Mexico. But Cool Ranch also represents how Mexico Looked back then.

Sincerely,
Esperenza Drighton Level 23 Swashbuckler

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
133
Ratbeard' second promotion quest, talking to Captain Fowl, he says something to the effect of, "My name is Ratbeard, you killed my father... prepare to die." That's a great Princess Bride reference.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
273
Angus Thunderpants on Nov 19, 2012 wrote:
Oh and just got done with the whole Gortez mission...

The quest "The Heart of Darkness" was the name of the documentary for Apocalypse Now , Hopper the frog , is Dennis Hopper in that movie , Gortez is Marlon Brando's Character , and says a few lines similar to the movie , "The aura....The aura" lol
Don't make fun of the aura

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
131
In the musketeer quest to get rain of mortar shells you have to talk to a hermit named Ben ring a bell for any star wars fans? Also apparently Egg Shen is the name of Chinese magician in some movie. (My friend told me)

Quiet Zachary Armstrong

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
133
In Bonnie Anne's third promotion quest, there is a barrel of fishfingers and custard. Thank you KI for the awsome Dr. Who reference.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
273
Joe 101 on Jan 23, 2013 wrote:
I think I may have another one. Lucky Jack Russel (this is a stab in the dark but here we go) might be a spin off of Captain Jack Sparrow, from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean movies? I don't know, I just now thought that.
I doubt it

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
234
Did anyone notice Kobe Yojimbo does the Tim Tebow pose when he wins a battle?

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
160
The entire Ithica story is a parody of the Greek mythology story, "The Odyssey", with Ulysses portraying Odysseus. When Odysseus returns home from his long journey he finds that he is presumed dead and that suitors are swarming his wife. soon enough, Odysseus charges his palace, and along with the aid of his son, kills the suitors, and retakes his home. and Laestrygon, sirens, and Scylla were all roadblocks on Odysseus's way home.

Petty Officer
Dec 30, 2012
57
Master criminal Meowiarty's name comes from the name of Sherlock Holmes' nemesis, Professor Moriarty.
Something I'm not proud of knowing at all: Samoorai General Tso shares the same name with the Space Chicken general from Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Ensign
Jul 05, 2012
36
Has no one gotten the Yum-Yum fruit yet?
I'm 98% sure that it is based off of Luffy's devil fruit in the anime One Peice, the Gum-Gum fruit.
I'm kinda surprised there aren't more One Peice references, but I loved the DBZ in Subata.
My favorite line so far is after se collect the second or third turtle ball and the Monkey King says, "Gotta catch 'em all!" like in Pokemon.
Oh, and the governer of Port Regal and his daughter, Mable remind me alot of Govener Swann and Elizabeth from Pirates of the Caribbean.
-Fair Charlotte Firth, level 53 Musketeer

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
34
TackUpwind on Jun 17, 2013 wrote:
Has no one gotten the Yum-Yum fruit yet?
I'm 98% sure that it is based off of Luffy's devil fruit in the anime One Peice, the Gum-Gum fruit.
I'm kinda surprised there aren't more One Peice references, but I loved the DBZ in Subata.
My favorite line so far is after se collect the second or third turtle ball and the Monkey King says, "Gotta catch 'em all!" like in Pokemon.
Oh, and the governer of Port Regal and his daughter, Mable remind me alot of Govener Swann and Elizabeth from Pirates of the Caribbean.
-Fair Charlotte Firth, level 53 Musketeer
I was never a huge fan of anime, but I think I missed the DBZ reference. What was it?

Speaking of Mooshu though, I did really enjoy a lot of the old movie and folklore references. Moo Manchu (Fu Manchu), Lo Pan (Big Trouble in Little China), Stormzilla (Godzilla, and the rest of the Kaiju/Giant Monster genre), Stupendor-X (Mazinger-Z), Miss Owens (Anna Leonowens from The King and I), Monkey King (Journey to the West), and that one action/revenge movie that Wan Mo, Hattori Hamzo (partially), and the Scarlet Orchid Tea Room reference that we shouldn't talk about.

Also in Aquila: "IT'S NOT A RUMOR!"

Fair Skies and Following Seas,
~~ Aeolian Dust

Ensign
Jul 05, 2012
36
Aeolian Dust on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
I was never a huge fan of anime, but I think I missed the DBZ reference. What was it?

Speaking of Mooshu though, I did really enjoy a lot of the old movie and folklore references. Moo Manchu (Fu Manchu), Lo Pan (Big Trouble in Little China), Stormzilla (Godzilla, and the rest of the Kaiju/Giant Monster genre), Stupendor-X (Mazinger-Z), Miss Owens (Anna Leonowens from The King and I), Monkey King (Journey to the West), and that one action/revenge movie that Wan Mo, Hattori Hamzo (partially), and the Scarlet Orchid Tea Room reference that we shouldn't talk about.

Also in Aquila: "IT'S NOT A RUMOR!"

Fair Skies and Following Seas,
~~ Aeolian Dust
In Dragon Ball Z they are trying to get the Dragon Balls, while in Subata you must collect all the Turtle Balls. It's a pretty direct corillation. I absolutely loved Stupendor-X! What Japanese-ish story would be complete without a giant Mech suit?
-Fair Charlotte Firth, Level 54 Musketeer

Ensign
Jun 10, 2011
13
The quest Hao Soon is Nao is a reference to the song "How Soon is Now"

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
160
TackUpwind on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
In Dragon Ball Z they are trying to get the Dragon Balls, while in Subata you must collect all the Turtle Balls. It's a pretty direct corillation. I absolutely loved Stupendor-X! What Japanese-ish story would be complete without a giant Mech suit?
-Fair Charlotte Firth, Level 54 Musketeer
There are more correlations than just the turtle balls. Cao Tzu is Kind of Like Kame, the Dragon Ball's creator. not to mention that the for shrines are Like the Villages on Namek that holds the Namekian Dragon balls. And Wing Chung's Mega critical has what looks like a Kamehameha wave at the end.

I am a DBZ expert/Super fan. I will post any more if I find them.

Ensign
Jul 05, 2012
36
Just found another one in Marleybone. When you are fighting the Kurgahs on the Isle of Fetch, one of the soldier comanions you can get is called Private Mills and then you go on a quest called They're Grrrreat! Did I mention that the Kurgahs were tigers?
-Fair Charlotte Firth, Level 57 Musketeer

Ensign
Nov 09, 2012
3
While doing Bonnie's Fox Highlander quest again, I laughed so much my sides ached ;) when the NPC Felix said "makes your heart go pitter pat, don't it?"