Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers only

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 20, 2008
totallyawesomepira... on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:
Where were you guys raised? I was raised in Scrimshaw, which ultimately got me some pretty good dodge rates. I've a feeling a lot of people are gonna say MooShu, but ya never know, a Swash. could be born Marleybone as well! Or Krocktopia! (I'd like to find someone who is)

Merciless Emma Jenkins, Lvl 39
I have a pirate that came from krockutopia it was my first ever so i didn't know my mistake

Ensign
May 03, 2009
I'm wondering what are some good places to farm for a lvl 58 swashbuckler pvp wise.
I'm currently farming Frair sand, the four Monkey kings, and the guardians is there anywhere else that's
Good.
Btw I got frair sands sword and it has a cool power, I know it's not stabby (misspelled ) but should I
use it

Plz reply

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
Midnight pirate on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
I'm wondering what are some good places to farm for a lvl 58 swashbuckler pvp wise.
I'm currently farming Frair sand, the four Monkey kings, and the guardians is there anywhere else that's
Good.
Btw I got frair sands sword and it has a cool power, I know it's not stabby (misspelled ) but should I
use it

Plz reply
Personally, I would just level up to 60 that way you can use the best gear for your Swashbuckler. Also, I wouldn't use Friar Sand's weapon because it would lower your damage too much for PVP but it's up to you.

Weapon: Blades of Shade – Slashy/Stabby: 160 to 266 Magical Damage, +7 Armor, +20% Armor Penetration, Bonus from Agility dropped from Cadmus in The Caves of Ruin on Illios. You gain access to this boss during your Magnificient Seven Companion's promotion quest at Level 60 or 62.

Grohl in Nevermind Cave on Knossos drops the best outfit gear (Hats, Outfits, and Boots) for all classes and is by far the easiest and quickest boss to farm in Aquila. You gain access to him by completing the side quest Them Crooked Vultures.

Hats:
Lofus Gothicus: +12 Agility, +11 Armor, Gives Ability: Vicious Charge
Helm of Athena: +12 Agility, +11 Armor, Gives Ability: Leviathan’s Call
Crest of Faunus: +8 Damage, +11 Armor, Gives Ability: Assassin’s Strike

Outfits:
Arms of Athena: +12 Agility, +18 Armor, Gives Ability: The Big Guns
Satyric Lorica: +12 Agility, +18 Armor, Gives Ability: Mojo Storm
Chaotic Cloak: +8 Damage, +18 Armor, Gives Ability: Critical Strike +3 (Melee)

Boots:
Satyric Shoes: +12 Agility, +11 Dodge, Gives Ability: Assassin’s Strike
Chaotic Knimis: +8 Damage, +12 Dodge, Gives Ability: Revive
Shoes of Faunus: +8 Damage, +12 Dodge, Gives Ability: Valor’s Fortress

Zeena in the Palace of the Amazons in Achaea and Diskylos in the Lair of Shadows in Illios drop Totems, Charms and Rings. Some people have better luck with Zeena, while others have found the gear from Diskylos, so try your luck with both. Personally, I have not been lucky with either so I still need a few of the items below.

Totems:
Asclepius’ Talisman/Asclepius’ Eye Bower: +8 Damage, +3 Agility, Gives Ability: Valor’s Fortress
Paeon’s Healing Patch: +8 Damage, +3 Agility, Gives Ability: Revive

Charms:
Stygian Medallion: +8 Damage, +3 Agility, Gives Ability: Back Stab
Medallion of Hermes: +8 Damage, +3 Agility, Gives Ability: Great Juju

Rings:
Ring of Hector: +8 Damage, +3 Agility, Gives Ability: Critical Strike +3 (Melee)

Pick and choose which powers work best for how you play. Also, I only listed the Melee power gear so if you want some Muskteer power gear let me know. You might find some better Totems, Charms and Rings that you like more from Marleybone and MooShu, but I definitely would stick to Aquila for your outfit gear.

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
What did you guys spend your practice points on?

I spent all of mine on passive talents that don't clog up my powers list.

Witchdoctor chain to Resistance 2 = 6 total
15% increase to Spooky is great for our poisons cards. As well, having some resistance against Muskteers and Witchdoctors is better than none at all.

Privateer chain to Elusive 2 = 6 total
Slashy Weapons 2 is an obvious must have, along with Elusive 2 which increases our dodge when we're below 50%.

Buccaneer chain to Armored 2 = 5 total
Just did this to increase my Armor.

I still have 3 practice points remaining overall.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Midnight pirate on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
Good.
use it

Plz reply
You best way to find out is to equip it and then go to your Character screen "select letter C" and look at your weapon's total damage. Then compare it to your current weapon. This should help you to decide if that one round immunity is worth any loss of power or if it turns out to be better all around or not.

Ensign
Nov 21, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
You best way to find out is to equip it and then go to your Character screen "select letter C" and look at your weapon's total damage. Then compare it to your current weapon. This should help you to decide if that one round immunity is worth any loss of power or if it turns out to be better all around or not.
The thing about swashbucklers are that I've observed that privateers don't dodge as much as swashbucklers and are not as agile. Also it describes me because I like to be in the heat of battle and like to be involved. But what really appeals is the fact of the term swashbuckler dating back to the 16th century. It's just really compelling to be one and to know the history and advantages to becoming this class. I love the swash class so much that's why I play as the swashbuckler so much.

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
This one is kinda unnoticeable but you can get a Bison Raider (not sure if its called that but is one of the big burly bison buccaneers) if you start the Quest for Burly's Gold. You have to go to Crystal cave after Dan Drake says too and then Bonnie Anne will mention the Axe when you enter. Bring that to Bison Village and you will get one. Kind of like a side quest in a side quest. Hope this helps.

Rule

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
What level were you guys when you did Port Regal? I entered at 30 Fort Elena quest now 32. Is this high because Port Regal is going really fast for me (partly because I have a bison galleon :p).
Rule

Petty Officer
Mar 11, 2011
Bengalstar on Jun 21, 2013 wrote:
First of all, I would train in heals since you can use them while you're hidden. I'd also train in some buffs so you can use them while you're hidden. The walk in darkness helps if you want to use some buffs or heal yourself without getting hit. It helps a lot when it comes to life or death situations. Second, get all your companions to a high level. Bonnie Anne gets her 3rd promotion around level 30 and her fourth at about level 56

~Noble Mistydove, level 65 Swashbuckler
Bonnie Anne doesn't have four promotions, she only has three. The second one is at level 31-32(some of my pirates got the promo at 33). The third and final one is at level 56-57(same with second promo). I think you may be referring to her tiers?

Jacob

Ensign
Feb 13, 2011
My swashbuckler is still of low level, but can get decent damage. One thing to notice is that if your swashbuckler is from marleybone, keen eyes will give it accuracy advantage to help apply high damage. Also, to get max attack power boost from gear, use swashbuckler-only gear, those give plenty and if there are different variations with different secondary stat boosts, go for the one with accuracy as secondary for maximum damage application. This will make your swashbuckler deadlier. :D

Level 23 Swashbuckler

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
BrownBeard094 on Jan 23, 2014 wrote:
Bonnie Anne doesn't have four promotions, she only has three. The second one is at level 31-32(some of my pirates got the promo at 33). The third and final one is at level 56-57(same with second promo). I think you may be referring to her tiers?

Jacob
Point taken. MistyDove is referring to the four times you have an opportunity to train her.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Here is a helpful hint: If you are still low keep your companions low like 15 levels lower than you, then around 30 go to the Kraken Skulls Tavern and buy TP from him. They may be expensive but you companions will be much lower and you can train them like 4 levels per point. Also I recommend Aquila gear for some of you more advanced pirates out there.

James Underwood, Fencing Master level 46 swashbuckler

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ElijahWaterVault on Mar 15, 2014 wrote:
Here is a helpful hint: If you are still low keep your companions low like 15 levels lower than you, then around 30 go to the Kraken Skulls Tavern and buy TP from him. They may be expensive but you companions will be much lower and you can train them like 4 levels per point. Also I recommend Aquila gear for some of you more advanced pirates out there.

James Underwood, Fencing Master level 46 swashbuckler
Hi Elijah/James, welcome to the message boards. That is a handy tip for inexpensive training but having a companion 15 levels below me isn't going to be much help in a tough fight. I tend to keep them about 3 levels below me so I get one level per tome, except for my first mate which I always keep at my level.

Please keep up the great tips, we love tips here.

Ensign
Oct 11, 2009
Hi, I am currently a level 42 Swashbuckler in Mooshu, I find that when fighting my companions get hit extremely hard, especially my first mate "El Toro". Leaving me the last person standing and I really can't do much at that point. If any of you have any tips I would love it, I know you guys must have gone through a similar problem, thanks.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Fearless Daniel Sh... on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
Hi, I am currently a level 42 Swashbuckler in Mooshu, I find that when fighting my companions get hit extremely hard, especially my first mate "El Toro". Leaving me the last person standing and I really can't do much at that point. If any of you have any tips I would love it, I know you guys must have gone through a similar problem, thanks.
Hi Daniel, Welcome to the message boards. One piece of great advice from Ratbeard is: "Protect your squishies" Your swashbuckler companions can dish out a lot of damage but they need protection. Have some buccaneers around to protect them. Farm for some gear that you can protect them with. Valor's Armor and Valor's fortress have saved many a hard hitting fighter for me. Get some gear that increases their main agility. And some gear that increases their accuracy and dodge. Increasing their dodge will help then to avoid getting hit in the first place. They can be some great damage dealers for you but you need to watch their backs so they can do the work for you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
wiz11110 on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
Since there is a "Musketeers only" post I thought why not make a Swashbucklers only post? This is a post for swashbucklers to give advice and thoughts about anything Swashbuckler.
First tip, make sure to do the metal side quest in Flotsam, it will get all swashbucklers a free companion that can upgrade at lvl 31.

Bristly Kevin
Which quest is that and who give it?

Ensign
Aug 15, 2011
Dead Eye Luke on Jun 29, 2013 wrote:
Yes i have a level 50 swashbuckler. I love learning the weaknesses of the swashbuckler to destroy them in the pvp arena. Anyways...

Always ALWAYS take out the musketeers first...
Sarah Steele and Bonnie Anne are great companions. Train them hard.
El Toro is also a great companion, train him up.
Word of WARNING, swashbuckler companions do lose some of their shine in marleybone, due to the musketeers.

See you in the spiral, but as Dead-eye Luke, level 65
Why do the swashbuckler companions always have less life then other companions? When do you get other good companions? I have my Sarah Steele up high and when I get a new companion they are worse why is that?

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Swashbuckler companions have low health but high dodge and damage. Because of that, this is my strategy with my level 52 Swashbuckler and Swashbuckler companions:
  1. 1) I try to train all my Swashbuckler companions with the following epics: Riposte 1 (Riposte does way more damage than First Strike), Repel Boarders 1 (to draw retaliation so Riposte can be activated more), Riposte 2, and then Relentless (if possible). As long as there is more than one enemy left, you can position your Swashes with Repel Boarders each turn so that the enemies you’re not attacking will likely follow you and Repel Boarders will go off almost every round, usually activating more crushing Ripostes if the enemy retaliates. Also, if you know how to use Flanking well, I put Flanking 1 on every companion that I can (Swash or not). It gives them a guaranteed free attack almost every round.
  2. 2) Train all Swashbuckler companions with the following abilities in this order: Dodge to max, Accuracy to max, Rough to max, then usually Agility to max (especially if they have Relentless).
  3. 3) Although I love Bonnie and Sarah a lot, I keep El Toro as my first mate and use his Dodge/Accuracy buff immediately each battle.
  4. 4) For my own gear, I look for Dodge first, then Damage, then Agility.

With this setup I am easily tearing through Mooshu. My Swash companions (particularly Toro and Sarah) beat the snot out of the melee competition with their Riposte2/Repel Boarders/(and Relentless for Toro). If there is a witchdoctor or musketeer, I gang up on them first until they’re dead. The melee enemies will die just from trying to attack me and my companions. Most battles my pirate doesn’t get scratched even though I wade right in the middle of everything. I’ve replaced Walk in Darkness with Grand Shadowdance as my first move because I usually want the enemy to attack me since they hardly ever hit, and my multiple first strikes and riposte will critical about ½ or 1/3 of the time for the next 5 rounds.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
...continued from previous post:

I know things will be different when I start having to fight more musketeers later on. At that point I expect I’ll be putting more musketeers on the top of my crew list with Quick Draw and Burst Fire. (Chip in, those of you who are higher level and know the best strategies here.) But for now my Swashbucklers are ruling the world.

Oh yeah, and to save gold on training companions: Until I get to max level, I don’t train any companion unless they can gain a full level off of a single training tome. In fact I only train my top row of companions that way (who appear the most often). I won’t train my 2nd row unless they can gain two full levels off of a single training tome, 3 levels for the 3rd row, etc. It has worked out well for me that way since the strong companions always balance out the weak companions, and I hardly ever have to buy training tomes.

Ensign
Oct 18, 2013
wiz11110 on Jun 30, 2013 wrote:
It starts in Jonah Town, sorry about that mixup, there is a guy by the place where the skipper is. He is in the crows nest, he start you on a quest to get metal, then, once you get everything, you go down to Gullet and get a new quest that gives you the companion.

Bristly Kevin
Where is the crows nest?