Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Funny/Ironic Names

AuthorMessage
Commodore
May 31, 2009
Hello, my fellow Pirates! *Hands out yum and cake*

Well, the title says it all. Have you seen any Pirates with funny or ironic names out in the Spiral? Some of the ones I've seen or made up are:

Hannah Abbott (Harry Potter character)
Lily Evans (Harry Potter's mom)
Ulysses Grant
Martin Freeman (plays the character of Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit)
Tim Burton
Charlotte Webb
Tiny Tim
Morgan Freeman
Honest Abe
Chris Cringle
Sam Underhill
Charlie Gordon (Flowers for Algernon)
Daniel Radcliffe
Holly Webb (author)

What are some that you've seen?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jul 7, 2014 wrote:

Well, the title says it all. Have you seen any Pirates with funny or ironic names out in the Spiral? Some of the ones I've seen or made up are:

Ulysses Grant
Tim Burton
Charlotte Webb
Tiny Tim
Morgan Freeman
Honest Abe
Chris Cringle
Sam Underhill
Daniel Radcliffe
Holly Webb (author)

I'm going to start paying more attention to names, Misty! But I did have a witchdoctor character at one time called Black Pearl!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
MistyDragon13 on Jul 7, 2014 wrote:

Ulysses Grant
Tim Burton
Charlotte Webb
Tiny Tim
Morgan Freeman
Honest Abe
Chris Cringle
Sam Underhill
Daniel Radcliffe
Holly Webb (author)

What a fun and great idea for a thread!

I saw an Isaac Newton on the Avery's Court Cam in the latest edition of the Newsletter. He had the badge of Academician too, which I thought was pretty clever! And you can't have the Sam Underhill without the Ann(e) Radcliffe (English Author/Novelist).

Here's a list of a few that can be made when creating a Boy pirate. I've only seen a couple actually in game, most are ones that I noticed during pirate naming. Some of them are spelled slightly different from their real life/fictional counterparts

Presidential and Political Pirates
  • James Carter (39th President)
  • Zachary Taylor (12th President)
  • Andrew Jackson (7th President)
  • Jesse Jackson (civil rights activist)
  • Michael Collins (Irish revolutionary)

Make Believe Pirates (somewhat)
  • James Kirk (Star Trek, love that middle name Tiberius!)
  • John Carter (movie sharing same name)
  • Davy Jones (Locker dweller...and a real life member of The Monkees)

Acting like pirates
  • Brian Cranston (actually Bryan)
  • Samuel Jackson
  • Colin Firth
  • Michael Landon
  • James Stuart (actually Stewart)
  • Adam West (BATMAN!!!)
  • Warwick Davis (Willow, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)
  • Aedan Quinn (actually Aidan)
  • Robert Englund
  • Michael Ironside
  • Jean Kelly (actually Gene)
  • Zachary Gordon (Diary of a Wimpy Kid)

Melodious Pirates
  • Michael Jackson
  • Brad(ley) Paisley
  • Luis Armstrong (actually Louis)

Sporty Pirates
  • Sunny Liston (actually Sonny- American Heavyweight boxer)
  • James Naismith (Canadian who invented the sport of basketball)
  • Kyle Orton (NFL Quarterback)
  • Michael Jordan (Air Jordan)
  • Orlando Pace (ex- NFL Offensive Lineman)
  • Jason Kidd (retired NBA player)
  • Jonathon Quick (NHL Goalie)

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Well, you got Sam Underhill though it should be Sam Gamgee.
But you missed Anne Radcliffe, named after an 18th C English writer, Ann Radcliffe.
I also have seen, and though about creating a William Kidd, or and Edward Teach, otherwise known as Captain Kidd, and Blackbeard respectively.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Thank you for the Yum and cake, Misty Dragon. Mmmm, sweets... "Charlotte Webb" I think is particularly clever. I don't know if my name is funny or ironic, but Anne Radcliffe is definitely a nod to:

Ann Radcliffe - famous 18th C. author (in fact when I saw Radcliffe on the pirate name list, I instantly thought of her!)

My musketeer character is:

Maria Mitchell (19th C. astronomer & mathematician)

The first time I played the game, I saw a William Blake (18th C. poet and visionary artist), which I also thought quite clever. I have also seen an Isaac Newton (17th C. mathematician, physicist, and alchemist)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
There are a BUNCH of clever, well read pirates out there, I hope they see this post and reply!

Developer
anecorbie on Jul 8, 2014 wrote:
There are a BUNCH of clever, well read pirates out there, I hope they see this post and reply!
I'm a sucker for Dave Bowman, myself. Now if he'd just stop griping about the pod bay doors...

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I am embarrassed to admit that I beat up "Shelly Duval" before I noticed the name.

One of my favorites is Fin Dorsal (Vin Diesel), who even semi-quotes from one of the Riddick movies the first time you encounter him.

-Indigo

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
It isn't exactly "funny" but I saw someone named Bloody Mary.

Ensign
Oct 30, 2010
Well, I saw two so far, Michael Jackson and Morgan Freeman.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Huh, before this I'd never heard of Ann Radcliffe. Guess I need to go research some authors...and actors...and athletes...and scientists...and everyone else...

I only did the ones I could think of off the top of my head, and by the time that I remembered Edward Teach, the 'edit' button had disappeared.

Thanks to all who replied! That was a really great list, Valkoor!

Now I'm gonna go search through the name lists again to find some more!

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jul 8, 2014 wrote:
Huh, before this I'd never heard of Ann Radcliffe. Guess I need to go research some authors...and actors...and athletes...and scientists...and everyone else...

I only did the ones I could think of off the top of my head, and by the time that I remembered Edward Teach, the 'edit' button had disappeared.

I've read Radcliffe's Mysteries of Udolfo ( mainly because it was mentioned in Jane Austin's Northanger Abbey ) I actually enjoyed it. Though Radcliffe likes to write PAGES describing the beauties of nature.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
MistyDragon13 on Jul 8, 2014 wrote:

Your list was absolutely great, my head just happens to be full of a lot of useless information!

I'm a big, all-types-of-sports fan and I saw a whole lot more real life athletes that could be made from the pirate names, but I didn't think a lot of them would have been known to a lot of people. The rest of the names are ones that I know from my pointless vault as well, just didn't want to reference any movies or material that may not be appropriate for younger audiences.

I'll see what other ones I can dig up!

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
idk any so im going to say phule because he is a fool... I don't pity the fool who messes with me. (get the easter egg?)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Blind Mew on Jul 8, 2014 wrote:
I'm a sucker for Dave Bowman, myself. Now if he'd just stop griping about the pod bay doors...
LOL Love that one. I can't wait to hear someone saying "My mind is going......"

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Found another--Steven Nelson. Steven Sharp Nelson is the cellist in ThePianoGuys. They are so amazing!! If you haven't heard of them, look them up. My favorite songs by ThePianoGuys are: Moonlight, Arwen's Vigil, Berlin, and their mix of Vivaldi's Winter and Let it Go.

Ensign
May 23, 2012
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Blind Mew on Jul 8, 2014 wrote:
Oooh, nice one! How about that pirate, Frank Poole and his worrying about insignificant computer error with that 9000 series! .........sounds a little like famous last words.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
A couple more that I thought were interesting.

- Short Martin (Actor Martin Short- makes me want to watch Innerspace, Pure Luck and The Three Amigos)
- Henri Higgins (character from My Fair Lady- actually Henry, I think)

And I thought these were kind of funny as well

- Black Blake Blake
- Earnest Ernest

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Captain Fowl: "What we have here is a failure to eradicate".

From the movie Cool Hand Luke where "the Captain" (played by Strother Martin) says "What we have here is a failure to communicate" (great movie, if you have not seen it).

-Indigo

Administrator
Tom Jones! With a name like that, it's not unusual to be loved by anyone.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Did anyone else think of William Blake?The poet.

One Eyed Jack,wasn't there another thread about this at some point?

Anecorbie,totally agree on the real Ann Radcliffe,but I am a big fan of Romanticism,and I like good descriptions(of course,I'm very bad at them.

I think I saw the name Portia,as in the Portia in Merchants of Venice.And everyone's noticed that there are a lot of Isaac Newtons out there,but I made my Isaac Newton a witchdoctor.Eventhough,I have always known Isaac Newton as a natural philosopher(and mainly through dynamics and optics, long before I even discovered he was also an alchemist.)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
Tom Jones! With a name like that, it's not unusual to be loved by anyone.
Lol Oh not only is that brilliant but beyond smoothly done.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
Some of these names from movies... The nostalgia is overwhelming!!!