Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Old Scratch No Good!!!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 13, 2009
KIngsisle needs to update Old Scratch and his powers. Whenever I get him in battle he does nothing but die in the first four-five rounds. Please Please Please update Old Scratch. Also does anyone have any tips on what epics I should give him?

Smarmy Mason Easton Level 51

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Hmm My Scratchy is a really wonderful helper for me. Just make sure you give him lots of mojo echo. It really is wonderful to see him hit again and again doing damage each time. Yea he fizzles occasionally but it is the same thing as a block from another companion, it just feels more like a fail but its isn't any different than a block, with the exception of someone having second chance, that is a real bonus. So boost his mojo and his damage along with upping his will and he will once again be a great ranged asset.

Ensign
Apr 25, 2012
He is decent when you first get him but once his summon is out of date and he starts missing half of his attacks i bench him until he promotes. Once you get his promotion he's actually a solid companion just be patient until then.

Community Leader
candylover275 on May 24, 2013 wrote:
KIngsisle needs to update Old Scratch and his powers. Whenever I get him in battle he does nothing but die in the first four-five rounds. Please Please Please update Old Scratch. Also does anyone have any tips on what epics I should give him?

I've had a few instances where Old Scratch mopped the floor with opponents. Make sure you give him as many ranks of Mojo Echo as you can. It really adds some extra damage when it goes off 3 times in a row after an area attack!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
a privateer with scratch is wicked stuff......

Community Leader
Old Scratchs achilles heal has usually been accuracy. He can fizzle/miss a lot.
In tandem with El Toro's accuracy/dodge boost however, he is devastating (with all those epics Plank mentioned).

Occasionally I find myself having to put my bubble armor spell on him, but overall he is one of my most effective companions.

Every situation is different, he will shine in some, and not do so good in others. Players class, and play style will also play a role here. But Scratch is pretty good as he currently stands IMO.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2010
Talkin The Plank on Jun 6, 2013 wrote:
I've had a few instances where Old Scratch mopped the floor with opponents. Make sure you give him as many ranks of Mojo Echo as you can. It really adds some extra damage when it goes off 3 times in a row after an area attack!
my scratch is 60 or 61 he appeared in a battle wit bishop once even know hes on my 4th page of companions. He does not like being benched because he whooped some tail in that battle spamming echo and all that stuff. I am use to him failing to cast most of the time. Seems like if you use his normal attack all 9 blocks need to be empty or just have bad guys on them or its an auto fail. That was my thoughts on scratch, he could use something new mine has echo 2x and i think improved mojo 2x

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I developed the habit of not using him much when the game was new, but of late a couple of my pirates have moved him higher up the list and he is doing pretty well. It helps that with one of the patches they fixed his summoned skeleton so that he scales up as Old Scratch goes up levels - he can be pretty useful these days (if for no other reason than crew with flanking can use him to trigger a flanking attack).

-Indigo

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009

I have promoted him twice, so far, and I gave him Improved Mojo 2, and Mojo Echo 2. He is a very strong companion. He hits multiple enemies at around 600 damage per enemy, and he usually uses Mojo Echo. Just be patient for his second promotion.

Have a Great Day! Lvl 65

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2012
updating his improved mojo to rank 3 has really helped him along with mormo.

First time in a long time i have taking these 2 off the bench while they are not in the top line up (my snake is she is great) they are in the middle

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
I promoted my Old Scratch (nicknamed Dr. Scratch) and gave him Mojo Echo x2 and Coward's Bane. I promoted him a second time and gave him Coward's Bane x2, Readied Spell, and Tough x2, Accuracy x2, and Rough x2. Now he's going hardcore and cleaned the Engineering with Bishop's face. If you try my combo, he'll definitely do better!

Mark Laveer, Buccaneer
Saving the Spiral from disaster!

Ensign
Feb 14, 2013

AGREED old scratch sucks and his powers suck everytime he attacks his spells FIZZLED! so i agree that kingsisle should update old scratch btw give him mojo echo jobu epic and mojo rising

Ensign
Jun 23, 2013
As I have been told he gets stronger and better. Musketeer OUT

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
I have the fang from the hydra I forget what its called but it summons five skeleton hopiltes, combine that with scratchs summon and gracies summon, and you got your self an army, if your not a high enough level to go there, get a friend that can go there and farm with them

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
Unfortunately, for you he is still a WD and not promoted. I gave him mojo echo and now he can use a jobu so he is getting really good. He gets the enemies a lot so he can be useful.. That is, if you promote him.

Pretty Cheryl Walker

Ensign
Nov 20, 2008
I like him. He's useful now and then. If you can just promote him then he's very powerful.

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
CheeryCherry1234 on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
Unfortunately, for you he is still a WD and not promoted. I gave him mojo echo and now he can use a jobu so he is getting really good. He gets the enemies a lot so he can be useful.. That is, if you promote him.

Pretty Cheryl Walker
No wait I have to promote him to a hougan now....

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
TheCoolestPirateAr... on Jun 29, 2013 wrote:
AGREED old scratch sucks and his powers suck everytime he attacks his spells FIZZLED! so i agree that kingsisle should update old scratch btw give him mojo echo jobu epic and mojo rising
I agree with this. Even as a Hougan, he can still sometimes fizzle. Except he doesn't fizzle that much.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
i posted on this topic? i forgot,

anyways no you should give scratch mojo rising, why? because he hardly kills,

give him mojo echo lvl 2 and either mojo blast lvl too or jobu rouse,

if scratch goes last in your list of companions in battle then maybe give him mojo rising, why? because of all you attacks he is gonna get the last blow, so he cal do the last hit, mojo echo some (he MUST! have mojo echo) and then mojo rise onto the next enemy, but i highly recommend giving him mojo blast lvl 2 when he is max he dont miss that much

Promote him!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Speed Switch on Oct 7, 2013 wrote:
i posted on this topic? i forgot,

anyways no you should give scratch mojo rising, why? because he hardly kills,

give him mojo echo lvl 2 and either mojo blast lvl too or jobu rouse,

if scratch goes last in your list of companions in battle then maybe give him mojo rising, why? because of all you attacks he is gonna get the last blow, so he cal do the last hit, mojo echo some (he MUST! have mojo echo) and then mojo rise onto the next enemy, but i highly recommend giving him mojo blast lvl 2 when he is max he dont miss that much

Promote him!
I Wish I could give my Scratchy Jobu Rouse. It's not listed as an option. I use the inoshishi necromancer heavily for his high damage and multiple mojo echos and he has Jobu Rouse and I just love it. That has helped him clear the board for me many a time.

Petty Officer
Mar 29, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 8, 2013 wrote:
I Wish I could give my Scratchy Jobu Rouse. It's not listed as an option. I use the inoshishi necromancer heavily for his high damage and multiple mojo echos and he has Jobu Rouse and I just love it. That has helped him clear the board for me many a time.
I completely agree with that!, my other companions will drink some tea with biscuits if scratch had Jobu Rouse

El Toro: Vultures!, to battle Capta... oh they are gone
Scratch:

Blaze

Petty Officer
Jun 28, 2011
on my musketeer and my swashbuckler old scratch can really fight. if your having a problem with him level him up as much as possible

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
Are you sure this is true? Maybe you just didn't give him a good power combination, and lots of people make that mistake. I got lucky with Scratch's abilities during his promotion, when he mopped the floor with Screech's face! Perhaps you should try a good power combination and you should be on your way!

Mark Laveer, Buccaneer

Ensign
Mar 11, 2013
Old scratch is terrible! He fizzles every single time he makes a move.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Give him mojo echo and improved blast 2 and cowards bane if you choose because he always mojo echos on that and a question does he have readied spell