Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What would you do if...

AuthorMessage
Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Sam Underhill on Sep 23, 2013 wrote:
The Armada Officer boarded his skiff and ordered the skeleton crew to make course for the rendezvous point, so he could transfer to a ship back to headquarters. Let Bishop deal with this lot. Whether the invading pirates succeeded in rescuing the prisoners was no longer a primary concern. Even the map pieces were of secondary importance compared to the news he bore. Kane and his court needed to be informed immediately about the disloyal clockwork displaying independence. In his infinite wisdom, Kane had ordered any loyal soldier who could to report this singular irregularity. No doubt the renegade would be destroyed by a battle angel task force at some point, but for now this officer's mission was to slip through this... impressively large, albeit ragtag... invasion force. He carefully memorized the fleet flags for future reference.
XD It would be rather fun if your wrote that. This clockwork girl is really an experiment by Kane more than anything else, and since she doesn't get in the way of any of the important missions, Kane would leave her alone. (At least, this is what I thought of when I thought of a reason behind Kane making a thinking clockwork girl), thus that armada officer's plan to have the clockwork girl destroyed by a battle angel would have to be one that he leads himself, because Kane knows that the clockwork girl causes no real trouble, as long as she stays out of the way. Which she does, most of the time.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Sam Underhill on Sep 23, 2013 wrote:
Sam had lost all sense of direction. After picking the lock of his own cell, Sam started moving blindly down the corridors. The loud music (was that the Doors blaring?) was overwhelming his already poor balance. Smoke filtered in from everywhere, blocking his vision in the corridors. Where there wasn't smoke, a blinding light cast a glare off the shiny machinery. Sam stumbled over a broken clockwork - fortuitously the very one who had the keys to the cells. He started freeing the rest of the prisoners - six Marleybonian dogs, three Albion foxes, a Valencian unicorn, even a couple of humans (one a forlorn looking musketeer). Sam was trying to lead his ragtag force to the docks when a small explosion rocked the dreadnought. This was not good. They started running, hoping the confusion would keep him and the others from being shot out of hand. Hopefully someone friendly was out there. Even more hopefully that someone would have chocolate and yum (not necessarily in that order).
The clockwork girl nodded to Anne curtly, then strode off in the direction of the library. Somehow she managed to completely ignore all of the blinding lights and deafening sounds, and walked on without any acknowledgement to these hindering things.

Not too long after she headed in the direction of the library did she stumble upon the recently captured pirate and many of the other prisoners. "Hello." She said to them. Her steely gaze swept across the ragtag group of prisoners. She shook her head. "You're going to need a lot of luck to successfully escape the dreadnaught." The clockwork girl sauntered on, neither apprehending the pirates or sending them in the right direction. She was of no threat to either side, clockworks or pirates, and had somehow remained neutral throughout all of the war. She never fought the clockworks or the pirates, although for fun she may tease either group like she did the armada officer that had tried to shoot her earlier.

She certainly had her own thoughts about the war, but she kept them to herself. She never got in the way of Kane's schemes, nor did she ever help the pirates. Teasing the armada officer was something she was going to do regardless of the pirates being there, as she had noticed earlier that he didn't have very much patients. For extra humor, while he wasn't looking, she had disabled his sniper. She somehow had a feeling that it would reach that point. Oh, what great fun that was for her!

The clockwork girl shortly reached the library and nodded to the familiar guard that stood outside of the cove of knowledge.

"Hello, Lebrarius Garde!"

If clockworks could smile, this guard did. "Hello, Knight."

Knight curtsied politely as the library guard opened the grand doors, then headed inside to do some more research on the human personalities.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Chrissy receives a frantic scareakeeet onto her hand and has a bit of a time getting it calmed down long enough to retrieve it's message. Message finally untangled from the energetic keet she sends it below decks for some food and much needed head under it's wing time. She reads the letter and her eyes widen in alarm. She reaches into her pocket and blows a silent dog whistle and her bravest Keet, trained to the frequency arches away from the busy flock and does a near sonic boom inducing dive and mischievously backflips to land on her Captain's outstretched arm. Chrissy laughs in spite of the seriousness of the situation, "Always the show off aren't you my dear Rascal?" she coos to the impetuous bird. Chrissy writes a quick note and attaches it to Rascal's leg, gives his head some scritches and back fluffs his head feathers. Rascal coos in pleasure. Chrissy raises him to her eye level and speaks clearly to him, making sure to be heard above the delightful racket her crew is engaged in making. "I have a very dangerous mission for you my brave Keet. I need you to get into that ship and find Dr. Sam. He won't be in his cell any more so you will need to be very careful and flit from area to area as you search. Be very careful and don't be seen by anyone but Sam. He must get your note. He has to know that there are more prisoners he must find. He must know that Jill is down there somewhere and he has to be brave enough to find her and rescue her too." Rascal has been taught enough English by her patient Captain that he understands perfectly. His claws start to dig in Chrissy's arm as he prepares to launch. "Be careful my brave beauty." Chrissy whispers to him and raises her arm to assist his launch. Rascal rises straight into the smoke to hide his flight and darts into a freshly blown hole of the Dreadnaught. Sneezing slightly at the smell of gelginite he fluffs his feathers to make his flight more silent and begins his search with the orlop deck.

Bosun
Aug 08, 2012
[Ok I'm just going to do the roleplay format everybody else is doing]

As Jill's crew ran through the hall, more clockworks appeared. Apparently Chloe and Mormo catched up. "We're here, wait... where's Jill?" asked Chloe. "She got captured by those blasted clockworks," said Subodai. Another fight later, Lucky Jack Russell was exhausted from fighting clockworks all day. "When will we leave Sarah?" said an exhausted Lucky Jack Russell. "I'm not the captain Jack, but we have to leave after we rescue Sam and captain." replied Sarah Steele.
Meanwhile in Mooshu
A Mooshu Galleon sits at the Subata Temple dock. It's Jill's ship. Mustang Sally and Old Scratch are on board the ship, sitting there. "I'll drive it Scratch," said Mustang Sally.

To be continued...

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 24, 2013 wrote:
Anne observed various Clockwork soldiers scurrying about the deck of the dreadnaught, responding to the cannon fire, explosions, and sheer racket produced by Chrissy's fleet. Anne hid a smile. There goes Chrissy's diversion, working perfectly, she considered happily. The dreadnaught rocked with an explosion somewhere below. Ah, Chrissy's work? Or the rescue team? Either way, looking good.

Anne's inner satisfaction dissolved in horror as she saw the Armada captain coolly aim his weapon and fire upon the clockwork female, the thinking one. Anne, shaken by what she perceived as a murder in process, saw his weapon misfire, and the clockwork female smugly continue her argument. Then Anne felt herself further disturbed by her own reaction: relief. Relief? Surely not. Certainly this peculiar clockwork showed highly unusual curiosity and even a certain sympathy for the despised pirates, but it was equally plain that this clockwork was as totally devoted to Kane as all the rest. Perhaps even more so, because she had thought out why her Supreme Commander should be devotedly worshiped.

Anne had no illusions about any potential alliances. They were deadly enemies, oh yes. If this thinking clockwork caught her, she would be as a butterfly on a pin-board, something for leisurely study. Not a happy thought at all. Yet... yet, she could not be sorry that this one had survived summary execution from the commanding officer.
Soon a familiar, southern drawl sounded in the distance. "AYE!!"

A familiar, orange and magenta painted ship soon sailed into vision, a young blonde captain dressed like a Royal Navy soldier steering the ship nearby, a salute offered to Anne.

"Anne!" Emma exclaimed, jumping off the mocha colored deck of her ship to embrace her friend. "I was told to come and help to free someone by the name of Sam..? And when I discovered y'all were here, I couldn't resist comin' out and helpin'!" Her smile was brighter than her cerulean eyes. She turned to face the dueling clockworks, with her bayonet shouldered and her Mulciber on her back.

(I couldn't resist...)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Sep 24, 2013 wrote:
Soon a familiar, southern drawl sounded in the distance. "AYE!!"

A familiar, orange and magenta painted ship soon sailed into vision, a young blonde captain dressed like a Royal Navy soldier steering the ship nearby, a salute offered to Anne.

"Anne!" Emma exclaimed, jumping off the mocha colored deck of her ship to embrace her friend. "I was told to come and help to free someone by the name of Sam..? And when I discovered y'all were here, I couldn't resist comin' out and helpin'!" Her smile was brighter than her cerulean eyes. She turned to face the dueling clockworks, with her bayonet shouldered and her Mulciber on her back.

(I couldn't resist...)
Another explosion rocked the Armada dreadnaught. The air was filled with smoke and sparks and (curiously) parrots. Anne's view of the Armada officer was lost in the thick black haze. Her job as a distraction was done. Time to join Chrissy's fleet and be available with the rest to pick up Sam and any one else off the Armada ship.

As she was about to give orders to her companions, Anne caught one last glimpse of the strange clockwork girl. Their gazes met (a peculiar sensation, and not quite pleasant, as the clockwork had no eyes), and the clockwork gave her a curt nod. Anne gave a brief sober salute in return. Enemies, yes. But enemies who respected each other.

As her ship, The Valiant Vixen, came about to join the pirate fleet, Anne much more cheerfully returned the salute of a friend. To her surprise, Emma seized a rope, and swung across the distance between to drop onto the deck of Anne's ship. Anne grinned, admiring her friend's daring audacity.

"Emma!" Anne exclaimed happily. "I thought you were a musketeer," she teased merrily. "But surely that was a swashbuckler's move!"

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Sam's jaw dropped. After finally reaching the hole in the bottom of the dreadnought, after passing trough his fellow prisoners onto a rescue ship, after nearly setting foot aboard himself, the girl in front of him said "Oh yes, could you please go back up and rescue a couple more people. I believe Jill is up there and who knows who else?"

He, of course, couldn't refuse. Sam could however sigh heavily and ask for a sword, maybe some yum, a few chocolates, a nap on a comfy hammock. All he got was a second hand sword. Ah well, it would have to do. Cautiously he made his way into the battle station. The air was beginning to clear a bit as the clockworks got the automated machinery working again. No such luck as to destroy the infernal behemoth, but that could be saved for later. Up ahead he heard voices, one distinctly female and angry. The other was distinctly clockworky. Peering carefully around the corner, he saw a young lady putting up a majorly impressive struggle against her clockwork captor's grip. Unfortunately she seemed to be losing, as he continued to propel her down the corridor. Fortunately, his back was to Sam.

Moving swiftly and as silently as he could manage, Sam came up from behind and managed to land a crippling blow to the back of the clockwork's head, nearly severing it. The girl's look on her face was identical to Sam's, complete astonishment. The clockwork performed an inhuman contortion and collapsed with sparks flying out it's neck. "Need a lift out of here?" he yelled over the noise and confusion?"

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 25, 2013 wrote:
Another explosion rocked the Armada dreadnaught. The air was filled with smoke and sparks and (curiously) parrots. Anne's view of the Armada officer was lost in the thick black haze. Her job as a distraction was done. Time to join Chrissy's fleet and be available with the rest to pick up Sam and any one else off the Armada ship.

As she was about to give orders to her companions, Anne caught one last glimpse of the strange clockwork girl. Their gazes met (a peculiar sensation, and not quite pleasant, as the clockwork had no eyes), and the clockwork gave her a curt nod. Anne gave a brief sober salute in return. Enemies, yes. But enemies who respected each other.

As her ship, The Valiant Vixen, came about to join the pirate fleet, Anne much more cheerfully returned the salute of a friend. To her surprise, Emma seized a rope, and swung across the distance between to drop onto the deck of Anne's ship. Anne grinned, admiring her friend's daring audacity.

"Emma!" Anne exclaimed happily. "I thought you were a musketeer," she teased merrily. "But surely that was a swashbuckler's move!"
The blonde saluted Anne playfully, paired with a wink and grin. "I don't take lessons with Morgan LaFitte for nothing!" She laughed happily. "So, it appears we're on a rescue mission! Reminds me of the good ol' days back in Valencia!" Well, they hadn't been good, persay, negative, but yet exhilarating. "Heh, sort of good. I mean Lizzy getting hurt like that was not fun." The Musketeer loaded her Mulciber, and her trustworthy Baker Rifle which fit her favorite pastime, and looked on. "Shall we assist this clockwork girl?"

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Sam Underhill on Sep 26, 2013 wrote:
Sam's jaw dropped. After finally reaching the hole in the bottom of the dreadnought, after passing trough his fellow prisoners onto a rescue ship, after nearly setting foot aboard himself, the girl in front of him said "Oh yes, could you please go back up and rescue a couple more people. I believe Jill is up there and who knows who else?"

He, of course, couldn't refuse. Sam could however sigh heavily and ask for a sword, maybe some yum, a few chocolates, a nap on a comfy hammock. All he got was a second hand sword. Ah well, it would have to do. Cautiously he made his way into the battle station. The air was beginning to clear a bit as the clockworks got the automated machinery working again. No such luck as to destroy the infernal behemoth, but that could be saved for later. Up ahead he heard voices, one distinctly female and angry. The other was distinctly clockworky. Peering carefully around the corner, he saw a young lady putting up a majorly impressive struggle against her clockwork captor's grip. Unfortunately she seemed to be losing, as he continued to propel her down the corridor. Fortunately, his back was to Sam.

Moving swiftly and as silently as he could manage, Sam came up from behind and managed to land a crippling blow to the back of the clockwork's head, nearly severing it. The girl's look on her face was identical to Sam's, complete astonishment. The clockwork performed an inhuman contortion and collapsed with sparks flying out it's neck. "Need a lift out of here?" he yelled over the noise and confusion?"
After handing Sam her spare sword, Scarlet continued setting the timed gelignite charges in various strategic locations in the lower most hold of the Dreadnaught. When she was done she simply sat down next the escape hole and waited for Sam and Jill to rejoin her. The only had a few minutes before the chain of explosives started to detonate near the bow of the Armada ship. The last charge, which was placed above Scarlet's head, would cause the Dreadnaught's large store of gunpowder to explode as well, destroying the entire ship.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Rascal was on his way out of the ship, backtracking his covert flightpath carefully. He was the picture of dejection and despair. His beloved mistress had sent him on an errand of mercy and for the first time had failed his adored Chrissy. To make matters worse he had been netted by a clockwork female and was sure he was headed for the feather duster factory but to his surprise she only examined him and to his crushing disappointment she removed his note despite all the biting he did with is razor sharp beak to keep her away from it. He learned the hard way that clockworks do not feel pain in their fingers and he was still nursing some dents in the edges of his beak from biting her so hard. She merely held his head firmly between her first and second fingers effectively immobilizing him. She read the note and kept saying, "Interesting" and "How fascinating". Just when he was sure she was going to increase the pressure of her fingers and end his terrified struggles, she absentmindedly released him as she wandered of re-reading the note. Rascal thanked the nest that he had restrained himself from speaking to her in English in his rage and and panic and headed for the deck he came in on. His utter dejection suddenly screeched to a halt along with his feathered body as he spied Sam heroically dispatching a high ranking clockwork. Hope flooded his heart and he flew at them and buzzed the top of Jill's head and collided with a poof of feathers on a very surprised Sam's chest. Sam thought he was being attacked and started to slash at the overly excited bird and Rascal stopped his sword in mid swing screeching loudly " I must Tell Sam, Chrissy says to save Jill." Sam nearly dropped his borrowed weapon in shock and immediately started calming and soothing the bedraggled parrot. "It's all right" Sam cooed to the exhausted bird. "Jill is right here. You got here in time." Rascal was too weak with relief to fly and Sam tenderly placed him on his shoulder and turned to leave.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Highlander Fox of ... on Sep 27, 2013 wrote:
The blonde saluted Anne playfully, paired with a wink and grin. "I don't take lessons with Morgan LaFitte for nothing!" She laughed happily. "So, it appears we're on a rescue mission! Reminds me of the good ol' days back in Valencia!" Well, they hadn't been good, persay, negative, but yet exhilarating. "Heh, sort of good. I mean Lizzy getting hurt like that was not fun." The Musketeer loaded her Mulciber, and her trustworthy Baker Rifle which fit her favorite pastime, and looked on. "Shall we assist this clockwork girl?"
"Aww, that's so sweet!" A very familiar blonde-haired, green eyed swashbuckler materialized out of thin air next to her friends. It had been a little while since she had last seen them, and she had grown, now being Emma's height. The healthy glow had returned to her now tanning skin, and her eyes sparkled in an impish way. "Missed me?"

Bosun
Aug 08, 2012
CdeWinter on Sep 27, 2013 wrote:
After handing Sam her spare sword, Scarlet continued setting the timed gelignite charges in various strategic locations in the lower most hold of the Dreadnaught. When she was done she simply sat down next the escape hole and waited for Sam and Jill to rejoin her. The only had a few minutes before the chain of explosives started to detonate near the bow of the Armada ship. The last charge, which was placed above Scarlet's head, would cause the Dreadnaught's large store of gunpowder to explode as well, destroying the entire ship.
It was a LONG week in Mooshu. They recruited Monkey King, defeated Stormzilla, and many other stuff. "Let's take the ship to captain." said Mustang Sally. Both of them agreed, and set off for the Dreadnaught.
Meanwhile in the Dreadnaught
Jill heard an explotion and broke the silence of the entire skyway. Luckily the cell broke, making her able to escape. "Would I be able to find me crew without the Armada seeing me?" Jill thought. Suddenly, she saw a shadow passing by. It was Sam, by the looks of it. Then Sarah Steele came by, saying, "I got lost captain, are ye ok?". "I'm fine," said Jill. Then the ship rumbled and shook, throwing clockworks off board. A scareakeet flew onto Jill's shoulder and perched on it. "Who are ye?" asked Jill. It turns out to be Rascal, Chrissy's scareakeet. Then El Toro appeared with the keys for the rest of the cells. "Need this?" said El Toro

(to be continued)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Sep 27, 2013 wrote:
Anne shook her head. "She's a clockwork, Emma! She reasons and thinks, but she is still our enemy!"

[OOC: although that definition, 'reasoning and thinking' would probably qualify her in Rene Descartes' and John Locke's views as inherently good, with the potential for wickedness only coming from experience. But Anne knows nothing of Descartes or Locke philosophies, so there you are . Now returning to the story...]

"We may need to help pick up Sam and the rescue party," Anne continued, searching the billowing skies with her spyglass. "No, wait -- there they are! Chrissy's flagship is taking them on. Seems like rather a lot of people -- there must have been more prisoners rescued," Anne added cheerfully.

She put the spyglass away. "Let's join the fleet and get out of here then!"

The pirate ships began to put distance between them and the Armada dreadnaught. A good thing, for a few moments later...

BOOM!!!!

So much for the impregnable dreadnaught.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 25, 2013 wrote:

As Knight rested in the library, she couldn't seem to read the words imprinted on the books. Her mind was racing with other thoughts, thoughts that effected the present and the future rather then the past. She set the book down and although the holes that were supposed to be eyes gazed into empty space, she was looking into her memory, both recent and near her first creation.

"You may do as you please, but do not get my way, little clockwork girl." a masked figure wearing the regalia of a commander glinted with many awards given to him as the leader of the armada.

"Yes, Supreme Commander Kane." Knight had dutifully replied.

But then, those pirates -- they seemed so cunning and adventurous, willing to sacrifice much to safe their friend. She may be just a mid-ranking clockwork, but Knight knew a lot about Kane's Court. More than she should, Kane would believe, but he didn't know. The pirates could use this information to end the war, and although they were likely to put the clockworks out of commission, it was worth it, if the beauty of The Spiral was preserved. But would she be accepted?

Knight stood up, looking down at herself. Kane was insecure, so he made Knight, his smartest clockwork, the size of a human. It was an unflattering size, yes, but it might help Knight gain the trust of the pirates. Knight raised her mechanical arms and gazed at her hands and her fingers, curling them inward and outward. She would never look like one of them. She had no flesh, no bones, no eyes, no brain, no heart, and no emotions. What would the pirates see in her? That one pirate, Anne, seemed to respect her, but most likely not enough to defend Knight if the other pirates attacked.

It was worth it.

Without further ado, Knight marched with determination out of the library, acknowledged the guard, and walked through the corridors again that led to where the clockwork had met her first pirate.

Once more, she came across the prisoner pirate, only now he was with another girl. "Anne, I think her name was," Knight began, a little flustered as to seeing the identical instinctive recoiling reactions from the two pirates, "do you know where she went?"

The pirates were too shocked to answer, thus Knight turned on her heels and marched further down the corridor until she found Anne with two other pirates, both blonde. Knight stood to her full height, held her hands in front of her where the pirates could see them, then spoke.

"I have decided that I will join you pirates in the war against the clockworks. Will you accept me as one of your crew?"

"What?!?" One of the blonde's eyebrows shot up her forehead, and she gawped at the clockwork girl. "Guys, what have I missed?" Lizzy turned to Anne and Emma, but before they could answer, she turned back to the clockwork. "What's your name?"

The clockwork girl was surprised and quickly answered: "Knight."

"Huh. So that's who 'Number 7' is, as Sam might put it." Lizzy turned to Anne and Emma. "What do you guys think?"

Bosun
Aug 08, 2012
Puppylove1021 on Sep 27, 2013 wrote:
It was a LONG week in Mooshu. They recruited Monkey King, defeated Stormzilla, and many other stuff. "Let's take the ship to captain." said Mustang Sally. Both of them agreed, and set off for the Dreadnaught.
Meanwhile in the Dreadnaught
Jill heard an explotion and broke the silence of the entire skyway. Luckily the cell broke, making her able to escape. "Would I be able to find me crew without the Armada seeing me?" Jill thought. Suddenly, she saw a shadow passing by. It was Sam, by the looks of it. Then Sarah Steele came by, saying, "I got lost captain, are ye ok?". "I'm fine," said Jill. Then the ship rumbled and shook, throwing clockworks off board. A scareakeet flew onto Jill's shoulder and perched on it. "Who are ye?" asked Jill. It turns out to be Rascal, Chrissy's scareakeet. Then El Toro appeared with the keys for the rest of the cells. "Need this?" said El Toro

(to be continued)
"I don't think we need those." said Jill. She then noticed the letter on Rascal. "This is for Sam, he escaped!" exclaimed Jill. "Where's the exit?" asked Sarah Steele. "This way!" said El Toro.
Meanwhile on the deck of the Dreadnaught
"Keep fighting!" said Subodai. The Imperial Moon then boarded the Dreadnaught. "We're coming captain!" said Mustang Sally. Then Jill, El Toro, and Sarah Steele came on deck. "Captain, ye ok?" asked Old Scratch. Suddenly it EXPLODED.

(to be continued)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Just Add Bacon on Sep 27, 2013 wrote:
"Aww, that's so sweet!" A very familiar blonde-haired, green eyed swashbuckler materialized out of thin air next to her friends. It had been a little while since she had last seen them, and she had grown, now being Emma's height. The healthy glow had returned to her now tanning skin, and her eyes sparkled in an impish way. "Missed me?"
"Lizzy!" Anne hugged her joyfully. "You missed all the excitement," she laughed, then she saw they were no longer nearly of a height. "You grew!" she exclaimed in surprise, and playfully gave Lizzie a light punch in the arm. "No fair! Now I'm the only 'shortie' around!" But she was laughing as she spoke.

Her smile abruptly faded as she saw that the clockwork girl had suddenly come onboard her ship. Many of her crew had stopped working, weapons out. Bonnie Anne had her rifle posed to fire off a perfect, deadly shot. But they didn't act, not yet. The clockwork girl was just standing there, no weapons at hand, almost passive. Most unlike a clockwork. Yet, how had she got there!

That question was not to be answered. As the clockwork girl made her astonishing offer, Anne was rendered momentarily speechless (an unusual state for her). When she could finally speak, all she could say was the question that now completely filled her mind:

"Why? Why would you go against Kane and leave the Armada?"

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 28, 2013 wrote:
"Lizzy!" Anne hugged her joyfully. "You missed all the excitement," she laughed, then she saw they were no longer nearly of a height. "You grew!" she exclaimed in surprise, and playfully gave Lizzie a light punch in the arm. "No fair! Now I'm the only 'shortie' around!" But she was laughing as she spoke.

Her smile abruptly faded as she saw that the clockwork girl had suddenly come onboard her ship. Many of her crew had stopped working, weapons out. Bonnie Anne had her rifle posed to fire off a perfect, deadly shot. But they didn't act, not yet. The clockwork girl was just standing there, no weapons at hand, almost passive. Most unlike a clockwork. Yet, how had she got there!

That question was not to be answered. As the clockwork girl made her astonishing offer, Anne was rendered momentarily speechless (an unusual state for her). When she could finally speak, all she could say was the question that now completely filled her mind:

"Why? Why would you go against Kane and leave the Armada?"
Knight had her offer ready immediately. "Kane made me, in a way, to have a family." Knight observed Lizzy's reaction alone, then chuckled with a nod. "It wouldn't seem like a heartless clockwork would want to have a family, I know, but you've never met Kane, and he is different from the others. Although he couldn't let his 'daughter' get in the way of The Grand Design, so he told me that I could stay with him as long as I never got in his way. And so I complied, although staying out of his way didn't mean I could never be around his work. I also traveled with Bishop for a little while to learn his ways -and perfect them, mind you-, thus I know everything that Kane and Bishop do about the clockworks birds, The Grand Design, and some of Kane's more 'shadowy' projects that you pirates no nothing about. I offer this information to you readily, even if it means that Kane will find any way possible to destroy me."

Lizzy raised an eyebrow. She was certainly taken aback by the clockwork's speech, but Lizzy had that same burning question and wasn't about to let it go. "Clever, you've avoided the question while making us believe that we should let you join us. But we still want to know; why do you want to leave the armada?"

Knight sighed, as much as clockworks can sigh. "In my spare time I like to study you pirates. You are so complicated, females especially, because your minds develop and become stronger the longer that you live. We clockworks are not like this. Although I may have gained extensive knowledge that I was not created with, that does not mean that I am any different from my first creation. Here, look at this:" The clockwork girl pointed at her body, "I haven't physically changed at all, nor will I ever." If clockworks could be sad, this one was. "Kane and the armada are flawed, as are you pirates, but your flaws are acceptable while theirs are not."

'Theirs'. Lizzy thought with a little bit of sorrow. She's no longer apart of her family just to request permission to join ours.

Then Knight smiled. She turned behind her and brought a pouch into view. A pirate's satchel, by the looks of it. She put her hand inside, then took out a piece of parchment.

It was one seventh of a map to El Dorado. Knight winked, handed the piece of the map to Anne, then spoke once more. "Bishop also subconsciously taught me how to do things behind Kane's back." Then the clockwork's face fell. "The clockworks are a bunch of backstabbers, just as I am to them now, and I no longer want to be apart of such a flawed existence. I'm hoping I can make a new life as a pirate's... a pirate's... f-f-f-"

"Friend." Lizzy finished for her.

"Yes." Knight nodded. "A friend. I've never had one before, and they're the things of legends. Even Kane admires friendships, although he doesn't encourage them amongst the armada." Knight turned her gaze to Anne. "I will give my life for the Resistance. I will help in any way I can. If you'll let me, of course."

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Just Add Bacon on Sep 29, 2013 wrote:
Knight had her offer ready immediately. "Kane made me, in a way, to have a family." Knight observed Lizzy's reaction alone, then chuckled with a nod. "It wouldn't seem like a heartless clockwork would want to have a family, I know, but you've never met Kane, and he is different from the others. Although he couldn't let his 'daughter' get in the way of The Grand Design, so he told me that I could stay with him as long as I never got in his way. And so I complied, although staying out of his way didn't mean I could never be around his work. I also traveled with Bishop for a little while to learn his ways -and perfect them, mind you-, thus I know everything that Kane and Bishop do about the clockworks birds, The Grand Design, and some of Kane's more 'shadowy' projects that you pirates no nothing about. I offer this information to you readily, even if it means that Kane will find any way possible to destroy me."

Lizzy raised an eyebrow. She was certainly taken aback by the clockwork's speech, but Lizzy had that same burning question and wasn't about to let it go. "Clever, you've avoided the question while making us believe that we should let you join us. But we still want to know; why do you want to leave the armada?"

Knight sighed, as much as clockworks can sigh. "In my spare time I like to study you pirates. You are so complicated, females especially, because your minds develop and become stronger the longer that you live. We clockworks are not like this. Although I may have gained extensive knowledge that I was not created with, that does not mean that I am any different from my first creation. Here, look at this:" The clockwork girl pointed at her body, "I haven't physically changed at all, nor will I ever." If clockworks could be sad, this one was. "Kane and the armada are flawed, as are you pirates, but your flaws are acceptable while theirs are not."

'Theirs'. Lizzy thought with a little bit of sorrow. She's no longer apart of her family just to request permission to join ours.

Then Knight smiled. She turned behind her and brought a pouch into view. A pirate's satchel, by the looks of it. She put her hand inside, then took out a piece of parchment.

It was one seventh of a map to El Dorado. Knight winked, handed the piece of the map to Anne, then spoke once more. "Bishop also subconsciously taught me how to do things behind Kane's back." Then the clockwork's face fell. "The clockworks are a bunch of backstabbers, just as I am to them now, and I no longer want to be apart of such a flawed existence. I'm hoping I can make a new life as a pirate's... a pirate's... f-f-f-"

"Yes." Knight nodded. "A friend. I've never had one before, and they're the things of legends. Even Kane admires friendships, although he doesn't encourage them amongst the armada." Knight turned her gaze to Anne. "I will give my life for the Resistance. I will help in any way I can. If you'll let me, of course."
Emma's rather reluctant grimace faded as it reformed a smile. "Ya know, we all are flawed. Even Kane himself lacks perfection. And ya seem to be different- constructed with a bit of emotion, as it is with the elites." Her smile was kind. "I say we give her a chance."

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Wow, This is just brilliant. x Bows in great respect x

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Puppylove1021 on Sep 28, 2013 wrote:
"I don't think we need those." said Jill. She then noticed the letter on Rascal. "This is for Sam, he escaped!" exclaimed Jill. "Where's the exit?" asked Sarah Steele. "This way!" said El Toro.
"Keep fighting!" said Subodai. The Imperial Moon then boarded the Dreadnaught. "We're coming captain!" said Mustang Sally. Then Jill, El Toro, and Sarah Steele came on deck. "Captain, ye ok?" asked Old Scratch. Suddenly it EXPLODED.

(to be continued)
My goodness . The ultimate cliffhanger. x Wriggles in seat awaiting next installment. x

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Highlander Fox of ... on Sep 30, 2013 wrote:
Emma's rather reluctant grimace faded as it reformed a smile. "Ya know, we all are flawed. Even Kane himself lacks perfection. And ya seem to be different- constructed with a bit of emotion, as it is with the elites." Her smile was kind. "I say we give her a chance."
Knight's tense and unsure aura changed immediately at these words. "Oh, thank you!" She was unsure, though, how to physically show gratitude. She had read about something called a 'hug', but didn't know how to perform this action herself. Instead she smiled, a little bit awkwardly. "Thank you so much." She murmured.

Lizzy nodded, although she couldn't help being reminded of the whole incident with Clockwork Lizzy. "I agree with Emma." She turned to Anne. "But what do you think?"

Bosun
Aug 08, 2012
Puppylove1021 on Sep 28, 2013 wrote:

(to be continued)
Clockworks flew across the skyway, Kane fleed, and Ratbeard was drinking yum. (as usual) Jill got off the Dreadnaught and steered her Imperial Moon while Bonnie Anne steered Jill's Mooshu Skiff, the Hammitsu Rainbow. "Quickly!" said Lucky Jack Russell, who just got promoted to Dog Corsair. (He has more health than any other companion) More clockwork ships started attacking. "FLEE!!!!" alarmed Ratbeard. "We are NOT giving up." said El Toro. "Right." said Subodai. Buffalo Bill was unaware of this though. Chloe sped to the rescue. Sarah Steele thought that there was going to be trouble. Jill however, didn't guess it, she KNEW it.

(to be continued)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Chrissy walked up from the galley where she had been plying the former prisoners with Yum, Chocolate & all the Brownies they wanted along with nourishing meals and had just arranged for hot bathes to be put into all the guest quarters and caught the very end of the conversation. Just then Rascal flitted up from below decks and began screeching at the sight of Knight and tried to drive Chrissy away from his perceived danger. Chrissy caught the frantic keet and with much confusion over his behavior tried to calm him down. Rascal was so upset that all he could be understood to be saying was; "She trapped me & took your note for Sam, run run, get away from her! Danger, danger!" Chrissy hushed the panicked parrot and managed to calm him by allowing him to huddle under her coat. She looked up curiously at Knight and said "What on earth is he talking about?" Although Knight could not show expression she managed to look abashed and said, "Ohh that is the keet I intercepted that had the very note that made my mind up to leave Kane. When I saw that a prisoner would go back into such danger to save another pirate after all that had been done to rescue him and that this behaviour was fully expected yet not demanded, I truly realized that humans value life and friendship over all. This was something clockworks do not have. We do not love each other like this, we respect and fear but love is unheard of. When I saw what love can do and to what lengths humans will go to for love, something in me broke. I cannot explain it properly but I realized that I have a huge emptiness in me that I think is a desire for what you call love. I did not wound the creature, I merely restrained it but I can see that my actions have damaged it somehow. Even though I did not hurt him, he now fears me. I do not know the name for what I am experiencing. I wish to somehow reverse what I have done to cause this amazing creature to fear me. Yet I am at a loss as to how." Knight looked around at the faces looking at her and experienced another new 'feeling'. For the first time she was at a loss and felt helpless.
She looked at Chrissy and said, "What can I do to assist this creature that was so influential in showing me the way?" Chrissy could see that Knight needed this healing as badly as Rascal did and whispered to her beloved pet, "Now Rascal, only your pride was hurt. Knight did not hurt you and you found Sam anyway and all ended well. She did not mean to frighten you and she has no intent to harm me. Now come on out and please let's try to be friends." Chrissy offered her hand to the still very fluffed up and indignant looking bird and Rascal reluctantly stepped up and though he kept his back to Knight he rotated his head towards her. Knight kept perfectly still and waited. Chrissy back fluffed his crest feathers to calm him. Rascal said, "You will not harm my Chrissy?" "Never" promised Knight. At Chrissy's urging she reached out and back fluffed his crest. Rascal began to coo.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012

OOC: Well, Elizabeth, this is a fine pickle. Well done - it really makes me think (and you know I like to do that).

At first I felt quite uncomfortable, this story edging too much into the real Pirate storyline, going into speculative territory that perhaps would not mesh with the real story. Some of it seemed quite inconsistent with the information we already have of Kane and his Elites, not to mention a piece of the Map? That didn't feel right. But then, I began to consider: what if the clockwork girl believes her story to be true... but it is not. She's an experiment by Kane, true enough, but not to be a kind of daughter, but something else entirely. So she is created with a great capacity for curiosity and reason, the philosopher Locke's 'blank slate' that will naturally incline towards sympathy and understanding unless given experience turns her towards evil.

Sure enough, her curiosity about humans, our pirates in particular, lead her to sympathy, and that leads her to this pivotal decision -- a decision in which Kane will win, one way or another, no matter what happens.

First, the pirates could decide to accept her. (Anne will find this extraordinarily difficult, perhaps impossible: her parents were killed by the Armada and she saw Deacon murder her foster mother. She can feel a sympathy towards Knight, because she is a rational person, but at best, right now she can only be indecisive.) However, if Knight is accepted, she unwittingly is a spy -- because she has such devices to provide information to Kane as part of her very body.

If on the other hand, Knight is rejected, she may at first be despairing, but in frustration her emerging sympathy festers into disappointment, disillusionment, and finally utter rejection and emerging hatred of these humans. (Does this sound like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein? Oh yes, you can bet being the daughter of scholars and philosophers --Mary's mother wrote On the Vindication of the Rights of Women-- she knew all about Locke and other philosophers.) Now Kane has a thinking, imaginative clockwork bent towards evil, and now truly loyal to him. Score again for Kane.

The third choice is simply morally unacceptable - that the pirates destroy Knight. But even then, Kane wins, because his enemies have lost the moral high ground.

Maybe I'm just naturally paranoid (though I've never known myself to be so before ). But on the other hand, Kane - smarter, stronger, faster than anybody- it is the kind of devious ploy he could come up with.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Just Add Bacon on Oct 1, 2013 wrote:
Knight's tense and unsure aura changed immediately at these words. "Oh, thank you!" She was unsure, though, how to physically show gratitude. She had read about something called a 'hug', but didn't know how to perform this action herself. Instead she smiled, a little bit awkwardly. "Thank you so much." She murmured.

Lizzy nodded, although she couldn't help being reminded of the whole incident with Clockwork Lizzy. "I agree with Emma." She turned to Anne. "But what do you think?"
Anne felt torn in two. On the one hand, her sympathetic nature wanted to reassure and accept the stranger. Here this 'Knight' had given up everything to join the humans she evidently admired. Anne did at first wonder if it was a clever act, but upon consideration rejected the notion. Knight seemed genuine, and she was gentle in demeanor and kind to Chrissy's parrot. Although, Anne knew full well that being kind to parrots was not necessarily the seal of virtue -- after all, the worst bully she had known in her Mooshu village had been kind to his pets. However, Knight seemed to be a person who truly wished to be virtuous. That resonated strongly with Anne. All her life, to seek to do right and be virtuous was her dearest goal.

On the other hand, Knight was a clockwork. A clockwork devised by Kane, no less! All the clockworks she had encountered or heard of were heartless, evil murderers. Her parents had fallen to them, and her foster mother as well. She had suffered herself at their hands. Her crew would never accept a clockwork among them. Anne would not be able to sleep at night with a clockwork nearby, even a clockwork she tried to trust.

Yet, Knight was a clockwork seeking a soul. Anne remembered her foster mother telling the tale of the fox fairy who sought a soul, trying to become human. How little Anne had cried at the fox fairy's sad fate! How her foster mother had scolded her older foster brothers and sisters for laughing at their little sister's tears. If Knight was seeking a soul, it would be so wrong to stand in her way, even though she was so fearful in her making. Oh, Mao Xue, Anne thought sadly of her foster mother. How I miss your wisdom. I wish you could be here to advise me right now.

Instinctively, Anne gazed into Knight's face, seeking answers, but had to look away from those blank, dark eyeholes. Her eyes fell upon Knight's white hands, delicate and porcelain-like. They were beautiful hands, Anne reflected. So fine and perfect. So unlike Deacon's oversized, large hands...

No! I won't remember! Anne physically staggered as she frantically squashed the awful memories that unbidden came bubbling to the surface of her mind. The effort left her feeling sick, almost faint.

Everyone was looking towards her, waiting for her answer. Anne never felt so unready for a response in her life. "I... I..." she stammered uncertainly. What do I say? What do I do?