Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is a Swashbuckler?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 17, 2013
Morgan Lafitte on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Swashbucklers rely on speed and finesse in combat, sneaking up on their foes and striking from surprise, then dodging the enemy's attacks when they finally come. They are deadly with a blade, but not nearly as tough as a Buccaneer, sacrificing toughness for damage.

If you are a Swashbuckler, look for ways to boost your AGILITY
Morgan good advice as soon as I equipped some agility I became such a great swashbuckler that fin was a piece of cake ! Hohoho have a merry Christmas ! Now I know why you are 1 of the 5 teachers. And I hope to hear more blogs from you !

Ensign
Nov 17, 2013
Cass Underwood on Oct 18, 2012 wrote:
Ooh, well then there is a bug.I was on a Monquistador ship the other day and I moved to the other ship and there was a Monquistador next to where I landed and it attacked me and I didn't attack it.

Cass Underwood L16
Yeah that's the weird thing you board a ship the enemy moves and your character stands still till it's time

Ensign
Nov 17, 2013
Xaviyn on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:
when you pick your family were killed by an octopus does the game give you mustang sally as a companion?
Nope you just help her

Ensign
Mar 19, 2011
I beat the game with my swashbuckler wish the new chapter would come out It ok I guess but I am really tired of farming and searching like a scavenger plz oh plz hurry

Ensign
Dec 29, 2012
robotwizard555 on Feb 11, 2013 wrote:
you are sooooooooooooooooo wrong swashbuckler is the best class your fast you do alot of damage and you get sarah steel which is a great companion
Swashbucklers have high dodge and high damage but weak health, imagine if enemies did super, mega, or epic hits in a row. I guarantee that swash is going to have low health. All classes have their advantages and disadvantages.
Level 65 Swashbuckler.
Level 49 Privateer.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Swashbucklers are not as strong as Buccaneers,but this class have the highest speed of any pirate class based on my experience. Like Buccaneers,this class deal with physical damage but it's done with speed instead of strength. Based on my experience as a Swashbuckler, this class dose have a decent armor and health. But when comes in battle they last a long time ,but make the game a bit more of a challenge in my opinion.

" Stealth and Speed are deadly tools,when done carefully."- Jessica Orton

Ensign
May 28, 2012
Swashbuckler's are amazing in any fight, the problem I see is that privateers are too overpowered. They have a million assassin's strikes when us bucklers only have 1. My question is why are they not all equals? Everytime I go to the Spar Chamber or Brawlin' Hall, I see privateers abusing the power of unlimited assassin's strikes and unlimited buffs, with elusive to top it all off. I still haven't seen any improvements on the bug/glitch where anybody can use a team heal, or jobu's breath to "cheat" the assassin's gloom. Again why cant all classes be equal, this would make it a lot more fun, and people wouldnt always be like, "Oh there is a privateer on their team, lets just quit because they are too overpowered." This would make the game a lot more about skill and not about buffs.

Captain
May 13, 2011
theloser213 on Feb 9, 2014 wrote:
Swashbuckler's are amazing in any fight, the problem I see is that privateers are too overpowered. They have a million assassin's strikes when us bucklers only have 1. My question is why are they not all equals? Everytime I go to the Spar Chamber or Brawlin' Hall, I see privateers abusing the power of unlimited assassin's strikes and unlimited buffs, with elusive to top it all off. I still haven't seen any improvements on the bug/glitch where anybody can use a team heal, or jobu's breath to "cheat" the assassin's gloom. Again why cant all classes be equal, this would make it a lot more fun, and people wouldnt always be like, "Oh there is a privateer on their team, lets just quit because they are too overpowered." This would make the game a lot more about skill and not about buffs.
from what i have seen at other peoples posts, privateers have gear that lets them use 3 assassins strikes. they also have seemingly unlimited buffs, but remember, thats their strength. while your strength is hiding and killing enemies quickly before they have a chance to recover, their strength is motivating their allies to fight harder

Petty Officer
Nov 10, 2012
i am in that class and i am so far i love the class my favorite actully

Ensign
Nov 30, 2013
Ah yes, the Swashbuckler class. My main character class :D high damage, great speed, repeatedly poison damage (great to use hidden then poison your enemy, that way you're still hidden and does damage as well)

We do have down sides, yes. We don't get a lot of healing spells at all, and our new poison doesn't work on those eagle guys in Aquila, and hidden (like I said it's a great thing to have, but...) can be easily solved by bombs or mojo strike. But, that's where farming takes place :D

Either way, I think we should get a major update on our class in the future updates. Maybe put some buffs in for our companions?

Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
Has anyone been playing a swashbuckler in the style of Kan Po, the starter companion for witchdoctor? He uses a staff as weapon and I'm wondering if it's a viable playstyle for swashbuckler players. If you've had good results, I'd like to hear all about it.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
SaltyMolly on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
Has anyone been playing a swashbuckler in the style of Kan Po, the starter companion for witchdoctor? He uses a staff as weapon and I'm wondering if it's a viable playstyle for swashbuckler players. If you've had good results, I'd like to hear all about it.
It looks cool, but I wouldn't suggest a staffy weapon for Swashbucklers. It uses the Will stat, which Bucklers have the lowest stat of. It also does not let you use your strikes nor does it let you activate your epics. You could try a Stabby/Staffy Combo, but I'd recommend a Slashy Stabby combo

Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
I was hoping that staff could be used as melee, in the way the companion does. I wonder why they show him as a swashbuckler when we can't play the same way he does.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
SaltyMolly on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
I was hoping that staff could be used as melee, in the way the companion does. I wonder why they show him as a swashbuckler when we can't play the same way he does.
Well, he knows the ways of stealth, so he uses his staff as a melee to strike hard. I guess his abilities with a staff were more melee based than "witch" based.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SaltyMolly on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
Kan Po isn't using a staffy weapon, it's actually a smashy weapon and you can train for it with Mordekai.

Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
anecorbie on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
Kan Po isn't using a staffy weapon, it's actually a smashy weapon and you can train for it with Mordekai.
Oh! That changes everything! Thank you so much. Do you know any names for that weapon?

So knowing this, is this a viable way to play Swashbuckler?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SaltyMolly on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
Oh! That changes everything! Thank you so much. Do you know any names for that weapon?

So knowing this, is this a viable way to play Swashbuckler?
Yes, it is viable and when you get to Mooshu it will allow you to use Friar Sand's awesome weapon! The weapons that fall into that catagory are pike and spear style weapons.

Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
anecorbie on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
Yes, it is viable and when you get to Mooshu it will allow you to use Friar Sand's awesome weapon! The weapons that fall into that catagory are pike and spear style weapons.
That's great. Will I have to spec differently for that type of weapon? At what level do those weapons become available?

Ensign
Jan 15, 2010
Amazing class and must I say one of my personal favorite classes, up with witch doctors and privateers so great job kingsisle a thumbs up

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SaltyMolly on May 1, 2014 wrote:
That's great. Will I have to spec differently for that type of weapon? At what level do those weapons become available?
There are smashy weapons available at all levels, you will need to use a training point to get "Smashy" from Mordekai, there is one previous requirement before you get it, I don't remember what it is. Just go the Mordekai in Buccaneers Den to find out.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Scarlet Redd on May 18, 2014 wrote:
Amazing class and must I say one of my personal favorite classes, up with witch doctors and privateers so great job kingsisle a thumbs up
Welcome to the message boards Scarlet. You are quite right, there is nothing like watching a good swashy work, except maybe being that awesome swashy.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2012
Right now my Swashbuckler, Dandy Lucy Barclay (I refer to her as 'Dandy' rather than 'Lucy' lol) I was just curious how well a Swashbuckler could be if they learned Musketering and Buccaneering. I tried to see if I was able to get 'Vengence Strike', but was not able to see it in the Buccaneering Training list, am I not supposed to train for that talent? I was also curious if being a Musketer would bother my studies of Swashbuckling in any way. I always get kits because of this and see the difference at times for the damage. Is being part Musketer cause anything majorly different in battle? (same question, different way of saying for easier comprehension.)
-your slicing and shooting pirate, Dandy Lucy Barclay (I wish I could place my name in Cursive when I write, it'd be so pretty!)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Miranda Dreamsong on Jun 11, 2014 wrote:
Right now my Swashbuckler, Dandy Lucy Barclay (I refer to her as 'Dandy' rather than 'Lucy' lol) I was just curious how well a Swashbuckler could be if they learned Musketering and Buccaneering. I tried to see if I was able to get 'Vengence Strike', but was not able to see it in the Buccaneering Training list, am I not supposed to train for that talent? I was also curious if being a Musketer would bother my studies of Swashbuckling in any way. I always get kits because of this and see the difference at times for the damage. Is being part Musketer cause anything majorly different in battle? (same question, different way of saying for easier comprehension.)
-your slicing and shooting pirate, Dandy Lucy Barclay (I wish I could place my name in Cursive when I write, it'd be so pretty!)
You can't train for 'vengeance strike' just as other classes can't train 'first strike' and 'riposte'. Equipping a single shooty weapon will lock down your swashie attacks, you can use a combo shooty/stabby weapon or any weapon style you have trained for.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
fearless robert sp... on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:
you guys! if you want to learn swashbuckler stuff, than talk to a swashbuckler! and im a swashbuckler,level 33
wow, this was my first post, i was so arrogant! lol

Ensign
Dec 12, 2010
sagehyuuga on Oct 12, 2012 wrote:
oh yes i am loving this "class". going invisable and going past foes to strike the ones behind them, also the spaces i can move is awesome to boot. cant wait to lvl up more and see what else i can do :)
Swashbucklers are really cool I am using my training points for buccaneer spells. Personally I would say swashbucklers the best .