Story Thread 3: The Search for Plot

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
um who is the guy that looks like old scratch in mianda?

Thx, SDH Level65

Developer
Hey all! Gonna hit the last of Thread 2 before jumping into thread 3.

@William Darkflame
5.) In Wizard's Celestia, Marleybone rediscovered it with their giant airship. But it seems like more work was put into it than getting a Windstone and traveling directly from Marleybone to Celestia. It might mean they had to travel off course and off of a Spiral thread. If that's possible, this could open a large amount of possibilities. Or I might just be overthinking it.

No, you're not over thinking it, and yes you're on to something - the way Spiral Travel and the threads and all that work is indeed the way it all works... 99% of the time. There are other ways to find your way to a world - it leaves lots of dramatic possibilities for the future, and some day it's going to become essential that we open up new worlds. So yes, there are ways to chart new courses between worlds. And it's really really hard, and dangerous to boot. And I wouldn't expect your Pirate to be doing them anytime soon, but they are out there.

6.) It seems each class has two universal main characters that represent it (Swashbucklers are El Toro and Monkey King, Buccaneers are Ratbeard and Hawkules, and Privateers are Grace Conrad and Catbeard), except Musketeers and Witchdoctors. Are there going to be more Musketeers and Witchdoctors, or are Bonnie Anne and Old Scratch going to be it?
You may be seeing a pattern where none was intended. When we've made new characters, the needs of the story have driven us more than class frameworks. A Musketeer might have been a great person to find in Marleybone, but the need for Gracie was much stronger. Going forward? I'll see what i can do.

Developer
@ William Darkflame
7.) Out of each pair, which do you prefer in combat: (A.) El Toro or Monkey King, (B.) Ratbeard or Hawkules, and (C.) Grace Conrad or Catbeard.

Whoa - bear in mind, I'm far from a power gamer. I'm not sure how much weight my opion has in these matters, but I'd say
A) El Toro
B) Ratbeard
C) Gracie

@Coolster50
1) Will we ever go back to helping Avery with creating the Republic of Skull Island, I mean he tried to get Catbeard to join him, but he declined, but since he's on our crew now, doesn't that mean he's now apart of Avery's Republic? (And I'm assuming that we're in lot with Avery in creating his republic (or we're not famous enough for us to be recognized))

The quest for the Map and the battle against the Armada have taken priority, at least as far as your character's concerned. It's an idea I'd love to get back to, but I'd hate to take abreak from the primary plot to do it. Also, given how much heat your pirate can draw, I'm pretty sure Avery is content to have you gallivanting about the Spiral far away from Skull Island.

2) When using a Sail Power, is its effect start instantly, or after the animation?
That's for Ratbeard, i think.

3) Whatever happened to our companions' crews? I mean, we know Ratbeard's crew is dead, but what about Catbeard's crew? or our Kraken Skulls crew?
Well, Catbeard's crew is still out there, I think. They're content to hide out for now. I'm figuring your Kraken Skulls Companion was just getting started (much like you) - whoever they might have hired fled after the fight with Ratbeard.

4) Speaking of the Kraken Skulls companions what happens to the other guys after we recruit one of them? (IE What happens to Barnabus after Privateers recruit Emmett?)
They wander out of the tale because they're no longer important. There are lots of concessions we make to realism, and some of the biggest involve the fact that we're just a game. Hopefully, it's fun enough that these little details don't matter.

Developer
@Coolster50
5) Will there (or more like 'Can there') be a 1 on 1 battle between our Pirate and some Foe on a high cliff and just when the Villain is about to fall over, we save him/her and then he/she joins our crew because of a life debt?

Can there be such a situation? Absolutely. We've done one-on-one combat, and we've done fights where the enemy joins you afterward. The cliff sounds like a cool place to do it! That said, I cannot guarantee such a thing will ever happen, you understand...

6) In the next update, can there be more cultural housing items, I mean, the Mooshu housing items are nice, but I'd really like some Aquilan, Valencian, and even Monquistan housing items
I hear ya - getting more furniture in is definitely a priority, but it all ultimately comes down to bandwidth. I'll pass the suggestion on, though.

7) Will our pirates ever learn how NOT to be gullible? I mean how many times, from Skull Island to Aquila, has our pirate been tricked? I have honestly lost count :P
Oh come on! Without the trickery, it would all be so boring! You'll notice on the build up to freeing Monkey King even Bonnie Anne was getting tired of it.

8) What deems a Skyway, a Skyway?
A Skyway is like a "zone" in some of those other games - it's a big expanse of sky that holds the islands. They're as big as they need to be.

@The Undead Obeah
1. What are the odds that Monkey King would get a Doppelganger power unique to him?

I don't know about a power, but that's one bit of the mythology I don't want to drop.

Developer
@Silent Tom Sharp
It's a bit trivial really but I want to see what you think:
Can we consider Kane and his Clockworks as AI's or simply computer programs gone rogue?
I'm talking AI as in science fiction that becomes self aware and surpasses its creators, seeing them as imperfect because when you think about, or at least when I do, that seems like what the Clockworks did. In most stories concerning artificial intelligence you see the robot or computer overthrowing its creator or attempting to find meaning for synthetic life, similar to actual organic life finding meaning through religion for example. Is it possible that Kane is a self aware being attempting to find meaning for his kind?(Wow I sound pretty ridiculous right now). But we've heard hints of something called the "Grand Design" and that sounds like some "what-is-the-meaning-of-life?" questions. So can we really consider Kane and his Court as self aware or simply computer programs on the fritz?

This isn't trivial at all - it cuts to the very heart of who/what Kane is, why he's that way, and what he wants/intends to do about it. Is Kane self aware? He sure acts like he is. The themes you're talking about are very old - from Skynet to HAL 9000 to Adam (Frankensein's monster, that is) to Zeus overthrowing Chronos and the Titans, the idea of our creations turning on us is one of the oldest themes in all myth. An AI "gone rogue" a pretty good take on Kane, but as for motivations we'll learn a lot more about his origins soon. That story should answer quite a few of these questions. The Grand Design? It will be revealed too - though you may end up waiting a bit longer for it...

Developer
@Ethan the Baron
1) have you ever considered adding Davy Jones to the game as an enemy and making him a more evil threat than the armada I just think it would be really cool to see Davy Jones added since this is pirate101 after all

Nope - see earlier response about Jack Sparrow. I'd rather make our own big bad who might resonate a little with Jones, but not be him. I'm more than content to deal with the Armada first, then add new big baddies.

There! That's the questions from Thread 2. I'll start addressing the new questions directly.

Developer
Doctor Z on Oct 9, 2013 wrote:
someone on p101 central wanted to ask this but does not have a membership.

Hi Blind Mew, I would like to ask you why no Portugal references? I mean, we were owners of half the New World, we have the oldest alliance in the world, with England (Marleybone), Vasco da Gama was the one that discovered India (Rajah) and I can go on for lines but not a single reference? I'm not mad, I love the game, but I think this country deserved at least one reference.
The answer I gave about the Dutch will have to stand - we have so many powers out there jostling for attention already, we have to overlook some. But, that said, we're an MMO, and in theory we want to keep going forever - a spiral Portugal analogue could have a big role to play in whatever comes after El Dorado...

Developer
Grizzley117 on Oct 10, 2013 wrote:
I have a question Mr. Blind Mew, currently I am in Port Regal and I love it there. It is as close to Marleybone as someone can get until I actually get there Do you have any plans to go back there for something? I haven't heard of anyone saying that we get to go back there. That makes me sad... Thanks!!
As Chrissy confirms, you'll see a LOT more of Port Regal on your way to Marleybone. Judging by some of the feedback we got when Book 13 went to Test, you may get more port Regal than you wanted!

Developer
Quick Pearl on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
I always enjoyed reading the thread. ^^ I'm glad you've returned Blind Mew. Now, I've got a question to pester you with. (If you don't mind.)

If Gracie Conrad is the same person as Grace Conrad, how would Grace be in Celestia? (I hope I didn't read your response to William incorrectly.)

I'm pretty sure somewhere you stated that around the time that our pirate is in Mooshu, our wizard is there as well. So, following that, when our pirates are in Marleybone, our wizards would be in Dragonspyre, and when our pirates are in Aquila, our wizard would be in Celestia. (Is that correct?) So I'm just confused as to how exactly our dear Gracie can be in two places at once.

Thank you for taking the time to answer the community's questions. ^^

~Quick Pearl
This is one of those places where Wizard and Pirate being roughly simultaneous comes in to play, and why I steadfastly refuse to give a firm date. Gracie either was called back to the Isle of Dogs from her work in Celestia to help with the War Effort, or else she'll go to Celestia as soon as she's done with El Dorado.

From your Pirate's point of view, she's never in two places at once. Chronology is funny in MMOs, because of how tied to geography it is: places get linked to levels, and therefore to time. You've seen Phule in two places, but is he in two places at once? I figure with Gracie it's even easier, them being in separate games and all.

Developer
old faithful cam on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:

hey blind mew I am finding this Q&A to be very interesting i have a few questions myself
  1. When we get to el dorado will we be able to visit whenever we want?
  2. will we have to do some fighting in el dorado?
  3. will we ever get to know phule he has always been a favorite of mine
  4. will we ever have to do battle with the mysterious female clockwork?
  5. I need to have peace in mind about this so please tell me that there will be more stories after we reach el dorado.
1. I figure ultimatley, yes - El Dorado will behave and be governed by the same rules as all the other game spaces. The huge barrier is in getting there. Once you've been there, you can go back.

2. If you didn't, wouldn't that be boring?

3. He's to cool to drop forever. We have more for him to say.

4. That would be telling.

5. More stories? If I have anything to say about it, there sure will be!

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
131
1: Will we see more of bishop? He is my favorite clockwork yet

2: is there a chance we will meet captain blood again?

3: wouldn't catbeard know of the powers that rest in el dorado? Why hasn't he told us?

4: what happens know with the war between the armada and marley bone?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
Blind Mew on Oct 23, 2013 wrote:
This is one of those places where Wizard and Pirate being roughly simultaneous comes in to play, and why I steadfastly refuse to give a firm date. Gracie either was called back to the Isle of Dogs from her work in Celestia to help with the War Effort, or else she'll go to Celestia as soon as she's done with El Dorado.

From your Pirate's point of view, she's never in two places at once. Chronology is funny in MMOs, because of how tied to geography it is: places get linked to levels, and therefore to time. You've seen Phule in two places, but is he in two places at once? I figure with Gracie it's even easier, them being in separate games and all.
I think Grace Conrad in Celestia and Gracie Conrad from Marleybone are similarly named and similar looking, but are actually very different people, as I've somewhat figured it out when I saw Grace in W101 and Gracie in P101. It led me to this possibility centering around the Conrad kin. They both originate from Marleybone, but their goals are way different. Gracie Conrad is an Engineer, and Grace Conrad, she's one of the many members of the Spiral Geographic Society. Plus, they have different voices that completely tells them apart. I knew that she couldn't be in two places at once, because that would be just plain ridiculous. While they share a similar last name, I think they're either relatives like siblings or much like distant family kin. The Spiral sure brings out many mysteries, especially those among many families, doesn't it? Hope that clears up the confusion that's been brought up for a while.

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
539
question 1.what does a clockwork look like under their masks? i imagine the skelecogs from toontown(i miss that game but eh,toontown rewritten is being developed)
question 2.what are the chances of us going to krokotopia.

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
449
Blind Mew on Oct 8, 2013 wrote:
4. Will we ever be going to rajah, krokotopia, or darkmoor in the el dorado storyline

Yes on two of those. Which two? You can no doubt predict my answer.

5. When we get to el dorado our parents said to find them so why do they need us? What do they need from us? And who is going to help us find out where to get our mothers map piece Avery? Presidio companion? Or who would know where her map piece is held?

It likely isn't that your parents need something (they're dead, after all), but rather that they think you need something, and they want you to get it. As to finding your mother's piece, that's going to be tricky. The Presidio companion would be an ideal person to go to, but they haven't spoken up about it yet...

6. Is their ever going to be a twist to the story where one of our companions (possibly the presidio 5) were actually the ones who killed our parents and that's what our parents want to warn us about or will their ever be a companion that has been secretly working with the armada the whole time a traitor?

If there were, it'd sure ruin the surprise if I telegraphed it by answering this question! That said, I love the kind of twists you're talking about, but they'd be very hard to follow through with - we can't kill a Companion, or have you fire them. So you find out they betrayed you and... there's no consequence? Cool as the twist might be, without consequences it's far less satisfying.

7. Last in Aquila we don't know who our parents are anymore will this ever come back to mind in the game and will we ever remember them?

Yup on one, maybe on two.
I bet it is Krokotopia because it is a place where you grew up. Who WOULDN'T want to go where you grew up?

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
160
Blind Mew on Oct 23, 2013 wrote:
@Silent Tom Sharp
It's a bit trivial really but I want to see what you think:
Can we consider Kane and his Clockworks as AI's or simply computer programs gone rogue?
I'm talking AI as in science fiction that becomes self aware and surpasses its creators, seeing them as imperfect because when you think about, or at least when I do, that seems like what the Clockworks did. In most stories concerning artificial intelligence you see the robot or computer overthrowing its creator or attempting to find meaning for synthetic life, similar to actual organic life finding meaning through religion for example. Is it possible that Kane is a self aware being attempting to find meaning for his kind?(Wow I sound pretty ridiculous right now). But we've heard hints of something called the "Grand Design" and that sounds like some "what-is-the-meaning-of-life?" questions. So can we really consider Kane and his Court as self aware or simply computer programs on the fritz?

This isn't trivial at all - it cuts to the very heart of who/what Kane is, why he's that way, and what he wants/intends to do about it. Is Kane self aware? He sure acts like he is. The themes you're talking about are very old - from Skynet to HAL 9000 to Adam (Frankensein's monster, that is) to Zeus overthrowing Chronos and the Titans, the idea of our creations turning on us is one of the oldest themes in all myth. An AI "gone rogue" a pretty good take on Kane, but as for motivations we'll learn a lot more about his origins soon. That story should answer quite a few of these questions. The Grand Design? It will be revealed too - though you may end up waiting a bit longer for it...
I am not hoping for confirmation on this, but I at least want to know if this theory has any major or minor relation to the GRAND DESIGN!!! it may be a bit lengthy, but IMO is worth reading.

As we all know, Kane and the Clockworks were created for the purpose of ending the Polarian war. Kane was most likely a high ranking member of the armada, or was at least in the war. He seems to sound like he he has "Ideas, thoughts and emotions" like the other elites. I believe he had an epiphany after the war ended, and this is what it was. He realized that the clockworks were the ultimate peacemakers, being able to end the polarian war almost on their own. He also saw that the worlds of the spiral were constantly fighting, and this was mainly due to diversity and different cultures. He looks at the clockworks and saw perfection. complete uniformity, and although the goons were not as advanced as Kane, the species would be able to evolve. Although they possessed "emotions" they did not cloud their judgement (i.e.: Rooke being upset about Deacon's downfall, but ignored the PC in mooshu to continue business). He decided that the clockworks were the future, all the good traits the species of the spiral had, with all the negatives corrected. He wanted to reform the spiral, in a way he saw as perfection. He first saw several roadblocks in his plan, such as the past civilizations may influence the future clockwork community. So he decided to destroy all other traces of spiral culture, with the prime example being the drill crusher in Granchia. He also saw one major issue. with the different climates and terrains of the worlds of the spiral, the clockwork communities may reform several cultures that may induce war. He had to mike THE SPIRAL ITSELF uniformed. He heard of the legend of El Dorado, and believed it's power could do what he wished. He had to keep relations with the other worlds of the spiral, as to not stall troops from their search for the map pieces. otherwise, progress would stall if something were to happen like the war with Marlebone. He also had to handle those who could not be reasoned with, such as the pirates. All this work would soon become too much, so he had to create others like himself so they could handle problems with like a being, and not a machine, and thus, the elites were born. I will continue with my theory about the events from the game's being onward.

F.R. Holystone
lv 65

Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
sup blind mew! im questing in the hanted skyway right now. how many more worlds will i have to complete to get to el dorado?

Ensign
Oct 13, 2012
23
Was being curious today and wanted to ask some questions.

1. Will we ever see the brass monkey again? I'm sure he will pop up in some random dungeon.

2.Will we ever get a back story on Louis le Bisque. He is a great companion and I want to learn more about him.

3.If we ever got to fight Kane could you guess how hard the fight would be?

4. Do you think Doctor Noh would be a good Main quest companion? Why or Why not?

5. I know this is kind of a random question but how come Deacon does not drop any special gear like the rest of the armada?

6. Will we ever fight one of our class trainers for like a test?

Ensign
May 31, 2012
28
Blind Mew, why do your answers always get me so excited and angry in equal measure?! XD Anyways, what I've been wanting to know: You said in a previous story thread that we would be getting more class-specific main companions, like the Mooshu 5 and the Kraken Skulls 5. Could you tell us if the next ones will be the same class us us (i.e. Swashbucklers get a Swash companion, Buccaneers get a Bucc, etc.), or will you guys be switching it up more?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Trimond297 on Oct 24, 2013 wrote:
I think Grace Conrad in Celestia and Gracie Conrad from Marleybone are similarly named and similar looking, but are actually very different people, as I've somewhat figured it out when I saw Grace in W101 and Gracie in P101. It led me to this possibility centering around the Conrad kin. They both originate from Marleybone, but their goals are way different. Gracie Conrad is an Engineer, and Grace Conrad, she's one of the many members of the Spiral Geographic Society. Plus, they have different voices that completely tells them apart. I knew that she couldn't be in two places at once, because that would be just plain ridiculous. While they share a similar last name, I think they're either relatives like siblings or much like distant family kin. The Spiral sure brings out many mysteries, especially those among many families, doesn't it? Hope that clears up the confusion that's been brought up for a while.
Interesting theory but Blind Mew already told us that he wrote her as the same person. Keep thinking though, nice idea.

Ensign
Jan 02, 2011
15
pirate101 lover on Oct 24, 2013 wrote:
I bet it is Krokotopia because it is a place where you grew up. Who WOULDN'T want to go where you grew up?
While it may be where you (and I) chose to grow up in not everyone chose to grow up in Krokotopia the other options being Grizzleheim,Marleybone,Scrimshaw, or Mooshu .So I wouldn't say that's really accurate. No offense; but Krokotopia would be totally awesome I think

Two-faced Darcy Freeman
Level 62 Witchdoctor

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 27, 2013 wrote:
Interesting theory but Blind Mew already told us that he wrote her as the same person. Keep thinking though, nice idea.
Theory or otherwise, I'm not the only one who can tell who is who apart. Who knows? They may be sisters or distant cousins. Just saying.

Ensign
Jun 05, 2011
23
Is Phule's "good" side influencing his "bad" side? Or do different clockworks have different personalities? When we met Phule in Valencia, he said "Surrender the piece of the map you have, and I will let you live." While when we met Deacon, he ensured that our death would be "swift and painless," instead of giving us a chance to live (besides beating him).

Also, how did Wyatt Chirp of the Mag. 7 die? My guess is that Wild Bill Peacock might've done it by mistake, because the real person, Wild Bill Hickok (who I'm guessing he's based off of) killed the sheriff in town by mistake.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
302
Sky Sailor on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:
Is Phule's "good" side influencing his "bad" side? Or do different clockworks have different personalities? When we met Phule in Valencia, he said "Surrender the piece of the map you have, and I will let you live." While when we met Deacon, he ensured that our death would be "swift and painless," instead of giving us a chance to live (besides beating him).

Also, how did Wyatt Chirp of the Mag. 7 die? My guess is that Wild Bill Peacock might've done it by mistake, because the real person, Wild Bill Hickok (who I'm guessing he's based off of) killed the sheriff in town by mistake.
Blind Mew, If you haven't written the next promotion for the Magnificent 6, that would be an excellent place to reveal the mystery of Wyatt Chirp's death. We know that (at least) Buffalo Bill and Duck Holiday blame Duck Holiday for Wyatt's death. Somehow I suspect that English Bill is also involved. If so, Darkmoor is the most obvious place to reveal the answer.

Petty Officer
Mar 29, 2012
87
I really liked the promotion of Ratbeard to rat admiral, how did you guys come up the idea to use the story of A Christmas Carol, Its amazing!

and the voice of Mr. Barks, in the trade legation, mooshu, is that the same voice as Avery?

Blaze

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
709
Blaze Carter on Oct 29, 2013 wrote:
I really liked the promotion of Ratbeard to rat admiral, how did you guys come up the idea to use the story of A Christmas Carol, Its amazing!

and the voice of Mr. Barks, in the trade legation, mooshu, is that the same voice as Avery?

Blaze
Excellent questions, you reminded me to ask one of my own. I've got a million questions it seems, but my short memory doesn't really allow me to repeat them, so I'll just do this one.

Is the voice of Hawkules the same as Captain Boochbeard?