Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

This Event Could Work

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
This may seem like old news at this point but this has been stuck in my head since the day I first brought it up. A while back I started a thread in The Tavern called "Five Nights at Skull Island". Hear me out first! In the beginning I felt "hey, Five Nights at Freddy's is becoming so popular why not pay it homage in another popular game". Though after it went up it was obvious that many were having none of it. After rereading the initial post I realized it was a bit off but there was no change in opinion even after I revised. Ever since that thread was closed, I have thought long and hard while staying up to date with fnaf and I've figured out how and why it can work as an event with p101 without issue. Just hear me out.
First off, I've made this clear many times, I'm NOT asking to put fnaf in p101! I'm asking to reference it! It would be impossible to incorporate that gameplay style with the style already established here. Second, I'm only referencing the first 2 games. The animatronics from 3 and 4 are creepy but the ones from the first 2 by themselves are not. What makes them scary are the jumpscares and the atmosphere; by themselves they're nothing (seriously, Chucky the doll is scarier than these things). Third, the animatronics can be made cute. The creator of fnaf has been creating a new game called "fnaf world" feature all the fnaf characters, and he's made them adorable, so nobody can use the "too scary" excuse anymore because it is possible.
I have a further study into this. For Halloween I dressed as The Puppet. Aside from loving the character, I wanted to see if it was really that scary (not even trying to be scary, just passing out candy). There were kids around 6-8 who knew what game I was from, and thought it looked cool. I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few toddlers that were freaked out. But seriously, ages 6-8 knew it, p101 is rated E10+! Case closed. (also, btw, there was in fact a 5 or 6 year-old that was dressed as Chucky the doll, creepy mask and all, so I don't know how I can prove my point any further)
Now as for the story for the "Five Nights Event", I have made major changes. It'll still be have fnaf but it will fit in better. There will be a chain of five "super-taverns" like originally planned and I've given an identity to the manager: Mary O'Nette. The story will be that each tavern has a set of animatronics that somehow go haywire and start leading people into a back room. As we go through the story, we discover the Armada, specifically Bishop, has been hacking the animatronics and is using them to capture pirates within the taverns.
I'll continue to add on as the thread goes so please feel free to join the discussion. And please be mindful so this doesn't go in circles.
Golden Mycin Inglewood Lvl 65 Witchdoctor

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
I do not see how this is different from the last thread about it: I personally think this wouldn't be a great idea, although I understand that you aren't trying to put the game in P101. I saw that last thread too- It had a ton of negative reviews and had to be closed by an administratior. Forgive me if I'm being harsh, but I just don't see how this could work.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
dk4vision on Dec 28, 2015 wrote:
I do not see how this is different from the last thread about it: I personally think this wouldn't be a great idea, although I understand that you aren't trying to put the game in P101. I saw that last thread too- It had a ton of negative reviews and had to be closed by an administratior. Forgive me if I'm being harsh, but I just don't see how this could work.
I don't think you're being harsh at all. It's not the difference in opinion that gets to me, it's how it's presented. You saw how it went last time so you know it wasn't presented well. You at least made it clear that you understand my intentions and I'm thankful for that; and I'm perfectly ok with clarifying so you can see how it could work.
The main difference is what's going on within the plot; I've redone a few things so it could fit in better with the storyline plot. In the old thread, I suggested that some evil witchdoctor was cursing the spirits of young pirates to haunt the animatronics (if not the worse fate I first suggested). In this version, the animatronics aren't being haunted but are instead being hacked. Bishop (and even possibly Phule) is hacking the animatronics and programming them to, very subtly, lead pirates into a backroom to be captured by the Armada.
Consider this: the Armada is a widely hated force throughout the Spiral and are facing increasingly greater resistance. It's highly probable that at some point that they would have to develop very inconspicuous ways of acquiring targets. Hacking animatronic mascots within a series of "super-taverns" could very well be one such way.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I think I now understand what was proposed in the original thread. FNaF is a somewhat questionable series, but I and many others do enjoy it very much.

So, for those of you still confused and/or strongly against the idea of a Five Nights at Freddy's reference, I believe this is what the suggested event was and is:

The Armada (Bishop would be illogical if you have completed Marleybone) is using animatronic robots created to look like anthropomorphic animals that have been placed in taverns to kidnap (not kill!) pirates; it's up to us to get to the bottom of it and also stop it. The event would function like Wizard101's B.O.X.E.S. event: we'd be sent to one location spawned in a set place in a specific world. As we only have 5 worlds with logical places to set a tavern (Skull Island, Cool Ranch, MooShu, Marleybone, and Aquila, because there isn't anywhere in Valencia and Monquista that is big enough or would make sense to place one), one "night" would take place in each world.

In each tavern, we'd have to sneak through the halls of the building in a way similar to the Helgrind Warren in Nidavellir, a mazelike dungeon located in Wizard101's Grizzleheim, if you have no idea what I'm talking about, making sure to both watch the map to take the correct path to the back room, and avoid enemies that we may cross paths with. There would, of course, be unavoidable fights and dialogue that help progress the side story within the 5 taverns. Each one would finish with a fight against that specific tavern's animatronic.

The event would naturally conclude with our pirate successfully rescuing all of the kidnapped pirates and defeating whoever was the mastermind behind the plan.

So, to conclude:

-read it again if you're still confused because I'm out of room
-no jumpscares
-standard explore/puzzle/fight gameplay
-excellent reference the teen age group will enjoy if they're into indie horror games
-no questionable morals/death
-more Armada bashing

Hey, I think it's a great idea.

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
Plus, I see no real fun in this event if you take away the jumpscares/atmosphere, as that is the only thing that makes the game unique. We already have robots attacking us, and I won't let this logic about a five-year-old dressed as a "creepy doll" ruin one of my favorite games.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Serpent10611 on Dec 27, 2015 wrote:
This may seem like old news at this point but this has been stuck in my head since the day I first brought it up. A while back I started a thread in The Tavern called "Five Nights at Skull Island". Hear me out first! In the beginning I felt "hey, Five Nights at Freddy's is becoming so popular why not pay it homage in another popular game". Though after it went up it was obvious that many were having none of it. After rereading the initial post I realized it was a bit off but there was no change in opinion even after I revised. Ever since that thread was closed, I have thought long and hard while staying up to date with fnaf and I've figured out how and why it can work as an event with p101 without issue. Just hear me out.
First off, I've made this clear many times, I'm NOT asking to put fnaf in p101! I'm asking to reference it! It would be impossible to incorporate that gameplay style with the style already established here. Second, I'm only referencing the first 2 games. The animatronics from 3 and 4 are creepy but the ones from the first 2 by themselves are not. What makes them scary are the jumpscares and the atmosphere; by themselves they're nothing (seriously, Chucky the doll is scarier than these things). Third, the animatronics can be made cute. The creator of fnaf has been creating a new game called "fnaf world" feature all the fnaf characters, and he's made them adorable, so nobody can use the "too scary" excuse anymore because it is possible.
I have a further study into this. For Halloween I dressed as The Puppet. Aside from loving the character, I wanted to see if it was really that scary (not even trying to be scary, just passing out candy). There were kids around 6-8 who knew what game I was from, and thought it looked cool. I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few toddlers that were freaked out. But seriously, ages 6-8 knew it, p101 is rated E10+! Case closed. (also, btw, there was in fact a 5 or 6 year-old that was dressed as Chucky the doll, creepy mask and all, so I don't know how I can prove my point any further)
Now as for the story for the "Five Nights Event", I have made major changes. It'll still be have fnaf but it will fit in better. There will be a chain of five "super-taverns" like originally planned and I've given an identity to the manager: Mary O'Nette. The story will be that each tavern has a set of animatronics that somehow go haywire and start leading people into a back room. As we go through the story, we discover the Armada, specifically Bishop, has been hacking the animatronics and is using them to capture pirates within the taverns.
I'll continue to add on as the thread goes so please feel free to join the discussion. And please be mindful so this doesn't go in circles.
I'm still wondering why you want KI to make a parody/homage to this sick game.

Bosun
Mar 04, 2012
As long as there are no creepy dolls I think it sounds kinda neat plus If you look at some of the dialogue in wizards it's a little and I'm not saying it's a bad game wizards is one of my favorite games but when you get to azteca it gets a little more dark and creepy plus one of the dungeons has a ghostbusters reference in it so I don't really see anything bad with this version great idea

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
MistyDragon13 on Dec 29, 2015 wrote:
I think I now understand what was proposed in the original thread. FNaF is a somewhat questionable series, but I and many others do enjoy it very much.

So, for those of you still confused and/or strongly against the idea of a Five Nights at Freddy's reference, I believe this is what the suggested event was and is:

The Armada (Bishop would be illogical if you have completed Marleybone) is using animatronic robots created to look like anthropomorphic animals that have been placed in taverns to kidnap (not kill!) pirates; it's up to us to get to the bottom of it and also stop it. The event would function like Wizard101's B.O.X.E.S. event: we'd be sent to one location spawned in a set place in a specific world. As we only have 5 worlds with logical places to set a tavern (Skull Island, Cool Ranch, MooShu, Marleybone, and Aquila, because there isn't anywhere in Valencia and Monquista that is big enough or would make sense to place one), one "night" would take place in each world.

In each tavern, we'd have to sneak through the halls of the building in a way similar to the Helgrind Warren in Nidavellir, a mazelike dungeon located in Wizard101's Grizzleheim, if you have no idea what I'm talking about, making sure to both watch the map to take the correct path to the back room, and avoid enemies that we may cross paths with. There would, of course, be unavoidable fights and dialogue that help progress the side story within the 5 taverns. Each one would finish with a fight against that specific tavern's animatronic.

The event would naturally conclude with our pirate successfully rescuing all of the kidnapped pirates and defeating whoever was the mastermind behind the plan.

So, to conclude:

-no jumpscares
-excellent reference the teen age group will enjoy if they're into indie horror games
-more Armada bashing

I personally would like to thank you for this post; finally someone who understands and is willing to help explain.
Bishop would be logical though. I've completed the story available so far so I know what happens in Marleybone but it isn't clear whether or not he goes down with Beachhead. Rooke says that Bishop informs him of what happened so it's possible that he's still "alive".
The way you've explained the plot is pretty straight forward to what I had in mind, save for a few things. The Armada didn't place the animatronics in the taverns. The "super-taverns" are of a separate type than what we already have and have featured the animatronics since they first opened (in the storyline that would be for about a month). The Armada only recently began hacking them to start kidnapping. And yes, B.O.X.E.S. event was where got the idea (partially). Also, the idea of using the map to navigate through the s-taverns is genius. Though in order to do that successfully, the quest helper would have to be disabled within them; the objective would stay but the arrow would be gone. I imagine it would be to find which hallways are safe; i.e. not blocked by dead ends or other minor enemies.
At the end, after we rescue the kidnapped and drive the Armada out, Mary O'Nette realizes she'll have to close the s-taverns for good; at which point we get her as a companion. I picture her as a fairly tall, very skinny female humanoid. She'd be wearing a black short skirt and her sleeves and leggings would be black and white striped (the stripes will be the vertical kind that run the length of the clothing rather than the ringed kind seen on her obvious reference). Her hair's short and black and her face, instead of masked, is painted completely white with a dark blue swirled pattern on her forehead and cheeks; her eyes'll be dark too. Her black and white clothing will change to our pirate's flag colors but her face-paint will be unchanged. She'll be a witchdoctor with summoning powers.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Dec 29, 2015 wrote:

So, to conclude:

-no jumpscares
-more Armada bashing

This is a brilliant analysis, but it doesn't make the idea of an homage/parody to FNaF any better.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Serpent10611 on Dec 31, 2015 wrote:
I personally would like to thank you for this post; finally someone who understands and is willing to help explain.
Bishop would be logical though. I've completed the story available so far so I know what happens in Marleybone but it isn't clear whether or not he goes down with Beachhead. Rooke says that Bishop informs him of what happened so it's possible that he's still "alive".
The way you've explained the plot is pretty straight forward to what I had in mind, save for a few things. The Armada didn't place the animatronics in the taverns. The "super-taverns" are of a separate type than what we already have and have featured the animatronics since they first opened (in the storyline that would be for about a month). The Armada only recently began hacking them to start kidnapping. And yes, B.O.X.E.S. event was where got the idea (partially). Also, the idea of using the map to navigate through the s-taverns is genius. Though in order to do that successfully, the quest helper would have to be disabled within them; the objective would stay but the arrow would be gone. I imagine it would be to find which hallways are safe; i.e. not blocked by dead ends or other minor enemies.
At the end, after we rescue the kidnapped and drive the Armada out, Mary O'Nette realizes she'll have to close the s-taverns for good; at which point we get her as a companion. I picture her as a fairly tall, very skinny female humanoid. She'd be wearing a black short skirt and her sleeves and leggings would be black and white striped (the stripes will be the vertical kind that run the length of the clothing rather than the ringed kind seen on her obvious reference). Her hair's short and black and her face, instead of masked, is painted completely white with a dark blue swirled pattern on her forehead and cheeks; her eyes'll be dark too. Her black and white clothing will change to our pirate's flag colors but her face-paint will be unchanged. She'll be a witchdoctor with summoning powers.
Ah, Madame Puppet. I like it.

You could be right on the Bishop idea; he definitely could have made it out but it's near unlikely due to the thrashing we gave him. I wonder if he's made copies of whatever stores his intelligence and information. Maybe it can be activated in another clockwork, bringing him back?

As for the hacking vs placing mistake on my part, I figured it would make more sense for a clockwork producer to supply the animatronics rather than some sort of fancy technological hackery hoodoo (yup, I know very little about computers) because the Armada aren't exactly incognito at this point. It would be difficult for them to mess with implemented robots unless they could do it from a distance, and since they've outlawed magic, Bishop would be hard-pressed to change a system already set in place without changing something in the system physically; the technology presented in the game, especially Marleybone, is (I think!) late 19th Century. It's definitely not as advanced as today's; there would be difficulty in affecting (hacking) something over long distances without magic. However, merely activating a corrupted system hidden in an animatronic's files would be much easier.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Serpent10611 on Dec 27, 2015 wrote:
Mate, though I admire all kinds of Creativity I find this a bad idea sorry, it be just that LITTLER PIRATES play this and that kinda stuff will scar them fer life mate, I be sorry but NO!!!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
silver swordcoral on Dec 30, 2015 wrote:
As long as there are no creepy dolls I think it sounds kinda neat plus If you look at some of the dialogue in wizards it's a little and I'm not saying it's a bad game wizards is one of my favorite games but when you get to azteca it gets a little more dark and creepy plus one of the dungeons has a ghostbusters reference in it so I don't really see anything bad with this version great idea
However, this is not a mere reference. This sounds like a huge mistake to me, and I second Anecorbie's thought on this topic.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
anecorbie on Dec 30, 2015 wrote:
I know that many people consider fnaf a "sick game" as I've already seen much of that when I first posted the thought. I will sympathize in saying it's a blameless reaction. I remember the lore described when only the first game was out and it was. . .jaw-dropping to say the least. But I'll tell you why I want my proposed event in p101, aside from loving both games.
Five Nights at Freddy's has opened new perspectives within the gaming community and even in game designing. It's not the creepiness factor that keeps fans' attention or even the game itself, it's the shear mystery behind the entire series lore. The creator has kept people wanting more because he's left half of what actually happened for us to speculate and theorists have spent hours, days, even months doing so. The series has been such a success because the "want to know" won't let us put the vague story to rest.
What I'm trying to say is that fnaf is successful because it's able to maximize our sense of wonder, perspective, conceptuality, and ambition for creativity. A game that is able to do all that deserves the reference.
Also, I think it would be better for p101 to also appeal to middle generations as well. It's made so that kids at least 10 will enjoy and already includes many dialog phrases that adults will get from older movies and such; I think it would be a good idea to include something us teens will recognize and relate to. Plus it's something more current and so doesn't dwell completely within past references.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
anecorbie on Dec 30, 2015 wrote:
Just because it's a horror game, doesn't make it sick. It has a really deep story, and people are still debating about what the story is exactly (though it's calmed down quite a bit.) So it may be scary, (it may even be pretty disgusting), but sick? No way.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Grin Reaper on Jan 1, 2016 wrote:
Just because it's a horror game, doesn't make it sick. It has a really deep story, and people are still debating about what the story is exactly (though it's calmed down quite a bit.) So it may be scary, (it may even be pretty disgusting), but sick? No way.
How does killing children and stuffing their bodies into animatronic suits not fit the definition of "sick"?

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
MistyDragon13 on Dec 31, 2015 wrote:
Ah, Madame Puppet. I like it.

You could be right on the Bishop idea; he definitely could have made it out but it's near unlikely due to the thrashing we gave him. I wonder if he's made copies of whatever stores his intelligence and information. Maybe it can be activated in another clockwork, bringing him back?

As for the hacking vs placing mistake on my part, I figured it would make more sense for a clockwork producer to supply the animatronics rather than some sort of fancy technological hackery hoodoo (yup, I know very little about computers) because the Armada aren't exactly incognito at this point. It would be difficult for them to mess with implemented robots unless they could do it from a distance, and since they've outlawed magic, Bishop would be hard-pressed to change a system already set in place without changing something in the system physically; the technology presented in the game, especially Marleybone, is (I think!) late 19th Century. It's definitely not as advanced as today's; there would be difficulty in affecting (hacking) something over long distances without magic. However, merely activating a corrupted system hidden in an animatronic's files would be much easier.
I'd say it's highly possible the Armada could perform the type of hacking I suggested. For one thing, no one would trust them to supply "fun-time" animatronics anywhere. The s-taverns, theoretically speaking, would have to close regularly at some time, giving ample opportunity to sneak in afterhours. Even if they can't, though the Armada outlawed magic, we clearly see that when Bishop fights, he uses some sort of technomancy, making long-distance control a possibility. Also, we really don't know what the technological limits are within the Spiral as a whole. The Valencians basically mass-produced A.I. so proper hacking might not be that far behind. Even the idea you suggest of Bishop transferring his "brain" into another clockwork; different parts of the Spiral seem to be within different technological ages so not much is really out of the question.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I think those of you who are still flat-out against this idea are still completely misunderstanding it. The proposed event is in no way connected to the story of Mr. Cawthon's games. Putting it in even simpler terms, we're walking into a tavern, beating up some robots that are connected to the Armada, and (possibly) gaining a companion. There's absolutely nothing wrong with throwing in a nod to a game series that many people enjoy despite the somewhat grim lore. In fact, the recently created popular theory is that the events of all of the FNaF games are just nightmares had by the crying child in the fourth game. There is a lot of proof for this; check out the Game Theory videos on YouTube if you are interested.

If you are still thinking that an event with a loose reference to FNaF will be us avoiding animatronics so we are not forcibly stuffed into suits and killed, read the thread again. It's mentioned absolutely nowhere, and it has nothing to do with the idea that's been created. KingsIsle games are fluffy enough that something of that manner would never make the cut; it will be watered down to the point that it's mostly water with barely a hint of flavor.

Obviously I am in no position to change all of your minds, but I at least ask that you see reason and stop being biased just because of your notions of the Five Nights at Freddy's series.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
jack morgan933 on Dec 31, 2015 wrote:
Mate, though I admire all kinds of Creativity I find this a bad idea sorry, it be just that LITTLER PIRATES play this and that kinda stuff will scar them fer life mate, I be sorry but NO!!!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
Again, I understand the concern for the younger players, but there is one matter I'd like to bring up that I think people are overlooking (and I apologize if I start sounding a bit rude about it). With all these posts I've seen about "little kids being scarred" because of this, it puts me under the impression that people think kids as young as 5 play this game. The youngest age limit for p101 is 10. I've noticed over the years that kids around that age are no longer "delicate flowers"; they've gotten bolder. And this is the only time I'll repeat myself, the event I suggest is NOT a copy-and-paste fnaf. I've already reworked the story so not frightening at all and the "sudden shock of something screaming into your face" that's made fnaf scary is out of the picture.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
Serpent10611 on Jan 1, 2016 wrote:
I know that many people consider fnaf a "sick game" as I've already seen much of that when I first posted the thought. I will sympathize in saying it's a blameless reaction. I remember the lore described when only the first game was out and it was. . .jaw-dropping to say the least. But I'll tell you why I want my proposed event in p101, aside from loving both games.
Five Nights at Freddy's has opened new perspectives within the gaming community and even in game designing. It's not the creepiness factor that keeps fans' attention or even the game itself, it's the shear mystery behind the entire series lore. The creator has kept people wanting more because he's left half of what actually happened for us to speculate and theorists have spent hours, days, even months doing so. The series has been such a success because the "want to know" won't let us put the vague story to rest.
What I'm trying to say is that fnaf is successful because it's able to maximize our sense of wonder, perspective, conceptuality, and ambition for creativity. A game that is able to do all that deserves the reference.
Also, I think it would be better for p101 to also appeal to middle generations as well. It's made so that kids at least 10 will enjoy and already includes many dialog phrases that adults will get from older movies and such; I think it would be a good idea to include something us teens will recognize and relate to. Plus it's something more current and so doesn't dwell completely within past references.
Um, you phrased that way better than I did, (so uh, what you said.)

Also, I wouldn't really take scariness into consideration, considering the amount of death and cruelty, (not to mention the big amount of curses that tend to turn people undead) there is. Right off the bat, you have Deacon who appears to try to kill Boochbeard right before he leaves. Heck, the haunted skyway in Cool Ranch is a prime example of this. A murderess pirate who killed a bunch of people, then cheated death himself, turning the skyway into what it is now: a place of no mercy, haunted be ghost ships, and don't get me started on Miranda; that dungeon freaked even me out (seriously, that tavern music is CREEPY,.)
That's just one example, so people who think that the children playing P101 are too young for this: are saying that they're too young for, I'd say, half of Pirate101. (Ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but still. You get my point.)

The Grin Reaper

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
The Grin Reaper on Jan 2, 2016 wrote:
Um, you phrased that way better than I did, (so uh, what you said.)

Also, I wouldn't really take scariness into consideration, considering the amount of death and cruelty, (not to mention the big amount of curses that tend to turn people undead) there is. Right off the bat, you have Deacon who appears to try to kill Boochbeard right before he leaves. Heck, the haunted skyway in Cool Ranch is a prime example of this. A murderess pirate who killed a bunch of people, then cheated death himself, turning the skyway into what it is now: a place of no mercy, haunted be ghost ships, and don't get me started on Miranda; that dungeon freaked even me out (seriously, that tavern music is CREEPY,.)
That's just one example, so people who think that the children playing P101 are too young for this: are saying that they're too young for, I'd say, half of Pirate101. (Ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but still. You get my point.)

The Grin Reaper
Exactly.
It's a part of that which keeps the older players wanting to continue playing. That bit of creepiness and potential death makes the game more interesting. If making p101 family-friendly meant having to make everything all "sugar-coated" and innocent, it would get really boring really fast and practically everything happening now would have to be scrapped. And if you think about it, pirates essentially risk their lives for a living, whether they're being hunted by the Armada or not. This event would only just add on to the ever-growing list of things out to get us.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Now, I have some issues with the FNaF series in general, however that's not why I'm posting.

My issue, is that it seems that we are so desperate for an update, that we're taking the story of another game, wrapping it up in Pirate101 gift paper, and calling it ours. A few nods to other things is fine. I have no issues with small nods like Donkey Hotey or The Rolling Stones. However outright taking another story from something else, changing it slightly, and calling it original just lacks creativity and doesn't feel as fun as something creative (Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I'm looking at you!). Yes you took out the mechanics that distinctly identify it as a horror game, however the story remains:

Disregarding hypothesizes, here's the gist for both games. A new business gets some animatronics. However, these robots lose control to an external source and begin terrorizing its customers. The customers are also lured to a back room, I might add. The player, who is working for below minimum wage, gets pieces of information to try and figure out what's been happening. Quite frankly, there are only 2 differences that I can see. One is how the player handles the situation. In FNaF, you stand around like a sitting duck, waiting for something to happen for 5 nights. In the P101 version, you actually try to destroy the animatronics The second is the occupation of the player.

Also, I just want to say that age doesn't necessarily indicate "fear tolerance". A younger kid is typically more scared of things in general since that's an unknown, and people naturally fear the unknown. Don't believe me? I absolutely REFUSE to play that game since it scares the living day lights out of me. However my friends, of equal age, don't think anything of it. These people also have a higher tolerance for gore than I do. These are people who play things like Skyrim and Fallout, while I'm a Pirate101 and Pokemon person. Call me immature or a wuss, I've made my point.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
anecorbie on Jan 1, 2016 wrote:
How does killing children and stuffing their bodies into animatronic suits not fit the definition of "sick"?
Ok, I looked up the definition of "sick" (literally.) Fair enough. The game franchise is sick. Doesn't make it bad though, and besides, the P101 version wouldn't be particularly sick.

The Grin Reaper

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
darkmoordude on Jan 3, 2016 wrote:
Or it could be the duck of death.
What? Who could? I'm pretty certain we blew up his ship, correct me if I'm wrong.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
FireMorgan13 on Jan 3, 2016 wrote:
Now, I have some issues with the FNaF series in general, however that's not why I'm posting.

My issue, is that it seems that we are so desperate for an update, that we're taking the story of another game, wrapping it up in Pirate101 gift paper, and calling it ours. A few nods to other things is fine. I have no issues with small nods like Donkey Hotey or The Rolling Stones. However outright taking another story from something else, changing it slightly, and calling it original just lacks creativity and doesn't feel as fun as something creative (Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I'm looking at you!). Yes you took out the mechanics that distinctly identify it as a horror game, however the story remains:

Disregarding hypothesizes, here's the gist for both games. A new business gets some animatronics. However, these robots lose control to an external source and begin terrorizing its customers. The customers are also lured to a back room, I might add. The player, who is working for below minimum wage, gets pieces of information to try and figure out what's been happening. Quite frankly, there are only 2 differences that I can see. One is how the player handles the situation. In FNaF, you stand around like a sitting duck, waiting for something to happen for 5 nights. In the P101 version, you actually try to destroy the animatronics The second is the occupation of the player.

Also, I just want to say that age doesn't necessarily indicate "fear tolerance". A younger kid is typically more scared of things in general since that's an unknown, and people naturally fear the unknown. Don't believe me? I absolutely REFUSE to play that game since it scares the living day lights out of me. However my friends, of equal age, don't think anything of it. These people also have a higher tolerance for gore than I do. These are people who play things like Skyrim and Fallout, while I'm a Pirate101 and Pokemon person. Call me immature or a wuss, I've made my point.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
I understand the points that you make but there are still other points that are being missed.
In regards to the first issue, I'm not repeating myself again. True, this event is a bit more than a nod but it's not a "giftwrapped" cut out either. It's the same type of correlation the wizards used with Dr. Who in the boxes event.
You are right about fear tolerance not completely corresponding to age and yes, generally everyone fears the unknown. But don't be accusing me of not knowing the fear response of that game. When it first came out, I too got scared at night, but after being regularly exposed to it I was numbed to it. And I wanna point this out: it's not the animatronics that are scary, it's the anticipation of if and when they'll get into your office and jump at you. And honestly, it's more a state of surprise than fear. I'll make an analogy for you:
Say your friend just jumps out at you from a dark room wearing some sort of mask. Yes, there's the initial fear response, but immediately your brain begins the process of figuring out what it is that's scaring you and you start to calm down; that's just being surprised (the animatronics give the initial scare but really all they are are robots in animal suits). Say some misshapen undead creature jumps out at you from a dark room. When something comes at you that your brain can't recognize, it just switches over to survival instincts until the danger is over; that's true fear. And as said before, it's the unknown of if and the shock of when the animatronics jump at you that triggers the fear response; it's not the animatronics themselves that trigger it. And I've made it clear that this event won't be having jumpscares so that fear response is unlikely.
I never said that this event was mandatory to play either. For those not interested, it could be easily glossed over like any side-quest. For those who are interested, it's something new and interesting we can complete and farm.