Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Songs of the Skyway

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Hola, mi amigos! Bienevidos! Ahem, in other words, hello my friends! Welcome! Well, today I have some new strawberry and mint teas out... I'm not so much for the mint, but the strawberry is wonderous. But you know! Have some foods to accompany your taste buds- I've brought in a strawberry lined shortcake, as well as a ginger cake trifle. Hope that's enough.

Well, today I'd like to ask you about songs. What do you hum as you sail throughout the skyways, or sing to encourage your crew? I personally like to sing a lovely pirate song, Randy Dandy Shanty. It's a wonderfully catchy melody and it's definitely fun to try and sing it correctly! The other I like to hum as I sail through the skyways is a beautiful Mooshuese melody that is extremely heartwarming and sad for me. It's a love song. I think. I do not remember the title, but I love it.

What songs do you like to sing through your ventures?

Ciao!

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Far over, the misty mountains cold,
To dungeons deep, and caverns old,
We must away, ere break of day,
To seek the pale, enchanted gold.

The dwarves of yore, made mighty spells,
While hammers fell, like ringing bells.
In places deep, where dark things sleep.
In hollow halls, beneath the fells.

For ancient king, and elvish lordThere many a gleaming golden hoard,
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught,
To hide in gems, on hilt of sword,

On silver necklaces they strung,
Te flowering stars, on crowns the hung,
The dragon fire, in twisted wire,
They meshed the light, of moon and sun.

We must away,ere break of day,
To claim, our long-forgotten gold.

Goblets they carved there for themselves,
And harps of gold where no man delves,
They lay there long, and many a song,
Was sung unheard, by men and elves.

The pines were roaring, on the height,
The winds were moaning, in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread,
The trees like torches, blazed with light.

The bells were ringing in the dale
And men looked up with faces pale;
The dragon's ire, more fierce then fire
layed low their towers and houses frail.

The mountain smoked, beneath the moon
The Dwarves they heard, the tramp of doom,
They fled their hall, to dying fall,
Beneath his feet, beneath the moon.

Far over, the misty mountains grim,
To dungeons deep, and caverns dim,
To win our harps, and gold from him!

The dwarves' song, by J.R.R. Tolkeins...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
My crew still hasn't gotten tired of the Wahoo Wahoo Buffaloon's Popping For Me song. They heard it when I watched it on youtube from link in the September newsletter and they haven't stopped singing it yet.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 31, 2009
I had written a short bit for A Survivor's Word some time ago and have been humming the tune ever since. A few weeks ago, I also put it on the piano.

Paisley sails, silence the wails,
With gold from El Dorado;
Paisley sails, as we turn tails,
Into a place that I've yet to know.
Flicker, fly, hush the sky,
Avernus drakes naught get ye,
Flicker, fly, and should we cry,
That'll be yer doom, now.

It's probably Skull Island or Marleybonian in origin. I put it under the names, "Paisley Sails" and "Treasure Hunter's Lullaby".

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
noahdd on Oct 12, 2013 wrote:
To seek the pale, enchanted gold.

The dwarves of yore, made mighty spells,
While hammers fell, like ringing bells.
In places deep, where dark things sleep.
In hollow halls, beneath the fells.

For ancient king, and elvish lordThere many a gleaming golden hoard,
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught,
To hide in gems, on hilt of sword,

On silver necklaces they strung,
Te flowering stars, on crowns the hung,
The dragon fire, in twisted wire,
They meshed the light, of moon and sun.

We must away,ere break of day,
To claim, our long-forgotten gold.

Goblets they carved there for themselves,
And harps of gold where no man delves,
They lay there long, and many a song,
Was sung unheard, by men and elves.

The pines were roaring, on the height,
The winds were moaning, in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread,
The trees like torches, blazed with light.

The bells were ringing in the dale
And men looked up with faces pale;
The dragon's ire, more fierce then fire
layed low their towers and houses frail.

The mountain smoked, beneath the moon
The Dwarves they heard, the tramp of doom,
They fled their hall, to dying fall,
Beneath his feet, beneath the moon.

Far over, the misty mountains grim,
To dungeons deep, and caverns dim,
To win our harps, and gold from him!

The dwarves' song, by J.R.R. Tolkeins...
Oh Lovely I thought it sounded like Tolkien and you proved my memory right. What a wonderful trip down memory lane. Thank you.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Besides loving some of the older chronologically correct songs such as Maid on the Shore, there are also several modern songs and groups that I listen to while playing Pirates. Although, most of what I listen to are Canadian Indie groups, so many of you may not have heard of these bands.

First one of my favourite modern groups is Arcade Fire, and awesome rock band from Montreal. My piratical playiest includes all albums they have currently released. (Many of you reading this have actually heard Arcade Fire, you may not know it though. They wrote the music used in the Hunger Games movie, and wrote/performed Abrahams' Daughter, the first song used during the credits to that movie.)

I also enjoy listening; to Revelstoke Dam by Brasstronaught, Anything music performed by Great Big Sea (from Newfoundland), or The Chieftains (Anne and Sam have probably heard of that particlular Irish group)
I have also recently found Yukon Blonde that I added to my piratical playlist.

I love Timber Timbre's music for any creepy parts/aread of Pirates. He has a real talent for mixing really lovely light melodies, with some nice creepy lyrics (although nothing too bad).

And of course, Mumford and Sons, (from England)

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:
My crew still hasn't gotten tired of the Wahoo Wahoo Buffaloon's Popping For Me song. They heard it when I watched it on youtube from link in the September newsletter and they haven't stopped singing it yet.
Your welcome, thank you for noting that.

May the Skyway be your way!

Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2011
CdeWinter on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
Besides loving some of the older chronologically correct songs such as Maid on the Shore, there are also several modern songs and groups that I listen to while playing Pirates. Although, most of what I listen to are Canadian Indie groups, so many of you may not have heard of these bands.

First one of my favourite modern groups is Arcade Fire, and awesome rock band from Montreal. My piratical playiest includes all albums they have currently released. (Many of you reading this have actually heard Arcade Fire, you may not know it though. They wrote the music used in the Hunger Games movie, and wrote/performed Abrahams' Daughter, the first song used during the credits to that movie.)

I also enjoy listening; to Revelstoke Dam by Brasstronaught, Anything music performed by Great Big Sea (from Newfoundland), or The Chieftains (Anne and Sam have probably heard of that particlular Irish group)

I love Timber Timbre's music for any creepy parts/aread of Pirates. He has a real talent for mixing really lovely light melodies, with some nice creepy lyrics (although nothing too bad).

thank you CDWinter I checked out the bands you mentioned. I really enjoyed the Arcade fire and Yukon Blond and will give these more listens to. So a big Yar!! for introducing me to new music
If you like the chieftains you might also like SJ Tucker she plays Celtic music with a literacy and mythological twist. She also has a song all about Wendy accepting Captain Hooks offer and turning pirate I think you would enjoy.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
jeffreyskullpants on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
thank you CDWinter I checked out the bands you mentioned. I really enjoyed the Arcade fire and Yukon Blond and will give these more listens to. So a big Yar!! for introducing me to new music
If you like the chieftains you might also like SJ Tucker she plays Celtic music with a literacy and mythological twist. She also has a song all about Wendy accepting Captain Hooks offer and turning pirate I think you would enjoy.
That's awesome that you like those groups. Personally, I love introducing music to people, or people to Canadian music. Since you enjoyed Arcade Fire, try Au Bijou. The have a similar sound to Arcade Fire, and despite their name, most of their music is in english.

I'd also recomend Hey Rosetta! especially their song New Goodbye as a first song to listen too. The way it starts out so small and then builds so much is quite something.

Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2011
CdeWinter on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:
That's awesome that you like those groups. Personally, I love introducing music to people, or people to Canadian music. Since you enjoyed Arcade Fire, try Au Bijou. The have a similar sound to Arcade Fire, and despite their name, most of their music is in english.

I'd also recomend Hey Rosetta! especially their song New Goodbye as a first song to listen too. The way it starts out so small and then builds so much is quite something.
I do like Het Rosetta New Goodbye was good but I liked Bandages better : } Not sure if I found the right Au Bijou most of the videos I discovered seem to be other people playing either at or with them, my French is not so good I did take it for 3 yrs in high school but that was 30 years ago Ooops that's showing my years lol.
Anyhow most of what I found said avec Au Bijou so I will look deeper into them. The sounds were good I like music you know people PLAYING an instrument, But will listen to anything with a good beat as long as I can sing along with the corus

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
CdeWinter on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:

Did Great Big Sea happen to make the song, French Perfume? I really love that song, and to make it better, I was watching a slideshow of a pirate from one of my favorite animes while listening to it. ^^

Ah, to answer Emma's initial question (I hope I got it right, I always seem to fumble on what to call people), I like listening to Vocaloid songs. (It's a voice synthesizer from Japan, plus most of the songs are in Japanese.) I also really like listening to (oddly) Greensleeves and Scarborough Fair, and most of the versions I find of those two songs. I also really like Cilla Jane's, Into the Woods, and Taylor Swift's, Safe and Sound.

Oddly enough, whenever I get really nervous during battle (because it's happened to most of us before), I start singing (out loud) I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General from Pirates of Penzance. (Thanks Ratbeard for introducing me to that!) Saying things really fast really does calm me down, it's odd.

Enough of me rambling, and thank you for the tea.

~Quick Pearl

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Usually I hum some of the Cool ranch songs. Like The spider and the bloodbat which I heard bisons sing. It sounds a little war- time, but we're in a war too, aren't we?
Or sometimes I sing the '' I'm an amigo''. That one never get's old .
Or the little Spanish song called Viernes ( as in Friday), that I once came up with. It sounds better when El Toro plays his guitar. And Catbeard likes singing it on Fridays, when we get some fish for our storage on ship.

Community Leader
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:
Oh Lovely I thought it sounded like Tolkien and you proved my memory right. What a wonderful trip down memory lane. Thank you.
Im happy to hear you and your crew enjoy it Chrissy!

I had a blast putting it together.

One of the members of my beta and ongoing gaming crew had a distinct love of buffaloons.
Her incessant crying as we would make them Wahoo, just made us want to pop MORE buffaloons!

I actually must credit that member of my crew (known as Sidri aka Ro) with my starting to make pirate songs/videos for the community. Writing short sing along verses to egg her complaints on was just too much fun. Ironically, she pops more buffaloons in the video than any other pirate!!! hahaha!! (the pirate in the maroon blazer).

I too love the song, and have found myself singing it as I play...

More to come!!! Not stuck in a writers block right now, stuck in a vocal block, just cant get me vocal chords to sound the way I want.. Must be getting old... arrrr!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Quick Pearl on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:
Did Great Big Sea happen to make the song, French Perfume? I really love that song, and to make it better, I was watching a slideshow of a pirate from one of my favorite animes while listening to it. ^^

Ah, to answer Emma's initial question (I hope I got it right, I always seem to fumble on what to call people), I like listening to Vocaloid songs. (It's a voice synthesizer from Japan, plus most of the songs are in Japanese.) I also really like listening to (oddly) Greensleeves and Scarborough Fair, and most of the versions I find of those two songs. I also really like Cilla Jane's, Into the Woods, and Taylor Swift's, Safe and Sound.

Oddly enough, whenever I get really nervous during battle (because it's happened to most of us before), I start singing (out loud) I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General from Pirates of Penzance. (Thanks Ratbeard for introducing me to that!) Saying things really fast really does calm me down, it's odd.

~Quick Pearl
Yes, French Perfume is by Great Big Sea, it's one of their many songs based on traditional Newfoundland Folklore. I'm pretty sure it's on their album Sea of No Cares. I actually created a short spooky story based on that song and the Phantom Ship of Northumberland Strait for a message board party we had during the summer.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:

One of the members of my beta and ongoing gaming crew had a distinct love of buffaloons.
Her incessant crying as we would make them Wahoo, just made us want to pop MORE buffaloons!

I actually must credit that member of my crew (known as Sidri aka Ro) with my starting to make pirate songs/videos for the community. Writing short sing along verses to egg her complaints on was just too much fun. Ironically, she pops more buffaloons in the video than any other pirate!!! hahaha!! (the pirate in the maroon blazer).

More to come!!! Not stuck in a writers block right now, stuck in a vocal block, just cant get me vocal chords to sound the way I want.. Must be getting old... arrrr!
OH thank you so much. How wonderful to get to hear the back story on such a delightful song. You honor me with such fascinating tidbits on how the fun song started and now I have to go watch it again, lol. Once again, thank you for your kindness in sharing your creative process.

Ensign
Jul 01, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:

Hmmm, who might this Sidri/Ro be? Surely not I lol, I would NEVER pop a buffaloon. I am the founder of the Buffaloon Preservation Society. I couldn't bear to hear those poor creatures waHOOOOOOOO!!! For shame Zep, for accusing moi of popping. oh the hideousness of it all! WaHOOOOOOOO!!!! ;)

Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
Well i actually made up a song. I sing it whenever I have to go to Cool Ranch for something (promo quest etc.)
It goes like this:
"The Wild Bunch came down to the Ol' Chirp Place, their eyes wild and full of disgrace. The Magnificent Seven took their place, their hearts full of an unknown hate. There was a shooooooooooooowdown,
down at the Ol' Chirp Place."

I really wish I could sing it because it probally looks kinda weird. But yeah. The tune is based off the song "Deep Red Bells" if any of you know that song. But I usually sing "Frost Shot" by Plentakill which is a parody of "So What" by P!nk. But yeah. I have different songs stuck in my head every week but those are the main ones.
Ciao for now,
Silver Fiona

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
I've already determined that I really don't like to sing, so I've found an alternative to express myself through music. Instead of singing, I'll drum on anything and everything within reach, sometimes using my fingers, other times using my entire hands. I like to drum on different surfaces, like my chair, my thighs, and my desk. Other times, when I'm wearing my boots, I'll tap the heals into the wheels of the office chair and although it makes a higher-pitched sound, it serves as my kick while my hands are my high-hat and snare. Sometimes with my fingers I'll play melody while with my hands I'll play rhythm, and it's really fun to find a combination of the two and play both at once.

I'll drum all sorts of things, anything from the music that I'm listening to as I'm flying by to ones that I know by heart with my headset taken off. I like to listen to a few different genres, dubstep and rock being the two that emerge the most in my songs, though I do enjoy some pop and classical music as well, every once in a while. Coldplay's Major Minus has a melody that I really like to play, Mt Eden's Bat for Lashes has a neat rhythm, and xx, The's Angels I enjoy finding different ways to drum out to during the chorus, as this is a softer, more melancholy song, something that I am not entirely familiar with drumming on a regular basis. I love listening to my own songs as I play the game, because then I learn them by heart and can take it to my electric drumset.

And, other times, I'll turn off my own music and listen to those that KI created.

I particularly enjoy Valencia's skyway music, which I love to drum melody and rhythm to, and there's also the tougher battle music that has a really strong rhythm, something else that I enjoy to play.

So, instead of singing Songs of the Skyway, I'll drum them.

~Elizabeth, level 62 ~

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Quick Pearl on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:

~Quick Pearl
Vocaloid? Ah, I do love the songs. (No matter how much the girls in my class look down upon it, I love songs in different languages!) Top Secret is one of my favorites- a sort of depressing song, yet catchy. Yet I find Bad End Night to be surprisingly entertaining.

I have added four new songs to my 'sailing playlist': Top Secret, 99 Luftballons (German songs are cool), Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood, and lastly, Miss Understood by Sammie. It makes me cry.

Ciao!

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
Highlander Fox of ... on Oct 20, 2013 wrote:
Vocaloid? Ah, I do love the songs. (No matter how much the girls in my class look down upon it, I love songs in different languages!) Top Secret is one of my favorites- a sort of depressing song, yet catchy. Yet I find Bad End Night to be surprisingly entertaining.

I have added four new songs to my 'sailing playlist': Top Secret, 99 Luftballons (German songs are cool), Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood, and lastly, Miss Understood by Sammie. It makes me cry.

Ciao!
Yes! Finally someone who plays Pirate101 who knows what Vocaloid is! Bad End Night is one of my favorites, and I find a lot of the darker songs to be quite fun too. Have you listened to Soleil? Or Electric Angel? I personally like the Kagamine twin version for Electric Angel, and Soleil is kinda sad. And then there's Matryoshka, that I have stuck in my head 24/7. And then I can't help but think of a modernized Mooshu when I listen to Panda Hero. I'm sorry if you haven't heard all these songs yet, but they're all really great! (Don't worry. A lot of people, particularly my parents, look down at me for listening to Vocaloid. I know how you feel!)

Once again, thank you for all the delightful pastries and tea.

~Quick Pearl

Ensign
Oct 10, 2009
I have an entire playlist dedicated to in-game battles. Mostly they're songs from the '80s (hair metal must have strange battle powers), and my favorite three songs are Ratt's Round and Round, Alchemy Hotel's The Iceman Cometh (With Ice), and Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song.

Fearless Seamus Donnely

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Quick Pearl on Oct 22, 2013 wrote:
Yes! Finally someone who plays Pirate101 who knows what Vocaloid is! Bad End Night is one of my favorites, and I find a lot of the darker songs to be quite fun too. Have you listened to Soleil? Or Electric Angel? I personally like the Kagamine twin version for Electric Angel, and Soleil is kinda sad. And then there's Matryoshka, that I have stuck in my head 24/7. And then I can't help but think of a modernized Mooshu when I listen to Panda Hero. I'm sorry if you haven't heard all these songs yet, but they're all really great! (Don't worry. A lot of people, particularly my parents, look down at me for listening to Vocaloid. I know how you feel!)

Once again, thank you for all the delightful pastries and tea.

~Quick Pearl
I don't think you know what I mean by look down on... Being bullied for my tastes in music, books, and everything is not fun.

Adding a few new songs to my playlist.

1. Luminous by ClariS.
2. Decretum/Conturbatio (Madoka Soundtrack)
3. Multiple Korn/Disturbed/Metallica/Motley Crüe songs. (Yea, metal is freaking cool!)
4. Any song by ABBA. (So what about classic pop music? I like me some 70's/80's/90's music!)
5. Time Warp by the Rocky Horror Picture Show (the best song to dance to ever.)

The former two are both Japanese and from the same anime, but 2 is classical and definitely a sad melody. The fact that violins are one of the prior instruments playing during it makes it super sad... (You'd only get it if you watched the anime.)

Ciao!

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
Highlander Fox of ... on Oct 26, 2013 wrote:
I don't think you know what I mean by look down on... Being bullied for my tastes in music, books, and everything is not fun.

1. Luminous by ClariS.
3. Multiple Korn/Disturbed/Metallica/Motley Crüe songs. (Yea, metal is freaking cool!)
4. Any song by ABBA. (So what about classic pop music? I like me some 70's/80's/90's music!)

The former two are both Japanese and from the same anime, but 2 is classical and definitely a sad melody. The fact that violins are one of the prior instruments playing during it makes it super sad... (You'd only get it if you watched the anime.)

Ciao!
I know. I'm bullied by my classmates because of my last name, what type of music, books, and video games I like, and it's just chaos. X_X My parents always get annoyed at my music and then yell at me to turn it off.

I'll have to watch that anime you speak of. I already have a bunch on my waiting list, just have to finish watching Fairy Tail.

Speaking of which, whenever Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard are arguing, I can't help but imagine the Fairy Tail Can-Can playing in the background. Then when I was doing Bonnie Anne's final promotion to Highlander, I couldn't help but think of Lyra's song. And then of course whenever there is an epic battle, I think of Shishi no Hoshi Rei.

Ensign
Nov 22, 2009
I have a song that i sing in Cool Ranch:
Oh give me a home,
where the buffaloon roam
and the deer and the jackalope play.
where seldom is heard
a discouraging word,
and the skies aren't cloudy all day.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
Highlander Fox of ... on Oct 26, 2013 wrote:

1. Luminous by ClariS.

Ciao!
It's been bothering me all day, the post I made this morning. I want to apologize for my ignorance, and if I offended you or hurt any of your feelings, I want to apologize for that too. I'm so sorry for the reply that you're probably not going to see until you see this one! I was being ignorant and defensive. I just want to apologize.

Sorry for getting off topic here, if any of you moderators see this.

~Quick Pearl