Fire Wizards and Swashbuckler Pirates. Too many?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Apr 30, 2011
106
Hello, friends! It's been a while since I've posted on the Message-Boards, but I have a subject for us to discuss. Do you think there are too many Swashbucklers and Fire Wizards? I know they're fantastic classes, but, I'm a little tired of seeing so many.
It's hard to describe but I'm sure you understand the problem, if you look around a bit in public battle areas on Realm: Avery or any other busy realm, you'll find that you see a LOT of Swashbucklers.
It's the same with Fire Wizards.
The Swashbuckler Group acts OK but sometimes they'll show off their moves, which I don't blame them. We all want to show how cool we are.
Fire Wizards, more often than not, if they're the fire wizards who love to remain in the Commons area and seems to wear clothing without stats, well, let's say they usually have an ego.
..
I could of supplied more examples and better reasons, and I'll be honest.
I love the two schools, they're fantastic, the players who want to be them because everyone else, that's not fantastic.
So what do you think? I hope I haven't offended any TRUE Swashbucklers or Fire Wizards.

Oh dear, Jacob's complaining again.
Jacob

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5755
Beautifulmonkey on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Hello, friends! It's been a while since I've posted on the Message-Boards, but I have a subject for us to discuss. Do you think there are too many Swashbucklers and Fire Wizards? I know they're fantastic classes, but, I'm a little tired of seeing so many.
It's hard to describe but I'm sure you understand the problem, if you look around a bit in public battle areas on Realm: Avery or any other busy realm, you'll find that you see a LOT of Swashbucklers.
It's the same with Fire Wizards.
The Swashbuckler Group acts OK but sometimes they'll show off their moves, which I don't blame them. We all want to show how cool we are.
Fire Wizards, more often than not, if they're the fire wizards who love to remain in the Commons area and seems to wear clothing without stats, well, let's say they usually have an ego.
..
I could of supplied more examples and better reasons, and I'll be honest.
I love the two schools, they're fantastic, the players who want to be them because everyone else, that's not fantastic.
So what do you think? I hope I haven't offended any TRUE Swashbucklers or Fire Wizards.

Oh dear, Jacob's complaining again.
Jacob
Not at all offended, Jacob! I believe the reason we see so many Swashbucklers, when you think of old-school pirate movies; the main type of pirate hero was a swashbuckling type. Sort of a stereo-type, yes? As for Wizards mine are Necromancers or Myth school.

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
88
i totally agree, i was a storm wizard and fire wizards are ants all over the game, not that they are annoying, but they do overestimate their moves, swashbucklers on the other hand have every right to overestimate their moves, but there a lot of them
Stormy Blake Hawkins 65
Blake Legendrider, lvl. 100 Diviner (storm wizard)

Petty Officer
Jul 26, 2011
82
I would compare that to storm wizards... But I agree
Their attacking powers are ridiculous and it attracts a lot of people because there really aren't any glaring flaws in swashbucklers
But your point is correct about 35% of people I see are swash, but that's the players decision I guess

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
814
I have to respond to this thread, because my main pirate is a swashbuckler, and has been since the pre-start week when there were very few pirates running about. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the numbers of swashbucklers in the crowded realms, and the majority of them seem to be free to players. I don't want to offend anyone, but I've also noticed that there are a lot of newer swashbucklers, even among moderatly high level pirates that don't seem to know just how to play as a swashbuckler. I agree that many players seem to be picking swashbuckler class simply because they think it's easier or cooler, but without actually putting the time into to learning how the get the most out of the class.

And as an aside, I actually was a fire wizard back in wizard101 as well. Perhaps it's also a personality thing. I've always viewed both swashies and pyros as being the flashier classes.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
740
Beautifulmonkey on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Hello, friends! It's been a while since I've posted on the Message-Boards, but I have a subject for us to discuss. Do you think there are too many Swashbucklers and Fire Wizards? I know they're fantastic classes, but, I'm a little tired of seeing so many.
It's hard to describe but I'm sure you understand the problem, if you look around a bit in public battle areas on Realm: Avery or any other busy realm, you'll find that you see a LOT of Swashbucklers.
It's the same with Fire Wizards.
The Swashbuckler Group acts OK but sometimes they'll show off their moves, which I don't blame them. We all want to show how cool we are.
Fire Wizards, more often than not, if they're the fire wizards who love to remain in the Commons area and seems to wear clothing without stats, well, let's say they usually have an ego.
..
I could of supplied more examples and better reasons, and I'll be honest.
I love the two schools, they're fantastic, the players who want to be them because everyone else, that's not fantastic.
So what do you think? I hope I haven't offended any TRUE Swashbucklers or Fire Wizards.

Oh dear, Jacob's complaining again.
Jacob
I actually see them in terms of storm wizards instead of fire wizards. Swashbucklers and Fire wizards aren't all like that. I love swashbucklers just because I like being able to go invisible for sneak attacks. Don't judge a class in general just because some people like to stretch their ego more then El Toro.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
28
I hope i am not offending any other players but I think your right about the fire wizards. However I tend to stay in a "quite" realm so I don't see many swashbucklers.

Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
962
I thought those you described were the true swashbucklers But let's be honest each class does attract a specific type of player. Also if someone appears to be strong of course others will try to emulate them. Nothing wrong with that.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
Perhaps you are just noticing them so much because they are flashy - which they should be!

You may well be right, though. I think in both games KI has done a nice job of balancing the classes while nonetheless making them distinctly different in how they play. On my accounts I have one of everything (and I still think it was mean of KI to only allow six wizards when there are seven classes). I haven't found any class clearly weaker than the others in Pirate (although my Buccaneer sometimes seems that way, but I think that impression comes from his gear being slightly weaker, but that is probably a "luck of the drop" thing). If I had to pick one class that I think is the strongest, I probably would pick either swashbuckler or privateer.

In Wizard, my fire mage is the one I have played the least - she is in her early 20s. Next is the death mage (mid-30s), and everyone else is in the 60 - 98 range. I don't dislike my fire mage... but she has never drawn me in to binge-playing her.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
262
I agree with you. There are quite a few swashbucklers out there. I speak of this calmly because i am a witch doctor not a swashbuckler so i am not offended. I think 99% of my friends are swashbucklers and 60% of that number are guys that are swashbucklers. Personally I think people should start to choose other classes.

Faithful Tatiana Jackson level 65 witch doctor

Administrator
I loved this info-graph from the November 2013 newsletter (although undoubtedly out of date information at this point)


*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Lieutenant
Apr 30, 2011
106
One-Eyed Jack on May 9, 2014 wrote:
I loved this info-graph from the November 2013 newsletter (although undoubtedly out of date information at this point)

Oh! I remember that post! It's accurate, but times have changed. I'd love to see an updated chart like that on the next Newsletter, Jack!
Jacob

Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
Beautifulmonkey on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Hello, friends! It's been a while since I've posted on the Message-Boards, but I have a subject for us to discuss. Do you think there are too many Swashbucklers and Fire Wizards? I know they're fantastic classes, but, I'm a little tired of seeing so many.
It's hard to describe but I'm sure you understand the problem, if you look around a bit in public battle areas on Realm: Avery or any other busy realm, you'll find that you see a LOT of Swashbucklers.
It's the same with Fire Wizards.
The Swashbuckler Group acts OK but sometimes they'll show off their moves, which I don't blame them. We all want to show how cool we are.
Fire Wizards, more often than not, if they're the fire wizards who love to remain in the Commons area and seems to wear clothing without stats, well, let's say they usually have an ego.
..
I could of supplied more examples and better reasons, and I'll be honest.
I love the two schools, they're fantastic, the players who want to be them because everyone else, that's not fantastic.
So what do you think? I hope I haven't offended any TRUE Swashbucklers or Fire Wizards.

Oh dear, Jacob's complaining again.
Jacob
Its ok bro, it will take a lot more than a simple complaint to heat me up! (but dont try lol) But i agree, at least 60% of my friends are swashy, and their are a load of fire wizards on w101, and i was one of em. lol

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Beautifulmonkey on May 9, 2014 wrote:
Oh! I remember that post! It's accurate, but times have changed. I'd love to see an updated chart like that on the next Newsletter, Jack!
Jacob
Or just one that shows just the classes. Then we can know if these observations are accurate or not.
How 'bout it Madame Vadima? Wanna dust off that crystal ball again?

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
846
Beautifulmonkey on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Hello, friends! It's been a while since I've posted on the Message-Boards, but I have a subject for us to discuss. Do you think there are too many Swashbucklers and Fire Wizards? I know they're fantastic classes, but, I'm a little tired of seeing so many.
It's hard to describe but I'm sure you understand the problem, if you look around a bit in public battle areas on Realm: Avery or any other busy realm, you'll find that you see a LOT of Swashbucklers.
It's the same with Fire Wizards.
The Swashbuckler Group acts OK but sometimes they'll show off their moves, which I don't blame them. We all want to show how cool we are.
Fire Wizards, more often than not, if they're the fire wizards who love to remain in the Commons area and seems to wear clothing without stats, well, let's say they usually have an ego.
..
I could of supplied more examples and better reasons, and I'll be honest.
I love the two schools, they're fantastic, the players who want to be them because everyone else, that's not fantastic.
So what do you think? I hope I haven't offended any TRUE Swashbucklers or Fire Wizards.

Oh dear, Jacob's complaining again.
Jacob
I don't really get it there's nothing wrong with being one really, I was a fire wizard and I wasn't like that, you have to remember there's nothing wrong with being one and some people just like to show off there first clothes because they liked them. From my experience most people want to be a class because
1 they have great stats
2 they can get through the game easy
3 they want to experiment
4 they like there clothes
5 whatever else

I've hung around in the commons allot with my high lvl clothes just to be there and see what's up not to show off and sometimes low lvl cloths because I don't want to seem like that jerk guy who goes with awesome high lvl clothes. But there are some bad people but pls don't label all wizards (or pirates) with one brush, it's not that fair to others who aren't like that, i see allot of people complain on here and on the wizard101 message boards about something basically saying everyone is like that, it's not fair to people like me who are nice and don't show off or agree with the person who is complaining about there class (or school) so next time you complain don't say everyone is like this or almost everyone since that's probably not true (like anyone here has met almost every player day and night. And there are some people that have conditions like anger issues that can't control it so pls don't paint all people with one brush, and also keep in mind it's a busy realm it's almost certain people are going to be there.

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer

Gunner's Mate
Apr 19, 2012
292
Beautifulmonkey on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Hello, friends! It's been a while since I've posted on the Message-Boards, but I have a subject for us to discuss. Do you think there are too many Swashbucklers and Fire Wizards? I know they're fantastic classes, but, I'm a little tired of seeing so many.
It's hard to describe but I'm sure you understand the problem, if you look around a bit in public battle areas on Realm: Avery or any other busy realm, you'll find that you see a LOT of Swashbucklers.
It's the same with Fire Wizards.
The Swashbuckler Group acts OK but sometimes they'll show off their moves, which I don't blame them. We all want to show how cool we are.
Fire Wizards, more often than not, if they're the fire wizards who love to remain in the Commons area and seems to wear clothing without stats, well, let's say they usually have an ego.
..
I could of supplied more examples and better reasons, and I'll be honest.
I love the two schools, they're fantastic, the players who want to be them because everyone else, that's not fantastic.
So what do you think? I hope I haven't offended any TRUE Swashbucklers or Fire Wizards.

Oh dear, Jacob's complaining again.
Jacob
Hmm. I actually see more Privateers than anything. Trends come and go. When players saw that Privateers were well suited for PVP there was a influx of Privateers. I have heard that Swashbucklers will benefit mostly from the coming update so unfortunately for you there will probably be another influx of that class. I have a pirate from each class so I can go stand with the 'cool' class regardless of the current trend. You could do that also if you choose unless you think KI should limit the amount of players who could be a certain class. I really don't think that would work so I guess you'll just have to endure it. Like they say...if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Petty Officer
Jul 28, 2011
64
Beautifulmonkey on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Hello, friends! It's been a while since I've posted on the Message-Boards, but I have a subject for us to discuss. Do you think there are too many Swashbucklers and Fire Wizards? I know they're fantastic classes, but, I'm a little tired of seeing so many.
It's hard to describe but I'm sure you understand the problem, if you look around a bit in public battle areas on Realm: Avery or any other busy realm, you'll find that you see a LOT of Swashbucklers.
It's the same with Fire Wizards.
The Swashbuckler Group acts OK but sometimes they'll show off their moves, which I don't blame them. We all want to show how cool we are.
Fire Wizards, more often than not, if they're the fire wizards who love to remain in the Commons area and seems to wear clothing without stats, well, let's say they usually have an ego.
..
I could of supplied more examples and better reasons, and I'll be honest.
I love the two schools, they're fantastic, the players who want to be them because everyone else, that's not fantastic.
So what do you think? I hope I haven't offended any TRUE Swashbucklers or Fire Wizards.

Oh dear, Jacob's complaining again.
Jacob
Being both classes, i actually understand what you're saying. i didn't choose the 2 because they were supposedly popular, fire was my test result and i chose swashbuckler because i thought it related to myself. in both games, i have seen cases of large crowds in the fire school and swashbuckler hall, especially around updates.

as far as the fire school goes, people can dial the brag down a bit. OR SOMETIMES A LOT. there's the most common one iv'e seen, showing off the efreet spell. and its not so much about the damage anymore, but more about the -90% damage disability it leaves.

swashbucklers are not so different in this case. the efreet for them is debatable between what i like to call "The Rose Set" (assassin's mist, assassin's gloom, assassin's shroud) and "The Slash Set" (Dance of steel, Gambit of steel)

And one common factor between these 2 things, is that they are especially frequent in PVP, where they act more diminuitive and prideful.