An urgent call to balance everything!

1
AuthorMessage
Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
The spar chamber is now a riot hall. People are complaining about absolutely everything and have good reasons to back thier answer. The fighting used is not assassins strikes or mojo storms, but words instead (and no it's not swearing, it's just plain arguing). Already a form of class exclusion has been formed by people. What I mean is one class refuses to fight another because that class is considered OP. To be more specific it is usually unfortunate for privateers since they get this treatment (however other classes also experience this at a decently lesser level). Buccaneers are sometimes considered a joke, which is sad. Yes they have some good assets, but since other classes have the same thing as they do they usually beat bucks. This problem, despite its hugeness, is very minor compared to even a bigger problem. Pay to win, yup that's right! Nausica is your weapon of success, as said by many people. She has been constantly referred to as the devil; a very powerful force. Who needs Bonnie when you got a moving bomb at your disposal! Balance the companions and make everyone equal! In conclusion:

1.) Balance classes
2.) Balance in game companions with pay to win companions

This is an urgent call, before everything turns to absolute madness! This does not always happen, but man it's growing, oh it's growing all right!!

Captain
May 16, 2011
553
Golden Guardian on Feb 13, 2014 wrote:
The spar chamber is now a riot hall. People are complaining about absolutely everything and have good reasons to back thier answer. The fighting used is not assassins strikes or mojo storms, but words instead (and no it's not swearing, it's just plain arguing). Already a form of class exclusion has been formed by people. What I mean is one class refuses to fight another because that class is considered OP. To be more specific it is usually unfortunate for privateers since they get this treatment (however other classes also experience this at a decently lesser level). Buccaneers are sometimes considered a joke, which is sad. Yes they have some good assets, but since other classes have the same thing as they do they usually beat bucks. This problem, despite its hugeness, is very minor compared to even a bigger problem. Pay to win, yup that's right! Nausica is your weapon of success, as said by many people. She has been constantly referred to as the devil; a very powerful force. Who needs Bonnie when you got a moving bomb at your disposal! Balance the companions and make everyone equal! In conclusion:

1.) Balance classes
2.) Balance in game companions with pay to win companions

This is an urgent call, before everything turns to absolute madness! This does not always happen, but man it's growing, oh it's growing all right!!
But you see, that's the problem. Every time KI decides to nerf something, there's always going to be someone to complain. Sure, Nausica is a power plower, but people spent $40 on her. It's only natural that she'd be powerful.

Besides, this is why I don't pvp much. I'm not very competitive, and I certainly don't think anything should be nerfed. I stay away from the pvp chambers, and enjoy the story line, not tire my fingers throwing insults everywhere. So yeah, if you don't want to listen to them, don't bother yourself by going to the spar chamber. Grab a friend and have a friendly pvp match in his/her house.

Cheers!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
These strong companions are here to help us have a strong crew to play the game. Remember the GAME guys? PvP is supposed to be a side thing to do when you aren't playing the game. You want them to revamp the game to make your PvP better? I am sorry, I don't want to take sides but this is getting a bit silly. This is a game guys. If you can't play PvP nicely then perhaps we should just toss it out. All it does is get folks upset at each other and it brings out the bullies in some of the players. If you can't get along without wanting to destroy this great game then maybe we need to think about asking KingsIsle to just take out PvP. It just isn't worth all the hurt feelings and pouting pirates because you can't have it so that it is just what you want so you can win. Let's just enjoy the game that brought us here and stop bashing each other and the game. OK? Please?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Golden Guardian on Feb 13, 2014 wrote:
The spar chamber is now a riot hall. People are complaining about absolutely everything and have good reasons to back thier answer. The fighting used is not assassins strikes or mojo storms, but words instead (and no it's not swearing, it's just plain arguing). Already a form of class exclusion has been formed by people. What I mean is one class refuses to fight another because that class is considered OP. To be more specific it is usually unfortunate for privateers since they get this treatment (however other classes also experience this at a decently lesser level). Buccaneers are sometimes considered a joke, which is sad. Yes they have some good assets, but since other classes have the same thing as they do they usually beat bucks. This problem, despite its hugeness, is very minor compared to even a bigger problem. Pay to win, yup that's right! Nausica is your weapon of success, as said by many people. She has been constantly referred to as the devil; a very powerful force. Who needs Bonnie when you got a moving bomb at your disposal! Balance the companions and make everyone equal! In conclusion:

1.) Balance classes
2.) Balance in game companions with pay to win companions

This is an urgent call, before everything turns to absolute madness! This does not always happen, but man it's growing, oh it's growing all right!!
I would have to say that, although I respect what you are saying, that I have to agree with Chrissy & Thunderchoo on this one. First off, since PvP currently is part of the game & P101, from that stand point alone, I do believe you have a valid point- to a degree. Like Thunderchoo said, if you want PvP to remain enjoyable, try your best to gather friends with positive attitudes to participate in either your house or one of theirs- away from the madness. Thunderchoo also made a good point that, people put out hard earned money to purchase those companions & Kingsisle probably feels they should be rewarded.

Now, do I believe that PvP should be part of the game- no I don't. Because of the very reasons being complained about & the same reasons that Chrissy mentioned. PvP just seems to take away from the enjoyment of the game itself. It seems to turn what was meant to be (& should be) a fun, family oriented game with simply brilliant design, storyline, dialogue & gameplay- into more of a competition & source of bragging rights. I know that not everyone who engages in PvP is of the bragging, rude or overly-competitive type, but the player vs. player atmosphere & aspects of PvP will always breed this negative kind of behavior at some point & to some degree.

It's a matter human nature, many people do not like to lose & when they do they get upset & have negative things to say from these upset feelings. And many people like to win so much that they have to rub it in & will add negative comments from their feelings of superiority. Combining these types of personalities only leads to exactly the scenarios you are voicing your opinion about. This negative competition will be there regardless of who bought which companions, who 'paid' to win, & who has the unfair advantage. Some people are much better at strategy & PvP and some don't have it 'figured out', so there will always be an air of superiority & inferiority amongst the participants- which will trigger negative reactions & responses.

The only ways to prevent it altogether is, sadly to some, to get rid of PvP or keep PvP and Kingsisle do away with player chatting and communications. Now, losing chat & friendly communication with my pirate friends would truly be sad & that is something I would agree that none of us want. When players can interact verbally & directly to each other amidst competition with each other, there will always be some form of confrontation & displays or feelings of superiority/inferiority.

To me, if PvP continues to be a source of negativity than that would be what needs to be removed, so the wonderful aspects of the game- like the storyline, dialogue & amazing creativity can continue to shine and be the focal point like it deserves to be. But from a marketing standpoint, I don't personally believe that Kingsisle will remove PvP because it brings in more funds for them. Players will want to gain that edge & will be willing to pay if the option is there.

Just my 2 cents though.

Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
Thunder Hawk on Feb 13, 2014 wrote:
But you see, that's the problem. Every time KI decides to nerf something, there's always going to be someone to complain. Sure, Nausica is a power plower, but people spent $40 on her. It's only natural that she'd be powerful.

Besides, this is why I don't pvp much. I'm not very competitive, and I certainly don't think anything should be nerfed. I stay away from the pvp chambers, and enjoy the story line, not tire my fingers throwing insults everywhere. So yeah, if you don't want to listen to them, don't bother yourself by going to the spar chamber. Grab a friend and have a friendly pvp match in his/her house.

Cheers!
You are right, PvP is sure not too fun anymore unless you play fair with those very nice players, who are usually your friends. I enjoyed PvP because I thought it would be strategy based only, but right now its downright cheap and extremely annoying.

A tale of strategy:
It was this game that got me into PvP. I was with my legenedady friend Tasha (who is a player currently taking a break for the new world), and she possesses max levels of all classes! Anyway it was 2v2, and the other team were buffing around 5 juju's per pirate and stuff. We played the waiting game and let them buff to thier hearts content. When they had the desire to move, Tasha (who was in her class) laid bombs and traps all over the place! Thier buffs ran out eventually due to this, and we buffed now and took the advantage. Now they were still strong, and in the golden days of the Zeena, Bonnie and the Toro trio, a very dangerous eagle archer walked up to us. So Tasha, seeing zeena was near a bomb, decided to use the knockback effect of tempest of torpedoes, sending the oppositions zeena exploding on a mine field! You have to admit, this is great strategy and enjoyable PvP right?

A tale of cheapness:
Get Nausica, the perfect killing machine with multiple centaur charges, critical spell cards and 6 epics! Then just giver her a spirit shield and 2 valours fort, and send her killing everything! No strategty required! Always a guaranteed win! Also you are right, the bundle itself is $40, nausica herself is probably 41 of that 40 in most players eyes.

I really liked the good old days of PvP, but I may leave the brawlin hall for good soon. KI better make it balanced before tournaments pop up. I dont want to be in same situation of W101 PvP.

Ensign
Jul 21, 2013
40
Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
157
No, there is swearing. People are getting in swear words by putting different words together. I am bothered by how many different bad words they can put in. I haven't reported them, because my text chat sometimes doesn't pop up after I whisper to a non-text chat friend. I will report the next person that 'fake-swears', and I hope some words will be taken out.

Ensign
Apr 05, 2010
9
I disagree with any character being nerfed cause of their strength, basically doing this is taking away personal traits of a class that give them power, in pvp or out of pvp. pvp isnt essential to gameplay and classes are meant to outmatch eachother in certain ways, any class can win against any class, so if you lose to a certain class much dont pvp it solves your problems as well as kingsisle's constant complaints

Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 14, 2014 wrote:
I would have to say that, although I respect what you are saying, that I have to agree with Chrissy & Thunderchoo on this one. First off, since PvP currently is part of the game & P101, from that stand point alone, I do believe you have a valid point- to a degree. Like Thunderchoo said, if you want PvP to remain enjoyable, try your best to gather friends with positive attitudes to participate in either your house or one of theirs- away from the madness. Thunderchoo also made a good point that, people put out hard earned money to purchase those companions & Kingsisle probably feels they should be rewarded.

Now, do I believe that PvP should be part of the game- no I don't. Because of the very reasons being complained about & the same reasons that Chrissy mentioned. PvP just seems to take away from the enjoyment of the game itself. It seems to turn what was meant to be (& should be) a fun, family oriented game with simply brilliant design, storyline, dialogue & gameplay- into more of a competition & source of bragging rights. I know that not everyone who engages in PvP is of the bragging, rude or overly-competitive type, but the player vs. player atmosphere & aspects of PvP will always breed this negative kind of behavior at some point & to some degree.

It's a matter human nature, many people do not like to lose & when they do they get upset & have negative things to say from these upset feelings. And many people like to win so much that they have to rub it in & will add negative comments from their feelings of superiority. Combining these types of personalities only leads to exactly the scenarios you are voicing your opinion about. This negative competition will be there regardless of who bought which companions, who 'paid' to win, & who has the unfair advantage. Some people are much better at strategy & PvP and some don't have it 'figured out', so there will always be an air of superiority & inferiority amongst the participants- which will trigger negative reactions & responses.

The only ways to prevent it altogether is, sadly to some, to get rid of PvP or keep PvP and Kingsisle do away with player chatting and communications. Now, losing chat & friendly communication with my pirate friends would truly be sad & that is something I would agree that none of us want. When players can interact verbally & directly to each other amidst competition with each other, there will always be some form of confrontation & displays or feelings of superiority/inferiority.

To me, if PvP continues to be a source of negativity than that would be what needs to be removed, so the wonderful aspects of the game- like the storyline, dialogue & amazing creativity can continue to shine and be the focal point like it deserves to be. But from a marketing standpoint, I don't personally believe that Kingsisle will remove PvP because it brings in more funds for them. Players will want to gain that edge & will be willing to pay if the option is there.

Just my 2 cents though.
This maybe wrong, but "paying for stuff" may not just give a big advantage in PvP, but also in the future a possible advantage against the computer. Many players in Wizard have said that after Celestia, the computer enemies could only be countered by paying methods and such, which is going to be a massive blow on the game on this game as a whole too. Your class spells could be nerfed, and many sad stuff may happen. That is why I seek balance before chaos happens.

PvP is like a microcosm (did I say it right, and for those who don't know it is like a smaller version of a big world) of the rest of the game, and I hope while you see it as annoying and rude, it is very helpful in deteremning the overall balance for everyone. It shows advantages players have in the arena, but also in the real world. PvP is a mini map of the much bigger game itself. It is also a very accurate map, and right now it contains dangerous paths. So yes, the storyline could be massively affected too, and Non PvP players may have to feel the fire soon... Imagine Nausica being your only hope against the black entity of Darkmoor? Hopefully you will understand where I am going here...

Removing PvP, whilst I have thought if the idea many times before, would create a mad riot. Perhaps Beta PvP should be there or something, but now it is too late. Removing chat in PvP is a good idea, but it may increase gossip out of the arena, but when I think of it, opponents talking at your face or behind your back is equally bad.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Golden Guardian on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
This maybe wrong, but "paying for stuff" may not just give a big advantage in PvP, but also in the future a possible advantage against the computer. Many players in Wizard have said that after Celestia, the computer enemies could only be countered by paying methods and such, which is going to be a massive blow on the game on this game as a whole too. Your class spells could be nerfed, and many sad stuff may happen. That is why I seek balance before chaos happens.

PvP is like a microcosm (did I say it right, and for those who don't know it is like a smaller version of a big world) of the rest of the game, and I hope while you see it as annoying and rude, it is very helpful in deteremning the overall balance for everyone. It shows advantages players have in the arena, but also in the real world. PvP is a mini map of the much bigger game itself. It is also a very accurate map, and right now it contains dangerous paths. So yes, the storyline could be massively affected too, and Non PvP players may have to feel the fire soon... Imagine Nausica being your only hope against the black entity of Darkmoor? Hopefully you will understand where I am going here...

Removing PvP, whilst I have thought if the idea many times before, would create a mad riot. Perhaps Beta PvP should be there or something, but now it is too late. Removing chat in PvP is a good idea, but it may increase gossip out of the arena, but when I think of it, opponents talking at your face or behind your back is equally bad.
I do hear and totally respect what you are saying. I get where you are coming from as well, I just don't think that PvP is a necessary, vital component of the game. In my opinion it is more of an add on to give players additional means of social interaction. Sure it can be used to try out new strategies and learn various aspects of the game and for those reasons, it can be valuable.

I do, respectfully disagree that paying for stuff will have a greater impact on future gameplay against the computer, and this is just an opinion of mine. Kingsisle depends on the loyalty of the people who play the game. A vast many of those loyal players are children and younger individuals, so I truly do not see KI 'forcing' those young players to have to purchase stuff in order to have success in the game. To me that would be disastrous for KI. The younger audience makes up so much of P101's gaming base that if the game became too difficult, without having to purchase success, there would be a lot of disgruntled players for KI to have to answer to. I would imagine that the percentage of players who do not purchase bundles with 'uber companions' is far greater than the percentage that do purchase them. In the future, I do not believe KI will make it so incredibly difficult to have success that they would force those that provide them a source of employment to have to spend even more money to even progress in the game. I believe that would be detrimental to KI's image and would be something they would not invite.

In my opinion, the 'uber' companions are there for purchasing purely for providing an edge in PvP and adding an extra option for storyline gameplay for those that can afford them- in addition to giving them a boost in the game. They are in no way needed to have success in the game. The game can be easy enough without purchasing these bundles with the companions. And I don't believe KI would make you have to purchase them to progress in the storyline. I say can be easy because KI has found a balance in gameplay that makes you have to learn how to play the game in order for it to become less challenging- you have to work at it to figure it out and clearly you don't have to participate in PvP at all in order to do this or have success. The game can still be extremely challenging to those children, younger players and players that have not grasped battle strategies. To 'crank' up the difficulty for those people (who probably make up the majority of the P101 population) would not be fair at all. And to have to purchase a bundle or companion to be able to successfully play the game, would in my opinion be beyond the realm of what is fair- and I don't believe that even in the future, this is something KI would want.

So many of us already shell out a whopping amount of money to play the game and to be forced to purchase bundles to progress would be discouraging. You can have Pirate101 without PvP, you can't have PvP without Pirate101.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Golden Guardian on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
This maybe wrong, but "paying for stuff" may not just give a big advantage in PvP, but also in the future a possible advantage against the computer. Many players in Wizard have said that after Celestia, the computer enemies could only be countered by paying methods and such, which is going to be a massive blow on the game on this game as a whole too. Your class spells could be nerfed, and many sad stuff may happen. That is why I seek balance before chaos happens.

PvP is like a microcosm (did I say it right, and for those who don't know it is like a smaller version of a big world) of the rest of the game, and I hope while you see it as annoying and rude, it is very helpful in deteremning the overall balance for everyone. It shows advantages players have in the arena, but also in the real world. PvP is a mini map of the much bigger game itself. It is also a very accurate map, and right now it contains dangerous paths. So yes, the storyline could be massively affected too, and Non PvP players may have to feel the fire soon... Imagine Nausica being your only hope against the black entity of Darkmoor? Hopefully you will understand where I am going here...

Removing PvP, whilst I have thought if the idea many times before, would create a mad riot. Perhaps Beta PvP should be there or something, but now it is too late. Removing chat in PvP is a good idea, but it may increase gossip out of the arena, but when I think of it, opponents talking at your face or behind your back is equally bad.
I forgot to add that while I respect your view 100%, I do disagree a bit about what happens in PvP accurately portraying what happens in the storyline gameplay. All I hear from many other PvP players is how buccaneers are horrible in PvP and that they don't stand a chance against the other classes. If what you say about how PvP is an accurate gauge of storyline gameplay, then this would translate to buccaneers being equally horrible in the game. But it doesn't at all. My max level Buccaneer has only been defeated twice in the main quest and both times were early in Cool Ranch (scorpions and bumbaloons ) before I properly learned how to play the game. Since then my buccaneer has not come close to losing a battle or more than 1 companion in battle- and that is primarily using buccaneer companions. If what you state is true about PvP accurately mapping what happens in the game, then I should be having a difficult time in the game and it should be quite a struggle. Early on I have had more troubles keeping my pirate alive with my swashbuckler than with my buccaneer pirate, yet in PvP swashbucklers are supposed to be clearly superior to buccs. In battles with my bucc, the majority of companions I lose happen to be swashbucklers, while the buccaneer companions hold up rather well- and yes this is maxing agility, dodge, accuracy and giving multiple ripostes to my swashbucklers. The truth of the matter is that if those dodges don't kick in, the swashbucklers don't last long in battle.

I am no way trying to boast brag or say which class is better, I am merely providing a valid argument that PvP in no way accurately portrays what happens in the game. Sure you can try out many different tactics and implement in the game, but let's face it NPC (PvE) opponents are not the same as Player opponents.

Any class can take full advantage against the other class as long as you train them properly and take care to fully grasp their strengths and not expose their weaknesses. You don't need PvP for this at all. If PvP was a true depiction of what happens in the game, than my buccaneer would be struggling mightily. As far as storyline gameplay and questing goes, learning in game strategies and battle tactics is all you need to have success. Anything from PvP is just an added bonus but often will not translate into the battles against NPC enemies. Even the NPC bosses are not going to have 20-30 powers, like a player opponent would have in PvP and the other enemies are not going to have the same skill sets and advantageous uses as another players companions. To me, storyline gameplay and PvP are two completely different beasts. In my opinion, nerfing, clearly would only have bearing in the PvP realm and environment.

I hope you see that I am not trying to argue or dismiss your opinions. These are simply my opinions and as always I value anything you have to offer. Your thoughts bring about so many valuable discussions and get other brains working. So thank you for this.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Golden Guardian on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
This maybe wrong, but "paying for stuff" may not just give a big advantage in PvP, but also in the future a possible advantage against the computer. Many players in Wizard have said that after Celestia, the computer enemies could only be countered by paying methods and such, which is going to be a massive blow on the game on this game as a whole too. Your class spells could be nerfed, and many sad stuff may happen. That is why I seek balance before chaos happens.

PvP is like a microcosm (did I say it right, and for those who don't know it is like a smaller version of a big world) of the rest of the game, and I hope while you see it as annoying and rude, it is very helpful in deteremning the overall balance for everyone. It shows advantages players have in the arena, but also in the real world. PvP is a mini map of the much bigger game itself. It is also a very accurate map, and right now it contains dangerous paths. So yes, the storyline could be massively affected too, and Non PvP players may have to feel the fire soon... Imagine Nausica being your only hope against the black entity of Darkmoor? Hopefully you will understand where I am going here...

Removing PvP, whilst I have thought if the idea many times before, would create a mad riot. Perhaps Beta PvP should be there or something, but now it is too late. Removing chat in PvP is a good idea, but it may increase gossip out of the arena, but when I think of it, opponents talking at your face or behind your back is equally bad.
Good points and well thought out. I hadn't thought of PvP as a microcosm before. It that is truly accurate then there could be issues. But I really don't think that any nurfing will solve things. We need all the help we can get be it strength or strategy to progress forward in the game.

Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
Golden Guardian on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
This maybe wrong, but "paying for stuff" may not just give a big advantage in PvP, but also in the future a possible advantage against the computer. Many players in Wizard have said that after Celestia, the computer enemies could only be countered by paying methods and such, which is going to be a massive blow on the game on this game as a whole too. Your class spells could be nerfed, and many sad stuff may happen. That is why I seek balance before chaos happens.

PvP is like a microcosm (did I say it right, and for those who don't know it is like a smaller version of a big world) of the rest of the game, and I hope while you see it as annoying and rude, it is very helpful in deteremning the overall balance for everyone. It shows advantages players have in the arena, but also in the real world. PvP is a mini map of the much bigger game itself. It is also a very accurate map, and right now it contains dangerous paths. So yes, the storyline could be massively affected too, and Non PvP players may have to feel the fire soon... Imagine Nausica being your only hope against the black entity of Darkmoor? Hopefully you will understand where I am going here...

Removing PvP, whilst I have thought if the idea many times before, would create a mad riot. Perhaps Beta PvP should be there or something, but now it is too late. Removing chat in PvP is a good idea, but it may increase gossip out of the arena, but when I think of it, opponents talking at your face or behind your back is equally bad.
A note on the PvP being a Microcosm of the Rest of P101:
Hey, I think some of you may have posted this and corrected me, and if you have sorry but I wrote this message before your message was published. I would like to readress my point of PvP being a microcosm of the real world...

As of now, the current game (Skull Island-Aquila) can be done with medium difficulty, however there is a chance that in the future, we will expereince tremendoulsy hard computer OP enemies, which could however be countered by crown gear or paid companions.

Celestia and beyond in W101 is my reason for stating this. If the P101 storyline and gameplay could still be done with the same level of difficulty in the future as we have now, then the balance issue is not something to really worry about in PvE... however PvP will still be a sad and angry tale...

If KI are really considering a paying option for players (which I dont 100% totally reccomend), I would say the game should be playable and easy as it is now even if you dont purchase companions or gears with real money. If it is going to be pay to win, then:
-PvE will always be easy WITHOUT paying
-PvP should be money based

However if both are money based, then my statement of PvP being a microcosm of the bigger game is valid. As of now it is not accurate.

That way those who PvE (like you Valkoor, Chrissy and Thunderchoo), wont be bothered too much.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
I totally agree. I came to pirate101 looking for a break from wizard101's prejudice in pvp. Pirate101 was really fun when i played in september of 2013. Every class (yes even bucaneers with decent gear) was equal in pvp, and it was probably the best mmorpg i've ever played.
Then they introduced nausica. I believe she's completely broken the game. Musketeers with quick draw 2 are at high disadvantages to her, and she's completely unstoppable with a fort and spirit shield on her. The gear was also overpowering for muskets and swash. Swashes with the gear have more armor then buccaneers and just a little less resist than witchdoctors.
And now there's the mojo monkey companion. Not many people have him yet, but i know a privateer who uses him and it's plain overpowered. Reckless Frenzy totally owns, and with ranged classes unable to find some kind of reduce accuracy they can't defend themselves against it. Don't even get me started on the gear, with crazy stats and arguably the best cards in the game.
When i was on wizard101's forums i was quite upset when people called KingsIsle "CrownsIsle" but now i almosts understand what they mean.
If the next update doesn't change these things, this game will become completely "Pay to win".
And to the people who said "well it's 40 dollars" That's no excuse. Since i live in the uk, the only way i can get this bundle is with more expensive prices on E-Bay. And if you think that's nothing, i'm talking about 72 Dollars. An increase of almost 100%!
And what if people don't have the money? The average player buys a membership and gets to 65 just before it ends, with a day or two to farm for decent gear, doesn't buy all the bundles to get a chance at winning in pvp.

"Just My 2 Cents" well at least that's affordable .

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 27

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2012
80
I think the ideas put forth in this thread are very interesting. Though there are times i have felt slighted by OP companions bought by crowns or prepaid cards, mainly nausica, I am startled to see the increase of hostility in the Spar Chamber. During this interim between game updates more and more members are getting into the PvP atmosphere. The increase of improvised swear words is really bothering me as well. I have seen higher level players being mean to lower level players and telling them to leave because they are too weak to play. Whenever I play PvP i usually end up losing because even though i am a level 65 i'm a musketeer and they dont always do so hot in PvP, when this happens i have also seen an increase in gloating by the winners. The issue of paid for items and companions being OP may be a problem, but i think this isn't the real issue in PvP its the attitude put into winning and losing.

Petty Officer
Apr 15, 2010
83
I'm tired of pvp complaints know Mr nice pirate i'm going to defend my class. WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING NERF PRIVATEERS?!!?!?! you know? i fell into this trap again this is my life wizard all over again people saying nerf this nerf that. I GAURENTE once ranked pvp comes out my Bonnie is gonna get nerfed it'll be its not fair kai's Bonnie Anne burst fired three times over watched and true gritted my (insert companion here)!
get rid of valor's armor the absorb is to annoying!
Ban argos not everyone gets him so let call him overpowered
people critical to much (healing pets in wizard?)
my pet didnt join but my enemies pets did ban em'
privateers need to stop healing

now i could add like ten more complaints but you know what? better idea get rid of pvp look at the topic the spar chamber has turned into a riot hall? swearing? yelling? hurt feelings? why keep it? its the source of fights, quitting, and rage posts on the message boards (this post might be considered and rage post but hey yolo!) why keep it?

Kai Sawkins

stay gold

Captain
May 16, 2011
553
Golden Guardian on Feb 16, 2014 wrote:
A note on the PvP being a Microcosm of the Rest of P101:
Hey, I think some of you may have posted this and corrected me, and if you have sorry but I wrote this message before your message was published. I would like to readress my point of PvP being a microcosm of the real world...

As of now, the current game (Skull Island-Aquila) can be done with medium difficulty, however there is a chance that in the future, we will expereince tremendoulsy hard computer OP enemies, which could however be countered by crown gear or paid companions.

Celestia and beyond in W101 is my reason for stating this. If the P101 storyline and gameplay could still be done with the same level of difficulty in the future as we have now, then the balance issue is not something to really worry about in PvE... however PvP will still be a sad and angry tale...

If KI are really considering a paying option for players (which I dont 100% totally reccomend), I would say the game should be playable and easy as it is now even if you dont purchase companions or gears with real money. If it is going to be pay to win, then:
-PvE will always be easy WITHOUT paying
-PvP should be money based

However if both are money based, then my statement of PvP being a microcosm of the bigger game is valid. As of now it is not accurate.

That way those who PvE (like you Valkoor, Chrissy and Thunderchoo), wont be bothered too much.
.........I guess you're right on that.........

(And my message board name is ThunderCHU, NOT ThunderCHOO!)

To be honest, my only major challenges playing Pirate101 were:

~Rooke(epic fight by the way)

~Bishop(mostly because my only character who has access to that dungeon is my Witchdoctor)

~Chumba Wumba(because I was still working out Pirate101's game play mechanics)

~Minotaur(also pretty epic)

I really hope for a even bigger challenge. That would definitely make my piratin' day. Although...... If I let El Toro or Hawkules near such a challenge..... And they dominate it........... Uh-oh!
~

"The flow of time is always cruel... It speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..." ~Sheik

Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
I forgot to add that while I respect your view 100%, I do disagree a bit about what happens in PvP accurately portraying what happens in the storyline gameplay. All I hear from many other PvP players is how buccaneers are horrible in PvP and that they don't stand a chance against the other classes. If what you say about how PvP is an accurate gauge of storyline gameplay, then this would translate to buccaneers being equally horrible in the game. But it doesn't at all. My max level Buccaneer has only been defeated twice in the main quest and both times were early in Cool Ranch (scorpions and bumbaloons ) before I properly learned how to play the game. Since then my buccaneer has not come close to losing a battle or more than 1 companion in battle- and that is primarily using buccaneer companions. If what you state is true about PvP accurately mapping what happens in the game, then I should be having a difficult time in the game and it should be quite a struggle. Early on I have had more troubles keeping my pirate alive with my swashbuckler than with my buccaneer pirate, yet in PvP swashbucklers are supposed to be clearly superior to buccs. In battles with my bucc, the majority of companions I lose happen to be swashbucklers, while the buccaneer companions hold up rather well- and yes this is maxing agility, dodge, accuracy and giving multiple ripostes to my swashbucklers. The truth of the matter is that if those dodges don't kick in, the swashbucklers don't last long in battle.

I am no way trying to boast brag or say which class is better, I am merely providing a valid argument that PvP in no way accurately portrays what happens in the game. Sure you can try out many different tactics and implement in the game, but let's face it NPC (PvE) opponents are not the same as Player opponents.

Any class can take full advantage against the other class as long as you train them properly and take care to fully grasp their strengths and not expose their weaknesses. You don't need PvP for this at all. If PvP was a true depiction of what happens in the game, than my buccaneer would be struggling mightily. As far as storyline gameplay and questing goes, learning in game strategies and battle tactics is all you need to have success. Anything from PvP is just an added bonus but often will not translate into the battles against NPC enemies. Even the NPC bosses are not going to have 20-30 powers, like a player opponent would have in PvP and the other enemies are not going to have the same skill sets and advantageous uses as another players companions. To me, storyline gameplay and PvP are two completely different beasts. In my opinion, nerfing, clearly would only have bearing in the PvP realm and environment.

I hope you see that I am not trying to argue or dismiss your opinions. These are simply my opinions and as always I value anything you have to offer. Your thoughts bring about so many valuable discussions and get other brains working. So thank you for this.
I completely agree with you, but I was trying to explain my point as seen in the future, not the present. I should have rather said PvP COULD be a map of the real world, rather than IS a map of the real world. The main reason for saying this is that Celestia in W101 was when players stated that paying for gear and such was the solution to win. However even in current terms, the statement that PvP is like a map of the real world does possess some truth.

Similiarities:
-Arguably stronger classes could find the rest of the game easier than arguably weaker classes, despite it currently containing fair difficulty for all classes. So for example, the game is easy for all classes, however Class A may find it easier than Class B or C or D.
-So how do we know if Class A finds it easier than Class B? The answer is that Class A beats Class B or C or D in PvP more.
-The same can be said for companions. Say if one class has unit A and the other Unit B.
-Unit A is supposedly stronger than unit B, and it can be based on the fact that those who possess unit A will beat those with Unit B more.

Your statement of bucks are strong, despite them being considered weak, thus making the 'map' wrong:
Once you have done some PvP however, you will find the statement "buccaneers are horrible in PvP" are only used by the amateur players who PvP, who presume Bucks are easy to kill. Bucks are deadly, however we arguably have certain OP advantages over them, which may make some players feel superior whether it be in a selfish or observational way.

Bucks have debuffs. Bucks can stack a lot of protections. Bucks are musketeer killers and easily destroy low dodge musketeer companions with reckless frezny. So since bucks can possess deadly qualities in the field, they won't suffer in the real world, making my map statement of PvP as a depiction of the real world slightly more valid. If you ever meet a buccaneer named Jean Walker, he is a prime example of a buccaneer who kills a lot of classes. Bucks can do well in PvP, and therefore in the real world too.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
I forgot to add that while I respect your view 100%, I do disagree a bit about what happens in PvP accurately portraying what happens in the storyline gameplay. All I hear from many other PvP players is how buccaneers are horrible in PvP and that they don't stand a chance against the other classes. If what you say about how PvP is an accurate gauge of storyline gameplay, then this would translate to buccaneers being equally horrible in the game. But it doesn't at all. My max level Buccaneer has only been defeated twice in the main quest and both times were early in Cool Ranch (scorpions and bumbaloons ) before I properly learned how to play the game. Since then my buccaneer has not come close to losing a battle or more than 1 companion in battle- and that is primarily using buccaneer companions. If what you state is true about PvP accurately mapping what happens in the game, then I should be having a difficult time in the game and it should be quite a struggle. Early on I have had more troubles keeping my pirate alive with my swashbuckler than with my buccaneer pirate, yet in PvP swashbucklers are supposed to be clearly superior to buccs. In battles with my bucc, the majority of companions I lose happen to be swashbucklers, while the buccaneer companions hold up rather well- and yes this is maxing agility, dodge, accuracy and giving multiple ripostes to my swashbucklers. The truth of the matter is that if those dodges don't kick in, the swashbucklers don't last long in battle.

I am no way trying to boast brag or say which class is better, I am merely providing a valid argument that PvP in no way accurately portrays what happens in the game. Sure you can try out many different tactics and implement in the game, but let's face it NPC (PvE) opponents are not the same as Player opponents.

Any class can take full advantage against the other class as long as you train them properly and take care to fully grasp their strengths and not expose their weaknesses. You don't need PvP for this at all. If PvP was a true depiction of what happens in the game, than my buccaneer would be struggling mightily. As far as storyline gameplay and questing goes, learning in game strategies and battle tactics is all you need to have success. Anything from PvP is just an added bonus but often will not translate into the battles against NPC enemies. Even the NPC bosses are not going to have 20-30 powers, like a player opponent would have in PvP and the other enemies are not going to have the same skill sets and advantageous uses as another players companions. To me, storyline gameplay and PvP are two completely different beasts. In my opinion, nerfing, clearly would only have bearing in the PvP realm and environment.

I hope you see that I am not trying to argue or dismiss your opinions. These are simply my opinions and as always I value anything you have to offer. Your thoughts bring about so many valuable discussions and get other brains working. So thank you for this.
Great points. Really thinking this one through brings some nice food for thought.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Golden Guardian on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
I completely agree with you, but I was trying to explain my point as seen in the future, not the present. I should have rather said PvP COULD be a map of the real world, rather than IS a map of the real world. The main reason for saying this is that Celestia in W101 was when players stated that paying for gear and such was the solution to win. However even in current terms, the statement that PvP is like a map of the real world does possess some truth.

Similiarities:
-Arguably stronger classes could find the rest of the game easier than arguably weaker classes, despite it currently containing fair difficulty for all classes. So for example, the game is easy for all classes, however Class A may find it easier than Class B or C or D.
-So how do we know if Class A finds it easier than Class B? The answer is that Class A beats Class B or C or D in PvP more.
-The same can be said for companions. Say if one class has unit A and the other Unit B.
-Unit A is supposedly stronger than unit B, and it can be based on the fact that those who possess unit A will beat those with Unit B more.

Your statement of bucks are strong, despite them being considered weak, thus making the 'map' wrong:
Once you have done some PvP however, you will find the statement "buccaneers are horrible in PvP" are only used by the amateur players who PvP, who presume Bucks are easy to kill. Bucks are deadly, however we arguably have certain OP advantages over them, which may make some players feel superior whether it be in a selfish or observational way.

Bucks have debuffs. Bucks can stack a lot of protections. Bucks are musketeer killers and easily destroy low dodge musketeer companions with reckless frezny. So since bucks can possess deadly qualities in the field, they won't suffer in the real world, making my map statement of PvP as a depiction of the real world slightly more valid. If you ever meet a buccaneer named Jean Walker, he is a prime example of a buccaneer who kills a lot of classes. Bucks can do well in PvP, and therefore in the real world too.
Once again, I absolutely hear what you are saying and 100% respect where you are going with your ideas and thoughts. I guess my point is more that when playing P101 ,only for storyline gameplay, I honestly don't believe that their is as much of a stronger/weaker class issue as has been presented. For the storyline gameplay, as long as you train your pirate and companions properly, give them gear with the right attribute bonuses and powers and use well thought out strategies (based on storyline gameplay)- then it doesn't matter what class you are playing as, they can all be easy without a level or degree of easiness coming into play.

I personally don't feel that buccs are inferior or horrible in PvP, it is just what I have read in other forums/threads by other class pirates. I have done PvP, maybe 8-10 times- 2 x against , 1 x against , 1 x against and the remaining times against s. They were all maxed and the only PvP match I lost was against a when I was a level 57 and they were a level 65. I honestly feel that victory is determined more by employing proper strategies, changing equipped gear to fit the fight, and rearranging powers based on the opponent and choosing the right companions for who you are fighting against. It seems that most people don't want to go through the trouble of carrying around 3 or 4 sets of gear with different boosts and/or powers, switching the gear based on the opponent before every battle, and rearranging powers to better expose and counter the enemy in front of them. It is often overlooked but those things can help tremendously and often determine victory or defeat.

Non paid for companions aside, to me PvP success is less about the classes and more about using all of the above nuances of the game properly. But to be fair, I have not had a lot of experience in PvP (and don't desire it for that matter) so I may not be getting the big picture. I am just referring to storyline gameplay. For me personally, it has not mattered which companions have shown up in battle (besides the oddball, 20-30 levels lower than pirate companion) as long as I took the proper measures to use whichever ones showed up properly and take full advantage of their talents and powers. Even in Aquila, almost all of the battles can be one with just your pirate, your first mate (provided they are at your pirate's level) and some random companion to 'eat up attacks and enemy epic talents'- plus deal a little damage of their own. This is mostly true even when Aquilan battles are 3 vs. 4 or 5. It is more about the gear, powers, talents and tactics than about the classes.

(continued...)

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Golden Guardian on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
I completely agree with you, but I was trying to explain my point as seen in the future, not the present. I should have rather said PvP COULD be a map of the real world, rather than IS a map of the real world. The main reason for saying this is that Celestia in W101 was when players stated that paying for gear and such was the solution to win. However even in current terms, the statement that PvP is like a map of the real world does possess some truth.

Similiarities:
-Arguably stronger classes could find the rest of the game easier than arguably weaker classes, despite it currently containing fair difficulty for all classes. So for example, the game is easy for all classes, however Class A may find it easier than Class B or C or D.
-So how do we know if Class A finds it easier than Class B? The answer is that Class A beats Class B or C or D in PvP more.
-The same can be said for companions. Say if one class has unit A and the other Unit B.
-Unit A is supposedly stronger than unit B, and it can be based on the fact that those who possess unit A will beat those with Unit B more.

Your statement of bucks are strong, despite them being considered weak, thus making the 'map' wrong:
Once you have done some PvP however, you will find the statement "buccaneers are horrible in PvP" are only used by the amateur players who PvP, who presume Bucks are easy to kill. Bucks are deadly, however we arguably have certain OP advantages over them, which may make some players feel superior whether it be in a selfish or observational way.

Bucks have debuffs. Bucks can stack a lot of protections. Bucks are musketeer killers and easily destroy low dodge musketeer companions with reckless frezny. So since bucks can possess deadly qualities in the field, they won't suffer in the real world, making my map statement of PvP as a depiction of the real world slightly more valid. If you ever meet a buccaneer named Jean Walker, he is a prime example of a buccaneer who kills a lot of classes. Bucks can do well in PvP, and therefore in the real world too.
(...from continued)

If someone has a bought companion and use them in the storyline, then to me, great for them if they could afford it and who am I to say they can't spend there money on what makes them happy. And currently it has no bearing or effect on my gameplay. The storyline and side companions are absolutely more than adequate. If someone (Cret92) can complete the current storyline without ever using any companion training points, than we have a super loooooooong way to go before any talk of having to by 'uber' companions just for storyline success comes into play. I don't foresee there ever being a time where you have to be forced into buying a bundle or companion in order to have success and progress in the story, providing you learn how to play the game and take advantage of the tools Kingsisle has given to us- without paid for gear or companions.

I say just enjoy the game (storyline) as it is presented and if PvP becomes too much of a negative (for whatever reasons) than just get back to the fun of the game. Not speaking on your behalf, I feel that the anger and frustration at the bought companions is only brought on by diehard PvPers who just don't like losing, especially to those that purchased bundles and so called 'bought a cheap victory'. The only complaints and arguments that I have seen about Nausica and other bought companions have come from those that are losing to them in PvP. The people who have them and don't PvP have nothing but great things to say. But clearly they are not needed for the game. So I feel that all of this is more about not wanting or liking losing in PvP to players with paid for companions and less about the future of the game itself. The only arguments and complaints about current unfairness in P101 centers around PvP and appears to be brought into the fold by those that are losing to those that have the ability and means to purchase bundles and companions.

I just personally think that PvP takes away from the glory and enjoyment of the game itself. If there was no PvP, the complaints and frustrations over bought companions and gear would not even exist. There would be nothing to complain about. You or I would enjoy our gaming experience how we choose and those that purchased the bundles, gear and companions would enjoy theirs how they wished. There would be no competition against each other and feelings of superiority, inferiority and displays of competitive disrespect towards each other would not arise. Just playing the game and helping others out, regardless of money spent, companions bought- the way the game should be played.

(continued...)

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Golden Guardian on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
I completely agree with you, but I was trying to explain my point as seen in the future, not the present. I should have rather said PvP COULD be a map of the real world, rather than IS a map of the real world. The main reason for saying this is that Celestia in W101 was when players stated that paying for gear and such was the solution to win. However even in current terms, the statement that PvP is like a map of the real world does possess some truth.

Similiarities:
-Arguably stronger classes could find the rest of the game easier than arguably weaker classes, despite it currently containing fair difficulty for all classes. So for example, the game is easy for all classes, however Class A may find it easier than Class B or C or D.
-So how do we know if Class A finds it easier than Class B? The answer is that Class A beats Class B or C or D in PvP more.
-The same can be said for companions. Say if one class has unit A and the other Unit B.
-Unit A is supposedly stronger than unit B, and it can be based on the fact that those who possess unit A will beat those with Unit B more.

Your statement of bucks are strong, despite them being considered weak, thus making the 'map' wrong:
Once you have done some PvP however, you will find the statement "buccaneers are horrible in PvP" are only used by the amateur players who PvP, who presume Bucks are easy to kill. Bucks are deadly, however we arguably have certain OP advantages over them, which may make some players feel superior whether it be in a selfish or observational way.

Bucks have debuffs. Bucks can stack a lot of protections. Bucks are musketeer killers and easily destroy low dodge musketeer companions with reckless frezny. So since bucks can possess deadly qualities in the field, they won't suffer in the real world, making my map statement of PvP as a depiction of the real world slightly more valid. If you ever meet a buccaneer named Jean Walker, he is a prime example of a buccaneer who kills a lot of classes. Bucks can do well in PvP, and therefore in the real world too.
(...from continued)

To me the only negativity and 'ugliness' that comes from the game evolves from the PvP environment and competing against another player instead of against an enemy from the game. This doesn't imply that PvP doesn't have any positive aspects or contributions, it just means that along with those aspects comes the negativity and displays of superiority/inferiority that PvP and competition breeds. But for what I am witnessing the majority of the issues and frustrations are from disgruntled PvPers who don't like to lose against combatants with paid for advantages and want this to be fixed, not about how this will effect future gameplay for every type of player out there.

So, I will just continue to enjoy the game and stay away from the drama and negativity surrounding PvP and just see what the future holds. I prefer to live in the moment and right now I am nothing but pleased with the game that Kingsisle has presented to us.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
DeathWiz101378 on Feb 16, 2014 wrote:
I totally agree. I came to pirate101 looking for a break from wizard101's prejudice in pvp. Pirate101 was really fun when i played in september of 2013. Every class (yes even bucaneers with decent gear) was equal in pvp, and it was probably the best mmorpg i've ever played.
Then they introduced nausica. I believe she's completely broken the game. Musketeers with quick draw 2 are at high disadvantages to her, and she's completely unstoppable with a fort and spirit shield on her. The gear was also overpowering for muskets and swash. Swashes with the gear have more armor then buccaneers and just a little less resist than witchdoctors.
And now there's the mojo monkey companion. Not many people have him yet, but i know a privateer who uses him and it's plain overpowered. Reckless Frenzy totally owns, and with ranged classes unable to find some kind of reduce accuracy they can't defend themselves against it. Don't even get me started on the gear, with crazy stats and arguably the best cards in the game.
When i was on wizard101's forums i was quite upset when people called KingsIsle "CrownsIsle" but now i almosts understand what they mean.
If the next update doesn't change these things, this game will become completely "Pay to win".
And to the people who said "well it's 40 dollars" That's no excuse. Since i live in the uk, the only way i can get this bundle is with more expensive prices on E-Bay. And if you think that's nothing, i'm talking about 72 Dollars. An increase of almost 100%!
And what if people don't have the money? The average player buys a membership and gets to 65 just before it ends, with a day or two to farm for decent gear, doesn't buy all the bundles to get a chance at winning in pvp.

"Just My 2 Cents" well at least that's affordable .

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 27
With all due respect, I don't believe that Nausica, the mojo monkey companion and future bundle companions have broken the game or will break the game at all. Now they may have broken the PvP aspect of the game but not the game itself. For the storyline and main quest gaming you don't have to purchase these bundles or companions or have to fight against them at all if you so choose. So, the only issue with these companions seems to be in PvP battle and the frustrations shown by those that do not own them and thus suffer defeat from facing them.

Is it unfair, yes and no. Yes because for those without the option to buy the companions it is not a level playing field. Yes because how can someone who can't afford or have the means to purchase them compete with those that can. No because it is an available option. People who work hard for their money and have the means and option to buy the bundles should be able to spend their hard earned money how they choose. There are people who may be able to purchase them but they choose not to- again their decision. If there was no added incentive to purchasing these bundles, gear and companions, why would anybody feel compelled to spend their hard earned money on something that would not make them any different than those who could not or chose not to buy them?

It may take some creativity and effort, but some of this frustration can be avoided- to some degree. If you or anyone who enjoys PvP takes it upon themselves to keep a running tally of those that have these companions. Take note of which pirates have the added advantage of paid for companions and gear, and avoid PvP with them. Only try to PvP against friends on the same level playing field as yourself. It may be a pain to document this but simple notes, switching of realms, asking through chats and/or observing who has these advantages and who doesn't, is doable and can help avoid frustrations. My point is that if PvP has become a negative or burden, don't do it...or get creative and put effort into keeping it enjoyable.

I also, politely disagree with this statement:

"If the next update doesn't change these things, this game will become completely "Pay to win"."

PvP, not the game of P101 will be "Pay to win". Beyond the membership, you don't need to spend a penny to have success and progress in the game. And I think that statement, exemplifies what has been lost in all the talk, frustrations and complaints about "pay to win"- and that is the game of Pirate101 itself. The issue of "pay to win" is clearly centered around unfairness or advantages in PvP and it doesn't have any bearing on playing the P101 storyline (so far). These bundles, uber companions and stacked gear are not needed one bit to have success in the game- simply put you don't need to pay for them to win in the game, just PvP.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Thunder Hawk on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
.........I guess you're right on that.........

(And my message board name is ThunderCHU, NOT ThunderCHOO!)

To be honest, my only major challenges playing Pirate101 were:

~Rooke(epic fight by the way)

~Bishop(mostly because my only character who has access to that dungeon is my Witchdoctor)

~Chumba Wumba(because I was still working out Pirate101's game play mechanics)

~Minotaur(also pretty epic)

I really hope for a even bigger challenge. That would definitely make my piratin' day. Although...... If I let El Toro or Hawkules near such a challenge..... And they dominate it........... Uh-oh!
~

"The flow of time is always cruel... It speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..." ~Sheik
My humble apologies for the message board name faux pas, ThunderCHU. I guess I was picturing a massive locomotive chuggin' and a chooin' and thundering down a set of tracks. Honest mistake I can assure you.

I agree with you that once you learn about the nuances of the game and how to properly use battle strategies, that the game becomes relatively easy. I also wouldn't mind being presented with a more challenging gameplay at times, without the need to purchase the Stacked bundles, gear and companions of course.

The good news is that you can sort of customize the level of difficulty a bit, based on what you do with your companion training points and how you use them. For a while when things were too easy, I didn't train any companions except for my 1st mate. I think the next highest companion was 10+ levels below my pirate and then steadily dropped. Needless to say the battles got a bit more interesting and questionable as far as the outcome. It provided a bit more intensity and challenge to the game and I rather enjoyed it. Plus I accumulated quite a load of training points (93 at my highest point)- just waiting in the wings. Suffice to say when I did use those points, my lesser companions' levels skyrocketed pretty fast. So if you are looking for a bit more of a challenge, you can 'turn the difficulty up' in this way and other creative ways.

I am quite sure the future of the game will present more challenges albeit without having to "pay to win".

And you are right, Rooke was indeed a fantastic battle! And for me the Hydra was a bit of a nail biter as well- just barely eeking out a victory on my first try. I never had a doubt though

Community Leader
Where does "balance" play a role in PVE? It really doesnt translate the way PVP enthusiasts would like to implicate. From a PVE perspective the classes varying even has an advantage in further making each one a different play experience. I am not saying they shouldnt be somewhat balanced, but reflecting how such concepts do not apply in the PVE world in the same fashion.

The main issue I have with "balance" is that its such a relative perspective, that in most cases I dont see the actual players as being adequately prepared to be constructive in their discussions on it. However KI watching and recording 1000's of matchs, their outcomes, etc... this actually IMO would be a much better gauge of balance. KI kept listening to players in this regard in W101, and now PVP in that game is a mess. I've even seen 2 threads on the subject of class balance discussion for W101 that directly contradicted each other. Everyone cannot be right.

I dont think people should be able to "pay" their way through, but its pretty obvious from a business perspective that you must give people that "pay" an advantage (or they wont pay).

Funniest comment I have read "I really liked the good old days of PvP".
PVP isnt even out of its testing phase yet, its in "beta" as we speak. That is why its not currently "Ranked". Unless they added "ranked" pvp recently which I do not think they have, the current PVP process is experimental/test, and constantly under review as they make plans to move forward. They have stated this numerous times. I dont think its wrong to give them feedback but it must be kept constructive, and realized they will be taken with a grain of salt as they say.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
1