Stormzilla. REally?

1
AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 23, 2009
10
Why did you all keep this quests?

Its silly and I dont understand why I am forced to master this robot . What's the point?

And why can't I at lest get a heal we spend most of the time killing eggs then one on one with stormzilla who is really strong and powerful. And all we have are useless spells that dont nearly take enough health to do damage. Yet Stormzilla is pounding away with 3-1 hits. This quest is murder and I am tired It hated it in the beta i hate it now.

Can we please rethink that quest it just too hard.

Petty Officer
Dec 16, 2009
60
I really hate the stormzilla battle. It's hard and nothing helps. Three epics, we get none, our critical chance is slim, and they critical like almost 50% of the time.

Friendly Justin Everhart - Level 47
Helpful Luke Nelson - Level 12

Ensign
Jan 23, 2009
10
The real problem is. You can not heal and Stormzilla is 10x the size of the few abilitied given to us to use. Seriously I am level 50 and I still can put a dent in it.

Also the few times I got close it had 5 critical hits in a row and killed me.

How is this fair?

I have been reading the other sites too this is a commonly complained about part. I am still wondering why it is so important that you made it part of the main story so I can advance with it and its all I have left to defeat.

If its this hard its not fun.

Captain
May 02, 2009
525
Stormzilla is actually really easy. Its even easier if your pet decides to join. Well first off, destory all the eggs without using a skill, then set the top second and third rows on fire and burn the Stromzilla. Then kill it with your remaining skills. There are several guides on Youtube about it too.

Community Leader
In beta, this was hard, took me 3 tries (the first time).
When it went live, took me 3 tries the first time because they had changed it.

I've beaten it everytime I have tried since.
I've walked friends through it helping them beat it their first try.

Its not that hard, its "different" than the rest of the game is all.

Besides I think its cool how it fits into the storyline, they want us to help those people with thier stormzilla problem, KI chose a fun way to make it work. There was no way our companions and pirate could have beaten "stormzilla" otherwise.

And some of the companions comments are priceless...

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
May 06, 2010
4
Elder Wizard Sojo on Dec 11, 2012 wrote:
Why did you all keep this quests?

Its silly and I dont understand why I am forced to master this robot . What's the point?

And why can't I at lest get a heal we spend most of the time killing eggs then one on one with stormzilla who is really strong and powerful. And all we have are useless spells that dont nearly take enough health to do damage. Yet Stormzilla is pounding away with 3-1 hits. This quest is murder and I am tired It hated it in the beta i hate it now.

Can we please rethink that quest it just too hard.
Well for me i could kill it but my Epic moves on my robot wont work for me and it wont let me even move as the robot half the time. So i think your right PLZ take out or remake this quest

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
273
ARE YOU CRAZY?!!!!!!!!!!!!! That quest is standing between me and the map pieces to El Dorodo. You reading these complaints Kingsisle? Your game is going to be very unpopular if you don't do something about stormzilla's massive strength and destructive power. I don't care if make the ROBOT overpowered I am sick and tired of losing to that fat over-sized reptile over and over again. I am sorry, but this stormzilla thing is going to far and its getting out of hand.

Ensign
May 27, 2010
2
Okay, we are about to delete the game because Stormzilla is too hard. We can't even use all our special attacks. This quest doesn't even really fit with the theme of the game. It appears no amount of feedback is going to fix anything. Shame.

Ensign
Nov 26, 2012
4
The battle honestly isn't as hard as you make it sound. I mean, sure Stormzilla's health and damage are at a 2:1 ratio compared to yours, but that's simply because you're not supposed to use the "melee first, ask questions later" strategy. The best strategy to use at the moment, is to set up two lines of fire at the top with your laser power (where you have the absolute most space), and lead him through the fires. Much like a musketeer would try and lead their enemy through a field of bombs. It's a different strategy for the game, yes. Extremely difficult? No.

(First time posting on the message boards, by the way. I just felt I should get my point out there).

Wicked Alexander L50

Wicked Xavier L10

Community Leader
Quentin Atherton on Dec 22, 2012 wrote:
ARE YOU CRAZY?!!!!!!!!!!!!! That quest is standing between me and the map pieces to El Dorodo. You reading these complaints Kingsisle? Your game is going to be very unpopular if you don't do something about stormzilla's massive strength and destructive power. I don't care if make the ROBOT overpowered I am sick and tired of losing to that fat over-sized reptile over and over again. I am sorry, but this stormzilla thing is going to far and its getting out of hand.
Hmmm...

You know this is one of my favorite dungeons to repeat. Love it.
Once you figure out the tools, and develop a strategy, its not that hard.

I see more people making suggestions on how to beat it, than people complaining about it.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Administrator
jackct80 on Dec 22, 2012 wrote:
Okay, we are about to delete the game because Stormzilla is too hard. We can't even use all our special attacks. This quest doesn't even really fit with the theme of the game. It appears no amount of feedback is going to fix anything. Shame.
I'm sorry you're having issues with the Go Go Stormzilla quest! I want to assure you that we've heard a lot of feedback on this quest on about every form of social media you can imagine. Please note that we've already adjusted the quest twice before because of feedback, and we'll most likely be adjusting the Stormzilla quest again sometime shortly after the new year. We're listening!

I know that doesn't solve your current frustrations with the quest, but in the meantime if you could please refer to one of several guides that are available online by our wonderful and helpful community (Gr33nMyth above has some good suggestions as well), I think you might find more success. Best of luck everyone, hang in there, and you can do it!

Thanks for your feedback.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
I'm sorry you're having issues with the Go Go Stormzilla quest! I want to assure you that we've heard a lot of feedback on this quest on about every form of social media you can imagine. Please note that we've already adjusted the quest twice before because of feedback, and we'll most likely be adjusting the Stormzilla quest again sometime shortly after the new year. We're listening!

I know that doesn't solve your current frustrations with the quest, but in the meantime if you could please refer to one of several guides that are available online by our wonderful and helpful community (Gr33nMyth above has some good suggestions as well), I think you might find more success. Best of luck everyone, hang in there, and you can do it!

Thanks for your feedback.
Thanks for keeping us updated, Jack! This is a toughie at first, for sure! I definitely would not want to see this quest removed from the game, no matter how tough it was. I have seen this kind of complaint before when playing other MMO's and never thought it was very constructive. I understand that folks can get frustrated if they feel the can't progress, but we don't want to discourage KI from adding variety to our play experience. If having to lose every once in a while means that we get quests other than the regular kinds (defeat these, collect these, go see this person), then I'm all for it. I like the way combat is in the game, but sometimes, the game feels a bit more rich if you get to do something else for a bit.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Nov 30, 2012
14
This stormzilla quest is NOT that hard everyone. Not all the fights have to be brute force, dmg++++ ftw.

I think the designers for this quest wanted players to think of other ways to kill stormzilla than to use brute force.

Think of it as another upgraded version of the evil duck of doom (where you have to turn some mechanism to disable the protective shield) or lo pan (to strike the gong or altar to disable the protective shield for the Terracotta soldiers, cant rem the exact details)

I mean, in game, we collect gunpowder and put them into cannons and shoot an opening in some walls remember?

Cheer up folks.

I read all the guides and watched the youtube videos. I killed it on my 3rd try as I was wondering what the other tokens were supposed to do.

My advice is this:

1) Follow what the rest said about smashing eggs from bottom left, bottom right, upper right.
2) Stormzilla will try to follow you, zap it with a slow down token when you on the way to the top right corner.
3) Quickly set fire to the 2nd row from the top when you are at the top right corner. If you are lucky, it might destroy one of the 3 eggs in the top left corner.
4) Leave the top row, it has gaps for you to run to. Always run in a zig zag manner, for stormzilla to follow you.
5) Watch out for the clouds of fumes that stormzilla spewed out, it can damage you.
6) When you reach the top left corner with 3 eggs, stormzilla would have followed you and got burnt in the process.
7) Quickly zap another line of fire from the top left corner to the right. Then run in a zigzag manner for it to follow you and get burnt.
8) When it moved into 2 lines of fire, from right to left then from left to right, it's health will be close to yellow/red.
9) Finish it off with the rest of the tokens. Game Over. :P

My only beef with this quest is that one have to run a long way from the village all the way into the valley of titans, then all the way to the place where they keep the robot.

Good luck mates, happy killing.

Ensign
Jan 23, 2009
10
One-Eyed Jack on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
I'm sorry you're having issues with the Go Go Stormzilla quest! I want to assure you that we've heard a lot of feedback on this quest on about every form of social media you can imagine. Please note that we've already adjusted the quest twice before because of feedback, and we'll most likely be adjusting the Stormzilla quest again sometime shortly after the new year. We're listening!

I know that doesn't solve your current frustrations with the quest, but in the meantime if you could please refer to one of several guides that are available online by our wonderful and helpful community (Gr33nMyth above has some good suggestions as well), I think you might find more success. Best of luck everyone, hang in there, and you can do it!

Thanks for your feedback.
REALLY! Thank you I dont care what anyone says I am no newbie to this game or the last and I Ironically didnt have as much trouble in beta as I did in live.

I have not been able to pass it and so I havent tried anymore I was just gonna let the sub run out but its good to read that you are reading and reacting.

Ensign
Jan 23, 2009
10
Talkin The Plank on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
Thanks for keeping us updated, Jack! This is a toughie at first, for sure! I definitely would not want to see this quest removed from the game, no matter how tough it was. I have seen this kind of complaint before when playing other MMO's and never thought it was very constructive. I understand that folks can get frustrated if they feel the can't progress, but we don't want to discourage KI from adding variety to our play experience. If having to lose every once in a while means that we get quests other than the regular kinds (defeat these, collect these, go see this person), then I'm all for it. I like the way combat is in the game, but sometimes, the game feels a bit more rich if you get to do something else for a bit.
seriously?

Okay let me just add talking the plank you can come over and support the idea of the quest and you can even gush over KI. But what is completely rude is to assume you know my motives. I posted this (original poster here) and its not because I am some kid throwing a tantrum as implied. Its because its hard unnecessarily so.

There are no heals
The spells aren't even all available to me as you have be wearing a certain weapon for some. I have killed the eggs over and over got to the end and Stormzilla has five different attacks in a row.

This may be because I am Witch doctor I couldnt say. However this isnt same light quest in the beginning of the game its at the end and I am at level 50 and if I can't beat it alone - oh wait that's right I have to solo this.

I wouldn't care if this was a side quests I would just come back till it did it. But this is the main storyline and I cant move on. If that is the case its not about me whinning it simply means that I am stuck.

So if you won congrates but I wont beleive one person here who said they did it in one try and I am starting to think three times is low.

I have not had one hard fight (not once) and I soloed this whole game as I did the beta. Ironically I beat it 3 times in the beta.

So please dont try to score points by add motives to my cry for help. Even if it was easy for you (which i doubt) I think if I am having this much trouble I am not the only one.

Like I was I am not new to this game or the other one (I am top ranking in wizard as well) if I am complaining, its not because I give up easy but after more than eight tries this isnt fun anymore.

Community Leader
My comment wasn't directed at you. It was actually more of a commentary on World of Warcraft forum posters, if you'd like me to be specific. Every time a quest was added to that game that had you do something with different abilities that you'd normally use, people would complain that it was unfair or too difficult or fill in the blank. I always liked these quests as they could break up the monotony, though sometimes they might take 1 or 2 tries as you got used to the different mechanics that might be involved. My point was more that I like this kind of addition that keeps the gameplay fresh, not that Stormzilla is perfect as is. I don't want it removed. I want to encourage KI to add things to do in the game outside the normal gameplay.

I did this quest when my Buccaneer was lvl 46. I may be mistaken, but I don't think your character's epics or stats or anything else has to do with the stats of the Stupendor-X, just if you have a pet equipped or not. I got this on the second try and I didn't do it perfectly then either, I only won with 50hp left, so I easily could have ended up with a 3 try. That being said, I can see how, under the right conditions, this quest could seem impossible and why it is bemoaned instead of hailed as a success. Stormzilla is too strong for this to be truly fun for all and there only seems to be one strategy that works. The fact that KI is trying to fix this instead of just letting it be is encouraging to me as a player. They listen. These kind of changes take a while and they don't, I'm sure, want to nerf it into being trivial.

Again, wasn't trying to call anyone out. I object to the removal of the quest, not the adjustment of it. I also support the player's right to bring this up and let the dev's know they have a problem. If we couldn't do that, or if they didn't listen, this whole forum would be pointless.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Jan 23, 2009
10
Talkin The Plank on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
My comment wasn't directed at you. It was actually more of a commentary on World of Warcraft forum posters, if you'd like me to be specific. Every time a quest was added to that game that had you do something with different abilities that you'd normally use, people would complain that it was unfair or too difficult or fill in the blank. I always liked these quests as they could break up the monotony, though sometimes they might take 1 or 2 tries as you got used to the different mechanics that might be involved. My point was more that I like this kind of addition that keeps the gameplay fresh, not that Stormzilla is perfect as is. I don't want it removed. I want to encourage KI to add things to do in the game outside the normal gameplay.

I did this quest when my Buccaneer was lvl 46. I may be mistaken, but I don't think your character's epics or stats or anything else has to do with the stats of the Stupendor-X, just if you have a pet equipped or not. I got this on the second try and I didn't do it perfectly then either, I only won with 50hp left, so I easily could have ended up with a 3 try. That being said, I can see how, under the right conditions, this quest could seem impossible and why it is bemoaned instead of hailed as a success. Stormzilla is too strong for this to be truly fun for all and there only seems to be one strategy that works. The fact that KI is trying to fix this instead of just letting it be is encouraging to me as a player. They listen. These kind of changes take a while and they don't, I'm sure, want to nerf it into being trivial.

Again, wasn't trying to call anyone out. I object to the removal of the quest, not the adjustment of it. I also support the player's right to bring this up and let the dev's know they have a problem. If we couldn't do that, or if they didn't listen, this whole forum would be pointless.
My mistake.

It seemed as if you were saying that this was about something altogether different I did not realize you were referring to a past experience unrelated.

I guess I will try to get my other chars to this point and see what happens. Maybe its a witchdoctor thing.

Ensign
Jun 03, 2009
6
KI, you're not listening, and to all those that say this is easy or not that hard, give it a rest. I've tried this quest over 15 times and every time I die.

First try, I followed the strat to the letter and guess what, at least 50% of the time the robot failed to move so that right there renders the strategy moot. The whole 2:1 ratio would work if the robot worked. As of 1 January the Robot is still glitched. Does it have Epic abilities? They're listed, but not once has mine activated.

To the effect of pets joining that is also moot as Stormzilla completely destroys it. I just wish those that have completed this quest keep it to themselves and leave these suggestions to those having GLITCH issues, not strategy issues.

First glitch: Robot movement; second: Robot epics fail to activate.

Fix the movement glitches people are experiencing, make the epics work and the current configuration would be doable. As of right now quest completion relies solely on sheer dumb luck.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
225
nullThe problem with movement is to do with the swashbuckler talent Fast, which adds extra movement. The extra movement range shows up but Stupendor-X cannot move that far so the order is cancelled. This is a huge bug and makes the fight much harder than it needs to be. But it is still not impossible. Just try to keep your movement to two less than what is shown.

Also, people are giving strategy suggestions because other people are saying the fight is too hard, which could mean they have a problem with the strategy. If they said it was bugged, things might be different.

Ensign
Jun 03, 2009
6
smaccorrio on Jan 1, 2013 wrote:
KI, you're not listening, and to all those that say this is easy or not that hard, give it a rest. I've tried this quest over 15 times and every time I die.

First try, I followed the strat to the letter and guess what, at least 50% of the time the robot failed to move so that right there renders the strategy moot. The whole 2:1 ratio would work if the robot worked. As of 1 January the Robot is still glitched. Does it have Epic abilities? They're listed, but not once has mine activated.

To the effect of pets joining that is also moot as Stormzilla completely destroys it. I just wish those that have completed this quest keep it to themselves and leave these suggestions to those having GLITCH issues, not strategy issues.

First glitch: Robot movement; second: Robot epics fail to activate.

Fix the movement glitches people are experiencing, make the epics work and the current configuration would be doable. As of right now quest completion relies solely on sheer dumb luck.
Ok I beat it on my 21st try. I followed the only functional way to actually win, the same strategy everyone did, the robot failed to move 3 times (so frustrating), 2 eggs made me attack them twice before breaking (the one on the right midway up the map and the middle bottom), the last 2 eggs in the top left hatched, but luckily I was able to get them and Stormzilla in a rocket punch together before they ate too many fires. It is still a broken quest, as with all things broken does not mean undoable. I still experienced a headache from the glitching. Robot movement seems to be limited to 1-4 squares anymore and it will fail to move altogether. The listed epics still are only for show and do not activate. I beat him with half my health left, using Chest Beam and Rocket Punch combos to keep it at range and in line with the fire. I did not have to use the whirlwind ability at all.

This attempt at trying to be fresh ends up being moot as it becomes frustrating and annoying. Go, Go Stormzilla in it's current state is failing. I like challenging, only when it works, the robot does NOT work.

Still I applaud you, adding a mech quest was cool, it is just annoying and frustrating as is and almost made me quit all my KI subscriptions.

To my fellow frustrated pirates, follow the path for egg breaking, blast lasers when you reach the 2nd row at top right to left, follow the first row to the leftover eggs, blast fire from left to right on third row, use chest beams to kee it aligned, rocket punch at a distance and be patient, it will not work out as planned so be flexible.

Ensign
Feb 19, 2012
7
I do like this quest.. it diffrent.. But the movement glitch can really kill you... if you don't' get the egg in time the fight is a hole lot harder.

I have been reading the strats to kill him, and i have gotten close to kill him then 1 of the movement glitch happen and it all over..

Ensign
Apr 26, 2010
39
smaccorrio on Jan 1, 2013 wrote:
KI, you're not listening, and to all those that say this is easy or not that hard, give it a rest. I've tried this quest over 15 times and every time I die.

First try, I followed the strat to the letter and guess what, at least 50% of the time the robot failed to move so that right there renders the strategy moot. The whole 2:1 ratio would work if the robot worked. As of 1 January the Robot is still glitched. Does it have Epic abilities? They're listed, but not once has mine activated.

To the effect of pets joining that is also moot as Stormzilla completely destroys it. I just wish those that have completed this quest keep it to themselves and leave these suggestions to those having GLITCH issues, not strategy issues.

First glitch: Robot movement; second: Robot epics fail to activate.

Fix the movement glitches people are experiencing, make the epics work and the current configuration would be doable. As of right now quest completion relies solely on sheer dumb luck.
I would disagree on it being dumb luck, the strategy helps. I'm not saying that you're just not getting the strategy, the robot is glitched. but the movement glitch can be avoided. you only lose your turn if you move more than 4 squares ( I think 5 squares is safe too, but it's a risk). and the pet is helpful, not to damage stormzilla, though. your pet distracts the attention of stormzilla long enough for you to break the eggs. and also does a tiny bit of damage to stormzilla. a little bit is better than nothing. Idk what to say about the glitches concerning epics, except that this is possible, just very very hard. if you persevere, and follow the strategy, and remember to only move four tiles, you will EVENTUALLY get it. probably not instantly, but eventually. there is another thread about this that may be of
use. https://www.pirate101.com/forum/messageBoard/listPosts/free_game/8ad6a4143b6a6206013ba5fca00b109
good luck, Stormzilla Slayers!

Ensign
Mar 15, 2012
8
KI must have tweaked this quest because I had no trouble beating it on my first try. I went straight to the stormzilla and slowed it so it wouldn't get away then attacked it with regular attacks. After the eggs hatched and the baby zillas gathered around me I used my attack all adjacent enemies attack to kill them then hammered away at big zillia with the epic attacks.

Administrator
Silverlock67 on Jan 14, 2013 wrote:
KI must have tweaked this quest because I had no trouble beating it on my first try. I went straight to the stormzilla and slowed it so it wouldn't get away then attacked it with regular attacks. After the eggs hatched and the baby zillas gathered around me I used my attack all adjacent enemies attack to kill them then hammered away at big zillia with the epic attacks.
That we did! See the announcement in the Captain's Log forum for more information.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Jan 23, 2009
10
I finally passed it. I still hate it, maybe I always will, because of this constant beat down I took. I am glad its easier less critical hits from stormzilla made it easier to live and defeat it. I still wish you'd boost the power of the hits we make and give us more so that we dont run out because stormzilla will not run out of hits.

1