Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I can't discard Pet Items?? Really???

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
So, with the advent of the advanced pets, I've been trying to get my pets up to the highest level they can muster, primarily to help my pirate in battle. I really don't care to play Pokemonpirate.

I have all of their attributes up to their max, I've gotten the G/G/G as high as they will go (doesn't really matter, since I don't spar with them) and am now working on the Power Meter.

This requires me to find snacks that either grant power points or which my pet likes.

So, I'm sending my companions out Pet Wranglin' to gather snacks, equipment, and the occasional egg.

Now, unless I am mistaken, the only time I can feed a snack to a pet is after it has completed an exercise. And the higher the level of my pet, the more time it takes. Level 65 Pets take over 7 hours to complete even the simplext Skull Island task that lets me feed a pet a snack.

So, I would much rather keep snacks that either my pet likes, or which grants power points. The rest, I try to sell.

Which works okay, until I maximize my gold. At that point, I can't put them in my bank to give to someone else, I can't sell them, so I try to discard them.

Only to find that I cannot discard them! Can't discard snacks, or equipment I no longer need! Huh?? Why not?

I end up buying snacks and equipment just to sell them back at a reduced rate in order to get rid of them.

Why can't I simply discard them?

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Max DeGroot on Jul 11, 2014 wrote:
So, with the advent of the advanced pets, I've been trying to get my pets up to the highest level they can muster, primarily to help my pirate in battle. I really don't care to play Pokemonpirate.

I have all of their attributes up to their max, I've gotten the G/G/G as high as they will go (doesn't really matter, since I don't spar with them) and am now working on the Power Meter.

This requires me to find snacks that either grant power points or which my pet likes.

So, I'm sending my companions out Pet Wranglin' to gather snacks, equipment, and the occasional egg.

Now, unless I am mistaken, the only time I can feed a snack to a pet is after it has completed an exercise. And the higher the level of my pet, the more time it takes. Level 65 Pets take over 7 hours to complete even the simplext Skull Island task that lets me feed a pet a snack.

So, I would much rather keep snacks that either my pet likes, or which grants power points. The rest, I try to sell.

Which works okay, until I maximize my gold. At that point, I can't put them in my bank to give to someone else, I can't sell them, so I try to discard them.

Only to find that I cannot discard them! Can't discard snacks, or equipment I no longer need! Huh?? Why not?

I end up buying snacks and equipment just to sell them back at a reduced rate in order to get rid of them.

Why can't I simply discard them?
Why would you want to discard them? They don't take bag space and you can always use them for your pets obviously.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Scurvy Anthony Wal... on Jul 12, 2014 wrote:
Why would you want to discard them? They don't take bag space and you can always use them for your pets obviously.
I just told you why. When my pet finishes an activity, I don't want to have to spend the time sifting through all of the snacks to find the ones that grant power or my pet likes.

You see, all my attributes are maxed except for the Power meter. If I feed my pet a snack that he doesn't like or which grants no power I just wasted 7+ hours!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
I just told you why. When my pet finishes an activity, I don't want to have to spend the time sifting through all of the snacks to find the ones that grant power or my pet likes.

You see, all my attributes are maxed except for the Power meter. If I feed my pet a snack that he doesn't like or which grants no power I just wasted 7+ hours!!
You can sell them to the bazaar.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Sell them for gold in the Circus Maximus - much better than discarding...

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Whoops - I forgot to mention that if you are at Max gold, go to Nova Aquila and buy the huge pile of treasure -- problem solved.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Would it be possible to hang on to them until you spend some gold, maybe through morphing, and then you can sell the unwanted/undesirable snacks/gear to recoup a little bit of that gold? If you just attempt 1 morph, you should be able to sell every snack/gear card you don't wish to hang on.

Sure, trashing or storing the item would be easier, but it really doesn't require to much effort to "dispose" of them by selling them after you make a purchase or spend gold morphing or on something else. I sell snacks and gear often and it usually takes no more than a couple minutes to find something to spend gold on (if at max gold level) and then sell the unwanted pet stuff.

Or perhaps, if you are at max gold you can help out a fellow pirate who is in search of a pet that they haven't been able to get their hands on either through boss/enemy drops or Crowns. Maybe offer to morph with them so they could have a better shot at getting the pet and you could part with some gold to make room to sell the unwanted snacks/gear.

The morphing tent is the perfect place to dispose of a bit of gold, since it won't take any time to make up the probable 18,000-22,000 gold to get back to max gold (especially if your pirate is maxed) and the Pet Snack/Gear Vendors are close by for convenient selling. Or you transport to Avery's and hit the Bazaar for a chance at selling for more gold (at least ones not in the inventory).

Plus, who knows you may just accidently discover a new Hybrid and become a "Hero of the Morphing World"....or at least help out your fellow pirates with their morphing and pet acquisition efforts.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Hmmm, Perhaps a search function or tabs If we know the world or type of snack we want, maybe tabs to sort them or to pull one up by it's name.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013

I don't know why you think its a waste. Feeding your pet ANY snack after an exercise is better than you not feeding your pet anything after it completes an exercise. Of course it is better feeding your pets snacks that they love or like, but if I were you, I would simply sell the cheap level one snacks. Keep the snacks that are above level 5. At least if they don't like the snack, they will still receive a lot of xp. If you are looking for snacks with power, then send some of your companions to get some pet gear. Occasionally you will get the best snacks that offer power. Occasionally you can also find some high pet snacks being sold at the Bazaar as well. Also, I don't understand why you don't like selling them either. If you have to much money then for pete sake buy some things. Use your money for a better ship, better gear, hatching, ship gear, companion tomes, etc. There are A LOT of things that you can spend your money on. I never seen anyone complain about having too much money. Once your short on cash THEN you can sell the items. Selling items is always better than discarding items. At least your being rewarded for selling an item, or in your case pet gear.

Community Leader
Arr matey!!!

I think most pirates wouldn't want to discard items worth gold.
Being at max gold is not that common among pirates.
Not unheard of at all, but that gold usually burns a hole in our pirates pockets! Har!!
Maybe ye should buy a ship, some new gear, a house, something! ;)
Just a recommendation, I realize its not a real solution.

I find myself farming Friar Sand regularly, NEEDING more gold!

I can sympathize with yer predicament however, I suppose we should be able to discard stuff.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Max, you can always buy more of the snacks your preferred pet likes, and pay for them by selling the snacks your pets don't like. I think you're being short sighted to do this, but that's your prerogative. Have you considered decorating your house with furniture available for gold?

KI, I would prefer that you don't allow us to discard snacks because we could potentially discard them by accident.

Ensign
Jun 16, 2014
What if a solution could be added with crafting when it becomes available? The ability to craft stronger snack cards using existing ones?

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
i hear ya matey, me feelin's exactly

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
We can discard just about anything else in our backpack that is worth much more. Why not pet items?

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Max DeGroot on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
We can discard just about anything else in our backpack that is worth much more. Why not pet items?
We just told you why you should or shouldn't. If you decide to follow our opinions is up to you, but we think it would be best to sell the items you don't want. Its better than actually discarding it.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Scurvy Anthony Wal... on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
We just told you why you should or shouldn't. If you decide to follow our opinions is up to you, but we think it would be best to sell the items you don't want. Its better than actually discarding it.
I didn't ASK if I should or shouldn't. The point is, I CAN'T!!!

I can throw away anything else in my backpack EXCEPT pet items.

Stop trying to convince me that I shouldn't, and explain the logic behind being able to discard anything you like, except pet items.

As proof of the flaw, I can discard pets. But I can't discard pet items?

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Row4n412 on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
Max, you can always buy more of the snacks your preferred pet likes, and pay for them by selling the snacks your pets don't like. I think you're being short sighted to do this, but that's your prerogative. Have you considered decorating your house with furniture available for gold?

KI, I would prefer that you don't allow us to discard snacks because we could potentially discard them by accident.
There are only three pet snack vendors, they all sell the same things, and none of them are items my pet likes.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Max DeGroot on Jul 19, 2014 wrote:
I didn't ASK if I should or shouldn't. The point is, I CAN'T!!!

I can throw away anything else in my backpack EXCEPT pet items.

Stop trying to convince me that I shouldn't, and explain the logic behind being able to discard anything you like, except pet items.

As proof of the flaw, I can discard pets. But I can't discard pet items?
Well first of all, calm down. Second of all SELL THEM... We're sharing advice to you, but your just trying to prove us wrong with the same excuse? Why would someone want to discard pet gear? YOUR pretty much saying "there's no way I can get rid of this gear!" Well, the people on this forum are telling you to sell the gear you don't want. If you for some odd reason don't want to sell the gear then, use it up! 2 ways to solve your problem. TAKE the advice!

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
Evileen83 on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
What if a solution could be added with crafting when it becomes available? The ability to craft stronger snack cards using existing ones?
I like this idea. It sounds a bit like cooking! If you could combine snacks that would be awesome. Cooking would cost energy and time and the food getting prepared could even get overlooked and become useless. Just an idea to make it less OP of an option.

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
There are only three pet snack vendors, they all sell the same things, and none of them are items my pet likes.
1. Buy something
2. Sell pet items
3. Profit
4. ???
5. Repeat

I don't know I just felt like there had to be 5 steps.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hi Max, I thought you may like to know that all of the Snack vendors sell all 3 categories of Snacks (excluding Universal Snacks): Main Course, Side Dish and Dessert. Every pet Likes Snacks from one of those categories. These are the Snacks that the Snack Vendors sell, sorted into their category. Sure they only sell up to Rank 4 Snacks, but when going for at least a like, it doesn't matter what the Rank is to get that +1 from Liking the Snack.

Main Course Vendor Snacks: Fish Fingers, Banana & Potatoes, Banana Creole, Banana Gumbo, Banana Stew, Banana Burger, Banana Sandwich

Side Dish Vendor Snacks: Scrimshaw Swiss, Mystery Nuggets, Banana Kabobs, Banana Salad, Pan Fried Banana, Stir Fried Banana

Dessert Vendor Snacks: Golden Pineapple, Coconutella, Jelly Rogers, Molten Lava Cake, Troggy Taffy, Watermolen, Deep Fried Banana

So, ANY pet that you have will be guaranteed to like the Snacks from 1 of the 3 Categories of Snacks that the Vendors sell. If you match up the home Origin of the Pet and the Snack, along with the Category, then the pet will Love the Snack. If everything else is maxed except Power, then these Vendor Snacks are a great way to go for cheap Snacks that can boost your Power by at least +1. Plus you can sell any you don't want while you are there!

Also, here's a link to Snack Sheet over on Central that may help you find the right Snack to feed your pets. Hope this helps.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 21, 2014 wrote:
Hi Max, I thought you may like to know that all of the Snack vendors sell all 3 categories of Snacks (excluding Universal Snacks): Main Course, Side Dish and Dessert. Every pet Likes Snacks from one of those categories. These are the Snacks that the Snack Vendors sell, sorted into their category. Sure they only sell up to Rank 4 Snacks, but when going for at least a like, it doesn't matter what the Rank is to get that +1 from Liking the Snack.

Main Course Vendor Snacks: Fish Fingers, Banana & Potatoes, Banana Creole, Banana Gumbo, Banana Stew, Banana Burger, Banana Sandwich

Side Dish Vendor Snacks: Scrimshaw Swiss, Mystery Nuggets, Banana Kabobs, Banana Salad, Pan Fried Banana, Stir Fried Banana

Dessert Vendor Snacks: Golden Pineapple, Coconutella, Jelly Rogers, Molten Lava Cake, Troggy Taffy, Watermolen, Deep Fried Banana

So, ANY pet that you have will be guaranteed to like the Snacks from 1 of the 3 Categories of Snacks that the Vendors sell. If you match up the home Origin of the Pet and the Snack, along with the Category, then the pet will Love the Snack. If everything else is maxed except Power, then these Vendor Snacks are a great way to go for cheap Snacks that can boost your Power by at least +1. Plus you can sell any you don't want while you are there!

Also, here's a link to Snack Sheet over on Central that may help you find the right Snack to feed your pets. Hope this helps.
YES!!! That helps VERY much. I thought I was going to have to go hit or miss on this and write down the ones they liked.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Scurvy Anthony Wal... on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:
Well first of all, calm down. Second of all SELL THEM... We're sharing advice to you, but your just trying to prove us wrong with the same excuse? Why would someone want to discard pet gear? YOUR pretty much saying "there's no way I can get rid of this gear!" Well, the people on this forum are telling you to sell the gear you don't want. If you for some odd reason don't want to sell the gear then, use it up! 2 ways to solve your problem. TAKE the advice!
Okay, I am calm.

But I really wish people who stop assuming I can sell pet items when I am at Max Gold. I cannot. What I will have to do is buy some item (doesn't matter what) then sell the pet items, lather rinse, repeat.

I know the work around. I'm simply saying I don't need to know the workaround. I just think it is absurd that you can toss out every item in your backpack except pet items. It's kinda like saying I can discard Ol' Yeller but I can't throw away his dog food.

So, I bought a whole lot of items from a clothing vendor in Skull Island, put them in my shared bank, and let another character take them out and sell them, at a loss of 75-90% of their value. That's a lot of trouble to go to just to be able to sell pet items rather than discard them.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Max DeGroot on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
YES!!! That helps VERY much. I thought I was going to have to go hit or miss on this and write down the ones they liked.
Glad to help out Max. I was in the same boat when I first started (as I am sure most players were). At first I kept a log and documented every Snack I tried and what the result was on all of the various pets. It took a while and to be honest, looked a bit like chicken scratch dressed up to resemble gibberish! After a lot of trial-n-error I came across a couple of guides (including one on Duelist101- thanks to Chrissy's link in the PHP thread) that really helped take out some of the guess work. There were a few pets missing but from my own documenting, I was able to fill in the blanks and combine the guides and my info into that Snack Cheat Sheet. And as you noted, it makes it so much easier when it comes to pet feeding time.

Feel free to copy and paste the Snack Cheat Sheet and print it out if you'd like. I have one on my desk for super quick referencing. You can always just keep checking out the post on Central but to me that takes much longer and often have to go back and forth between it and the game (especially since I am currently training 3 pages of pets). Having a printed out version really helps feed them quickly and efficiently.

Well, good luck training and maxing out your pets.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Max DeGroot on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
Okay, I am calm.

But I really wish people who stop assuming I can sell pet items when I am at Max Gold. I cannot. What I will have to do is buy some item (doesn't matter what) then sell the pet items, lather rinse, repeat.

I know the work around. I'm simply saying I don't need to know the workaround. I just think it is absurd that you can toss out every item in your backpack except pet items. It's kinda like saying I can discard Ol' Yeller but I can't throw away his dog food.

So, I bought a whole lot of items from a clothing vendor in Skull Island, put them in my shared bank, and let another character take them out and sell them, at a loss of 75-90% of their value. That's a lot of trouble to go to just to be able to sell pet items rather than discard them.
Hey there Max. I personally find it much easier when I am at max-gold if I just go to the Morphing Tent and attempt at least 1 morph. This way I can 'unload' about 18,000-22,000 gold on just 1 item. If you don't want to keep the resulting hatched pet, then you only have 1 item to sell. Or you can just 'store' it in your pirate's house, without taking up much room. This will clear up a good chunk of gold space and then right after exiting the Morphing Tent, you can hit the nearby Snack Vendor and buy a few Snacks from each Snack Class/Category and sell those unwanted Snacks and/or gear.

I personally hang on to every Snack I get until I need gold, just in case I get a new pet from Wranglin' or Morphing, and will sell off Snacks that I have when they reach 100+ in number. I do sell a lot of gear and just the other day in one 'selling' I recouped about 40,000 gold. I get what you are saying as far as why are we not able to dump the Gear/Snacks if we can trash pretty much everything else in the game. It's a good question, but the fact remains that it is just the way it currently is.

I personally believe that an easier work around with the whole Maxed Gold and unloading unwanted Snacks/Gear is to just do one quick morphing attempt and since you are right at a Snack/Gear vendor, unload those undesirable Snacks/Gear for gold- being as you will now have room with the avg. 20,000 you just spent to Morph. Then buy some low level Snacks from each Snack Class to help with the +1(2) Power from your pet Liking the Snack and then train, sell or store the pet (only 1 item) that you got from morphing. If all stats on your pet are maxed excluding Power, then the lower level Snacks may be the better way to got to avoid 'wasting' a High Ranking Snack's attribute/XP bonus that could be used on possibly a new pet in the future.

Who knows, you may even discover a Hybrid during this process.

This is just my suggesting and what I prefer to do, but either way best of luck!