Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers: A Case Study

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 19, 2019
Having played this game for a couple years (I had an older account but I forgot/lost the password to it), I believe I have enough experience to do this write up.
So let’s talk about Swashbucklers, everyone’s favorite class! Note: I’ll be using some of the basic Powers for this write-up for the sake of simplicity.

Swashbucklers are one of the more frailer classes in Pirate101, and also have a little less accuracy than others from what I’ve seen, with having some of the highest Weapon Power and Dodge to compensate for it. Stabby Weapons are interesting because they’re the type of weapon mainly known for Armor Piercing, allowing them to ignore a percentage of a target’s Armor stat (for example, the Pirate Daggers are listed as having 30% Armor Piercing. Against a target with 10 Armor, the Pirate Daggers ignore 3 Armor, meaning the target has an effective Armor stat of 7).

It’s the class’ Powers that things really start getting interesting. Sneak Attack allows the player to attack with a x2 damage multiplier. Walk in Shadows lets them be hidden for 3 turns, protecting them from being targeted and doubling the Weapon Power on their next attack. The Epics that player Swashbucklers get from Morgan LaFitte is Tier 1 of First Strike, which basically works like the Tellius games’ (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn for those not in the know) version of the Vantage skill once a turn, and the big one being Riposte, which lets them get an attack for every missed attack against them (up to 3 times). Coupled with their high Weapon Power and Dodge, Riposte goes with Swashbucklers like peanut butter and jelly.

Swashbuckler companions more often than not will have access to Riposte, and they also have the highest Weapon Power and Dodge out of any of your party members. But now comes the big question: Does this mean that Swashbucklers are the best class in the game?

Well...not really.

They’re still frail and need babying, especially when starting out and against Musketeers (Cool Ranch would like to know your location, Swashes). The strengths of a Swashbuckler is balanced out by their overall frailness, which is why playable Swashbucklers need their high Dodge to survive on Enemy Phase. They also don’t get the Agility buffs that player Musketeers get (but coupling a Swashbuckler with a friend playing Musketeer is a great idea in my books because they both benefit from Agility), which would bolster their damage output and crit chance even further. Every class has their own ways to bolster their damage and crit chance, so Swashbucklers being able to do that isn’t all that special in hindsight.

The moral of the story is that every class has their high points and low points, and when players mix and match their combined powers, enemies can get steamrolled like it’s a casual Tuesday afternoon. And besides, if everyone’s OP, no one is.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ChaosFlashTwo912 on Aug 25, 2019 wrote:
Having played this game for a couple years (I had an older account but I forgot/lost the password to it), I believe I have enough experience to do this write up.
So let’s talk about Swashbucklers, everyone’s favorite class! Note: I’ll be using some of the basic Powers for this write-up for the sake of simplicity.

Swashbucklers are one of the more frailer classes in Pirate101, and also have a little less accuracy than others from what I’ve seen, with having some of the highest Weapon Power and Dodge to compensate for it. Stabby Weapons are interesting because they’re the type of weapon mainly known for Armor Piercing, allowing them to ignore a percentage of a target’s Armor stat (for example, the Pirate Daggers are listed as having 30% Armor Piercing. Against a target with 10 Armor, the Pirate Daggers ignore 3 Armor, meaning the target has an effective Armor stat of 7).

It’s the class’ Powers that things really start getting interesting. Sneak Attack allows the player to attack with a x2 damage multiplier. Walk in Shadows lets them be hidden for 3 turns, protecting them from being targeted and doubling the Weapon Power on their next attack. The Epics that player Swashbucklers get from Morgan LaFitte is Tier 1 of First Strike, which basically works like the Tellius games’ (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn for those not in the know) version of the Vantage skill once a turn, and the big one being Riposte, which lets them get an attack for every missed attack against them (up to 3 times). Coupled with their high Weapon Power and Dodge, Riposte goes with Swashbucklers like peanut butter and jelly.

Swashbuckler companions more often than not will have access to Riposte, and they also have the highest Weapon Power and Dodge out of any of your party members. But now comes the big question: Does this mean that Swashbucklers are the best class in the game?

Well...not really.

They’re still frail and need babying, especially when starting out and against Musketeers (Cool Ranch would like to know your location, Swashes). The strengths of a Swashbuckler is balanced out by their overall frailness, which is why playable Swashbucklers need their high Dodge to survive on Enemy Phase. They also don’t get the Agility buffs that player Musketeers get (but coupling a Swashbuckler with a friend playing Musketeer is a great idea in my books because they both benefit from Agility), which would bolster their damage output and crit chance even further. Every class has their own ways to bolster their damage and crit chance, so Swashbucklers being able to do that isn’t all that special in hindsight.

The moral of the story is that every class has their high points and low points, and when players mix and match their combined powers, enemies can get steamrolled like it’s a casual Tuesday afternoon. And besides, if everyone’s OP, no one is.
Welcome to the message boards, ChaosFlashTwo912!
Yes, swashbuckler is everyone's favorite class - to complain about! Lol! that's a fair analysation.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
Uh, what?
I adore the swashbuckler!!!
I have two and they are by far the easiest to play!!