Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Life Behind a Loading Screen: Let's make stories!

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
( OCC: I'm extremely sorry, but I must back out of this story. So many things are happening with me now, I haven't the time or energy to deal with other things. )

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Calamity hides behind the rocks with her crew, all hidden in a black fog, watching the strange pirates who put an end to their quiet shore leave. She gestures her crew to secure the crazy Monquistan, about to throw a flaming banana.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Tricky Vinnie and the weasel cry, "Parley!" The monkey and the rest of the new crew seem to have vanished, leaving their crew mates to negotiate. Vinnie asks, "What brings all of you guys here?" The weasel looks hopeful, "A cook out? BBQ?" The frog glances at him and shakes his head, "Nah, too well armed, not enough groceries. That's weasels for you, always thinking with their stomachs. So what's what here? Or should we just but out?" The weasel, nose twitching and with a worried look on his face said, "Anyone else smell cooked banana?" With a loud, "Boom, Splat!" The monkey reappears, trussed up and coated in mashed cooked banana, next to a large crab witchchdoctor looking disgusted and partially splattered with banana. Says the crab, "No sense at all, that one. I warned him." He tosses a cloud of powder at the monkey. Poof! Then he picks up and rinses off the banana coated seashell he turned the monkey into, with water from a canteen, and pops it into a pocket for safekeeping. To the others present he says, "Carry on," and the crab wipes banana off himself.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Calamity Finch on Apr 25, 2019 wrote:
Tricky Vinnie and the weasel cry, "Parley!" The monkey and the rest of the new crew seem to have vanished, leaving their crew mates to negotiate. Vinnie asks, "What brings all of you guys here?" The weasel looks hopeful, "A cook out? BBQ?" The frog glances at him and shakes his head, "Nah, too well armed, not enough groceries. That's weasels for you, always thinking with their stomachs. So what's what here? Or should we just but out?" The weasel, nose twitching and with a worried look on his face said, "Anyone else smell cooked banana?" With a loud, "Boom, Splat!" The monkey reappears, trussed up and coated in mashed cooked banana, next to a large crab witchchdoctor looking disgusted and partially splattered with banana. Says the crab, "No sense at all, that one. I warned him." He tosses a cloud of powder at the monkey. Poof! Then he picks up and rinses off the banana coated seashell he turned the monkey into, with water from a canteen, and pops it into a pocket for safekeeping. To the others present he says, "Carry on," and the crab wipes banana off himself.
(OOC: That was hilarious! Also, just so you all know, my main Ship that I use is called Elusive Enigma, but I'm using The Queen's Rose because that's her signature Ship in all of the non-public stories. )

The black-haired, emerald-eyed Swashbuckler by the name of Helpful Aurora Parker makes her way across the Haunted Graveyard, beckoning for her crew to follow. She'd heard tell of a Chicken, Rowdy Ryker, who could offer a Ship - a reasonable, nice Ship.

"Captain, I don't like this place," Sarah Steele whispers, an eerie doubt lingering in her mind.

"Me neither," Fan Flanders adds. "Gives me the creeps, it does!"

"Shh," Aurora quiets. "Just wait. Ryker's not just going to be hanging around in the graveyard, of all places. He told us he'd meet us at the docks, and we're heading there now."

"It's still creepy," Sarah mutters.

"Yes, it is a questionable place to meet," adds Contessa Argento, "but if the capitaine gets her Ship, it is worth it, no?"

Sarah just sighs as they make it to the docks, wishing they'd at least brought more than just these four crewmates.

"Howdy there," says a sudden voice.

All four crewmates jump into their fighting stances - Aurora and Fan ready their knives, and Sarah and Contessa point their swords at the source of the voice.

"Woah! Calm down - it's Ryker," exclaims the shadow that the voice came from. He takes one step farther and his cowboy hat can be seen. He takes one more step, and the moonlight shines on his face.

Yep. Definitely the Chicken.

But neither of the four drop their weapons or put them back in their scabbards.

"Seriously, girls, calm down," Ryker says. "I'm gonna lead you to the Ship at the end o' the docks. Can you see it o'er there?" He points farther down the dock, as if trying to prove the Ship offer is legitimate.

The four girls all crane their necks to see where it is.

"Where?" Sarah asks, not seeing it. But by the time the girls look back at the spot where Ryker was, Ryker was already gone.

"Oy, 'ere did tha' confounded bird go?" Fan exclaims.

Aurora raises an eyebrow. "To fly south for the winter?"

Sarah just facepalms, shaking her head while doing so.

Contessa looks the most surprised of all. "He... He promised us a Ship! Why don't we have it?"

"Easy there, Tess," Aurora replies. "He promised me a Ship. He promised you nothing."

"Wha' does tha' 'ave to do with anything?" Fan asks with an extremely confused face.

Aurora shrugs. "I have no idea. Alright, since we're here anyway, let's go eat at that Tavern. I heard they had good food."

"I'm done with Cool Ranch today, Captain!" Sarah exclaims. "We need to leave. There's just something that's not right about this place! We should head back to Skull Island immediately. Maybe Morgan LaFitte can steer us in the direction of-- Erm, Captain? Are you even listening?"

No, she isn't listening. She isn't paying attention to her crew, nor to the Tavern, because her attention is now hooked on something more exciting than either. A Weasel, a Crab and a Frog talking to another Pirate crew, by the looks of it.

Aurora takes a few steps closer to the party, hiding behind a rock.

"I think she's gone mad," Fan tells the others. "She's been like this for weeks, she 'as. Distracted... Seekin' adventure... Not even carin' 'bout 'er crew! I say we start a mutiny!"

"What?" Contessa exclaims, gasping. "Mutiny against the capitaine? How could you?"

"I think it might just be the best option," Sarah adds.

"Are you with us or are ya not?" Fan asks Contessa.

"No!" Contessa exclaims, gripping her swords just in case.

"A'ight then."

Meanwhile, Helpful Aurora Parker, is unaware of such talk of mutiny, because her green eyes are locked on the two crews and her ears are carefully trying to listen to what they're saying. Finally, she resolves she'd just ask them politely.

She takes several steps closer until she's ten feet away from them. "Excuse me... Do any of you have a ship?"

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I was in discussion with Calamity Finch. A banana disaster had just been averted by her Crab Hermit, and now we were saying hello to each other. The Weasel and the frog Tricky Vinny were immediately released back to her (but not the monkey, as it was currently a seashell in the crab's pouch). Suddenly there were startled exclamations behind us. We looked for the source and were stunned. Silent Isis and her crew were silhouetted for a moment, and then they just vanished!

It took a full two minutes to get everyone quieted down. From there we tried to investigate what happened. Rooster Cogburn kept an eagle's eye on Bosun Budd while Noble Valkoor Hawkins, Calamity Finch, and I tried to figure out what had happened. One thing was obvious almost right away: there was a strong smell of... salt!

Old Scratch: "Captain my Captain, she know about us as we know about her"

We didn't need to guess twice about who he meant. But figuring out how she did it came from someone unexpected. Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah, a Troggy who was one of Budd's best buddies, started babbling out. Still being unable to speak Trogg, I let Old Scratch translate.

"The frog say this is a banishing spell supposed to be known only to the jungle chieftains. Our enemy knows strong magics."

"Excuse me... do any of you have a ship?"

A girl. Another person. This is getting to be a very strange day.

Ratbeard: "Arr, where did you spring from? Do we look like ship sellers?"

Girl: "Sorry, I thought you might know something. I'm Helpful Aurora Parker, by the way"

From there, we went to even more introductions. our three crews meet hers, that sort of thing. But I do notice that her crew seems quite upset about something... I think it better not to ask.

(Next up, we'll finally uncork that bottle in the graveyard!)

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Calamity Finch says, " Pleased to meet you all. A ship, huh? I'm in, for a share of the cargo and loot; I have enough ships myself. Anne, take care of that favor for Captain Reynolds with the rest of the crew, Fannie will back you as usual. OK, my squad, Vinnie, Stinky Logan, Black Will..." The frog, weasel and crab fall in line.

"You, Emmett Miller' A tall chicken saunters over and tips his hardhat. "Dead Eye Cullian." An elegant horse prances over, spins and bows. Finch looks around and shouts, "Alvar!" When no one appears, Finch looks VERY worried. "Where's Crazy Alvar?"
"It's safe Captain, I have him," Black Will replies patting his pouch. Finch nods and is about to order Anne to set sail when an armored pig from Mooshu also falls into line. Finch stares at him and he stares back.

Finch:"Do you know what they say about the wise captain?"
Vinnie answers, "She never gives an order she knows will be disobeyed."
Finch winks at her crew and says, "Fine, Lightening Blade, you're in."

The ninja pig's eyes twinkle back at her as he salutes and bows.
Finch turns and salutes, "Ready for orders, Commodore Ornsley."

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Calamity Finch on May 1, 2019 wrote:
Calamity Finch says, " Pleased to meet you all. A ship, huh? I'm in, for a share of the cargo and loot; I have enough ships myself. Anne, take care of that favor for Captain Reynolds with the rest of the crew, Fannie will back you as usual. OK, my squad, Vinnie, Stinky Logan, Black Will..." The frog, weasel and crab fall in line.

"You, Emmett Miller' A tall chicken saunters over and tips his hardhat. "Dead Eye Cullian." An elegant horse prances over, spins and bows. Finch looks around and shouts, "Alvar!" When no one appears, Finch looks VERY worried. "Where's Crazy Alvar?"
"It's safe Captain, I have him," Black Will replies patting his pouch. Finch nods and is about to order Anne to set sail when an armored pig from Mooshu also falls into line. Finch stares at him and he stares back.

Finch:"Do you know what they say about the wise captain?"
Vinnie answers, "She never gives an order she knows will be disobeyed."
Finch winks at her crew and says, "Fine, Lightening Blade, you're in."

The ninja pig's eyes twinkle back at her as he salutes and bows.
Finch turns and salutes, "Ready for orders, Commodore Ornsley."
Calamity Finch had just given some orders to her crew. Most of them were just departing to deal with some important errand, while Tricky Vinny, the weasel and crab fall stay with us, along with a chicken miner, a horse toreador, the monkey (who was in the process of turning back from a seashell), and a ninja pig. I began to explain to her, Helpful Aurora Parker, and Noble Valkoor Hawkins exactly what led me here, telling them the rumors about the Salt Witch, showing them the message Budd coughed up, and explaining that there was another in the graveyard. Helpful Aurora Parker then explained what brought her here, before Rooster Cogburn interrupted.

"Whoa, stop a moment! You say there was a chicken here offering a ship? But there was no chicken back there, there are none on this island, aside from me, my friend Bob Eastwood here, and that miner miss Finch has. There was no Rowdy Ryker, something doesn't add up."

Monkey King: "I agree, there's not much reason for a merchant to be here, aside from not being a merchant, or having a fancy with old places."

I begin to think we shouldn't stay here longer than necessary. We all agree to dig up that buried message in the graveyard. It takes a couple minutes of careful digging, but we get it out.

Ratbeard (holding the bottle): "Aye, now let's see what this... Argh!"

A frog had snatched the bottle out of Ratbeard's hand! She was running away with a mouse fencer! They seemed to make a getaway, with us in pursuit.

Suddenly there are clashing blades ahead of us. The frog and mouse are engaged in battle with a Unicorn. With surprising speed she disarms the two and knocks them to the ground.

We catch up to the site and inspect what happened. Then Aurora cries out.

"Fan! Sarah? What... What happened?"

Contessa Argento: "I don't understand it either, Capitan. They were talking of mutiny! Wait, they're coming to!"

Fan: "Uuggh... what? How did i get here? Last thing I remember was that... that chicken Ryker."

Rooster Cogburn: "This Ryker again! Captain, I don't like what's happening here."

Old Scratch: "Neither do I. They been mesmerized, Captain my Captain Now they break free."

Sarah Steele: "All I remember is Ryker, too. I say we open that bottle and get out of here!"

I agree in an instant. Taking the cork off the bottle, the message reads as such:

"Bosun Budd, I leave this here because ... come in person. Hopefully you find it. Fort McMurtry is still standing, you... bring it down. The Darkmoor ship is a fine tool, I'm... got it, but not glad you're the one steering it. The boat is hidden in a bottle on... Rock. I hope you... brains to steer the thing. The Captain will punish you if you crash it!

The note was unsigned.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
We were studying the letter, trying to get as much information as we could. While not easy with Bosun Budd and his new friend, S. M. Arson from Valkoor's crew, playing Clang the Sword, we did our best. However, there was one important part that was missing.

Clang!

Ratbeard: "Confound it! The blasted note doesn't tell us where the ship is! Why did that part have to fade away?"

Clang!

Rooster Cogburn: "Don't work yourself up, we've still got a clue! It says that ship's on a rock. But which rock?

CLANG!

Old Scratch: "I know who may know. We go-"

CLANG!

"-Isla de los Muertos and-"

CLANG!!

Ratbeard: "ARGH! I'VE HAD ENOUGH!"

Madly rushing at Budd and S. M. Arson, he take a wild swing with his sword. With the loudest CLANG yet, he thrust both of their swords hard into the ground. After looking sad for a moment, the two start throwing dust and starfish at each other, which was thankfully much quieter.

Ratbeard: "Alright, what were ye saying?"

Old Scratch: "I think we go to the horse Esmerelda, on the Isla de los Muertos. She guide us on right path to this ship."

I think it sounds like a sound idea. I order the crew to prepare to set sail, and Valkoor, Calamity Finch, and Aurora prepare to do the same. Everyone had had enough of this abandoned churchyard.

SMACK!

And that's without having starfish thrown in our faces. Icky...

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Before boarding, Calamity Finch whispered to the other captains, "If this doesn't work out, I know a science dog in Isle of Dogs that owes me a favor. He might be able to analyze the paper and bring out more of the message. The only problem is if he finds something, we'll have to bring him along and keep an eye on him so he doesn't blab to anyone else. The last thing we need is everyone in the spiral in a race for the ship, so we show it to him only if absolutely necessary." As they parted, she called to her friend Aurora,"Okay if we sail with you? Thanks." She vaulted the rail, while the rest of her crew sauntered up the gangplank.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Okay, it's been a little while, so let's keep going with this story!

CHAPTER 2
Noble Valkoor Hawkins, Calamity Finch, Helpful Aurora Parker and I have left that abandoned churchyard behind us (thank goodness), and were now setting sail to the Isla de los Muertos. I was thinking about the note we found, which at the moment Wing Chun was showing to Bosun Budd.
Wing Chun: "What do you think of this message?"
Bosun Budd: "Crinkly?"
Wing Chun: No, the message! What rock is it on?"
Bosun Budd points at a cannonball.
Wing Chun: 'half exasperated' "No! An island! What island? Speak!"
Bosun Budd moves as if to say something, then coughs up a large starfish.
Wing Chun: "That mound is like what he eats!" I don't know where this rock is, Captain"
Monkey King: "That's too bad. At least this Esmerelda might know. Mystics always know things."
Lucky Jack Russel: "It looks like we'll find out soon enough. We're almost there!"

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
After an amazingly uneventful cruise, everyone arrives at Isla de los Muertos. No one was even boarded boarded by sky rattlers or batacuda, except for the witchdoctor's familiar. One of the crews was seen giving Bosun Budd an involuntary bath on the way, by putting him in the scuppers with the hosepipe on him, though. That brave crew was given 3 cheers by the rest.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
"I know already what you came for" Madame Esmerelda said as we approached her. "You seek the answers to finding the rising of an old enemy, and racing to a vessel unknown to all but he who has forgotten it."

Monkey King: "See? I told you mystics know things."

"So Budd does know where this ship is?" I asked.

"I never said that" Esmerelda replied. "What I did say was that it was unknown to all."

Gracie Conrad: "Unknown to all... I know! The Salt Witch doesn't know where it is either!"

Madame Esmerelda: "Very good. Now, let me draw the cards..."

After divining the chosen cards (which is a fancy way of saying shuffling the deck), she draws forth a single card. On it, there shows a single path splitting into two, smaller paths. On it are inscribed the words:

The Parting of Ways

"Your party as it is can do more separate than together." Esmerelda said. "The Parting of Ways says that this will be so."

She than proceeded to draw again. This time she drew two cards, and dropped them on the table. Facing me and Calamity Finch was a card with a book and quill on it. This one had the word:

Knowledge

Facing Valkoor and Aurora was a card with an eye on it, that seemed as if it were looking for something. On it was the word:

Sight

"The people to the right of me will go to learn. The people to the left of me will go to search."

Than came another card. It had a pile of salt on it. We didn't need Esmerelda to tell us what that meant, and, as Monkey King said, "It was bound to happen sooner or later. At least we know for sure, right?"

"Precisely." Esmerelda said. "Now for the final card..."

As she said this, she was drawing another card. She laid it down on the table and looked at it.

"The Parting of Ways, this time backwards. Your seperate paths will join again, at the end of your goings. Now depart, and find what you seek!"

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Having given our thanks to Mademe Esmerelda, we figure out what the meaning of what she told us said. Judging from what was told to us, we were to split into two smaller parties. Calamity Finch and I would go to learn something, and Valkoor and Aurora would go to search for something.

Gracie Conrad: "Oh, good! I always enjoy learning something new. What do you think it'll be?"

Ratbeard: "I dunno, but methinks the treasure be on Scorpion Rock. There's so many bugs that no-one would ever go in there!"

Gracie Conrad: "And what does that have do do with literature?"

Ratbeard: "Litter what now? But I say that this searchin' is for that boat we're after. Scorpion Rock would be the perfect place for that!"

Bonnie Anne: "Hmm, you might be on to something. But we aren't the ones who will be searching. We're learning."

Louis le Bisque: "Yes, we are. And we know some who can teach us what to learn, no? I think Desmond will help us here. Now we sail!"

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Calamity Finch turns to Ornsley, "So Commodore, that was an eventful foretelling. I have a few thoughts; we could visit the monks at the library in Mooshu and see what they know, or check the tomes in the Ulpian Library for clues, or visit my scientist friend in Marleybone. I'd rather avoid Delphi, if we can. The cost there is always far more than you expect, and you never know what their answers mean until it's all over, and you found out for yourself anyway. It's your ship and your mission though, so I leave it to you to set the course." She glances over at her crew and calls, "Belay that, Alvar! Mr. Miller, seize that monkey!" The lanky chicken reaches out and grabs the crazy monkey, () who was following after Aurora with flowers and a box of chocolate, and looked to be about to stow away on her ship. "Just what we need, a love sick monkey. Sorry, Aurora!"

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Nurse Quinn delivers a steaming cup of Zeke's Eye-popin' Coffee to help Commordore Ornsley to help him stay awake on the cruise.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Oh no, Zeke's coffee didn't work! The Commodore fell asleep at the wheel and Crazy Alvar took over. "What are we doing in Avernus?", asks Bonnie Anne. Calamity, 'Getting attacked by bone dragons that's what. ALL HANDS ON DECK!" A fierce fight erupts, as crew pile out on deck, and battle ensues.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Calamity Finch on Jul 12, 2019 wrote:
Oh no, Zeke's coffee didn't work! The Commodore fell asleep at the wheel and Crazy Alvar took over. "What are we doing in Avernus?", asks Bonnie Anne. Calamity, 'Getting attacked by bone dragons that's what. ALL HANDS ON DECK!" A fierce fight erupts, as crew pile out on deck, and battle ensues.
Okay, okay! Sorry! I've been really busy lately! Fight off the Bone Dragons! Eep Opp Ork 'gasp' Ah-Ah, do the inexplicable rewind!

(One inexplicable rewind later...)

We were all making our final preparation before we sat sail. Aurora and Valkoor to Scorpion Rock to search for signs of the ship, and Calamity Finch and I to learn something that might help us. I wondered what we might learn that would help us. I also silently wondered what had become of Silent Isis. Much time had passed since the Salt Witch banished her. Where was she now? She came with an offer to help. Could she still perhaps do so in some way?

'CRASH'

Everyone around turned, startled at the sudden sound. And what we saw was... Ratbeard, a broken crate near his legs, gushing out glass shards, and a foamy, blue substance.

And Bosun Budd, standing right in front of him.

Looking like his beard's standing on end, but managing to keep his composure, Ratbeard slowly turned to face Bosun Budd.

"You, you... that was me best crate o' Yum!!"

Bosun Buud stand there, uncomprehensive.

"Do ye hear me? That was me best yum! Now there's only one bottle left!" he said, pulling one survivor out of the wreckage.

Snatching it up with startling speed, Bosun Budd got his chubby hands on the bottle.

"Hehehehe, best crate o' yum."

"Wait, stop, DON'T YOU-"

Bosun Budd uncorks the bottle and drinks the whole thing in three big gulps

Trembling, looking ready to lash out, Ratbeard stands as still as a statue. He manages to remain that way all while Bonnie Anne moves him toward and onto the Mystic Protector and under the deck. As soon as the door is closed behind him, though, there is excessive amounts of loud outbursts from the cabin, all of them criticizing Budd and lamenting the loss of his Yum. Bonnie Anne turns towards the four of us.

Bonnie Anne: "I don't see why he has to make a fuss about it, he's got eleven more hidden in the hull. Anyway, we're all set to go, are you four Captains ready?"

Holding back giggles, we slowly nod.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
"Aye, Aye," from Calamity as she scrambles up the rat line to the main sail yard arm. Black Will Tew, the crab hermit approaches the troggie, "Ah, Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah, might you be teaching me that spell?"

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
(Aurora, you're on your own seperate branch of story now. Do what you like with it!)

Eyes were watching from a deep chamber, watching the four ships and crew split apart into two, smaller parties. The eyes watched with interest.

"This is good", their owner said. "Very good indeed. Before there were too many. Banishing that witch was risky enough, there were so many. And that blubbery turncoat is more than at first glance. But now? Now they've gone and split apart."

"Perhaps I might be able to cause some mischief..."

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
*gasp* a cliffhanger

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
Unbeknownst to them, the crazy but formidable crew of the famed Fair Taryn Lewis creates such a ruckus that you can hear it from Skull Island!

Just kidding

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
glitterway123 on Jul 31, 2019 wrote:
Unbeknownst to them, the crazy but formidable crew of the famed Fair Taryn Lewis creates such a ruckus that you can hear it from Skull Island!

Just kidding
Old Scratch, in the galley, cooking...something...pauses, "What be that?" Black Will Tew looks at Scratch. "I hear it too. A disturbance." The crab chants something in Crustacian. "Whatever is causing it, it will cross Aurora's path." "Be it for good or ill?" "Too soon to say."

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
Calamity Finch on Oct 11, 2019 wrote:
Old Scratch, in the galley, cooking...something...pauses, "What be that?" Black Will Tew looks at Scratch. "I hear it too. A disturbance." The crab chants something in Crustacian. "Whatever is causing it, it will cross Aurora's path." "Be it for good or ill?" "Too soon to say."
Old Scratch and Black Will speak wise words...

Petty Officer
Feb 06, 2018
"i'm bored " said egg shen "how about kung fu martial arts " said bonnie anne '' no" said egg shen ingnoring him "well '' said me ''how about aha ...no'' ''i'll do kung fu ''

the end...?

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
skywayprivateer on Oct 18, 2019 wrote:
"i'm bored " said egg shen "how about kung fu martial arts " said bonnie anne '' no" said egg shen ingnoring him "well '' said me ''how about aha ...no'' ''i'll do kung fu ''

the end...?
Okay, okay! I'll continue!

Chapter 3.

The Silver Spur in Cooper's Roost was busy as usual. Most of the town residents, taking their noontime break from work, had come in for a good bite to eat. The blacksmith talked with the miller, the foreman was sharing a joke with Dr. Coop, and the pianist was playing a classic song for everyone present. That was the scene I came upon when I entered.

Almost instantly, a couple heads turned. Naturally, they would. I WAS the one who defeated Captain Blood. My reputation as a keeper of peace had grown legendary. But they didn't question my motives.

I turned to the spot where Desmond Argleston usually sat... and he wasn't there. I could almost hear Ratbeard behind me thinking; "Of course he isn't there! Naturally, when we need him to!"

I turned to the tavernkeep and asked "Excuse me, is Desmond in here today?"

"Oh, not today." he responded. "Everyone in a while he stays in his house to read books. If you need him, his house is outside of town; just keep going down the path by the silver mine, you can't miss it!"