Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Renaming characters

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
Something incredibly simple but also greatly needed in my opinion; renaming your character. I unfortunately created my character years ago and misread my name, not realizing it until months later. I'm almost done with my playthrough so I don't feel like starting all over again. I emailed KI support and was told it was impossible, and I'm now left extremely upset. Can we please have the option? It would benefit thousands in the same situation as me.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
You do have another five character slots to use. Creating a new character is actually a lot of fun. In addition to choosing a name you prefer over your current one, you can choose a completely different way to play, you can opt to do/not do side quests, use a combo weapon instead of your class main weapon, you can use different crewmates on your journey. Different classes of pirate do completely different quests, so it wouldn't be exactly the same your second time through.

Rather than asking for something impossible to change, perhaps take a deep breath and embrace the possible.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
jamual heath on Dec 20, 2018 wrote:
Something incredibly simple but also greatly needed in my opinion; renaming your character. I unfortunately created my character years ago and misread my name, not realizing it until months later. I'm almost done with my playthrough so I don't feel like starting all over again. I emailed KI support and was told it was impossible, and I'm now left extremely upset. Can we please have the option? It would benefit thousands in the same situation as me.
You don't have to delete your old pirate, but you have six slots, so you can make a totally different pirate and use the name you like!
However, I do agree that a single name change ( for crowns ) ought to be allowed. Otherwise, pirates would be renaming themselves every week.
Or, perhaps, KI can add a warning: "You have chosen ____ as your name. It will not be possible to change this name, are your sure you want this name?" then the option of "Yar" or "Nar" ( which will bring back the name menu ).

P.S.: is that name very terrible?

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I am afraid they are right. It would be near-impossible to do. It would get into the very heart of the game's coding and mess everything up. However, having the option to do that for companions with randomized names would be nice.

Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2013
Renaming your character would be nice, and I wonder why Kingsisle says it would be impossible.
I hope that all it means is that they are working on bigger things, such as an new world.
Or perhaps they think that if they allow pirates to rename characters, we will beg them to be able to choose a new land of origin, which can mess up our pirates companions and skills.

Morgan

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
The Stalwart Queen on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
Renaming your character would be nice, and I wonder why Kingsisle says it would be impossible.
I hope that all it means is that they are working on bigger things, such as an new world.
Or perhaps they think that if they allow pirates to rename characters, we will beg them to be able to choose a new land of origin, which can mess up our pirates companions and skills.

Morgan
I'd be a fan of letting us change our land of origin, since that has an effect on our characters and there's no way to fix that. It would probably be too much of a headache to change our pirate's class, and you can buy a different Presidio companion from the Crown Shop. But if you pick something bad like Mooshu for your origin, you can either reroll or grin and bear it. I'd think it would be relatively easy to change since it's not linked to a lot of other things, just a single talent your pirate has.

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
I think everyone is missing the point. I don't have that much time on my hands anymore, I can't make a new character even though I want to, part of growing up I guess. And when they say "impossible" I am 99.9% sure they mean "there isn't enough demand for it, so not yet." coming from someone who has a computer background it's surely not impossible. It would work just like the flag change, for a small fee of crowns it could be changed. I highly doubt too many people would utilize it within the first place. I would absolutely love a magic mirror like update, it surely is an essential in my opinion.

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
Willowydream on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
You do have another five character slots to use. Creating a new character is actually a lot of fun. In addition to choosing a name you prefer over your current one, you can choose a completely different way to play, you can opt to do/not do side quests, use a combo weapon instead of your class main weapon, you can use different crewmates on your journey. Different classes of pirate do completely different quests, so it wouldn't be exactly the same your second time through.

Rather than asking for something impossible to change, perhaps take a deep breath and embrace the possible.

I agree, making a new character is heaps of fun. on Quinn I mostly used my best companions, but now, I'm using more fun teams! For example, Dante has a Cool Ranch gang kind of vibe, with Tyson, the Chicken Ranger and Lefty. Playing the game on a new character can make you play it in unique ways, as if your character is a different kind of person entirely!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
jamual heath on Dec 22, 2018 wrote:
I think everyone is missing the point. I don't have that much time on my hands anymore, I can't make a new character even though I want to, part of growing up I guess. And when they say "impossible" I am 99.9% sure they mean "there isn't enough demand for it, so not yet." coming from someone who has a computer background it's surely not impossible. It would work just like the flag change, for a small fee of crowns it could be changed. I highly doubt too many people would utilize it within the first place. I would absolutely love a magic mirror like update, it surely is an essential in my opinion.
I don't think we missed your point so much as we were trying to help you avoid being upset playing on a character whose name you did not like.

I'm not sure what the time constraint would be as to leveling up a new character versus continuing to play on the one you are unhappy with? A second character can get through quests faster if you have provided him/her with gear from the shared bank, and are already familiar with how to train companions and pets, etc.

My point was to focus on what was immediately available to you rather than focusing on a maybe someday update.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
jamual heath on Dec 22, 2018 wrote:
Yours is not the first post asking for this, many really want to change names and appearance, if KI is saying "no", there must be a good reason to deny it.
Changing appearance doesn't change narrative or companion recruits the way an origin or class change would.

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
anecorbie on Dec 22, 2018 wrote:
Yours is not the first post asking for this, many really want to change names and appearance, if KI is saying "no", there must be a good reason to deny it.
Changing appearance doesn't change narrative or companion recruits the way an origin or class change would.
I think the main reason is lore problems- Wizards obviously have tons of magic on their end so using magic to change someone's appearance or name is no big deal. But with Pirates, we have a limited access/knowledge of magic and mostly use our own hoodoo kind of magic. So how would a Pirate manage it?

My guess is that if we were ever able to change our names the most logical reason besides magic is that we could go to Swidget in Marleybone and do some kind of legal hullabaloo, but KI must have a better reason they don't want such a feature in game besides lore. I think OP is better off just dealing with the name they have - it's a small price for a maxed-out pirate.

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
Uh nevermind then. As stated, I can't play Pirate101 if I don't have the time to play the game over again. I'd rather go outside. I'm an older player too. Those are boundaries I can't cross, so unfortunately my character will remain, but I'll deal with it. And I wouldn't go way into depth about lore, it is a kids game based around magic, anything can happen.