Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Return of the Fashionista Pirata

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I think it's time to re-introduce a subject that has passed from these boards: the fact that there are almost NO options for feminine clothes in this game.
Yet we have female companions wearing gowns.
Surely, wearing a dress or gown doesn't prevent you from engaging in strenuous activities ( I used to belong to an historical re-enactment group and many of our female fighters wore ankle length dresses, I, myself, danced in full Elizabethan gowns without difficulty & and most of those dances weren't sedate. ) I know for a fact that a dress doesn't hinder free movement.
I have worn Lo Pan's robe and it didn't affect the animation of my attacks, therefore a dress can be created for this game without requiring new animations.
All I'm asking is for more feminine options in fashion because we're not all guys.

And maybe some of the guys would like more "dashing" options as well.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I agree - I have stitched most of my females into the early Pirate gear where there were options for skirts, but Cool Ranch, Monquista, Valencia, and even Aquila lack feminine outfit options. LESS ARMOR, more options.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Many of the clothes worn by our female crew could be made for our pirate characters. I would love to dress as Contessa Argento or Mustang Sally ( and her shirt can be redone so that it covers the shoulders and collar bone, for those who object to skin showing ).
I would love for my Witchdoctor to dress as Nadya the Gypsy or ( maybe ) Nurse Quinn's uniform. But how about NPCs and their clothes? I adore the unicorn ladies 16th century style gowns, I really, really want one. I would spend CROWNS for such a gown!
Anyone else have a preference?

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
I would argue there is just simply a lack of gear variety overall. Each world only has about 3 to 6 different "outfits" to mix and match with.

....and then there are virtually no bundles/packs to pick up the slack.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 20, 2018 wrote:
Many of the clothes worn by our female crew could be made for our pirate characters. I would love to dress as Contessa Argento or Mustang Sally ( and her shirt can be redone so that it covers the shoulders and collar bone, for those who object to skin showing ).
I would love for my Witchdoctor to dress as Nadya the Gypsy or ( maybe ) Nurse Quinn's uniform. But how about NPCs and their clothes? I adore the unicorn ladies 16th century style gowns, I really, really want one. I would spend CROWNS for such a gown!
Anyone else have a preference?
I would definitely go for a nurse Quinn outfit, but I must have the Queen's outfit as the ultimate Victorian setting outfit in either Pirate or Wizard.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Oran from Urz on Oct 21, 2018 wrote:
I would definitely go for a nurse Quinn outfit, but I must have the Queen's outfit as the ultimate Victorian setting outfit in either Pirate or Wizard.
Well, Queen's gown isn't Victorian ( although I can see why some make that mistake ) it's actually Georgian; mid to late 1700s. I do agree it would look marvelous on our pirates.
I was also wondering if we could get some of those attractive wigs from W101.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
I so totally agree! I do think the detail on the pirates outfits are amazing but I do think we need some variety especially for female characters

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Oran from Urz on Oct 20, 2018 wrote:
I would argue there is just simply a lack of gear variety overall. Each world only has about 3 to 6 different "outfits" to mix and match with.

....and then there are virtually no bundles/packs to pick up the slack.
Not going to argue with you there.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I am not, in any way, a "girly" girl, but I'd love to be able to dress up at least a couple of my female pirates in more feminine togs. Just because we're piratical orphans doesn't mean we can't look nice!

(And given we're piratical orphans, why on Earth did KI let pass a perfectly good opportunity to make reference to Pirates of Penzance when we hit Port Regal?)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Oct 24, 2018 wrote:
I am not, in any way, a "girly" girl, but I'd love to be able to dress up at least a couple of my female pirates in more feminine togs. Just because we're piratical orphans doesn't mean we can't look nice!

(And given we're piratical orphans, why on Earth did KI let pass a perfectly good opportunity to make reference to Pirates of Penzance when we hit Port Regal?)
They did, with the quest: "With Cat-Like Tread" Plus the fact that the governor is specifically called "a Major General" ( although to be more true to "Pirates of Penzance", he ought to be a "modern" Major General ) and his daughter's name is "Mabel".

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Oct 24, 2018 wrote:
They did, with the quest: "With Cat-Like Tread" Plus the fact that the governor is specifically called "a Major General" ( although to be more true to "Pirates of Penzance", he ought to be a "modern" Major General ) and his daughter's name is "Mabel".
But given the entire hook to Pirates is they're all orphans, it seems like we could have had a more amusing adventure. Mabel the Major General's daughter was, to be honest, a bit of a ditz, more of a Phyllis than a Mabel. Using the titles of the songs doesn't, in my not so humble opinion, count.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Oct 25, 2018 wrote:
But given the entire hook to Pirates is they're all orphans, it seems like we could have had a more amusing adventure. Mabel the Major General's daughter was, to be honest, a bit of a ditz, more of a Phyllis than a Mabel. Using the titles of the songs doesn't, in my not so humble opinion, count.
Although I would like to continue this conversation ( you know me, can't resist a good debate ). I would prefer that we stuck to the subject of this thread.
I wish that we did have more options of fashions. Even though W101 is older, I feel we could get more feminine clothes for our girl pirates and maybe more "rakish" or "dashing" garb for our boy pirates.
For instance, we ought to have the Armada Elite clothes. Only Rooke drops a nearly complete outfit. Our fight with Deacon was disappointing in regard to gear drops. Kane should certainly have dropped his coat. And, even though we didn't fight Phule, his jester's wand ( ninny stick ) and mask are available as drops.
Our bundles don't give an option of a truly unique look ( with the exception of the HooDoo Bundle ). I wish our future bundles could give us something amazing to wear.
SIGH there's nothing to feed my fashionista soul...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wouldn't some boy pirates like to dress like the Cat Pirate from the Boochbeard Bundle or maybe like Felix in Undertown?
What about dressing like our trainers? W101 had a pack where you had the chance of dressing like the Professors of Ravenwood. We ought to get a pack like that here!
So many bundles of W101 feature styles that you don't see anywhere else in the Bazaar or as boss drops - I think we're deserving of a few unique, unusual styles of our own! ( be it bundle, pack, Crown shop or even the Black Market, we do need new inventory in the BM. )

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
I think Lucy Laverne would look awesome in a ballgown

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I'd like to see updated versions of the dresses available in Wizard101's Marleybone as well as some new designs specifically for pirates. While Misty the player (me) and Misty the character are not a fan of dresses, my other gals certainly are and would look lovely!

I'd also like to see the trainers' gear available, especially if it was dyeable - Misty the character might be convinced to change out of the look she's had since 2014 if she could dress like Morgan Lafitte or in a less loud version of the cat pirates' gear. I sure love Captain Swing, but that purple and orange is not easy on the eyes.

An expansion to black market gear would be really nice, too. It might motivate more scrip-hunting parties!

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 25, 2018 wrote:
Although I would like to continue this conversation ( you know me, can't resist a good debate ). I would prefer that we stuck to the subject of this thread.
I wish that we did have more options of fashions. Even though W101 is older, I feel we could get more feminine clothes for our girl pirates and maybe more "rakish" or "dashing" garb for our boy pirates.
For instance, we ought to have the Armada Elite clothes. Only Rooke drops a nearly complete outfit. Our fight with Deacon was disappointing in regard to gear drops. Kane should certainly have dropped his coat. And, even though we didn't fight Phule, his jester's wand ( ninny stick ) and mask are available as drops.
Our bundles don't give an option of a truly unique look ( with the exception of the HooDoo Bundle ). I wish our future bundles could give us something amazing to wear.
SIGH there's nothing to feed my fashionista soul...
I want Bishops Robe >u>

Also Eagle Claw Gi makes for a great dress, my Swashbuckler wears it.

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
MistyDragon13 on Oct 29, 2018 wrote:
I'd like to see updated versions of the dresses available in Wizard101's Marleybone as well as some new designs specifically for pirates. While Misty the player (me) and Misty the character are not a fan of dresses, my other gals certainly are and would look lovely!

I'd also like to see the trainers' gear available, especially if it was dyeable - Misty the character might be convinced to change out of the look she's had since 2014 if she could dress like Morgan Lafitte or in a less loud version of the cat pirates' gear. I sure love Captain Swing, but that purple and orange is not easy on the eyes.

An expansion to black market gear would be really nice, too. It might motivate more scrip-hunting parties!
Isn't Morgan a racoon?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Amber hawksong on Dec 26, 2018 wrote:
Isn't Morgan a racoon?
She is a Racoon, but she wears a most "dashing" swashbuckler's outfit - I would definitely want to wear it!

Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2013
New pack ideas?:

The Gentlemen and Ladies Hoard pack:
Chances to win:

MOUNTS: 7 day and permanent
A dashing black horse hooking up to cart with a small carriage behind. You can invite one of your friends to ride in the back, and you are upfront like the stagecoach man.
AND
An elegant umbrella that carries you around Mary Poppins style.

WEAPONS:
An old pistol, very similar to the musketeer sign
A decorated military sword, with tassels and such.
A beautiful old handheld telescope: players whack enemies head with it.
An old voodoo doll: to attack, players hold it out in their hand and make a fingers wavy motion at it.

GEAR:
The Gentleman's Top Hat: An elegant top hat, not just recolored from the ones we have now. Gives a small power, like 10% heal and when you use the card it gives you, the players bows and tips his hat.
The Gentleman's Kit: A fancy button up long jacket with a vest visible underneath (vest is secondary color), and long pants.Not sure about what else they can do with this one, leave more comments below!
The Gentleman's Boots: Shiny Old leather boots the go slightly above the ankle and lace all the way up. Have a small heel. Not sure what else.
The Ladies Felt Boaters Hat: A cute little hat that has a fancy band and feather (Secondary and third colors). Maybe gives a power like Peace?
The Ladies Gown: Super fancy, includes white gloves. Frills, ruffles, lace, the whole nine yards(of cloth)
The Ladies Boots: Very similar to the Gentleman's boots. A little lace and frills at the top, with a little bit thinner heels.
HOUSING ITEMS: Marleybonian housing items.

COMPANIONS:
Greyhound Companion: Very similar to Admiral Nelson. or
Corgi Companion: Florence? Female
Otter Companion:
White Fox Companion:

So, what do you think? What would you add? Hey, it may never happen, but we can always dream. Kingsisle has listened to us in the past!
Morgan

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
The Stalwart Queen on Dec 29, 2018 wrote:
New pack ideas?:

Chances to win:

A dashing black horse hooking up to cart with a small carriage behind. You can invite one of your friends to ride in the back, and you are upfront like the stagecoach man.
AND

WEAPONS:
An old voodoo doll: to attack, players hold it out in their hand and make a fingers wavy motion at it.

GEAR:
The Gentleman's Top Hat: An elegant top hat, not just recolored from the ones we have now. Gives a small power, like 10% heal and when you use the card it gives you, the players bows and tips his hat.
The Gentleman's Kit: A fancy button up long jacket with a vest visible underneath (vest is secondary color), and long pants.Not sure about what else they can do with this one, leave more comments below!
The Gentleman's Boots: Shiny Old leather boots the go slightly above the ankle and lace all the way up. Have a small heel. Not sure what else.
The Ladies Felt Boaters Hat: A cute little hat that has a fancy band and feather (Secondary and third colors). Maybe gives a power like Peace?
The Ladies Gown: Super fancy, includes white gloves. Frills, ruffles, lace, the whole nine yards(of cloth)
The Ladies Boots: Very similar to the Gentleman's boots. A little lace and frills at the top, with a little bit thinner heels.

COMPANIONS:
Otter Companion:
White Fox Companion:

So, what do you think? What would you add? Hey, it may never happen, but we can always dream. Kingsisle has listened to us in the past!
Morgan
It sounds pretty good, except the voodoo doll weapon for the witchdoctor. I'd just change the attack animation to sticking it with a pin.

Lady pirates certainly need some boost to our wardrobe! I'm tired of looking like a guy most of the time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Stalwart Queen on Dec 29, 2018 wrote:
New pack ideas?:

Chances to win:

AND

WEAPONS:

GEAR:

COMPANIONS:
Otter Companion:
White Fox Companion:

Morgan
I like this! I most particularly like the two player carriage mount and simply LOVE the "Mary Poppins" umbrella.
( I once suggested a Kite mount inspired by that movie! )
Why not another Cat companion, instead of a Corgi? ( Can't have too many cats, imo. )
If we go to Polaris, then having a White Fox musketeer companion would be better.
I love both the Gentleman's & Lady's Attire

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 19, 2018 wrote:
I think it's time to re-introduce a subject that has passed from these boards: the fact that there are almost NO options for feminine clothes in this game.
Yet we have female companions wearing gowns.
Surely, wearing a dress or gown doesn't prevent you from engaging in strenuous activities ( I used to belong to an historical re-enactment group and many of our female fighters wore ankle length dresses, I, myself, danced in full Elizabethan gowns without difficulty & and most of those dances weren't sedate. ) I know for a fact that a dress doesn't hinder free movement.
I have worn Lo Pan's robe and it didn't affect the animation of my attacks, therefore a dress can be created for this game without requiring new animations.
All I'm asking is for more feminine options in fashion because we're not all guys.

And maybe some of the guys would like more "dashing" options as well.
Yeessss!

Mind you, I am fond of those 18th C. style gentleman's suits (frockcoat, waistcoat, breeches - of course nice shirt underneath) which manage to look dashing on everyone - males or females, but often I do want to dress more 'girly'. I've found nice MooShu options (and my witchdoctor has found more options with fetching grass skirts and the like) that are graceful and feminine. Right now Anne is enjoying a quite feminine option of the 'Nuoro Mantle' (witchdoctor, I think... I stitched it to a swashbuckler suit) which has some details to make me happily imagine a 'brunswick' jacket - part of a stylish 2-piece outfit for 18th C. women. Anne also wears a turban with this ensemble, which was very stylish for European women in the late 18th - early 19th C.

I think the designers for Pirate 101 have done an exceptionally fine job on clothing (and I want to especially point out the lace on Milo's shirt after his advancement - so nice!). Still, I would dearly love to see gowns as options. It would very much add to the right 'look' of the Pirate101 world as well. Like anecorbie I have worked and played in period gowns, stays, multiple layers and all, and love the clothes in real life.

As a modern fictional look at a girl and her adventures wearing court gowns (of all things), I recommend the Palace of Spies trilogy (Sarah Zettle). No pirates, but plenty of adventures, and the author understands these clothes very well.

And a final note: while working women of the Age of Pirates did not wear the stiffest stays of the aristocracy, and their petticoats were generally not nearly to the ankle, I will point out that the height of courtly female fashion does not hamper Kane's second-in-command, Queen, in the least.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Jan 8, 2019 wrote:
Yeessss!

Mind you, I am fond of those 18th C. style gentleman's suits (frockcoat, waistcoat, breeches - of course nice shirt underneath) which manage to look dashing on everyone - males or females, but often I do want to dress more 'girly'. I've found nice MooShu options (and my witchdoctor has found more options with fetching grass skirts and the like) that are graceful and feminine. Right now Anne is enjoying a quite feminine option of the 'Nuoro Mantle' (witchdoctor, I think... I stitched it to a swashbuckler suit) which has some details to make me happily imagine a 'brunswick' jacket - part of a stylish 2-piece outfit for 18th C. women. Anne also wears a turban with this ensemble, which was very stylish for European women in the late 18th - early 19th C.

I think the designers for Pirate 101 have done an exceptionally fine job on clothing (and I want to especially point out the lace on Milo's shirt after his advancement - so nice!). Still, I would dearly love to see gowns as options. It would very much add to the right 'look' of the Pirate101 world as well. Like anecorbie I have worked and played in period gowns, stays, multiple layers and all, and love the clothes in real life.

As a modern fictional look at a girl and her adventures wearing court gowns (of all things), I recommend the Palace of Spies trilogy (Sarah Zettle). No pirates, but plenty of adventures, and the author understands these clothes very well.

And a final note: while working women of the Age of Pirates did not wear the stiffest stays of the aristocracy, and their petticoats were generally not nearly to the ankle, I will point out that the height of courtly female fashion does not hamper Kane's second-in-command, Queen, in the least.
Yes, there are options for slightly more feminine clothes but they are very few and what if you don't want to wear MooShu gear? Or SI basic clothes like the skirt and bodice or the WD grass skirts?
Thanks for the book recommendation, I will look it up!
I admire the clothes designs that the KI artists and modelers create for this game, but I would like to see something "completely different".
Such as the "diplomatic" monkey suit we wear in Puerto Mico or the Kowbooki costume; while these aren't "feminine", they are fun and different.
I wouldn't mind wearing the working class dresses of the Fox females in Marleybone.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
KingsIsle is retiring the "Fantastic Voyage" bundle, I would like to mention the gear from this bundle as being very good looking in a "steam-punk" fashion, plus that whip weapon would definitely fit in for our pirates, just add a combo weapon to it and it would be ready to go!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
anecorbie on Jan 9, 2019 wrote:
Yes, there are options for slightly more feminine clothes but they are very few and what if you don't want to wear MooShu gear? Or SI basic clothes like the skirt and bodice or the WD grass skirts?
Thanks for the book recommendation, I will look it up!
I admire the clothes designs that the KI artists and modelers create for this game, but I would like to see something "completely different".
Such as the "diplomatic" monkey suit we wear in Puerto Mico or the Kowbooki costume; while these aren't "feminine", they are fun and different.
I wouldn't mind wearing the working class dresses of the Fox females in Marleybone.
Perhaps they could add some female clothes from some of the pirate's origin worlds, for instance Grizzleheim dress, or Krokotopian. There are some nice female outfits in Wiz from Krokotopia, or they could put in some white dresses with black wigs, as Liz Taylor wore in Cleopatra. Maybe there could be a Pack outfit from Zafaria with outfits and veils like the elephant's Queen. Throw in some fez hats for fun too. Fez are cool!