Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Falmea Friday - Fishy Business

AuthorMessage
Hi Pirate friends! Seems like a good day for a new topic, right? Shall we?

We've been inspired by this thread, so let's chat more about fishing. We've discussed various ways to incorporate fishing into this particular corner of the Spiral over the years, and have many ideas. I'm sure you all do as well! If you could incorporate fishing into Pirate101, how would you do it? Where would you fish? What fish would you see?

Hopefully this topic catches your attention and you reel-y give us a line on your thoughts!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Professor Falmea on Jun 1, 2018 wrote:

We've been inspired by this thread, so let's chat more about fishing. We've discussed various ways to incorporate fishing into this particular corner of the Spiral over the years, and have many ideas. I'm sure you all do as well! If you could incorporate fishing into Pirate101, how would you do it? Where would you fish? What fish would you see?

Hopefully this topic catches your attention and you reel-y give us a line on your thoughts!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
Since we are pirates and travel by ship, could we have a few sea-monsters in the skyway. I know in W101 that their fishing is done where there is water or even lava in Dragonspyre! This would making fishing a unique activity that this game needs.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013

I don't play Wizard101, so... I wouldn't know... *sneaks quietly out of topic*

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I'd say that pirates would throw our nets over the side and trawl through the windlanes (and maybe off the windlanes into the various nooks and crannies of the skyways) to catch a haul that would feed our hungry crew. Maybe, sometimes we'd get some common fish, sometimes we'd catch a more rare fish mixed into our catch, and sometimes -- sometimes, we'd catch a nice chest containing some rare loot. Common fish could be fed to the crew in place of Brawling for experience, rare fish could be sold for plenty of gold, and EPIC FISH could be fed to the crew in place of a Training Tome, possibly.

Of course, if we're fishing and encounter an enemy creature or ship, the enemy would cut our nets and we couldn't fish anymore unless we replaced/repaired them in the nearest town.

Ensign
Dec 18, 2010
For fishing here to be a bit more unique, I think maybe we could fish in the skies instead! We could dock in the skyway and fish, maybe have a fishing sigil on ships when they’re at sea.. or sky..

Anyways, I was thinking that maybe you could dock in the middle of the skyway, walk to this fishing sigil on the edge of your ship, and fish there. There could be different fish for each world, skyway, maybe even different parts of the skyway.

I don’t know if we’d use lures like they do in wizard101, or use a regular fishing rod... maybe we’d use some sort of enchanted fishing rod? Or perhaps the team at KI will come up with something else creative..

I was thinking that maybe, just to keep things a bit more interesting, there could be a rare chance to fish up some kind of fishy (pun intended) boss, who can possibly drop some good loot, maybe even a small amount of scrip.

If fishing comes to pirate101, hopefully the system used would be just a bit more unique to this game. But even if it’s not, I’ll still be happy if it’s added!

Ensign
May 21, 2012

Hello once again, Falmea.

Thanks for starting the topic about Fishing for Pirate101. One of the things i'm looking forward to see on Pirate101 someday. As for the questions; I'd incorporate fishing into P101 by adding the same method like Wizard But with more of changes:

• Making sure that there'll be Fishing Equipment such as Hooks for examples (With stats added on these such as accuracy and chances to catch a big or small fish or adding luck percentage or chances to get a Treasure chest.
  • Bait. It could be a Lure or Fish Food or anything shiny that attracts fish
  • Adding Powers that increases Luck or Accuracy as well to add into the hook
  • Fishing Hoard Pack that comes with equipment pieces with stats that increases Energy, Accuracy and Treasure Chest Chances Luck rate. or even special powers to make fish respawn to the pond or the skyway
  • Please no Sentinel Fishes. Something i hate in Wizard101 Fishing is the Sentinel Fish idea that scares the fish away from my Lure.

As for how to Fish:
  • You get close to the pond or the skyway where it has the fish
  • A fish Icon appears on the screen that is small. Click on it or press F to open the fishing tab
  • A list of hooks you have in your backpack will show. Equip a hook to your pirate and add a bait/lure into it
  • Move your character to the area you want to throw your hook and lure into and wait until the fish drowns the bait/lure into the water
  • press space to claim the fish and the lure up

As for where'd i fish and what fish i want to see it'd be definitely in the Diplomatic Residence Pond in Valencia. I want the Kane and King Casmir Fishes. Maybe Contessa's Knives or Roberto and Diego's Gear or Rapiers as a drop from the treasure chests. Or even the Cuckoo Clock Bundle's gear from Wizard101 into Pirate 101 and has no stats, Just for stitching purposes in the Treasure chests.

But besides that, We do also need a Story Content to move forward into the Second arc and El Dorado's story. Please. If any hints too would be great.

Thank you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Smart Logan West on Jun 2, 2018 wrote:
Hello once again, Falmea.

Thanks for starting the topic about Fishing for Pirate101. One of the things i'm looking forward to see on Pirate101 someday. As for the questions; I'd incorporate fishing into P101 by adding the same method like Wizard But with more of changes:

• Making sure that there'll be Fishing Equipment such as Hooks for examples (With stats added on these such as accuracy and chances to catch a big or small fish or adding luck percentage or chances to get a Treasure chest.
  • Bait. It could be a Lure or Fish Food or anything shiny that attracts fish
  • Adding Powers that increases Luck or Accuracy as well to add into the hook
  • Fishing Hoard Pack that comes with equipment pieces with stats that increases Energy, Accuracy and Treasure Chest Chances Luck rate. or even special powers to make fish respawn to the pond or the skyway
  • Please no Sentinel Fishes. Something i hate in Wizard101 Fishing is the Sentinel Fish idea that scares the fish away from my Lure.

As for how to Fish:
  • You get close to the pond or the skyway where it has the fish
  • A fish Icon appears on the screen that is small. Click on it or press F to open the fishing tab
  • A list of hooks you have in your backpack will show. Equip a hook to your pirate and add a bait/lure into it
  • Move your character to the area you want to throw your hook and lure into and wait until the fish drowns the bait/lure into the water
  • press space to claim the fish and the lure up

As for where'd i fish and what fish i want to see it'd be definitely in the Diplomatic Residence Pond in Valencia. I want the Kane and King Casmir Fishes. Maybe Contessa's Knives or Roberto and Diego's Gear or Rapiers as a drop from the treasure chests. Or even the Cuckoo Clock Bundle's gear from Wizard101 into Pirate 101 and has no stats, Just for stitching purposes in the Treasure chests.

But besides that, We do also need a Story Content to move forward into the Second arc and El Dorado's story. Please. If any hints too would be great.

Thank you.
"No Sentinel fish..." Yarrr!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Helpful Aurora Par... on Jun 2, 2018 wrote:
Aurora, just because you don't know how fishing is done in W101 doesn't mean you can't share an idea. I know you have great and creative ideas, so please share them with us. Who knows, a fresh, unbiased view point might be what we need.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I like the idea of fishing in the many areas of the game with ponds and streams, like Gold Creek and the pools near the team-up ledger. The fishing in the skyways ideas people suggested also seem interesting, though we can already catch Flying fish and Batacuda there.

I would like to be able to fish in the houses. They all seem to have some water, and it's not like we are allowed to put furniture in those places anyway. I thought maybe they were reserved that way for future fishing. If it's a gradual roll out, maybe it could begin with the waters on Skull Island for those in dorms, and waters in all the houses, something that would encourage social porting to let people fish at houses they don't have. Not to mention help the sale of houses.

Being more nautical and commercially minded than wizards, maybe we would use nets and special hooks. I think Jonah Town would make an excellent center for fishing and fish sales. There is a pelican we could sell fish to. There could be a tackle shop if the fishing equipment is prone to loss or wear (like the pet equipment is used up).

For a fish to see, how about a Water Horse?

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Helpful Aurora Par... on Jun 2, 2018 wrote:
Ah but this is Pirate Fishing, matey! So feel free to sound your horn on what you'd like it to be.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
If there were fishing in the skies, I'd put it through the stormgates, between worlds. Those areas are so lovely, and people don't tend to linger in there. They are already great places to fish for gold from the creatures there. Maybe there would be room to tuck in a new kind of fishing too.

Petty Officer
Feb 07, 2010
When a players ship is in the skyway, the boarding sigils that appear when the ship is docked would be replaced with fishing sigils. There would be special equippable fishing gear, such as pole, line, hook, and bait. As for when a fish bites, there would be some sort of mini game where the player must repeatedly tap the space bar at a particular speed, not so slow that the fish gets away, but not so fast that the line breaks.

The fish that could be caught, I can think of Blocktopus, (an octopus that plays with wooden alphabet blocks) Socktopus, (an octopus with socks for tentacles) and Mocktopus (an octopus that constantly makes a "neener neener neener" gesture). Let's face it, wizards have already eaten up most of the good fish puns.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
IF this were to be implemented into our game; it would be nice if we could fish in our houses just as some houses in W101 allows fishing. Almost all our houses have water, only one doesn't.

Ensign
Nov 12, 2016
Fishing in the skies is a good idea, however I believe that only certain areas in a skyway have fish, using a clear and visible marker in the game to show where the fishing hotspot is and allowing players to hunt it down, I think this adds more agency to the fishing.

Also, instead of spells, like in W101, instead use gear that be dropped by mobs, be dropped by a certain Companion order or be gained from fishing.
The better the gear, the higher chance of catching th rarer fish, the rarest fish likely being in the 60-70 areas and require rare gear to catch.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 2, 2018 wrote:
IF this were to be implemented into our game; it would be nice if we could fish in our houses just as some houses in W101 allows fishing. Almost all our houses have water, only one doesn't.
Which house has no water?

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 2, 2018 wrote:
Aurora, just because you don't know how fishing is done in W101 doesn't mean you can't share an idea. I know you have great and creative ideas, so please share them with us. Who knows, a fresh, unbiased view point might be what we need.
*sneaks back into topic*

LOL, thank you, Esperanza and Calamity.

Well, I don't know, how it would work, so I may need to be enlightened on that. However, Fishing in itself sounds like a pretty fun add-on to the game (and possible bait for new players ). I like the idea of adding it in the Skyways, sort of how there are already Batacuda and Flying Fish swimming in the Skyway. If an expert Wizard could show me the ins and outs of Fishing, I may have one or two ideas.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
I do wonder what it be like to Fish in Cool Ranch, maybe find some Epic Rare Gold Nugget Trout!?!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
awsomehq on Jun 3, 2018 wrote:
Fishing in the skies is a good idea, however I believe that only certain areas in a skyway have fish, using a clear and visible marker in the game to show where the fishing hotspot is and allowing players to hunt it down, I think this adds more agency to the fishing.

Also, instead of spells, like in W101, instead use gear that be dropped by mobs, be dropped by a certain Companion order or be gained from fishing.
The better the gear, the higher chance of catching th rarer fish, the rarest fish likely being in the 60-70 areas and require rare gear to catch.
Welcome to the message boards, awesmehq! Those are some great ideas!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
jack morgan933 on Jun 3, 2018 wrote:
I do wonder what it be like to Fish in Cool Ranch, maybe find some Epic Rare Gold Nugget Trout!?!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan
Ooh! I like that!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Pisces of Eight- a gold coin encrusted fish

I'm kind of proud of this one.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Armored Nautilus-with a plate armor shell
Chamber Nautilus- with a 1700's century style, powdered wig and frock coated shell

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Calamity Finch on Jun 7, 2018 wrote:
Pisces of Eight- a gold coin encrusted fish

I'm kind of proud of this one.
Haha!! I love that!

Great ideas, Pirates! We've definitely talked about fishing on the team, and we like the idea of trawling from your boat! We'll keep these in mind for future updates.

I'm going to change the topic shortly, so stay tuned!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Jun 7, 2018 wrote:
Armored Nautilus-with a plate armor shell
Chamber Nautilus- with a 1700's century style, powdered wig and frock coated shell
Amore Eel, pink with hearts.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 8, 2018 wrote:
Amore Eel, pink with hearts.
Ooh, awesome!