Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

TL:DW of the KI live and the new update

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Thought I would list the new pirate update confirmed features here:

1) Team-up kiosk (bless)

2) SHIP PVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3) Automated combat (companions can be set to work by AI and not command)

4) New hybrids

5) Other beans that have yet to be spilled

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Alex the Pirate on Aug 24, 2017 wrote:

1) Team-up kiosk (bless)

4) New hybrids

I will be testing all aspects of the update in the coming test realm although a couple of these items leave me cold.
2) Ship PVP, not that interested, but like I said, I will be trying it out. Maybe I'll like it, after all I wasn't that interested in Ranked PVP when it was released.
3) Automated combat - now here is, IMO, a terrible idea, as if combat needs to be "dumbed down" even more & this is just lazy at it's worst. I hope that there's a way to turn off this function, if I don't want it!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Alex the Pirate on Aug 24, 2017 wrote:

1) Team-up kiosk (bless)

4) New hybrids

I'm excited for everything except #3. I am so used to command and I would never want it automated. Are you sure that's confirmed? There are several rumors out there that aren't necessarily true.

Diverteix-Te,
Et veuré a Skyways!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Helpful Aurora Par... on Aug 25, 2017 wrote:
I'm excited for everything except #3. I am so used to command and I would never want it automated. Are you sure that's confirmed? There are several rumors out there that aren't necessarily true.

Diverteix-Te,
Et veuré a Skyways!
I just saw the KingsIsle Live on You-Tube, Automated Companions will be part of the test realm; I was thrilled to see there was a toggle to turn it OFF!

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
1) There thankfully is a way to turn this off anecorbie 2) Perhaps the part of the update I am most excited about, the August producers newsletter has revealed we will be getting a minor storyline update. Sorry for neglecting this as at the time of writing the original post I had not read the letter.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 25, 2017 wrote:
I will be testing all aspects of the update in the coming test realm although a couple of these items leave me cold.
2) Ship PVP, not that interested, but like I said, I will be trying it out. Maybe I'll like it, after all I wasn't that interested in Ranked PVP when it was released.
3) Automated combat - now here is, IMO, a terrible idea, as if combat needs to be "dumbed down" even more & this is just lazy at it's worst. I hope that there's a way to turn off this function, if I don't want it!
Personally I love 3! Although it would be stupid to use that in Kane, when grinding low level boring dungeons (I.e trying to get Phule's drops in Bruno Chapel), or maybe even up to mooshu fights, I think it would make life easier while I focus on something else. Late mooshu fights and beyond I would definetly command my squad though.

Also this is 100% a bonus feature, it will be turned off if chosen. The letter even said that you should "take the helm" in tougher fights, and maybe even complex low level boss fights like Gortez (with the idols smashing).

What I am most excited for is the storyline moving forward. How hard will the bosses be? Who is that polarian ambassador? Are there more ambassadors that are not on screen? What drops will we get? What new places will we see? And some speculations too- Will we actually see armada privy and witch units soon?

Bosun
Mar 04, 2012

Diverteix-Te,
Et veuré a Skyways!
It was in the latest ki live episode it's on YouTube now so you can see

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012

Diverteix-Te,
Et veuré a Skyways!
This has been confirmed as the feature was shown in both KI Live and the Producer's Letter.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Since the Automated crew can be turned off, I'm fine with it. It could be interesting when playing solo to have the crew doing things you didn't plan. It would also be nice if you could override their decisions and have them do something else. In some very complex and full fights, sometimes I don't give one of the crew any orders, because the countdown runs out. It can happen in those full fights when the order you planned to give gets blocked by other pirates taking the spot first. If the crew with no orders goes ahead and uses their own initiative, it could be good. I can also see Captains, who like to keep their crew under tight control, choosing not to use it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Golden Guardian on Aug 26, 2017 wrote:
Personally I love 3! Although it would be stupid to use that in Kane, when grinding low level boring dungeons (I.e trying to get Phule's drops in Bruno Chapel), or maybe even up to mooshu fights, I think it would make life easier while I focus on something else. Late mooshu fights and beyond I would definetly command my squad though.

Also this is 100% a bonus feature, it will be turned off if chosen. The letter even said that you should "take the helm" in tougher fights, and maybe even complex low level boss fights like Gortez (with the idols smashing).

What I am most excited for is the storyline moving forward. How hard will the bosses be? Who is that polarian ambassador? Are there more ambassadors that are not on screen? What drops will we get? What new places will we see? And some speculations too- Will we actually see armada privy and witch units soon?
You may think this is a boon for higher level players, but consider this: this addition will be available to all levels. How is a new player supposed to learn strategy when all they have to do are their own actions and let the AI decide for their crew? How many times have we seen summons or pets perform an absolute, bonehead attack? All I see here is that we'll see more posts on these boards complaining about their companions mistakes "And now they're all defeated and I have to wait 2 hrs. to get them back!"

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 26, 2017 wrote:
You may think this is a boon for higher level players, but consider this: this addition will be available to all levels. How is a new player supposed to learn strategy when all they have to do are their own actions and let the AI decide for their crew? How many times have we seen summons or pets perform an absolute, bonehead attack? All I see here is that we'll see more posts on these boards complaining about their companions mistakes "And now they're all defeated and I have to wait 2 hrs. to get them back!"
Personally Im holding back my opinions until I see how stupid/smart the AI is. If the AI is stupid then it seems like a pointless addition and if the AI is smart then it takes away the point of strategy.There is some middle ground there that I would be ok with though.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 25, 2017 wrote:
I just saw the KingsIsle Live on You-Tube, Automated Companions will be part of the test realm; I was thrilled to see there was a toggle to turn it OFF!
Yes!

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 26, 2017 wrote:
Well the letter clearly said Companion Auto-Fight was not recommended for "tricky fights". Most people will have the capability to know what a tricky fight is relative to their level, and if they don't well they will. Level 10 boss fights might be tricky for Level 10 pirates. Kane is tricky for max pirates. Its all relative to your level.

It's sole purpose was for "run-of-the-mill" combat. Already I do this in low level fights. I do absolutely nothing, come back in 6-7 mins and collect chests. This is with level 40 fish in Mooshu for example. And when I say nothing, I mean nothing. I don't click a single thing.

I do agree with you in some sense, that auto-fight should not be available for extremely new players. Once they have a reasonable understanding of the relative difficulty in the game, then auto fight should be available as an option. I would say this would be available at level 10.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Golden Guardian on Aug 27, 2017 wrote:
Well the letter clearly said Companion Auto-Fight was not recommended for "tricky fights". Most people will have the capability to know what a tricky fight is relative to their level, and if they don't well they will. Level 10 boss fights might be tricky for Level 10 pirates. Kane is tricky for max pirates. Its all relative to your level.

It's sole purpose was for "run-of-the-mill" combat. Already I do this in low level fights. I do absolutely nothing, come back in 6-7 mins and collect chests. This is with level 40 fish in Mooshu for example. And when I say nothing, I mean nothing. I don't click a single thing.

I do agree with you in some sense, that auto-fight should not be available for extremely new players. Once they have a reasonable understanding of the relative difficulty in the game, then auto fight should be available as an option. I would say this would be available at level 10.
I swear by Bartleby, the first pirate that tells me: "Turn on your auto companions and click done, it makes battle faster." , will be getting a very salty answer.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
not really excited by any of this, then again there is almost nothing they can do to please me with this game at this point

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Aug 29, 2017 wrote:
not really excited by any of this, then again there is almost nothing they can do to please me with this game at this point
Not excited about even a tiny story line update? I know you, Robert, nothing but Team Ranked PVP & PVP spectating would have you hopping with joy! ( Well, maybe the next update? )

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
If your looking for high level content, I would recommend checking out the producers letter as the story stuff there looks quite interesting

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
anecorbie on Aug 27, 2017 wrote:
I swear by Bartleby, the first pirate that tells me: "Turn on your auto companions and click done, it makes battle faster." , will be getting a very salty answer.
Ikr

Anyways I'm fine with this automated combat since I can just turn it off.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
I understand. Most of the stuff that thrills higher Levels doesn't exactly give me joyful adrenaline like I'm going to Disney World tomorrow, but a new World or House (or especially Crafting!) is quite exciting.

But, Zuto, this is the Message Boards! We share ideas around. So maybe there's nothing KingsIsle can do to "please you" at this moment, but I'd very much like to hear your ideas and what you'd want in the game! We're all Marauders, and we all share ideas, so I'd love for you to tell us what you'd like to see coming up in this game.

Diverteix-Te,
Et veuré a Skyways!