Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The ability to transfer crown companions.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 08, 2014
Just to be clear, I am only talking about crown/pack companions. I don't want people to have three Bonnie Anns/ Old Scratches running around and the like. I also don't want class restricted companions to be available to classes that aren't supposed to have them.

And another note, I'm not a programmer so I don't know if my ideas are possible/hard to implement for P101.

Basically my idea is the ability to have some way to transfer over a companion you bought for crowns over. My first idea is that when ever you get a pack or crown companion, a copy of that companion (level adjusted) is sent to all of your pirates and whenever you make a new one. Once you get that companion, you can't ever buy it again. This way has the pro of being simple for the player because they don't have to do anything and you don't have to worry about the level/epics/talents of the companion being already set. A con is that it might be hard for crown companions that already exist.

My second idea is basically a shared bank method. You put a companion in and it either creates a new one (only six at a time) or takes your old one. Any pirate that gets the companion will reset it for their level, almost like you are gifting it to yourself. I imagine the second one would be more simple for the developers, but I could be wrong. This has the same pro of being simple as it's using any other item in the shared bank, just with a limit so you can't have infinite crown Batacudas.

And my third idea is that the crown/pack companions you bought are stuck on your character, but you can buy them at the crown shop for gold. How much gold is something I don't know, but this has the pro of keeping companions locked until they are ready (defeating Gortez 25 times for an example). This would delay people having their companions until a certain level, but I think it's the best way to implement this. This also helps the beginning of the game not be a total cakewalk (especially since high level pets already reduce the difficulty a lot).

Now why I want this to happen. I don't exactly want to spend crowns up to six times if I want them on each of my characters. However that pales in comparison to the amount of crowns you can spend on packs due to bad luck. Especially if you want to use your low level character for the companions, and the higher level character for the weapons. And now for a bigger example, getting Nausica for five pirates costs around 200 dollars. Now of course, not everyone wants Nausica on every class but there are some out there that do.

Now I know this will probably take profits from KI due to not buying so much crowns for the companions, but it would be just more convenient for the players. I wouldn't mind if this didn't apply to the main crown shop companions for that reason, but I would at least want it to apply for pack companions simply due to RNG frustration.

And this concludes my idea. I would like to hear your feedback and how I could improve these ideas.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
There was a recent discussion on this very topic, it could probably be found with a quick Search. I don't think it would be fair or cost-effective for Kingsisle to provide six companions for the price of one, and funds are certainly needed so that updates can be made.

I would not be adverse to the ability to trade pack or bundle companions, but asking for Crown Shop companions to be tradeable goes too far, for me.

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I understand the desire for this. I have a special ninja pig crewman that only one of my pirates has, that I can't even try for with packs or crowns on the other pirates. I think the reason it is not allowed is because they don't want high level maxed crew going fully trained through the bank to lower level players; the crew would be too overpowering. We can put the maxed out pets through the shared bank, but they would not be as decisive in a fight as a maxed out crewman.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
I have Tiburon on 3 pirates, so my others will get him as well! I like it!

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
This would make the game less anti-consumer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Almost all the companions are unlocked through the quest line, making them available to all your pirates isn't feasible. Having extra copies of companions through packs or bundles will be a loss of finances to KI
If you want this game to flourish and stay around for a while, then stop suggesting ways that cut into KI profits!

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Calamity Finch on Jul 18, 2017 wrote:
I understand the desire for this. I have a special ninja pig crewman that only one of my pirates has, that I can't even try for with packs or crowns on the other pirates. I think the reason it is not allowed is because they don't want high level maxed crew going fully trained through the bank to lower level players; the crew would be too overpowering. We can put the maxed out pets through the shared bank, but they would not be as decisive in a fight as a maxed out crewman.
He specifically said that it would be level adjusted

Ensign
Feb 08, 2014
(Willowydream) Yeah, I probably should've tried to search it first but since it's already posted I can't really do anything about that. However I will keep the search function in mind for the next time.

And yeah, I can sort of agree with the crown companions and like I said before, I wouldn't mind if normal crownshop companions were exempt from any way to transfer because it would cut into profits.

(Calamity Finch) I certainly do agree with you on this point. That's why I suggested methods that would leave them essentially a blank state, similar to how they are when you first get them. This would prevent people from abusing lvl 70 companions on a lvl 5 character. I simply want to transfer the base character over, almost like resetting a companion but it resets their level as well.

(Anecorbie) For your first sentence, are you talking about the crown ship versions of questline companions? If so, then the gold method of transfer seems to fix the problem you are talking about. You can't have them earlier than you're supposed to. I don't exactly know why you say it isn't feasible when someone could do the same thing with crowns.

As for talking about profits and the like, I don't disagree that this might be taking away some profits from KI. However I do imagine that some of these changes would make the packs and bundle look better to justify getting them. I don't know how this would affect total profits but I do imagine it would help cushion the blow.

However I'm 100% KI knows a lot more about their profits than most people here, including me. So ultimately, they would decide if they could or couldn't (or want/don't want) implement this into the game. It would be great if they did, but understandable if they didn't.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 19, 2017 wrote:
This would make the game less anti-consumer
Pirate101 is one of the most generous MMO's I've played, they often have sales ( there's one going on now ) and they give us free gifts. ( Which doesn't depend on membership to receive. )

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 19, 2017 wrote:
Pirate101 is one of the most generous MMO's I've played, they often have sales ( there's one going on now ) and they give us free gifts. ( Which doesn't depend on membership to receive. )
If it's not the best it would be right up there with the top 5

I'm just always open to ideas which benefit the consumer

Ensign
Jul 26, 2012
I would like a companion transferring system in place, but specifically for companions received from bundles, give aways (like Ninja Pig) and possibly packs. I also wouldn't mind if it had some sort of drawback such as resetting the companion to level 1 or allowing only a limited number of transfers within a certain time period.

I'd see it as more of an emergency system to transfer special companions from a pirate you may no longer play rather than something done out of convenience.