Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

p101 references to stuff

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jul 13, 2013
how many references are there in pirate101 such as fin dorsal vin diesel?

i count:

bonnie anne anne bonnie

stupendor x can't help but think of power rangers

wing chun idk i think he's a reference but i could be wrong

but tell me what you think byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
firstmatesubodai34... on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:

i count:

bonnie anne anne bonnie

Ahoy,

I think Wing Chung is a reference to the Karate Kid "Crane Kick". Could be wrong.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I really hate to be the one to point this out, but there have been several threads on this over the years. If you use the Search feature in the menu, you can find them and read many, many posts about food, music, movies and many other sources of inspiration for the writing team.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
To simplify the search, look for the words "Easter eggs".

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013

i count:

bonnie anne anne bonnie

Obviously our beloved El Toro *Music* is a reference to another certain masked hero by the name of Zorro :D

Fiera a vela Amico!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
There are so many references. I like the Rat Pack, which refers to a number of stars from the 50's and 60's like Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Joey Bishop and Jerry Lewis. I realized a reference to a main companion, Subodai is a character in Conan the Barbarian.

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
My favorite real life reference in Pirate101 is the "Ridolfo Capoferro" companion. Ridolfo is a Unicorn Duelist restricted to Musketeers, but as many of you know, I bought him on my Swashbuckler cause he's the father of fencing. I like Ridolfo, he's a pretty good fencer and a really good companion overall. Definitely worth every crown I spent to get him.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver

Ensign
Jul 13, 2010
The La Mancha part of Monquista (including Donkey Hotay and Pancho Stanza) is all a big reference to a 17th century Spanish novel called Don Quixote. I'm a huge fan of the book myself, and was super excited to see those references in-game!

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
Calamity Finch on Mar 5, 2017 wrote:
There are so many references. I like the Rat Pack, which refers to a number of stars from the 50's and 60's like Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Joey Bishop and Jerry Lewis. I realized a reference to a main companion, Subodai is a character in Conan the Barbarian.
I think we'd get along pretty well...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
PiratePablo1 on Feb 25, 2017 wrote:
Ahoy,

I think Wing Chung is a reference to the Karate Kid "Crane Kick". Could be wrong.
Bruce Lee practiced the Kung Fu style of "Wing Chun" but its obvious that the Crane is using "Crane Style" from the first Karate Kid.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Pirate101 is so full of reference you could write a book about them all.

Think of any hero from a Western--that hero is in Cool Ranch somewhere.

My favorite reference, however, is to the song, TubThumping by the group Chumbawumba. When you go up to the top of the volcano to get Ratbeard, you run into a huge water mole by the name of Chumbawumba, whom you have to defeat. When you do, he heals himself and continues the battle. When that happens your companions say:

"He gets knocked down, but he gets up again!"
"We're never gonna keep him down!"

Which is the chorus from the song, Tub Thumping.

Once you defeat him by destroying the idols, you get your first piece of the TubThumping Badge.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

i count:

bonnie anne anne bonnie

This game is full of references to pop culture. A lot of humor has been infused into the game and that's one of the many reasons I love it. I've played many games over the years, but none of them have made me laugh like this one does. Sometimes it makes me laugh so hard I get a pain in my stomach. A bad pain. Really bad. The baddest bad you can have. Super bad :D

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Monquista itself is entirely a historical reference to the Spanish Inquisition, and then you have the Monkey's Paw which I believe is a reference to a specific individual (not referencing names out of respect) who was the Son of a certain Higher Power and I believe made a Chalice that was meant to grant eternal youth or something. There was a room full of different chalices but the right one was the one made out of wood because he was a Carpenter (I could be completely wrong about the story part but if you get what I'm trying to say, have a box of Oreos lol)

Then you have Mooshu, which is entirely based off of Asian cultures and historical occurrences. Obviously, there are smaller, more minuscule references that require a trained eye to spot and I agree with the others: for those, there are already like a dozen other posts listing them out

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
In mooshu there are these guys called "Blue onis" and "Ao Demon" Which is a reference to the game series with about 30 installments (Canon or Fanon) Ao Oni!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
darkmoordude on Jun 29, 2017 wrote:
In mooshu there are these guys called "Blue onis" and "Ao Demon" Which is a reference to the game series with about 30 installments (Canon or Fanon) Ao Oni!
Only indirectly. Ao Onis go way back in Japanese folklore.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Apr 21, 2017 wrote:
Monquista itself is entirely a historical reference to the Spanish Inquisition, and then you have the Monkey's Paw which I believe is a reference to a specific individual (not referencing names out of respect) who was the Son of a certain Higher Power and I believe made a Chalice that was meant to grant eternal youth or something. There was a room full of different chalices but the right one was the one made out of wood because he was a Carpenter (I could be completely wrong about the story part but if you get what I'm trying to say, have a box of Oreos lol)

Then you have Mooshu, which is entirely based off of Asian cultures and historical occurrences. Obviously, there are smaller, more minuscule references that require a trained eye to spot and I agree with the others: for those, there are already like a dozen other posts listing them out
The Monkey's Paw is a direct reference to a suspenseful short story where a sinister releic ( yes, a monkey's paw ) grants wishes in a twisted way.
The Cave of the Crescent Moon references Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade and the Guardian of the Holy Grail.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I still think that Tim and Perry, the two rats you meet both in Jonah Town and Port Regal, are references to both Penn and Teller and Simon and Garfunkel.