Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A concept for gardening in pirate101

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 05, 2012
Gardening is really helpful in wiz, and it would be awesome if something similar is implemented in pirate. But gardening is not very pirate-like. So what i thought of something pirate-like but has the same concept of gardening.

And what i came up with is Treasure Hunting(i'm not talking about sailing around the spiral to find chests) also the name could use some work.
So the idea is to send a fleet to hunt down a treasure chest. This is a bit difficult to put in words but i'll try my best to explain by using gardening in wiz to describe things.

Maps- maps are like seeds in wiz. Although, you plant seeds on soil but i can't think of a way we can do that with maps
Progression- plants show a bar that indicates how much more time is need to progress to the next stage. What i'm thinking is a bar with an icon of a fleet of ships, an icon of a house on one side, and a treasure icon on the opposite side. The fleet moves from the house and towards the treasure to indicate progress.
Plundering- (referring to the progress bar) once the fleet hits the treasure, it fills a little ship with loot and heads towards the house. When the ship hits the house, you can plunder it(wizards call it harvesting), then it sends another ship after you harvest it. When its time for an elder harvest, a big ship makes it's way towards the house, and when it returns, it has better rewards.
Needs- food, water, equipment, weapons, motivation maybe?
Wounds- wounds would be the pests in relation to plants
Special Requirements- some plants require enchanted soil, so maybe some treasure maps require enchanted ships
Likes and Dislikes- this would depend on the map.

Tell me what you think about my idea and share your own too! And i know this is a bit confusing but i'll make things clear if you are.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Docterteer on Aug 13, 2016 wrote:
Gardening is really helpful in wiz, and it would be awesome if something similar is implemented in pirate. But gardening is not very pirate-like. So what i thought of something pirate-like but has the same concept of gardening.

And what i came up with is Treasure Hunting(i'm not talking about sailing around the spiral to find chests) also the name could use some work.
So the idea is to send a fleet to hunt down a treasure chest. This is a bit difficult to put in words but i'll try my best to explain by using gardening in wiz to describe things.

Maps- maps are like seeds in wiz. Although, you plant seeds on soil but i can't think of a way we can do that with maps
Progression- plants show a bar that indicates how much more time is need to progress to the next stage. What i'm thinking is a bar with an icon of a fleet of ships, an icon of a house on one side, and a treasure icon on the opposite side. The fleet moves from the house and towards the treasure to indicate progress.
Plundering- (referring to the progress bar) once the fleet hits the treasure, it fills a little ship with loot and heads towards the house. When the ship hits the house, you can plunder it(wizards call it harvesting), then it sends another ship after you harvest it. When its time for an elder harvest, a big ship makes it's way towards the house, and when it returns, it has better rewards.
Needs- food, water, equipment, weapons, motivation maybe?
Wounds- wounds would be the pests in relation to plants
Special Requirements- some plants require enchanted soil, so maybe some treasure maps require enchanted ships
Likes and Dislikes- this would depend on the map.

Tell me what you think about my idea and share your own too! And i know this is a bit confusing but i'll make things clear if you are.
This is very interesting and creative! I love the concept and agree it needs some work.
Maps - in wiz bosses or mobs will sometimes drop seeds, having them drop a map will work here. Perhaps the map is the key to finding treasure in your house?
Progression - If the map gives you a clue everyday, you can do a step by step search for the treasure.
Plundering - once you have deciphered the clues correctly, you can try Digging at the spot and claim the treasure.
Needs, maybe assign a companion ( and only one companion ) to "Search" this will give you an extra clue.
Wounds/Pests - how about "raiders"? Rival treasure hunters after your treasure, you must set up defenses to keep them away.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I know in wiz that they can harvest a plant more than once, but this concept of a treasure map seems that only one treasure per map would be called for, therefore the treasure should be better than pet snacks or ordinary gear or gold.
What about training tomes? If crafting comes then reagents will surely be part of this.

Ensign
Nov 05, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 14, 2016 wrote:
This is very interesting and creative! I love the concept and agree it needs some work.
Maps - in wiz bosses or mobs will sometimes drop seeds, having them drop a map will work here. Perhaps the map is the key to finding treasure in your house?
Progression - If the map gives you a clue everyday, you can do a step by step search for the treasure.
Plundering - once you have deciphered the clues correctly, you can try Digging at the spot and claim the treasure.
Needs, maybe assign a companion ( and only one companion ) to "Search" this will give you an extra clue.
Wounds/Pests - how about "raiders"? Rival treasure hunters after your treasure, you must set up defenses to keep them away.
I like your idea of solving clues to dig the correct spot. I was intending the ability to harvest multiple times like in wiz. But i guess it's best to keep the two games separate.

Also, the thing about the map is: how do you activate it? Do you plot it directly on the ground? Or do you plot on some kind special soil. Or does it activate right away? This concept has some flaws to it and must be worked out before KingsIsle consider implementing it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Docterteer on Aug 15, 2016 wrote:
I like your idea of solving clues to dig the correct spot. I was intending the ability to harvest multiple times like in wiz. But i guess it's best to keep the two games separate.

Also, the thing about the map is: how do you activate it? Do you plot it directly on the ground? Or do you plot on some kind special soil. Or does it activate right away? This concept has some flaws to it and must be worked out before KingsIsle consider implementing it.
It could activate when you port to your house, I imagine an automatic pop-up of the clue on a map.
Example: clue says "three steps North to a shady tree" and on the map, an "X" with the words "start here".
Note: I'm considering that you must have a house to Treasure Hunt, the bunkhouse you start with would be hopeless for this.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
Interesting concept but I want them both! Treasure hunting AND gardening. I know it's popular to believe that gardening isn't very "piratey"... but is it any less appropriate than it is for Wizards? If anything, it's more appropriate for a pirate to garden than a wizard (especially a WD). Wizards are all magical and such so theoretically shouldn't they be able to snap their fingers and create things... all that gardening stuff seems unnecessary. But a pirate gardening... now that brings up some fascinating possibilities. The obvious would be reagents for a Witch Doctor's potions, but how about harvesting materials that could aid in more powerful firearm attacks (special gunpowder), or elixirs to make your companions more effective in battle (vitamins).
Plus, gardens just look so danged cool!

How about a Sword Fern that produces actual SWORDS at harvest? Or a Boom Shroom that produces gunpowder?

Lieutenant
Oct 26, 2013
i like the original idea. getting clues daily seems more like a sidequest for gold which i never do and who does quests for gold? maybe vadima could lead us to a witch that gives us a quest that make a basic enchanting table. when you use it you get a magical plant from combining two elements. one could grow training tomes one could grow gold and one could grow wood to make more stuff in the enchanting table which would allow us to make furniture and even equippable items. this is more a combination of my ideas for crafting or gardening. but to be more reasonable i want it to be like wizard where you dont have to do some weird process. i like the idea of gardening still its the spiral we could make yum yum trees that can be used to refill as pet snacks or used to make mojo potions instead of playing games or getting blue yum. also seeing how pet training is easier on pirate and i use all my energy on that i would like to see instead of using spells we get items that ward off pests instead or water plants. sprinklers bug zappers etc and after being in use for so long these items break and can be fixed with crafting this would add a companion ability to go get gardening equipment
so to recap here are my ideas
make a crafting table which can make seeds and equipment.
make plants that give crafting items or pet snacks or have other things that can be a different way to make a part of the game less annoying such as a mojo potion restorer or healing essences for bed rest companions
dont make it a long annoying process
and instead of using energy use items that are made by crafting or gotten by companions
this would add a new aspect to the game and make others less annoying. thanks

Ensign
Nov 05, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 15, 2016 wrote:
It could activate when you port to your house, I imagine an automatic pop-up of the clue on a map.
Example: clue says "three steps North to a shady tree" and on the map, an "X" with the words "start here".
Note: I'm considering that you must have a house to Treasure Hunt, the bunkhouse you start with would be hopeless for this.
We have different views about this concept. You're thinking of a treasure hunt within our house. Whereas i'm thinking of a distant island far away of your house.
But your idea is interesting, indeed.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Docterteer on Aug 17, 2016 wrote:
We have different views about this concept. You're thinking of a treasure hunt within our house. Whereas i'm thinking of a distant island far away of your house.
But your idea is interesting, indeed.
I thought, because your concept was to replace Gardening ( which is done in your house in W101 ) that this was what you meant.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
Something to consider regarding pirate gardening... it's often stated that it could be modeled after the methods used in Wizard101 but it's important to remember that wizard gardening is all done through magic. No watering cans, no music players, no sun lamps, no bug sprays... all magic. Even the gardening plots are created by magical means. The only tangible, physical gardening items are the portable pots and the "plant likes" items we place around our gardens to boost performance. With that in mind, shifting this all over to mesh with the Pirate 101 mechanic is not so easy. First, not being the magical types, we're not equipped with the animations, or the spells to be able to provide water, sun, music, pest removal etc. at the wave of a hand, wink of an eye... you get the message. All of that would need to be programmed into the game... or an alternate method of gardening would have to be adopted.
One thought I had was a dedicated companion gardening assistant. You'd receive this companion at the same level at which you'd be eligible to begin gardening... let's say level 10 for the sake of argument. As you level up the companion, he/she would gain new gardening abilities. In their "tasks" column could be added a "Growin'" category which would then allow for their increase of ability in digging new plots, watering, spraying for pests etc... all of the things that normally go along with plant care. If you leave this companion at your home they could be set to "Growin'" which would then allow them to care for your plants while you're off lootin' and plunderin'. I'm thinking adding something like this would be as easy, if not easier, than re-programming all the pirate avatars with gardening animations... it would only take the creation of this one companion along with the addition of seed drops etc.

Lieutenant
Oct 26, 2013
TucsonWizard on Aug 17, 2016 wrote:
Something to consider regarding pirate gardening... it's often stated that it could be modeled after the methods used in Wizard101 but it's important to remember that wizard gardening is all done through magic. No watering cans, no music players, no sun lamps, no bug sprays... all magic. Even the gardening plots are created by magical means. The only tangible, physical gardening items are the portable pots and the "plant likes" items we place around our gardens to boost performance. With that in mind, shifting this all over to mesh with the Pirate 101 mechanic is not so easy. First, not being the magical types, we're not equipped with the animations, or the spells to be able to provide water, sun, music, pest removal etc. at the wave of a hand, wink of an eye... you get the message. All of that would need to be programmed into the game... or an alternate method of gardening would have to be adopted.
One thought I had was a dedicated companion gardening assistant. You'd receive this companion at the same level at which you'd be eligible to begin gardening... let's say level 10 for the sake of argument. As you level up the companion, he/she would gain new gardening abilities. In their "tasks" column could be added a "Growin'" category which would then allow for their increase of ability in digging new plots, watering, spraying for pests etc... all of the things that normally go along with plant care. If you leave this companion at your home they could be set to "Growin'" which would then allow them to care for your plants while you're off lootin' and plunderin'. I'm thinking adding something like this would be as easy, if not easier, than re-programming all the pirate avatars with gardening animations... it would only take the creation of this one companion along with the addition of seed drops etc.
i agree we would use companions to speed up the process but i dont think we should rely on them. also items like a bug zapper or watering can would be easy to implement. instead of growin i'm thinking we would add two things smithin' and gardenin. smithing would make tools and gardening would use those tools to water plants zap bugs and do other things if you have to leave for a while instead of using energy tools would have limited uses like i said in my previous post.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I have an idea for regular vs elder harvest. You dig up the treasure chest and look, a pet snack and, gasp, another treasure map! Eventually, a chain of maps leads you to the big treasure!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Aug 18, 2016 wrote:
I have an idea for regular vs elder harvest. You dig up the treasure chest and look, a pet snack and, gasp, another treasure map! Eventually, a chain of maps leads you to the big treasure!
Nice to see your name appearing on the message boards again, Calamity!

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2012
I really like this idea, but would be the "plots" we would use from home? would we have like a table in our house with the details of each and every treasure hunt we had going on? because that would be awesome! love a room in my house dedicated to sending out fleets of ships to get me gold and others stuff.