Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why Are We Not Being Heard?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 26, 2019
I have seen an abundance of posts on here and other platforms, such as Google Reviews, that an update is wanted. I have seen so many people leave this game due to a lack of updates. Personally, I haven't played in months. I have read at least 10, if not 20 of the same exact complains. My question to KI is... Why is virtually nothing being done? Every time someone explains their frustration due to the lack of updates, Bat Masterson apologizes and then nothing else is done. It seems like a never ending cycle. By the way, I am not at all blaming Bat Masterson, he is told what to respond, he makes no decisions on these matters. I truthfully believe that this company does not value customer input because we gave them consistent, unwavering input as to what we want and it would appear that we are being ignored by everyone that works for the company except for Bat Masterson.

So, what should KI do?

I think that some of the higher-ups at KI need to see these messages. They are the ones who will ultimately decide the game's fate. I also firmly believe that without a storyline update, this game will continue to decrease in popularity, revenue, and reputation. Small, bite-sized updates are not going to cut it considering we haven't had an update in several years. Most of all, I think we all agree that we want to feel heard. We don't want a "sorry, but no". We want a "Hmm, it seems like a lot of people are requesting this, we should come up with a plan of action to make this a reality." If something doesn't happen soon, I'm going to give up on this company. I know this was a rant, but I hope that at the very least that this is considered, though I doubt it will be. I have been playing this game on various accounts for 5 years now. While I am angry, I believe this anger stems from sadness at seeing a childhood game whither away.

Thank you for reading. I would love to hear other's thoughts on this, and maybe even thoughts from an employee.
(I would sign off with my pirates name, but I haven't played in so long, I've forgotten it.)

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
"Lack of resources" has been the continual reply when someone asks why no updates.

The priority since the original two MMO teams merged into one (2016) has been Wizard101. It's the flagship game, it's the larger community and larger revenue stream (cash cow?) for Kingsisle. Somewhere along the line, management decided that Pirate101 was a problem they didn't know how to deal with, and that the game could be put on the back burner for a while.

After a while, the back burner blew its fuse because so much power was being redirected to the front burner, and management didn't care to replace the fuse, because all of the new fuses they have only fit Wizard101's front burner, and getting a Pirate101 fuse and a knowledgeable installer is just too expensive.

That's why we orphaned pirates are being served cold porridge from the back burner.

Ensign
Nov 26, 2011
Willowydream on Jul 22, 2020 wrote:
"Lack of resources" has been the continual reply when someone asks why no updates.

The priority since the original two MMO teams merged into one (2016) has been Wizard101. It's the flagship game, it's the larger community and larger revenue stream (cash cow?) for Kingsisle. Somewhere along the line, management decided that Pirate101 was a problem they didn't know how to deal with, and that the game could be put on the back burner for a while.

After a while, the back burner blew its fuse because so much power was being redirected to the front burner, and management didn't care to replace the fuse, because all of the new fuses they have only fit Wizard101's front burner, and getting a Pirate101 fuse and a knowledgeable installer is just too expensive.

That's why we orphaned pirates are being served cold porridge from the back burner.

It really is appalling how we've been treated. I'm strongly considering unsubbing, at least until my enthusiasm returns (if it does...)

We have all been given the truest taste of what Kingsisle's product "support" looks like. They've shown that a game's population or potential is absolutely meaningless to them. Pirate101 had TONS of players when neglect (not a loss of enthusiasm) killed its base. Pirate101 has ALWAYS had the potential to recover, and they've not done anything about it.

If management needed any more proof that this game could still thrive, they need look no further than the dumpster fire that is Fallout 76 (I'm sure they're taking notes, just not the right kind). After debatably worse management in its short ONE year of life than this game has seen in five, it is on the recovery. Within a few years, it will end up thriving like Elder Scrolls Online or World of Warcraft - its misfired launch and terrible customer treatment forgotten. I consider it the gravest insult possible that Fallout 76, which belongs in the trash heap of gaming history, is not only getting better treatment by an arguably more corrupt company, but will likely outlive Pirate101 in its longevity and popularity.

What is the real lesson of Pirate101? Every single product on Kingsisle's list is 100% subject to the whims of Management - forget profit or popularity, because that's not what they look at. EVERYONE knows that if Pirate101 had been treated properly, it would be thriving like Wizard101. We know it and they know it.

All I can say is, when they shut down Pirate101, the first thing I will do is cancel my subscription to Wizard101, and I will never touch a Kingsisle product again. If they want to ignore everything in favor of their cash cow (and floundering mobile games), I'm going to make sure that my part in keeping that cow afloat sinks with Pirate101. Because if they'll do it to us, they'll do it to them - or any game, and I don't plan to stick around to be mistreated a second time - nor do I plan to continue to shell out money to a company that cares so little for its customers.

Ensign
Apr 06, 2019
Orebit on Jul 23, 2020 wrote:
It really is appalling how we've been treated. I'm strongly considering unsubbing, at least until my enthusiasm returns (if it does...)

We have all been given the truest taste of what Kingsisle's product "support" looks like. They've shown that a game's population or potential is absolutely meaningless to them. Pirate101 had TONS of players when neglect (not a loss of enthusiasm) killed its base. Pirate101 has ALWAYS had the potential to recover, and they've not done anything about it.

If management needed any more proof that this game could still thrive, they need look no further than the dumpster fire that is Fallout 76 (I'm sure they're taking notes, just not the right kind). After debatably worse management in its short ONE year of life than this game has seen in five, it is on the recovery. Within a few years, it will end up thriving like Elder Scrolls Online or World of Warcraft - its misfired launch and terrible customer treatment forgotten. I consider it the gravest insult possible that Fallout 76, which belongs in the trash heap of gaming history, is not only getting better treatment by an arguably more corrupt company, but will likely outlive Pirate101 in its longevity and popularity.

What is the real lesson of Pirate101? Every single product on Kingsisle's list is 100% subject to the whims of Management - forget profit or popularity, because that's not what they look at. EVERYONE knows that if Pirate101 had been treated properly, it would be thriving like Wizard101. We know it and they know it.

All I can say is, when they shut down Pirate101, the first thing I will do is cancel my subscription to Wizard101, and I will never touch a Kingsisle product again. If they want to ignore everything in favor of their cash cow (and floundering mobile games), I'm going to make sure that my part in keeping that cow afloat sinks with Pirate101. Because if they'll do it to us, they'll do it to them - or any game, and I don't plan to stick around to be mistreated a second time - nor do I plan to continue to shell out money to a company that cares so little for its customers.
I'm glad you mentioned FO76 actually. It came to Steam a couple months back, same as W101 did, and from what I can tell, that's actually improved its population. Similarly, Sea of Thieves came to Steam recently and also saw great success and population growth after selling around 1 million copies in the first month. Even SWTOR, which has come to Steam just a few days ago, has had a surge in its population.

As we should all know, Wizard101 came to Steam just a couple years ago, however KI stated at the time that they have no intention of bringing Pirate101 to Steam. Why? I don't think it's out of the question that W101 picked up some new players by coming to Steam. Not to mention the games mentioned above which have seen great success after their move to Steam.

The P101 community is begged to spread word of the game in order to increase its population again (an issue that would never have been present if content was produced regularly). Is bringing P101 to Steam not an obvious solution in order to put the population on the mend?

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I can’t help but wonder if they’re intentionally driving people away to hit a certain low number of subscribers. When they hit that number they can say, “Oh, look, it failed. We can shut it down now.” I deeply hope that isn’t the reality but it certainly feels like management is actively trying to kill the game.

Ensign
Jun 08, 2020
We're not being heard because unfortunately Kingsisle does not seem to care about their players as much as we care about their games. I've cancelled my Pirate101 subscription and don't plan on renewing it or playing the game until they release a new world, even if it's just a "side world" like Wysteria was in Wizard101.

It's sad because Pirate101 has so much potential, it's story is arguably better than Wizard101's and it battle + companion system is totally unique and one of the best things about the game. We can clearly see Kingsisle has enough resources to fix Pirate101's myriad of problems as they just released a giant update for Wizard101 and nerfed everything from Celestia up (if I'm not mistaken).

Kingsisle loves our money but they don't love us, and that's the biggest problem which transcends both of Kingsisle's MMORPGs. I really do believe that fans of this company's game will need to keep fighting and never stop bringing it up until they're simply forced to address what they're going to do with Pirate101.

I doubt the people at Kingsisle even read these forums but I believe it's important to keep on repeating that we need a new world in some shape or form - seriously it has been 4 years. Valencia part 2 came out when I was a freshman in high school and now I'm about to be a freshman in college in a little over a month from now. That's ridiculous. We also need a nerf or balancing in higher worlds, especially towards the end of Aquila and Valencia part 2. I had way more trouble doing the Bob's Your Uncle and Laestrygon with the Wind quests than I did with Kane's dungeon, that makes no sense, considering Kane is the final boss and final bosses are supposed to be the hardest and most difficult people to beat. We need a fix on a bunch of glitches. I've had to fight the same enemy twice because the quest I was doing didn't count the first time on multiple occasions. Lastly we need to tweak the drop rates for defeat & collect quests like what was done for Wizard101. I dread defeat & collect quests because those quests take forever and run through your companions.

I love both Wizard101 and Pirate101 and I will forever be grateful to Kingsisle for making my childhood, but please fix the games so we can keep on playing and supporting the company.

Administrator
tbc2374 on Jul 27, 2020 wrote:
We're not being heard because unfortunately Kingsisle does not seem to care about their players as much as we care about their games. I've cancelled my Pirate101 subscription and don't plan on renewing it or playing the game until they release a new world, even if it's just a "side world" like Wysteria was in Wizard101.

It's sad because Pirate101 has so much potential, it's story is arguably better than Wizard101's and it battle + companion system is totally unique and one of the best things about the game. We can clearly see Kingsisle has enough resources to fix Pirate101's myriad of problems as they just released a giant update for Wizard101 and nerfed everything from Celestia up (if I'm not mistaken).

Kingsisle loves our money but they don't love us, and that's the biggest problem which transcends both of Kingsisle's MMORPGs. I really do believe that fans of this company's game will need to keep fighting and never stop bringing it up until they're simply forced to address what they're going to do with Pirate101.

I doubt the people at Kingsisle even read these forums but I believe it's important to keep on repeating that we need a new world in some shape or form - seriously it has been 4 years. Valencia part 2 came out when I was a freshman in high school and now I'm about to be a freshman in college in a little over a month from now. That's ridiculous. We also need a nerf or balancing in higher worlds, especially towards the end of Aquila and Valencia part 2. I had way more trouble doing the Bob's Your Uncle and Laestrygon with the Wind quests than I did with Kane's dungeon, that makes no sense, considering Kane is the final boss and final bosses are supposed to be the hardest and most difficult people to beat. We need a fix on a bunch of glitches. I've had to fight the same enemy twice because the quest I was doing didn't count the first time on multiple occasions. Lastly we need to tweak the drop rates for defeat & collect quests like what was done for Wizard101. I dread defeat & collect quests because those quests take forever and run through your companions.

I love both Wizard101 and Pirate101 and I will forever be grateful to Kingsisle for making my childhood, but please fix the games so we can keep on playing and supporting the company.
Hi tbc2374! We absolutely do read these forums, every single post. We have to approve them after all :). The passion and dedication by the community is something we love to see, and want to do what we can in these areas.

I wish we had more to say, but as we've already posted a few times in various areas, there are currently no plans for a major game update.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Bat Masterson on Jul 31, 2020 wrote:
Hi tbc2374! We absolutely do read these forums, every single post. We have to approve them after all :). The passion and dedication by the community is something we love to see, and want to do what we can in these areas.

I wish we had more to say, but as we've already posted a few times in various areas, there are currently no plans for a major game update.
There are so few posts these days, approval is easily done.

"No plans for a major game update" - players would be overjoyed to hear about ANY game update, is all we're saying.

Ensign
Jul 01, 2009
Yes, you have said that many times, but you’ve never explained why. It’s completely understandable that you’re doing your best, it would just be received better if there were answers as to why nothing is able to be done instead of continuously being reminded that nothing is being done. There’s no question about your team/company’s amazing talent and capabilities, the biggest thing is why is that unable to be applied here as well. We still appreciate and support you all, we would just like clarity.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
We are not being heard because KI chooses not to listen. It really is as simple as that.

Ensign
Dec 30, 2014
this is really sad. PLEASE UPDATE!!!!!

Why? Just tell us why there's no update and what we can do to help the KI staff team. That's all! We could definitely help!

Admiral
May 30, 2010
ping2007864 on Aug 16, 2020 wrote:
this is really sad. PLEASE UPDATE!!!!!

Why? Just tell us why there's no update and what we can do to help the KI staff team. That's all! We could definitely help!
Give them all our money and stop asking for anything in return. It's been their functional model for the last 4 years and it works (except for the bit about us not asking for anything in exchange for our $$$).