Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Broadside combat suggestion

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 15, 2009
I have found it to be a bit disheartening that broadside combat so time consuming. The biggest reason is that enemy ships always tend try to board you, even if you are winning the fight. I have a mere suggestion that I myself thought sounded pretty fair and would at least fix the boarding issue. In my idea, KI would simply make it to where not only must a ship have below 50% health for you to board it, but your own ship's health must proportionally higher than the ship you want to board, meaning it goes by percentage. So take one ship with 100 max health and another with 200 max health. If the 200 health ship had 50 health, and the other had 30, the one with 200 max would not be able to board the ship with 100 because it only has 25% of its max health as to where the other has 30%. A stronger ship cannot be boarded by a more wounded ship basically. Now if it had 90/200 vs. 20/100, the ratio would be 45% to 20% and the weaker ship could then be boarded.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
If your ship health goes yellow but the enemy is also yellow or red, what you do is start circling toward their stern (rear end). They only have one direction they travel in their attempt to Board your ship, so they will chase you in that circle.

Circling them until you sink them is a perfect counter to being boarded.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Emperor of Life on Mar 23, 2017 wrote:
I have found it to be a bit disheartening that broadside combat so time consuming. The biggest reason is that enemy ships always tend try to board you, even if you are winning the fight. I have a mere suggestion that I myself thought sounded pretty fair and would at least fix the boarding issue. In my idea, KI would simply make it to where not only must a ship have below 50% health for you to board it, but your own ship's health must proportionally higher than the ship you want to board, meaning it goes by percentage. So take one ship with 100 max health and another with 200 max health. If the 200 health ship had 50 health, and the other had 30, the one with 200 max would not be able to board the ship with 100 because it only has 25% of its max health as to where the other has 30%. A stronger ship cannot be boarded by a more wounded ship basically. Now if it had 90/200 vs. 20/100, the ratio would be 45% to 20% and the weaker ship could then be boarded.
If those ships are trying to board you, use your mojo potion! Great Bartleby, ship combat is too easy as it is!

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
Emperor of Life on Mar 23, 2017 wrote:
welcome to the boards!

because of your question, I learned something from Willow! lol :) gotta say, though i liked your suggestion it seems a bit complicated? not to say it wouldn't be neat feature but possibly as an elite elixir in the crown shop perhaps? though anecorbie is right about mojo potions and they are FUN to refill via p101 games, and if miss willow is correct(i bet she is ;D) then most ships can be defeated >:D I'm gonna have to test that circling like I'm a shark tactic.. tyvm for sharing your idea though, Emperor.. never be afraid to post :) hugs and cookies

o and dont forget there are quite a few ships that drop super-special items ONLY if they are boarded..

stormy jen silver

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
The other thing to remember is that if the board you, their crew is at the same level their ship was in, while you and your crew are at full health!

When I saw a ship that is in red approach mine that just barely turned yellow, I think, "Come to Papa!" I can usually finish the fight off in one round.

PLUS, (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't it supposed to be more likely that you will get the drops you need if you win after boarding than if you defeat the ship before that?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Max DeGroot on Mar 27, 2017 wrote:
The other thing to remember is that if the board you, their crew is at the same level their ship was in, while you and your crew are at full health!

When I saw a ship that is in red approach mine that just barely turned yellow, I think, "Come to Papa!" I can usually finish the fight off in one round.

PLUS, (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't it supposed to be more likely that you will get the drops you need if you win after boarding than if you defeat the ship before that?
You get totally different drops if you defeat the ship without boarding. You get gold, a chance for scrip, and a chance for ship equipment. If you board/get boarded, you only have a chance at the regular battleboard loot table.

You do get Nautical experience either way, but you get a bit of normal xp from winning the deck battle.