Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is it just me, or the game is way too easy?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 26, 2018
I was having a breeze through the first 4 worlds (maaybe a tiny bit difficult in the very beginning of CR) but I heard Mooshu will be much harder so I was so excited about getting there. So, I'm in Mooshu now but the game is still very easy. I just had some difficulties with the Sky Dragons (Sarah's promotion) and then I realized my talents were wrong (From now on, I'm maxing Tough for main companions) so I had a grand reset and then the world just became SO easy. Just one (sometimes two) companion gets to yellow health, and I win. I was expecting a harder world, really. I didn't even fight with the Governor of Yagizawa Village now but I've been doing sides. So really, is the whole game this easy? If so, please make it harder. PLEASE.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wiwade on Dec 5, 2018 wrote:
I was having a breeze through the first 4 worlds (maaybe a tiny bit difficult in the very beginning of CR) but I heard Mooshu will be much harder so I was so excited about getting there. So, I'm in Mooshu now but the game is still very easy. I just had some difficulties with the Sky Dragons (Sarah's promotion) and then I realized my talents were wrong (From now on, I'm maxing Tough for main companions) so I had a grand reset and then the world just became SO easy. Just one (sometimes two) companion gets to yellow health, and I win. I was expecting a harder world, really. I didn't even fight with the Governor of Yagizawa Village now but I've been doing sides. So really, is the whole game this easy? If so, please make it harder. PLEASE.
OK, I hate these posts complaining that the game is too easy and asking to make it harder, when you were the one to make it easier for you?!
When you made the adjustments to your companions by giving them tough, ( not really a Swashbuckler talent )< and perhaps reducing their dodge and agility? Along with those players who farm every bit of the best equipment then beg KI to make it harder to match your over-compensated, self!
This game is geared to the average player, if you want a harder game try using the companions you don't like and use basic gear! The tools are in your hands to make the game harder or easier on yourself.
P.S. I hope the royal guard of Valencia hand you your head on a platter!

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
The game relatively stays the same until Valencia 2, and even then, Valencia 2 is still easy.
Scratch that, the game is still the same. It's the same bad AI that walks into blood flames, it's the same AI that uses an assassin on a summoned scorpion, it's the same AI that does the same with vicious. Best Gear that's easy to get, My Witch set (Guardian Helm, Fort robe, Moo bots, phules wand/nef staff, revive patch, heat metal/will totem, absorb charm, moo ring. Pet that gives a bunch of useless epics and a revive. Easily grinded all of this within 4 hours, most of it set on weapons.)

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
You are probably a bit higher level than the fights are designed for. Side quests tend to do that. Are you keeping your crew at the same level as your pirate? If you leave them 2 or 3 levels below your pirate's level, that would also up the challenge a bit. You can also try fighting the beasts between the storm gates, out in the spiral, for the highest area you can get to. They tend to be a bit tougher than regular creatures. Maybe you are just really good at this.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on Dec 6, 2018 wrote:
OK, I hate these posts complaining that the game is too easy and asking to make it harder, when you were the one to make it easier for you?!
When you made the adjustments to your companions by giving them tough, ( not really a Swashbuckler talent )< and perhaps reducing their dodge and agility? Along with those players who farm every bit of the best equipment then beg KI to make it harder to match your over-compensated, self!
This game is geared to the average player, if you want a harder game try using the companions you don't like and use basic gear! The tools are in your hands to make the game harder or easier on yourself.
Um...

It's understandable if you don't like these kind of threads, but you also have to understand Wiwade's tone. The title of the post is literally called, "Is it Just Me, or the Game is Way Too Easy?" He's asking us if we think this way too, or if it really isn't all as easy as it is for this lucky Pirate.

But personally, I believe your P.S. was very rude and, honestly, you're blaming Wiwade for the game being easy.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if Pirate101 was a little easier! I agree 100% with what you're saying, but please, watch your tone.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Good for you.

Pirate101 is aimed at the average casual player and children, not "hardcore" gamers of the like found in the raid lobby of GW2. Quests and boss fights aren't meant to be wildly difficult - the average player might need a few tries at a harder boss to pull a win, but a more experienced P101 player or someone who has outside MMO experience can walk through most fights pretty easily, especially if they're overleveled and have decent gear. I am assuming you fall into this category, since MooShu's difficulty does ramp up from Cool Ranch if you're not expecting it.

Every now and then one of these "elitist" posts pops up and to be quite frank it comes off as incredibly arrogant. Overall the game isn't too easy or too hard; there's a good mix of tough battles and quick quests especially for first time and casual players. Certain builds and strategies can indeed skew your experience one way or the other. KI isn't going to bow down and adjust the entire game just because you've happened upon a build or strategy that lets you get by with a little less struggle than other players.

So, no, Pirate101 is not "way too easy," nor does it need to be made more difficult. It's balanced for the majority skill level of its player base.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
This game is meant for kids, and the difficulty for main storyline content isn't meant to be hard. If you're looking for difficulty-centric PvE, here are some recommendations:

1) Obsidian key bosses, unlocked at level 70
2) Gold key Krampus, gold keys drop from 65+ enemies.
3) Tower of Moo Manchu, unlocked at level 50
4) Kane, unlocked at the end of the game
5) Dreadnaught, randomly spawning boss in Skull Island skyways
6) Smuggler's Arena, gauntlet that can be bought in the crowns shop

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
A lot of the early game has just been a victim of power creep. Pirates and their companions have always been getting buffs while enemies have for the most part stayed mediocre. We’ve gotten the Scratch powers, more epic talents for our companions in 2015, the blade storm change, tons more epic talents for your pirate if you have a good pet, swashbuckler companions gaining access to tough talents, the new starter companions, meanwhile most enemies have bad talents and can no longer outnumber you.
The only non-gauntlet enemies pre Valencia 2 who I could still consider a threat would be manticores and I guess the Rooke fight if his cheats catch you off guard. Some of you might remember when Satyrs were a pain, but then the blade storm change happened and now they’re really easy to kill.
There’s still challenge in most of the end game content though and maybe a bit more of Aquila, so there’s that. You can still get a bit of a challenge if you try using random companion selection, normal battles can be a little more interesting if you aren’t using the “meta” companions.

Ensign
Oct 26, 2018
anecorbie on Dec 6, 2018 wrote:
So... I don't care THAT much about equipment (I still have the dutchman/chok/the master gear) and my items are rather bad, I just did sides and I might be a little overleveled, but I am sure I wouldn't have difficulties even if I did what you suggested (using companions I don't like). Not trying to be arrogant, in fact, I might try so just to prove it. As for your P.S., I hope so.

Again, not trying to be arrogant because this is my highest pirate so far, but the game felt just too easy for me. I guess I will just wait until I reach higher levels to do Moo Manchu, key bosses or whatnot.

Stormy Isaac (Level 42 )

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Wiwade on Dec 8, 2018 wrote:
So... I don't care THAT much about equipment (I still have the dutchman/chok/the master gear) and my items are rather bad, I just did sides and I might be a little overleveled, but I am sure I wouldn't have difficulties even if I did what you suggested (using companions I don't like). Not trying to be arrogant, in fact, I might try so just to prove it. As for your P.S., I hope so.

Again, not trying to be arrogant because this is my highest pirate so far, but the game felt just too easy for me. I guess I will just wait until I reach higher levels to do Moo Manchu, key bosses or whatnot.

Stormy Isaac (Level 42 )
If your complaint is that the game is too easy, why are you hesitating to do Moo or the key bosses now? Or are you just saying you're not there yet but you hope they are harder?

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Dec 9, 2018 wrote:
If your complaint is that the game is too easy, why are you hesitating to do Moo or the key bosses now? Or are you just saying you're not there yet but you hope they are harder?
Based on OP, he can't access yet.

To be fair, the Dutchman/chok/master gear is pretty much better then normal stat gear (imo) till moo, where you can get hides/assassin/poison gear.

Petty Officer
Oct 31, 2012
Yeah it was alot more difficult before they changed Skull island and added all those extra mainline story quests.

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
I want to say it gets difficult but seeing as I hit level 70 entering Marleybone everything was outright easy for me. (Maybe a little bit tough at palace guards) so I cannot offer any input.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Sensible Seamus on Jan 10, 2019 wrote:
Yeah it was alot more difficult before they changed Skull island and added all those extra mainline story quests.
Yes, this is a huge factor in people finding things pretty easy these days. We used to only get about 5 levels in the free-to-play content, and now people can get 8 to 10 before moving on.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
Boy then you missed some "real fun" when Pirate first came out
That was just a major horror scene with no one knowing what or how to do anything lol
The Stupendor X battle was impossible and the censors were working on overtime.
(we won't mention having to run our way through the entire spiral and God forbid remembering Cool Ranch without the Stage Coach)

Right now I'm going through the spiral with a friend so I think it's at a nice difficulty for us to chat while still playing.

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
I think the OP has a legitimate question...I asked myself the same thing...

And then I hit Aquila!

I was starting to lose companions a couple times per session. I had to come up with new strategies, and even fight a few battles a couple of times. It was very fun, and I loved the challenge of it. Keep going, I'm certain you'll hit content that will surprise you (even just a little bit). Otherwise, Alex's suggestions were great. Smuggler's Arena is fun, even if you just do a practice round.

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
It's just you. You know how many players ask for the game to be easier? A lot. Just ask ratbeard about anything, and I bet He'll SHOW you how easy the game is!

Ensign
Jun 25, 2014
MistyDragon13 on Dec 6, 2018 wrote:
Good for you.

Pirate101 is aimed at the average casual player and children, not "hardcore" gamers of the like found in the raid lobby of GW2. Quests and boss fights aren't meant to be wildly difficult - the average player might need a few tries at a harder boss to pull a win, but a more experienced P101 player or someone who has outside MMO experience can walk through most fights pretty easily, especially if they're overleveled and have decent gear. I am assuming you fall into this category, since MooShu's difficulty does ramp up from Cool Ranch if you're not expecting it.

Every now and then one of these "elitist" posts pops up and to be quite frank it comes off as incredibly arrogant. Overall the game isn't too easy or too hard; there's a good mix of tough battles and quick quests especially for first time and casual players. Certain builds and strategies can indeed skew your experience one way or the other. KI isn't going to bow down and adjust the entire game just because you've happened upon a build or strategy that lets you get by with a little less struggle than other players.

So, no, Pirate101 is not "way too easy," nor does it need to be made more difficult. It's balanced for the majority skill level of its player base.
Okay so first I want to say, OMG someone plays GW2! But anyways

I do agree this game is based around kid type of audience and not the most hardcore players out there. I think if you want the game harder try out putting companions that aren't that good. But I hope you find a way to make the game harder, more than the average person would play as, but anyways hope you find a way to make it harder and funnier for yourself. Hope you keep playing the game and not quit because its to easy, and anyways the story, the voice acting is good to check it out(if you haven't already) Anyways have a nice day.

Tireless Cole, 54 or something

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
food1017 on Feb 5, 2019 wrote:

I do agree this game is based around kid type of audience and not the most hardcore players out there. I think if you want the game harder try out putting companions that aren't that good. But I hope you find a way to make the game harder, more than the average person would play as, but anyways hope you find a way to make it harder and funnier for yourself. Hope you keep playing the game and not quit because its to easy, and anyways the story, the voice acting is good to check it out(if you haven't already) Anyways have a nice day.

They don't need to make not good companions, because they're already EVERYWHERE! You want hard? Drege up the worst companions in your roster, fail, and then wish they were better. Trust me, you'll know what I mean if you try.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
food1017 on Feb 5, 2019 wrote:

There are many ways to increase the challenge. Try fighting with a wooden sword, the very first one you used. Pretty funny! Put your crew on tasks, all of them, and see if you can solo it, truly solo. Sometimes just a bit of downgrading of gear can do the trick. If your crew is not all at your level, you can use lower crew, or ones with very non-optimal talents for the enemies you are facing. That should increase the difficulty. You can also go for crazy clothes based on looks not stats, have fun with it. Play and be playful!