Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Overriding Auto Attack

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
The Auto Attack feature is nice except for one thing:

There are times when I don't want my companions to move, just take on enemies that approach them. This protects my Witch Doctor/Musketeer/Privateer from attack.

With Auto Attack, however, just like my pets who move from the position next to my pirate, my companions will move even when I don't want them to.

Is there a way to prevent that if I don't have a command to give them that the execute in place?

Administrator
You'll need to toggle off the feature per the Update Notes: https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/update_notes/september2017

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
So basically, it's either everybody all the time, or nobody ever.

Would be nice to have an option in fighting to leave auto on, but select one or more to do nothing this round.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Sep 27, 2017 wrote:
So basically, it's either everybody all the time, or nobody ever.

Would be nice to have an option in fighting to leave auto on, but select one or more to do nothing this round.
Either On or Off, just like any other Option available. Mine is permanently OFF!

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
I think the OP means something else.

If you have experimented with auto-combat when it is on, you can over-ride it by clicking on companions and from here you can choose their moves. You can literally do the all the same things in normal combat in such a situation, EXCEPT stand still. From my experience, this does not work.

What I think the OP wants is the ability to make his companion stand still in auto-combat, by over-riding it. It's a reasonable feature, although I do not think it is vital. If you really need to be that tactical by having companions stand still, then it is best to turn of auto-combat in such fights.

Meanwhile if you are a max keen to farm Phule for example, but you are bored out of your mind at how simple the fight is, turn on Auto Combat, grab some popcorn and do something else.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
The solution is to move the selected companion just one space in any direction or have them use a power. If that is not an option, then you will have to adjust your strategy to accommodate their running forward, or turn off the automation.

In Test Realm, I suggested that the mechanic be tweaked so that companions whose main class is ranged have their default to NOT move but just check for an enemy within range that they can attack.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Why did they decide on this? Doesn't it remove the joy of battle? Why would you want to remove your ability to be strategic?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Sep 28, 2017 wrote:
The solution is to move the selected companion just one space in any direction or have them use a power. If that is not an option, then you will have to adjust your strategy to accommodate their running forward, or turn off the automation.

In Test Realm, I suggested that the mechanic be tweaked so that companions whose main class is ranged have their default to NOT move but just check for an enemy within range that they can attack.

Enemies like crates? If crates are in range that is a musketeer's default attack with the Automated option.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Here's the point, and I made it in the original post:

Auto attack is good, if for some reason I get up to go to the bathroom, and don't get back before the next round starts.

But, if I leave it on, and want my companions to stay in one spot to protect a particularly vulnerable teammate or my pirate (especially if my pirate is a witch doctor/privateer/musketeer) I have no means to do that. Moving over one spot leaves that one spot available for the enemy to step into and attack the character I'm trying to protect. Remember, when you move, any other character cannot go to the square moved from.

Now, If I have a power that executes in place, such as a power buff, a witchdoctor spell, or s musketeer's shot, no problem. However, if my companion has no such in place ability, I am forced to move them.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 28, 2017 wrote:
Enemies like crates? If crates are in range that is a musketeer's default attack with the Automated option.
Better to shoot a crate than run forward into the melee.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I agree, Max. We really need to be able to tell our crew (and pets, really) to Sit! Stay! for a round.