Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateer Summon(s)

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
Ahoy!

Yes, I realize summons are a witchdoctor thing, but It would be cool if Privateers could have at least one. I figured it could be like an X pattern summon (5 units). They would be some kind Marlybone character (Privateers or Musketeers most likely). If it were Privateers, they could all have one weak team heal. If it were Musks, they could have some kind of weak trap. Just an idea for a future update.

Cedric Moone

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
PiratePablo1 on Jul 5, 2017 wrote:
Ahoy!

Yes, I realize summons are a witchdoctor thing, but It would be cool if Privateers could have at least one. I figured it could be like an X pattern summon (5 units). They would be some kind Marlybone character (Privateers or Musketeers most likely). If it were Privateers, they could all have one weak team heal. If it were Musks, they could have some kind of weak trap. Just an idea for a future update.

Cedric Moone
I reckon a power for privateers to summon a reinforcement would be cool

The idea that pops into my head now is basically a power which would summon a soldier from one of the imperial powers, so basically characters that are apart of the army or navy of one of the nations of the spiral

Community Leader
I'll be blunt. No. Never. Looking from a pvp perspective, privateer is a mid to top tier class as they currently are. The current summon-based privateer (utilizing scorps/trees, scratch, etc) is arguably a better setup than melee privateer, as it is a very oppressive, borderline broken setup. Now we want to give them even more summons, summons that CAN have their level boosted by Old Scratch? This would be just a *tad* broken for pvp.

I'm opposed to it in pvp, for different reasons. I have played Magic: The Gathering for a few years, and I've occasionally read design articles. One aspect of design that is emphasized is not having effects "bleed" over between colors of mana (the equivalent of pirate101's classes). If there is a "bleed" between two colors, the effect that bled is generally weakened. For example, card draw is a mechanic that is mainly featured in blue mana. If it shows up in other colors of mana it is generally less cost efficient or features a drawback. Thus I oppose giving an effect that is a major feature of the witchdoctor class to another class with no significant debuff in power.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
Matthew525011 on Jul 6, 2017 wrote:
I'll be blunt. No. Never. Looking from a pvp perspective, privateer is a mid to top tier class as they currently are. The current summon-based privateer (utilizing scorps/trees, scratch, etc) is arguably a better setup than melee privateer, as it is a very oppressive, borderline broken setup. Now we want to give them even more summons, summons that CAN have their level boosted by Old Scratch? This would be just a *tad* broken for pvp.

I'm opposed to it in pvp, for different reasons. I have played Magic: The Gathering for a few years, and I've occasionally read design articles. One aspect of design that is emphasized is not having effects "bleed" over between colors of mana (the equivalent of pirate101's classes). If there is a "bleed" between two colors, the effect that bled is generally weakened. For example, card draw is a mechanic that is mainly featured in blue mana. If it shows up in other colors of mana it is generally less cost efficient or features a drawback. Thus I oppose giving an effect that is a major feature of the witchdoctor class to another class with no significant debuff in power.
I could see how it could cause problems in PVP, and, as I don't PVP, I won't argue....

But if it would be such an issue for PVP, then just limit it to PVE. My point is that a power like this would fit the Privateer since they would have powerful military allies. It would be a big boon in PVE.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Matthew525011 on Jul 6, 2017 wrote:

Like the author says it would just be at least one summon, and I think the idea of making it as if they were reinforcements would be cool

I get that it might make PvP slightly harder but outside of PvP it would be a fun power to use in your main storyline adventures and it could be used in non-summon privy