Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

"Yom K'mir the Ghastly" fight analysis and suggestions.

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
The boss of the Manchu's Curious Coins event is an undead Aztecosaur known as Yom K'mit the Ghastly. The fight itself can be challenging if you don't know what you're doing, but other than that it's fairly straightforward. The drops are uncommon but nice - I was fortunate enough to get the signature Crow Wings Mount - and it makes a nice side activity.

Given that the week of this event is almost over and I've done this fight a few times, I thought I'd offer an analysis and offer suggestions for improvement.

The fight mainly goes like this: focus fire on Yom K'mir until he is destroyed, then move towards the minions to dispose of them and end the fight. It's somewhat simple and the battle is usually finished in a couple of turns.

Here is my complaint: this fight is too easy. In every fight I have done, I have felt no pressure to win; few or no Companions were taken down during my battles, and the boss is often annihilated before they can even do anything of note. While the fight is interesting, I feel that it lacks the difficulty or unique gimmick to make it truly exciting. Because of this, the battles have slowly become just another grind.

I feel that this fight needs to be harder in order to be more exciting. With that in mind, here are my suggestions:
  • Yom K'mir the Ghastly needs some centralizing gimmick or trick to make him more of a threat. I can imagine a few forms this could take. Yom K'mir could have high HP and offensive stats to make him more of a direct threat (anyone remember Diskylos from Aquila?), and he could be positioned so that he is difficult to target on the first turn before his approach. Another idea borrows from Kane and the Tower of Moo Manchu; Yom K'mir could be unable to be defeated until all his minions are destroyed first. The first idea could be complimented by giving Yom K'mir the Alert skill (making him take less damage from hazards), and the second could be complimented with slightly tougher Minions. Other concepts are also possible (Soul Harvest could be interesting...)
  • The Ghastly Mummies in the fight could do with an improvement. They have the Epic Talents Mojo Rising 2, Mojo Echo 2, and Improved Mojo Blast 1. Despite the damage this combination could cause, they all spend their time casting Soulreaver, Mojo Blast or occasionally summoning more minions. I believe this actually causes them to do less damage. Their AI should be modified to do basic attacks more often.
  • Less of a suggestion and more of a bug report: The Ghastly Monquistadors have a problem with their attack animations. Sometimes it fails to play, and other times their attacks use the critical hit animation. The basic attack animation never plays.
  • The Ghastly Freebooters are mostly fine, though I think their Rain of Mortarshells could be upgraded to Hail of Cannonballs; if they're going to lay traps, the traps need to do more damage!

If anyone else has any thoughts they want to share, feel free to join the discussion.

Lieutenant
Mar 18, 2022
Lookit Light on Jul 17, 2022 wrote:
The boss of the Manchu's Curious Coins event is an undead Aztecosaur known as Yom K'mit the Ghastly. The fight itself can be challenging if you don't know what you're doing, but other than that it's fairly straightforward. The drops are uncommon but nice - I was fortunate enough to get the signature Crow Wings Mount - and it makes a nice side activity.

Given that the week of this event is almost over and I've done this fight a few times, I thought I'd offer an analysis and offer suggestions for improvement.

The fight mainly goes like this: focus fire on Yom K'mir until he is destroyed, then move towards the minions to dispose of them and end the fight. It's somewhat simple and the battle is usually finished in a couple of turns.

Here is my complaint: this fight is too easy. In every fight I have done, I have felt no pressure to win; few or no Companions were taken down during my battles, and the boss is often annihilated before they can even do anything of note. While the fight is interesting, I feel that it lacks the difficulty or unique gimmick to make it truly exciting. Because of this, the battles have slowly become just another grind.

I feel that this fight needs to be harder in order to be more exciting. With that in mind, here are my suggestions:
  • Yom K'mir the Ghastly needs some centralizing gimmick or trick to make him more of a threat. I can imagine a few forms this could take. Yom K'mir could have high HP and offensive stats to make him more of a direct threat (anyone remember Diskylos from Aquila?), and he could be positioned so that he is difficult to target on the first turn before his approach. Another idea borrows from Kane and the Tower of Moo Manchu; Yom K'mir could be unable to be defeated until all his minions are destroyed first. The first idea could be complimented by giving Yom K'mir the Alert skill (making him take less damage from hazards), and the second could be complimented with slightly tougher Minions. Other concepts are also possible (Soul Harvest could be interesting...)
  • The Ghastly Mummies in the fight could do with an improvement. They have the Epic Talents Mojo Rising 2, Mojo Echo 2, and Improved Mojo Blast 1. Despite the damage this combination could cause, they all spend their time casting Soulreaver, Mojo Blast or occasionally summoning more minions. I believe this actually causes them to do less damage. Their AI should be modified to do basic attacks more often.
  • Less of a suggestion and more of a bug report: The Ghastly Monquistadors have a problem with their attack animations. Sometimes it fails to play, and other times their attacks use the critical hit animation. The basic attack animation never plays.
  • The Ghastly Freebooters are mostly fine, though I think their Rain of Mortarshells could be upgraded to Hail of Cannonballs; if they're going to lay traps, the traps need to do more damage!

If anyone else has any thoughts they want to share, feel free to join the discussion.
This is incredibly well thought-out and written feedback. Thank you! Players like you, even if the specifics of your feedback don't get into the game, make the game better.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I believe I have found a way to trivialize this combat encounter.

The battlefield is divided into narrow corridors where the enemies approach. If these corridors are blocked (primarily by the use of the Musketeer's Raise Barricade power), the enemies don't seem to know what to do. Yom K'imil and the Ghastly Monquistadors stay put and let themselves be picked off with ranged attacks, while the Ghastly Mummies and Freebooters are rendered less effective with this obstruction to their sight. They don't even attack the barricades I put up to force their way through!

I feel that this needs to be examined. This method makes the fight far too easy.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Just to satisfy my curiosity, I entered the Yellow Door with a Level 11 Pirate and was surprised to see that the Level 14 creatures in the instance all had abilities of Ranks 3 and 4 - the same as the versions that appear behind the Red Door for Level 70 Pirates. The health of the boss at 1300 seems quite high, although his creatures at 287 and 474 seem more reasonable. Surely they weren't meant to be that over-powered when facing Pirates below Level 14?

Even a full team of 4 pirates of the appropriate level haven't the armor or strength to overcome Riposte 3, Repel Boarders 4 and Vengeance Strike 4 from this battle -- or was it intended that new players depend upon having Level 70 pirates joining with us to accomplish our "daily task" battles?

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Willowydream on Aug 13, 2022 wrote:
Just to satisfy my curiosity, I entered the Yellow Door with a Level 11 Pirate and was surprised to see that the Level 14 creatures in the instance all had abilities of Ranks 3 and 4 - the same as the versions that appear behind the Red Door for Level 70 Pirates. The health of the boss at 1300 seems quite high, although his creatures at 287 and 474 seem more reasonable. Surely they weren't meant to be that over-powered when facing Pirates below Level 14?

Even a full team of 4 pirates of the appropriate level haven't the armor or strength to overcome Riposte 3, Repel Boarders 4 and Vengeance Strike 4 from this battle -- or was it intended that new players depend upon having Level 70 pirates joining with us to accomplish our "daily task" battles?

You're right, that is peculiar.

Yet another thing to be examined, I suppose.